• Published 8th Sep 2012
  • 5,020 Views, 97 Comments

On The Wings of a Dream - Shadowswipe



When a griffin becomes an outcast, you're her only friend in a world of haters.

  • ...
12
 97
 5,020

Chapter 3

You awake in your bed, your feathers a mess. You rub your eyes and stand, the sun just starting to peak through your window, meaning it was still quite early. You stand, getting a little head rush, you shake off the dizziness and head down the stairs. Your mind was still plagued with images of Gilda, why did she take an extended amount of time before helping you up? You think to yourself.

You dodge the low ceiling beams on your way down the stairs, you look out the window, the ground and the plants shimmered with the morning dew. You begin to clean yourself up, preening your feathers and flattening the feathers that were out of place.

Your routine was interrupted by a knock at the door. You look up at the door, wondering who it could be, none of your friends would be up this early, and none of the mail ponies knocked.

You slowly walk towards the door and open it a crack. You peek through the crack, all you see is feathers. You open the door a little more, only to be greeted by Gilda.

“Oh, uh, hey.” You say awkwardly.

“Sup.” Gilda says.

“I was just preening. What are you doing here?” You ask.

“Meh, Dash was asleep and I had nothing better to do.” She says with a shrug.

“Okay, come on in.” You say, you open the door for Gilda; she walks in and stands in the living room.

“It’s small.” Gilda says looking around your house.

“Yeah, but hey, it’s a roof over my head.” You say walking up beside her.

“You have a point.” Gilda says.

“How did you find me?” You ask.

“It’s not hard, just ask where the griffin lives.” Gilda says.

“I see…” You trail off.

“I’m free until noon, if you wanna hang.” Gilda says, breaking the silence.

“Sure, I have nothing better to do,” You say. You look around your house, it’s a little messy and you haven’t cleaned your preened feathers off the floor yet. “Uh, sorry about the mess. I haven’t had time to clean yet.”

“It’s no biggie. You should see Dash’s place, it’s about a hundred times worse than this. It’s almost as if she doesn’t know how to clean.” Gilda said with a chuckle. You give a light chuckle as well.

“It’s still pretty early; I doubt there will be anything for us to do for a few hours.” You say, taking another peek out the window.

“We could always test your flying abilities again.” Gilda offered.

“I guess we could.” You say with a smile.

You and Gilda head for the door, she shoves you out of the way and opens the door.

“I’ll see ya in the clouds.” Gilda says. She takes a few steps forward and takes off, headed straight up into the clouds.
You watch as she takes off. You walk, turn and lock the door. You take a few steps forward and take off for the clouds, following the same path as Gilda.

You’re quickly above the clouds. You pump your wings and hover above the clouds, scanning for any sign of Gilda, suddenly you knocked off balance be something hitting you in the shoulder. You spin around and see Gilda taking off for the horizon. You pump your wings and follow her. You see her look back over her shoulder, you swear you see a smile on her face, but she just flies faster. You also pump your wings harder and harder, you can feel a numb feeling starting in the tips of your wings, your head was also starting to ache.

You look away for a second, just to take in the scenery, when you look back she’s gone. You stop and look around. You see a lump moving in the clouds. You land silently on the cloud and tip-toe towards the lump. When you get closer you see little specs of purple sticking through the cloud, obviously some of Gilda’s feathers. You rear up and jump at the lump. The cloud was weak where she was, you break through and tackle her, but the cloud wasn’t strong enough for the two of you, you and Gilda fall through and plummet towards the ground.

“What the hell dude!” Gilda screams, she wraps her arms around you. You can feel her squeeze for safety. You open you wings and catch the air. You and Gilda are now gliding slowly towards the ground. You look down and smile at Gilda.

“My bad.” You say.

“Shut up and put me down.” Gilda says her tone violent and aggressive.

“It was just for fun.” You say defensively.

“I don’t care, you still shouldn’t have done that.” She says.

“Fine.” You retort. You land and put Gilda down. She stands and looks at you. You can see some rage filling up inside of her. She reaches out and punches you in the shoulder.

