• Published 5th Feb 2021
  • 1,548 Views, 39 Comments

Swapping Scales For Suave - Jest



Spike is searching for the perfect ring, with the intention of finally popping the question to his long time girlfriend. Thank goodness Trixie knows of a place that carries totally not cursed rings worthy of a pony like Rarity.

  • ...
12
 39
 1,548

Chapter 2

Spike muttered a rather colorful curse under his breath as he peered out the window that looked over the driver pulling their carriage. His pace was slow, dignified, and held a calm even speed that likely took a lot of practice to get down properly. Normally this fact wouldn't bother the dragon, but the small black box in his chest pocket was beginning to burn a hole through his clothes.

“Oh I’m so excited,” Rarity exclaimed, touching the strip of cloth covering her eyes. “Is this blindfold truly necessary though darling?”

Spike nodded, then remembered that she couldn't see him. “Err yes. I thought it would be more romantic that way.”

“Well it certainly is quite romantic though I am remiss to lose out on a sunset carriage ride with you,” Rarity replied sweetly.

“Yes, well. If all goes well tonight then I foresee another such ride in our immediate future,” Spike stated, blushing slightly.

“If tonight goes well?” Rarity pressed. “Whatever do you mean darling?”

Spike gulped, and tugged at the collar of his shirt. “You know. In case you don't fall and hurt yourself or something.”

Rarity giggled, pressing a hoof gently against her lips. “Oh dear you can be such a worry wart sometimes. I swear it's like dating a scalier Twilight.”

“Well you know what they say about parents. They give you the good and the bad,” Spike exclaimed.

Rarity nodded. “Quite true darling. Quite true.”

Spike turned his head and peered back out the window. “Oh thank goodness,” he muttered.

Seeing his destination slowly coming closer, Spike nervously scanned the road for anything out of the ordinary. Everything seemed fine however, as the streets were relatively empty given that it was nearing Twilight by then. The various restaurants Spike could see, were at about half capacity for similar reasons, but this was also likely due to the fact that it was wednesday evening.

Not many folk went out at such a day or hour, but that was precisely why Spike and Rarity were there at that moment.

As the carriage began to slow, Spike nervously rubbed his hands on his pants, wiping away the sweat that threatened to make them clammy. When their ride stopped, he quickly stood, and reached down to take hold of Rarity’s less dominant hoof.

“May I guide you to our final destination?” he inquired as suavely as his nervous heart would allow.

Rarity giggled, and gently stood, allowing the dragon to do just that. “It would be my honor,” she replied.

Spike smiled, and opened the carriage door, hastily stepping out before leading his date out behind him. “Your payment is in the cab, as well as a tip,” Spike quickly whispered to the driver.

Who stood a little taller, and upon eying the small open bag of gold on the plush seat of his carriage, nodded slowly. “Best of luck to ya, youngin,” he announced before beginning to trot away.

“How does he…” Spike shook his head and turned back to Rarity. “My apologies dear. We have arrived, but before I remove your blindfold may I ask you a question?”

“But of course,” Rarity replied.

“Do you remember what today marks the event of?” Spike inquired.

The unicorn giggled excitedly. “Of course I do. It's our second anniversary.”

Spike barely stopped himself from giggling in excitement. “You are right. Which is why we have returned to our restaurant,” Spike declared.

Rarity gasped as her date removed her blindfold. “Burger queen! Ohoho that was quite the bait and switch you pulled.”

“I didn't want to make it too obvious where we were going,” Spike replied, only to blush and rub the back of his neck. “I thought it was fitting considering how on our first date I totally screwed up the reservation at that other place.”

Rarity giggled, and planted a brief kiss on the dragon’s cheek. “You brought me to your favorite restaurant and shared something special with me. It was lovely.”

Spike chuckled awkwardly, and tried to mutter a response only to fail.

Rarity merely smiled. “I don't think I need you to hold my hoof anymore. Though I am certainly not complaining.”

“How about we cut the difference then?” Spike offered before locking his arm with her foreleg.

Though the position was slightly awkward given Spike’s newfound height, with a little slouching he made it work. Plus it was worth it given the adorable blush which crossed his lover’s face.

“That is… acceptable,” Rarity remarked with a fake air of disinterest.

Spike extended an arm towards the door. “Shall we?”

Rarity nodded. “Après vous.”

Spike grinned, and strode forward, making sure to not walk too fast lest he accidentally leave Rarity behind. Opening the large glass entrance, he strode through into the small, old, and mostly empty fast food place with all the grace of a dancer entering a ball. Rarity matched his movements perfectly, with the unicorn holding her head high all the while.

