• Published 3rd Sep 2012
  • 5,586 Views, 117 Comments

Under a new Moon - OldTimer



What happens when all your hopes are gone? What would you do if a goddess gave you a second chance?

  • ...
19
 117
 5,586

04 - What a Fool Believes

One week had passed since Drew awoke at Sweet Apple Acres. His recovery was almost full, thanks to Granny Smith’s loving care. The old mare’s plentiful meals and the rest had put some muscles back on his bones. He was taking a walk in the orchard when he bumped into Big Mac. The red stallion was loading a cart with bushels full of apples.

“Howdy, Mac!” Drew saluted.

“Well, Ah’ll be! It’s really good ta see you up ‘n fine! Takin’ a stroll in the orchard?”

“Yes, I’m feeling really full of energy this morning. Besides, since Granny doesn’t miss any occasion to feed me, being out of reach is not too bad!”

Big Mac chuckled. “Eeyup, that’s mah Granny fer you! Always fearin’ that one could starve!”

They both laughed. Drew stirred up, inhaling the fresh country air.

“You know what, Mac? I think that I could use a little movement. Can I help you?”

“That’s an almighty good thing ta hear” the farmpony replied “nothing like some good ‘ole field work ta help somepony get back in shape! Just be sure that ya don’t push yerself too hard.”

“Sure, Mac! What can I do?”

Big Macintosh pondered for about one minute, resting his chin on his hoof. His eyes lighted when he had the perfect idea to give Drew something not too hard to do.

“See those trees over there?” he said, pointing a hoof towards a small group of newly planted apple trees “they’re ready ta be harvested for the first time. Why don’t ya go an’ pick them apples? Ah’ll be back after unloading these”

Drew glanced at the trees Big Mac showed him. There were about a dozen trees, a couple of feet taller than him. Their branches were loaded with ripe apples, with a beautiful dark red skin. He grabbed a couple of empty bushels, happily heading for the trees. As he picked the first apple, he smelled its sweet scent, then he carefully placed it in the bushel and got back to work.

Big Macintosh arrived at the barn. He was unloading the cart when Applejack arrived.

“Howdy, big brother! Have ya seen our guest?”

“Sure Ah did, sis. He’s in the orchard, harvesting those new trees Cousin Braeburn sent last spring”

“What?” Applejack gave a stern look to her brother “Are ya out of yer mind? How could you let him strain himself?”

“First” Big Mac calmly replied “He asked me if he could lend a hoof, and Ah reckon he’s fine enough to do it. Second, there’s nothing like a good workout ta get in shape”

“Hmmm, you may be right, brother ‘o mine”

“Ah know Ah’m rite”

“Know what, brother?” she teased “Yer not even half as dumb as ya look!”

“Oh shush!” he said, grinning “C’mon, let’s go see how he’s doin’ with them apples”

The two siblings went back to the orchard, Big Mac pulling his empty cart. Not much later, they spotted Drew, humming a merry song while gently picking the fruits. His shirt was starting to be drenched with sweat. Four bushels were laying on the ground, full of apples. He was about halfway harvesting the trees.

Applejack had a worried look on her face “Do ya think he’s overdoin’ it? Maybe Ah should go help him” she asked her brother.

Big Mac stopped her with his foreleg. He was smiling proudly at the view.

“Just look at him, AJ. Look at how satisfied he is. He’s not straining, he’s achieving a goal. Now, goin’ there an’ helping him would be mighty unpolite, would it?”

“Since when did ya become so wise? Are ya takin’ lessons without me knowing?”

“Nnope!”

Drew had filled another bushel. He spotted the two Apples and raised a hand to greet them.

“Hey, AJ! Nice to see you!”

“Well, lookit there!” she said, smiling “seems like yer becoming quite the farmer!”

He looked back at the bushels full of ripe apples, enjoying the feeling that only a job well done can give. “Yep!” he said “nothing like some exercise to knock off the rust from my joints! And besides, that’s the least I can do to thank you for your kindness”

“Don’t even say that!” Applejack replied “Yer more than welcome here fer all the time ya need”

The morning passed quickly, at noon Granny Smith ringed the bell for lunch. Big Mac, Drew and Applejack headed briskly to the house, casually chatting.

“Ah tell ya, Drew” Applejack declared “a couple of months of farm work and ya’ll become as strong as mah brother!”

Drew, who was balancing a crate half full of apples on his shoulder, chuckled. “It’ll take more than that to be like him, AJ. I bet Mac could knock out a rhino with those hind legs of him!”

“Ah could if he tried to hit on mah sister!” Big Mac said, puffing his chest.

“Aw, shucks! Stop bein’ so overprotective. D’ya really think yer sister can’t defend herself?”

The trio laughed. Granny Smith narrowed her eyes, examining them as they were approaching. Suddenly, an idea started wandering in the old mare’s head. Trying to conceal her smile, she gave the last call for lunch.

