• Published 25th Nov 2020
  • 501 Views, 10 Comments

Victory Over the Light - Star_Shade



With Nightmare Moon now in power, what would it take to start a rebellion? How much are those that seek to dethrone the Queen willing to risk?

  • ...
1
 10
 501

Chapter [2] Chilling realizations and changed minds

The closest thing one could liken to what Twilight was experiencing was staring out a window. Twilight could see everything that her eyes could see, but had no control of them. Absently, she tried to move a leg forward, but it didn’t even budge. Soon panic began to take root as she realized she couldn’t even breathe. Her mind attempted to move, speak, scream, anything! Yet nothing happened. All she could do was feel something... another presence in her mind. A presence that now thought alongside her, that moved when she couldn’t, used her eyes to see, and breathed in a different rhythm than herself. And there was something else. It didn’t just control her, it used her. She could sense it reading her memories like a book. Analyzing her behavior and examining her thoughts and experiences. Awakening memories that had once been suppressed.

After a moment, she attempted to reach out and try to communicate with it. At first, it drew back, distancing itself from her. Suddenly, it charged forward and overwhelmed her with feelings of weakness and pain. Then it opened itself to her and spoke.

You are a strange pony,” it said. “My mistress has picked well. You were the brightest and the strongest among your group. Therefore you were the perfect candidate for the first possession.

“What… what are you?” responded Twilight in her mind.

I once was a humble spirit, until Queen Nightmare Moon offered me your body to possess. She called upon me from the moon, and so we share a connection. Though I am my own entity, I am also linked with Nightmare Moon because of her spell. And my Queen has named me Dawn Lighter,” the spirit replied happily.

“So, that is why I can’t move or even breathe of my own accord? Because you have control of my body?” reasoned Twilight.

That is correct. I am in charge now,” it stated. Yet Twilight refused to believe it. She searched her mind and body, hoping to find some sliver of freedom. Some overlooked part she could use to break from her new bond to this spirit.

Enough,” interjected the spirit. “Don’t you see? I am in complete control of your body and mind. You cannot hide your thoughts, your intentions from me. Your power is mine and at my command.” And to prove its point, it took a few confident steps, flexing a hoof and sparking her horn. “You are now simply a remnant, a spectator to the coming events. You should feel grateful for being the first of a new empire. Now hush, the Queen is about to speak.

Nightmare Moon stood in the throne room, gazing at the stained glass windows and monuments created by Celestia. “Adapting to the new body and grip of your host? Excellent,” she began, beckoning Dawn Lighter over to where she stood. “It’s pathetic, really, Celestia didn't even bother to put her victory over me in these murals. You are doomed to repeat your own past if you fail to learn from it.” She tsked, tracing a hoof along the glass. Moving her gaze from the windows to the other decorations that littered the halls, she shook her head in disgust at the pleasantries.

Nightmare Moon stopped and faced Dawn Lighter. “And it seems that in my absence, our subjects have increased. We must account for this new development. See what advances our kind has made, and how far we stretch across the land. Therefore, every pegasus, unicorn, and earth pony—no matter the age, must be enumerated. And each shall be given a new name, one blessed by the moon.”

“A wonderful idea, my Queen. How shall we go about this? And if ponykind has reached far and wide, how would we know? Is there a spell we could use to keep track of all the populace?” wondered Dawn Lighter.

“Mm, an incantation like that would require immense power and a constant watch. No, something simpler must be used. A token or tablet of some sort could be the key to identifying the ponies of the kingdom,” countered Nightmare Moon, tapping her chin in thought. “As for what my sister has done… that is all in the past now. We move on to a new era!” Taking a few steps back, Nightmare Moon lit her horn. Encasing the windows with her magic, she shattered each one outwardly, sending the remains into the night.

With a swish of her tail and quick pivot, the dark alicorn continued her canter down the hall, Dawn Lighter following closely. “How soon can we begin, my Queen?” she asked.

“As soon as possible. But I think we need another individual to keep account of all the names and numbers of ponies in my kingdom,” stated Nightmare Moon thoughtfully.

“Hmm, I think I already have one in mind. His name is Spike, and he already serves as this host’s assistant. Let me summon him here,” answered Dawn Lighter. Stopping, the unicorn scanned through her memories. Closing one eye in an attempt to focus, she utilized a simple breathing technique she recalled. The spell took form and placed a confused dragon in front of the two.