Around them stood several tables, one of which was crowded with younger ponies who didn't pay them any mind. To their left sat three booths, one of which had nestled near the entrance to the kitchen, and had high walls on either side. In front of them stood the long counter, cash register, and behind that the glowing board of menu items that were hard to read due to having nearly faded away completely.

The slightly older unicorn sitting behind the till jumped up the second she laid eyes on the pair, a massive smile crossing her face. “Hey Small Fry, Scorch Mark, the love birds are back!” She yelled through the narrow opening separating the front of the store from the back.

Spike and Rarity merely smiled as they continued to gracefully stride up to the counter before finally separating.

“Good evening Sunny Smiles,” Rarity greated.

The yellow maned, and orange furred unicorn worker bowed, briefly lifting her paper hat as she did so. “Greetings to you, lady Rarity and Sir Spike,” she welcomed.

“How is the evening rush treating you?” Spike teased.

The mare stood, wincing slightly when her knees cracked. “Not the busiest but thankfully we get some hungry students and you guys to keep the two oafs from falling asleep on the job.”

“Hey!” shouted a green furred earth pony stallion who was poking his head through the opening.

“That only happened once!” added a brown maned pegasus stallion that peeked through a second later.

“I have no doubt that it was a well warranted rest,” Rarity offered.

“Oh don't go encouraging them,” remarked the till worker. “Now what would you like to order?”

“Hold on, aren't we going to at least get a twirl?” asked the earth pony worker.

“Twirl, twirl, twirl!” chanted the pegasus.

“Oh fine, if I must,” Rarity declared in mock indignation.

The unicorn gently spun in place, her long flowing purple dress subtly shifting shades as the light caught it at different angles. Upon completion, Rarity ran a hoof through her mane and with a sly flourish made it bounce into place.

The pegasus whistled while his partner clopped his hooves together. “Bravo, bravo!” They yelled.

“Now Spike!” demanded the earth pony only to blush and look down. “That is, if he wants to.”

The dragon chuckled. “It is good to know that you can recognize a good coat when you see one.”

“Come on, give ‘em a twirl darling,” Rarity encouraged.

Spike straightened his lapel. “If you insist dear.”

He too proceeded to turn in place and though he wasn't quite as showy as his partner, he still made sure to make his coat tails flutter briefly. Once back in place he straightened his stark white tie and ran a pair of clawed hands down his black suit jacket.

“He doesn't have a brother by chance does he?” asked Sunny Smiles who leaned over the counter. “Or maybe a single father or uncle?”

Rarity giggled. “I’m afraid they are all taken dear.”

The older mare cursed under her breath. “Just my luck,” she muttered.

Rarity smirked, and leaned closer. “Though he does have a rather dashing cousin that visits every once and a while. Perhaps next time we are in Canterlot we can swing by.”

“You’re a saint ya know that?” Sunny Smiles replied with a grin.

Rarity chuckled as she took a step back. “I wouldn't go that far.”

“Well I would,” offered Small Fry with a grin.

“You two are the highlight of the week around here,” added Scorch Mark.

Sunny Smiles thumped a hoof against the counter. “Alright, that's enough chin wagging. These two are on a date and are gonna need some grub.”

“Don't worry. I wont forget to go light on the mayo this time!” Announced Small Fry.

“Or to go heavy on the hot sauce!” Added Scorch Mark.

Spike grinned. “I don't know how you guys aren't busier.”

“Not everyone has your refined palate,” remarked Sunny, who shot the pair a wink. “Now then, what can I getcha?”

Rarity cleared her throat. “The usual, but make my sundae a medium.”

“Daring today,” Sunny exclaimed, turning to Spike. “Let me guess. A double flame broiled ruby burger with extra hot sauce?”

“You know me too well Sunny,” Spike stated with a smile.

The mare chuckled. “That will be twenty four bits please.”

Spike nodded, and reached within his coat. “Allow me dear.”

“Such a gentleman,” Rarity exclaimed.

After paying the mare and depositing his shrinking bag of gold back into his pocket, Spike extended an arm. “Care to join me at our table?” He offered.

Rarity batted her eyelashes at the male. “Why yes sir Spike.”

The dragon blushed and gently took the unicorn’s foreleg before trotting over to the booth closest to the kitchen’s entrance. There he carefully sat across from his partner, his bulk sinking into the familiar seat. After giving his butt one final wiggle, Spike smiled, and watched as Rarity tucked her dress out of the way.