“C’mon, ye three! Git yerself washed up while Ah set the table!”

***

Twilight Sparkle hadn’t come out of the library all week. Intrigued by Drew’s story, the purple unicorn had searched through every book at her disposition, hoping to find something about humans and their world. Unfortunately, her efforts gave no results.

“Awwwwwwwww” Twilight groaned, her eyes bloodshot because of the lack of sleep “How come there’s no history of humans in Equestria?” She was reading for the fifth time the Encyclopaedia de Mythica Creaturis, by Charles Hoofwin, an ancient tome considered the most complete compendium of exotic creatures.

Spike, her draconic assistant, rolled his eyes.

“Twi, it’s pointless” he said, picking up another book from the floor “You’ve gone through the entire library twice and couldn’t find anything. Why don’t you make a request at the Canterlot Archives?”

Twilight muttered something, mimicking her little brother’s last words. Her frustration was almost at peak.

“I’ve already made a request two days ago” she said flatly “But it will take at least two weeks for them to fill in. Apparently, they have made a huge increase to the security due to an attempted break-in some times ago” She carefully avoided the fact that the aforementioned break-in was made by her, with the aid of Pinkie Pie and Spike, in the vain hope to find a time stopping spell.

Spike chuckled, recalling the events of that night. Then an idea popped in his head.

“Why don’t you go to Sweet Apple Acres and ask Drew? I bet he can tell you everything about humans, since he’s one. He should be fine by now.”

Twilight mentally facehoofed. Why didn’t I think about that?

“You’re right, Spike! I’m going to the farm, so you can finish cleaning up this mess!”

She trotted out of the library, off to Sweet Apple Acres. Spike looked at the amount of tomes scattered everywhere. Sighing, the baby dragon started piling books in his tiny arms.

As every afternoon, Sweet Apple Acres was a quiet place. All of his chores done and eager to get a mug of cider, Big Macintosh was carrying the last crates of apples to the barn when a familiar voice called him.

“Hello, Big Mac. How are you?”

“Why, hello to you, Twi. Ah’m fine. Jest finishing mah last chores for ta day” he said, closing the barn door “What brings you here?”

“Oh, nothing in particular. I just wanted to drop by and check on your guest. Is he alright?”

“Oh, yes. He’s more than alright! Right now he’s with mah little sister and her friends. They should be at the clubhouse”

“Thank you, Big Mac. See you later!”

Twilight trotted through the orchard, off the the Crusader’s clubhouse. Once there, a loud cry from the small tree house pierced her ears. She covered the last yards to the clubhouse in a quick gallop, carefully stopping under the window. From there, she was able to hear everything without being noticed.

“You won’t get away with this!” Scootaloo yelled

“Yeah, give back Sweetie Belle ya thievin’ varmint!” Applebloom shouted.

Twilight froze on her hooves. Another voice from the clubhouse reached her. A male voice. It spoke with a dark tone.

“Fools! You have all fallen for my master plan! Now you won’t see your friend anymore!” Then the voice burst in a deep, evil laugh.

“Help meeeeee!” Sweetie Belle cried.

Could it be that Drew was a threat? Could it be that he was evil? Without thinking twice, Twilight charged her magic. A bright light enveloped her body and in a flash she disappeared, instantly reappearing into the clubhouse. Scraping her hoof on the floor, she was ready to face whatever evilness her new enemy was conjuring.

“Stop right there! I won’t let you harm those fillies!” she shouted.

Four stunned faces were looking at her, what laid right before her eyes wasn’t exactly what Twilight expected. Drew and the Crusaders were wearing paper hats and holding sticks. Sweetie Belle, clearly unharmed, was being hold by Drew while Applebloom and Scootaloo were standing in front of them, sticks firmly in their mouths. Scootaloo had a black eyepatch on her left eye. Drew and the fillies were speechless.

Twilight’s eyes darted between them, until realization hit her like a meteor.

“Am I interrupting something?” she said sheepishly, her cheeks flushing a dark red. All of the tension from before washed over her, the room still filled by an awkward silence. Drew was the first to talk.

“Hello Twilight, want to play with us?” he was barely managing not to laugh.

“I’m the hostage!” Sweetie Belle cheerfully chimed.

“So” Twilight said “you were playing pirates?”

They all nodded.

“Did I just make a fool out of myself?”

Once again, her audience nodded. Then they all burst out laughing.

“Did ya think it was for real? No way!” Applebloom said between her giggles.

Twilight fell on her haunches, her face now a deep crimson. Drew sat by her, grimacing.

“So” he said, wiping the tears from his eyes “What brings you here?”

“I wanted to see how you were doing” she gingerly said “and I’d like to talk with you a little”

“Well, as you can see, I’m doing pretty good. Why don’t we talk while going back to the farm? I’m not sure I can win against those two” he said, pointing his thumb at Applebloom and Scootaloo.

