• Published 25th Nov 2020
  • 501 Views, 10 Comments

Victory Over the Light - Star_Shade



With Nightmare Moon now in power, what would it take to start a rebellion? How much are those that seek to dethrone the Queen willing to risk?

  • ...
1
 10
 501

Chapter [6] A clearer story and muddled emotions

Shining Moon took one last look around the perimeter before nodding his head. He had just finished placing magical wards around the area that would alert him if anypony attempted to sneak up on their group. Confident that he would be notified by a signal spell attached to his horn, he began to make his way back to the cottage. With the arrival of Dasher Moon, they were just about to begin before Blue Moon had made the suggestion of not repeating past mistakes. Going back out alone was never easy, and after being bombarded with pleas from Moon Sparkle to fix his cloak with a patch kit she brought, he was left with a feeling of nakedness. He had begun to grow accustomed to the dark clothes. Being a mysterious figure prowling in the night satisfied his inner colt.

As he was heading back, he contemplated what needed to happen next. Each of them were not telling him their complete story, and now that they all were here, none of them could push off to the others. No more diverges, no more distractions, the full story. He needed answers, and one of them would tell everything. As he made his way into the living room, Shining Moon was greeted by Blue Moon with a wave. That was all the hello he received, however, as Blue Moon was lounging in a chair, a smirk on his face as he viewed the room. Sparkle, Applejack, and Dasher Moon were all glaring at each other, with Flutter Moon anxiously looking between the three of them.

Quickly defusing the bubbling anger that was just about to spill, Shining Moon cut through the silence, “Hey, Moon Sparkle, were you able to finish patching the cloak?” he asked hesitantly, hoping to divert their attention onto him.
“Yes, darling, here it is,” replied Moon Sparkle, not even acknowledging him with a look and throwing the clothes at him with her magic.

“Ah, thank you,” he whispered before turning to Blue Moon. “How long have they been doing this?”

“Since you left. Five bits it’s Moon Sparkle that goes off first,” Blue Moon murmured back, munching on his fourth sandwich. “I watched her patch that whole thing while glaring at the other two. Ever seen somepony sew angrily?

“Now is not the time to be making bets on others about to blow up at each other!” Shining Moon hissed. “I need to fix this now.” Clearing his throat, he assessed his options and stepped over to Flutter Moon. “How bad is it?”

“Not good, I’m afraid. I think they might fight and hurt one another.” She gulped, eyeing each of them.

“Can you do something?” he asked and lit his horn.

“No, I won’t be able to do anything if they get physical. I hate being so useless,” she mumbled, her wings drooping.

“Can you tell me why they are mad then? What made them hate each other?” continued Shining Moon, noticing her reaction and moving closer to reassure her.

“I’ll tell you what happened,” Dasher Moon growled, pointing a hoof at Sparkle and Applejack Moon. “They did nothing, nothing at all to fight against Nightmare Moon. They are to blame for everything that has happened since then. With Celestia, with Dawn Lighter, everything!”

“Well, ah sure hear a lot of blame shifting from somepony that was right there with us too! Why don’tcha give an explanation for that?” spat Applejack Moon, scowling at her.

“Can somepony please tell me what happened then!?” Shining Moon exclaimed angrily and snorted as he looked at each of the mares in turn.

“Dawn Lighter is what happened!” Dasher Moon finally answered as she turned to Shining Moon. “She was there! She knew about Nightmare Moon, knew about how to potentially beat her, knew where to go. But because she was so smart, Nightmare Moon turned her to the dark side! Cursed her or something, and you two abandoned her! You betrayed her! You betrayed... me…” She whirled away from them, tears in her eyes. “This was a mistake. I shouldn’t have come here.”

“Please, Dasher, stay. We need you, I need you. What would Dawn Lighter think if she saw you giving up like this?” asked Shining Moon, causing the blue mare to halt in her tracks.

“No, she’s right. Ah shouldn't even be involved in these sort of things anyway. Ah got a family business to run, ah can’t waste time here,” Applejack Moon mumbled, making her way towards the exit. “And to top it off, ah’m stuck with a changed name. Ah mean come on, ‘Applejack Moon’? What sorta dimwitted name is that. No pony is gonna take me seriously with that. Stupid Nightmare Moon. Ah need to get back to working, too many folks to deal with. Shoulda never left the farm.”

“At least your business is doing well. I haven't gotten a single customer in two weeks!” remarked Moon Sparkle, scoffing and turning away from them. “How can a lady expect to make a living if nopony is interested in her work?”

“Pfft, here you go again with your work. It’s not like anypony likes dresses anyway, those are for snobbish nobles that want to impress each other with their wealth. No offense, Blue Moon,” retorted Dasher Moon, grinning at the stallion and shrugging with a knowing smirk.

“At least she has a decent job, unlike you!” added Applejack Moon indignantly, turning to the cyan pegasus. “You do nothing but sleep and slack off! All ah see of you is a lazy mare who’s never worked a day in her life!” And that was the final straw, as all three began to yell and threaten one another.

Shining Moon attempted to break up the verbal fight, but it seemed that his words did little to sway the three angry mares. Sighing, he placed a protective shield around them so that they wouldn’t hurt each other. Looking around for any support, he rolled his eyes as he spotted Blue Moon grinning and munching on another sandwich. He turned to Flutter Moon, only to find her mumbling incoherently and squeaking at each rude word. It seemed that she would take all three sides and was internally struggling to choose.

