• Published 13th Sep 2021
  • 1,379 Views, 29 Comments

A Love as Rare as Dragonfire - Alabenson



Rarity realizes she's developed feelings for Spike, now an adult. But, is there still time to act on these feelings, or has her opportunity already passed her by?

  • ...
2
 29
 1,379

Sudden Realizations

Although the monthly meetings of Princess Twilight’s Council of Friendship were some of the only times she and her friends were gathered together, they were far from the only times she saw her friends individually. Pinkie Pie, for example, visited Canterlot quite frequently in her capacity as the official Royal Party Planner, as did Rainbow Dash, the Wonderbolts new Royal Liaison. And while Fluttershy and Applejack didn’t have official business to take them to Canterlot, they still found excuses to visit often enough. Of all of Princess Twilight’s friends, however, the one who visited her the most was Rarity. In fact, it had increasingly seemed that, between her business and social connections, Rarity spent nearly as much time in Canterlot as she did in Ponyville. As a consequence of this, Rarity had taken responsibility for keeping the rest of her friend group up to date on the various goings on in Canterlot. In fact, it had become a habit for Twilight’s friends to gather together at Twilight’s former castle for lunch whenever Rarity returned from a trip to Canterlot so she could keep them all up to date.


“So, Rainbow Dash, how are things at Sweet Apple Acres?” Starlight Glimmer asked as she Rainbow Dash and Applejack waited for the others to arrive.

“It’s…fine,” Rainbow Dash replied through gritted teeth.

“Ah think RD’s been havin’ some trouble gettin’ used to gettin’ up when the rooster crows,” Applejack laughed, earning a dirty look from Rainbow Dash.

“I get up early enough when I’m staying at Wonderbolt HQ. Today was supposed to be my day off!” Rainbow Dash slumped back to the table. “Stupid feral windstorm blowing my house over Sweet Apple Acres.” Rainbow Dash continued to grumble to herself as the doors opened and Fluttershy trotted in, followed closely by a waddling Pinkie Pie. Pregnancy had left Pinkie Pie somewhat less mobile than usual, but she seemed no less cheerful.

“Sorry we’re a little late. I just haven’t been able to around as quickly, even since the mayor made me stop using my party cannon-powered pregnancy wagon,” Pinkie Pie said as she settled into her seat. “So, is everypony here?”

“Just about. We’re just waiting for Rarity to get here,” Starlight said. “Speaking of whom, has anypony else noticed that she’s been a little on edge these last few weeks?” Starlight’s question was met by a round of murmuring and nodding heads.

“Y’all reckon it could be nerves about her business? Ah remember her sayin’ she’s been lookin’ into openin’ a store up in Yakyakistan, and Ah can’t imagine that’s gonna be too calmin’ a project,” Applejack said.

“I don’t think that’d be it,” Fluttershy said. “Rarity hired Yona to help manage Carousel Boutique, and I’m pretty sure Yonas would also be able to help with a new shop in Yakyakistan, too.”

“So, Yona’s staying in Ponyville too, huh?” Rainbow Dash said. “I think that pretty makes that entire group, doesn’t it? Aside from Gallus, I mean, and he just moved to Canterlot with Moonwhisper and Twilight.” Any further idle conversation was abruptly put on hold as the doors suddenly swung open and Rarity marched into the room with a deadly serious expression on her face.

“Ladies,” Rarity began as she placed both front hooves on the table. “I’m afraid that there is a crisis brewing in Canterlot, one that threatens one of our dearest friends, and I shall require the aid of everypony present to deal with it.” Everypony at the table immediately sat up just a bit straighter at this proclamation.

“What’s going on?” Rainbow Dash asked. “Did some villains escape? Is a monster on the rampage? Is the next Daring Do book delayed?”

“Worse,” Rarity replied solemnly. “For you see, Canterlot is currently being invaded by a horde of, of, crystal hussies!” Rarity’s statement was met with nearly a full minute of quiet from the assembled ponies, the only sound being Pinkie Pie as she snacked on a tub of peanut butter and pickle ice cream. Eventually, Applejack was the first to break the silence.

“Beggin’ yer pardon, sugar, but Ah gotta ask. What?”

Rarity let out a sigh, as if she were expecting this response. “For sometime now, ever since Spikey-Wikey’s last birthday, in fact, I’ve noticed that Canterlot has been playing host to an ever-increasing number of crystal pony mares. At first, I didn’t think much of it, but then I started to notice that they all seemed to fit the same mold. Young, single, and spending an awful lot of time finding excuses to hang around the castle. And, admittedly, I didn’t see anything too out of the ordinary about this, either. There’s nothing really new about young mares trying to attract a well-shod stallion.” Rarity paused to take a deep breath before continuing. “But that was before I learned the truth about who exactly these, these, Jezebels were trying to seduce!”

“Aw hay, don’t tell me Twilight’s got a herd of wannabe homewreckers to worry about,” Applejack groaned.

“What? No no no, these strumpets aren’t trying to seduce Moonwhisper,” Rarity quickly corrected. “They’re trying to seduce Spike!” This revelation was met by another brief silence from Rarity’s friends.

“So?” Rainbow Dash eventually said. “I mean, didn’t Ember say that Spike was, you know, pretty much grown by dragon standards after his last growth spurt? I mean, he’s probably gonna get bigger, but-”

“What Rainbow Dash is tryin’ to say is Spike’s old enough to deal with that sort of thing on his own. And besides which, why the hay are y’all so riled up about it, anyway?” Applejack asked, earning an offended huff from Rarity.

“Of all the – our dear friend is in danger of being taken advantage of by some floozy who only cares about his renown and you want to know why I’m upset?” Rarity snapped.

