• Published 31st Jul 2021
  • 3,220 Views, 141 Comments

The Pony Guard (Season 3) - MXCDarkHorse2020



The Lion and Pony Guard all seek to keep the peace between the two worlds together while they all now deal with the threat of Scar who's return is now threatening that very balance.

  • ...
2
 141
 3,220

Episode 2: The Crystal Empire Part Two

Episode 2:

The Crystal Empire Part Two:

With the black clouds closing in on the center of the Crystal Empire, the strong winds and harsh snow falls grow stronger with every passing second King Sombra advances on the kingdom. His spirit’s head rises and chuckles upon seeing the castle within sight.

“The Empire is under attack.” Shining Armor announced towards everyone watching from the balcony before turning to the trio of siblings starting to struggle to keep King Sombra at bay.

Seeing this, Princess Cadance quickly took action and reactivated her magic to help back them up.

King Sombra also quick to see this attempted to charge straight into the heart of the empire but was too late. His red horn got chopped off by her magic to which he howled in pain when it happened. The horn then melted away once it was rendered useless.

While the three were able to breathe a sigh of relief, Cadance had sudden fatigue going through her mind again since she had just used so much magic so fast in repelling Sombra’s attempted advance. She bought everyone time with what she has just perfomed, but time is still at the essence since King Sombra is way too powerful to kept forced back.

Shining Armor’s magic is decommissioned along with Kion’s Roar and Cadance’s magic along with Kyoga and her siblings magic is starting to run thin. So unless they find the real Crystal Heart and fast, they will have to prepare for a reign of darkness from this dark-magic fueled unicorn king.

“I have to find the Crystal Heart!” Shining Armor declared only to be stopped by Twilight.

“No, you stay here with Cadance.” She quickly ordered. “She needs you, Shining Armor. More than ever.” She gently reasoned. “I'll retrieve the Heart.” She vowed before running off ahead.

“Let's do this!” Rainbow was quick to join her along with Ono in flight.

“We’re right behind you Twilight!” Ono vowed.

“I've been trying to figure out how I'm meant to pass Celestia's test. Retrieving the Crystal Heart must be it.” Twilight explained before tasking the two flyers tagging along with something. “But there is something else you can do.”

“Name it.”

“What is it?”

“You and the rest of the Guard have to keep the Faire going.” Twilight instructed them.

“What?”

“With that thing moving into the Empire?”

Both questioned unsure if that’s a good idea.

“The whole purpose of the Crystal Faire is to lift the spirits of the Crystal Ponies, so they can activate the Crystal Heart.” Twilight explained why it’s necessary.

“Yeah, and?” Rainbow asked for more why while they raced down the stairs.

“If the Crystal Ponies find out that King Sombra is trying to take over the Empire again, their spirits are gonna be anything but lifted.” She added on just as Applejack guards the covered replica with Fuli alongside to help her out. “It won't matter if I find the Crystal Heart. They won't be able to make it work. You have to keep them happy here at the Faire. So for the sake of our friendship can you both do that?”

“Keep the Faire going and the Crystal Ponies' spirits high. Done and done!”

“Affirmative!”

Both saluted with confident smiles before setting back in the fair’s direction while Twilight prepares to head out on her own.

“Twily, be careful.” Her brother called out to her from the balcony.

“I will.” She vowed with a warm smile in his direction before heading on out to which both he and Kion both saw this as a sign that she is making more steps into forgiving them and hinted that she might if everything goes well.

Rainbow then flew off and relied the update to Rarity who was currently making hoof crafted arts and crafts pottery had out of wood and straw who would rely the information to Spike who was there alongside her to help and watch her. And after Spike was just updated of what Twilight is now doing, he quickly ran off to find her not wanting her to handle this all alone.


While Twilight is thinking to herself of where to find the Crystal Heart she passed by some of the Guard taking part in the fair’s activities with Fluttershy and Beshte having an easy time bringing smiles to the ponies hearts and colors due to their kind nature.

“Who wants a flugelhorn?” Rainbow elsewhere shouted to the crowd.

“I want a flugelhorn!”

“Me too!”

Both Pinkie and Bunga exclaimed in reply while wearing jokester outfits to which earned them an irritated frown from both her and Ono.

“Who else wants a flugelhorn?” Ono shouted to everyone.

“I want a flugelhorn!!” Pinkie screamed like a child throwing a tantrum.

“Yeah!” Bunga protested just as childishly. “What do we look like children?”

“Yes.” Ono bluntly responded with a blank expression.

Twilight during this looked around to see that everything is going as planned so far before smiling upon knowing where she can find the Crystal Heart.

“Twilight, wait!” Spike called out to her while running and catching up to her. “I'm coming with you!” He stated while stopping for a moment to catch his breath.

“Thanks but it’s okay. I got this.” Twilight tried to politely decline that. “I’ll be fine in finding the Crystal Heart by myself.”

“Come on please?” He insisted on being there for company. “I promise I won't lift a claw to help you.”

Twilight sighed before levitating the baby dragon onto her back to comply with his wishes. “Not a claw, Spike.”


Twilight then set out while running through the streets of the Crystal Empire while maneuvering around the ponies walking by.

“Where are we going exactly?” Spike asked.

“I think I might know where King Sombra hid the Crystal Heart.” Twilight answered.

“The king would've been counting on the fact that nopony would dare come looking for it here.” Twilight explained while approaching the castle ahead. “They'd have been too afraid to even try.”

“I hope you're right.“

“I’m certain about it.” Twilight replied definitely sure she is. “Just like before.”


Elsewhere, the Crystal Fair is still going on smoothly, although some of the crystal ponies are eagerly seeking to get a peek at the Crystal Heart. Some of them to which Rainbow Dash was quick to get right in ponies faces whenever they got nearby.

