• Published 6th Sep 2012
  • 1,644 Views, 53 Comments

Return of the king - emberflare



When Equestria's former rulers returns, what will happen?

  • ...
3
 53
 1,644

Worst Night ever

Chapter 5: Worse night ever
Quick Thanks again to InsanityBerry and Poniard Dagger for editing. This would be a lot worse if you guys didn't help, thanks. -Shadow

Twilight had quickly departed the following day with no reason, all everypony knew is that she was going to Canterlot.
“Well, perhaps she’s going to surprise Shining Armour?” suggested Rarity as the group left the station.
“Hey girls, you know what we haven’t done in ages?” asks Pinkie.
“What Sugar cube?” asks AJ.
“Gone out, we should hit up that new club that opened up a few days ago” suggests Pinkie.
“That sounds like a great idea Pinkie” agrees Rainbow Dash “I’m gonna pop home and pick up Shades, he’s been studying flight plans trying to come up with a move that will out-shine my sonic rainboom”
“How’s he doing?” asks Rarity.
“He hasn’t done anything else for several days, if that’s any clue” says Rainbow, laughing softly to herself before flaring her wings “I’ll catch you ladies tonight at the club, meet us inside.”
One second she was standing there, the next she was gone.
“That’s a good thought, Ah should get Illidan. He could have a rest after today’s buckin’,” says Applejack before she slowly trots away, heading towards her farm.
“Berry would LOVE to come out with us! I’ll go grab him.” Suddenly the pink phantom vanished before the groups eyes.
“I guess I should go invite the lawyer, he might appreciate some time off” says Rarity before heading off to Ponyville’s hotel.
Fluttershy simply stood there, before slowly heading towards her cottage where Angel was, hopefully, helping Stormrage keep the place in check.

Several hours later, Ember Korsane entered sugar cube corner. He had been told by Twilight that she would only be a few days, and to practise on his own. ‘Great idea, that was’ he thought, remembering his attempted spell to teleport himself to the other side of the library. Instead he managed to teleport a tree. Spike was less than pleased, and had told him to ‘give him some room’. Naturally, Ember came to Sugarcube Corner to get some food.
He ordered a cupcake and sat down to eat it, just as something bright pink, almost as pink as the colt that had served him burst through the door and started telling him to follow her, before noticing Ember and, before Ember could comprehend it, the pink mare was right next to him.
“HEY!” she shouted, making Ember jump a little from shock “I’m Pinkie Pie and I wondering if YOU would like to join me and Berry at a club tonight with a few of Twilight’s friends” offers the pink mare.
“Ummm. Yeah” Ember nods slowly “I’ll hang out with you guys, beats sitting here” he finished his cupcake and then followed the two pink ponies out towards the club she had mentioned. Several minutes later Ember stood outside the ‘club’ which looked like some ponies house, only it had a sign saying ‘The Stable’, lights shining and music going on.
Ember walked inside with the pink ponies and looked around for any pony he might have recognised. He looked and saw two ponies he recognised instantly, because of who they were, it would be impossible to miss them. One of these ponies was unique because his tail didn’t match his mane, and the other because her mane and tail were a rainbow. The pair was sitting at a table with a small group, all of which were drinking.
Ember walked up towards them, only for the pink mare and her equally as pink companion to arrive and sit down with them. He saw the black Pegasus finish another drink before he started to fly, only for the rainbow Pegasus to stop him. Ember used his magic and listened into what they were saying.

“You’re lying to me!” accuses the cyan mare.
“What? I am not. I’ve been studying for a few days, and now my head is pounding. I just need some sleep!” the colt protests. Ember chuckled a little at the sight of the captains of the best flying teams arguing like a married couple.
“Fine, you go. I’m staying here” says Rainbow Dash.
“I never asked you to leave your friends. You’d be pretty bad at being loyal if you did that” Shadow Flare replies before turning around and trying to fly out, only to hit the wall.
Rainbow Dash could do nothing but start laughing really loudly, making the club stop and look at what had taken place. “Good one Shades, if that’s how the captain of the Shadowbolt flies, I don’t think you’ll even be better than a team of fillies” says Rainbow through her laughing.
Shadow got to his feet and trotted out the club, blushing redder than a tomato. Ember walked over to the group, and Pinkie Pie instantly started the introductions. Ember ordered a drink, knowing this would be a long night.

Outside ‘The Stable’ Shadow Flare slowly and uneasily flew back to Rainbow’s house. He was flying slowly because, despite being 20, he wasn’t very good at consuming alcohol. He crashed on her front porch, and reached for the key in his bag, only to see the door wide open. Shadow slowly got up, fearing the worst. ‘If somepony has decided to rob from here, I best be on my guard’ he says, the adrenalin starting to sober him up.

