• Published 22nd Jun 2021
  • 1,274 Views, 35 Comments

A Good Witch - BrownieCat



Through the recent Changeling attack, the witches have managed to strike down the Sun Princess - haunted her with an ailment no doctor is able to heal. Twilight wants to help. Luna wants to help. They cannot. Aurelia can. She doesn't want to.

  • ...
1
 35
 1,274

Chapter 1


As soon as the door handle was enveloped by a golden aura, Twilight sprung up from her seat, pressing herself urgently to her mentor - or rather, her tight golden-trimmed white jersey dress - the second the alicorn revealed herself.

Celestia startled a little, barely out of the door, before smiling and nuzzling lovingly into the little unicorn’s mane. She nudged her student a bit until she was fully outside and nodded in thanks to the doctor once more before shutting the door and sitting down to better accommodate Twilight, arms squeezing her student’s shoulders gently and wings lowering themselves onto the filly.

They stayed like that for a comfortable while, neither wanting to break the rare moment.

Eventually, Twilight removed herself from the familiar chest and looked up, concerned, “A-Are you okay? Did he find out what was wrong? Are you going to get better? Do-”

The Princess chuckled and silenced her with a brief kiss on the forehead, “Oh Twilight, don’t look so worried, that’s my job.” Celestia ran her fingers through the unicorn’s thick mane and smiled as Twilight nestled back into her rightful place. Just like how it used to be. Gods, she could stay here all day. “The doctor doesn’t know what’s wrong-” Twilight immediately tensed, “-yet. But I’ll be just fine. I promise.”

Twilight was still worried, but was placated for now. “I still think Chrysalis did something to you.” She muttered, fluffy ears flattening.

It was the love coloring every word that made Celestia’s heart melt, “Twilight, they’re just headaches. It could’ve been anything from simple stress to banging my horn on something. I’ll get better in no time.”

Of course, her Twilight hadn’t known about the dizzy spells or her weakening magic, and Celestia was going to keep it that way. It was bad enough that she noticed the headaches to begin with!

“O-Okay.”

“Come now, where’s that happy little smile I so cherish, hm?” The Princess teased, watching her student’s cheeks colour slightly as a tiny grin peeked out. Like sunshine parting a storm of clouds. “There’s my little filly.”

As much as she wanted to stay here forever, they were on the tiled floor of a hospital corridor. She sighed.

“Time we head home, Twilight. Do you think you’ll be able to stay for a while longer? I do not wish to keep you, and I know you and your friends have already prolonged your stay for me, it’s just... we so rarely see each other anymore, and the Wedding...” The alicorn suddenly felt like the most horrible being in the world the second she saw Twilight flinch and that clear hurt dart into such bright amethyst eyes, but the student recovered before she could say anything.

Twilight stood, and Celestia noted absentmindedly that Twilight was now a whole head taller with her sitting down. She still remembered a time where the unicorn had to stand on tiptoes, just to reach the top of Celestia’s calves. ‘ She grows so fast...’ She mused wistfully.

“Well, of course I’m staying! If-If it’s stress then I’m going to have to make sure you don’t overwork yourself and actually rest!” The little mare said determinedly, making her mentor smile once more. “I think Rarity and Fluttershy might probably go back to Ponyville though. I shouldn’t keep them here.”

In a swift movement, Celestia was on her feet again, extending her hand almost instinctively to grasp that of her filly’s.

They headed down the corridor in comfortable silence, one alabaster wing gradually coming to rest over Twilight’s shoulders. It was when they almost reached the bend that Celestia suddenly started to feel a familiar throb in her head again, her vision blurring and her energy just leaking out like water.

“Not now...” She muttered through grit teeth.

Celestia’s eyes clenched and she hissed out a breath as she stumbled, one hand releasing Twilight’s only to clutch her forehead and the other gripping the hospital’s white walls, trying futilely to stabilise herself.

“Princess!” She heard her precious little filly cry, and Celestia felt something tugging at her arm, a warm staticy energy enveloping her, and finally, the feeling of a cold, plastic hospital chair underneath her. “H-Hold on, I’ll get help!”

“Wait... T...Twilight. Please...” Her mouth moved on instinct, murmuring out the words as she extended a shaky arm and her eyes cracked open weakly. She saw Twilight a few hooves away, panicked tears budding as amethyst eyes darted rapidly from her to the doctor’s office they’d just left and back to her again. “C-Come here.” She gasped out.

“But-But-” Celestia doubled down, quivering with pain and forced to retract her arm, pressing her hand hard to her chest - even the migraine was forgotten in favour of this new source of agony, it was almost as if she’d just been stabbed. “Princess!”

Tethering on the edge of consciousness, Celestia felt a warm figure squirm into her hold, wriggling somehow into a gap between her arms, her hunched back and her lap, and pressing their cheek against her collarbone, nuzzling her desperately as she finally allowed herself to be dragged into the bliss of the dark.

And as she was, a shred of relief suffused her, feeling her filly safe and near.


