• Published 5th Feb 2021
  • 2,492 Views, 139 Comments

Hostile History - Jest



Sunset Shimmer's is happy for the first time in a long time. She's accepted, has wonderful friends, and a life many would envy. Or is it all an illusion forced upon her by the very people she trusted? Only time will tell.

  • ...
21
 139
 2,492

Chapter 42

Rainbow Dash hummed to herself as she flicked from one radio station to the next while tapping her foot. Next to her, with her hands on the wheel of the truck, sat Fluttershy, the girl wearing a soft smile as she drove down the long dirt road. Though her gaze remained mostly in front of her, she couldn't help but look back at the pitch black car with the tinted windows that followed them.

She knew it was their protection detail, and that they were there to do their job, but it still unnerved her. To put off that uncomfortable sensation of being followed, she turned her attention briefly to their cargo. The load of part supplies was tied down firmly in the bed of the truck, as were the lengths of timber that had been requested. With nothing else to distract her, and a radio station having been settled on, Fluttershy cleared her throat.

“I’ve never heard this one before,” she offered.

The music had a lethargic beat, a prominent electric guitar, and a baritone male voice singing about freedom. It sounded like country music at first, but it was far too different being heavier and bordering on metal.

“Yeah apparently it's from a radio station a town over, that they really only get this far out,” Rainbow Dash explained. “Applejack loves it, and after being forced to listen to it so much I guess I agree.”

Fluttershy giggled. “I know how you feel. I never really liked ice cream but Rarity’s had me try all of these different kinds recently and it's actually pretty good.”

Rainbow Dash laughed right back. “Oh, that's so funny. I thought for sure that awful prank pulled on you in ninth grade would leave you unable to eat ice cream forever.”

“That was mean but…” Fluttershy’s frown disappeared and was replaced by a soft smile. “Its hard not like what Rarity likes.”

“Damn, she’s got you whipped already,” Rainbow Dash teased.

Fluttershy giggled. “I wouldn't say that. I’m the one usually holding the whip.”

Rainbow Dash blinked several times before Fluttershy’s stoic facade finally cracked and the girl began to chuckle. Causing Rainbow Dash to join her in laughter, the girl slapped her knee and shook her head.

“You really got me there!” Rainbow Dash exclaimed. “You’ve really gained a whole new level of confidence.”

“It's hard not to be confident when your dating the most beautiful woman in the world,” Fluttershy muttered wistfully.

The girl paused, slowed the truck down, and took a right turn, leaving behind the many fields of corn. Trading in the tall stalks of ripe green plants for hundreds of apple trees, the road quickly began to grow bumpy. The land was also far less flat, the orchard having been planted in an area that would have been impossible to grow traditional crops.

Though it was far from the perfectly straight rows of identical trees that stretched on in all directions, it was still beautiful. The fact that it sprouted up out of what had likely been a set of rocky hills and small valleys only made it even more stunning. Conversation stopped for several minutes as the pair simply looked on, admiring the numerous trees, some of whom occasionally loomed over the road. Only when they pulled around a small bend and could see a farmhouse in the distance did the sense of awe wear off.

“Ya know Applejack is actually quite the poet,” Rainbow Dash whispered conspiratorially.

“Really?” Fluttershy whispered back.

“Yeah, apparently when she was younger she used to love writing poems about them like this one that I remember,” Rainbow Dash cleared her throat. “Shining apples, round and bright, you are such a fall delight.”

Fluttershy smiled. “That's sweet.”

“She wrote a bunch of other ones, but they are all only a few what do you call them, stanzas? Long,” Rainbow Dash added.

“That reminds me of that one we read in class by something Frost. What was it called?” Fluttershy asked.

“After Apple Picking,” Rainbow Dash answered. “That's one of Applejack’s favorites.”

“Adorable,” Fluttershy muttered.

The pair paused once more as they emerged from the tree cover and saw the true breadth of the farm. Here, the trees gave way to one of the rare patches of mostly flat ground where the barn, and shed sat off to the left. In the center, upon a slight hill, sat the farmhouse, stoic, and ancient, looking out over its domain imperiously.