“Woah!” Spike jumped, immediately rubbing his claws together anxiously and looking around. “Twilight, wha-what happened to you? And what, uhm, is she doing here?” He gulped, glancing between the two.

Disregarding his words, Nightmare Moon drew closer to the dragon and examined him curiously. As she towered over him, Spike quickly began to backpedal until his back hit a wall. He put his claws up in defence. Somewhat satisfied, the dark alicorn lifted him up to eye level with her magic. “Listen closely, Spike, and listen well, as I do not like to repeat myself. All that you have known is about to change, and I cannot have one of my subjects lingering in the past. Celestia is dead, and I am your new ruler. And I am in need of an assistant,” she stated vehemently.

“B-but, I’m Twilight’s assistant,” Spike mumbled, straining against her magic and turning to Dawn Lighter. “Right?”

“He’s all yours, I have no need for an assistant,” Dawn Lighter said casually. Shocked and mouth agape, Spike bowed his head in shame. His greatest fear played out before him.

“Right, so we need you to keep a record of all the ponies. Their occupations and new names,” continued Nightmare Moon, plopping him back down to the floor.

“N-new n-names?” Spike sputtered, moving back onto his feet. “But, why?”

“Well, my scaly new assistant, I want to assess the kingdom my dearest sister has oh so kindfully given to me,” Nightmare Moon replied curtly. “I want to know how we have progressed. Our allies and enemies. I have been gone for over a thousand years, but I still know how to rule. Now, I do not want you to question all of my motives. Do as you are asked, as there is much to be done.”


One of the sayings that Fluttershy always enjoyed from her mother was, “No matter what happens, things will always turn out for the best.” And it was a saying that had consistently kept her with a positive outlook on life. So as she stepped nervously in the queue to be “renamed”, she chanted to herself that no matter what, she would stay true to herself and her friends. The world needed kindness right now, and it was up to her to do the best she could. Surprisingly, the time flew by as she waited. And when it came to her turn, she paused hesitantly. Was she truly okay with this? She knew that her name was special and that everypony else’s was too. Yet she kept her concerns to herself and stepped forward.

“Please state your name and occupation,” began Nightmare Moon, who was seated at a desk above her. Next to her and a bit lower, sat Spike. He was currently finishing writing a scroll, and she grew curious as he set down his quill and ignited the paper. Nightmare Moon tapped her desk with a hoof impatiently, gaining Fluttershy’s gaze back.

“Oh sorry,” Fluttershy squeaked, before taking a deep breath and answering. “Hel-hello, my name is Fluttershy, and I am an animal caretaker”

Taking a moment to let Spike move onto a fresh scroll, Nightmare Moon continued, “And why were you named Fluttershy?”

“W-well, my name came from when I was born. Whenever I was with other ponies, I was quite shy. And I couldn’t stop fluttering my wings whenever my mother or father held me. My parents thought it was the cutest thing and chose Fluttershy as my name,” explained Fluttershy, absently letting her mane overshadow her eye.

Thinking for a moment, Nightmare Moon responded, “I see. There is change coming, and ties to the past will be cast to the wind. Therefore, your new name shall be Flutter Moon, one blessed by the night.”

Nightmare Moon beckoned Fluttershy closer with a hoof. “I am going to put a spell on you, something that will do many things. One of these things is going to make you forget your and everypony else’s names. Furthermore, it will make your body more adaptable to my moon, replacing your need for sunlight with rejuvenation from the night,” stated Nightmare Moon.

The dark alicorn steadied herself, wrapping Fluttershy in her magic and tapping the pegasus with her horn. “Nunc lux lunae habes,” Nightmare Moon announced, completing the spell and placing Flutter Moon down.

“Woah,” she mumbled, taking a few tentative steps as she regained her balance. “My coat feels weird. Is that, um, normal for the spell?” Flutter Moon wondered, rubbing a hoof across her chest.

“It is. Simply step into my night, and you should feel even better than your previous self,” answered Nightmare Moon lightly, also taking a blank tablet and engraving “Flutter Moon” on it with her magic. “This is yours now. Keep it with you so that we may identify you in the future. Enjoy the night, Flutter Moon. You may leave now.”

Author's Note:

Now I know this chapter will probably be the more controversial one, since it pushes away from the normal canon and into AU territory. But that’s what the tag is for. This chapter will most likely be the deciding factor on whether or not I have you, dear reader, captivated enough to continue. If so, strap in, because it’s going to be a bumpy ride.