• Published 5th Feb 2021
  • 2,483 Views, 139 Comments

Hostile History - Jest



Sunset Shimmer's is happy for the first time in a long time. She's accepted, has wonderful friends, and a life many would envy. Or is it all an illusion forced upon her by the very people she trusted? Only time will tell.

  • ...
21
 139
 2,483

Chapter 34

Sunset Shimmer felt her chest heave, her muscles aching with effort as her hooves pounded through the underbrush. Panting and wheezing she ran through a thorny bush, adding a bunch more scratches to her already thoroughly ruined coat. What part of her being not peppered with shallow cuts was covered with bruises, or small burns too numerous to mention. Yet despite just how much all the injuries weighed on her, she continued to throw herself headlong into the forest.

The sound of heavy wingbeats could be heard somewhere above and behind her, the noice slowly coming closer. A realization that made her already pounding heart start to thump even harder than before. It was almost enough to make her forget that this was not her body, and that she was not this strange earth pony running in the woods.

With that thought in mind she chose to ignore what her new body was telling her and try to get a handle on the situation. She was being chased, that much was obvious, but what was not obvious was the why of it all. The wing beats sounded loud, and wide, meaning that there was either an alicorn, or some larged flying beast chasing her.

It was at this point Sunset realized several different things, the most important of which was that she felt magic pouring into her hooves. It wasn't quite hte same as using her horn to cast spells, but it was familiar enough that Sunset could tell this pony was channeling something. Whatever spell he was using it was evidently what was enabling him to run so fast, as Sunset quickly realized she was moving abnormally quickly.

Wind whipped past her head, and the greenery blurred together as she ran headlong into a dense woodland area. She was also bulky, no, jacked would be a better way to put it as she was incredibly strong. She had more muscle on her strange, masculine body then she had when she was a pony, and it wasn't even close. Whoever’s body she was now inhabiting, they were quite the fitness nut, and one who knew the supposedly lost earth pony techniques.

Skidding around a corner, Sunset Shimmer’s hoof stomped into the ground, and somehow conjured forth a lance of stone. The spike shot up and behind her, though Sunset’s host didn't check to see if it hit whatever they had been aiming for. Rather he kept running alongside what looked like a shallow, though swift running creek.

Sunset noted that his fur was a deep brown, and from the few strands of hair falling over her face, Sunset could tell his mane was a shade lighter than his fur. His tail was the same color, and when he had summoned the spike of stone, she had noticed that his cutiemark was of a rock with a crack running through it. It was a simple mark, though she didn't get much of a chance to see if there was more to it before he had gone back to running.

Either way there were more pressing mysteries at play here, like how he had managed to learn this supposedly lost art. Celestia had always told Sunset that they were forgotten before even the founding of Equestria, and all records had been destroyed. A story which was pretty suspicious now that Sunset was really thinking about it from an objective standpoint.

Her musings were cut off when her host suddenly threw himself to one side, narrowly avoiding a fireball. One which careened through the treetops from an angle that would indicate it was cast from high in the air. Which meant that either he was being chased by a carriage upon which stood a unicorn, or there really was an alicorn back there. Either way Sunset had a feeling she’d find out soon enough, given how close her pursuer had gotten.

The earth pony managed to avoid the main brunt of the blast, sprinting over the edge of the creek, though his fur was still singed. He didn't stop however, as a bridge of stone grew from the side of the muddy wall, allowing him to continue running. Over the swirling body of water and onto the other side, where he made a bee line for a particularly thick patch of bushes.

He never managed to reach the safety promised by the tangled mass of wood, as another fireball slammed into the ground right before him. Knocking him into the air and sending him flying end over end, his entire body screaming in pain due to the sudden explosion. To Sunset however, it all felt like it was happening to someone else, as it was so muted and distant that she barely realized it was pain she was sensing.

A good thing too, as judging from the cry of agony, the fireball had caused a considerable amount of damage. Fur was singed, flesh burnt, and bones rattled upon the pony slamming back into the ground once more. With a splash, he landed face down in a small puddle near the edge of the creek, his entire body shaking from the shock.

He didn't let it overcome him however, and the stallion pushed himself up, giving Sunset a brief look at his face.

He was… handsome, with a chiseled jawline, strong, prominent cheekbones, and a mane that would have framed his features perfectly. Had it not been more or less burnt away, leaving only a thin scraggly mass which hung down one side of his head. He also had deep bags under his eyes, and despite the adrenaline pumping through his veins, the stallion looked tired.

Then he looked up just in time to see a white shape slam into the mud mere feet away from him. Looking higher still, he saw steel shod hooves, legs clad in war plate, and a chest covered by a thick layer of enchanted metal. Up, and up his gaze traveled, across the ocean of white fur that ended at the crown which adorned the top of the alicorn’s head. Her usually flowing rainbow mane was subdued, and tied behind her head, leaving her scowling features in full view.