While the various vehicles, both visiting, and who called this small farm home, sat next to the large red barn, the other side was barren. Or at least it would be most of the time, for now, next to the gravel road, there waited a stage, half built with pieces missing. Chairs were arranged, decorations hung, though eye-catching, it was all unfinished, waiting to be completed.

By those who stood nearby, gathered into a group, and watched as the truck rattled up to them. Garbed in jeans, shorts, and shirts that no one cared about overmuch, the four girls were ready for work. Fluttershy drove carefully around them before backing up so the end of the vehicle was close to the stage.

Once that was done, she shifted gears, pulled the keys halfway out of the ignition, and suddenly erupted with laughter upon looking at Rainbow Dash. The other girl blinked incredulously and began touching her face while looking into the mirror found on the back of the sun shade.

“What, did I spill milkshake all over myself again?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“No, no it's nothing,” Fluttershy exclaimed. “I just suddenly remembered my parent's shock at hearing that I was dating Rarity.”

Rainbow Dash flicked the shade back up and eyed the other girl curiously. “What do you mean?”

“Well they always knew that I wasn't exactly normal in that regard, but they just assumed that I would end up dating you,” Fluttershy replied.

Rainbow Dash looked confused for a moment only to burst out laughing a moment later. “Oh that's rich!” she exclaimed.

“I know right?” Fluttershy added.

“Parents. I love ‘em to pieces but sometimes they can be as dense as what Twilight always say, a neutron star?” Rainbow Dash asked.

Fluttershy nodded.

“Yeah. To think they would have assumed that. I mean I like you but like a sister. I grew up with you for crying out loud,” Rainbow Dash declared. “I would sooner go out with your brother.”

“Hey, he's gotten better,” Fluttershy countered.

Rainbow Dash merely looked at the other girl and rose an eyebrow.

Fluttershy held on for several seconds before sighing. “Okay, so maybe he's exactly the same only now he knows how to cut hair.”

The pair finally exited the vehicle and stepped outside, where they were quickly met by the rest of their friends, sans Sunset.

“Hey, there you guys are. We were startin’ to worry,” Applejack exclaimed.

“We stopped to get milkshakes on the way,” Fluttershy offered.

“Ooooh, that sounds great. We should get some when we go back tonight,” Pinkie Pie declared.

“I agree,” Twilight remarked.

“Well either way we better get movin’ on these finishing touches,” Applejack stated. “The ceremony dealy is tomorrow and we are already too far behind cus ‘a them darn raccoons.”

“Don't worry, Pinkie Pie and I are on it,” Twilight replied.

“Be careful with them and if you need help just ask,” Fluttershy added.

“We’ll be fine. You just go make sure that cougar Big Macintosh saw the other night ain't still lurking around here,” Pinkie Pie retorted.

“And while you are all doing that, Applejack and I will handle the stage,” Rarity added.

Applejack nodded. “Right. I think everyone knows what we're doing now so let's get moving.”

“Heck yeah party people, let's do this!” Pinkie Pie proclaimed.

The group dispersed, with Applejack and Rarity walking over to the back of the truck together. The farmer pulled down the tailgate and hopped inside, causing the vehicle to shake briefly before settling. She then reached down and picked up a bundle of the boards, slinging them over one shoulder before going back for another.

“Oh please darling, allow me to help,” Rarity offered.

“Oh don't you worry about it. These are as light as a feather and-” Applejack stopped.

The farm girl watched as a slide appeared in thin air, one that started next to Applejack and ended on the stage. Made from Rarity’s powers, the slide glittered in the light and was smoother than polished crystal.

“Well, I’ll be. I didn't know you could do that,” Applejack muttered.

“My teacher may be rather cold to most, but incompetence is not one of her faults,” Rarity replied, gesturing to the slide. “Please, go ahead.”

Applejack nodded, and dropped a few of the boards into the slide, watching as they slid right into place. The magical shield then twisted, until it ended at the next unfinished segment of the stage. There, a few more were dropped, and the entire process began again, repeating until all the wood was deposited.

“That wouldn't have taken long either way but this sure was convenient,” Applejack declared.

