• Published 31st Jul 2021
  • 3,221 Views, 141 Comments

The Pony Guard (Season 3) - MXCDarkHorse2020



The Lion and Pony Guard all seek to keep the peace between the two worlds together while they all now deal with the threat of Scar who's return is now threatening that very balance.

  • ...
2
 141
 3,221

Episode 9: Wonderbolt Academy

Episode 9:

Wonderbolt Academy

In Ponyville there is one place where Pegasi call home on the clouds and that’s Cloudsdale. A place where Pegasus ponies live together with rainbow-colored waterfalls and streams shining across the area just above where the Lion and Pony Guard are all having a picnic together.

Kion and Bunga are both playing baobob ball together while Applejack’s munching on apples. Fluttershy and Beshte are both sightseeing the bright blue sky in front of them while Pinkie is happily bouncing around their gathering. Rarity and Fuli are both sipping water from their cups while wearing stylish sunglasses together while Twilight and Ono sit in the shade provided by their umbrella with the former reading her books and the latter perched on her head reading over her shoulder.

Rainbow also under the umbrella is inspecting her hooves just when Pinkie starts speaking rather anxiously like she is expecting something or somepony to be here.

“Ooooh, I wish the mailpony would just come already! I can't wait another minute to find out if Rainbow Dash got in or not!” She frantically bounced on her back hooves before burying her front hooves into her face.

“Pinkie Pie, you're more nervous than Rainbow Dash.” Twilight commented on the for once cool-headed rainbow-maned pony.

“I'm not nervous at all.” She confidently said. “When I get into the Wonderbolt Academy...”

“IF you get in!” Pinkie suddenly interrupted while getting in her face with her hooves on her chest slightly annoying the unicorn behind her. “If you get in! Don't jinx it!”

“I'm telling you, it's in the bag.” Rainbow reassured her pink pony friend while gently pushing her hooves away.

“Don't jinx it!” She repeated still anxious off her mind.

“She is the best flyer in Ponyville.” Applejack backed her best friend up while munching on another apple.

“No question about that.” Beshte agreed when Rainbow flies right by them while nearly blowing off the cowgirl’s hat.

“In Ponyville?” She begged to differ before flying around a nearby cloud to create a slide out of it. “I'm probably the best flyer in all of Equestria.” She added before sliding down head first backwards so that she is floating by the group lounging. “I wouldn't be surprised if they just went ahead and made me a Wonderbolt on the first day.”

Just then the pony she was expecting appeared right behind her. “Got a letter here for Rainbow Dash.”

Rainbow wasted no time to snatch up her letter and open it hear of what they have decided. Her eager smile faded when she reads the letter more and more.

“I... didn't get in.”

Pinkie and Bunga gasped upon hearing this.

“What!” The latter voiced just as disheartened as the Pegasus while the others (sans Kyoga and Twilight) all had apologetic looks to hear that until…

…She revealed her letter had a green check mark on it, indicating she was accepted into the Wonderbolts Acadmeny.

“Gotcha! Ha, you guys are so gullible. Like I wasn't gonna get in!”

“We never doubted you there.” Kyoga sincerely spoke with a smirk at her trolling along with Twilight.

“Like you had us fooled.” Twilight added when Pinkie immediately expresses her sudden excitement by tackling her for a hug.

“I'm just sooooooooooo happy for you!”

“Uh... thanks?” Rainbow kindly returned albeit uncomfortably due to the pink pony hugging her tightly. “Pinkie Pie? I kinda need to get going.” She reminded her.

Pinkie obliged but not without one more tight squeeze until setting her free. “Okay. I'm done!” She then hopped away from her cheerfully.

“The sooner I get there, the sooner I get to show 'em my stuff!” Rainbow confidently expressed while performing a loop-de-loop maneuver. “Which reminds me Ono…” He turned to the suddenly surprised egret. “It is time for us to get going.”

“What do you mean?” Ono inquired until she presented her the letter which had writing that he has been accepted into the academy too. “Oh.” He nodded like he just remembered Rainbow informing him of the plan to join her should be accepted into the academy but then when the realization hit him. "WHAT?! But why and when did i agree to this?!"

"I did when I sent in my recruitment letter." Rainbow answered while recalling putting it together at home. "I added it on while letting them know that you know how to fly quick and spot trouble at first sight as the Guard's Keenest of Sight."

"And just when were you planning on telling this?" Ono questioned still not happy hearing this. "And if I'd be okay with that?"

"Well, I wanted it to be a surprise and thought it's training at boot camp would be very helpful to you." Rainbow calmly explained. "Just a little something that could help you improve your wing power which could come in handy in case Scar shows his face around here again.”

“That’s true.” Kion spoke in agreement. “Scar’s bound to show up again to try to take over again and we need to be prepared for when he does.”

“And if it means having a sharper eye out for danger, then so be it.” Twilight added greatly supporting the idea.

While still not liking the sudden bomb shell dropped on him, they did have a point in regards to how dangerous Scar, and now that they know he has returned, they need to be ready for whatever he has planned. “That’s true. All right, I'll do it." Ono nodded before turning to Rainbow who flew by Applejack and Rarity who both held up her saddlebag for her fly by and obtain.

Ono then flew over to Twilight who did the same for him.

“See you guys in a week!” Rainbow called after them before flying off ahead with Ono following right behind her.

“Good luck!”

“Remember what I taught you!”

Both Applejack and Fuli shouted after them.

“Be safe!” Kion also called after them.

“Will do!”

“Won't need it!”

Both flyers returned before taking off.

Pinkie feeling they are forgetting something pulled out her unusually large megaphone to shout after them. “DON'T FORGET TO WRITE!!!” The force of the shout was strong enough to tilt all of the mountains and trees ahead of her along with frizzling her friend’s fur and mane’s. “Do you think she heard me?”

“Loud and clear.” Kyoga irritably answered before snatching the megaphone away from her and melting it away into liquid metal with her magic.

“Aww….” Pinkie groaned at the sight of her destroyed megaphone even though the use of it was unnecessary.


Meanwhile, both Rainbow and Ono both made their way to Cloudsdale and straight towards the Wonderbolts training site is and it is where the two new recruits are expected to meet their supervisor.

When they get there, the two are both amazed at their surroundings. One group of Wonderbolts are being sent off for flying drills while another group of Wonderbolts were performing aerial movements in the sky. The remaining Wonderbolts were performing training exercises, including push-ups, pull-ups, and wing flying.

It was everything that Rainbow dreamed of seeing the day she was accepted. “Oh, yeah! This is gonna be sweet!”

“At least for you.” Ono nervously replied still not keen on to their kind of training. “I just wish I don’t break my wings off from all of this training.”

“You’ll be fine, Ono, as long as you keep your head up, move fast, and keep pace with us.” Rainbow assured her before they flew over to where the new recruits are expected to check in. “I’ll be by your side the whole way and as long as you do that and keep a sharp eye out on your surroundings, you have nothing to worry about.”