“Aw, you don’t want to play with us anymore?” Sweetie Belle asked.

“We can play again tomorrow” he promised, then he and Twilight set out.

The Crusaders watched them depart, quickly disappearing in the orchard.

“Now what can we do?” Applebloom asked

“Building airships?” Scootaloo answered.

“CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS AIRSHIPS MAKERS!!!” the trio yelled.

***

Twilight, her face finally back to its original color, shot a quick glance at Drew. Due to his bipedal position, he stood taller than her, her eyes at the same level of his chest. His limbs were sturdier than the last time she saw him, and a hint of beard was growing on his cheeks. She was still examining his figure when Drew spoke.

“So, what did you want to talk about?”

“Oh, I was just curious about your story. After our first encounter I’ve made some researches, but I couldn’t find anything about humans in Equestria. I was hoping you could fill me in about your race”

“Sure. And, by the way, AJ told me you run Ponyville Library. I‘d like to know more about Equestria. Can I drop by and borrow some books?”

Twilight’s ears perked at this request. “You like reading?” she said, her mouth agape.

“As a matter of fact, yes. Is it a bad thing?”

“It couldn’t be less bad! You like reading! Yes! Yesyesyesyesyesyesyes!” she started bouncing happily around him. Drew looked at the unicorn jumping around him, amused by her enthusiasm.

“I guess this means I can have those books”

Twilight froze in midair. Once again, her face went scarlet. She chuckled sheepishly and finally said “Yes. Sorry for overreacting”

“Don’t be. It was adorable”

Those last words made Twilight blush even more furiously. Adorable? Nopony ever told her that. She turned her gaze to Drew, he was looking at her with warm eyes, smiling. She shook her head, trying to find something to say, but for some reason, she felt a lump in her throat. Luckily, they were already at the farm. Applejack was sitting in the porch, waving her hoof at them.

“Howdy Twi! Didn’t know ya were here. Haven’t seen ya the whole week” then she moved her gaze to Drew. “Hey pardner! Was your afternoon with the Crusaders good?”

“Trust me, AJ, those fillies are a handful! If Twilight here didn’t come to save me I don’t know what would have been of me!”

Applejack giggled. “Yes, those three can be quite the pests. Hope they didn’t get ya too tired”

“Nah, it was fun. I got to be the bad guy” winking at Twilight, he politely avoided to talk about the little encore she provided.

***

The library’s door creaked open, revealing its neat interior. Twilight called for her assistant.

“Spike, come here, we have guests!”

The baby dragon peeped from the kitchen, his emerald eyes suddenly locking on Drew.

“Spike, this is Drew. Drew, this is Spike, my number one assistant”

Drew took Spike’s little hand in his. “Nice to meet you, Spike” then he turned to Twilight “So, where do we begin?”

Two hours later, Rainbow Dash came to the library, too. As she closed the door behind her, a desperate Spike kneeled before her, grabbing her forehooves.

“Please Rainbow, save me! They’re unbearable!”

The cyan pegasus gave Spike a puzzled look. “Wat are you talking about?” her ears perked as the sound of lively chattering reached her.

Them!” he said, pointing a talon towards the reading room.

“What the hay?” she shouted as soon she reached the room, her eyes widening in disbelief. Twilight and Drew were discussing over about a dozen of opened tomes. Twilight was scribbling furiously on a piece of parchment, taking notes as Drew described his world. At the same time, Drew was asking an ocean of questions about what he was reading from the books in front of him. Too busy grasping notions from each other, Drew and Twilight didn’t even notice Rainbow Dash’s presence. Even for Rainbow Dash, the bravest and coolest pegasus ever, that display of bookwormness was simply too much to bear. She carefully backed away, grabbing Spike under her wing.

“Oh my gosh! We have another egghead in town! Ponyville is doomed!” she cried.

***

Against all odds (well, against Rainbow’s odds actually), Ponyville survived pretty well. Another week passed, and the Sun rose on Sweet Apple Acres as every other day. It was Sunday, and that meant market day.

At the farm, Drew and the Apples were having breakfast, happily chatting together.

“Let me tell ya, Drew, this week ya really did a great job helping us!” Applejack declared over her pancakes.

“Oh, come on AJ, you’re embarassing me!” he sheepishly replied “Besides, I can’t thank you enough for all you and the others did for me. I really like staying here”

“Well, Ah’m glad yer sayin’ this” Big Macintosh said. He gave a quick glance to his sister, who nodded in reply “Cause me and th’ family had a little talk last night, and we’d like you to stay with us permanently. If you wish, of course”

Drew couldn’t believe his ears. “Really?”

“Heck yeah!” Applejack stated “Ah know it’s been only two weeks, but we really appreciate yer company. And since ya’re all on yer own here, we were hoping ya would join the Apple Family”

“I don’t know what to say” he said, tears swelling in his eyes. Not only these ponies welcomed him in their farm, they also wanted him to be part of their family.

