• Published 5th Feb 2021
  • 2,492 Views, 139 Comments

Hostile History - Jest



Sunset Shimmer's is happy for the first time in a long time. She's accepted, has wonderful friends, and a life many would envy. Or is it all an illusion forced upon her by the very people she trusted? Only time will tell.

  • ...
21
 139
 2,492

Chapter 14

Sunset Shimmer had an entire lifetime of studying the magical arts.

Ever since she'd been a filly, she'd known that magic was her passion. Even before she'd understood what future waited for those creatures who became Alicorns, she'd known that magic was the field she wanted to explore. Nothing could bring more comfort than direct power over the world around her.

An experience that was only made possible by bending the very laws of reality through the application of magic.

In the same vein, giving up her magic had been one of the most difficult sacrifices she had ever made, and one of the hardest parts about living on Earth. It was the reason she'd “always known” she would return to conquer Equestria and claim her rightful place wielding the power of an Alicorn. Magic simply wasn't something she would ever give up permanently.

Then she had made real friends, and suddenly not being able to use magic had faded into the background. She didn't really need the extra dexterity that came with telekinesis, not with how useful human hands could be. Sure everything besides what she would've done with levitation was gone forever, but she'd gladly make that trade in order to live in a world where creatures actually cared about and appreciated her.

But despite her friends, or maybe because of them, she'd never been able to completely give up on her life's previous passion. Even though her body could no longer do magic and even though she didn't have access to Canterlot's libraries or the raw materials, there had always been hope.

After all, what were her and her friend’s abilities, if not a form of magic?

Now, after all this time, Perfect Tempo had arrived to give her back something she'd long been denied. First her freedom, now her greatest love. How much was she going to owe to this pony? Did she even care? And could she ever even repay such a debt?

Sunset Shimmer didn't know the answer to any of those questions, so she chose to ignore those nagging thoughts for now. Maybe one day there would come an opportunity to give back, but until then she had enough on her plate already.

Sunset reached the bottom floor of her apartment mere moments before Tempo's car arrived to pick her up. The pitch black limo pulled smoothly to a stop in front of her, and one of the windows rolled down. To reveal Perfect Tempo himself sitting in the back, smiling politely up at her.

"I trust you're doing well, Sunset? Ready for a crash course on Earth survival?" Perfect Tempo offered, his voice slightly more mirthful then usual.

Sunset Shimmer nodded eagerly. She was so eager, that she didn't say anything further until she'd clambered back into the car, and the door snapped shut behind her. Then she grinned in a rather dopey, almost childish manner.

"You won't believe how long I’ve been wanting my magic back. I tried so many different things when I first got here... but none of it worked. None of my training meant anything in this place," Sunset Shimmer admitted.

A glance around the car told Sunset that Tempo's wife wasn't here this time, nor was there anypony but the driver separated by the screen, but Sunset wasn't worried. The others were paranoid, that was all.

This relationship was strictly professional.

"I think you'll find I know exactly what you went through," Tempo claimed.

He patted a hand on an old wooden case worn down to the grain in places which sat on the seat next to him.

"With perhaps one difference: you knew where and how to return. For the others I found over the years—we did not have that luxury. As far as we knew, we would never see Equus again. Mastering magic was not a matter of convenience, but survival,” stated the man.

Sunset nodded. She'd gathered some of this during their last encounter, though some parts still seemed strange to her. She would put together the secrets this creature knew, in time, but for now she also wasn't in any rush to pressure him when he'd given her so much for nothing.

"How long have you been here?" Sunset Shimmer inquired.

He'd already told her, but maybe she just wasn't remembering his answer correctly. It didn't make sense, it didn't seem possible. She'd probably just been overcome with shock and fear after the fight that it took to get them out of captivity.

"Since the Lunar Rebellion," he answered. "And before. Well... perhaps you're not ready to hear that story. I don't expect anypony else to carry the burden that Celestia placed on my shoulders. Yet... you know her well, so you probably know from experience. She isn't known for her kindness and mercy, even to those close to her. Any creature who she feels is a danger to her precious, helpless ponies... will be crushed under her hoof at the first opportunity."

