• Published 2nd Mar 2021
  • 6,451 Views, 193 Comments

I Am Anonymous - IWasAnonymous



After Jacob Irving runs away from his problems, he ends up falling through a portal and lands in Equestria. Now he plans to start a new life as Equestria's only resident human.

  • ...
34
 193
 6,451

Deployment: Crystal Empire PART 1

Chapter 12

It's been eight months since the events of the Summer Sun Festival. Surprisingly for 1st Lieutenant Anonymous, the excitement didn't end with the festival. As a reward for Anon's actions and selfless defense of Princess Celestia, Anon received the Distinguished Celestial Sun Medal. Anon didn't want the 25th Aurora Battalion to go without recognition for their actions. Princess Celestia gave them pay raises and ten days of leave to reward them. Corporal Glass Pane was awarded the Distinguished Royal Guardspony Medal, a silver medal of two blue and gold xiphoses crossing, for pursuing and killing the other.

After the spy incident, the 25th had a news article written about them in the Canterlot Times. It detailed their actions at the Summer Sun Festival. Despite the medals, pay raises, and news articles, there is one thing that Anon enjoyed the most. That was his restored friendship with Princess Celestia. Since that day, Anon has stopped eating dinner at the officer's mess hall and started eating with the princesses. He even started using his time off with Princess Celestia, trying to spend as much time with her as possible. Not long before the notorious tabloid companies noticed that Princess Celestia's newest companion was the Royal Guard, who saved her life—rumors of a romantic relationship budding soon spread throughout Canterlot. When Celestia discovered the tabloid's stories, she shut them down for spreading false information.

Today, Anon is eating breakfast in the officer's mess hall. He reads over an arrest report by the newly promoted Corporal Lumber Stack. He had arrested a noblepony couple for extortion and tax fraud. It was an excellent and clean arrest. The arrest was better because all the evidence was in the house. Since the couple was nobleponies, Princess Celestia oversaw the arrest. Anon guesses that Celestia's presence also contributed to the smoothness of the arrest.

As Anon finishes his coffee, a Royal Guard private walks over. The guard Anon a letter with his name written on it. When the guard walks away, Anon opens the letter. He automatically knows what it is. It is a letter from a secret admirer. For eight months, Anon has received letters from this secret admirer. The first one detailed why this pony admired him so much. His honorability, selflessness, and courage were some of the things that were mentioned in the first letter. As time went on, the letters became more intimate. The secret admirer said they liked how he looked in his armor and his "toned physique." They also mentioned they like Anon's personality and boldness. Soon after, the admirer sent a letter saying they had feelings for Anon. That made him uneasy because he was less willing to date anyone outside his species. This letter, however, is different. The admirer says they want to meet Anon and reveal themselves to him. Anon swallows hard. He becomes nervous. Yet, he is also intrigued by this request. Anon can't deny that he's been curious about who his mystery mare is. He tried having the handwriting analyzed, but no one could identify it. So, Anon accepted the mare's anonymity. Anon sees the date, the location, and the time the mare wants to meet him. The meeting is two weeks away at the train station at 11:00 am. As Anon usually did with these letters, he folds the notes into a small rectangle and tucks it into the clasp of his clipboard.

When lunchtime comes around, Anon eats his lunch in his office. He reads patrol reports as he munches on a ham sandwich. He enjoys the peace until someone knocks on his door. The door opens, and it's Anon's desk sergeant, Sergeant Major Silk Web. She is a mare in her 30s and was wounded in the changeling invasion of Canterlot, so she was taken off of active duty and placed on desk duty.

"Sorry to disturb you, 1st Lieutenant Anonymous, but Princess Celestia is here to see you," she says.

"Oh, send her in," Anon replies as he swallows his sandwich.

"Yes, sir."

The door closes for a moment until Princess Celestia reopens it. Anon and Celestia greet each other with a hug before they sit.

"So, how's your day going?" Celestia asks.

"Not too bad, to be honest. Sectors 1 and 2 have been quiet all morning. I sent 5th and 6th Aurora Companies on patrol in the upper mountainside region as a part of the new security protocols. That's also quiet. I ordered the 10th and 12th Aurora Companies to stay behind, and for the 9th company, I had to patrol the lower mountainside region. They'll alternate patrol routes in twenty minutes or so. I'll look over their reports when they finish."

"Sounds like a busy day."

"Not entirely. Most reports from Sectors 1 and 2 are just misdemeanor crimes. Everywhere else is nothing to speak about. A few teenagers were caught 'exploring' the lower regions a few times."

"What was their reason for being in a restricted area?"

"They didn't know the EAF restricted the region. Regarding excuses, it's pretty shitty, considering we have posted signs everywhere."

"You punished them, I presume?"

"Not severely. I figured being confronted by fully-armed Royal Guards and being arrested was punishment enough."

"I think the punishment wasn't too harsh considering the one you gave Diamond Tiara a while back."

Anon laughs. He remembers the horror on Diamond Tiara's face as she scrubbed Anon's floors in his home in Ponyville. Anon had intentionally let his house get filthy. Mainly, it was for his amusement.

For the next two hours, Princess Celestia and Anon reminisce over the past four years since Anon arrived in Equestria while he files patrol reports. Once he finishes this round of reports, Celestia invites Anon to take a walk around Canterlot with her for a breath of fresh air. Anon obliges Celestia's request and drops everything he does to join her.