“Okay I guess.” Ono still felt unsure in his abilities to do so until Rainbow lightly nudged him on one of his wings to encourage him to adopt a more upbeat attitude. “I mean, affirmative!” She saluted with the proper solider attitude.

“There you go! Now you’re starting to get it!” Rainbow liked what she was seeing before lining up single file along with the others when their commanding officer, Spitfire started addressing them accompanied by her assistant.

She has a yellow coat of fur, with a slick back fiery shaped orange mane and tail, and had purple-tinted sunglasses along with a naval blue military suit and jacket on.

“Well, lookie what we got here. Bet y'all think you're Wonderbolt material, don't ya?” She began marching and pacing in front of the group.

“Yes, ma'am!” They all responded in a firm and assertive tone expected for military soldiers.

“Think you got what it takes to be an elite flyer?”

“Yes, ma'am!”

So far, Spitfire was pleased with their confident responses and determination.

“Well then. Let me be the first to tell you...” She then began before addressing certain recruits starting with a sky-blue maned Pegasus. “You don't!” She sharply addressed her while passing by the recruits one by one. “If you had what it took to be an elite flyer, you'd already be a Wonderbolt!” She then turned to a purple mare with a sky blue and white mane. “Still think you're something special?”

“No, ma'am!” She returned trying her hardest not to crack even when her legs are shaking and trembling.

Spitfire then turned to Bulk Biceps who despite his muscular appearance, had tiny wings on his body that could hinder him from his full potential. The pony needless to say looked aside with frightened embarrassment.

“Ya think you're hot stuff?” She pressed of the pony who ended up sweating and sinking his head down before turning to Rainbow Dash who still kept her cool in the face of her commanding officer. “You look like you're the worst flyer in the whole academy! You'll probably quit after the first day!”

“No, ma'am! I'd never quit, ma'am!” She confidently vowed to which had her briefly smiling upon liking this attitude before turning to Ono.

“And what about you?” He asked the egret who dropped a bead of sweat from his forehead. “Think you have what takes to keep up with the fastest of the fastest?” She challenged.

“I will definitely try my hardest to, ma’am!” He confidently saluted while trying not to let any of his nerves show in his words to which Spitfire nodded in approval of him for managing to keep his composure.

And last in line is a pony with an aqua blue fur coated pony with a golden orange mane, tail, and matching eyes, with a three-star and lightning bolt cutie mark on her flank.

“What about you?” She challenged her. “Bet you couldn't fly past the first flagpole without getting winded.”

“Try me, ma'am.” She confidently barked back.

“What's that?” She responded while tilting her shades down while both Rainbow and Ono eye her for bold response.

“Let me show you what I've got, ma'am.” The bold mare repeated with clarification.

“Ah. You want a chance to prove yourself, huh?” She replied getting what she is eager to get started.

“Yes, ma'am!” She nodded to which was another recruit to her liking.

“Well then, now's your chance.” She began before giving them their first drill. “Give me five hundred laps! All of you!” Most of the Pegasus ponies groaned in response. “Now!” She commanded with a blow of her whistle.

Everyone all set out to do so with both her and Rainbow Dash taking the lead. Both ponies were so fast and well in sync together they managed to lap the entire field together with Ono the only one on their tail just barely one to two laps back.

“Lap four-hundred and ninety-nine!” Spitfire called out to the leaders when they fly by them along with one of the ponies in the dust.

“One more lap to go!” Rainbow told the mare next to her with a wink.

“You're on!” She returned with the same attitude and expression.

“Oh, great!” Ono wheezed from a few tail lengths behind them trying to keep up with them.

Sure she has kept up with her and Fuli while on patrol, but that was covering short distance flights, and never had to go long at all in his time of flying. He was really starting to lose his speed in these closing laps and ended up being left behind when both flyers ahead of him for one final sprint to the finish. But none of the less he tried his hard to follow after them.

“Five hundred!” Spitfire counted for the two leading Pegasus ponies finishing their first exercise together along with Ono who barely had enough energy to keep himself from having a crash landing

“Not bad... for a few newbies.” Spitfire complimented them while walking by.

“Name's Lightning Dust.” The mare than finished alongside the two members of the Guard introduced herself while sharing high-fives with their wings.

“Rainbow Dash!” Rainbow returned the favor.

“Ono.” The weary egret greeted her while panting heavily.

Lightning greeted him the same while being quick to scoop him with her wing. “That was very impressive there.” She complimented him for keeping pace. “Considering you’re an egret.”

“I know.” Ono replied with his eyes repeatedly blinking and trying to regain his focus. “Having brains sure helps me know how to stay on your tail.”

“No kidding.” She replied with a nod of respect for him. “Wanna grab some grub in the mess hall?” She then offered.

“Definitely.” Rainbow accepted the invitation for lunch together.

“Affirmative.” Ono moaned. “Along with some water.”

“Anything for anyone who can keep the pace.” Lightning returned while lifting up one of his wings to help him get some shade to cool off.

The two ponies and egret starting a bond with each other are getting off to a great start so far being secretly monitored by the hidden eyes in the sky from none other than the lion with the matching sinister green eyes.


Back in Ponyville, Pinkie is currently opening and closing her mailbox door expecting a letter from both her friends away on their training even when it’s only been at least a few hours since they left.

“Anything yet?” Bunga asked from behind.

“Nope.” She replied while still opening and closing her mailbox.

“Anything yet?” He asked again.

“Nope.” She repeated.

“Anything yet?”

“Nope.”

Both Applejack and Fuli both shook their heads in annoyance with their antics before deciding to approach them to get them to stop it.

“Pinkie, Bunga, I think it’s time that the both of you stop constantly looking in the mailbox every three seconds.” Fuli began.

“Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash hasn't even been gone twenty-four hours yet. Give her a chance to settle in first.” Applejack pointed out. “Why don't we just go see what Twilight and Kyoga are up to? I hear Princess Celestia's got Twilight workin' on some new spells!”

“New spells, huh? Sure?”

“Okay.”

They both initially accepted until they both came to the same worrying thought together.

“Wait! If neither of us are not here when Rainbow Dash's letter arrives, neither of us won't be able to read it right away…” Pinkie began rambling.

“…And if we don't read it right away, I won't be able to write her back right away…” Bunga added.

“…And if I don't write her back right away, she might think I didn't get her letter, and then she might worry it got lost.” Pinkie added while trading sentences with each other.

“…And if she's worrying about her letter, she'll be distracted.” Bunga traded back with both Applejack and Fuli both moving their eyes towards the one speaking before moving to the other taking a turn speaking.

“And if she's distracted, then she won't do well at the academy! “

“And if she doesn't do well at the academy, then she'll get kicked out!”

“And if she gets kicked out, they'll never let her be a Wonderbolt! And if she doesn't get to be a Wonderbolt, all her dreams will be crushed! And it will be all... my... fault!” Pinkie then finished rambling while falling on her back while Bunga placed his claws on his face while dropping his jaw in a comically horrified manner.

“Good gracious.” Fuli muttered while looking down at the two big worry bunnies.

“So in other words, you're stickin' by the mailbox.” Applejack figured that nothing is going to get them to budge from their spot.

