• Published 5th Feb 2021
  • 2,492 Views, 139 Comments

Hostile History - Jest



Sunset Shimmer's is happy for the first time in a long time. She's accepted, has wonderful friends, and a life many would envy. Or is it all an illusion forced upon her by the very people she trusted? Only time will tell.

  • ...
21
 139
 2,492

Chapter 39

Twilight awkwardly stepped away from the small gathering, hiding her face as she walked out of the room. Leaving behind the uncomfortably tense atmosphere she had accidentally created with her absence.

“I think we should eat our dinner in my room,” Rarity exclaimed, picking up her plate and touching Fluttershy’s shoulder. “After all, we have a lot to discuss.”

“Oh um, I suppose,” Fluttershy murmured.

The pink-haired girl followed after Rarity, a blush remaining firmly plastered to her face the entire time. Applejack stood up not long after, the farmer giving Rainbow Dash’s foot a kick and a grunt.

“Eh. We should go too. This ain't exactly our scene,” Applejack declared.

“Ain't our whut now?” Rainbow Dash muttered through a mouthful of food.

Applejack rolled her eyes. “Come on, let's get going.”

“Don't worry, I got you A.J,” Pinkie Pie exclaimed.

The party girl then plucked the plate of pasta from the table, as well as Applejack’s bowl of food, and sprinted away. Leaving a confused, and angry Rainbow Dash to give chase after extracting herself from halfway under the coffee table.

“Hey come back here. I was eating that!” she shouted.

“I should probably go as well,” Sunset Shimmer muttered, only to stop when she heard the sharp, cutting voice of Timber from the penthouse entrance.

“I just don't understand,” Timber cried. “You said we were good. That we had worked things out after that bump with your friend.”

“And I’m telling you that I just can't do it anymore,” Twilight whispered back. “We are facing off against monsters that could tear you in half without a second thought.”

“So that's it, that's what I am to you, a burden?” Timber retorted.

Sunset could hear Twilight's sigh from the other room, and couldn't help but lean a little closer. She didn't mean to listen in, but if the discussion was about what she thought it was about… well, it might involve her pretty soon. Though Timber wasn't exactly violent, Sunset could justify standing by to help Twilight, just in case.

Though flimsy, Sunset Shimmer’s excuses were enough to assuage the worst of her guilt.

“You are not a burden,” Twilight stated. “Were just too different now. I’ve been basically a superhero for a while but we are fighting things that aim to kill.”

“I can train, or buy a gun,” Timber offered.

“No, you aren't a fighter,” Twilight declared.

“Neither are you,” Timber exclaimed.

“I wasn't, but things change Timber,” Twilight explained.

Timber shuffled awkwardly in the doorway. “So that's it then? All those great times we had together thrown away because you want to hit the superhero, big leagues.”

“Do you think I want this?” Twilight angrily whispered. “Do you think I enjoy knowing that my friends and family are going to be in constant danger for the foreseeable future? Do you think I planned on pissing off a psychotic ex-marine?”

“Well no but-”

“Do you think I want to have to fight for my life every few weeks?” Twilight pressed.

There was a pause before Timber responded with a quiet, ‘no’.

“Exactly,” Twilight exclaimed with a stomp of her foot. “If I could go back to my quiet old life I would, but that's not a thing that can happen anymore. We all deal with the cards we’ve been dealt Timber, and this is the best course for both of us.”

Timber sighed. “I suppose you’re right. I’m sorry Twilight. I guess I just… held on too tight.”

“It certainly didn't help,” Twilight remarked.

“You’re just, the first girl I really cared about you know? It's hard not to get invested,” Timber continued.

“And you’ll find others after me,” Twilight offred.

“Maybe one day, but even if I do I bet they won't be half as super as you,” Timber declared.

Twilight chuckled. “It was fun Timber, truly.”

“Yeah and hey, maybe one day we can be friends, just not… ya know, anytime soon,” Timber half asked, half stated.

“One day,” Twilight replied. “I’ll see you around Timber.”

“Yeah. See ya,” Timber murmured.

The door closed with a soft thump, the sound of Timber’s footsteps quickly disappearing down the hall. Twilight herself remained still for several seconds, allowing Sunset Shimmer the time to slowly walk over to the entrance. Where she leaned around the corner, gazing curiously at the misty-eyed young woman leaning against the wall.

“Are you alright?” Sunset offered softly.

“I’m fine,” Twilight replied immediately, slumping to the floor. “Okay so maybe I’m not fine, but I will be.”

Sunset walked over and plunked down on the cold floor across from Twilight.

“Wanna talk about it?” Sunset Shimmer asked.

“What is there to say? I knew we were growing apart before, but with this whole powers thing, and Foxtrot…” Twilight sighed. “It was the final nail in the coffin I guess.”

“I probably didn't help with that,” Sunset Shimmer admitted. “I should have been a more supportive friend and not let my crush get in the way of that.”