Rarity nodded and offered a hand. “I’ve begun to learn many interesting applications for my abilities over this last week or so. I must say I never would have imagined that I could do so much.”

“At least one of us is getting to learn new stuff,” Applejack muttered.

The farm girl took the offered hand and used it as leverage to hop down from the back of the truck. Landing with a thump, Applejack paused just long enough to grab the box of nails that sat tucked in a corner. She then produced a hammer from one of her deep jean pockets and began to walk over to the stage.

Rarity was quick on the other girl’s heels, a concerned expression on her face. “What do you mean, darling?” Rarity pressed. “Are you not being taught by your teacher?”

“Oh, I’m bein’ taught alright. How to punch real hard and punch a whole buncha times,” Applejack retorted. “I swear, all that guy does is watch me, and drink tea.”

“Surely he is working up to something,” Rarity pushed. “I wouldn't think Perfect Tempo would allow you two to work together if your teacher was such a bad fit.”

Applejack grunted, and lifted the edge of the stage, hoisting the entire thing into the air a few inches and allowing her to reach under it. Removing the broken board beneath, Applejack tossed it gently aside before lowering the entire thing back to the ground.

“Don't get me wrong, he says he's working up to something but I’m starting to think that's a load of hogwash,” Applejack explained between thuds of her hammer. “He says I’m scared of my own strength, and that he can't really teach me anything until I finally stop holding back.”

“Are you?” Rarity asked, extending a hand and offering a nail. “Holding back that is.”

Applejack took the slim spike of metal and snorted. “Course I ain't. He tells me not to hold back, I ain't gonna hold back. Simple as that.”

“Maybe it's a subconscious thing,” Rarity offered.

Applejack frowned, staring at the wood as she pounded the last few nails into place. Once the board was done, and they were moving on to the next one, Applejack cleared her throat.

“I don't think so,” Applejack declared. “I have always been proud of how strong I was. Even back before I didn't have no magic whatsits helpin’ me out.”

“I’m not saying you aren't proud, but maybe you hold back out of some desire to spare your enemy, or perhaps you’re scared of hurting someone,” Rarity offered.

“Course I’m scared a hurtin’ folk,” Applejack remarked. “I ain't met many people that really deserved to wind up with their legs broke or heaven forbid, dead.”

“Except Foxtrot,” Rarity pointed out.

Applejack nodded. “‘Cept Foxtrot.”

The farm girl cursed, and stood upright, staring down at a cock eyed board that stuck out from the others. “Gosh darn it,” Applejack cursed. “Apple Bloom musta been tryin’ to help again and I don't have a screwdriver to unscrew it. Gimme a second here Rares.”

“No need. What kind is it?” Rarity replied.

Applejack hummed, narrowing her gaze. “Looks like a Phillips.”

Rarity raised her hand, focused, and created a diamond screwdriver. “There you are darling,” Rarity offered, extending her hand.

Applejack took one look, snatched it up, and rolled it around on her palm. “Not half bad. The weight feels weird and you seem to be a bit drained but that's a heck of a thing Rares.”

“It's nothing,” Rarity replied, subtly wiping her head of sweat.

Applejack knelt down and began the slow, arduous process of removing each one of the screws.

“So, like I was saying,” she began. “I think if this keeps up anymore I might just ask Perfect to find me a karate teacher or something. I’m stronger than ever, but I still don't know how to fight. Not really anyway.”

“Don't you think your teacher could do that for you?” Rarity pressed. “He seemed quite the skilled fellow himself.”

Applejack sighed. “I guess I should give him another shot. Still, if I go another month just punching rocks, and destroying dummies I’m giving up.”

“I’m sure you’ll do wonderfully darling,” Rarity exclaimed.

Applejack pulled the board out, turned it slightly, and began hammering it back into place, leaving Rarity’s screwdriver aside. The moment it was dropped atop the stage, the conjured tool vanished in a shimmering puff of diamond smoke. With it gone, Rarity seemed relieved and breathed a little easier.

“Well then, it shouldn't be that much longer,” Rarity offered.

“Nope, just gotta… wait a sec,” Applejack paused just as she reached for another nail. “Hey! What are you doing with that flash bang? You wanna start a fire or something?”

