• Published 5th Feb 2021
  • 1,552 Views, 39 Comments

Swapping Scales For Suave - Jest



Spike is searching for the perfect ring, with the intention of finally popping the question to his long time girlfriend. Thank goodness Trixie knows of a place that carries totally not cursed rings worthy of a pony like Rarity.

  • ...
12
 39
 1,552

Chapter 22

“No, no no,” Rarity muttered, tearing down a hanging vase. “These are supposed to be roses, the carnations go further in the back.”

“Alright, alright, sheesh,” Rainbow Dash muttered. “Relax already.”

“I’ll relax when you listen to the simple instructions I laid out for you! This is My wedding rehearsal and I will not let anything ruin it,” Rarity bellowed, chest heaving.

Rainbow Dash sprinted away, leaving the angry dragon to glare daggers at her.

“Woah there girl. What's gotten into you?” Applejack asked.

“Its nothing,” Rarity barked, only to stop, breathe and repeat herself. “Its nothing.”

“Alright then. I think I’m gonna go give Spike a hoof lookin for that center peice thingy of yours. You sure your alright here?” Applejack pressed.

“I’m okay, just a bit of greed I think,” Rarity murmured. “I’ll be okay now. I promise.”

“Alright then. Try not to blow a gasket,” Applejack warned.

Rarity scoffed, and ran a hand over her scaled head. “I’ll be perfectly alright darling. Now go help my poor Spikey Wikey find that heart gem. It means ever so much to the both of us.”

“On it,” Applejack replied with a nod.

The farm pony trotted away, but stopped at the edge of the wedding area, her gaze lingering on the many decorations. It was beautiful, with vases hanging from the trees via ornate white ropes tied to the branches high above. Red flowers of several varieties dominated the area closest to the front, where an archway had been set up.

It was similarly decorated with more beautiful plants, the many budding flowers growing on the white slats of the arch. It followed the general theme of the wedding perfectly, complimenting the largely scarlet, purple, and white that could be seen everywhere. Everything from the table clothes, to the napkins were similarly color coded, and matched perfectly.

It was beautiful, to say the least, though still incomplete, with a few chairs having yet to be added to Spike’s side. Even the reception area was quickly coming together, with a number of ponies from town assembling the many folding tables. Volunteers were easy to come by, especially when word of the couple’s most recent act of generosity made the rounds.

All their friends were there, with hooves in motion, eager to assist Rarity and Spike with their big day. All save for Trixie, and Twilight. Oh sure the demure librarian had shown up, but she was currently staring back to town with a wistful expression on her face. The look made Applejack want to punch Trixie and comfort Twilight, but the farm pony did neither of those things.

Trotting away from the main group, she quickly found the pony she was looking for. Spike, still inhabiting Rarity’s body, was peering into the pig pen, a pensive look on his face.

“Ya find it?” Applejack offered.

“Not yet. I think it might be in the pig pen, but I’m trying to decide if it will be worth Rarity yelling at me,” Spike replied.

Applejack chuckled. “Yeah she was getting a bit bridezilla back there.”

“She’ll handle it. She’s helped me through enough of my greed moments over the years,” Spike replied, waving a dismissive hoof in the air.

“I suppose. You do have a might bit more experience when it comes to actually feelin those things though,” Applejack pointed out.

“And you know what would assuage her worries and help her get over the jitters?” Spike asked rehetoricly. “Finding the gem.”

“Yeah yeah. Now where did ya leave it anyway?” Applejack asked.

“It was supposed to be in one of those boxes along with the fine china but I found that it had been torn open,” Spike answered, gesturing to a pile of cardboard squares sitting nearby.

Walking over to it, and leaning down in front of one which had been chewed open, Applejack sighed. “Yup, thats Winona Junior,” Applejack declared. “I don't know what has gotten into that dog but she’s been hoarding every sparkling thing she can get her paws on.”

“Are ya sure your new dog isn't part dragon?” Spike asked with a smirk.

Applejack snorted. “At this point I wouldn't be surprised. Come on, I know most of her hiding spots. It shouldn't be hard to find out where shes got it stashed.”

“Lead the way,” Spike offered.


“Look, just stop fidgeting for a second,” Rarity demanded. “I need to put this pin on you.”