“What are you lookin' at?!” She interrogated one of them before he quickly backed off. “That's what I thought!”

Even if they shouldn’t be seeing it, it’s doing very little in assuring that everything is all right to which Fuli quickly pulled Rainbow aside to chastise her for doing so.

“Seriously! We're supposed to be actin' like nothing's wrong not scaring them away.”

“Got any better ideas?” She returned to which she thought of before turning to the alicorn princess on the balcony.

“Yes. Since she has help with the protection spell I’ll try to ask her to help handle dealing with them.” Fuli proposed. “In the meantime, you can show off your joustin' skills.”

“Well…” Rainbow scratched her chin while liking the idea. “Seeing my awesomeness does have a way of putting ponies into a pretty good mood…All right.” She accepted. “But only if you’ll spar with me.”

“Deal.” She accepted before heading on over to the jousting section while Fuli rushed off to fetch Cadance.

“Although…” She thought to herself. “…I’m curious to see how well Twilight’s brother of a jouster he is.”

With Fuli’s back turned, one of the crystal ponies approaches the covered Crystal Heart and it was the pony that Twilight questioned earlier.

“How are y'all feelin'? Havin' a good time?” Applejack greeted.

“The best I've had in over a thousand years!” She happily returned.

“Well, that's good!” Applejack was pleased to hear that while stepping forward towards her to force her to back up away from the Heart. “Gotta renew that spirit of love and unity if you're gonna power up that Crystal Heart, right?”

“I sure would like to see it before the ceremony. It's been such a long time.” She expressed while trying to tilt her head to get a peek with Applejack quick to do the same.

“Oh, I hear ya, but, uh... phew…!” Applejack stammered due to her inability to lie but luckily for her, Ono came flying by to her rescue.

“What’s the rush?” Ono asked the mare. “You’ll get to see it when it’s time. Plus there’s plenty of other activities flying around here. Ooh.” He turned her attention to a drink stand before seeing other ponies trying to get a peek. “Ooh! There’s a jousting match about to start! The Fastest of the Fastest from both the Lion and Pony Guard going toe to toe with each other! Now how about that?”

The crowd instantly rushed over there to which Ono smiled before wiping the sweat away from his forehead.

“Thanks.”

“No problem.”

The two exchanged before wondering their thoughts about Twilight and her search for the real Crystal Heart.

“Come on, Twilight... These Crystal Ponies are more curious than a cat!” Applejack said to herself.

“Don’t worry.” The white egret assured. “I’ll help you handle this and try to see if Princess Cadance can come out here to help you out. But for now let’s just make sure everything is doing keen well here.”

“Got it.” Applejack nodded before continuing to keep friendly guard around the area with Ono.


Back in the castle, Twilight and Spike are running around searching every inch of the castle for anything that would lead them close to the real deal but so far have found nothing. At least not until something clicked in Twilight’s mind that clued her in of where to look before leading Spike to the throne room.

“If the Empire is filled with hope and love, those things are reflected across all of Equestria. If hatred and fear take hold...” The memory of Princess Celestia’s demonstration echoing through her mind.

“Of course!”

“Did you find it?” Spike inquired.

“No. Because this isn't King Sombra's castle.” She answered as they both walk up to the throne.

“Well, isn't this where he lived when he was in power?” Spike questioned wondering what she meant by that.

“It is. But it didn't look like this.” Twilight replied before ushering him to step back a safe distance before focusing her magic on the crystal floor below them.

She concentrated on her focus on performing dark magic which resulted in the aura on her horn turning from violet red to black surrounded by green and purple spots.

Spike was left awed while a little unsettled by her sudden new mastery of dark magic. Especially when he noticed she was showing visible strain from using it along with noticing her scar is emitting more black smoke from it like before. But she successfully used the new skill to shoot a powerful beam at the crystal throne opening up a secret passageway but not without hearing a familiar voice from before.

“Hello, Twilight Sparkle.” Scar’s voice spoke from the room to which Spike jumped in fright upon hearing him. “I see you have now mastered the art of dark magic.” Twilight looked around to find where he is around the room. “It sure feels good unlocking your true potential. Doesn’t it?”

“What are you talking about, Scar?” Twilight seriously inquired with a no-nonsense attitude. “And where are you hiding?”

“Right in front of you!” Scar answered while immediately appearing right in front of her with an amused smirk. “Guess it seems you despise guessing games. That’s all right. I too despise them myself.”

“What do you want?!” Twilight demanded while Spike quickly ducked behind one of her back leg’s for safety from him.

“Nothing.” He simply answered in front of the glaring unicorn. “Just thought I stop by and check to see how you have been since the wedding. I see the wedding scars are still showing.”

“Yeah, no thanks to you!” Twilight retorted rather resentfully. “Why did you do that?”

“Because you defied me that’s why.” Scar merely replied. “You should have taken up my offer back then when you had the chance.” He added before circling and pacing around the unicorn. “Then perhaps what happened to you could have been avoided just like your friends and family.” He added while eyeing the baby dragon cowering behind his friend before lowering his head to look at him at his eye level. “And yes, I’m talking about you too, Spike, little baby dragon.”

Spike nervously gulped before Twilight lowering her head down to see Scar eye to eye.

“You leave him out of this and get out of here before I demolish you, Scar!” Twilight ominously warned in his defense with her horn flaring up.

“Oh Twilight, must this all end in violence?” Scar casually shrugged off her threat while walking aside. “Clearly you are still worked up from what happened back then, I understand. Because I too experienced what you went through and yes it was painful and hurtful to be walked out on those you once trusted. But it ultimately turned out for the better because it allowed me to see the truth.”