In the distance, Pinkie Pie winced and cupped her hands around her mouth. “Sorry Applejack! This guy is really slippery!’

Applejack shook her head and knelt back down.

“So I guess that plan is out,” Twilight muttered.

“I’m amazed you okayed it in the first place,” Pinkie Pie exclaimed.

Twilight threw up her hands. “I’m desperate okay? Every time we think we’ve got him he just slips through our fingers like a tiny ninja!”

Pinkie Pie giggled. “That's so funny. I wonder if he really is a ninja? Do you think Fluttershy has been training him in secret to sabotage the ceremony?”

“Now that's just ridiculous,” Twilight declared, only to pause, and stroke her chin. “Though Foxtrot might just be crazy enough to do something like that.”

“Nah, he seems like the type to stick to the old adage of not working with children or animals,” Pinkie Pie retorted.

Twilight chuckled. “True, though I’d bet-”

A sudden flurry of motion caught the pair off guard, and they spun around to see a dark shape run out of the tree. It then darted across the row of trees and vanished deeper into the orchard.

“Quick, after it!” Twilight called.

Together the duo ran in the direction of the furry menace, running as fast as their feet could carry them. Pinkie Pie, naturally, was out front and was able to catch up enough that she could actually follow the thing. Twilight, on the other hand, could barely keep Pinkie Pie in view, with her only saving grace being how bright the girl’s hair was.

After several minutes, and every last bit of endurance Twilight had to her name, she stopped in front of a dead tree. Pinkie Pie stood nearby, staring into the hole that lay just barely above the top of her head. While the party girl jumped up and down, trying to locate their missing target, Twilight stood there, chest heaving as she tried to catch her breath.

“Is it still,” Twilight paused to take another breath. “There?”

“I think it goes down a little bit. I can see the top of his furry little head but that's it,” Pinkie Pie replied.

Twilight pushed herself up, following Pinkie Pie’s gaze to the hole in the tree. “Should we get a ladder or something?”

“Nah,” Pinkie Pie quickly dismissed. “Let's just wait for him to try and make a break for it.”

“And pay attention this time,” Twilight exclaimed.

Pinkie Pie nodded. “Yupper doodle.”

Twilight stood there for several long seconds of quiet before sighing.

“I really hope this is all the trouble we have to deal with,” Twilight muttered.

“Oh most definitely not,” Pinkie Pie exclaimed. “We are one hundred percent going to get attacked by that nutjob and his army of psychos.”

“What, Pinkie! How do you know that?” Twilight demanded.

Pinkie Pie shrugged. “Dunno, just do.”

“Have you told anyone?” Twilight asked.

Pinkie Pie turned and eyed the other girl like she had grown a second head. “Why would I do that?” Pinkie Pie stated incredulously. “Everyone already knows it's going to happen.”

“I mean… is it really?” Twilight half asked, half pleaded.

“Yeah, pretty much,” Pinkie Pie exclaimed with a shrug, turning back to the tree. “Think about it Twilight. We are all gathered somewhere far from the city, together, with minimal chance for collateral damage.”

“But he might not know, Perfect Tempo said he was covering our tracks,” Twilight pressed.

“We’re some of the most easily recognizable people around. No matter how much cover we are given Foxtrot will know about this event. There are simply too many people coming here for nothing to get out,” Pinkie Pie replied. “Anymore then like, ten people involved in any conspiracy is doomed for something to get out, never mind everyone in on this little secret.”

Twilight sighed and looked back up at the tree. “I guess there was a part of me that already knew that, but I can't help but hope you know. Like this is going to be the last normal thing we’ll ever do.”

“We adapted to a new normal when we got powers, we’ll just do it again,” Pinkie Pie stated with a shrug of her shoulders. “I think that you’re thinking about it too much.”

“Probably,” Twilight muttered.

Pinkie Pie giggled suddenly, a hand going to her lips.

Twilight cast her companion a quick sidelong glance. “What?”

“Oh nothing, I just thought it was funny that you thought it was normal to have magical powers, turn into horse people, and fight monsters,” Pinkie Pie exclaimed. “But the chance of actually getting hurt was where you drew the line.”