“Yep!”

“Absolutely!”

The two happily replied before the others turn away deciding to leave seeing that they aren’t changing their mind on something pointless.

“If that’s what you want.”

“Suit yourself.”

They said before leaving the two to continue constantly getting their hopes up for nothing.


Elsewhere, all of the new flyers are all suited in their new cadet uniforms and goggles suited for flying when their instructor leads them to their next exercise with something covered in a cloth of tarp.

“The Wonderbolts are the fastest, best precision flyers in the world.” She explained to them. “But spin-outs can still happen. And when they do, a Wonderbolt must be able to recover quickly.” One of her assistants pulls the tarp covering the giant wheel colored green with purple swirls. “This... is the Dizzitron.”

“Looks more like something to hypnotize someone.” Ono whisper commented to Rainbow who nodded in agreement with a more confident expression along with Lightning than the others nervous at the sight before listening in on their instructions of their next exercise.

“It's gonna make you very – I repeat – very dizzy. Your task is to try and recover and fly straight again, as soon as possible. Once you have recovered you must come in for a smooth landing.” She finished explained before turning for the first participant. “Now, who's first?” Both Rainbow and Lightning raised their hooves ready to volunteer while Ono just watched on but the two eager volunteers were both ignored in favor of a pink Pegasus with a blonde mane and tail much to their surprise. “You. You're up.”

“Me?” The chosen mare nervously gulped while getting dizzy eyes upon seeing the wheel in front of her.

“Now!” She shouted in her ear to get moving to which she quickly follows through with her order. “Ready?” She asked the mare getting saddled in the gear that serves as her chair seat while putting on her goggles.

“Yes, ma'am!”

“Go!”

The Dizzitron is activated with a pull of the lever from one of the Wonderbolt guards. The mare herself is then spinning around with the speeds of the machine increasing more and more to the point her eyes are watering. And the more and more Ono watched the Dizzitron in action his eyes starting spinning almost as if he was in a hypnotic trace.

“Release!”

The mare is then released and sent spinning around in the air before she was able to recover and regain her ground enough to the point she could safely land back on the ground but still lying on the ground and dizzy from the experience when she slides in front of Spitfire timing her performance.

“Huh. Fifteen seconds.“ Spitfire reported with a slightly surprised tone that she managed that. “Decent, but I wouldn't go writin' home about it!” She told the mare before turning back to the other’s while one of the other trainers pulls the paralyzed mare away back into the lineup. “Who's next?” She spots an eager Rainbow Dash with a raised wing. “Alright, Rainbow Dash. Let's see what you got.”

“Yes, ma'am!” She returned with a salute before immediately flying on over to take her turn on the Dizzitron.

“Okay, go!” As soon as she starts her start watch the machine is up and spinning once more. “Release!” Once she is released and sent spinning in the air, she moves to quickly recover and make a mad sprint back towards to the ground where Spitfire is waiting for her. “Six seconds?” She reported with surprised eyes while checking the watch again to make sure she is seeing the time she got correctly. “That's an academy record.”

“You made it look so easy.” The pink mare having now fully recovered said to the proudly floating mare now standing beside her while getting back in line.

“I make everything look easy.” She responded while slightly bragging and thinking nothing of it.

“Amazingingly, she can back that up.” Ono couldn’t have said it better while impressed for his friend and trying to shake his head to make sure his eyes are still properly aligned.

“Okay, Lightning Dust. You're up.” Spitfire called for her who was quick to get on the machine.

“Ma'am, can you put the Dizzitron at maximum speed?” She requested. “I wanna push my limits.”

Spitfire shared a look with her assistant next to her rather surprised that she want’s that kind of speed. “You sure about that?”

“Yes ma'am.” Lightning replied while putting on her goggles.

“Okay.” She replied back seeing that she really wants it. “You asked for it.” The machine gets up and running once more with the setting set from the speed of a turtle to skull with bolts and wings, the highest level of speed it has to offer with the assistant working the machine casting a brief worried look when the machine goes full throttle. It was so fast that Lightning was having tears escape her eyes.

“Release!” Spitfire commanded when she is set flying and spinning up in the air. But like Rainbow Dash she was able to quickly recover and sprint back over to the finish. “Six point five seconds. Not bad.” She complimented her when she made her way back to the lineup.

“Heh!”

“Oh yeah!”

Both mares shared high-hoofs upon regrouping.

“Ono! Next!” Spitfire called for him who suddenly froze upon being summoned.

“Oh no.” He quietly said to himself before obliging to his superior’s orders and strapping himself in the Dizzitron.

Once Ono had his goggles placed on his eyes for protection, he was then spun around by the machine once the pony working the controls restarted it back up. He was understandably nervous when he felt tears coming out of his eyes and was starting to get dizzy before being shot up into the air.

“Hapana!” He screamed while spinning upwards before spreading her wings and quickly regaining control like she is pumping car brakes before heading on back over to the finish line.

“Nine point nine seconds.” Spitfire reported to the panting egret. “Not bad for someone your size.”

“Affirmative.” Ono weakly saluted before making his way back on over to the lineup where he, Rainbow, and Lightning watch the rest of the field take their turns on the Dizzitron.

Unlike Rainbow or Lightning no other pony was able to match their speed nor be able to walk out without feeling dizzy, fatigued, or suffer a crash landing with Ono still shaken from the experience.

“No pony even came close to six seconds.” Rainbow commented to the mare next to her.

“They should make us Wonderbolts right now.” Lightning said back to her.

“Yeah, they should.” Rainbow agreed.

“Wouldn’t surprise me.” Ono commented before Spitfire addressed everyone once more who all quickly line up for further instructions.

“Listen up! For the rest of the camp, you'll be working in pairs. 'Morrow morning, I'll post the teams, including who'll be lead pony and who'll be wingpony. Good luck.” She informed everyone before leaving them be for the rest of the day.

“Like we're going to need it.”

“Heh, yeah.”

Lightning and Rainbow both traded to each other with another fist-bump.

“I sure will.” Ono groaned still feeling like he is going to throw up from what he endured on the Dizzitron.


The next morning, Spitfire posted the list of who’s assigned to partner up with whom as promised with many ponies getting a good look at the posted paper on the wall.

While Ono looks uncertain and left wondering who’s he’s going to be partnered with while hoping with her flying friend walking alongside him. Rainbow on the other hoof walks in, confident that she’ll be the lead pony after yesterday’s perfomance on the Dizzitron.

“So, which one of you lucky gals gets to be my wingpony?” Rainbow asked Cloud Chaser and Mage Meadow when she approached them who both return an amused giggle. “What?”

“Eh, you might want to check the wall.” Cloudchaser suggested.

Confused of why the two think this is funny, Rainbow made her way over to the post to see what she is and who she is assigned to. “A wingpony?” She said in dismay before walking off with Lightning appearing right behind her.

“They made us a team!” She told her while joining her side. “Along with Ono who is the first mid-wing pony, isn't that awesome?”

