• Published 4th Oct 2021
  • 1,352 Views, 15 Comments

Strange New World - karmathewriter

  • ...
0
 15
 1,352

New Body, New Town

After waking up from my trip of flying through who knows what, the first sight I saw was a lighthouse off in the distance. It was a sunny day that felt much like a spring day and a town not too far off could be seen as well. As I was getting up and standing on my two legs, I instantly fell on my back. I thought to myself:“Wait…that can’t be right.” I then tried to move my hands and feet. “Nothing. What’s going on?”. I raised my arms to my face only to reveal… hooves? “Hooves!” I shouted. I used them to feel my face and body: A snout on my face, ears pointing upwards and something on my back? Wings, bat wings to be precise and fangs in my mouth. “I’M A PONY!!!”

Of course I panicked a bit, trying to figure out how and why I was a pony. I’m sure anyone would’ve panicked too if they suddenly turned into a pony as well. I slowly calmed myself down, figuring I might as well learn how to properly move this new body before I’d make myself look like a complete fool. I stood on all fours for the first time, feeling a little off balance and almost falling onto my side. I quickly got my balance back though and started to walk around a bit. Sadly, that was a little tricky and I tripped over my own hooves multiple times. I was glad no one was watching me or I would’ve died of embarrassment.

About ten minutes later, I could finally walk without tripping most of the time and I started practicing running around a little bit. Just in case if I ever found myself in some tight spots. After that I wondered if I should practice flying a little bit, seeing as I have wings and to be perfectly honest: Flying around is so much more fun than using magic or having strong muscles. Surprisingly it worked. Feeling the air ruffling your mane, having a bird‘s eye view of the land beneath you? It all felt so free and liberating.

After a while I started to hear screams from the town not too far from where I was at. I immediately thought the town was under attack by something and feeling like I should help out in any way I could, I flew over to the town looking out for any monsters or ponies that were hurt or trapped. From up above I spotted two ponies that were running through allies and everyone seemed to be hurrying away from them. “Ok, what’s going on here?” I mumbled when I saw them back in the open and the unicorn being caught inside what seemed to be a metal box.

“It’s Ok, the unicorn has been caught. You may now cheer.”

After an earth pony said that, everyone started to cheer on command. This was getting so confusing. Did the unicorn do something wrong and why is everyone here an earth pony? Weren’t there any pegasi or unicorns around here? I was torn out of my thoughts when I saw another earth pony walking towards the box. The one who seemed to be in charge saw her too and shouted in a warning tone:

“Sunny!”

That was it, I needed some answers and someone was going to give them to me. I flew down and landed near the metal box. I looked at both of them.

“Sorry to interrupt but I need some answers on what’s going on here. What is this town, who are you two and why is there a unicorn trapped inside this metal box?”

To say I got mixed messages would be an understatement to say the least. The pony on my right looked at me with fear and caution, while the one on my left was curious and awe struck when seeing me. I guessed her name was Sunny going by what the male pony said to her and maybe she could show me around and fill in any of my questions… at least I hoped so.

“Y-your a pegasus!” Sunny said with a bit of a stutter while everyone else began to scream again, running away from me now and acting like I was some sort of monster.

“You stop right there! By the order of sheriff Hitch of Maretime bay, you are under arrest.”

Now I was completely confused and a bit angered to be honest:“Under arrest on what charge!?”

“For being a pegasus!”

“WHAT!!! That can’t be a real law, that doesn’t make any sense!”

“Well, it’s how it is here in Maretime bay and I suggest you turn yourself in.'' Hitch said, walking closer towards me. I pressed the button to let the unicorn inside out, though even she looked a little scared of me. Ok, now I was starting to take this a little personal but first getting away from the crazy sheriff, then getting some answers.

“Does one of you two know what to do now?” I asked, waiting for one of them to come up with a plan.

“I-I do, this way, we’ll go to my house.” Sunny said as she started running with the unicorn following right behind her. I beat my wings and flew behind them, looking back to see the sheriff pointing at us but thankfully a pony next to him slid his way into the same metal box the unicorn was in mere moments ago, kind of smiling a bit as he did that. I got the feeling that he was quite a coward.

A few minutes later, we entered the same lighthouse I saw earlier. To my surprise was it Sunny’s home. One look inside and I saw some maps, drawings and artifacts that seemed familiar to me. When I took another look at one of the maps, I saw one that showed Ponyville, Canterlot and Cloudsdale.

“I can’t believe it! A unicorn and a pegasus are in my house. This is so cool! Wait no, this is bad. Very, very bad! They are in my house. This is so fascinating.”