That isn't quite what she did to me. Sunset shivered uncomfortably in her seat at the harshness in his words—but she didn't argue with him. Princess Celestia had broken her promises, refused to give her the magic that Sunset knew she deserved. Yet even this pony seemed to have it. By now she'd completely lost track of wherever they were driving. She didn't even care, only the information he could give her mattered.

"Are you..." It felt almost like she was breaking some unspoken rule by asking. Reaching above her station, or... something like that. But she deserved that power. Hadn't Celestia promised? "Are you an Alicorn, Perfect Tempo?"

He didn't seem offended by the question. Instead he laughed, loud enough to fill the little car with his mirth.

"I forget how important such things can seem when you're raised in Equestria's grip. Celestia wraps her wings so tightly around you that you can't see any other way out. There's no world but the one she creates. No future but the one you could have as part of her world," Lamented Perfect Tempo

He settled back in his seat, gesturing towards a cooler under the cushions. It opened, and a little bottle of champagne emerged from inside. He didn't offer Sunset any, though he did nod towards the fridge.

"There are drinks more appropriate to a day of magic practice inside. Take my advice and avoid the alcohol until the return trip at the earliest," Perfect Tempo exclaimed.

He poured the fermented beverage into a crystal glass, then continued, sipping from it as a unicorn might. Of all her friends, only Twilight could've wielded powers like that. Though Sunset had never seen her try with such tiny objects. That dexterity was common for unicorns who used it for everything, but humans with their delicate fingers never needed to learn it.

"Becoming an Alicorn is one way to survive this long. I suppose it's the simplest way in some respects. Reach a certain level of magical understanding, they say, and your future is secure. Rule for a thousand years or more," Perfect Tempo continued, swirling his drink around in its glass.

He set the ornate cup down, expression growing harsh and cold.

"Lies, Sunset. You must understand that the princess operates her whole world in the shelter of a dozen different lies. Compelling, sometimes. Usually beautiful, but always false. Alicorns are only one path of many to achieving eternal life, and they aren't one you're forced to follow. I imagined as a child it would be my fate too. But my mother made it clear that she wouldn't share her secrets with me. Even when Equestria was in terrible danger, when the power another Alicorn could bring might be the difference between survival and conquest by our enemies," Perfect Tempo remarked, his gaze growing distant, his mind no doubt wandering to times long past.

This time he didn't give Sunset the chance to speak, but continued on, determined to reach some point that Sunset Shimmer could only guess at.

"There's no power given to an Alicorn that can't be replicated in other ways. Consider Star Swirl—the greatest unicorn sorcerer who ever lived, by many definitions. You think the rumors were true that he couldn't complete the spell? Patently absurd. Star Swirl chose not to complete it, because he realized that it would bind him. He wouldn't sacrifice his freedom, and you don't have to either," Perfect Tempo stated evenly, his gaze focusing on Sunset Shimmer once more.

A glance out the tinted windows told Sunset that they'd passed outside city limits, into a large, mostly abandoned industrial park. Sunset watched as an electronic gate opened for them, then a figure in a dark suit emerged from a large warehouse, pushing the wooden doors open for them. If the girls were here, they probably would've told her this was the moment his kindness revealed the dark truth underneath and she saw some horrible torture suite.

The warehouse wasn't dark and bloody inside, but rather clean and brightly lit. There were shelves of supplies on one side, and an enclosed area at the back which might be an office, but no trace of anything that would confirm their human fears. We're ponies, we aren't like that. They need to relax. Sunset Shimmer thought. She almost wanted to text them just to reassure that she was right, and not in any danger. But she'd wait on that just a little longer. Just in case.

"Will you keep that knowledge from me too?" Sunset asked, only to realize how she sounded, and her eyes widened. "Sorry. I... If you know Celestia, you know how it always is. ‘When you're ready, Sunset! I promise that's where we're going, Sunset. You'll know when the time comes, Sunset. No one wants you to achieve more than I do.’"

She stuck out her tongue. "I actually believed all of that once upon a time. Then when she really finds the one she wants to share her powers with, Twilight has her wings before she turns thirty. Of course! That's fair!"

Perfect Tempo chuckled, apparently not upset with her boldness. "I know precisely what you mean. But no, I won't make you wait. I can give you the secrets of immortality right now. Of course you won't be able to cast them on this side quite yet. That's rather why we're here in the first place."