Aurelia paused in the middle of flipping a page, her pointer finger and thumb delicately feeling out the familiar rough feel of parchment as she looked up. Her hand dropped that page and lit up, wisps of dark magenta flickering as she reached deep, bringing out her Sight and looking to nothing but herself.

Times like this was when she appreciated being what she was.

The first layers were of her leylines, she saw lines of different hues of magenta interweaving and reaching her horn, her hands, her feet, and her wings, the familiar swirl of Incantatrix Magic most prominent as it actively pulsed to her fingertips.

She reached deeper, instinct honed by a two millenniums of practice leading her to her destination and bypassing everything she didn’t need at the moment.

She stopped.

The final layer was her heart and soul. But she had no interest for her emotions at the moment. No, she focussed on the swirling mass that was her soul. Her spirit. There were far too many coats to count, and while on the surface, her heart’s emotions bled over, she could still feel the swirling whirlpool of her likes, her fears, her memories, and so much more of what made her her, deeper inside. All revealed, all vulnerable.

How thankful she was that it was only she with that much control over her own.

Aurelia dug a bit deeper until she reached the core, her lifeblood, her spark, her wellspring, her character, her power - everything was here, separated in organised chaos and perfectly complementing the other. It was akin to the eye of the storm, she sometimes mused.

A bit was missing from each, and what used to be her darkness... well, there was nothing left there except for the memories of betrayal and a faint lingering sapphire aura, still here to this day.

But she wasn’t here for that.

She turned metaphorically to the missing bits of each section, narrowing her eyes at the faint strings from each, leading away from her, reaching far into the distance. To Canterhorn, perhaps.

Emotions were the most prominent on these strings as well, and Aurelia felt no need to delve further than that, there was nothing in there that wasn’t seen in her own soul. These emotions were bubbling wildly, unusual for who it led to. Fear, confusion, despair and desperation choked all the memories of sunny days along with the joy and love that so often suffused these strings.

The cord connected to the pony’s darkness even throbbed slightly, more movement than Aurelia had ever seen from it.

Aurelia’s heart went out to the part of her she’d abandoned, and wondered just what had caused the filly such anguish. Should she check, just in case? Surely it was what any good... parent would have done?

A mass of souls suddenly caught her eyes and she pulled out of her own, Soulsight turning to the approaching creatures. It had been very long since she’d last seen another living equine here, it was why she’d picked this place after all, and to her knowledge, only one pony alive still knew the exact location of her hom-

She reeled back, her Sight shattering and the light fading out of her irises as she stood up, gasping. A soft and fluffy body weaved in between her boots and Aurelia looked down, finding her dear familiar looking up, whiskers twitching and head rubbing against her ankles.

Aurelia sighed, quivering slightly, and the dark, plum colored feline gave a worried mew, eyes - one sapphire and the other amethyst, to match with her Mistress - lighting up as her pale aura lifted her off the wooden floor and up to Aurelia’s shoulders. The magicat curled around her neck and licked her cheek affectionately.

“Luna is here, Elvira. She's... coming here. She’s almost here. I don’t know why.”

Elvira hissed, ears flattening and eyes flashing with malice until Aurelia reached up, gripping her familiar gently and bringing her into her arms.

Aurelia’s own dark navy tail thrashed with Elvira’s, betraying her rage for only a second before she ran her fingers through her cat’s fluffy fur, taking a deep breath. “I know, Vira, believe me, I do. I don’t want her anywhere near me either-” Deep breaths. “But I want to see what she wants.”

Maybe even see if Lorelei was okay.

She felt the bunch of ponies step through her first ward, receiving the information as they did. One valkyrie, four chiropterans, one magus... One alicorn. Three mare, four stallion. Blood types, one A+, one AB-, two AB+, two B- and a Z.

Into the second ward they went. Details of their clothing, their armor... A peytral, but the tiara seemed to have been set aside. Weaknesses in their wear, body temperature, tension, position, it went on and on until they stepped through the fifth and last ward, the first to impact them as it easily blocked the intruder’s magics.

Likely, none of them had even realized how much information they had just given Aurelia.

The mare sighed and lit up her horn, temporarily dispelling the defensive shields the group were prepared to go through next. Another quick flash and her pale violet wings were gone with a breeze. No touch nor spell would bring them back until Aurelia did it herself.

She could still feel her wings, a mild discomfort but one she had used to be familiar with, with all of Lu- her visits.

Three sharp knocks sounded on her door.

Author's Note:

Welcome one and all to my first story!

(btw. Cover art yet to be found)


Here’s what I based Elvira off of. (Not my pic!)


The characters in this story have normal human skin, fingers, feet, a nose and a mouth (etc.) But they also have wings and horns, as well as pony ears (with fur ontop). They will still be called ponies, mares, stallions, but obviously some phrases like ‘singlehoofedly’ will be changed accordingly (singlehandedly).

A big big thank you to Meowofy [Go check their stories out] for agreeing to collaborate with me on this story! I had a roughish idea, but was lacking in terms of writing skills. I don’t think the plan for this story would have come out as half as great if it weren’t for you, so it really means a lot to me!

Signing off,
---Brownie