“Then just say yes!” Applebloom said, jumping on his lap and hugging him “Ah’d really like ta have another big brother!”

A joyous smile formed on Drew’s lips. He squeezed Applebloom in his left arm, extending the other to harbor the other three Apples. “Of course I want to stay with you!”

“C’mon Apples!” Applejack said, shifting her hat on her head “Why don’t we all get ready fer the market?”

“Sure, sis!” Drew said, nudging her shoulder. Applejack giggled at the sound of that last word.

The trip to Ponyville Central was quick and pleasurable. Once their stall was ready, a multitude of ponies crowded it, curious about the strange being selling apples near Big Mac. Drew happily answered their questions, trying to memorize all their names. Applejack had to make them form a line.

“Ok everypony, ya’ll get yer chance to meet him, but remember that this is a market stall, so paying customers come first!”

“In that case, I want some fritters!” the green unicorn in front of Drew promptly said, trying to keep the others behind her. Drew picked the fritters and put them in a small packet, handing it to the mare and taking her bits.

“Here you are, Miss...”

“Lyra. Lyra Heartstrings” the mare replied.

“Nice to meet you, miss Lyra. I hope you will come back to our stall” he gave her a toothy grin, just before another mare pushed her away to get her chance to talk to him.

“Hello, sir, I’m Roseluck. I run the flower shop behind that corner. Would you like to recommend me some of your seemingly delicious products?”

Drew smiled at the mare. Guess this is what you get when you’re the latest arrive in a small community. Deciding to play the game, he gave the mare his best shot.

“Why, of course, miss Roseluck. Why don’t you have some of this delicious Gala apples? I picked them myself and I guarantee they’re just perfectly ripe”

Less than one hour later, Big Mac had to hurry back to the farm to get more supplies to replenish the stall. The horde of curious ponies didn’t thin until almost half of the town had had the chance to meet Drew. Applejack’s grin grew wider and wider as the fund box was filled with bits. Around halfway in the morning, some known faces started to appear in the market plaza.

“Darling, it’s so good to see you are so lively!”

“Hello Rarity! Glad to see you... oof!” A pink blur crashed on Drew before he could finish his phrase. Laying on the ground and trying to understand what just happened, he recognised the fluffiness of Pinkie Pie’s mane.

“Hi Pinkie!”

“Hi Drew! I just saw you and I realized I didn’t have the opportunity give you my Official Pinkie Pie Welcome Song, patent pending

“Sounds good. Do you mind letting me get up?”

“Sure!” then she bolted away, coming back two seconds later pulling her official Welcome Cart. She started the engine with a well placed kick. Trumpets and other contraptions sprung out of the cart, letting the party pony start her song.

Welcome welcome welcome
A fine welcome to you
Welcome welcome welcome
I say how do you do?
Welcome welcome welcome
I say hip hip hurray
Welcome welcome welcome
To Ponyville today...

“Wait for it...” everypony said, backing away.

An explosion of whipped cream and cake mix burst from the cart, literally flooding Drew.

“Are ya alright, sugarcube?” Applejack asked, holding her laughter.

Drew licked the cream from his mouth, laughing.

“Oh goodness, this day keeps getting better!” he said, trying to get his face cleaned “first I get a new family, then a whole bunch of friendly ponies greeting me, and now this!”

“Darling, did you just say family?” Rarity asked.

“Yes, Rarity, I was about to tell you, but I guess Pinkie gave me a better way to announce that I’m joining the Apple Family”

“This is marvellous news! I’m so happy for you!”

“Oh boy, this calls for the BIGGEST PARTY EVER!” Pinkie shouted.

As the morning passed, the Apples were packing the stall, ready to head back to the farm. Applejack was still counting the daily collection. The orange mare had never seen such amount of bits in a single work day.

“Say AJ, is market day always this busy?” Drew asked.

“Ah sure hope it will be!” she chuckled “Guess a new guy in town is a boost fer our business”

“Yeah, especially when you said ‘paying customers come first’. I didn’t know you were such a great dealer!”

“Oh, don’t act like ya didn’t like it! Ah saw how them mares were makin’ sheep’s eyes to ya. Ah’m afraid Ah’ll need to buck some reason into them fillies with these two hind legs ‘o mine!”

“Jealous, aren’t we?” he teased.

Turning away to conceal her blush, Applejack finished counting the bits. She put a hooffull in a bag and gave it to Drew.

“What’s this?” he asked

“It’s yer share” she said “Yer part of the family now, so ya’ll get yer weekly income like all of us!”

Weighing the bag in his hand, Drew smiled to Applejack. “I’m still not fully familiar with Equestrian currency, but this looks like a lot of money” he said

“And it is” Applejack replied “thanks to you we sold three times the usual today”

“Good. Hey, do you mind if I’m staying in town a little more? I’d like to look around for a bit”

“No problem pardner. Have fun!”