Twilight thought about it for a moment before chuckling to herself. “That is kinda funny.”

“I mean don't get me wrong, you are kinda right,” Pinkie Pie offered. “Getting powers felt natural, going on adventures felt normal, but when Foxtrot happened everything changed.”

“Like we went from a PG thirteen film to one rated R. I think I heard you say that before,” Twilight exclaimed.

Pinkie Pie snapped her fingers. “Exactly! Things got darker and hey they’ll probably get darker still. I mean Celestia is apparently up to something, as is Foxtrot and whoever is helping him.”

“Do you think… do you think we’ll ever be able to stop fighting?” Twilight asked.

Pinkie Pie shrugged. “Life’s a fight, Sunny. Ours is just a bit harder. Buuuut I wouldn't worry about tomorrow or the ceremony.”

“Why is that?” Twilight pressed.

“Well, you trust Sunset, right?” Pinkie Pie inquired.

“Of course,” Twilight replied in a heartbeat.

“And she’s taking care of the protection detail so we’ll totally be fine,” Pinkie Pie exclaimed.

Twilight sighed and glanced over at the distant sight of the farmhouse, her gaze latching onto a familiar shadow. One that was walking back and forth in front of a window, darkening it briefly before disappearing out of sight.

“Oh, he's poking his head out, grab him Twilight,” Pinkie Pie whispered.

Twilight's eyes snapped open and she turned to find that the furry ninja had indeed poked its snout from the hole. Sniffing constantly, the creature was attempting to discern if they were still there.

“I got it,” Twilight whispered back.

Sunset didn't see the daring capture of the dastardly bandit, nor did she witness its containment. Her mind was busy churning with possibilities while she paced continually in front of the window.

The guest bedroom she occupied looked nothing like it had a week earlier. Gone were all the family heirlooms, bits of old memorabilia, and antique furniture lovingly maintained by the Apples. Now it was a command room, one staffed only by Sunset herself, and a single other person who stood near the door.

Clad in dark armor akin to the kind worn by those police officers that joined SWAT, the person had no visible skin or hair visible. Every bit of them was covered in padding, ballistic protection, or a dark-visored helmet that was impossible to see into. Standing just taller then Sunset herself, the figure had a slightly feminine appearance given how the top of their chest jutted out but it was impossible to truly discern gender.

Regardless of what they may identify as, they were an intimidating sight to most, but not to Sunset Shimmer. Who continued to pace, and mutter, glancing occasionally to the table set up in the middle of the otherwise empty room. Upon the simple wooden furniture was a map of the area around the Apple family home, on top of which stood many tiny figures.

Borrowed from a chess board, the various pieces were arranged around the entire area in a defensive formation. Hills sported bishops, the main road, a pair of rooks, while pawns were scattered everywhere and a queen stood next to the farmhouse. Small stones gathered from the gravel driveway had also been placed in random spots, though their purpose wasn't clear.

“When is he going to pick up,” Sunset Shimmer murmured.

A moment later, as if on cue, a crackling followed by a click came from the phone clutched in her hand.

“This is Tempo,” came the familiar, yet clearly strained voice of Perfect Tempo.

“I’m sorry. Was I interrupting something?” Sunset immediately exclaimed.

“Nothing terribly important,” Perfect Tempo replied. “What did you need?”

“I was wondering if we could have a helicopter parked on the property in case we need to evacuate the civilians,” Sunset Shimmer offered. “Nearly everyone’s parents are going to be here and I’m worried they may become a target.”

Perfect Tempo was quiet for a moment before sighing suddenly. “Sunset, that isn't exactly a very inconspicuous method of transport. The local government can only be bribed, or intimidated so much before they end up asking uncomfortable questions.”

Sunset paused and chewed on the bottom of her lips. “Look I know its a lot to ask, but I can't help but worry about what may happen to them if we do get attacked.”

“How about this,” Perfect Tempo began. “I’ll send a more accomplished mage with you tomorrow as part of the reinforcements and they will enchant the farmhouse for you.”

“They could bunker down if needed,” Sunset Shimmer muttered. “But what about-”

“You will also ride there in an armored car, that should the need arise, will act as your way out,” Perfect Tempo interrupted.