“What truth would that be?” Twilight asked to which Scar chuckled in response.

“That friendship is nothing but a sham and a sucker’s game.” He answered. “And that you can’t count on anyone especially your heroes.” Twilight still glares at him still trying to make sense of what he is cryptically saying. “I mean think about, it you looked up to them. Your brother, your friends, and your mentor who you see as a mother to you. You went through a once great bond with them and were there for them when they needed your help. But when the roles reversed they left you high and dry at your lowest point.”

Twilight wanted to say something in their defense but couldn’t come but with a strong defense knowing that he is right about what happened at the wedding. Even after all the time they have known each other and even after all they have been through together they still automatically trusted a stranger who should have been turned away upon first sight. And when she tried to stop her she ended up getting the boot from her brother’s most special day with harsh reprimanding words. And that triggered a growl from Twilight upon remembering that painful memory at the wedding rehearsal.

“Think about it and remember what happened that day.” Scar encouraged her to reconsider before preparing to leave her and Spike alone. “Who can trust? Who’s on your side? Who knows?”

Scar then teleported away in a flash leaving Twilight deep in thought while rubbing her left eye in pain.

“Twilight?” Spike nervously gulped once more before sighing in relief now that the sinister lion is gone. “Are you okay?”

“Come on, Spike.” Twilight levitated him onto her back before heading down the stairs. “We better get going. Time is at the essence here.”

Once again, Spike’s worries resurfaced upon hearing Twilight’s response feeling that Scar might have resurfaced the reason why she gave them all the cold shoulder while sitting and hanging on for the ride down the stairs.


Twilight made her way down the down-spiral stair case downwards where the stairs itself are seemingly endless since it took a few minutes to get down to the bottom but they were both able to get down to the bottom. Suddenly remembering to check outside to see how King Sombra is doing, she pulled up a magical aura that showed the borders of the Crystal Empire. And so far even with Kyoga and her siblings magic backing up Princess Cadance’s protection spell, King Sombra’s spirit is still advancing on the empire while turning the upcoming crystals into black dark magic-filled crystals.

“Yesss... Crystalsss...” The unicorn king growled while using his dark magic. “It’s only a matter of time know better this empire falls into my hooves.”

“It's not good!” Spike commented. “Cadance and the girl's magic must be fading faster than before!”

“Then will have to speed this up a little!” Twilight declared before using her magic to slide down the remaining stairs until they got to the bottom.

They found a door at the bottom of the staircase to which magically reappeared in another part of the cave when Twilight tried to approach and open it.

“What in the...” Twilight questioned upon the door dodging her for the second time before trying again to get it to cooperate. “Stop... moving!” After being dodged one too many times, Twilight once again worked her dark magic into stopping the door in its place.

“Stay here.” Twilight instructed Spike after massaging her scarred eye before approaching the door. “Spike, I think it's here!” She said upon trotting to inside where she thinks the Crystal Heart is. “Huh?”

She suddenly finds herself in the hallways of the Canterlot palace.

“How in the name of Celestia?” She wondered out loud before being greeted with a cold remark.

“What are you doing here?” The sun princess of all ponies said to her much to her surprise.

“I don't know! I opened the door and–“ Twilight tried to explain before being cut off by her who didn’t even turn back to face her.

“And now you must go.”

“Go where?” Twilight asked in confusion.

“Doesn't matter to me. You failed the test, Twilight!” She dismissively responded much to her shocked dismay.

“I don't understand! The test?” She protested trying to understand why this was happening. “How did this happen? I don’t even know how I got back here!”

“Save it.” Celestia stated having none of it. “Because not only will you not move on to the next level of your studies, you won't continue your studies at all!”

“I...” Twilight was left stunned and hurt to the core. “You didn't say anything about no longer being your student if I failed!”

“Didn't I?” She merely replied while brushing her aside with one of her wings before walking away and out of the room with closed eyes, refusing to even look at her.

“But... what do I do now?” Twilight was just left very vulnerable like before at the wedding before drawing her attention to a stained glass painting featuring King Sombra conquering the Crystal Empire looking over a defeated Twilight Sparkle surrounded by the Crystal Heart’s magic falling into the pits of black crystals and red flames down below.

“Guess you should have listened to me when you still had the chance, Twilight.” Scar’s voice told her with his head appearing in the red and black flames of the portrait while evilly smirking and looking down at the unicorn below. “Face it, friendship has failed you once and it has failed you again.”

Scar and King Sombra both cackled evilly while a distraught Twilight sobs to herself feeling further heartbroken then before.

“Twilight? Twilight?! Twilight!” Spike questioned upon seeing Twilight like this before repeating it twice more to get her to shake snap out of the illusion she had just saw. “What were you looking at?” He asked before looking through the doorway to try to see what Twilight saw.

When he did, the dark magic from the doorway had his eyes glow sickly green much like Twilight’s just a minute ago. “...Ponyville?!” He questioned. “Well, how did I get... No!” He then suddenly broke down in tears. “I don't wanna go! Please, Twilight, don't make me! If this is about what happened at the wedding, I’m sorry!”

Acting quick, Twilight shut the door closed to cut off the spell that’s allowing Spike to see what he is seeing.

“King Sombra's dark magic. A doorway that leads to your worst fear.” Twilight explained to him.

“We were home. You told me you didn't need me anymore. You were sending me away...” Spike tearfully explained.

“A fear that will never come to pass.” Twilight warmly assured while embracing him. “I'm never gonna send you away. And I'm not gonna fail my test!” She vowed before sending magic at the top of the door.