“Huh?” Ono inquired before quickly scanning the list for his name. “Oh, I see.” He said in understanding before regrouping with both her and Rainbow “I know right.” He acted like he agreed when both he and Rainbow return a friendly smile back at their partner before she moved forward to get ready for training.

“But how?” Rainbow could not help but ponder why to herself. “I mean sure it makes sense that Ono would be in-between the two if paired with them but why she is the wing pony to Lightning instead of the other way around.”


And that’s what Rainbow and Ono both set forward towards Spitfire’s office to find out.

They made their way to her office just when she was stamping horseshoe prints on photographs.

“Permission to enter, ma'am.” Rainbow asked

“What is it, Rainbow Dash? Ono?” She asked them while still focused on her stamping.

“I had the best time on the Dizzitron! Only six seconds!” Rainbow began her protested argument.

“And?” She asked wondering what the big deal is.

“And you made me a wingpony!”

Spitfire stopped stamping upon her response. “Because I believe you, Ono, and Lightning Dust will be an unstoppable team.” She answered while taking off her sunglasses to address her seriously. “Do you not think you'll be an unstoppable team?”

“Yes, ma'am! I mean no, ma'am! I mean...” She stammered to find the appropriate response to her question to assure she is not outright questioning her decisions. “We'll be an unstoppable team, ma'am.”

“Then what's the problem?”

“I think I should be lead pony, ma'am.”

“And I think Lightning Dust likes to push herself a little harder than you do.” She firmly explained her reasons. “That's why I made her lead pony. And as for Ono I made her the mid-swing pony on your team because he can sharpen his reaction time and speed by following Lightning’s lead and watch over your shoulder the entire time. Got it?”

“Yes, ma'am.” Rainbow accepted in defeat seeing there is no point risking her dream over this.

“Any further questions, Ono?” She turned to the silent egret.

“No, ma’am. It makes perfect sense and I will do my best to watch after them.” Ono immediately saluted and accepted her reasons not wanting any trouble.

“Good.” She replied before donning her sunglasses and getting back to work on her stamping.

Ono quickly left with Rainbow reluctantly following after him albeit slowly still distraught over being made a wing pony.

“Rainbow…” Ono began trying to say something in an effort to make her feel better. “…I’m sure she only did it because she just wants you to push yourself even harder.”

“Maybe.” Rainbow replied still downcast not batting an eye in his direction. “But it sure feels like a step backwards even though I did better.”

“But Rainbow…” Ono again tried to bring up a counter-argument.

“We better get ready.” Rainbow wouldn’t hear any more of it before moving forward while Ono could only watch on in pity for the dejected mare feeling she is second-best.


The two then don their badges, Rainbow’s is silver, Ono’s is bronze, with Lightning’s gold, before they all make their way over to the Rainbow Falls where Spitfire has the first team exercise planned for them.

“Today you will all be participating in a flag hunt. We'll divide you into two teams, red... and blue.” She explained with one assistant presenting the red flag in between Meadow and the muscular pony and the blue flag in between Rainbow and the mare standing on her left. “Whoever finds the most flags of the opposing team's color wins.”

The eight ponies standing before their superior cheer thinking this won’t be a problem while Ono intently waits to hear if there is some kind of catch to all of this.

“Oh, this is gonna be so much fun!” The pink mare whispered to her lead pony which was overheard by Spitfire who immediately flew right in her face.

“If you think this is gonna to be fun, you are sadly mistaken.” She told her in her face before addressing everyone the importance of this exercise. “This is for training purposes. This is not recess. Lead ponies and wingponies must fly together. If any pair splits apart, they will be immediately disqualified.” Both Cloudchaser and the big white muscular pony squeezed together upon hearing that. “Do you understand?”

“Yes, ma'am!” Everyone all saluted in response.

“Then let's go!”

With a blow from her whistle she sends the teams off in pairs flying around in search for the opposing teams flags.

“Ready to rock and roll?” Lightning asked both of her teammates.

“Ready.”

“Affirmative.”

They both replied before following her lead while Ono tries to catch some flags with his keen sight. But that proved harder to do so with the pace Lightning is setting to which Rainbow felt the need to pick up since her lead pony is just flying by the area.

“You spotted any flags yet?” Lightning asked of them.

“Not yet.” Ono reported before catching a red flag down below a crack in the ground down below. “Oh! There's one!”

“Good eyes!” She complimented before leading the way down there.

“Um, Lightning…” Ono spoke up struggling to keep pace with her and Rainbow.

“We should slow down. It doesn't look like both of us can make it at this speed!” Rainbow suggested.

“Peh.” Lightning dismissed their concerns before flying forward to snatch the red flag in the small chasm while Ono had stop himself from flying inside of it just keep up with her and with Rainbow accidentally clipping her wing on one of the logs.

“Lightning Dust, Ono, and Rainbow Dash found the first flag!” Spitfire announced to them when they make it make to where they are standing.

“Are you okay?” Ono asked Rainbow who briefly sat down to inspect the damage on her right wing.

“Yeah. Just a little scratched is all.” Rainbow returned while placing a hoof on her wing.

“Come on! Let's find some more!” Lightning quickly dashed ahead to continue.

“Uh, sure. Just give me a second.” Rainbow replied wishing for a moment to recover.

“Oh, you're fine.” She again dismissed her concerns before flying off ahead leaving the two no choice but to follow after her.

“Yeah... totally.” Rainbow returned before struggling to push herself back in flight with Ono flying alongside her to make sure she is okay.

“Okay…” Ono commented noting of the mare’s lack of concern for her partner before pressing forward together.


Back in Ponyville, Pinkie is still at it to the point she ended up falling asleep for a minute before reawakening. She quickly looked inside once more with increased disappointment to the point she was looking like she was going to cry. Bunga with the shared disappointment could only munch on the bugs he was snacking on watching this. Not even her favorite cupcake provided by her best friend can get her spirits lifted back up.

“They’re still at it.” Rarity commented at the pitiful sight of their friends with frazzled hair and bagged eyes.

“Yep.” Kion nodded feeling sorry for the two of them especially Pinkie feeling down in the dumps. “At least Bunga is doing something productive on patrol along with taking care of himself.” He noted of his appearance in contrast to Pinkie’s mane slightly messy with bags under her eyes.

“I just wish we could help them.” Fluttershy expressed.

“Me too.” Beshte voiced the same.

“Help us?” Bunga questioned while he and Pinkie suddenly appear right behind the gang. “How?!”

“The only thing that could possibly help us right now is a letter from Rainbow Dash and Ono! It's been three days already.” Pinkie expressed at a loss of what to do while placing a hoof on Applejack’s back.

She even tried to squeeze Twilight’s face together but couldn’t because of the unicorn casting magic on her like she is issuing an restraining order on her. “By now, she probably doesn't even know our names anymore! She probably can't remember our faces! "Pinkie Pie? I never heard of a Pinkie Pie! Who is Pinkie Pie?"

“Or Bunga! Who is Bunga?” The honey badger added not sure of what do either while joining Pinkie in opening and closing the mailbox in desperation for something from the mailpony.

“Well, if you're so worried, then why don't you send her a letter first?” Twilight gently proposed while using her magic to close her mailbox.