Walking through the streets of Ponyville, Drew spotted Twilight sitting on a bench with another mare. They were talking lively, but he couldn’t hear them from that distance. He walked towards them, waving his hand at Twilight.

“Oh, hi Drew! I was just talking about you with the mayor”

The mayor was a brown Earth Pony with a grey mane and tail, and a scroll for cutie mark.

“So you are the human everypony in town is talking about” she spoke with a calm yet interested tone.

“Nice to meet you, Miss Mayor. Your town is really nice.”

“I’m really glad you like it” the mayor said, studying him from behind her glasses “Twilight told me you’re staying at Sweet Apple Acres, since you don’t have a place. If there’s something Ponyville can do to help you, don’t hesitate to let me know”

“Thanks, mayor, but I don’t think that will be necessary. Today the Apples offered me to join their family, and I gladly accepted. Guess I’ll be one of your citizens from now on.”

“Drew, this is wonderful” Twilight said

“Indeed it is” the mayor happily replied “and since you are becoming a Ponyvillian, why don’t you stop by Town Hall tomorrow? We could register you in our archives and make it official. And if you want, you can help our community by participating in one of the city activities. Ponyville Fire Department needs volunteers. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to go, my husband is waiting for me at the cafe. Goodbye Twilight, and goodbye to you, Drew”

“Goodbye mayor. See you tomorrow!”

As the mayor trotted away, Drew leaned next to Twilight, whispering in her ear

“Do you think she’s trying to get my vote already?”

Twilight giggled. “So you’re becoming an Apple?” she asked

“Yes, they asked me this morning to become part of the family. They’re really great”

“I’m really happy for you, Drew. Applejack is one of my best friends, and I’m sure you’ll be really happy with them”

“Yep. Pinkie and Rarity already know. I was hoping to see you and the others to give you the good news. Do you want to come with me? We could chat a little while searching for Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash. But before this, why don’t we get something to eat? It’s my treat.”

Twilight blushed a little. Did he just ask her out? No, she thought, he was probably just being friendly. And yet her heart was racing, her mind picturing them together at the restaurant. She was still lost in her thoughts when she realized he was talking again.

“Is everything alright, Twilight? You’re spacing out”

“Sorry” she sheepishly replied “Sure, why not? I’m famished!”

***

The days passed quickly, and it was already three months since Drew got adopted by the Apples. Little by little, all the inhabitants of Ponyville acknowledged him as one of them. As for Drew, those were the best days ever. He had a new family, new friends and most important, no worries.
For the first time in years, he felt good and in peace. The Sun had almost completed its trip in the sky, and that meant work for today was over.

“Go on, AJ. I’m going to the library for a while”

“Alright, Drew. Jest remember that there’s a rainstorm scheduled for this evening”

“I’ll keep it in mind. See you later!”

Drew loved his afternoons at the library with Twilight. The purple unicorn was probably the smartest and most knowing being he ever met. He could spend hours simply listening to her talking about any random subject, letting her soft voice caress his ears. Twilight, too, loved his company. The studious mare was glad there was someone she could talk with without having to fear she was talking to a brick wall.

Drew knocked at the library’s door. A moments later, Twilight opened it, greeting him. An awkward silence fell between them as their eyes met. Twilight broke the tension.

“Hi Drew!” she said in a little overexcited tone “Come in, I was just about to close for today”

“I hope I’m not intruding” he said “I’m here to return this book I borrowed”

“Oh, not at all! You’re my best customer. So” she asked “did you like Equestrian History?”

“It’s really fascinating. I’m amazed at how the three tribes managed to overcome their differences and worked together for the best. It’s something my species couldn’t achieve”

As always, Twilight was intrigued by his words. She couldn’t find anything about humans in her books and the scholar in her wanted to grasp every notion about Drew and his world. On the other side, Drew was more than willing to spend time with Twilight. There was something about the purple unicorn that made him feel alive. In their past meetings, he told her about the ancient civilizations, their rise and fall, and how his race had been able to create and destroy at the same time. This time, he told her about the great geniuses of the Renaissance, and how they were treated for their revolutionary ideas. Twilight asked questions from time to time, and Drew gladly answered them.

The crack of a thunder interrupted their talk. Twilight looked out of the window. Raindrops were starting to fall at an increasing rhythm.

“I thought that the storm was scheduled for tonight”

“Actually it is tonight” Drew said, looking at the clock on the wall.

Over three hours had passed since Drew’s arrival. They were so lost in their conversation that they didn’t realize how much time had passed. Another thunder announced the start of the storm. Heavy raindrops started falling on Ponyville. Drew was in for a very wet ride to Sweet Apple Acres.

“I suppose I need to borrow an umbrella” he stated.

Twilight was still looking outside the window. “I’m afraid the rain is a little too hard for a regular umbrella. Besides, I don’t think you’ll be able to use it”

“Why not?”