“You disappoint me,” Celestia stated, wings flared. “All you had to do was sit back, and let it happen. The strife which so threatened your town would be gone and you would be ready to join Equestria properly.”

“Stability and peace in our land will not come from the blade of a sword, for peace without justice is an impossibility,” Sunset felt herself utter, her voice so deep that it sounded like the grinding of two enormous stones.

“Tell that to all the people who die in agony, alone and without help. Tell them that the peace they so yearned for must be postponed, put off, until a more equitable solution is found,” Celestia scoffed. “I’m sure they’ll appreciate your words while they suffer needlessly.”

Sunset shook her head. “Peace cannot be kept by force, it can only be achieved by understanding. All you will accomplish with your twisted efforts is an armistice that lasts only as long as the latest problem.”

“Fool. Do you not think I know that?” Celestia spat, stomping up to the now standing earth pony. “In the time between tragedies I sow bonds deep and numerous, ensuring that which binds them together is stronger than what keeps them apart.”

“Go then, bend the wind to your will, command the heart, and demand the heavens carry out your will,” retorted the stallion.

“Enough of your worthless quotations,” Celestia exclaimed. “Your end has come, and with it the heretical knowledge that you secreted away from me.”

“No, you can't. Those powers are ours by right,” he stated, slamming a hoof into the ground and causing the earth to rumble.

“Such abilities could be used to kill without a trace, and thus they will be consigned to the dustbin of history,” Celestia’s eyes narrowed. “As will you.”

Her horn glowed, and in an instant a beam of light slammed into the stallion, burning away his hair, as well as a layer of skin. Before it could peirce any deeper the stallion leapt to the side, using the water of the creek as a barrier between himself and his attacker. It wouldn't last long, he knew, as already he could feel the creek begin to boil, and things started to heat up.

Thankfully he had a plan in mind, and the stallion dove deep, plunging straight into the earth as if it were water. Then he just kept on swimming, hooves managing to pull aside solid stone like he had never left the small river. Already his lungs began to burn, but his senses picked up a distant cave system somewhere beneath him.

So he continued to press on, ignoring the heat which continued to follow him no matter how deep he went. On and on he went, yet Celestia’s attack always seemed to catch up with him, only managing to occasionally burn his hind legs. He didn't stop however, and kept digging, his entire body trembling due to the lack of oxygen.

Then, just as he was certain he was about to pass out, and Celestia was going to catch up with him, he fell through the ground. He reflexively filled his lungs with oxygen, and leapt back to his hooves, ignoring the four lances of pain that shot up his limbs. With a thought and a stomp of his hooves, he closed the tunnel that had formed behind him using feeling alone.

The heat that had been following him immediately vanished, though he knew it wouldn't be long before it managed to catch up with him. With that grim thought firmly in mind, the stallion reached behind his ear, and plucked a thin paper tube from the hidden spot. He then opened it, and loudly proclaimed.

“Yes, I would like a meeting,” his deep voice less gravelly, and far more strained than it had been a minute earlier.

The second he uttered those simple words, the full weight of his injuries began to bear down on him. He was burnt, every last inch of his body was raw, bloody and charred to a level beyond even his ability to heal. Yet despite some small voice demanding he lay down on the cold stone floor he remained upright and proud.

“Come on, come on,” he muttered.

A few moments later, the paper began to glow, and floated up from his hoof, before expanding rapidly. Growing until it was the size of a door large enough to admit a stallion of even his own impressive frame. It grew brighter still before solidifying, becoming a single flat surface of bright white light.

From which walked a strangely professional looking unicorn with a slicked back mane of gold and black. The rest of his features were hidden beneath a pinstripe suit and the high collar of a grey, expensive looking shirt. Leaving only his bright white fur and distinct purple eyes visible.

“Ahh, mister Broken Stone. I see you’ve accepted my meeting request,” exclaimed the calm, cool tone of the newly arrived unicorn.

“Yes, and I agree to all the terms you set out in your letter,” replied the earth pony. “Now may we go? Celestia is on her way here.”

“So I see,” muttered the other male.

Who turned, and looked up at the glowing stone above their head, idly noting the beads of liquid rock that were starting to gather. He didn't seem concerned by this, and merely lit his horn, casting a strange barrier spell that blanketed most of the area. It was this moment that shocked Sunset out of the flow state that had overwhelmed her for the last few minutes.

Namely it was just how powerful the shield spell was that surprised her. She could tell that a lot of energy had been expended in such a short time, something which shoul be impossible. It was on the level of an alicorn, though the male she knew to be Perfect Tempo sported no wings, nor was he even as tall as the earth pony standing across from him. Wherever he got such a power, it was evidently a potent source, as he simply ignored the clumps of molten stone raining down on his barrier.

“Before your employment begins, I must offer you a chance to negotiate. Oh, and don't worry about her. We have a few minutes before she becomes an issue,” Perfect Tempo exclaimed.