They roam around the wealthy part of Canterlot (also known as Sectors 1 and 2) for a while. Eventually, they wander into a bookstore. Celestia browses the books about Equestria's history while Anon looks for Daring Do books. He had been reading the series on and off due to his duties in the Royal Guard. Anon finds the book he's looking for, Daring Do and the Search for Mjolnir. He pays for the book and waits for Princess Celestia to finish her book search at a coffee shop across the street. Eventually, Celestia walks out with the very first Daring Do book and joins Anon.

"I didn't think you were into Daring Do," Anon says.

"Just wanted to see what the fuss is about," she replies.

Anon chuckles, "A little late to the party, don't you think?"

"Well...I never got around to it, and one could say the same thing about you."

"Fair, but one might say that you've been around for centuries and had the time to read the books."

"I'd say that's a fair argument. Well played, Anon."

After reading over coffee, Anon and Princess Celestia return to Anon's office. He finishes up his report filing while Celestia reads some more. Anon finishes right around the time for the guard change. When Anon and Princess Celestia reach the Royal Guard Training Grounds, the 25th Aurora Battalion and the other Royal Guard battalions stationed in Canterlot are in formation, at attention, and facing a flagpole. A gentle breeze blows the Royal Guard Flag. Captain Tempest, two sergeants, and a corporal bugler stand at the base of the pole. Anon stands at attention in front of the 25th and faces the flag. Princess Celestia stands with Captain Tempest.

"DETAIL!!! ATTENTION!!!" Captain Tempest shouts.

Every soldier snaps to attention. Each stands looking at the flag; their eyes are filled with pride. The guards salute as the bugler plays the bugle call to end the day. The two sergeants lower the Royal Gaurd flag and replace it with the Lunar Guard flag. Once the flag is lowered and the bugler completes his call, the guards are dismissed to the mess hall, their barracks, or Flasks and Mugs. Anon and Celestia dine together in the Royal Dining Hall with Princess Luna. Anon thinks this is the end of the day and its spontaneity. Soon, he will be wrong.




Anon arrives back at the officer's barracks at around 8 am. He walks up the stairs to the second floor. The officer's barracks is a four-story building. The first floor houses the 2nd Lieutenants, the second-floor houses the 1st Lieutenant, the third has the captains, and the last has the commanders. Each floor has a large living area with several recliners, couches, and a kitchen. A separate but identical officer's barracks for the mares sit next to the stallion's officer's barracks... When Anon arrives in the living room, a few 1st Lieutenants are seated around a table, playing poker. They don't notice Anon walk in, and some captains go to his room.

The room Anon sleeps in isn't like the room he stayed in the castle while he was a handyman. It's much smaller and doesn't have all the expensive furnishing. His shield and spear are propped up nicely in the corner beside his desk. Anon removes his armor and places it on his armor stand near his bed. Lastly, he lays his sword belt next to his spear. Anon grabs his Daring Do book and lies on the couch in the living area.

"Hey, Anon," 1st Lieutenant Comet Flash says as he looks up from his cards.

"What's up, Comet," Anon replies, "How's the game going?"

"Fucking shitty."

"Why's that?"

"This son of a bitch likes to go all in, not even call, when he has the shittiest fucking hand," 1st Lieutenant Astral Storm laughs.

"Damn it, Comet. Keep blowing your money like that, and you will be single. Again," Anon says.

The table of officers erupts into laughter. Even Anon cracks up laughing at his joke. Since OCS, Comet Flash has had over seven marefriends. Now, he was on his eighth. All his ex-marefriends broke up with him due to his less-than-admirable gambling habits. He always ended up broke and losing marefriends. Most were decent mares from Sectors 3 and 4 (the middle-class sectors). The marefriend Comet has now is a noblepony's daughter. She is very good to him, and her family has become fond of him, too. Anypony, who knew Comet Flash, joked about his gambling habits, but deep down, they knew it was a bad problem.

"Hey, Anon, did you get a letter from HQ that looks like this?" 1st Lieutenant Thunder Hooves says as he holds up a yellow paper.

"I don't think so. Where was yours placed?" Anon replies.

"Mine was on my desk."

"Let me go look."

Anon returns to his room and finds an envelope on his desk. He opens it and finds a yellow piece of paper. At the very top, in big crimson letters, is written DEPLOYMENT NOTICE. Anon raises an eyebrow in interest. Below is a brief note. This is what it says:

Dear 1st Lieutenant Anonymous,

You have been selected for a six-month deployment to Royal Guard Base Gemstone in the Crystal Empire. The ship date for your deployment is on June 16 at 1100 hours. In the envelope is your ticket to your deployment location. Please do not lose it, or you will purchase a new one.

Yours truly,

Captain Tempest Shadow

Anon looks in the envelope and finds the train ticket. He places it in his desk drawer for safekeeping. Then, he returns to the living area.

"So, did you get one?" Thunder Hooves asks.

"Yeah, I did," he replies, "Who else go one?"

Two other 1st Lieutenants raised their hooves.

"I got deployed to RGB Sphinx in Somnambula," Lighting Strikes says.

"I'm going to RGB Apache," Star Buster announces.

"Where the fuck is that?" Anon asks.

"It's 10 kilometers south of Appleoosa."

"And I got deployed to RGB Woodlands near Vanhoover," Thunder Hooves says, "So, where are you going to, Anon?"

"I'm going to RGB Gemstone in the Crystal Empire."

The officers around the table are shocked. Anon notices this and is confused.

