• Published 25th Nov 2020
  • 501 Views, 10 Comments

Victory Over the Light - Star_Shade



With Nightmare Moon now in power, what would it take to start a rebellion? How much are those that seek to dethrone the Queen willing to risk?

  • ...
1
 10
 501

Chapter [8] Conversations, with a book

It felt strange, returning to a new normal. After the group had settled with the plan, she had been surprised that they chose to delay any action. Though after Shining Moon had explained their reasoning, it made more sense. “It’s too early to try anything. I believe Nightmare Moon may still be on edge with our escape and will have security tighter than normal. We need to fade from the focus of the public eye, so that even if something does happen, Nightmare Moon won’t first think of us,” he had said. He had remained in the cottage to offer a few more encouraging words to Flutter Moon after everyone else had left.

“So, tell me again, what exactly do you want me to do?” Flutter Moon had asked, her head still trying to wrap around the plan.

“Right now, you don’t need to do anything. Moon Melody is with Dasher Moon to scout potential spots to set up a hidden camp. Blue Moon is working with Moon Sparkle to try and duplicate that cloak I have, as well as make some connections with nobles. I still have to talk with Moon Pie, as well as convince Applejack Moon to somehow help us. I firmly believe that you all, no matter how you feel, can make a difference and help us in your own ways.” Shining Moon had patted her shoulder with a hoof. “Now you may not see me for a while, but I will be looking over this quaint little town. Perhaps Celestia sent Dawn Lighter here for a reason. Anyway, I will inform you when the time is ripe for us to move into our next phase. For now, simply settle down. Perhaps build a routine to head to the Royal Canterlot Library Archives maybe once a week or so. Be shy, but also be brave. Speak with Moon Sparkle if you need to contact me for anything.”

And with that, he had left her. Three weeks had passed, and still no word from him came. Flutter Moon had begun to grow convinced that nothing would happen. Though she still did as he had asked, visiting Canterlot and checking out books on a variety of subjects.

Today, she was simply stargazing out of her window into the night sky. The full moon still firmly in place illuminated the rest of the world with its soft glow. Flutter Moon’s cottage stood out in warm contrast, bathing the area in a yellow glow. Her home had attracted some unwanted attention over that time, as quite a few animals seemed to enjoy the yellow hue that her lights produced. She had spent most of her days explaining to them that the world was different now, and that they could no longer rely on her to produce the light they needed.

Occasionally she would visit Sparkle Moon, who appeared to be doing much better with her business. Now supported by the resistance, the white mare had grown her business and had been thinking of expanding to a second location. Flutter Moon was in full support of this, though she personally still felt like she had been forgotten by them. She had expressed her concerns to Sparkle Moon, yet the unicorn had dismissed her and instead inspired her to be patient.

Moving away from the window, Flutter Moon checked the time. Inspecting her list, she grabbed a bag of seeds and slipped out her front door. Walking over to one of her many bird feeders, she smiled at the many chattering avians before dumping their food. She hummed to herself, smiling as a friendly bird hopped over to her mane and nestled in. As she was just about to head inside, she noted that one of the pigeons had something connected to its leg. Curiously, she drew closer and unraveled the parchment.

Dear Flutter Moon,
I know this is an unconventional way of conversing, but sudden pressures have amounted, and personal meetings will not be possible right now. However, now is the time to act. Moon Melody has informed me that to enter into the secret chamber, you must locate two books with a Sun and Moon design emblazoned on their spines. We believe these are located in the classified section. Pulling both down will open the place, and you will be able to enter. A pony will be keeping watch over the entrance and should notify you if something is amiss. Good luck and stay safe.
Shining Moon
P.S. Dispose of this as soon as you can.

Heart pounding, she rolled the message up and looked around. Not finding anypony spying on her, she quickly returned to her home and tossed the message into her living room’s fireplace. Getting her breath under control and wiping her hooves, Flutter Moon then began to tidy up her cottage. Ten minutes later, she finished and grabbed a saddle bag. She slipped out the front door and made her way towards town and its train station, ready to be brave.


Sitting alone on the train, Flutter Moon’s apprehension rose as the landscape flew by her. Tonight was the night, this was what they had planned for. She wondered who would be the sentry, but perhaps it would be better if she didn’t know. Her thoughts drifted towards the library as a certain pony came to her mind. During her visits to Canterlot, she had met a cute stallion by the name of Scribble Moon. He was a cartoonist who had been doing research for his career in the entertainment industry. They had bumped into each other when she had checked out a book detailing bird wings, and he had wished to use it as a basis for his drawings. From there, their friendship blossomed, and Flutter Moon secretly found herself looking forward to seeing him whenever she visited the city.