“Of course! That's a great idea!”

“Why didn’t we think of that earlier?”

Both happily liked the suggestion much to Fluttershy, Rarity, Fuli, and Kion’s relief accompanied with a sigh.

“Oh wait! I got an even better idea!” Pinkie then thought of something else. “How about we send Rainbow Dash and Ono a care package? You know, before she forgets all about us?” She then said while suddenly appearing inside the mailbox and came out of it like it was no big deal to her.

“How did she?” Kyoga whispered to Fuli gesturing to the pink pony defying the very laws of physics.

“I don’t know.” Fuli whisper replied with a shrug deciding like everyone it's best not to question it.

“Pinkie logic is never logical even on a bad day.” Twilight remarked dully. “And to be honest, it’s best not to think about it.” She added whilel recalling all of the pain and suffering she and Ono had to endure that day they tried to make sense of it.

“Although, come on, let's face it. It's probably too late for that. But, uh, maybe it'll jog her memory somehow.” Bunga then said once again deflated while Twilight walks behind the two looking for another way to encourage them to pursue this.

“Pinkie Pie, Bunga, I'm sure Rainbow Dash and Ono still remembers our faces and who we are.” Twilight assured them in support of their proposal with a hoof on the party pony’s shoulder. “But I think sending them a care package is a great idea.”

“A care package it is!” Pinkie immediately liked the idea before hopping on over to the bakery entrance.

“We'll send it through the mail!” Bunga added while joining her before being she quickly turned around nearly knocking him off of his feet. ”Whoa! Huh?”

“WAIT! Ah! That won't work at all!” Pinkie suddenly voiced with a sudden thought occurring.

“Why not?” Applejack asked confused.

“How could it not?” Kyoga also asked in a similar manner.

“Because what if the package gets lost in the mail?” Pinkie brought up while going on another ramble. “What if somepony else gets the package by accident and then she remembers us instead of Rainbow Dash and then she becomes our new friend?

“And then the real Rainbow Dash and Ono won't ever know that she used to have friends and she forgot them!“ Bunga also joined in getting what she is saying. “Oh, that would be so, so, bad!”

“Is anypony else and everyone followin' this?” Applejack turned to the others trying to understand what she is saying when the two fall on their backs which is met with “Mmm-mms.” from Fluttershy and Rarity and “Nopes.” from Kyoga, Fuli, Ono, and Beshte along with a blank expression from Kion.

“I've got it!” Pinkie then thought of the true and perfect solution. “We'll deliver the care package to Rainbow Dash and Ono in person!”

“I wouldn't mind a little trip.” Rarity liked the idea open to traveling alongside Pinkie and Bunga.

“It would be nice to see Cloudsdale once again.” Beshte said while pondering the thought.“I’ll come along with you.”

“I’ll go!” Kion joined in. “It’ll be nice to see how Ono’s progress has been and how this training regime is working out for him.”

“Count me in!” Applejack chimed in while joining her friends.

“Me too.” Fluttershy also voiced she’ll join them.

“Me six.” Bunga added even though it wasn’t necessary.

“Me seven!” Pinkie did the same. “But don't be upset if she doesn't recognize you at first. It may take a while for her to get her memory back.” She added to which the others looked at her like she has lost it with Kyoga and Twilight face-hoof and face palming themselves clearly embarrassed by this random display.

“Well whatever you have in mind for both Rainbow and Ono, have fun out there.” Twilight said to them with the inclination to decline to accompany them. “Let me know how it goes.”

“You’re not coming Twilight.” Kion asked wondering why she isn’t keen on joining them.

“Sorry Kion, but I just got these new spells from Princess Celestia and I really want to practice some more.” Twilight apologized. “Probably better that way so I can get my magic up to speed in case I ever come across Scar again.”

“Probably right indeed.” Kyoga agreed while not feeling like going to Cloudsdale either with an expression to match her stance. “And to be honest, I think Twilight has the right idea here.” She said while moving to join her.

“Yeah.” Kion agreed with them. “Okay.”

“Sorry Kion.” Kyoga returned with regret for not wanting to come with them. “But I just have a strong feeling that this is a really bad idea.”

“What do you mean?” Kion asked.

“From what I heard the place is a training facility meant for flyers and officers only with a very strict sense of security.” She explained. “I just don’t think it’ll be a place you can just fly on over and greet her at any time.”

“Of course it will!” Bunga immediately insisted otherwise. “Rainbow Dash would have told us if she knew.”

“So true.” Pinkie agreed in a sing-song tone.

“Well…yes…” Twilight spoke up slightly reluctantly not trying to force it upon them while trying not to come across as hurting their feelings. “…I mean if you all be very careful and not interrupt their training I suppose they wouldn’t mind…a quick visit shouldn’t be that hard.”

“Of course it wouldn’t and you’re right! How hard can it be?” Pinkie smiled in delight before moving to put together her care package for the two flyers up in Cloudsdale. “Get our flight ready for take-off!” She shouted to the others.

“You got it, Pinkie!” Bunga shouted back before moving to do so with Kyoga giving a disappointed sigh feeling they shouldn’t be even trying to without setting off any alarms there.

“If it makes you feel any better, you’re more than welcome to go with them.” Twilight told the lioness that she still has the choice if she wants to.

“No, I think I'll stick my roots to the ground. Besides, i still don't think that's such a good idea." Kyoga politely declined. "I just have a strong feeling against going to a place where only Pegasus ponies can walk on clouds.”

“But the place should also be surrounded by clouds.” Twilight reminded her. “So they should have enough cover to get onto land they can walk across without needing a spell to keep them afloat.” Twilight then gently reassured. “As long as they are extra careful, they’ll be okay.”

“I sure hope you’re right.” Kyoga accepted her reasoning’s yet unsure if she is before heading back over to the Golden Oaks Library to train with her.

While the Lion and Pony Guard sans Twilight set out to fetch their hot air balloon, Twilight turned the other way with a pleased expression that they are all on board with this proposal.


At the same time, Scar is secretly watching this from his magic with a calculating look on his face. “It sure will take quite an effort to get everyone there.” He commented before focusing his magic on the pony insisting they go on over there. “But I’m sure it’ll be worth the effort and time to put into it. And who knows…” He added while eyeing the rest of the Guard preparing their ride over there. “…it could go well and you might be able to show your friends how much you care for them. Or...” He then said with sadistic interest. “…they could be experiencing the heartbreak over the loss of their friends.” He pulled a image of a proposed vision of the hot air balloon popping with everyone plummeting to their doom with his magic. “It sure would be a shame if something unfortunate were to happen to them. Something very unfortunate that could weaken the team of protectors of the Pride Lands and Equestria.” He then said while grinning at a sight of what could be if all goes like he envisioned.


Back in Cloudsdale, all of the cadets were lined up together for their next training exercise. One of the assistant Wonderbolts blew into his trumpet to signal the beginning of her superior’s instructions to the ponies lined up before having his trumpet pushed downwards due to the fact he accidentally blew it right in her ear. All the pony could do was give a sheepish and apologetic look back to his boss when she glared at him.