"What's the fucking matter with you guys?" Anon asks.

"Dude. RGB Gemstone is the best place to get deployed. Cozy rooms, an expensive mess hall, and a kickass training ground. Better yet, the Crystal Empire mares are fucking amazing. Maybe you'll get some tail, Anon," says a captain named Crimson Spear.

"Likely not, Crimson, but on the other hand, it looks like me and the 25th have something to look forward to."

"Hate to tell you this, Anon, but your battalion won't go with you," Lightning Strikes says.

The announcement takes Anon aback. He looks at his fellow 1st Lieutenants with a shock on his face. Nowhere in OCS was there any motion of deployments.

"Hold on a second. What are you talking about?" Anon asks.

"As you know, after you complete OCS, you receive your permanent station. Some officers are stationed in other countries. When they go on leave, an officer of the same rank will replace them for the extent of leave. Whoever is the 1st Lieutenant is at RGB Gemstone; you got selected to replace them for the time being," Comet explains.

"That makes sense. Regardless, I must let the 25th know I'll be leaving. What concerns me is who will replace me while I'm gone."

"You'll probably get a notice in your office tomorrow morning," Thunder Hooves says.

"Okay. Thanks for the information."

Anon lays back down on the couch and continues to read. He gets to the fifth chapter before he decides to go to bed. Anon takes a shower and writes in his journal before going to bed. It takes a while for Anon to fall asleep due to his racing mind about his upcoming deployment. He is leaving his troops behind makes him nervous, and it makes him very sad because they are like the enormous dysfunctional family that Anon never had.

The following day, Anon wakes up and goes through his morning routine. He swings by his office to see if the notice of who his replacement is there. An envelope is on his desk. Anon picks up his clipboard with the 25th's assignments and the envelope and heads to the training grounds. As usual, all 500 Royal Guards are standing at attention, waiting for their orders. Anon stands before his troops as he opens the envelope. Once the notice is out, he looks up at his troops.

"Good morning, everyone. Before I get to our assignments, I have an announcement. Yesterday, I received a notice of a six-month deployment. I will leave for Royal Guard Base Gemstone in the Crystal Empire on the 16th. While I'm away, another 1st Lieutenant will temporarily take my place. My replacement is the 1st Lieutenant Ice Cube. I expect everyone to show her the same respect you give me. Is everyone clear on that?" Anon announces.

"YES, SIR!!!" the guards reply.

"Good. Today's assignment is the same as yesterday's, except the 82nd Aurora Squad will escort General Thunder Bird's daughter around Canterlot. You will meet her at the train station at 0800 hours. Sergeant Long Bow, I'll give you a map of the route you are supposed to take. Do not deviate from it unless necessary. Other than that, dismissed."

The 25th break up into their squads while Anon gives Sergeant Long Bow the map. Then, he walks back to his office. When he arrives, Sergeant Major Silk Web salutes him. He salutes back as he walks into his office. Once he gets situated, Anon begins writing a letter to Ice Cube dealing with the duties of the 25th Aurora Battalion. Since the 25th patrols the wealthy sectors and restricted zones below Canterlot, the duties are more strenuous than most other battalions.

As Anon writes, his eyes glance at the secret admirer letter he received the day before. He stops writing and looks at it. Specifically, the date of the meeting. Anon realizes that the date is the same as his deployment date. In a panic, Anon takes another sheet of paper and writes his letter in a few minutes. Anon then finishes the letter to Ice Cube. Once he finishes writing, he puts the letters in separate envelopes.

"Hey, Sergeant Major Web, I will deliver some letters. I'll be back later. Have the patrol reports put on my desk," Anon says as he leaves his office.

"Of course, sir. What do I tell Princess Celestia when she comes to see you?" Sergeant Major Web replies as she smiles slyly.

Anon pauses as he slips on his helmet.

"Tell Princess Celestia she can wait in my office until I return."

"You know, sir, it's impolite to keep a mare waiting like that."

Anon pauses again and shakes his head.

"Just tell her she can wait in my office, Sergeant Major," Anon groans.

"Yes, sir."

Anon delivers the letter to 1st Lieutenant Ice Cube's desk sergeant. Then, he finds the Royal Guard, who gave him the secret admirer letter from the mystery mare. The guard had been delivering the letters to Anon for months. However, asking the said guard to deliver a letter to the secret admirer is awkward. The guard giving a sly grin didn't make things any easier, either. Then, Anon walks back to his office. When he arrives, Sergeant Major Silk Web has a smug grin, and she chuckles as Anon approaches.

"Something funny, Sergeant Major?" Anon asks flatly.

"Just your inexperience with mares, sir," she replies.

"Do me a favor and keep your amusement at my inexperience to yourself."

"No promises, sir, but I'll try."

Anon rolls his eyes as he opens the door. Princess Celestia is sitting in one of the chairs in front of his desk. She is reading the Daring Do book that she bought yesterday. Anon closes the door behind him and takes off his helmet.

"Morning, Tia," Anon greets.

"Good morning, Anon," Celestia says as she stands up.

She hugs Anon tightly, and then she nuzzles him. This makes his heart race. Anon is used to Celestia's tight hugs but being nuzzled is still a new concept. He knows that nuzzling is a big part of pony culture, but he still rarely experiences it. Celestia notices Anon's increased heart rate and releases him. She has a concerned look on her face.

"Is everything okay, Anon?" she asks.