He reached to the side, where a little bookshelf was set just above the fridge. He dusted off some of the books there, selecting one of the many from its resting place and offering it to her. Sunset extended her hand, accepting its weight like a precious treasure. There was no getting past just how ancient it seemed, with a cover of strangely soft, tan leather. The title was entirely in a language she didn't speak, though she could feel the power emanating from it, just being close.

"I knew there was no chance I would make things right in just one generation," he explained. "Thus the object you hold in your hands. My findings on the nature of life, death, and mortality. Yours without condition, as is all my help. Ask, and you may leave whenever you want. Like right now, even."

Sunset flipped through the book in her fingers, treating its ancient pages with delicate reverence. The inside was packed with runes, and scribbling in what she guessed was Old Ponish. A little too academic for her taste, given she'd had access to the Canterlot Librarians to help with translation whenever she wanted. Not so much anymore, though she didn't doubt that Tempo would give her any help she asked.

She set the book down in the seat beside her. "I am..." She was on the edge of tears. She sniffed, stiffened in her seat. "I am honored at what you've chosen to share. I'll..." She gripped the edge of her seat, then looked out the window. "You're right, I'm not ready to cast this yet. I can't do any magic yet. Do you really think you can teach me?"

"Absolutely." He didn't even hesitate.

Tempo drained the rest of his glass, then slid it back into its resting place. The car parked on the edge of the empty warehouse, and the same orderly who had opened it gently shut the doors behind them.

"It won't be a swift process, of course. Magic is not cooperative with these bodies we've been trapped in. This is why the natives know so little of it. But the power can be harnessed. This... is one of the facilities I've used for the purpose over the years, when I have a promising talent," Perfect Tempo continued.

A few moments later, the driver opened the doors for them, and Tempo gestured for her to leave. He followed just behind her, grinning politely.

"You really think we'll need all this space?" Sunset Shimmer inquired.

"For you? I have no doubt of it," Perfect Tempo replied confidently.

He led her near the center. Figures emerged from the sides of the room, rushing over with heavy dollies. He waited in place as they moved, erecting a circle of massive... stones? Like the ancient standing stones Sunset Shimmer had seen on both sides of the mirror.

"The greatest weakness we all have on Earth is the lack of a horn. This organ is, as it turns out, a crutch that we relied on as ponies. We need not be dependent on it for our magical power. We just... need to find another way to accumulate magic from the environment. My assistants here are erecting a structure that will assist us in gathering magic. Call it a Hallow, if you like. Sit with me, and I will show you how to use it," Perfect Tempo stated.

Before he could even bend down, another assistant had brought over a woven mat. Like something from one of the many eastern religions, though not specifically from any one in particular.

"After we're finished here I will be joining some friends to another location, though there will be enough time for a short meeting," he continued, "I think they'll soon become your friends as well. You'll find the crowd of creatures that Celestia has harmed is wide indeed."

Sunset removed her shoes, sitting opposite Tempo on the mat. "I can’t wait.”

Author's Note:

If you want to read the next updates for my biggest stories at the begining of the month rather at the end, or want to get a commission from me as well as access to patreon exclusive content, and the chance to submit story requests every month, head over to my patreon!

Join me over on patreon and get instant access to exclusive content and early looks at new stories, patreon only stories and other great stuff! Check it out!
Or just join the discord to ensure that you dont miss an update.
This update was made possible by the wonderful support of readers like you: John, MestreJ, Starless, Gear Change, DioKyo, Tacocat598, Canary in The Coal Mine, Ceepert, Doomgoey, Tiwake, Vigilant Watch, Joshua, Nfreak, Facinus, M, John, Rhys, Corey, Blade Tech, Mephia, Peter, Apollyon, Nightwing, 浩民 簡, Hannibal, Dragon's Sheperd, BeenMcsqueen, Mop Hop, Dale, Xvos, Nathan, Octavia and Lowbar, Lich lord krosis, Prysm, Mike, Astor, Travis, Soundtea, Menthol Qtip, Craig, Mirvra, Ivar, Pacsik, Kali, Makani, Steven, Fiamgoku, free, GruB, Todd, Megatyrant.