“Today we'll be doing our famous air obstacle course.” Spitfire began while gesturing everyone to the Wonderbolts creating pink clouds that produce lightning with machines producing tornado-like conditions in the sky. “The object of this exercise is to work on your precision flying under extreme circumstances. And don't worry about winning. It's not a race.” Lightning briefly winked towards Rainbow and Ono with different ideas much to their surprise. “Now everypony, get on your marks!” She addressed everyone who all place on their goggles before one of the Wonderbolt assistants blew into his whistle to send them off.

Lightning taking control of the team’s coordination takes the lead and has Rainbow and Ono fly after her while swiftly flying through the hoops and dodging of the clouds floating in between them. So far both Rainbow and Ono were able to keep pace and dodge every obstacle through at them but wished that Lightning would ease of the pace she was setting since it was hard to do both at the same time. Fortunately they got their wish when they the pink mare and her partner are both flying at a leisurely pace right in front of them.

“Ugh! Can't they go any faster?” Lightning complained wanting to go faster. “It's no good, I can't get around them!”

“Doesn't matter!” Rainbow asserted to remind her that winning isn’t the objective here. “We can still fly completely in sync and blow Spitfire's mind with our moves!”

“Yeah, the objective here is to work on our precision not our speed here.” Ono added.

“I guess...” She reluctantly accepted even she doesn’t really like it.

The three then followed after the two who then brave into the rainstorm section of the course where they start to struggle with the strong stormy winds in front of them.

Lightning herself is still not pleased with having to wait for them to make it through the course first.

“What are they, a couple of snails? It's just a little weather.” She impatiently remarked when they make it by the rainstorm area before moving towards the section where the machines producing strong winds. “Now's our chance to pass these slowpokes!” She told the two more cautious flyers before flying off ahead.

“But Lightning…” Ono cried out after her with no choice but to keep up with her. “Whoa….”

Lightning plowed right by them which sent them scattering into the other ponies behind them with Rainbow and Ono following alongside them in order to keep pace with her as much as they want to apologize for her recklessness.

The three then cleared all of the machines blowing strong winds their way by moving up and down to avoid flying in front of them and getting blown away before making it back to the finish line.

“Not bad! And in record time, too!” Spitfire remarked very impressed with their results. “Definitely made the right decision making you three a team.” The trio look on proudly before she turns over to the others sent flying into the clouds because of Lightning’s dominion effect sending them crash landing through her telescope. “The others seem to have had a little trouble with the precision part of the exercise. I'd better go help sort them out.” She and her assistants moved over to help free them. “Why don't you three go hit the mess hall early?”

“Yes, ma'am!”

“Will do, ma’am.”

“Thank you, ma’am.”

The three all said in her direction with the former thinking nothing of it with the others feeling unhappy with how she acted back there and caused it in the first place.

“Um, Lightning Dust? Next time, maybe we don't cut the other teams off like that.” Rainbow suggested considering that her impatience and recklessness caused this mess.

“Hey, you snooze, you lose!” Lightning callously dismissed it. “Besides, Wonderbolts are supposed to be able to recover from a spin-out. You saw them on the Dizzitron! They could use the practice. I mean, it's not our fault we're so much better than those other guys! Not every pony is destined to become a Wonderbolt. Only the best of the best, right?”

“Yeah, I-I guess you're right...” Rainbow agreed with her assessment unable to counter-argue there.

“But still…” Ono tried to bring up. “…The point of that exercise was to work on our precision and timing not blow everyone literally.”

“Relax, they’ll be fine.” Lightning again assured the two more honorable-sensed flyers before turning to the cafeteria. “Now let's go fuel up! Kicking all that tail has made me hungry.”

Both Rainbow and Ono share unsure looks towards each other before following after her. Sure the Wonderbolts look for the fastest of the fast, but what she is doing is showing no regard or empathy towards other who gets in her way and that’s what really concerns them.


Sometime afterwards, everyone is called back for their next exercise, cloud busting where teams clear as many clouds they can their way and make way for the blue sky around them. Many teams have had no trouble with this team exercise slowly picking off clouds one by one with Rainbow, Ono, and Lightning all excelling once more by taking out multiple clouds all at once. So far they were way out in front in the cloud count.

“I have an idea about how we can literally blow away our competition.” Lightning proposed to her teammates.

“But we're already way ahead.”

“Yeah, why blow it when we have it?”

Both Rainbow and Ono pointed out.

“Are you in or not?” Lightning asked irritably of them when a thought in Rainbow’s mind occurs to her.

“Rainbow…” Ono asked if she is not seriously thinking about what Lightning is thinking.

“Lightning Dust likes to push herself a little harder than you do. That's why I made her lead pony.” Spitfire’s word from the other day rang in Rainbow’s head which sparked her stance on the matter.

“I'm in!”

“What?!”

“Then follow my lead!” Lightning then had her and Ono fly in circles so they all can create a tornado big and strong enough to wipe out the remaining clouds.

Of course Ono’s worries were true when Lightning started to lose control of the twister she created when it ended up going too fast for her.

“I can't control it!” She screamed when all three flyers were sent flying out of the funnel with one of the Wonderbolts keeping score had to move out of the way to avoid getting sucked into it.

And if things couldn’t get any worse, the Lion and Pony Guard sans Twilight and Kyoga arrived in the skies nearby on their ride.

“Hevi Kabisa!” Kion said in alarm at the same time Applejack saw what’s coming towards them.

“It's a twister!” Applejack alerted everyone.

“Hold on!” Fuli told everyone just when they are all powerless to avoid being sucked into the tornado.

“Hapana!” Ono screamed upon catching this and alerting his recovering fast friend. “Look!”

Rainbow recovered enough to see the tornado sending their friends flying out of their hot air balloon and down towards the ground, thousands of feet down from a hard and potentially fatal fall.

“Noooooo!” Rainbow screamed before quickly flying down to save them with the other Wonderbolts sans Lightning Dust watch and follow after her ready to help. “Hang on!” She told Ono who got a grip on Rainbow’s uniform while she flies at top speed in order to intercept their friends.

Using a tunnel that leads from Rainbow Falls to an opening just down below the mountain, Rainbow was able to pass all of her falling and screaming friends before flying around some nearby clouds to create a cushion to break their fall.

The Guard was able to stop screaming for a moment before they find themselves flung back up into the air and into the arms of the Wonderbolts who each caught them by the arms with Ono managing to catch Bunga and the muscular pony catching their package.

Rarity who was very grateful of the Wonderbolt catching her gave her a big hug of gratitude while Fluttershy sheepishly flew out of the Wonderbolts arms upon remembering that she too is a Pegasus that can fly. The other were able to sigh in relief once they were all saved and placed onto the ground where some of the other Wonderbolts with Rainbow included coming over to make sure they’re okay.

“Are you guys okay?” Rainbow popped the question who all nod their heads while replying “Uh-huh.”

“Glad to see your training is paying off.” Kion commented to the egret flying over their shoulders.