Only this time she used the magic she usually uses to open the door and it actually worked in leading them down the path to where the Crystal Heart’s true hiding spot is. However, they also had another huge obstacle…

…the many, many, stairs leading up to the top of the castle.

But nevertheless, the two proceeded to start walking up them not about to see to it that King Sombra conquers the empire.

“So, Twilight…” Spike began with something else on his mind. “…I know you don’t really want to talk about this but you’re not thinking that Scar might be right about friendship just because we walked out on you, are you?”

Twilight thought about it for a moment before turning back to give him her answer. “Of course not. At least not to you.”

“You’re not mad at me?” Spike asked hopefully.

“No.” She confirmed. “You have always been by my side no matter even when at my lowest point in life ever since I passed my entrance exam and that’s never going to change no matter what so you have nothing to worry about.”

“Really?” Spike asked just to be sure there are no hard feelings.

“Really.” Twilight returned with a smile at his direction to which left Spike very touched when she moves ahead towards the top of the stairs.


Back on the balcony at the Crystal Palace, Kyoga and her siblings are still managing to maintain their grip on the protection spell along with the princess who is watching over Applejack and Ono divert ponies away from the fake Crystal Heart, but King Sombra is still slowly and surely advancing on the empire with more crystals turned dark by every passing minute.

“He’s still coming towards us.” Ono announced to the three while getting a glimpse of King Sombra regaining his horn with his keen sight. “And he’s got a full horn ready to keep charging.”

“Hevi Kabisa.” Kion softly exclaimed while still drinking his water because of the dark crystals in his throat were still not letting up and making it easy for him to speak before turning to the three with a hopeful look that screams they got to have something up their paws to help back Princess Cadance up. “Please…” cough* “…tell me you…” cough* “…girls have some more inner…” cough* “…strength to keep him back.” He further coughed before focusing his attention back on taking bigger gulps of water with Cadance patting his back to make sure he isn’t choking.

“We’re doing the best we can!” Karabi spoke on behalf of her siblings while slightly straining to keep one of her paws powering the spell.

“His magic is too strong for us!” Lite added in-between grunts.

Kion wanted to say something to Kyoga until Cadance placed one of her hooves on her chin while shaking her head before asking the question he wanted to say to her. “Kyoga, do you think you’ve learned something from her time training under the Tree of Harmony that could help enhance our magic?”

“I don’t know…?” Kyoga could only answer. “…I’d have to think deep and hope for something but I can’t promise anything.”

“Just do your best.” Cadance simply advised. “We still have some time.”

While Kyoga continues helping focus her magic on the protection spell, she also thinks long and hard of the previous lessons the Tree’s spirit told her hoping there is something that’ll help her unlock more hidden potential in her magic.


Back at the Faire grounds, ponies are cheering when both Rainbow Dash and Fuli are both preparing to face off against each other in a jousting tournament. Both were decked out in crystal blue armor and have long jousting spears ready to charge at each other.

Pinkie and Bunga both still wearing their joker outfits were both doing standing on one paw and hoof each when they suddenly heard thunder. King Sombra is get closer and closer to the empire so they had to act quickly to avoid a panic from the crowd. So they quickly blew into their flugelhorns to commence the beginning of the round.

The two immediately charged at each other, two equally confident faces squaring off. These two have each traded matches with each other and the score is all tied up at three apiece with Rainbow winning the first match with Fuli winning the second match. The winner of this round is the winner of the best of seven tournament.

Both Rainbow and Fuli charged in full throttle with the former confident that she’ll win this, but Fuli however has one little trick up her paws that has her thinking otherwise.

Rainbow readied her spear to aim at Fuli’s direction with the cheetah doing the same. But just at the last second Fuli quickly changed her aim and approach when the peagsus moved to aim her spear towards her left by ducking under and caused her to be knocked back.

Rainbow tumbled backwards while the crowd cheered for them for another spectacular jousting demonstration.

“What?” Rainbow asked dumbfounded that she lost that time around just when the victor approaches her to help her up. “But how?”

“Easy.” Fuli replied with a smug smile. “I knew you would try the same approach just like before so I quickly changed tactics on you and did what you’d least expect from me.”

“But you always charge head on and we’ve traded matches before.” Rainbow protested.

“And…” Fuli giggled in response. “…now I decided to do something different to ensure that I come out on top when it counts the most. Think about it. It actually pays to think outside the box and look at the bigger picture.”

“Truer words have never been spoken.” Shining Armor spoke to her with an approving nod while approaching her with a crystal colored helmet and cone on his head and horn. “Well done. For you have demonstrated a strategic victory. Something that requires some patience that is very commendable if performed in the Royal Guard.”

“Well, patience sure is tough for someone who usually likes running in the fast lane. But I find it does pay off in the end if you give it a shot.“ Fuli shrugged while admitting that even if she isn’t the most patient of the Guard she does know how to think and act when it counts.

“It sure does.” Shining Armor agreed while putting on his crystal colored armor. “Now question is, do you have what it takes to compete with me?”

“Bring it.” Fuli accepted with a determined smirk ready for the challenge before they both went to the opposite ends to prepare for a jousting match.


Meanwhile, both Twilight and Spike are going as fast as they can up the stairs, but the process was taking much longer than they expected and they both were starting to get worn out from all the climbing.

“What if this is just more of his magic?” Spike wondered off the top of his head. “He makes a door that leads to your worst nightmare. Why not a staircase that goes on forever?”

Twilight then thought and then looked up towards the many stairs ahead of them and then came up with an idea to make getting there go faster.

“Hold on to me.” She told Spike while levitating him onto her back.

“Uh...” Spike wondered just when she levitates them up and then upside down on the underside of the staircase. Next thing he knows he is in for slide down and up towards the top.