Sunset sighed, and ran a hand over her head, roughling her hair. “Alright, that sounds good.”

“Is that all?” Perfect Tempo asked, his voice sounding stressed.

“Well, I was hoping we could review the sniper positions and the load outs of your soldiers. Applejack was worried about any potential collateral damage destroying the farm,” Sunset Shimmer inquired.

Perfect Tempo was quiet again, only this time his voice didn't come back stressed but rather determined, commanding.

“Leave us,” he opened.

The black-clad soldier nodded once, turned around, and slipped out the door.

“Now, let us have a frank discussion,” Perfect Tempo declared.

“About the snipers?” Sunset Shimmer asked.

“About your anxiety,” Perfect Tempo retorted. “I’ve seen this enough times to know that no amount of preparation will be enough and that you will simply keep worrying no matter what happens.”

“That's not true! I just wanted to talk about the snipers, and how many grenades might be brought along,” Sunset Shimmer professed.

“Then as soon as I tell you that would you go back to your friends, and not worry about this anymore?” Perfect Tempo pressed.

Sunset Shimmer paused, biting her bottom lip as she thought about it. After several long moments of quiet, she sighed.

“No,” admitted the girl.

“Relax,” Perfect Tempo stressed. “We have gone over the plan several times now and have reached the conclusion that it is satisfactory each of those times.”

“I know but everyone’s families are going to be here, and I just… I just don't want them to end up like me. An orphan,” Sunset Shimmer whispered.

“Your fears come from a place of love, of dedication, and loyalty. Yet they must still be defeated like all fears,” Perfect Tempo stated. “Allow them to pass over you and turn your gaze upon its path.”

“Wait, isn't that from Dune?” Sunset asked.

“What's a dune?” Perfect Tempo replied.

Sunset Shimmer cleared her throat. “Nevermind. Thank you, perhaps I should take a minute to relax.”

“Take more than a minute, go out with your friends, lend a hand, and enjoy yourself,” Perfect Tempo offered.

“Yeah… maybe I will,” Sunset Shimmer muttered half to herself.

“Would it help if I were there?” Perfect Tempo asked.

“No, no. That's fine,” Sunset Shimmer quickly retorted. “I think we’ll be okay and besides, family only you know.”

“If you insist, though if you do then I insist in return that you stop thinking about going outside and simply do it,” Perfect Tempo urged.

Sunset Shimmer took a breath and nodded. “Right, I will. Thanks, Perfect Tempo.”

“It is no trouble at all,” Perfect Tempo replied. “Right now you should only focus on maintaining those bonds you have with your friends and team members. As they become stronger, so too will you.”

“Thanks again,” Sunset Shimmer offered. “Sorry to bother you.”

“It is no trouble at all,” Perfect Tempo replied. “Enjoy yourself.”

Author's Note:

If you want to read the next updates for my biggest stories at the begining of the month rather at the end, or want to get a commission from me as well as access to patreon exclusive content, and the chance to submit story requests every month, head over to my patreon!

Join me over on patreon and get instant access to exclusive content and early looks at new stories, patreon only stories and other great stuff! Check it out!
Or just join the discord to ensure that you dont miss an update.

This update was made possible by the wonderful support of readers like you: Ech, Tailsic, Chrisb32, Nightwing, Tonoz, CoreyPeters, Thane, Renegade, Sunset Flash, Kyokimute, Monsterkittie, Louts Petals, Tacocat, Tom, MestreJ, Aang Slyver, Canary in the Coal Mine, Ceepert, Starless, Vi Watch, Facinus, M, Nfreak, Venerable Ro, Blade Tech, Cryil Shadeclaw, John Gonzales, Nightwing, Peter Coulthard, Srgtartman, Thane Kull, Victor, Dale, Dragons' Sheppard, Egery007, Gear change the earth pony, Ivar, James, Kali, Lich Lord Krosis, Menthol Qtip, Midnight Serenade, Mop Hop, Nathan Brown, Octavia Lowbar, Pacsik, Soundtea, Hannibal, Fiamgoku, Grub, Matias Duran, and Steven.