“Because it’s a saddle umbrella, it’s meant to be attached to your back. Pony stuff”

“Guess I could become rich selling human accessories. Oh, wait, I’m the only one around. I’d end up selling everything to myself.”

She giggled. Then an idea popped in her brain. Her cheeks turned a little red.

“Why don’t you stay here... with me?” Twilight was surprised those last two words came out of her mouth.

He gave her an uncertain look. “What?”

“I mean” she said, quickly recovering her cool “since it’s raining so hard you could stay here for tonight and go back safely tomorrow morning.” Another loud thunder made Twilight’s proposal more endearing.

“Well, ok. I just hope Granny and the others won’t worry”

Twilight’s heart skipped a beat. Why do I feel like this? It’s nothing different than that time with Applejack and Rarity. I’m just having a friend for a sleepover. A friend that makes me feel funny...

“I’m afraid I can’t compete with Granny’s cooking, though. Spike usually makes the meals and he’s away in Canterlot for royal business. The best I can provide is daisy sandwiches and hay fries”

Drew felt his stomach squirm. He sure got used to the vegetarian habits of the ponies, but hay and daisies weren’t exactly something he could eat. “In that case, allow me to treat you to something made by me. I may not be as skilled as Granny or Applejack, but I suppose I can arrange something edible” for both of us.

Thirty minutes later, Drew had arranged some stir fried veggies and an omelet. Twilight was levitating a bottle of wine. “I’ve had this bottle of Canterlot Chardonnay for a while. How about giving it a try?”

“Why not? It’ll help wash out my cooking. I’m not sure I made it right”

Twilight took a bite of her meal. “It’s delicious!” she said, happily munching.

Drew poured the wine into two glasses, then handed one to Twilight. They both took a sip of the golden liquid, tasting it.

“You know, this is quite good too” Drew said. The wine tasted like fresh pineapple, with a hint of almond. Its sparkling sweetness covered the conspicuous amount of alcohol in it. As they finished their plates, the bottle was emptied too. They both were feeling a little dizzy, so they moved to the living room, sitting on the couch.

“You know, Twilight, these months have been the best I can remember. I’m really lucky to be here”

“Don’t you miss your world? And your family?”

“Actually, no, I don’t miss them. I know this sounds strange, but I never felt part of my old family. As far as I can remember, I’ve never felt part of something. Until I came here”

“This is so sad to hear”

“Yeah, I know. But tell me something about you. How about your family?”

“Well, my parents live in Canterlot, and so does my brother. He’s the captain of the Royal Guard. As for me, I moved here after the Nightmare Moon incident, to continue my studies as Princess Celestia’s personal protegè...”

“Yes, you already told me that. Did you write about me in your letters to the princess?”

“Actually, yes. I mentioned you and your interest for Equestrian History. She’s really happy that you like staying here and wants to meet you one day”

“That would be great. Maybe you could accompany me, I’d like to meet your brother, too”

She giggled. “Sure, you’ll like Shining Armor”

Then the shotgun question came.

“So you’re like a celebrity... I bet there’s a line of suitors at your door”

“What? No!” her cheeks flushed red as she covered her snout with a hoof.

“Sorry, wrong question” he said, stifling a giggle “Yet I’m a little disappointed in Ponyville’s stallions. Are they all blind?”

“Oh, stop it you!” she said, blushing even more “I refuse to keep on this conversation”

Drew couldn’t hold it anymore, and burst laughing. “Sorry, sorry” he said, holding his sides “It’s just too funny to tease you!”

Twilight pouted, her cheeks still red. She lifted her forehooves, trying to grab him, but the alcohol in her body had dulled her perception and she lost balance, crashing on Drew. They both ended on the ground, Drew immobilized under her. It was a pretty awkward position for both of them.

“Ow, that hurts. Next time I’ll keep my mouth shut”

“That’ll teach you to not mess with the Sparkle” her eyes were just a few inches from his.

“Sorry” he said, unable to look away from the purple stars in front of him.

Suddenly, Twilight locked her lips on his. Drew’s eyes widened in surprise. It all lasted no more than a second, yet it seemed an eternity for both of them. That innocent kiss made Drew realize how much he liked being with Twilight, how much she made him feel happy. It was now all clear: there was something between him and the purple unicorn. Something deep. Something pure. Something beautiful.

Twilight lifted her head, looking at Drew. His face was still blank for the shock. She felt her heart stop, fearing that she made a terrible mistake.

“Oh gosh, I’m so sorry!” she said, her voice trembling in terror.

“I’m not” then, setting free his arms, he grabbed her head, kissing her once more.

This kiss lasted way longer than the last. They savored each other’s lips, until Drew cautiously pushed forward his tongue. Twilight opposed no resistance, welcoming him inside her mouth. Their tongues danced together until they broke the kiss, heavily panting.

“That was unexpected” she said, still catching her breath.