Twilight gently plucked Sunset Shimmer’s hand from her lap and gripped it tightly with her own.

“You’ve been a great friend,” Twilight exclaimed. “Even when you ended up as the third wheel you were kind and patient. If anything it's me who should apologize.”

“What, why?” Sunset Shimmer asked.

“Because I knew about your crush on me for a while but didn't know what to do,” Twilight admitted, her shoulders slumping as Sunset’s hand slipped from her grip. “I felt something for you, but I didn't know what, and then along came Timber and though he was great, that didn't work.”

“What are you trying to tell me?” Sunset Shimmer pressed.

The bookish girl sighed, pulling her legs tight against her chest. “I don't even know what I’m saying anymore,” Twilight murmured. “I guess I wanted to say sorry for leading you on but I feel like I’m rambling at this point.”

“Hey you never lead me on,” Sunset Shimmer corrected. “You were just being a good friend.”

“Was I?” Twilight asked the floor. “We both felt how passionate that kiss was, how electrifying that moment was. Yet I pushed you away because I was too scared of my feelings for you to face the truth.”

“The truth… what do you mean?” Sunset Shimmer pressed, her heart pounding rapidly.

“I… like you,” Twilight all but whispered, clutching her knees a little tighter. “I’ve liked you for a while but after we kissed I couldn't run from it anymore. That attraction is just too strong now.”

Sunset Shimmer wanted to scream and shout from the heavens, to declare her love for all to hear. Yet she couldn't, her friend needed her help right now, and now was not the time to try and push her luck. So Sunset pushed down that urge, steadied herself, and leaned over, placing a hand on Twilight's shaking shoulder.

“It's okay,” Sunset began, her voice low and soft. “You know how I feel, and you know what, or who I want but let's not focus on that right now.”

“But isn't that how it's supposed to work?” Twilight inquired. “We like each other so we should go out.”

Sunset rolled her eyes. “I may have about as much experience dating as you and even I know that you don't have to do anything. With everything that's happened to us recently, it seems a little off to jump in and start dating.”

“I mean, I guess,” Twilight reluctantly admitted, unfolding her legs and relaxing slightly.

Sunset slipped over to the other side of the hall, sitting next to Twilight and taking the other girl’s hand. “In time maybe we can become more, but right now you need to deal with a breakup and probably the worst teacher you’ve ever had.”

“I don't know… Mister Crabapple assigned a lot of homework back in tenth grade,” Twilight exclaimed, a smile slowly creeping across her face.

“Ha, yeah. Though I don't think you’re homework was ever quite like this,” Sunset pointed out.

“I’ve got it bad, so bad,” Twilight murmured. “But for once in my life I’m doing something I’m genuinely interested in. Researching a field few humans have ever had the opportunity to even know about let alone practice.”

“I don't know. Did you remember watching those reruns of mind freak? Are you sure that Chris Angel guy isn't secretly a magician?” Sunset Shimmer asked, prodding Twilight in the side.

Who chuckled. “Maybe he’s secretly like Perfect Tempo, an ex pony that came here after getting kicked out of Equestria for being too weird.”

“Perfect Tempo has an ideological difference with Celestia so maybe Chris Angel does too,” Sunset Shimmer offered.

Twilight scratched her chin and hummed in thought. “His name even sounds like a pony name, now that I’m thinking about it.”

“So that's it then. He's an ex pony freedom fighter that is now a second-rate magician with a stage show in Vegas,” Sunset Shimmer shook her head. “How the mighty have fallen.”

“Nah, this is all part of his plan,” Twilight replied, squeezing Sunset’s hand. “He's going to make a bunch of money then hire a ton of mercenaries and head back into Equestria.”

“I can see it now,” Sunset Shimmer began, raising her other hand. “Chris Angel, savior of Equestria, and earth elected president of both worlds in a rare double election.”

Twilight erupted in a fit of giggles, covering her mouth with her hand. “Oh, that's funny. We gotta tell Pinkie Pie that one.”

“Yeah maybe,” Sunset Shimmer squeezed the other girl’s hand. “Say, do you want to finish up our dinner and then watch a movie or something, just the two of us?”

“I don't know Sunset. Sounds a lot like a date,” Twilight shot back with a smirk.

Sunset shrugged. “It could be, or it could be two friends just enjoying each other’s company.”

“Either way it sounds nice,” Twilight replied.


Rarity sat quietly on her bed, tapping her knee with a delicate finger, a tense look on her face. Fluttershy sat on the floor nearby, her face unreadable due to be shrouded by her hair. Next to them sat their food, mostly gone, but untouched since leaving the living room behind them.

“So, I suppose we should talk about the kiss,” Rarity began.

“Oh I’m so sorry,” Fluttershy immediately blurted out, covering her face with her hands. “I just panicked and you’ve been so kind and supportive these past few days I wanted to hug you but for some reason, I did that instead.”