“Even though it was stupid, it was still fun. I’ll see ya around.” Gilda says. You can see the rage start to drain from her system.

“Yeah, I’ll see ya.” You say. You watch as Gilda takes off, she heads for Dash’s place. You shrug and head home, it did need some major cleaning done.


A few hours later and your house was clean. Your mind was filled with new questions. “Why did she come to me?” You ask aloud.

You take a short break after cleaning, you just sit in your living room and close your eyes, you can feel yourself starting to fall asleep. You snap yourself back to consciousness; you look outside and notice the sky is completely clear.

“I guess Gilda will be busy with Dash today.” You say.

You decide to go for a stroll, you stand, head out the door and down the path towards town. A few minutes later and you’re in the middle of town. You look around, scanning all the ponies walking about, some you recognized and some looked completely alien to you. You hear some heavy wing beats above, you look up and see Gilda chasing Rainbow Dash, you smile and notice a pink pony bouncing after them on the ground. You think nothing of it and continue on your walk.

The market was crowded today, which was strange because there was never a day where the market was overly crowded, but this was insane. All you could here was a wall of noise, roughly a hundred ponies trying to talk over each other, it was crazy. Where did all these ponies come from? You think. You take to the skies, getting a better picture of the scene. It looked like a painting, so many colors moving back and forth. It must be a massive sale of something. You think. You fly over to an empty field and land, it was a very over grown field, and it buzzed with bugs moving through it. You found a relatively clear spot to sit, it was a very peaceful spot away from the commotion of the city.

You for your wings to your sides and lie down; the grass had a strange feeling on your feathers, it was a very rough feeling, it was as if the grass didn’t get enough rain and became dry and brittle, but you digress. You fold your arms in front of you and lay your head across them. You close your eyes and let the various insects sing you their lullabies.


You wake up in the field, but this looked strange, the grass was now a bright green and the sky was a bright orange. The clouds raced across the sky, it was quite off putting at first. This was also not a true world. You are dreaming, and you’re aware of that fact, this was a lucid dream. Strange, you’ve had these lucid dreams before, but this one was different, before you dreamt of different times and places, but you’ve never dreamt of your current location. This was all new to you.

You stand and take a step forward, you stumble, but not because you were weak, but because the ground shifted under your foot. You look down and see a deep crater where your foot was. You look up and see a brown figure a few feet in front of you. You look down and take another step, the ground doesn’t move, you look forward and take another step, again nothing. You feel confident enough to take multiple steps, you start to walk normally and the ground stays still, the brown figure is getting further though. You pick up the pace, so does it. You’re in a full out gallop now, the figure getting further and further now. You unfold your wings and take off. The figure stops moving. The closer you get the more of the figure you can make out. It started to come into proper view. It’s a griffin.

You’re a little shocked at what you see, this griffin also looked familiar. You glide lower to the ground to get a better look at it. As you get closer you recognize who it was, it was Gilda.

Once again you’re shocked at what you see. You land and walk towards her, she looks back and sighs.

“Gilda?” You ask, your voice echoes strangely.

“Oh go away.” She retorts.

“What’s wrong?” You ask. You walk closer to her, you hear sniffs, almost as if she were crying.

“Nothing, go away!” She says, a more forceful tone besetting her voice.

“But Gilda, you can trust me.” You say, your voice calm and soft.

“Leave!” She shouts, her voice cracks, revealing that she is in fact crying.

“Okay, I’m going. But don’t be afraid to talk to me.” You say, you turn and start to walk away.

“Wait,” You hear a quivering voice say, “Come back… Please.” You look back at Gilda; she was hanging her head low. You walk over beside her and wrap one of your wings around her shoulders.

“What’s wrong?” You ask. Gilda looks up at you, tears welling up in her eyes.

“I don’t know,” Gilda says, her voice cracking and quivering. “I just broke down here.”

“We all need to let it out at some point.” You say.

“I know, but this isn’t normal for me.” Gilda says.

“Is there something on your mind?” You ask.

“No, not at the moment.” She says.