Shadow enters the house, and sees movement in the living room. On the floor, he saw hoof-marks for only a single pony. He decided that making the first move and hopefully surprising them would give him the first hit, and in his drunken condition, he would need it.
Shadow jumps into the room and, facing the intruder, shouts “NONE OF YOU ARE SAFE!” only to see a familiar lavender unicorn standing in the living room, fear deep in her eyes. She instantly picks up Shadow with her magic, and suspends him in the air.
“HOW DARE YOU! I WILL” starts the unicorn until she sees who it is she’s holding in her magic “Oh, Shadow, you startled me” she says, not realising him.
“I am so sorry Twilight, I thought you were a thief. I saw the door open and assumed the worst” Shadow stated as he relaxed.
“It’s OK Shadow. Not even you are perfect” she beings him slightly closer with her magic.
“Hey, could you..umm. you know, release me? I’m kinda stuck here” he asks, stuck in her spell.
Twilight shook her head, like she was day dreaming, “Yeah, sure” she lowered the Pegasus down to the floor, before realising. “Hey, could you help me actually? I was planning to get Rainbow, but you’re already here” she asks.
“Yeah, I’ll help, what’s the spell?” the Pegasus trots towards her.
“Well, it’s rather complicated. I’ll make more sense once you’ve experienced it. Can I rely on your..loyalty?” she asks, making an obvious pause that confused Shadow.
“I’ll give it a shot. I’m not Rainbow, but I’m loyal to my friends. What do you need me to do?” he gets closer, looking at Twilight.
“Just, don’t resist” she says, picking the Pegasus up, and tightening the magic around him, making it harder from him to move.
“Are you OK Twilight, It might just be me, but you don’t seem…yourself” comments Shadow as the magic envelops him “And what happened with Canterlot today? I heard you planned to come back in a few days”
Twilight starts to shake her head “ohh Shadow. You know, for some pony of your position and power. You are really STUPID” her voice changed at her last word, it was deeper. It made Shadow feel a cold shiver go over his entire body.
“Twi…Twilight, what’s wrong?” he asks, obviously panicking.
“Twilight…Twilight” she repeats her name “NO! That is not my name” she starts laughing, it sounded like deep..Cold.
Shadow tries to move, to free himself, but her levitation spell denies him the ability to move “TWILIGHT! What is wrong with you! LET ME GO!” demands the Pegasus.
The unicorn places her horn on his crest “Don’t worry Shadow, this will be harmless. It’s a simple spell really, it called a ‘Thought manipulation control’ spell. Really simple, after it runs its course, you will have free will, but you WILL obey my every command. If you don’t, it attacks your mind and body, torturing you physically and mentally. Eventually, however, you will obey me willingly.” She smiles crazily as a small grey circle appears on his chest.
“Please!” begs the Pegasus, tears starting to form in his eyes “Twilight! Why? Why would you betray your friends like this? Who’s controlling you?” he asks.
“No pony is controlling me, I simply pledged myself to them. Tomorrow, we will invade Ponyville, and you WILL help me!” he horn glows again, and the grey circle starts to spread, slowly, moving like oil.

“HELP! ANYPONY, HELP ME!” he cries out, as loud as he can before Twilight forced his mouth shut.
“Now now, that’s not very nice. Betraying your master like that” she tuts at him and the circle starts to cover his legs.
Suddenly, Twilight’s ears pop up hearing something. Shadow hoped it was some pony who had heard him. Twilight turns around and sees, of all ponies, Rainbow Dash staring at Twilight, who was obviously holding Shadow against his will.
“Twilight, you have about 10 seconds to explain yourself” she says threateningly, glaring at her.
“Ohhh, Rainbow Dash. Just the pony I wanted to meet. You see, I was planning to meet you first, but SOMEPONY,” she glared over at Shadow, the circle had covered his legs. His legs were now a drab grey, and the colour started to move up. “Arrived early, so I decided it would be good to test my spell, instead of putting YOU danger, it’ll be safe for your turn” she says, the crazy smile forming on her face.
“Shadow, is this true?” she asks, only to see him slowly nodding. He was obviously running out of energy to fight. The grey had now started going up his neck, and down his forearms.
“Twilight, as much as I honour our friendship, I am going to kick your flank” growls Rainbow before flaring her wings and charging straight at Twilight, screaming “RELEASE HIM!”
Shadow could only stare, completely powerful to stop Twilight grabbing Rainbow with her magic and tossing her back into the wall. While they were made of clouds, since they were a wall, they would hurt, a lot.
“Rainbow, do you think I wouldn’t expect that?” asks the unicorn “Do you think your predictable attack would work?” she taunts. Shadow feels the spell corrupting his body as it starts to slide up his neck. He tries to resist, but its power is too great. He feels it wash over his face, and his consequences starts to fade. He looks over at Twilight picking up Rainbow, the noises blocked out. ‘NO!!!!’ he screams, knowing her fate was to be the same as his.
“Well Rainbow Dash. It seems like time” gloats Twilight, picking the injured Pegasus up with her magic.
“Yeah, time for me to kick you FLANK!” yells Rainbow.
“No. Look!” she pointed towards Shadow, as Twilight released him. Rainbow could barely recognise Shadow. His coat, mane and...everything on him had turned grey.
“Very soon” Twilight places her horn on Rainbows chest “THAT. Will be you”
“Twilight..WHY?” asks the pleading mare as the greyness started consuming her.
“MY NAME, YOU FOAL, IS NOT TWILIGHT! IT IS DUSK!” she yells, laughing as the spell corrupted her friend