“But your making me nervous Rarity, and when I’m nervous I fidget,” Pinkie Pie exclaimed.

“Well hold still for just a little bit longer and… augh!” Rarity growled.

The dragon Gripped Pinkie Pie by the shoulder with a powerful clawed hand and held her in place. With her free hand, Rarity clipped the pin to the pony’s chest and released the hold she had on her friend.

“There,” Rarity declared. “Now you can run around all you want.”

“Well now I don't want to,” Pinkie Pie muttered.

Rarity sighed as she walked away, only to stop almost immediately. “No no no. Not like that, the chairs have to be further apart on Spike’s side. His dragon friends wont be able to sit comfortably if they are shoulder to shoulder like that.”

“What?” muttered Apple Bloom in confusion. “But this is how wide you said they should be.” she paused, pulled out a measuring tape and proved it. “See, three and a half inches.”

“Well I changed my mind. I thought the chairs were wider,” Rarity exclaimed.

“Well alright then. I’ll separate em a bit more,” Apple Bloom muttered.

“Good, and make it quick. The rehearsal is starting in an hour and everything must be set in place by then,” Rarity stated.

“Alright alright, sheesh,” Apple Bloom whispered to herself.

Rarity growled under her breathe, and stomped over to a nearby tree. Plucking a armload of decorations from the box sitting near the base of the plant, Rarity began arranging them. Vases were carefully slung from tree branches, and long streamers were strung between the trunks. She was about to move on to the next one when she heard the sound of arguing from nearby.

“Look I can handle it, okay? Just lemme go,” the distinct voice of Rainbow Dash declared.

“But Rainbow,” whined Fluttershy. “You don't need to rush. We have plenty of time and thats too many boxes.”

“The sooner we get this done the sooner we can get out of here now let… go!” Rainbow Dash demanded.

Rarity turned around to find that Rainbow Dash had piled her back high with boxes, each one of which was packed with brittle decorations. Ornaments intended to be hung from branches, candle holders to be lit once things started to get late. All that and more were sitting atop the perilous tower atop Rainbow Dash’s back.

Worse yet, she was trying to put another box atop the mountain, only Fluttershy was holding onto it. Rainbow Dash wasn't about to give up however, so the pair were tugging back and forth at the box with neither giving ground. As Rarity watched, the pillar of boxes wagggled this way and that, nearly falling over with every tug.

“Wait, don't move!” Rarity called.

“What?” Rainbow Dash asked, turning suddenly.

The quick movement was enough to send the entire mountain of boxes toppling to the ground. Rarity was faster still however, managing to catch almost all of them before they could break. One however, was not so lucky, and with a clunk, it landed atop the dragon’s head before falling to the ground.

Now lying belly first on the earth, Rarity breathed slowly, a vein in her forehead bulging visibly.

“Oh uh, hey Rares. Nice save there,” Rainbow Dash awkwardly complimented.

Rarity gently placed the boxes on the ground, stood up, dusted off her shoulders and then breathed deeply.


“There she is,” Applejack muttered.

Spike turned around to find Applejack’s butt sticking up from under the back porch of the apple family homestead. Crouching down beside the farm pony, Spike peered intently into the dark, searching for what Applejack had already located. Sure enough, there at the back was the furry face of a young puppy, her hoard of stolen treasures tucked under her tiny bulk.

Brown fur stuck straight up, the diminutive creature growling with all the might its impish form could muster. Spike was about to ask where Applejack had seen the gem, only to spot the thing near the back. Besmirched by mud, and a couple of teeth marks it was relatively undamaged, though it would require a thorough cleaning.

“Darn it. I can't get under there,” Applejack muttered, her hoof reaching out but not getting anywhere close to the defensive dog. “Come over here you varmint. You got plenty of toys inside.”

The dog merely growled, backing up until its butt hit the house.

“Just distract it. I’ll grab the gem with my magic,” Spike offered.

“Oh good. I thought for sure we’d have to get Apple Bloom to crawl under there again,” Applejack muttered.

“We should be fine. Just keep her attention for a minute,” Spike replied.

“On it,” Applejack declared.

The apple farmer then leaned down even further, a stick in her outstretched hoof.