“You know I was beginning to miss this,” he exclaimed.

“It has been a quite awhile hasn't it?” Rarity offered.

“Too long,” Spike replied, only for his smile to become strangely wistful. “You know. I wonder what would have happened had I actually gotten the date right and we had ended up at that other place.”

“I don't know,” Rarity murmured. “I think we may have found our way here eventually. The Golden Saucer is nice but can be a bit stuffy.”

“Not exactly the best first date experience huh?” Spike inquired.

“Most mares wouldn't agree with me, but I rather prefer a special place like this,” Rarity remarked.

“Well you are a very special mare,” Spike remarked with a smile.

“Oh Spike you old charmer,” Rarity exclaimed, batting her eyelashes at the dragon. “You know just what to say.”

“Most of the time,” Spike retorted with a self depreciating chuckle.

“In order to succeed one must try,” Rarity replied before clearing her throat. “Now tell me about this dragon summit thing you’ve got coming up. You’ve hardly uttered a peep about it since you first set things into motion all those months ago.”

Spike grinned. “Oh you are going to love this. I finally managed to get Ember to allow some of the friendlier dragons to set up a permanent town at the edge of their territory and I am going to be there for the grand opening festival.”

“Fascinating,” Rarity exclaimed. “But I’m confused as to why the dragon lord would be against this at all.”

Spike winced. “That area is populated mainly by earth ponies who used to be raided by some of the meaner dragons way back when, so there is some bad blood there. No deaths or anything like that mind you. It's just a bit of a sore spot and some dragons are against the very concept of trade or even a permanent settlement.”

“It is a bit of a leap for them,” Rarity added.

Spike nodded. “There have been plenty of dragons that immigrated to Equestria in addition to some of them having enclaves in several major cities but dragons having their own town? That apparently hasn't happened in centuries.”

“I hope I’m not interrupting anything too important,” exclaimed Sunny Smiles who stepped up to their table with a large platter held atop her hoof. “I also hope that I didn't just overhear some sort of state secret and now you need to wipe my brain or something.”

“Don't think of it as a brain wipe. Think of it like a simple cranial cleaning,” Spike replied with a smirk.

Rarity giggled. “That was delightfully dark, darling.”

“Quite,” added Sunny. “Though I don't suppose I could bribe you with food by chance.”

Spike grinned. “That just may work.”

“In that case, here you are,” Sunny Smiles declared before expertly placing their order before them.

“Mmm this looks wonderful,” Rarity exclaimed.

“And quick too,” Spike pointed out.

A second later the table was full and the older unicorn mare had the platter under her hoof.

“Now then. Is there anything else you need?” She asked.

“I don't think so. How about you Spikey Wikey?” Rarity inquired.

The dragon blushed and shook his head. “Were fine here Sunny. Thank you.”

“It was my pleasure,” Sunny declared before shooting Spike a knowing wink and slipping back into the kitchen.

Spike briefly wondered what that had been about, a hand unconsciously reaching for his breast pocket. The dragon stopped himself at the last moment however, and forced his arms to fall slack at his sides. There was no way she knew, and even if she did, the pony seemed to be wishing him luck, in her own way.

Kind of like the driver did. Spike thought. Is it that obvious?

“Is there something wrong, darling?” Rarity inquired.

Spike shook his head. “It's nothing. I was just thinking how they should really get them proper hats.”

“Those paper ones are quite dreadful aren't they,” Rarity muttered before dipping a fry into some ketchup and biting down on it.

Spike nodded and grabbed his burger. “So, I told you about what I have coming up. What is this secret project you’ve barely mentioned?”

“Oh it's only the opportunity of a lifetime,” Rarity gushed enthusiastically, as if she had been barely able to restrain herself until that very moment. “The Canterlot Symphony Orchestra is replacing their old dusty outfits and have asked moi to replace them.”

Spike chewed and swallowed his mouthful of food before responding. “That is quite the project though how many chances of a lifetime have you had already? Six, seven?”

“Oh har har,” Rarity mocked, pointing a fry at the dragon. “I’ll have you know that every chance to prove my designs on a larger scale is a chance of a lifetime.”

“I know what you mean,” Spike began. “I felt the same way about our date two years ago.”

Rarity blushed, and swallowed her food. “I must admit I wasn't sure if it was going to work out. You were so young, and there always seemed to be some calamity coming every few months like clockwork.”

“I’m not that much younger then you,” Spike remarked with a pout.