"Yeah, I'm still not used to the nuzzling thing yet. I know and get that I should be used to it by now, but it is still something that I'm not sure I'm comfortable with."

"It's okay that you're still not sure. Take all the time you need, Anon."

"Thanks, Tia. So, what do I owe the pleasure of your visit?"

"I wanted to come to see you and see if you wanted to escort me around the 5th and 6th Sectors. It has been over there."

"First off, Tia. I have some patrol reports to look over and file. Secondly, those sectors are high-crime areas. For your safety, I would need to pull one of my squads to come with us so we don't get jumped by some street gang."

"Must I remind you that I'm one of Equestria's most powerful magic users, and you are one of the Royal Guards' most skilled soldiers? I think we'll be fine. Besides, I looked through your reports and filed them for you."

"Thanks for filing reports, but that being said, I want to avoid a fight as much as possible."

"Okay, then, as your princess and commander-in-chief, I command you to escort me through Sectors 5 and 6."

"Since that is a director order, I can't refuse. Let me put on my helmet. And Luna, please stop eavesdropping!"

There's a moment of silence before Princess Luna opens the door. An unamused look is on her face.

"How did you know I was standing outside the door," she asks.

"I saw you tailing me earlier. Honestly, you are getting rusty trying to sneak up on me."

"Perhaps I wasn't trying hard enough on purpose. I'll have you know that I've snuck on twenty minotaurs and killed them all during the Equestrian-Minotaur War."

"I've heard that story before because you've told me that one hundred times."

"Well, my mistake. On another note, I wish to accompany you and my sister to the 5th and 6th Sectors. The more, the merrier."

Anon looks to Princess Celestia to see if she wants her sister to accompany them. Celestia smiles and nods her head. So, the princesses and Anon leave his office and walk to the street of Canterlot.

A small part of Anon wants to be alone with Princess Celestia. He wants to have a one-on-one conversation about his upcoming deployment. However, he understands that the two sisters are close, so it's no surprise that Celestia wants her sister to tag along.

The three friends walk down the main road that runs through the center of Canterlot. When they arrive in Sector 5, Anon's hand drifts towards the hilt of his xiphos. When Anon was a 2nd Lieutenant, he guarded these sectors and led the 10th Aurora Company. The number of arrests that he and the 10th made was astronomical. Eventually, two other battalions were placed there to reduce the crime rate. The fallacy is that most ponies believe that Canterlot is perfect inside and out is laughable to those in poorer sectors. Most Lunar, Solar, and Royal Guards will tell the general public that isn't true.

When ponies approach the princesses, Anon stands between them and sticks his hand out.

"Hey, that's far enough!" Anon announces.

"It's okay, 1st Lieutenant. They aren't causing any harm," Princess Celestia says.

"Sorry, Your Highness. I'm just worried about your safety."

Anon backs off, but his hand is still on his hilt.

Dozens of ponies come out of their homes, alleys, and stores to come to meet the princesses. All of the ponies make Anon very nervous. One of the ponies could be a changeling sleeper assassin waiting months to kill one or both princesses. He tries to have the growing crowd stand a reasonable distance from the princesses, but it isn't any use. There is a point when a mare shoves Anon. Anon has half a mind to arrest her for assaulting a Royal Guard, but he changes his mind. He prays to the Virgin Mary that he receives backup soon because over three dozen ponies are too much for one Royal Guard to handle and keep an eye on. Then, 2nd Lieutenant Red Sun and six Royal Guards appear in a bright red flash. They form a semi-circle around the princesses and Anon, with their spears in the ready position. They begin shouting orders to back up. The ponies comply with the orders.

"You could have told me about escorting the princesses to this sector, sir," Red Sun snaps as she shoots an annoyed glare at Anon.

"I was ordered not to bring any additional guards," Anon responds defensively.

"By who?"

Anon points his thumb at the princesses in response. Red Sun's gaze relaxes.

"That makes sense. Now, your orders, sir?" Red Sun asks.

"I think you are asking the wrong pony, 2nd Lieutenant," Anon replies. "Your orders, Your Highness?"

"Three-by-two column formation. Formal escort to the westernmost side of Sector 6. My sister and I to see my subjects," Princess Celestia says.

"Roger that, Your Highness. Alright, guards, you heard her! Three-by-two-column formation! Move it!" Anon orders.

"Yes, sir!" the guards replied in unison.

The guards move into formation while Anon and Red Sun stand at the Princess's side.

Red Sun's horn glows when the small group moves forward, and Anon's shield and spear appear in a red flash. Anon slides the shield on his left arm. He lets the weight bring his arm down. Then, he grabs his spear.

"You should start carrying these around when you go out, sir," Red Sun says.

"I'll start doing that when you start carrying your spear. I'm sure that shaft grows fungus since it never leaves your quarters."

In a red flash, Red Sun's spear appears. She mouths "fuck you" and sticks out her tongue. Anon smirks as he marches forward.

"That's what I thought, 2nd Lieutenant," Anon says.




Anon sips his bourbon and tells the princesses a story about his life on Earth. They decided to go to a nice Italian-style restaurant in Sector 1 of Canterlot for dinner. It's been a while since he's told anyone about his life back home. The last time he talked about his family was before he joined the Royal Guard.