“I’ll say.” Ono said with a gasp from seeing that was a close call there when Rainbow was hugging Kion and Applejack in relief. “I’m just glad I caught it in time and that Rainbow was fast enough to cushion your fall.”

“No kidding.” Bunga remarked feeling pleased they all made it out alive while hugging his egret friend. “High falls sure don’t have soft landings.”

“Nope.” Ono dully commented. “Common knowledge really.”

“Pinkie Pie!” Rainbow turned to the mare struggling to get up on her hooves.

“You... remember me!” She said to her with happy tears before hugging her around the neck.

“Well... yeah, of course I remember you.” Rainbow kindly returned even it was only a few days before turning to the others. “But... what are you all doing here?”

“We wanted to bring you a care package.” Applejack answered on behalf of the team. “Didn't realize you'd be in the middle of some crazy tornado drill.”

“Looks like we should have listened to Kyoga after all.” Fuli commented while berating herself for coming along for the ride.

“Well, the crazy tornado wasn’t exactly what neither me nor Rainbow had in mind for what we were doing.” Ono clarified. “But we also didn’t have a great teammate who thinks that way.”

Said mare who created that came forward feeling pleased with the results with the nearby Wonderbolts shooting disapproving looks in her direction. “That... was... awesome!”

“Awesome?” Ono remarked as if she didn’t see what her recklessness nearly done. “Our friends could have been smashed to pieces!”

“Yeah, but they weren't, right?” Lightning once again callously remarked. “Can't say the same for the clouds.” She commented on the now clear blue skies. “We totally wiped them out with that tornado. The other cadets will have to be up there for days to bust as many as we did.”

None of the cadets were pleased with this mare for her lack of concern for life as evidenced by their looks of appalled disgust that she would be more than happy to toss their lives to the trash if it benefited her. But Lightning paid no attention to it while offering a hoof bump with both of her teammates.

“A hoof bump? Seriously?” Rainbow returned just as angry as Ono for her behavior while refusing to bump hoofs with her. “You made me clip my wing. You sent half of our class into serious tailspins on the obstacle course. You unleashed a tornado that nearly demolished my friends!”

“Yeah, and?”

“Point being you actions put everyone around you in danger and you don’t even care.” Ono angrily added. “You lack discipline and patience all in the pursuit of wanting to be the best.”

“I get that you want to be the best. So do I! But you're going about it in the wrong way.” Rainbow added in agreement with the Guard’s Keenest of Sight.

“The Wonderbolts don't seem to think so.” Lightning shrugged to point out that Spitfire has been impressed with the results and records they broken together. “After all, Spitfire did make me the leader and you the wingpony.”

“You're right. She did.” Rainbow returned not even attempting to deny it.

But needless to say she is done playing this game before making her way to Spitfire’s office with Ono following after her but not without shooting another dirty look at Lightning who simply shrugged still not finding she did anything wrong.


Both Rainbow and Ono opened the door to Spitfire’s office where the mare is expecting a good reason for coming here. “This better be important. You're supposed to be up there busting clouds with your partner.”

“We're done with that, ma'am.” Rainbow reported with a salute with Ono doing the same.

“Already?” Spitfire returned surprised to hear this while turning back to the clock on her wall while taking off her shades. “That's an academy record! Explain your methods.”

“That's why we’re here, ma'am.” Rainbow answered before getting to the point. “Lightning Dust decided to use a tornado.”

“A bit excessive for cloud-busting.” Spitfire commented with a scratch of her chin before giving a pleased smile to the two. “But judging from your time, it was obviously an effective tactic.”

“Yeah, well that "effective tactic" nearly took out our friends!” Ono commented thinking it shouldn’t be worth a medal. “No disrespect, ma'am, but there's a big difference between pushing yourself as hard as you can and just being reckless.

“Yeah!” Rainbow commented in agreement. “And if being reckless is what gets rewarded around here, if that's what it means to be a Wonderbolt, then I don't want any part of it.”

“What are you saying, newbies?” Spitfire demanded where they are going with this.

“We quit.” Both Rainbow and Ono stated while taking off their badges and placing them on her desk before storming out of her office much to her shock that they actually did that.

As soon as the doors closed after them, Rainbow had an expression of regret knowing that there is no going back now while Ono sighed knowing that he is throwing away a perfect opportunity to train and prepare himself for whatever the Pride Lands worst adversary has in store for everyone. But they both had strong morality that says just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should and that wasn’t worth pursuing.


“You did what?!” Applejack commented in shock with what both flyers have told them once they regrouped back at the runway by then both Twilight and Kyoga had arrived on the scene.

“Being a Wonderbolt was your dream!” Rarity added just as shocked that Rainbow would go through with giving it up.

“Not anymore.” Rainbow seriously responded while packing her saddlebag ready to leave.

“I'm sorry, Rainbow Dash.” Twilight sympathized with a hoof on her back with Applejack doing the same. “I know how much this meant to you.”

“I know.” Ono remarked with slight regret but can’t take it back even if he wanted to. “But what’s done is done. And it’s the worst thing we’ve ever done.”

“I know.” Kion acknowledged while understanding their reasons.

Just when both Twilight and Applejack comfort Rainbow for making the toughest decision she has ever made in her life, Spitfire arrived on the scene with words to say to her and Ono.

“Rainbow Dash! Ono! How dare you two storm out of my office without giving me a chance to respond!” She scolded them with her two assistants following behind her. “The Wonderbolts are looking for the best flyers in Equestria, but you were right.” She added while taking off her shades after giving it some re-thinking. “Being the best should never come at the expense of our fellow ponies. It's not just about pushing ourselves. It's about pushing ourselves in the right direction. You've shown that you're capable of doing just that.”

She nodded at the two ponies behind her who moved aside to have Lightning brought forward to her. It’s evidently clear that Lightning has been brought to be disciplined for her actions.

She is given a stern glare from her commanding officer before being stripped of her badge and pointed a hoof towards the opposite direction. She has been dismissed from the Wonderbolts for her recklessness. And suffice to say Lightning was not expecting this at all this just after she was praised for the results she produced ever since she got here. And left her feeling crushed deep inside.

Twilight taking note of this felt sympathy for her having a good feel that even with what she did and how she got here, she didn’t deserve this kind of punishment. And that’s where she put her hoof forward in her defense.

“Wait!” She bravely called out before she could be escorted off of the premises. “I don’t think you should kick her off the premises for this.”

“What was that young mare?!” Spitfire demanded an explanation for her bold choice to speak out.

“Forgive me ma’am.” Twilight began in an apologetic manner before approaching her with what she is personally thinking. “I know this isn’t my place to speak out, but I think you should reconsider. I mean sure what she did was reckless and not Wonderbolt material but all she was just trying to do was prove herself and secure a spot in the Wonderbolts. And from what I’ve heard and no offense ma’am but you rewarding her and encouraging this kind of effectiveness beforehand did have a hoof leading up to this.” Spitfire looked aside with a look that knows that she is right with Lightining feeling surprised that she is sticking her neck out for her. “I mean this doesn’t excuse her actions and it doesn’t mean she shouldn’t be punished, but I don’t think it’s fair to expel her and have her dreams crushed over this misguided direction of what she thought of how to go on about it.” Both Rainbow and Ono thought and came to see what Twilight is trying to say while recalling the previous wedding once more. “While I promise to respect whatever decision you make, all I ask is that you reconsider and give Lightning a second chance.”