“I know darling, I know. I just can't help but imagine that Twilight is the same age as me, despite her actually being a few years older,” Rarity explained. “When she first arrived she was just so…”

“Naive, impressionable, antisocial?” Spike offered. “I can keep going you know.”

Rarity rolled her eyes. “You needn't bother. You know what I mean.”

“I do,” Spike declared, cleaning his claws on a napkin. “I’m glad we worked past that though.”

“Indeed,” Rarity muttered wistfully. “To think we’ve been living together for six months and haven't even fought yet.”

“What about-” Spike began only to be cut off by a glare.

“That whole business with the milk doesn't count,” Rarity declared.

Spike chuckled and raised his arms defensively. “Alright alright. Fair enough.”

Rarity huffed indignantly before taking a sip of her drink. “It really is something though.”

“What is?” Spike pressed.

“Us,” Rarity exclaimed. “During those first few months I couldn't imagine it lasting longer than a year. No offence darling but my head just wasn't there. I know I always talked about my prince charming but I didn't even know if that's what I truly wanted.”

“I know,” Spike declared firmly.

Rarity sighed. “Yet now I couldn't imagine this ever ending.”

Spike’s eyes went wide and his hand went to his jacket. “Speaking of which…”

Rarity blinked. “What are…”

The unicorn’s jaw hung open in shock as she watched her boyfriend leave the booth and get down on one knee.

“I feel the exact same way about you Rarity,” Spike began, his voice quivering briefly. “Ever since we returned here for our one year aniversery I knew I wanted to marry you. Now that I’ve found the perfect ring I knew it was time.”

“Spike I…” Rarity gasped, and fanned herself with a hoof, tears forming at the edge of her eyes.

“Rarity, would you marry me?” Spike asked, as he pulled out the box and opened it, revealing its contents.

Rarity’s already wide eyes grew wider still, her attention immediately going to the pair of sparkling rings now sitting before her. There was a moment, a single moment where Spike thought he saw hesitation in those large blue orbs. Yet it was gone in an instant, replaced by excitement the likes of which would put Pinkie Pie to shame.

“Of course I’ll marry you!” She shouted shortly before throwing herself at the dragon.

Who only just barely managed to catch her without falling over in the process. Their lips met a moment later, with both passionately leaning into one another. For a precious few seconds there was nothing but the joy they collectively shared, and the heat of the other’s presence.

Then, they parted and quickly realized that the whole staff was standing right there, as well as a curious few students who had wandered over from their table. This action seemed to have broken some unspoken rule for as one the other ponies let out a cheer.

“Congratulations!”

“I knew they would do it!”

“It's so romantic!”

Rarity smiled, and gently took a step away from her lover. “I can't believe you finally did it.”

“Finally?” Spike questioned.

Rarity scoffed. “I was ready to marry you a year ago.”

The dragon chuckled. “Better late than never right?”

“For you darling? I’d wait a thousand years,” Rarity exclaimed, the unicorn planting one final kiss on Spike’s lips.

The crowd dawed in unison, making Spike remember that they werent exactly alone. He was about to ask for some privacy only to realize that streamers now hung from the ceiling as well as a banner that said congratulations on it.

“What the…” Spike muttered.

“I had a sneaking feeling you were going to propose so I grabbed the birthday stuff while you two were eating,” Sunny Smiles explained.

“It's wonderful, thank you,” Rarity added.

Sunny Smiles blushed and rubbed the back of her neck. “It was nothing.”

“Put the ring on her Spike!” Shouted Burn Mark.

A couple other ponies yelled their agreement with this course of action.

“Alright alright. Sheesh, you’d think I was marrying you guys and not Rarity,” Spike muttered as he retreived the ring from its case before looking expectantly down at Rarity. “May I?”

“You may,” Rarity replied, bowing her head slightly.

Spike gently placed the ring at the base of his partner’s horn, and watched as it shrunk ever so slightly to fit. “How does it feel?” He inquired.

“Rather snug, but I think it should be fine,” Rarity replied, testing her magic by lifting her drink and taking a sip.

“Perfect,” Spike declared before reaching for the box.

“Ah ah ah,” Rarity interrupted, grabbing his hand. “Allow me darling.”

Spike blushed, and extended his hand. “Of course.”

Rarity wasted no time in levitating the ring onto his finger, which she then twisted so the stones were pointing upwards. It then grew ever so slightly before Rarity then set it at the base of Spike’s ring finger. Their eyes met, and for a moment they both felt an intense surge of happiness course through them.