"Brandon and I got tired of those popular assholes treating Silas like garbage. Moving from Ireland wasn't easy, to begin with, so being picked on for being Irish made things worse for him. So, Brandon checked around and began talking to some connections of his. He tried to find anything we could use to get some dirt on these kids. He found out that the varsity cheer captain, Brittany, was having a party at her house while her parents were on vacation. I think it was their anniversary. Silas and I went to the party and waited about 400 feet from the house in a grove of trees. The party was an absolute rager. Booze, loud music, food, and PLENTY of people were there. To amuse ourselves, we counted the number of people in the house. Over 60 people were at the party. I pulled my cell phone out of my pocket, called the sheriff's office, and filed a noise complaint. Say the words teenagers are partying, underage drinking, and loud music to a sheriff's deputy in a noise complaint; they will get bent out of shape. Within ten minutes, six police officers show up. Several kids were arrested. It turns out that Brittny's older brother, Max, was there. He was the supplier of the booze. As you would think, he was arrested for serving alcohol to minors. It was the revenge plot of the century, and I enjoyed it."

"I must admit, I didn't take you as a petty person, friend Anonymous," Luna admits.

"We have a saying back home: If you fuck with one of us, you fuck with all of us," Anon responds.

"It seems like you had some comradery with your friends," Celestia says.

"Yeah. You become a family when you grow up together and do everything together. A dysfunctional family, one at best, but it's still a family. If you watch any branch of EAF, hell, even the Wondercolts, they act like a family. I heard a quote in a war movie once. The soldier said, 'We are family, Caleb, like it or not. We may not have the same mother, but we damn sure have the same fucking uncle."

Celestia looks at Anon with a confused expression, "Same uncle? I'm afraid I don't understand."

Anon explains the history of Uncle Sam. He also explains how he was used in patriotic and enlistment posters. Ano tries to draw what Uncle Sam looks like, but his drawing skills aren't exactly like Leonardo de Vinci's. The princesses are amazed at how a singular, fictional character can motivate thousands of people to join the military.

"So, any big plan for the next few weeks," Luna asks, trying to converse.

"I'm being deployed to the Crystal Empire in a couple of weeks," Anon responds.

Both of the princesses don't seem shocked at Anon's announcement. They knew of Anon's deployment but not how Anon had expected them to. Little did he know Princess Celestia had lied to him.

When Anon asked them about their lack of surprise, Princess Celestia said Captain Tempest had told them about it. Anon didn't think twice about it. He talks about the other deployment locations of the other 1st Lieutenants that he was friends with.

On the surface, Princess Celestia acts excited about Anon's first deployment as a Royal Guard. Deep down, she's disappointed. A few months, she got Anon back as a best friend. Now, he's leaving for a six-month-long deployment. Being around Anon gives Princess Celestia a sense of happiness that she's never had before. That feeling makes her heart race and makes her feel flustered. When Anon compliments her on something, Celestia blushes at his words. Despite all this, she must be strong and support Anon as he's deployed. She knows it won't be easy not seeing him every evening or having his constant companionship. Anon gives her something that nopony can give, not even her sister. That feeling is being in love.




The past two weeks have flown by for Anon. His upcoming deployment made everything he did everything he did, and the days seemed to go faster. Finally, the day has arrived. Anon goes through his morning routine as he usually does every morning. The last normal thing he did was address the 25th Aurora Battalion. He stands in front of all 500 of his troops and gives them an impassioned speech, telling them that he's enjoyed commanding them for almost two years and what an adventure it has been for him. Then, he introduces 1st Lieutenant Ice Cube, the 1st Lieutenant who will replace him. He squats down and shakes Ice Cube's hoof to signify respect and a symbolic power transfer. Then, Anon gives Ice Cube his clipboard so he can give that day's assignment. Once Ice Cube finishes, he dismisses the battalion. The Royal Guards of the 25th don't leave for their assignments immediately. They stay behind to bid Anon farewell and wish him luck on deployment. A few tears are shed, which makes Anon confused and slightly uncomfortable, but he allows it. He understands that ponies are emotionally attached to the people around them. So, he lets them say their goodbyes in their way.

Once all goodbyes were said, Anon returned to his room to gather the rest of the possessions he was taking with him to the Crystal Empire. He stuffs what he can into his backpack and ties his shield to it using some twine he bought. After that, Anon checks his desk for any more items he might need. He finds the secret admirer note that details the mares want to reveal herself to Anon. Anon had forgotten about the meeting. He shrugs his shoulders and puts the note in his backpack.

Anon lays on his bed and takes a short nap. He wakes up about an hour later and gathers his gear. Anon then bids farewell to the room that was his home since his promotion to 1st Lieutenant.

On his way to the station, Anon swings by Flasks and Mugs to say goodbye to Smooth Bourbon and Sweet Mimosa. They wish him good luck on his deployment. The two give Anon a big brown sack. It's a care package. In the sack are a few of Anon's favorite snacks and two bottles of his favorite bourbon. He thanks them for the gift and leaves the bar.

As Anon gets closer to the train station, he becomes more and more nervous. His hands are clammy, and sweaty is beginning to bead on his forehead. His stomach is also feeling queasy. Anon felt this nervous when it came to meeting someone new, especially had never someone of the gender. He removes his helmet to wipe off the sweat on his forehead. Then, he adjusts the sword on his belt to wear it hangs parallel to his leg. He does this only when he meets the princesses or one of his commanding officers, not a random citizen.

What the fuck is wrong with me? You are just meeting some random mare that has a crush on you. It's not like you are meeting one of the Generals of the EAF. Get yourself together, man.