“Yes, it was. Nonetheless it was amazing

“Does this make us... Strange? I mean, we’re two different species after all.”

“I don’t know. Do you feel strange?”

Twilight pondered his words. Was that wrong? After all interspecies relationships weren’t completely unheard in Equestria. She heard of ponies and griffons being together, even ponies and Diamond Dogs. So, were they doing something wrong?

She was still searching for an answer when he kissed her again. That kiss made her find the answer. It was so not wrong. Love couldn’t be wrong. They had all the night to confirm that theory.

***

The Sun arose on Ponyville, spreading its warm rays in the blue sky. Once the storm had finished its job, the weather pegasi took care of clearing the clouds. The industrious ponies were getting ready for another day.

Drew and Twilight were still peacefully sleeping, holding into each other’s arms. As usual, the morning light awoke Drew. Twilight shifted in his embrace, quietly moaning.

“Wake up, Princess” he whispered in her ear.

“Mhhhh, it’s too early” she leaned her head on his chest, letting his heartbeat lull her.

He smiled, gently kissing the tip of her horn. I want to wake up like this every day.

Having one of her most sensitive spots kissed made Twilight shiver. She reluctantly opened her eyes, meeting his gaze. “Fine, I’m up. You better have a really good reason for not letting me sleep”

As an answer, he kissed her on the lips.

“Ok, that was a good start” she said with a playful smile “but you’ll have to do a little more to get my forgiveness”

A knocking at the door interrupted them.

Drew rolled his eyes. “Isn’t it a little early for customers?”

“Oh my gosh!” Twilight gasped “I forgot Rarity and Fluttershy invited me for breakfast this morning!”

The library’s door creaked open. Rarity peeped inside.

“Twilight, darling, are you up? Fluttershy is waiting for us at Sugarcube Corner” the white unicorn entered, her hoofsteps getting closer and closer.

Twilight panicked. Her eyes darted between Drew and her bedroom’s door while her brain was racing to find out how to keep secret from Rarity that she wasn’t alone in her bed. Her horn flared, and the door shut.

“Twilight, is everything alright?” the voice came from behind the door

“Go, I’ll stay here and go away after you leave” Drew whispered.

She kissed him one last time. “I’m coming Rarity, just let me make myself more presentable”

***

Sugarcube Corner was busy as every morning, with ponies happily consuming their breakfast. Pinkie Pie was bouncing from table to table taking orders and placing trays full of their famous sweet treats. In a corner table, Rarity, Twilight and Fluttershy were eating their meal and chatting. Well, at least two of them were. The purple unicorn was in a deeply thoughtful state, her head resting on her hoof.

TWILIGHT SPARKLE!

“Wha-Uh? Who’s drowning?” Twilight snapped out of her thoughts, almost spilling her coffee on the table. Shaking her head she tried to identify the source of that loud scream. After a couple of seconds, she realized Rarity was talking to her.

“Why, darling, are you spacing out like this?” the fashionista had a concerned look on her face.

“Yes, Twilight, you’ve been ogling your mug since Pinkie placed it in front of you. Is there something wrong?” Fluttershy asked.

Twilight’s brain was still in the process of realizing what happened last night, reviving every single moment it. Every kiss, every word they said to each other, everything that happened. Her face flushed a deep crimson while her lips curved into a dumb smile.

“Darling, there’s definitely something wrong with you. Do you want to talk about it?”

Twilight blushed even more. Sure her friends were to know about her and Drew sooner or later, but what was she supposed to tell them now?

“Well, you see” she started “Drew came over to the library yesterday...”

“This is nothing unusual, Twilight, he comes quite often. He likes reading almost as much as you do.”

“Yes, but there was that downpour last night, and it started really soon” words came out of her mouth like a torrent “It was raining so hard, and he didn’t have an umbrella, and I thought that it wasn’t safe for him to go back to Sweet Apple Acres in that storm and...”

“...and?” Rarity and Fluttershy asked simultaneously.

“And I invited him to stay for the night!” Twilight felt her cheeks hotter than ever.

“Darling, that’s nothing to be ashamed of!” Rarity said, “you just helped a friend.”

“Yes, Twilight” Fluttershy added “you just offered him shelter because you didn’t want him to catch a cold. You would have done it for anypony else”

“Although” Rarity continued “I understand that you feel a little embarrassed, darling. Inviting a man to stay at your place could be misunderstood for something... unconvenient. Furthermore, Spike is away in Canterlot and you two were alone, but I’m positive that nothing unseemly happened. Drew seems quite a gentleman, after all”

Twilight didn’t answer. Her face redder by the second.

Rarity’s voice went up a note. “Nothing happened, right Twilight?”

“Actually...” Rarity and Fluttershy’s eyes widened as Twilight spoke.

“Actually...?” They both leaned on the table.

“...there might have been some minor kissing”

Rarity’s jaw almost hit the floor. Fluttershy barely managed to stay conscious.