“Alright, alright, Ah guess Ah can see yer point, don’t go gettin’ yer tail in a tangle,” Applejack said, which appeared to mollify Rarity somewhat. “That bein’ said, how the hay do y’all know the crystal mares are all after Spike like that, anyway? It doesn’t exactly sound like the sort of thing they’d be braggin’ about.”

“Yes, well, despite my suspicions on the matter, I didn’t actually have any proof until last night when I overheard a pair of them plotting inside my boutique. They were talking about how they wanted to be certain they would attract the attention of a ‘Brave and Glorious’ coltfriend and how wonderful it would be to be involved with somecreature of his status.”

“Okay, I’ll admit that does sound – actually, that doesn’t really sound that bad at all,” Starlight said. “I mean, maybe somepony like that wouldn’t be all that great for Spike, but it doesn’t really strike me as an actual emergency.”

“Yeah, isn’t this kinda like the time you freaked out because Spike started hanging out with Gabby instead spending all his time with you?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“What? No, this is nothing like that!” Rarity protested. “I admit I was a touch possessive of Spike back then, but this is different! I just can’t bear the thought of my Spikey-Wikey having his heart played with, and I’m certainly not going to sit around and do nothing when there’s nopony else that can help him.”

“What about Twilight?” Starlight asked in exasperated tone. “Let’s say, for the sake of argument, that his whole crystal mare business is really as big a deal as you say it is. Shouldn’t we make sure Twilight knows about his, then? I mean, she is Spike’s…surrogate big sister, I think? I was never totally clear on that. The point is, Twilight and Spike are family, so I’m pretty sure she’d want to know about…whatever this is.”

“Under normal circumstances Twilight would have absolutely been the first pony I’d have talked to about this. But I’m not sure I’d want to trouble her with something like this right now. The poor dear simply has enough on her plate as it is between running Equestria and trying for a foal with Moonwhisper,” Rarity said. The moment Rarity said this, the entire table erupted in excitement.

“Are y’all serious? Why the hay didn’t y’all lead with that in the first place?” Applejack said.

“Seriously,” Rainbow Dash added. “I mean, way to leave out the important news. So, Twilight and Moonwhisper are trying to have a foal, huh? What do you wanna bet that foal’s gonna be the biggest egghead the world’s ever seen?”

“Yeah, probably,” Starlight laughed. “Or, at least the most organized.”

“Now, be nice,” Fluttershy chided. “I’m sure Twilight and Moonwhisper are going to be wonderful parents.”

“Yeah, and I can’t wait to start setting up playdates for Cheesy Pie and…do you think Twilight and Moonwhisper have started thinking of names yet? Ooh, I know, we should start planning a foalshower!”

“Really, girls, I understand that you’re all excited about the news, but could we please focus on the more pressing matter?” Rarity said in a vain effort to regain control of the conversation. “We need to figure out what we’re going to do about –”

“Come on, Rarity, would you just give it a rest already?” Rainbow Dash said. “We get it, you’re jealous that Spike’s got a bunch of mares throwing themselves at him. You don’t need to make such a big deal about it.”

“Jealous?” Rarity replied indignantly. “You really think that the only reason I’m trying to protect my Spikey-Wikey is because I’m jealous?”

“To be fair, sugar cube, it wouldn’t be the first time y’all went a little nutty ‘cause somecreature got between y’all and Spike,” Applejack said.

“Yeah, I mean, to be honest, Rarity, you might want to tone down the possessiveness a bit. Otherwise, ponies might start to talk,” Starlight added.

“And just what exactly is that supposed to mean?” Rarity asked, narrowing her eyes at Starlight.

“Well…ponies might start gossiping that you’re acting like this because you’ve got a crush or something on Spike.”

“Of all the…” Rarity said. “Is that really what you think? That the only reason I’m concerned for my friend is that I have a crush on him? I mean, yes, Spike is a wonderful sweetheart, not to mention a true gentlecolt. He’s considerate, generous, easily one of the most caring…” Rarity’s voice trailed off as a look of dawning realization slowly settled across her features. “Oh my, I…oh dear. Ladies, if you’ll please excuse me, I…I have to go.” With that, Rarity stood up from the table and swiftly dashed out the door before any of her friends could say another word.

“Huh, Ah can’t say Ah saw that one comin’,” Applejack remarked mildly after a few moments of stunned silence passed.

“Not according to our pool you didn’t, anyway,” Pinkie Pie said as she flicked her tail, sending a large stack of papers onto the table, the top page declaring it the ‘Ponyville Rarity loves Spike/Rarity doesn’t love Spike betting pool’. “Let’s see, Starlight and Rainbow Dash did see that coming, along with Pristine Facets from the jewelry store, Cotton Yarn from the fabric store…”

“It does explain why Rarity’s so upset over the crystal mares in Canterlot, though,” Fluttershy said.

“…Aloe and Lotus from the Ponyville Day Spa, Lyra Heartstrings (not Bon Bon though, huh)…”

“So, what do you think Rarity’s gonna do now?” Rainbow Dash asked. “You think she’ll actually talk to Spike and tell him how she feels? Or is this gonna be one of those times where we have to go through a whole friendship problem thing?”

“…Sweetie Belle, Ocellus – wait, was it cheating to let a changeling make a bet on this?” Pinkie Pie asked.

“We agreed it was fine, though Ah’m startin’ to think Ah shoulda asked her before Ah put down those extra fifteen bits,” Applejack said. “So, what the hay do we do now?”

“At this point, I don’t think we really do anything,” Starlight said. “At least, not until Rarity decides what she’s going to do, anyway.”

*********