When Anon arrives at the train station, he sees that the station is packed with ponies—more than usual. Anon partially has to push past ponies to get to the train. He stands next to one of the pillars close to the train. Then, he waits for the secret admirer. He checks the time on the clock that's above the ticket booth. It's 10:50 am, and the mare is nowhere to be found. Anon pulls out the letter and rereads it. He's at the correct spot, although he is a little early.

Anon waits for ten minutes before putting on his backpack. The conductor blows the whistle and announces a final boarding call. Anon knows he can't wait for long for the secret admirer. He waits for thirty seconds more before he steps towards the train. He assumes that the mare got cold hooves. Anon understands if that is the case and walks onto the train.

"ANONYMOUS!!" someone shouts.

Anon recognizes the voice. It's Princess Celestia.

He turns around. Princess Celestia is standing in the same spot the mare said she would be. The time on the clock is 11:00 am. Anon is stunned. His hand slowly drifts to his mouth to cover it. He can't believe it. He doesn't want to believe it. Princess Celestia is his secret admirer.

It all makes sense now. It explains why Princess Celestia always wants to spend time with him. It makes sense why she blushes every time Anon compliments her. It also explains why Princess Celestia wasn't surprised to hear about Anon's deployment. Captain Tempest didn't even tell her about it. The letter that Anon wrote to the secret admirer was given to Celestia.

Anon is so filled with shock that he can't move. He can see a look of concern on Celestia's face. His heart rate increases as he continues to maintain contact with eye contact with Princess Celestia. His queasy stomach is not doing him any favors. A flurry of thoughts and questions about his best friend having feelings for him is going through his mind. Anon's hand falls from his face. He walks to his assigned seat as the train begins to move. He sits down and looks out the window. Princess Celestia is still standing by the pillar that concerned look. Anon adverts her gaze and looks at his sandals.

Awkward. That's what he feels. Pure and untainted awkwardness. This feeling from Hell makes Anon wants to vomit. He hates this feeling with every ounce of his body. Anon knows what just happened, and the awkwardness will strain his relationship with Princess Celestia. All of this is making Anon confused and frustrated. He picks up one of his bourbon bottles and opens it. He takes a giant swig of his whiskey. Anon wipes his mouth with the back of his hand. Then, he leans back in his seat. He begins to ponder Celestia's feelings for him now since he has some alcohol in him.

How long has Tia liked me? Was it when I saved her life at the Summer Sun Festival? It makes sense, but come to think of it, the signs of her liking were around long before that. It sure as Hell explains why she was adamant about me not joining the Royal Guard. Hold on. There was that time she was spooning me when I was drunk. Holy shit! That was around three years ago. Has she liked me for that long? How have I not noticed the signs? Am I that oblivious, or did I notice the signs and just repressed them? Maybe that's it. Fucking, damn it! I thought I had grown out of it, Anon thinks.

Anon takes another big sip of his bourbon. As he is last in thought, he doesn't hear the conductor asking for his ticket. It takes the pegasus stallion three more tries before he gets Anon's attention. He taps on the shoulder, which brings Anon back to the real world.

"Oh, sorry, sir. Do you need something?" Anon says.

"Your ticket, sir," the stallion replies flatly.

"Sorry about that. I was lost in thought."

Anon reaches into his backpack and pulls out his ticket. The conductor puts the ticket in his mouth and into a ticket holder. Then, he leans back in his seat.

His mind is still in a state of turmoil about the whole situation. He starts thinking about his feelings about all of this.

On the one hand, he's honestly very flattered and honored that the Princess of the Sun has feelings for him. He couldn't help but feel a sense of pride and accomplishment at the thought of catching the attention of someone so highly esteemed in Equestria. He couldn't even pull the "unattractive" girls back home. Not even the nerdy, secretly freaky girls went after him.

On the other hand, he feels overwhelmed and uncertain about how to handle the situation. He cares about Celestia very much. She had a special place in his heart because she was the first pony to give a shit about him. Anon didn't want to do anything to compromise her position and reputation as a princess and him as a 1st Lieutenant. He also worries about his feelings for Celestia. Anon still doesn't know about dating outside his species. That mental block he put up in his mind three years ago still keeps him from even dating a pony. However, Celestia could be the exception. The level of love and kindness that she showed towards him is something she didn't show anyone else, not even her sister. They understood each other unlike anypony else, and their relationship wouldn't be much different if they dated. Despite all of that, she's still a pony.

Anon struggles to understand his emotions. he doesn't know how to him and isn't sure how to proceed. He realizes he must speak to a certain princess about all of this. Conveniently, he's going to the city-state of which that pony rules. So, Anon takes off his helmet. Then, he takes a nap to sleep off his nervousness and uncertainty.




A few hours later, Anon is awakened by the conductor. He snorts as the conductor shakes Anon awake.

"Excuse me, 1st Lieutenant. We will arrive in the Crystal Empire in five minutes."

"Thank you, sir," Anon says as he stretches. "How'd you know I'm a 1st Lieutenant."

"I was a Lunar Guard back in the day, so I recognized your rank insignia. I was a sergeant when I retired," the middle-aged conductor says.

"Thank you for your service, sir," Anon thanks as he puts on his helmet.

"You're welcome, and thank you for choosing to serve. I heard of a non-pony Royal Guard, but I never thought I'd have the opportunity to meet you."

"You're not the first pony to say that to me."