Rarity slipped down next to the other woman, gripping Fluttershy’s delicate shoulders tightly. “Darling please relax,” Rarity whispered in a low tone. “I’m not saying what you did was a bad thing, per say. Just, sudden.”

Fluttershy sniffed, the girl’s tear strewn eyes visible through the strands of her hair. “R-really?”

“Absolutely,” Rarity replied with a smile. “We’ve been flirting for a while now and though I didn't think anything of it, to begin with, that kiss… it changed things.”

“For the worse?” Fluttershy all but whispered.

“For the better,” Rarity corrected. “It crystalized my feelings for you, and made me really think about what we were doing, who I like, and the type of person I could see myself being with.”

“Oh, um that's good,” Fluttershy murmured.

“It is very good,” Rarity agreed, slipping between the other girl’s legs and cupping Fluttershy’s chin with a hand. “You’ve made me realize why no man has ever been good enough, why no boy ever reached my standards.”

“Why is that?” Fluttershy hesitantly asked.

“I never truly wanted a knight in shining armor, rather I wanted the princess,” Rarity replied.

She then leaned forward, and planted a light, gentle kiss on Fluttershy’s lips, one followed by a more passionate one a moment later. Fluttershy’s tense shoulders and tight muscles fell slack, the girl unable to resist reaching out and pulling Rarity towards her. Rarity’s fingers intertwined with Fluttershy’s while her other hand reached up into the tangled mess Fluttershy’s hair had become.

There they remained, kissing one another back and forth for what felt like a short, blissful eternity. Then it was over, and Rarity pulled back, a soft smile on her blushing, flushed face.

“You make me so happy,” Rarity whispered.

Fluttershy sniffed. “You make me feel so protected, so so… whole. I don't know how to describe it but every time I’m with you it feels like that day at the school when you shielded me.”

“You have no idea how glad I am to hear that,” Rarity replied. “The girls and I thought you were asexual for a bit there.”

“Oh um, kind of?” Fluttershy murmured, glancing away. “I think it's called demiromantic. Like, I’ve never been attracted to anyone I’ve seen in movies or whatever but you girls…You are all so amazing, you especially Rarity.”

“So you’re saying you’re attracted to all of our friends?” Rarity teased.

Fluttershy giggled nervously. “Kind of? I guess I can see what people find attractive in them, but I don't want to be with them, not like I want to be with you.”

“I think I understand that,” Rarity mused. “I personally find your more outwardly feminine charms particularly appealing. No offense to the rest of our friends but they don't excite me quite as much as you do. Except maybe Pinkie Pie.”

“I know, right?” Fluttershy gushed. “I didn't want to mention it but there is something about her that just makes me want to kiss her every time I see her.”

Rarity giggled. “I think she just makes everyone so happy that its hard to resist that temptation.”

The door to the room suddenly flew open and Pinkie Pie emerged with a wide smile on her face. “Did someone talk about kissing me?” she asked.

“Well I um, maybe,” Fluttershy murmured.

“Yes, we were actually,” Rarity offered, squeezing Fluttershy’s hand. “We both seem to have a bit of a crush on you.”

“Oh wowee zowee, that's crazy,” Pinkie Pie remarked, bouncing over to the pair and plopping down next to them. “Cus Applejack and Rainbow Dash just told me the same thing after they got done making out in their room.”

“W-wait, what?” Rarity exclaimed in shock.

Fluttershy’s eyes lit up and she leaned in close. “Really?”

“Yup! It was really adorable,” Pinkie Pie sighed. “They both like each other but wouldn't admit it before the other one did so they played what I can only describe as gay emotional chicken.”

Rarity and Fluttershy giggled, the two girls holding their hands over their mouths to stifle the sound of their laughter.

“I know right? Then after they were talking about me so my ears started burning, I walked in and we totally made out,” Pinkie Pie explained. “So do you want to kiss a bunch too? Cus you girls are like really pretty and I totally want to smooch you.”

“Well, aren't you, Rainbow Dash, and Applejack a thing?” Fluttershy replied.

“Sorta,” Pinkie Pie replied with a shrug. “We aren't like, exclusive or anything. They know I have too much love to give for just them.”

Rarity smirked and glanced over at Fluttershy. “Well then. I guess we should see if she has enough lovin for us too.”

Fluttershy grinned. “Oh yes. I wonder if she is going to taste as good as you.”

“I hope you like cotton candy then, sugar lips,” Pinkie Pie exclaimed with a giggle.

“We sure do, don't we Fluttershy?” Rarity replied while crawling towards Pinkie Pie.

An action Fluttershy mimicked. “We sure do Rarity. In fact, I think we’ve got quite the sweet tooth.”

Pinkie Pie licked her lips. “Then come to mama!”

Author's Note:

Its my birthday, and I'll be streaming all day over on Twitch! I got some fun guests lined up and I'll be playing one of my favorite games ever made. See you there!