“Oh yeah!” Twilight for the first time since running off the Cadance imposter cheered with an equally confident expression while sliding up the stairs.


Back at the Crystal Faire, Rarity is hard at work creating more crafted art projects for the crystal ponies to enjoy to the point she has run of weaving material. And the worst part about it is that the crystal ponies are starting to panic upon seeing more and more dark crystals being created around them. Also, more and more Crystal Ponies are gathering around Applejack and Ono even with the latter insisting that they can’t get a good at the Crystal Heart.

“Excuse me, pardon me...” Rarity said with a forced grin and nervous laugh before whispering to both the cowgirl and the egret with bad news on her mind. “I am running out of weaving materials for the traditional crafts booth! I just made a hat out of three pieces of hay and a drinking straw!” She gestured to said pony approaching the crowd. “I made it work. But still!”

“We gotta do everything we can to keep this thing goin'.” Ono reasoned with them while looking up at the balcony at those struggling to maintain the barrier. “The Princess isn't lookin' so good and Kyoga along with Karabi and Lite are starting to fade away. I can't imagine their magic is gonna last much longer.”

“It's gonna be fine.” Applejack reassured both of them. “These ponies are gonna power up that Crystal Heart when the time comes, and we won't be needin' her magic anyway.”

“I sure hope that time comes soon!” Pinkie expressed while juggling flugelhorns while balancing on a colorful ball.

“Me too!” Bunga also expressed doing the same thing along with Pinkie Pie. “Even I can't keep this party going forever!”

Just then they accidentally collided with each other and slipped of the balls they were balancing off of causing their flugelhorns to fly up and crash down into the ground with the inflatable balls bouncing into the statue which knocked the fake Crystal Heart off of the pedestal. From there the truth is out.

“Three…two…one…” Ono counted down with a defeated expression knowing they can’t keep the ruse up anymore.

“This isn't the Crystal Heart.” One of the crystal ponies correctly deduced.

“That’s because it’s not.” The egret confessed. “We didn’t want to worry you all and thought this would suffice until we learned the truth about it shortly afterwards.”

“But fear not.“ Rarity quickly assured everyone. “The real one is–“

“On its way!” Applejack quickly added while interrupting the unicorn who was trying to calm everyone down.

“I was going to say 'being polished' to buy us some more time?” Rarity whispered to the nervous chuckling farm pony.

“Well, not that it would have done much good.” Ono voiced they have already dug themselves into a hole already while the unicorn king sinister chuckling is heard from nearby causing every pony to start to panic.

“Crystal Heart...” He ominously voiced through the skies. “…will soon be mine.”


Meanwhile, Twilight is currently have the thrilling ride of her life sliding upwards towards the top of the castle with Spike hanging onto her tail.

“I actually studied gravity spells, thinking I need might this! Turns out I was prepared for this!” Twilight explained during the upside down slide. And after a few more twists and turns they finally were able to reach the bottom of the staircase or more accurately the top before Twilight returned gravity to normal.

Once they managed to recover and see things right side up they turned to their attention to the real deal in front of them, the real Crystal Heart floating over a bright blue colored circular center pedestal.

Twilight was pleased to have finally found it while she approached it. But before she could step on the pedestal just below the heart she suddenly froze herself in place with a sudden thought springing through her mind.

“No way would he make it so easy…” She said to herself. “…this is another trap. I can’t just step my way towards it.”

So with some careful movements of her magic she slowly and slowly moved the Crystal Heart away from the center towards her.

“Easy, easy…” She breathed while trying not get a single drop of sweat in the center almost there…Got it!”

She got the Crystal Heart now in her possession before securing it in her right hoof before making her way back to Spike.

“You did it, Twilight!” Spike exclaimed very excited she succeeded at her task. “You passed.”

“I did, but not yet.” Twilight reminded they still have to get to Princess Cadance and defeat King Sombra before making their way towards the exit. “Let’s go!” Twilight added before they quickly made their way out of the room through the window.

But by then King Sombra has already begun his attack on the Crystal Empire. Ponies down there are starting to panic and none of their friends can keep the ponies from panicking any longer. Time is dangerously thin now and that’s what had Twilight thinking of another plan to deal with this.

“Spike!” Twilight said to the baby dragon.

“Yes?” He returned before being handed the Crystal Heart. “What?”

“Take this! Get the Heart to Princess Cadance!” Twilight ordered.

“But…but…you have to be the one who brings the Heart to Princess Cadance!” Spike tried to point out. “If you don't, you'll fail Celestia's test!”

“King Sombra is already attacking the Empire. He could reach the Crystal Ponies at any moment.” Twilight explained. “There may not be enough time alone for us to get down there before he does any harm. You have to be the one to bring the Crystal Heart to the Faire. I’ll take care of King Sombra.”

“Me? You? But Twilight–“ Spike again protested.

“Go!” Twilight stated that her mind is set.

“But–“

“Goooo!”

Both Twilight and Spike went in opposite directions on their way out with Spike making his downwards with the dark crystals platforms Sombra had started setting up while Twilight made her way up towards the ceiling ready to prepare to engage against the evil unicorn for the fate of the Crystal Empire.

Meanwhile everyone else has regrouped with Princess Cadance along with Kion, Kyoga, Karabi, and Lite with some of the members of the Guard trying in vain to calm them down. At that point Cadance was already worn down to the point she can’t use anymore magic with Shining Armor there to embrace and support her. And not even Kyoga and her siblings magic can do anything to stop him now.

“Now, don't y'all worry your pretty, little Crystal heads! The real Crystal Heart will be here any second!” Applejack attempted to assure them with a forced smile and a wave of her hoof.

“I don't know if they believe you...” The fashionista whispered back in a hushed tone.