Spitfire processed her words before making her decision after a few seconds.

“Very well.” She nodded before turning back to Lightning. “Lightning!” The mare groaned wondering what more is she going to take away from her until she continued addressing her. “Here!” She placed the silver badge on her chest. “You’re getting a second chance thanks to your mare friend here.” She gestured to Twilight. “But no more reckless stunts like that again. Or else, you can forget about being a Wonderbolt at all. Got it?”

“Yes, ma’am.” She complied taking this demotion over being expelled without question.

“Good because now you follow Rainbow Dash and Ono’s lead.” She said while placing two gold badges on both Rainbow and Ono’s uniform while removing the bronze medal from Ono’s uniform. “You're no wingpony, Rainbow Dash and you’re no mid-swing bird, Ono, You're both leaders.”

“Wow!” Ono felt pleased with this promotion but it was nothing compared to the sudden gushing excitement from her Pegasus partner.

“OhmygoshOhmygoshOhmygoshOhmygoshOhmygosh!”

Everyone including Spitfire is very proud of them before the leader of the Wonderbolts put on her shades and adopted her serious expression once more.

“Now get out there and give me twenty!” Spitfire barked an order for them.

“Yes, ma'am!” Both Rainbow and Ono saluted before leading everyone to perform laps around the skies around the academy.

Seeing this left Kion very proud of the two of them feeling they truly deserve a role in leadership amongst the elite flyers in Equestria especially Ono since he has shown remarkable improvement since joining them.

“Looks like having Ono join the Wonderbolts was the right call.” Twilight commented to Kion. “He sure has the wings and leadership of a true Wonderbolt.”

“He sure does.” Kion didn’t even deny that before bringing up something else. “And you sure have a heart in giving others a second chance.” He complimented the mare who slightly blushed trying to think nothing of speaking out in Lightning’s defense.

“I just didn’t think being expelled over a mistake that was previously encouraged was truly warranted.” Twilight tried to say to downplay it to which no one was buying it while shifting her eyes to the side.

“Sure you were.” Kyoga remarked with a teasing smile. “Like you did back at the Savannah Summit.” She recalled doing the same for Makuu.

“Well, King Simba and Princess Celestia wanted me to keep a close eye on him and he sincerely proved he wasn’t causing any trouble.” Twilight humbly and honestly pointed out.

“And we’re not saying it’s a bad thing.” Beshte chimed in. “We’re saying that’s good that you’re sticking your neck out for those deserve to be redeemed for their mistakes.”

“And it is very kind of you that you care.” Fluttershy sweetly added.

“Aww, stop.” Twilight shrugged with a hoof in a playful manner. ”You’re embarrassing me.”

Just then Pinkie suddenly remembered why there are here in the first place. “Wait!” She called out to the Wonderbolt cadets doing laps. “You didn't even get to open your care package!”

The Guard chuckled upon seeing this sight before getting her to see that they’ll open in once they are done for the day. Which did not go unnoticed by Scar watching from down below a lower cliff from where he secretly used unnoticeable magic to increase the intensity of the tornado Lightning created.

Scar then quickly teleported away before being spotted by both of the new leader of the Wonderbolt cadets in flight.


Sometime later that night, Lightning is sleeping in her quarters before being awaken by a sudden flash of green light in her room.

“What the horsefeathers…? She exclaimed upon waking up and looking at the source of smoke in her direction. “What’s going on?”

“Don’t worry, Lightning.” The voice from the voice of Scar told her before appearing in the flesh. “We’re friends here.”

“Scar.” She quietly voiced in fear of him along with her shaking hooves like she has to go to the bathroom. “What do want from me?”

“Actually, I’m here to give you something.” Scar voiced on the contrary while offering her a new uniform that is colored black with neon green stripes on it. “A little something for someone who deserves to be the best of the best.”

“Why?” Lightning wondered why he would offer her this. “I couldn’t possibly stray away from the Wonderbolts.”

“Ah that’s true.” Scar slyly nodded. “But they also encouraged you to act reckless in the first place and they rewarded you for it.” He then reminded while circling around the mare. “Ever since you got here you have performed the fastest time on the Dizzitron on the hardest level, kept up with the Pony Guard’s fastest, captured the most flags, and achieved record times in every obstacle course and training exercise thrown in your path.” He then leaped on her bed with his claws sinking into her mattress. “You were named lead pony for those reasons along with the fact that unlike Rainbow Dash you were meant to push limits.” He then removed his claws from the mattress before moving over to the mare just inches away from her.

“But it was those reasons that cost me lead pony.” Lightning brought up while trying to understand how he knows all of this. “And how would you what’s best for me?”

“Because I’m a mind-reader and a pony expert.” Scar simply responded before locking eyes with her. “And I’m telling you what is best for you because I know that’s want you want. You were meant for this, you deserve to be the top Wonderbolt here.”

“Well, that’s true.” Lightning came to agree the point he is trying to make. “I do.”

“Then why not prove it.” Scar tempted once more while lifting his suit to her. “Show them what you’re truly made of and that they were wrong to try to have you kicked out of the Wonderbolts over such a mistake that didn’t deserve expulsion.” Lightning was left more and more with her conflicting thoughts unable to deny that this lion is speaking the truth as much as the Wonderbolts on their assessment of her.

“What do I have to do?” Lightning asked of the lion who smirks upon seeing that she is on board with whatever he has to offer her before he moves to explain what he has in mind…

Author's Note:

In this episode, both Rainbow and Ono join the new recruits in boot camp for Wonderbolts flight training. There they meet their new partner and lead pony Lightning Dust, a bold and daring pony just like Rainbow, willing to do anything to be the best... even if it meets getting reckless and tossing the other recruits and teammates aside with no value to her.

Here Ono is joining Rainbow Dash because the latter sees it's training it has to offer something that the former could use which proved crucial in helping save his friends and further cementing himself as Wonderbolt potential. With this new training, Ono should definitely be ready for the next time Scar comes around.

One thing I'd like to point out that after watching this episode, while there is no denying Lightning had it coming in the end, getting kicked off the Wonderbolts after driving on being rewarded for it was quite harsh and she never got the chance to redeem herself later on.

Luckily for her, one mare was willing to speak up for her to convince the Wonderbolts to give her that chance and she seems like she is moving towards that path...

...at least until Scar paid her a visit and used the power of persuasion to convince her otherwise. And whether he wants her to do to get what she wants to well, it's a mystery for later on in this series.

A heads up it's going to be about a week until the next published chapter, but when we get back we will have the mid-season finale coming up next and for this we will have the first 4 comics of the FIM IDW series to serve as the season's first 4-parter for this episode so stay tuned as both Chrysalis and Scar cook up another scheme together to try to take over Equestria in the Return of Queen Chrysalis.