“Darling, I must have misheard. Did you say kissing?”

“We had dinner together, and I took out a bottle of wine, and... It all happened so fast!”

“You mean... He forced himself on you?”

“What? No!” Twilight forcefully replied “Actually I kissed him first!”

An awkward silence fell on the table. Rarity was the first to speak.

“Well, darling” she said, wiping the sweat from her forehead “that may seem a little uncanny, but I guess you gave him a small peck on the cheek, nothing to be embarrassed about”

“On the lips”

Rarity swallowed hard. Fluttershy was almost out cold.

“Multiple times”

Fluttershy couldn’t take anymore. “Oh dear” she managed to say before fainting. Rarity was panting hard, fanning her face with her hoof. After helping the yellow pegasus regain consciousness, the talk continued.

“Darling, did you just say you two kissed multiple times on the lips?”

Twilight nodded, bracing herself for the upcoming burst of scolding, but nothing happened. Instead she felt two pair of hooves hugging her.

“This is wonderful!” Rarity chimed “You finally found your special somepony! I’ve been trying to hitch you since forever!

“I’m so happy for you, Twilight!”

Rarity’s love sense was now working at full throttle, quickly putting together the informations at her disposal. Suddenly, her eyes lit up and her pure white face went scarlet. She realized something even more juicy must have happened.

“Say Twilight, did Drew went home before dawn? I came quite early at your house, and there was no sign of him...”

Twilight didn’t answer. She tried to sink under the table, in the vain hope of escaping that question. Rarity mercilessly continued staring at her.

“We may have slept together” she finally said.

Rarity and Fluttershy exchanged a quick glance, then they nodded to each other.

“There’s only one thing to do now” the white unicorn said, leaning on the table with a mischievous smile on her face “You must tell us everything, darling. And don’t be stingy on the details!”

***

Back at Sweet Apple Acres, Drew was welcomed by a rather annoyed Granny Smith. “There you are, ya big dummy!” the old mare said “ya had me worried sick fer not coming home yesterday!”

“Sorry, Granny. I totally forgot there was a storm scheduled last night. I stayed at Twilight’s”

Granny Smith gave him a sardonic look, then she shrugged. “Younglings! Ye could forget yer head at home if it wasn’t attached to yer neck! Now go in ta orchard, yer chores ain’t doing by themselves!”

“Sure, boss!”

Granny watched him vanish over the trees. Her experience told her something was in the air. She shrugged and went back inside smiling.

Drew was busy raking the fallen leaves when Applejack called him.

“Hiya, bro! Was yer little sleepover good?”

Drew didn’t need to turn his head to know that she was teasing him. He sighed heavily, paying attention to not let her see his face.

“Morning, AJ. Do you need something?”

“What, can’t Ah check on mah little brother in the morning?”

“You do realize I’m older than you, do you? And, besides, you’re Equestria’s worst liar”

She chuckled, trotting next to him. “Let’s just say a little birdie told me that you and Twilight may have played doctor, if ya know what Ah mean...”

“News really do fly...”

“So ya’ll really did it! And Ah thought Rainbow was just trying to get me mad!”

“Rainbow Dash? Who told her?”

“She knew it from Fluttershy, who heard it directly from Twilight”

“Well, guess you were to know, sooner or later”

She hugged him tightly. “Ah’m so happy fer you! You and Twilight will be happier than a pig in a mud pond!”

“Oh, shush you! And I call dibs on teasing you when you’ll get a coltfriend!”

Applejack giggled. “Deal”

It was a beautiful day in Ponyville. Two voices could be heard, declaring their joy to the world.

Kissing like a bandit stealing time
Underneath the sycamore tree
Cupid by the hour sends valentines
To my sweet lover and me

Thought that I was going crazy

Just having one those days yeah

Didn't know what to do

Then there was you
Slowly Surely
Yours appetite is more than I know
Sweetly Softly
I'm falling in love with you

And everything went from wrong to right

And the stars came out and filled up the sky

The music you were playing really blew my mind

It was love at first sight
Wish me love a wishing well to kiss and tell
A wishing well of butterfly tear
Wish me love a wishing well to kiss and tell
A wishing well of crocodile cheers

'cause baby when I heard you

For the first time I knew

We were meant to be as one
Hugging like a monkey see monkey do
Right beside a riverboat gambler
Erotic images float through my head
I wanna be your midnight rambler

Was tired of running out of luck

Thinking 'bout giving up yeah

Didn't know what to do

Then there was you
Quickly Quickly
The blood races through my veins
Quickly Loudly
I wanna hear those sugar bells ring

And everything went from wrong to right

And the stars came out and filled up the sky

The music you were playing really blew my mind

It was love at first sight
Wish me love a wishing well to kiss and tell
A wishing well of butterfly tear
Wish me love a wishing well to kiss and tell
A wishing well of crocodile cheers

'cause baby when I heard you

For the first time

I knew we were meant to be as one