“Don't know if I believe me...” Applejack agreed.

“Me too.”

“I wouldn’t.”

“No wonder you stink at lying.”

Bunga, Fuli, and Kyoga remarked that it’s so very true while seeing that the unicorn king is making his way towards the castle or more specifically the Crystal Heart once he finally managed to spot Spike carrying it.

“He's back! I can't take it! Ugh!”

“King Sombra!”

Two of the crystal ponies shrieked upon finally seeing the evil and dastardly villain in the abyss of the black smoke.

“My crystal slaves...” The villainous shadow grinned upon seeing the many terrified ponies below.

Spike on the other hand is trying his hardest to dodge the oncoming dark crystals growing from nearly every surface on the castle and it is slowly eating away time in Sombra’s favor.

“Hey! Up here!” Spike shouted to everyone on the balcony.

“Spike?” Rarity asked in shock.

“Where’s Twilight?” Fuli asked in the same tone.

“I got the Crystal Heart!” He announced just when the unicorn king makes his move on the empire’s prized possession. “Twilight’s getting ready to buy us some time because now here he comes!” He further shouted upon seeing the unicorn locking eyes on him.

“That is mine!” King Sombra growled before sending dark crystals in his direction to trip him up and cause him to fall towards him.

“Spikey-wikey!” Rarity exclaimed now greatly worried now that he is facing doom against the advancing king who has now regained his full body.

He licked his lips with the Crystal Heart in full sight.

“Someone do something quick!” Ono alerted urgently.

“Find the light in the dark.” Astral Twilight’s voice spoke in her head to inspire her to finding that angle.

Kyoga after looking around and getting a glimpse of Twilight getting herself in position with a hoof up ready for her make the move that’ll help save everyone and remembering her words from the Tree of Harmony’s spirit she got an idea.

“All right, Shining Armor, when I give the signal I need you to get Cadance up there ready to fly Spike to safety.” Kyoga ordered.

“What?” Shining Armor still didn’t understand the angle she is going at.

“Just do it! We’re running out of time!” Kyoga insisted to him who got Cadance to open her eyes ready to launch her.

Fortunately, Cadance was able muster enough energy to open her eyes and spread out her wings ready to take action.

“Ready…” Kyoga raised a paw while fully concentrating on her magic while remembering the advice given to her and when she sees Twilight nodded from above. “…Now!”

Shining Armor throws his wife up towards the air at the same time Twilight leaped from the ceiling hurling down towards King Sombra.

Just when King Sombra was seconds away from obtaining the Crystal Heart, Princess Cadance swooped in and caught both Spike and the Heart with her magic.

“Huh?” Sombra grunted upon seeing this before hearing a whistle coming his way from a certain lavender-coated unicorn flying down towards him.

“Twilight?” Kion weakly spoke upon seeing her surprise appearance along with the others eyeing her entrance.

Before he could do anything about he is suddenly blasted in the face by the unicorn by one of the hottest spells she could conjure up. The force of the blast was powerful enough to knock King Sombra off of his hooves and was further knocked away when Kyoga sends a protection barrier ball right at him after using her magic to launch herself up into the sky at the same Twilight struck the king.

“Un-Bunga-veilable.” Bunga remarked very impressed with what had just happened with the two magic mages both landed on the nearby crystal platforms.

“Behold! The Crystal Princess!” One of the crystal ponies exclaimed in awe along with the many other ponies when Cadance flies down and crushes the fake heart with her hooves upon landing.

“The Crystal Heart has returned.” The princess declared to every pony. “Use the light and love within you to ensure that King Sombra does not.” She then placed the Heart into a small podium nearby its true resting place under two bright blue crystals from the floor and the ceiling.

Everyone who had their dull colors re-sparkled themselves with their glorious shining colors and then started tapping into the Crystal Heart’s powers by bowing to the very heart and unlocking the very light and love within themselves.

“What? No... No! Stop!” King Sombra defiantly demanded them to cease tapping into the Crystal Heart’s powers. “I’m the rightful king here! Bow to me!”

“No chance King Sombra!” Kyoga retorted back to the former tyrant. “Your reign of terror is officially over!”

“And as long as we have the magic of light, love, and friendship, you will never succeed.” Twilight added before she and Kyoga share a nod before the Heart’s power surge a bright blue blinding light across the Crystal Empire.

At that moment both Twilight and Kyoga both combined their magic together to right at the fallen unicorn king’s direction just when the heart’s powers utterly consumed with him a bright blue light. And all he could do in defeat was scream in defeat with glowing white eyes as he is destroyed and shattered by all of that magic combined.

The bright flashing light flowed through the empire giving everyone crystal coated appearances which really sparked Rarity’s delight with Fuli and Ono eye rolling in amusement with her childlike glee. With that surge of colorful magic flowing through the empire, Shining Armor and Kion both had the dark crystals from their horn and throat cleared out.


It spread all the way back to Canterlot where the other leaders are stationed inside the palace. Upon seeing that knowing that Twilight pulled through for everyone in the end with King Sombra defeated the two sisters both trade horns as they embrace together at the same time both Simba and Nala hug each other.

“She did it.” Simba softly said to his wife.

“The Crystal Empire is safe.” Nala also shared while nuzzling her husband.


Back at the Crystal Empire, both Twilight and Kyoga both teleport back over to the balcony at the same time Cadance flew down back towards the others with Spike in tow.

Both Twilight and Kyoga high-fived each other for their teamwork just when the former is greeted with a hug from both Cadance and her brother and along with Kion who was especially ecstatic that she made it out alive.

“Twilight!” Kion happily greeted. “Oh, I’m so glad you’re okay!”