Her thoughts were cut short when the train came to a screeching halt and the conductor announced their stop. Stepping out into the fresh air, Flutter Moon breathed in and out a few times to steady herself. As she walked towards her destination, she noticed the construction around her. Pegasi and earth ponies hammered away, while unicorns lifted silvery metal with swirling designs to be fitted around the exterior of buildings. She shook her head as she witnessed ponies digging up dirt and tree roots. And watched in horror as they cut them up and tossed them into a pile to probably be burned. Her heart ached as she watched the destruction of trees that Celestia had planted specifically for a better environment and a healthy city. All torn down just to make room for more flashy decorations. But she reminded herself that she was here on a mission. Perhaps once she had completed that, she could come back and protest the city’s efforts.

Finally reaching the Canterlot Library Archives, Flutter Moon stepped through. “Hello, Miss Dessi Moon! How are you doing today?” she asked as she passed the librarian’s counter, happily waving at the mare.

“I am doing good, Flutter Moon. And you don’t have to call me that, why, I am only five years older than you, dear,” called Dessi Moon, looking up and smiling at the pleasantries. “Is there anything that I can help you with today?”

“No thanks, I think I know where I am going,” replied Flutter Moon, smiling in contrast to her nagging worries as she ventured further into the library.

“Well, if you need anything, you know where to find me,” finished Dessi Moon, returning to her book. Flutter Moon bit her lower lip in thought as she tried to remember what her instructions had been. Two books with a Sun and Moon on their spines if she recalled correctly. Another question was where would these two be located within the classified section? Sighing to herself, she just wished she wasn’t going in alone.

Contemplating this, Flutter Moon nearly ran into a familiar pony. “Oh hey, Flutter Moon. Fancy seeing you here,” stated a familiar muffled voice. Scribble Moon chuckled through the pen in his mouth and looked up from his seat at one of the tables. Flutter Moon took a glance at his work, which seemed to be a sketch of a mouse with questionably large ears. “How are you doing today?”

“I am doing well. How are you? How goes your drawing?” wondered Flutter Moon, walking closer to him in curiosity.

“It’s going well, still trying to learn good back structures and leg support for certain animals. But I am improving in other areas. Would you like to see what I have drawn today so far?” offered Scribble, quickly shuffling his stack of papers as he fumbled around in search of his past works in hopes of impressing her.

“Well, it looks wonderful already, but I actually have something that I am looking for today,” Flutter Moon declined, smiling at him before starting to head off towards another section.

“Oh! Before you go, would you um… I wanted to work on drawing ponies. Would you be willing to um, well, pose for me, perhaps?” he proposed. Both blushed at the question. Flutter Moon’s heart jumped in her chest, and she looked away bashfully.

“Um, well, I don’t know…” she mumbled as she turned around, her mind in turmoil at the prospect.

“It won’t take long, I promise. I just wanted to make something beautiful to remember you by,” continued Scribble Moon boldly, slowly sliding a fresh piece of paper over and giving her a soft smile. “Please?”

“I-I... I don’t know. Maybe later, okay? I really need to do something else first. But once I finish, I promise I’ll come back, alright?” deflected Flutter Moon, cringing inside and hating to deny him.

“Oh, okay.” The earth pony sighed before perking up. “I’ll hold you to it then. Do you need any help?”

“I think I am good, thank you for asking though,” stated Flutter Moon, wishing him good luck and moving on.


For her, it seemed like hours had passed as she combed meticulously through the rows of books in the classified section. When she checked the clock, only three hours had passed, and she assumed she had another two before she would go through all of it. It wasn’t until the fourth to last section that gave her pause. Going back, she noticed a break in the pattern of display shelves. Drawing closer, Flutter Moon shivered as the familiar feeling of magic permeated the air. Hesitantly, she placed a hoof where a shelf section should have been and was surprised to find it passing through. Growing bolder, she fully stepped through the facade… and found more books. Two caught her attention, standing out against the full colors of the rest of the section. These had to be what she was looking for.

Flutter Moon was just about to use a stool and grab the books, when she hesitated. Did anypony see her enter? Had she already set off a warning when she passed through the hidden barrier? She moved to the very edge of it and looked around. Spotting a colt and his mother walking by, she waved at them, yet they paid her no attention as they continued. Growing more confident, Flutter Moon stepped over and brought the two books down with a soft click. A few more mechanical clanks later, a spiraling passageway opened up for her. “Well, there is no turning back now. Onwards and downwards, I guess,” she whispered as she began to descend the stairwell. She jumped in surprise as the exit behind her closed with a foreboding metallic click. Taking note of a lever to the side, she hoped it opened the entrance.

As she stepped down, she noticed some lovely runes that were scratched along the walls. Some she could read, warning her to turn back. Others seemed to be equations foreign to her, too complex to understand. A few etches seemed to be as old as the castle itself. “Come now, Flutter Moon, let’s not be distracted by the nice-looking scribbles. Stay focused on the task,” she muttered to herself. Eventually, after three flights of stairs, she reached the bottom.

As soon as she stepped into the chamber, she was immediately greeted with a warmth that she had not felt in a long time. While the library above seemed standard and musty, this felt magical and full of life. Like a host preparing their home for guests, the place smelled welcoming and open.Countless feelings assaulted her senses, and she tried to distinguish between them. It felt like the books were alive and calling out to her, asking her to pick them up and read their contents.