You look around, you feel yourself becoming a little depressed at Gilda’s state, and it’s strange to see a strong girl like her have an emotional breakdown. You wanted to help Gilda, but you couldn’t figure out how. You could feel her shake and shiver under your wing. You looked forward at this twisted dream world. Nothing looked right, and you know none of this was real, but you still wanted to help her.

A light pitter patter could be heard now. You look up at the sky and see that it’s raining, but this was an off rain, when it touched you you didn’t get wet and it wasn’t cold, it was a very warm rain. Gilda seemed to be getting wet though; you spread your wing out a little, giving her more protection from the rain.

There was a prolonged awkward silence now. Neither you nor Gilda broke it. The two of you sit in silence. You look around, just to give your mind something to do.

This place was different, massive rolling hills and monstrous trees surrounded you. It was a strange sight, the green of the grass seemed to pulsate, and the trees swayed but there was no wind. The sky was clearing up now, it revealed not a sky, but space. It was light, but there was no sun in the sky. The black sky was dotted with stars and galaxies, it was all kind of scary, to think all of this came from your mind. The rain still fell even though there were no clouds.

You feel Gilda collapse under your wing, your attention is instantly brought to her. She was lying on the ground motionless. Is she dead? You think. You lower your wing so it’s over her body, shielding her from the rain. You raise your claw and place it on her back. She was cold.

You pull your claw back in shock, you look around, the trees were swaying more violently now. The rain was falling harder now, but you could feel it. It was a freezing rain, ice formed on your wings and in your feathers. You start to panic, your head starts to ache and your heart beats faster and faster. You stand and begin to run. The ice crackling as you run, you can feel your wings becoming heavier and heavier.

You unfold your wings and flap wildly, the ice cracking and falling off as you flap. You flap harder and get off the ground, but the ice in your feathers makes you heavier than normal. You head was now pounding, a pulsating pain forms in the front of your head, you wings were numb and you breathing erratic.

A large glob of rain hits you right in face, freezing instantly. You were now blind, you vision was really obstructed by the sheet of ice on your face. You could only make you what was the ground and what was the sky. Your body was getting harder to keep in the air.

Finally you couldn’t hold it, the ice on your wings became too much for you to hold. You fall head first towards the ground. Your mind is racing. This is the end. Goodbye. You say in your head. As the large green mass gets closer and closer, you feel you mind start to shut down. Now all you can see is green, no doubt you were about to hit the ground.

You slam head first into the ground with a loud crack. You feel a sharp pain start in the top of your head, it travels down your neck and further down your back. You can’t move any of your body parts. You could feel the life leaving your body. There was a creeping coldness moving up your legs, it slowly made its way up your body and into your neck. You close your eyes and wait for the inevitable.


Your eyes shoot open, you’re gasping for breath. You look around; you’re back in the field.

“A dream, it was just a dream.” You say aloud panting. You stand and look at the sky trying to determine the time, it looked like it was a little past noon. You could feel yourself sweating. You sigh and take a few steps forward, cautiously watching the ground. You take a few more steps forward and take off for the sky; you look around, your mind still plagued with images from that dream. You decide to head home and try to forget about the dream.


When you arrive at home you notice a pink envelope taped to your front door, its sealed shut with a sticker, the sticker was small, round and had a picture of three balloons on it. You knew that mark well, it was the sign of Pinkie Pie, but you didn’t feel like attending one of her parties right now. You cast the envelope aside and step into your home.

About ten minutes after you return home you hear pounding on your door, you walk over to investigate. You open the door only to be shoved out of the way. You look at the intruder, it was Gilda.

“Uh Gilda, you alright?” You ask. Gilda looks over at you, there’s a fire in her eyes, a fire you’ve never seen before, it was almost as if she was about to burst from rage.

“No I’m not alright!” Gilda says angrily.

“What happened?” You prod.

“Dash happened. She’s such a-a-a flip-flop! One minute she’s super awesome and totally fun to hang around with, and then the next minute she’s turning her friends against me and telling me to leave.” Gilda explained.

“What? I thought you and Dash were the best of friends.” You say.