"I'd imagine so, 1st Lieutenant. I'd also imagine that some of those stuffy nobles in Canterlot weren't too happy about you becoming a commissioned officer."

"They weren't, but that was the entertaining part."

"Was it hard dealing with the discrimination from the Canterlot elite because you aren't a pony."

Anon understands where the conductor is coming from. Every day since the founding of the Lunar Guard, they faced heavy discrimination. Since the nobles believed the thestrals were nothing more than dirt, anypony who joined the Lunar Guard received the same amount of hate and persecution. What amazes Anon is that ponies who currently serve or have served in the Lunar Guard are not ashamed of their service. To them, it's a badge of honor and courage.

"Not really. It was more annoying than anything else. I think the Canterlot elite was to bully me out of the Royal Guard, but I stuck to my sword and marched forward with pride."

"Hell, yeah, brother."

Soon, the train pulls into the station. Anon gathers his things and prepares to disembark. He makes sure all of his gear is secured. Then, he looks down at the conductor.

"I guess this is where I get off. It was nice meeting you," Anon says.

"You, too."

"By the way, what's your name, Sergeant?"

"I'm Rolling Hills. Yours?"

"I am 1st Lieutenant Anonymous of the Royal Guard."

Anon stands up, snaps to attention, and salutes Rolling Hills. This surprises the conductor. A shocked expression is on his face. Then, Rolling Hills stands at attention and salutes back. Everypony else on the train car is confused at the spectacle but entertained at seeing an older soldier and a younger soldier show each other respect with a traditional military salute.

"Sergeant Rolling Hills of the Lunar Guard, dismissed," Anon says.

"Thank you, 1st Lieutenant Anonymous," he responds.

The doors to the train car open, and Anon turns around. He leaves the train car.

Anon is amazed at the station's beauty when he steps onto the train platform. It is wholly made of different crystals. It shimmers as the sun's rays shine down on it. Anon keeps walking, staring at the beauty of it all until he sees eight Crystal Imperial Guards standing at attention at the base of the platforms.

The first six guards have armor shaped similarly to the Solar and Royal Guards' armor, except the color scheme is different. The helmets and body armor are blue-grey. Their crests are cyan. The officer, a captain, has a bright pink crest. Each pony appears to be crystalline, except for the last one. The final guard is much different than the rest. He wears the same armor as a commissioned officer in the Royal Guard. The guard has a white body and blue hair. When Anon looks for rank insignia, there isn't one. This confuses Anon.

"You must be 1st Lieutenant Anonymous," the Royal Guard says.

"Yes, sir, that's me. With all due respect, who are you exactly?" Anon asks.

"Oh, where are my manners? I'm Princes Shining Armor of the Crystal Empire."

Anon's eyes widen. His face turns red from embarrassment. He snaps to attention and salutes Shining Armor.

"I'm so sorry, Your Majesty, I didn't recognize you," Anon apologizes.

Shining Armor waves his hoof dismissively. Anon can see that he has a smile on his face.

"At ease, Anonymous. It's okay. Since we've never met, you can get a pass for that."

Anon relaxes. "Thank you, sir."

"Since you are a friend of Princess Celestia's, I decided to welcome you personally to the Crystal Empire. Along with my bodyguard, of course. Let me show you to your room and then show you around. Captain, three-by-tow column."

"As you wish, Your Highness. Gentlemen, you heard him! Move it!"

The small group walks forward as Shining Armor leads them down the street.

Shining Armor rattles off facts about the Crystal Empire while Anon gazes at the crystalline buildings and ponies. The various colors of crystals are satisfying to Anon rather than overwhelming. He doesn't admit this out loud, but the Crystal Empire's multitude of colors is far better than Canterlot's standard white, gold, and purple colors. That's one of the most significant differences between this city-state and Canterlot.

Another big difference is the way the crystal ponies treat Anon. They don't look at him disgustingly and comment rudely about his appearance. The words "green monkey" or "ape creature" are not ever uttered. The ponies who walk past Anon welcome him to the Crystal Empire. Many even ask him his name. Of course, this is after they bow to Shining Armor.

Eventually, the small group arrives at the base of the enormous Crystal Castle. This confuses Anon because he doesn't see the Royal Guard barracks or the Equestrian Royal Embassy anywhere. He hasn't seen any of the Royal Guards stationed here.

"Your Highness, where are the barracks for the Royal Guard?" Anon asks.

"The barracks are about five blocks that way," Shining Armor points out.

"How come we aren't at the barracks?"

"My wife decided to have you sleep in the castle rather than the barracks."

"With all due respect towards your wife and you, sir, but I think it would be more appropriate for me to stay with the troops."

"It would, and I agree with you, but my wife insisted that you stay in the castle. I decided not to argue with her."

"Oh, okay. I guess I'm staying in the castle because I'm friends with Princess Celestia?"

"Yep. You are right."

"Por supuesto." (Of course) Anon mutters.

Shining Armor looks up at Anon.

"What did you say?" he asks.

"Nothing important, sir."

Shining Armor shrugs his shoulders and dismisses his bodyguard and the captain. They march away as Anon is shown to his room.

The inside of the castle is somewhat similar to the Canterlot Castle. There are relics, paintings, and artifacts in almost every hallway. Very few of them are made of crystal. Also, there are Imperial Guards at almost every entrance. These guards have a pale-purple crest instead of a cyan one. Their armor is the same as the bodyguards. Every guard salutes Shining Armor as he walks by. Some guards give Anon a strange look but quickly shrug it off. When they pass some maids, the mares give Shining Armor a deep bow. Then, they greet Anon and introduce themselves.