A milestone had been crossed, a goal was achieved, and in their heart of hearts they knew that they both felt the same. A second, far stranger surge followed the first however, knocking them both back, and leaving both dragon and Unicorn dizzy. Then they collapsed as all feeling fled their bodies, only for the vertigo to return with a vengeance.

They were both dimly aware of ponies asking if they were okay, as well as a nervous fry cook sprinting to the back in search of a pair of ice packs. Spike and Rarity’s own confusion increased when one of them realized they were taller then they had been a second ago. While the other was far shorter, and was now kneeling for some reason.

As the stars began to clear from his vision, Spike realized that he was no longer looking down on Rarity, but rather up at himself. Rarity meanwhile was just as confused as her partner, mostly due to the fact that she was now standing on two legs. Both had gained, and lost appendages, as well as senses, while also being completely baffled in the process.

“What happened…” muttered the dragon, who immediately gasped in surprise and wrapped their hands around their mouth.

“Why are you in my body?” asked the unicorn.

“Me? Why are you in my body!” shrieked Rarity.

“Wait, what's going on here? Are they doing a bit?” asked one of the students.

“A bit? Do you think I would try to ruin one of the happiest days of my life like this?” yelled Rarity who raised her forearms into the air.

“Hey now. I’m sure this is all just a big, oof,” Spike muttered, the unicorn landing directly onto his face after trying to take a step. “Why are your legs so small?”

“Small? I’ll have you know I have a perfectly proportioned body!” Rarity yelled, jabbing a finger at her partner only to fall forward when she didn't correctly balance her weight.

“Just walk on your hands and feet,” Spike offered. “It's actually a fairly natural position.”

Rarity grumbled as she pushed herself up onto her new appendages. “Thank you darling now could you please explain what in the hay just happened?”

Spike coughed awkwardly. “The rings, they were supposed to let us feel how the other felt but I think something went wrong.”

“An emotional feedback spell shouldn't have done something like that,” remarked a young unicorn mare with a frizzy pink mane.

“Just give me a second to scan it and…” Rarity sighed, and ran a hand down her face. “Right. I don't have a horn anymore.”

“May I?” offered a unicorn stallion with a slim build and bright green eyes.

Rarity nodded. “Yes, and please hurry darling. I don't know how much of this I can take.”

The student closed his eyes and lit his horn. A second later and a soft purple light ran down the body switched being’s bodies.

“Well that solves that,” he remarked. “Your cursed.”

“Cursed?! How could I be cursed on the day of my engagement? This is terrible, this is horrible, this is the worst, possible, thing!” shrieked Rarity before she toppled to the floor like a puppet with their strings cut.

Spike sighed as he gazed down on the fainted Rarity. “Can someone help me hail a cab and get both Rarity and I into it? I have a jeweler to chew out,” he asked.

“Small Fry, grab some ice water for our guest,” Sunny Smiles barked. “Burn Mark. Package up their food. Something tells me our guest is going to be mighty hungry when they wake up.”

“Right!” yelled the staff before sprinting back into the kitchen.

Spike smiled. “Thank you Sunny.”

“Not a problem,” replied the mare. “Though I am curious as to what you plan to do.”

“It's not a matter of what I’m going to do, it's a matter of what I’m going to undue,” Spike replied grimly.

Author's Note:

If you want to read the next updates for my biggest stories at the begining of the month rather at the end, or want to get a commission from me as well as access to patreon exclusive content, and the chance to submit story requests every month, head over to my patreon!

Join me over on patreon and get instant access to exclusive content and early looks at new stories, patreon only stories and other great stuff! Check it out!
Or just join the discord to ensure that you dont miss an update.
This update was made possible by the wonderful support of readers like you: John, MestreJ, Starless, Gear Change, DioKyo, Tacocat598, Canary in The Coal Mine, Ceepert, Doomgoey, Tiwake, Vigilant Watch, Joshua, Nfreak, Facinus, M, John, Rhys, Corey, Blade Tech, Mephia, Peter, Apollyon, Nightwing, 浩民 簡, Hannibal, Dragon's Sheperd, BeenMcsqueen, Mop Hop, Dale, Xvos, Nathan, Octavia and Lowbar, Lich lord krosis, Prysm, Mike, Astor, Travis, Soundtea, Menthol Qtip, Craig, Mirvra, Ivar, Pacsik, Kali, Makani, Steven, Fiamgoku, free, GruB, Todd, Megatyrant.