Another feeling, that one of being watched made her shiver. She scanned the room, looking for anypony hidden within the shadows. Yet she couldn’t find anyone, which bothered her more. Wandering over to a nearby staircase that led upward, she traced a hoof along its rails as she ascended and discovered not a trace of dust along the wooden banister.

Reaching the top, she sighed as it seemed like her day was going to be filled with looking through more books. One tome in particular caught her eye. It lay on a pedestal, illuminated by the moon’s light that came from a small window. Flutter Moon was surprised to find natural light flooding into the room. A small window drew her attention. She gazed outside, captivated by the perfectly full moon. She let out a gasp when the lunar body that had been stagnant for what seemed like an eternity suddenly began to move across the night sky. She sat in stunned awe as its moonlight slowly changed and shifted through the room.

Flutter Moon realized how much time she had wasted by sitting and staring. “Come on, stay focussed,” she chided herself. Drawing away from the window, she returned her gaze back to the book on the pedestal. Was this what she was looking for? Stepping hesitantly closer, her sense of being watched increased. But her curiosity got the better of her, and she flipped open to the first page. Immediately, a wave of intelligence brushed up against her mind, seeking to penetrate her very psyche. Not knowing any form of mind defense, Flutter Moon’s mental barriers were thrust aside as whatever the thing was, found what it was looking for. It then withdrew from her, leaving her panting and confused.

“So, thief, do you have anything to say for yourself?” came a masculine voice, which seemed to echo within the chamber and around her without any source. Flutter Moon jumped in surprise.

“W-who’s there? Where are you?” Flutter Moon called anxiously, desperately looking around.

“I would be the book that you were about to steal. I saw you enter into here, barely within my vision range. Seeing a non-unicorn set hoof into the sacred Room of Knowledge without accompanying a unicorn, what a disgrace. Now, as to my earlier question, do you have anything to say for yourself, thief?” said the book accusingly.

“I… I don’t consider myself a thief…” muttered Flutter Moon, hiding behind her mane.

“Don’t try lying to me, I scanned your mind and saw your intentions to take one of the books here, clearly me, as I am one of the tomes of the great--” began the book.

“Actually, I don’t want to steal you… Mr. Book, I am looking for the book of Predictions and Prophecies. Could you tell me which one that would be?” Flutter Moon found a new courage welling inside of her as she interrupted the hardback. After all, it was only paper, it couldn’t hurt her.

“Well, I’ll be. Such rudeness to one of the most ancient and greatest books in history, I will have none of it here,” stated the book quite pompously. “Why do you search for this work anyway? Unless…” Suddenly, it took hold of her mind again. Yet this time, instead of searching for her intentions, it went deeper. It analyzed her past, picking up memories and displaying them for its purpose. All was laid bare before it as it looked through the resistance’s plans, its leader, the other members. It watched previous events play out, took in consideration Flutter Moon’s feelings, and had a special interest in Nightmare Moon. All the while Flutter Moon sat as she was pushed and probed, unable to do anything but wait until the entity was satisfied.

Finally withdrawing from her mind, the book let out a deep sigh. “It seems that I am in the wrong. Please forgive me, little one. You have been the first pony I have spoken to in nearly a thousand years. I see within you your denied destiny, and the tragedy that has struck. However, you are not the one that I await, so I am sorry to say I am unable to provide assistance in your endeavors. Perhaps in the future, there will be a time, but now, it is not. I will, however, tell you of what you seek. But be cautious, there will be a price that must be paid. Are you willing?

“I think so…” murmured Flutter Moon, surprised by the turn of events.

“Very well, I give only one warning. Turn back now, and you will be spared of the coming events. Proceed, and I cannot guarantee your safety,” offered the book.

“I need to do this, I can’t back down now. Where is the book?” announced Flutter Moon boldly, puffing her chest and flexing her wings.

“I believe Nightmare Moon has placed it over there,” the book stated as it highlighted another table with a milky white outline. “Ever since she and that other unicorn have come here, I have been slowly subverting their spells. I did not know the length of my endeavors, and perhaps that is why you were able to bypass the illusion that the new queen has placed.” Stepping over, Flutter Moon picked up the book and was tempted to read the new prophecy.

“Before I go, I don’t think I ever got your name? Or, do books even have names?” asked Flutter Moon as she made her way back towards the exit.

“That’s not important right now. You must get out of here. With that book, I have placed a spell on it that should allow you to bring it out of this library without alerting the queen, but my magic can only go so far. When you cross the threshold of this place, the spell will collapse. When that happens, run as fast and as far as you can,” prompted the book.

“But, I…” started Flutter Moon.

“Go!” commanded the book, pushing her with its magic halfway up the stairs with Predictions and Prophecies tucked underneath her wing. Flutter Moon quickly scaled the other half and came to the lever. She quickly brought the latch down, waited, and moved through the newly opened passage. When she did, she could hear a soft click as the entrance quickly closed behind her. “Guards! Thief!” cried a familiar voice behind her.