The maids at Canterlot Castle don't even acknowledge me when I'm around, Anon thinks.

Eventually, they arrive at the room where Anon will stay for six months. Anon opens the door and is amazed. The room looks almost exactly like the room Anon stayed in as a handyman. The only difference is the crystalline features of the room and its size, which the room is smaller.

The bed sheets are a deep blue, and the bed frame is made of pyrite. Anon chuckles at the attempt to make his bed with the colors of the Royal Guards. Anon walks into the bathroom. The bathroom is a lot larger than Anon is used to. It is fully stocked with the toiletries he will need for the rest of his deployment. Everything is made of crystal, like everything else in the castle and the empire.

Anon leaves the bathroom and checks out the rest of the room. A large tanzanite desk with a kerosene lamp faces a large window overlooking the city. Next to the door, there is a large dresser made of green quartz. Anon isn't sure he even needs it, considering he only has armor, spare tunics, and underwear. Next to the dresser is a large wooden armor stand for Anon's armor type.

"What do you think?" Shining Armor asks.

"To be honest with you, Your Highness, it's more than I deserve," Anon responds.

"I'm glad you like it. I'll leave you to finish unpacking your room. The liaison you'll work with during your deployment will come by your room around 6 pm to get you for a party my wife is throwing in your honor."

"A party? Why do I need a party?"

"I couldn't tell you, 1st Lieutenant. Either way, I look forward to seeing you at the party."

"Do I need to wear anything specific?"

"Your armor will be fine. There will be some high-ranking officers from our military there, so I'd shine up that armor and wear a clean tunic if I were you."

"Roger, that."

Shining Armor walks out of the bedroom and closes the door behind him.

Anon removes his helmet, chest plate, shin guards, and gauntlets and puts them on the armor stand. Then, he takes off his sword belt and baldric strap. Anon hangs it on the stand. He sighs as he enjoys the lack of weight on his body that he feels every night.

Anon begins unpacking his gear and organizing his room. He designates two of the eight drawers for his underwear and his tunics. His notebook and his writing utensils go to the desk. He puts his Smooth Bourbon and Sweet Mimosa care package on top of the dresser for safekeeping. Finally, Anon pulls out his oldest companion from his backpack. He looks down at Thunderclap with a content look. The last time Anon removed Thunderclap from his backpack was the day before Anon went to BootCamp. Anon puts his favorite stuffed animal underneath the bedsheets to hide his sentimental toy from his childhood.

Once everything is organized and squared away, Anon pulls a rag and a can of Equestrian steel polish from another compartment in his backpack. He sits on the floor as he polishes each of the golden and purple armor plates until each one shines like the crystals surrounding him. Then, he polishes his sword. After each piece is polished, Anon looks at the sun to see the time since there is no clock in his room. It's close to five o'clock in the evening. He goes to the bathroom to take a nice, long shower.

Anon steps into the shower and lets out a sigh of relief at the hot water. As he soaks, Anon can't help but contemplate his day.

The train ride had been long and bumpy, but the view of the oversized city-state was worth it. The sparkling buildings of the Crystal Empire are a sight to behold. Anon also thinks he had been given a private room in the Crystal Castle instead of the standard 12-foot-by-8-foot bedroom, with a twin-sized bed and small desk. He knows he doesn't deserve such luxurious accommodations but is nonetheless grateful for the treatment. However, the most significant thing on Anon's mind is the revelation that Princess Celestia has feelings for him, and he can't shake that thought from his mind. He can't believe that his best friend, the ruler of Equestria, would have feelings for a low-ranking commissioned officer like him. Anon still doesn't know what to do with this information, and it makes him feel both flattered and unsure.

Anon cleans himself and rinses the soap off. Then, he dries himself and puts on clean underwear and a tunic. He hangs up his towel and takes clean pair of underwear and a clean tunic. He hangs up his towel and takes his dirty clothes into his bedroom. Then, Anon puts on each piece of his gear, save for his helmet. He sits on the bed, waiting for the liaison to take him to the party. It isn't long before Anon hears a knock on his door. He walks over to the door and opens it. An earth pony Imperial Guard that wears cyan-crested armor stands in the doorway.

The guard is a pale yellow-bodied and silver-maned pegasus mare. On her shoulders are the 1st Lieutenant bars, reminiscent of the 1st Lieutenant bars of the US Army. She carries the same sword on her hip that the EAF carries, but it looks made of crystal-steel material.

"I assume you are the liaison?" Anon asks.

"Yes, sir," the mare says. "I'm 1st Lieutenant Silver Quartz."

"I am 1st Lieutenant Anonymous. It's a pleasure to meet you."

"Same here, sir. Let me show you to the ballroom. The guests are waiting."

"Alright, 1st Lieutenant Quartz. Lead the way."

Author's Note:

1st Lieutenant Anonymous has had his life turned upside down; six months leading a new battalion in another country, the high expectations from the Crystal Imperial Commissioned Officers, and dealing with the news that Princess Celestia has feelings for him. His new friends, Shining Armor and Cadence may help him through it.

I decided to break this chapter into two parts because it would be a bit long to write, so I guess it's that time.

Chapter 13: Deployment: Crystal Empire PART 2

(05/24/2023) Grammar edits made.