I looked at Sunny as she was staring at both me and the unicorn. The unicorn walked up to her: “Do earth ponies also like staring contests?” She started to look her directly in the eyes, acting like this was indeed a staring contest. Then she blinked and playfully declared:“Ah, you win, I blinked!“

“Um, excuse me, Sunny, right?” She nodded and I sat down on my hind legs. “Would you mind telling me what’s going on here? Why is everyone afraid of me and her? And why does everyone think I’m a pegasus? I’m a thestrial, a bat pony.”

“Wait, a bat pony? What are they?” Sunny asked curiously.

“You know, bat ponies. We are devoted followers of Lady Luna, our moon goddess.”

“Lady Luna?”

“Princess Luna, Sister of Celestia, Alicorn Ruler of Equestria, though I guess now it would be Twilight Sparkle.”

“Who’s Celestia and Who’s Twilight?”. When sunny said that, I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. At this point, I was thinking she was joking or was trying to pull a prank on me.

“Ok, stop messing around Sunny, this isn’t funny. Twilight Sparkle is the princess of friendship, an alicorn for crying out loud. You even have her cutie mark here on your wall, see?” I pointed at the poster of twilight’s cutie mark, emphasising my point.

“Those were made by my father. He was researching ancient equestria and told me all the 3 pony tribes were once united.”

“Well of course they were united! pegasi worked on the weather, unicorns worked on the magic and earth ponies worked on the land. Bringing harmony to all three tribes. That‘s also what hearts warming eve is all about.”

“Hearts warming eve?”

I started to realize she wasn’t joking and was being completely serious. My ears folded down and I looked at her. “Y-you really don’t know, do you?” I stared down, feeling lost and nearly more confused than I ever was before in my life.

“So, what’s your name, mr. bat pony?” the unicorn spoke up, catching me off guard and shifting my attention fully to her.

“Call me…Snow Comet. And you are?”

“The name is Izzy Moonbow, nice to meet you!“ she extended her hoove towards me and I did the same, making a simple hoove shake.

“Alright, Izzy, I have so many questions for you, let me get my journal.” Sunny ran around the house, getting her journal and moving some stuff away from the table to make room for it.

“Ok, first off, where do you live, Izzy?”

“Bridlewood.”

“Bridlewood? Where‘s that?” I asked, trying to get a grasp of this new world and learning about these two ponies.

“Oh, it’s a forest that’s about a day or two from here.” Izzy commented, smiling brightly at me as I started to cheer up a little from the fact that the last generation seemed to be ancient or something similar to a make believe.

“I knew it! Second question: do you really live in trees? Do you like pizza? If so, what toppings? If not, why not?” Sunny then went wide-eyed and threw a can full of beans onto the floor. “Oh, can you make this levitate?”

We all looked down and Izzy happily replied: “No, but I can do this!” She scooped up the can and started hitting it, keeping it up in the air, then opening it for the beans to spill onto the floor with the can falling on top of the heap shortly after. “Ta da!”

I chuckled a little. The sight of Izzy just being wholesome was incredibly cute and funny, though Sunny started to feel let down by something.

“You don’t have any magic-”

“Sunny Starscout!” We heard a mic, though it was more like it was screeching afterwards, hurting my ears a bit and it definitely seemed like it hurt hitch’s as well. Sunny walked over to see what was going on and behold: The sheriff and his deputy were here.

“Sunny Starscout! I know you’re in there with the unicorn and pegasus. Come out with your hooves up in the air and surrender.”

We heard the deputy talking, saying they had us surrounded. At this point, I was starting to miss the royal guards. Sure, they were idiots but at least they were trying and not embarrassing themselves… well most of the time anyways.

“You are under arrest, Sunny! I don’t want to hurt you.”

“Oh, this is bad! Tell me: how sneaky are you two?”

Izzy said medium sneaky, and I said pretty good at it, seeing how I can fly and all. “Perfect, I’ll go distract them while you two sneak out of the back door.”

Izzy rolled her eyes and told her to relax, she’d just talk to them. Sunny and I both thought at the same time:“that’s a bad idea.“. Before we could get her back inside though, she was already talking to them.

“Hey guys, now I know what you're thinking…“

Seeing the deputy wearing whatever it was on his head and reacting to that statement with fear, I was at a loss for words at this point. I wanted to bang my head against this wall, trying to make sense of this crazy world. But seeing him running away and saying he’ll get some reinforcements, both Sunny and I bolted out the door, running away from the sight of the sheriff. Off in the distance I heard him complaining. A chuckle escaped me and I was very tempted to add salt to the wound. This crazy journey could be fun and who knows? Maybe I’d discover what happened here. One thing was sure: with Sunny and Izzy by my side, it’d be exciting no matter what happend!