“Come on Winona Junior, you did so good at your obedience lessons. What is going on here?” Applejack gently whispered, waving the stick around. “Have you been feeling left out or ignored, hmm?”

The coaxing distracted the puppy just enough for Spike to grab the gem with his magic. Then, before the furry critter even knew what was happening, her treasure was gone. Whisked away by Spike, who was now clutching the large heart shaped gem in his forelegs.

“Oh thank goodness. If I didn't come back with you Rarity would have killed me,” Spike murmured.

Winona Junior immediately went on the offensive, barking and sprinting at the thief who had plundered her spoils. Applejack was faster still however and scooped the puppy up into a tight hug before she had a chance to bite Spike’s ankle.

“Oop, there we go,” Applejack exclaimed, hoof rubbing the puppy’s back. “Now thats quite enough out of you missy. I didn't want to have to do this but I’m going to have to put you back inside until this is all over and done with.”

“Thanks Applejack,” Spike offered. “You really saved my bacon.”

“Just uh, don't tell tell anyone it was Winona Junior here. I don't want anyone to think shes a bad dog. Just a bit needy is all, ain't that right?” Applejack murmured, scritching the furry critter’s belly and causing it to forget completely why it had even been angry in the first place.

“Alright, we better get back now before-” Spike began.

He was interrupted by a loud, earth shaking roar.

“Oh no,” Spike muttered.

Applejack trotted back down the steps, the door closing behind her, sealing the sad puppy inside. “What was that?” Applejack asked.

“Greed growth. Something’s gone wrong,” Spike replied.

“Well we better get moving!” Applejack declared.

Spike nodded. “Right. Lets go.”


“This is my wedding!” Rarity bellowed.

The titanic dragon loomed over the entire area, her hulking frame eclipsing even the tallest of apple trees. Her spines had grown far longer, and she sported a tail nearly a block long. Not only was she enormous, easily larger then the apple family farm house, but flames constantly erupted from her nostrils.

“Mine, mine, mine!” she shouted.

Spike emerged from the treeline a moment later, immediately taking stock of the situation. Ponies cowered under the shade of the apple trees, save for Twilight, Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy. Who were all standing before the towering form of Rarity, each one shouting something they hoped would calm the dragon down. Unfortunately all the yelling did was further confuse and anger the enormous lizard.

“Tiny things need to fix chairs!” Rarity yelled, her voice so powerful that it nearly knocked all three of her friends off their hooves.

“Wait here,” Spike ordered.

He didn't look back to see if his command had been heeded however, and merely trotted right up to his fiance. Who didn't initially notice his approach, and continued to berate the three ponies standing before her.

“You not do nothing the whole time!” Rarity shouted at Twilight, before turning to Rainbow Dash. “You do things to fast and mess up.”

“I was just trying to-” Rainbow Dash tried to interject.

“Not good enough!” Rarity screamed. “These are not clouds, they are teeny tiny things that take time.”

“Err okay, so maybe you have a point there,” Rainbow Dash murmured.

“And you-” Rarity spun and pointed at Fluttershy.

“M-m-me?” Fluttershy murmured.

“You did good job. No complaints,” Rarity declared.

“Oh uh, thanks,” Fluttershy muttered to herself.

“But the rest of you messed up my wedding!” Rarity continued, pounding the ground with a fist. “You can't do that to my wedding!”

“Alright thats enough of that!” Spike interjected, stepping in front of the three other ponies. “Get down here right this instant young lady!”

Rarity blinked, staring quizzically down at the unicorn who was screaming up at her.

“I said now!” Spike screeched.

Rarity lurched downward, her belly hitting the ground a second before her jaw landed a few feet in front of Spike. Who was unbothered by the brief localized earthquake that threatened to knock him off his hooves. Once it was gone, he walked up to the dragon’s snout and stood straight up, nose raised high.

“Now I know I did not just hear you say this is your wedding,” Spike declared.

“Well I mean,” Rarity murmured.

“So what, am I not involved?” Spike pressed.

Rarity winced. “You are.”

“Then its our wedding,” Spike corrected.

“Its our wedding,” Rarity admitted, her body shrinking down by a good third.

“Good, but its also their wedding,” Spike added, gesturing to the other ponies.