Rubbing his temples, he sighed again. It seemed all his hopes of being united were now shattered and broken before him. He had half a mind to simply kick them out. His horn lit up, letting a few sparks fly as the warning signal spell played its part. Yet he paid it no attention as he attempted to defuse the situation. How could he bring them together and expect to lead them if they fought over this? His thoughts, however, were interrupted by the sound of clipping hooves against wood.

“Enough!” cried Moon Melody as she cautiously descended the stairs to stand before the bickering group. “Moon Sparkle, I know what it’s like to go through change and try to hold onto what you know, only for it to slip away from your grasp. It is hard dealing in a world that you are no longer comfortable in,” Moon Melody noted, grimacing as she rubbed her chest again. Moon Sparkle nodded slowly. Moon Melody then turned to Flutter Moon.

“I know what it’s like to feel inadequate, like you are worthless and get in the way of others,” she assured as she placed a conforming hoof onto the timid pegasus’ shoulder. “If it wasn’t for Shining and Blue Moon who helped me through the forest and you, who nursed me back to nearly full health, I wouldn’t be standing here with you all. Don’t doubt your value if others see the best in you.” Flutter Moon looked up, meeting the kind gaze of Moon Melody.

The pink alicorn hobbled over and straightened the apple farmer’s stetson with her magic. “And I know what it feels like to be scared and confused about your name. Uncomfortable with what you are given and trying to hide away from others. Yet we can reject our initial feelings and move on. Push past first impressions and see what you can offer and help with.” Applejack Moon, touched by the gesture, placed a hoof to her heart and nodded before returning to her previous position.

Moving on, Moon Melody gave a lopsided but gentle smile to Dasher Moon. “I know how much it hurts to be rejected by your friends and those you considered to be family. And I understand your anger towards others, lashing out at those that may deserve it. Yet that’s exactly what Nightmare Moon wants us to be. She wants to divide us over the mistakes we’ve made. She wants confusion, strife, loneliness, and anger among those that may seek to oppose her.

“But we need to recognize those that we love, and those that love us,” continued Moon Melody, rubbing against a blushing Shining Moon. “Love must conquer what Nightmare Moon has used to keep us divided. Love must unite us against a threat that seeks to steal and destroy. And love will be what brings us together to shine light into this darker world.” She nuzzled Shining’s side before stepping away from him.

“I won’t forget you either, Blue Moon. You have shown bravery and taken on tasks a noble would have run from.” Moon Melody gave him a quick peck on the cheek. “You manage to keep calm when the situation is anything but. Thank you.” Now it was Blue Moon’s turn to blush at her words.

“And so, I plead with you all. Push past your differences, your blame. Stand strong against an enemy that may seem unbeatable. United, we can defeat her, divided we will lose without her so much as lifting a hoof,” stated Moon Melody sincerely, looking at all of them. “Now, who will--”

Yet before she could finish, a sharp rattle came from the front door of the cottage. “I thought you said we would be alone?” whispered Blue Moon, getting up from his chair. Shining Moon hushed him with a hoof and drew a knife from his belt.

“Hello?” came a muffled voice from the door, followed by more knocking.

“Flutter Moon, answer the door!” hissed Shining Moon as he readied himself for action. Hesitantly, the yellow pegasus inched over to the door and cracked it open.

“Yes, hello?” she said softly, looking at the intruder before gasping.

“Hey, Flutter Moon, it’s me, Spike. Is Moon Sparkle here? I think her sister said she was here for something, and I need to talk with her,” stated a young voice casually, attempting to peer inside Flutter Moon’s cottage.

“Oh um...” Not sure how to answer, Flutter Moon opened the door wider and looked back inside at her guests for support. However, one pony recognized the familiar voice and zealously pushed past Flutter Moon and tackled him.

“Spike, it’s so good to see that you’re alright!” exclaimed Shining Moon happily, tightly hugging his pseudo-brother. “I thought we would have to storm the castle to get you free! What happened?”

“S-Shining? What… why… how are you here? I thought…” mumbled Spike, dumbfounded.

“What’s going on out here?” “Hey, I know you!” “Spike?” came the jumbled voices of the many mares as they stepped out to inspect the newest arrival.

“Wait, why are you all here?” Spike asked as he looked around at the group, scratching his head in confusion.

“Erm, that's a little complicated,” replied Shining Moon hesitantly.

“And can be answered at another time. Please, Spike, come in. It seems that you came here for a reason, is that correct?” Moon Melody beckoned the group back into the cottage before closing the door.

“Uh, yeah, how did you know? I was looking to speak with Moon Sparkle. And--” began Spike.

“Hang on, how do you know all our names?” Shining Moon wondered.

“Wait, you were part of the renaming ceremony, weren't you! Do you know our previous names?” questioned Applejack Moon, hope in her voice as she pushed herself to the front of the group.

“What? Oh no, no, Queen Nightmare Moon wiped me of my memories too! I’m sorry, I only know your new names, not your old ones,” he answered dejectedly, before smiling. “But this is even better than I hoped! You are all here!”

“How did you even get here? Weren’t you in Canterlot?” asked Moon Sparkle.

“Lemme get to that. So, a few days ago, I had finally gotten some time to myself for some much needed R&R, when Dawn Lighter teleported me here in Ponyville! She had ransacked the library in search of a book and demanded that I get it for her. I think it was Predictions and Prophecies or something, anyway I found it and then she read it and teleported off in a hurry,” explained Spike and looked around at the circle of ponies watching with bated breath.

“The book sounds vaguely familiar. Why do you think she was interested in it?” Shining Moon implored as he leaned closer to the drake.

“I think… I think there might be a new prophecy.”