Twilight was surprised by this gesture from both him and her brother before returning the hug in kind along with a warm smile while Kyoga was also greeted with a similarly heartwarming hug from her siblings too.

The crowd down below cheered for those on the balcony specifically Spike, Kyoga, Cadance, and Twilight for stopping what could have resulted in dark times for all of them.

Spike as much as he greatly enjoys the praise he is getting, he still felt bad for being the one to deliver the Crystal Heart instead of Twilight. Even though she explained her reasons why it had to be him and she along with Kyoga both helped the crystal ponies defeat King Sombra he still felt like he cost Twilight her exam but Twilight still embraced him for a job well done.

“Good job, Spike.” She softly whispered to him in relief now that they have come to everyone’s rescue once more.


With King Sombra gone, peace has been restored to the Crystal Empire with many of the ponies now conversing amongst one and another happily with their rejuvenated fur coats. The mission was completed, the heroes of the day won once more. Which means it is time for the Lion and Pony Guard to make their way home.

When they all left for the train station, the sparkling coats of fur was undone back to their normal colors which disappointed both Rarity and Bunga.

“Aww, man!” Bunga expressed. “I was just getting used to it.”

“Me too, darling. I do so wish it was permanent.” Rarity agreed with the honey badger. “Did you see how my mane just absolutely sparkled?”

“But... good things are better when they're a rarity.” Applejack assured her with a joke to which got a chuckle from the unicorn.

Even though everyone is now high in spirits with the day saved, all but one was not celebrating… and that sole hero down in spirits is Twilight. Even though she made the right call, she knew it was also against what she was instructed to do. Deep down she has still to come to terms with facing her after the last two times they saw each other, but she has also come to value her teachings and she was worried she might lose it.

“Everything's gonna be okay.” Her brother attempted to cheer her up. “Although you've gotta stop saving my rump like this. It's starting to get embarrassing.” He gave a light teasing grin but even that didn’t brighten her smile.

“But it wasn't me who saved you in the end. It was Spike.” Twilight pointed out.

“It's just a test. Maybe she'll let you retake it.” Shining Armor reassured. “Or at least explain to her why you did what you did and maybe she’ll understand and at least pass you.”

“I don't think she's gonna give me a new test or pass me.” Twilight still voiced thinking otherwise before walking off ahead towards the train station.

Cadance with a gesture of her wing urged him to say something else to help make her feel better to which he does by running up to her.

“Twilight…” He began while placing both of his hooves on her shoulders. “…I know this may not be the right time but I just want to let you know that no matter what you’ll always be my hero. The hero I have always known from the start and I hope you’ll come to forgive me and accept my apology for what happened back at the wedding.”

“Thanks.” She returned while accepting another hug from her brother to which Kion smiled upon seeing this before they both headed towards their ride home.


Upon returning to Canterlot, the first thing done is both Twilight and Kion having an audience with both Princess Celestia and King Simba while all of their friends are all anxiously waiting outside greatly worrying whether Twilight will pass or not. Furthermore, they can only hope the outcome of this along with their friendship with her will end in the favor.

Pinkie and Bunga were both biting their nails with Applejack and Beshte both sitting by their side to comfort them, Rainbow and Ono were both pacing around in flight with Fuli pacing around the ground, and Rarity was lying on her back with a hoof on her face like she has nearly fainted with Fluttershy sitting over her shoulder.

But their worries paled in comparison to Spike’s who was especially worried for her is her dragon companion and son-like figure Spike who is right in front of the door greatly hoping his greatest accomplishment isn’t his greatest regret with Kyoga standing in front of him for comfort.

“Keep it together, buddy... Gotta stay strong... for Twilight...” Spike breathed heavily with his nerves already on edge if being guilty for being the one to do the job instead of her.

“Surely it won’t be that way.” Kyoga attempted to assure with a paw on his shoulder to try to help calm him down.


Inside the castle, both Princess Celestia along with King Simba were both admiring the beautiful skies created from the surge of the Crystal Heart while Princess Luna and Queen Nala watch while standing behind both their sister and husband.

“It's beautiful.” The sun princess complimented.

“It sure is. Well done you two.” Simba complimented both leaders of the Guard who both got a good look at the newest glass-stained portrait of the outcome of the Crystal Empire’s victory over King Sombra. An image of Spike delivering the Crystal Heart to Princess Cadance with the Heart’s magic along with Twilight and Kyoga’s combo attack destroying King Sombra.

“Thanks, but I wish it had been me who ultimately made it so. But it wasn't.” Twilight glumly replied still unable to look at her mentor in the eye who still approaches her with a warm smile.

“Twilight, as I understand it, Spike brought Princess Cadance the Crystal Heart because you weren't sure how quickly you could find a way to escape the tower.” The sun princess responded while lowering her head to her student’s eye level who likewise looked at her in the eyes. “You weren't willing to risk the future of the citizens of the Crystal Empire in an effort to guarantee your own. Far better that I have a student who understands the meaning of self-sacrifice than one who only looks out for her own best interests.”

“Really…?” Twilight returned rather pleased with her response. “Does this mean...?” She hopefully asked.

“Yes, Twilight Sparkle.” Princess Celestia nodded. “You’ve passed.”

“Aww. Thank you!” Twilight returned with a very bright smile and a hug to her mentor by wrapping her body around her front hooves.

“You’re very welcome, my most faithful student.” Celestia returned by nuzzling her head on Twilight’s cheek to which both Luna and Nala smiled fondly at this heartwarming moment upon seeing that the Twilight they all know in love is coming back.

Once the two break apart, Twilight immediately races outside to tell the others the good news.

“Wow! I don’t think I ever seen her this happy since the present I got her for her birthday.” Kion was the first commented to see the now happy unicorn running ahead.