“Yeah, me too.” Gilda says, she lets out a defeated sounding sigh.

“I’m sorry.” You say.

“Why would you be? No one else is.” Gilda says.

“I don’t know what I can say, but let me tell you this. I’ll always be here for you. Always.” You say your tone serious.
You take a few steps closer to Gilda. She looks up at you, then she throws her arms around your neck and pulls you into a hug.

“Thank you.” She says, her voice much softer than normal. You feel something fall onto your chest; you look down and see tears running down your feathers.

“Gilda, are you crying?” You ask. You feel Gilda pull you closer and squeeze a little more. She sniffs and nods. You put a claw on her back and pat it.

“It’s okay Gilda, it’ll all be okay. I promise.” You say, you voice calm and soft.

“You can’t promise that.” Gilda says, her voice scratchy.

“I know I can’t, but I sure as hell can hope everything will be okay.” You say. Gilda looks up at you, her eyes red with tears. She leans up and kisses you on the cheek. You feel your cheeks becoming warm. You look down and smile at Gilda. She smiles back and lets you go.

“Can I crash here for the night?” She asks.

“Yeah, I have a spare bedroom upstairs, just watch your head on the way up, it’s a low ceiling.” You say.

“Thanks, I owe you one.” She says with a light chuckle.

“You owe me nothing.” You say.

Gilda simply smiles at you and walks into your living room. It was a small room; two chairs and a small couch. Nothing too fancy. Gilda makes her way to your couch and sits herself down on it. You follow and sit on a chair to the right of the couch.

“I can’t stay here. I’m going to have to leave tomorrow.” Gilda says.

“No, you can stay with me for as long as you need.” You offer.

“Thanks but no thanks. You see, the ponies in this town don’t want me here. Plus with Dash around, it’s bound to be awkward here.” She explains.

“I see. Well, I guess I can’t stop you but…” You’re interrupted by Gilda.

“Come with me.” She says.

“What?” You say a little shocked.

“Come with me back to Cloudsdale.” Gilda says.

“I can’t, I have a home here.” You say.

“Sell it.” Gilda insists.

“I don’t want to, I like it here.” You say.

“We can find a home in Cloudsdale, it’ll be a hell of a lot cheaper than it is here.” Gilda says.

“If you can find a cheaper home there take it, send me a letter and I’ll see what I can do. No promises though.” You reluctantly say.

“Thank you!” Gilda almost screams. She leaps of the couch and onto you, wrapping her arms around you again. You return the hug.

Gilda gets off you and yawns.

“I might hit the hay early today. Mind showing me where the room is?” Gilda asks.

“Sure, follow me.” You say. You walk up the stairs. You walk down the hall and point to a door on the left.

“This is my room and that is yours.” You say. You point to a door right across the hall on the right.

“Thanks.” Gilda says. She walks past you and opens the door on the right; she looks over and smiles at you. You smile back; she nods and walks into the room, closing the door behind her. You walk into your room and lie down on the bed. You stare up at the ceiling and feel your eyes starting to close. You drift off rather quickly, considering you had the nap today.


You’re awoken by a knocking on your bedroom door. You look over at the window, the sun was gone and the moon was shining bright. You roll off the bed and walk over to the door. You open it and see Gilda standing there.

“Problem?” You ask. Gilda looks around nervously before looking you dead in the eye.

“It’s cold in my room. I-I was wondering if I could, maybe… Sleep with you tonight?” She says, her voice laced with nervousness. You can feel a heat returning to your cheeks.

“Yeah, it’s okay with me. Come on in.” You say. You take a step to the side to let Gilda by. She nervously enters.

“Thank you.” She says, her voice shaky. You nod and close the door. She walks over and lies down on the right side of the bed. You walk over and lie down beside her, leaving a gap between you two. You want to make her feel uncomfortable. You close your eyes and try to fall asleep.

You’re woken up again, but this time you’re awoken by something touching you. You look over and see Gilda’s arm wrapped around you. You smile and lay your head back down. Your eyes were heavy; you couldn’t hold them open any more.

You close your eyes and fall asleep.