“I only want two things. Revenge, and the chance to educate my people on what has been taken from them,” Broken Stone declared, stomping his hoof in emphasis, and wincing immediately from the pain he accidentally caused himself.

“That is easily given, though it will take time,” Perfect Tempo warned.

“I am patient,” Broken Stone stated.

“Then the deal is done,” Perfect Tempo extended his hoof.

Broken Stone gently clopped his charred limb against his employer’s.

“I shall alert the healers immediately,” Perfect Tempo offered, turning towards the portal.

“I want only enough healing to keep me alive,” Broken Stone interrupted. “I want to keep my scars as a way to remind me what I’m fighting for.”

Perfect Tempo raised an eyebrow. “If you are certain.”

“I am,” Broken Stone replied.

Perfect Tempo extended a hoof towards the door. “Then go right through. I will ensure we are not followed.”

Broken stone nodded, and began walking towards the portal but stopping mere inches away from it when the entire cave shook. A dull boom heralded a sudden surge of boiling water pouring down atop Perfect Tempo’s shield. Along with a torrent of broken stone, liquid rock, and an absolute flood of sunlight which threatened to blind the earth pony.

“I’ve got you…” Celestia began, only to pause.

Her declaration of victory petered out as her gaze settled on Perfect Tempo.

“You,” she growled, in a low tone so menacing that Broken Stone felt his soul quake within his mortal shell.

“Yes, me,” Perfect Tempo replied. “Here once more to clean up after the mess you made.”

“I’m giving you one chance Perfect. Give me the earth pony, and I will let you walk away,” Celestia demanded.

“No, I don't think I will,” Perfect Tempor exclaimed with a smirk. “He is an employee of mine, and in my little organization we are family. Something you wouldn't know much about, now would you?”

“Then you will die here and now!” Celestia bellowed.

Broken Stone seemed ready to offer his assistance in the fight, but a strange magical aura roughly shoved him through the portal. As he fell, his vision began to blacken, and the world started to turn on its axis once more. When feeling returned, Sunset Shimmer found that she was herself once more, and that she had returned to the vault.

“Are you alright?” Twilight asked hesitantly, gently grabbing Sunset’s arm as she stumbled to one side.

“Yeah I’m fine,” Sunset Shimmer murmured.

“You certainly don't look like it,” Perfect Tempo pointed out.

“Well I did just see this Broken Stone guy get blasted by Celestia, and nearly die,” Sunset replied.

“Blasted…” Perfect Tempo frowned. “Then you saw his first meeting with myself then?”

“I did,” Sunset answered.

“What are you two talking about?” Twilight pressed.

“The person we were looking for is a pony by the name of Broken Stone, he seemed to have done something that upset Celestia quite a bit,” Sunset Shimmer explained.

“You could say that again. She was downright furious with him,” Perfect Tempo explained with a small chuckle.

“So what happened after you pushed him into that portal?” Sunset Shimmer inquired.

“I fought her for a bit, then after I had gotten a little fun out of annoying the old bird I slipped away,” Perfect Tempo replied with a shrug. “I was not so powerful that I could take her in a fight, and I had managed to cover my tracks quite well during our little bout.”

“Huh,” Sunset muttered.

“So, are you ready to move onto the next one?” Perfect Tempo asked.

“Perhaps a short break is in order?” Twilight countered, glancing expectantly at Sunset.

Who shook her head.

“No,” she stated. “I’m ready for more.”

Twilight sighed. “Fine, but after this next one you are going to sit down, and take a moment for yourself.”

“Deal,” Sunset replied, flashing Twilight a wink before reaching for the next orb.

Once again her world turned upside down, and again Sunset felt her body melt away. Replaced by a form that was quickly becoming familiar with.

Author's Note:

If you want to read the next updates for my biggest stories at the begining of the month rather at the end, or want to get a commission from me as well as access to patreon exclusive content, and the chance to submit story requests every month, head over to my patreon!

Join me over on patreon and get instant access to exclusive content and early looks at new stories, patreon only stories and other great stuff! Check it out!
Or just join the discord to ensure that you dont miss an update.
This update was made possible by the wonderful support of readers like you: Ech, Tailsic, Chrisb32, Nightwing, Tonoz, CoreyPeters, Thane, Renegade, Sunset Flash, Kyokimute, Monsterkittie, Louts Petals, Tacocat, Tom, MestreJ, Aang Slyver, Canary in the Coal Mine, Ceepert, Starless, Vi Watch, Facinus, M, Nfreak, Venerable Ro, Blade Tech, Cryil Shadeclaw, John Gonzales, Nightwing, Peter Coulthard, Srgtartman, Thane Kull, Victor, Dale, Dragons' Sheppard, Egery007, Gear change the earth pony, Ivar, James, Kali, Lich Lord Krosis, Menthol Qtip, Midnight Serenade, Mop Hop, Nathan Brown, Octavia Lowbar, Pacsik, Soundtea, Hannibal, Fiamgoku, Grub, Matias Duran, and Steven.