“Where are you going with this, Spike?” Twilight whispered.

“Just trust me,” Spike shot back before standing tall once more. “Its our wedding, but its also in a small part theirs as well.”

Rarity growled. “How?” she demanded.

“You taught me that when someone puts a bit of their work into something, no matter how small that they deserve thanks for their contribution,” Spike explained. “And that by helping with something, it becomes in part, theirs.”

“But that for clothes,” Rarity replied.

“What is the difference?” Spike retorted, turning to Fluttershy. “Our dear friend Fluttershy has done a fine job decorating, and isn't that like adding accents to a dress?”

Before Rarity could reply, Spike trotted over to Apple Bloom and gripped the young mare by the shoulders. “And Apple Bloom’s help setting things up is a lot like doing the base stitching to put it all together. Twilight's plans are like the design, Applejack’s help is critical and is akin to cutting the cloth.”

“I guess,” Rarity rumbled, her body shrinking once more, nearly returning to its normal size.

Spike trotted up to the still towering dragon and ran a hoof across her cheek. “You’ve been stressed out, and dealing with a lot recently. New weird emotions, strange hormones, its okay to be a bit flustered.”

“But I got so…” Rarity growled, and flexed, imitating her larger self.

“Thats okay,” Spike whispered. “We all expected you to get a bit bridezilla, none of us thought it would be quite so literal though.”

A couple ponies chuckled while Rarity merely blushed and looked away, rapidly returning to her normal size. Spike was quick to pull her into a tight hug, whispering into the dragon’s ear.

“Do you remember when I spent all night crying and eating ice cream the other week?” Spike asked.

Rarity sniffed and nodded.

“All these new emotions, and weird hormones really got to me and I thought for sure that things were ruined but here we are,” Spike continued.

“Here we are,” Rarity echoed.

Spike planted a kiss on his lover’s cheek and took a step back, falling down onto his own four hooves. “Better?” he asked.

Rarity bobbed her head. “Better.”

“Good,” Spike declared.

“Well good, because now we are going to have to add cleanin up the orchard to the list of things to do,” Applejack interjected.

Rarity glanced back at the long strip of ground she had accidentally tore up during her greed growth.

“At least I didn't wreck any trees,” Rarity offered.

“Thats bout your only saving’s grace here missy,” Applejack muttered. “Whelp. Ain't no reason to stand here blowin hot air. We got work to do.”

“Oh um, thank you… everyone,” Rarity murmured. “You guys have done a great job, truly. I just… lost sight of it all.”

“We forgive you,” Twilight replied. “Isn't that right everyone?”

“Of course,” Fluttershy immediately added.

“Uh yeah, totally,” Rainbow Dash proclaimed.

Rarity sniffed, and pulled the three ponies into a tight hug. “You girls are the best. What would I ever do without you?”

“I don't know, but something tells me you’d sure be cryin a heck of a lot more,” Rainbow Dash proclaimed.

“Probably,” Rarity admitted.

Author's Note:

If you want to read the next updates for my biggest stories at the begining of the month rather at the end, or want to get a commission from me as well as access to patreon exclusive content, and the chance to submit story requests every month, head over to my patreon!

Join me over on patreon and get instant access to exclusive content and early looks at new stories, patreon only stories and other great stuff! Check it out!
Or just join the discord to ensure that you dont miss an update.

This update was made possible by the wonderful support of readers like you: Ech, Tailsic, Chrisb32, Nightwing, Tonoz, CoreyPeters, Thane, Renegade, Sunset Flash, Kyokimute, Monsterkittie, Louts Petals, Tacocat, Tom, MestreJ, Aang Slyver, Canary in the Coal Mine, Ceepert, Starless, Vi Watch, Facinus, M, Nfreak, Venerable Ro, Blade Tech, Cryil Shadeclaw, John Gonzales, Nightwing, Peter Coulthard, Srgtartman, Thane Kull, Victor, Dale, Dragons' Sheppard, Egery007, Gear change the earth pony, Ivar, James, Kali, Lich Lord Krosis, Menthol Qtip, Midnight Serenade, Mop Hop, Nathan Brown, Octavia Lowbar, Pacsik, Soundtea, Hannibal, Fiamgoku, Grub, Matias Duran, and Steven.