“Neither have I.” Celestia commented in agreement looking very pleased herself. “And I’m glad she’s back.”

“Me too.” Kion couldn’t agree more that the unicorn was feeling better after getting emotionally and physically scarred from the events of the wedding.

“Might want to go over and be there for her.” His father suggested while motioning his head towards Twilight’s direction. “She could really use the company of her best friend.”

“I will.” Kion nodded before racing after Twilight.


Back outside…

“She's totally gonna lose it!” Spike voiced out-loud still anxious and breathing heavily. “Keep it together, buddy... Gotta stay strong... for Twilight...!”

Suddenly, the door opened and to everyone’s delighted surprise they are greeted by the smiling unicorn who stated.

“I passed!”

Everyone cheered for her with Spike being the first to hug her upon hearing the good news along with seeing that Twilight is now in better spirits and now is open and friendly towards them all again.

“You were prepared to do your best

Had what it takes to pass the test

All those doubts you can dismiss

Turns out you were…”

Rarity began singing while approaching Twilight who humbly blushed in response to her compliment when she placed a hoof on her chin before leading her out.

“Prepared for this!”

Everyone minus Twilight sang together.

“You clearly have just what it takes.”

Applejack and Bunga sang together with the former placing a hoof around her back with the latter hopping onto her for a ride.

“To pass a test with such high stakes.”

Pinkie sang while walking on very tall balance beams before quickly falling over due to losing her balance.

“We knew for sure you would prevail.”

Fluttershy and Beshte sang together with the former floating beside her and the latter walking beside her.

“Since when does Twilight Sparkle ever fail?”

Rainbow sang while floating on a cloud.

“Never.”

“Right.”

“Like that’ll ever happen.”

Both Fuli, Ono, and Kyoga commented in agreement.

“All those doubts that you can dismiss

Trust yourself and you cannot miss.”

The whole Guard minus Twilight sang together

“Turns out you were…”

Applejack, Kion, Pinkie, Rarity, Bunga, and Ono all sang together with their hooves, paws and wings to their chests.

“Turns out I was…”

Twilight sang with her hoof to her chest.

“Turns out you were…”

The others sang together with hoofs, paws, and wings to their chests.

“Turns out I was…”

Twilight sang.

“Turns out you were…”

Rarity sang.

“Prepared for this!”

Everyone minus Twilight sang together before they all boarded their train home back to Ponyville along with the Pride Lands.

“Yeah, I knew everything was going to be fine.” Spike commented while sitting on Twilight‘s back with a sigh of relief before resting his head on her neck to which Twilight kindly placed a hoof on his head and scales in return.

“And right you are Spike, young savior of the Crystal Empire.” Scar is equally pleased as everyone else watching this from atop the highest tower of the Canterlot Castle. “Because thanks to you, everything went exactly as planned.” He sinisterly added while eyeing both Celestia and Luna eyeing each other preparing one of the special lessons the former has planned for her faithful student taking a special interest in the book in Luna’s magical possession.

“When she is ready we will set this plan in motion.” Celestia said to her sister who nodded in response.

“Will do, sister.” Her sister replied in agreement. “Since she has definitely proven she has moved one step closer to her destiny.”

“She has indeed hasn’t she?” Scar commented in agreement with their statement with a nod but he of course is not exactly thinking what they are thinking. “But funny about that is that destiny is not as always set in stone as you may think.”

He personally thought to the moment he braved into the frozen tundra’s in the northern borders of Equestria focusing his dark magic to reawaken a great evil buried deep underground. “For you see, there are some things you can’t always plan nor prepare for and by the time you realize it, it’ll be too late for you to do anything about it.” He added while recalling bringing back King Sombra’s spirit before teleporting away from the scene to allow things to unfold from there.

“Because things are not always what they seem upon first glance until you find yourself at their mercy.” Scar then added while focusing his magic on a current image focused on Twilight contently smiling while looking on towards the marvelous northern lights of the Crystal Empire along with both Ponyville and Canterlot from both directions in sight.

During the train ride home she managed to get a brief glimpse of the two alicorn sisters on the balcony watching their train head on towards Ponyville and felt unaffected when black smoke from her scar comes out of her eye again.

“Enjoy your victory for today Princess Celestia, because this is only the beginning and dawning of a new era to where the rightful ruler assumes the throne from both you and King Simba to lead both worlds in which lion and ponies come together in a great and glorious future.” Scar vowed before teleporting away in a flash unnoticed just when the sun sets with the nighttime sky and moon rising behind him just after he disappeared.

Author's Note:

In Part Two of the Season 3 opener, we have King Sombra slowly making his way towards the Crystal Castle even with extra magical assistance from the magical lion trio. With both Shining Armor and Kion both out of commission and the majority of the Guard having to keep the crowd busy, it is up to Twilight to find the real Crystal Heart before it is too late.

During which had her personally meeting with the lion who recently scarred her, who tried to convince once more to join him while reminding her of what happened back then. At least on the bright side she refused once more still knowing full well of why she now has her new scar in response to his attempts to sway her.

She comes through and with Kyoga's quick thinking they were both along with Princess Cadance and Spike were all able to save the Crystal Empire from the evil unicorn king along with finally coming to forgive everyone for what happened back at the wedding. With everything all patched up, things seem hopeful for Equestria and the Pride Land's future going forward.

But even so Scar, is still certain things will work out in his favor in the end, having a new plan in place set to be executed in due time.

In the meantime, next up is "Too Many Pinkie Pies." where our titular character comes across a magical source in town where she make copies of herself so she can be at multiple places at the same time while unwittingly causing havoc in Ponyville.