• Published 25th Nov 2020
  • 501 Views, 10 Comments

Victory Over the Light - Star_Shade



With Nightmare Moon now in power, what would it take to start a rebellion? How much are those that seek to dethrone the Queen willing to risk?

  • ...
1
 10
 501

Chapter [9] Change of status and change of time

“That’s horrible!” Twilight thought, disgusted as Dawn Lighter flipped through Biomancer’s Guide to the Flesh. The dark unicorn sat in her chamber, reading the book, thinking of potential uses of its dark secrets.

“Perhaps, but imagine the power that an individual would hold with that? Incredible,” murmured Dawn Lighter as she turned to the next page. Time seemed to slip away as she read. She had been perusing the many books that the restricted chamber had to offer. Several weeks had passed, and still her thirst for new knowledge grew as she frequented the secret chamber until one day she chanced upon Biomancer’s Guide to the Flesh. Fascinated by the potential life application, the mare had brought it back to her own room to study and examine.

“Miss Dawn Lighter, the queen would like to have a word,” called a hooded figure in her doorway, before swishing away into the darkness. Dawn Lighter’s face grew sour, the new guard always seemed to disappear into the night before she had gotten a good look at them. Storing the thought for later, the unicorn got up and placed the book in her saddlebag. She then quickly made her way to the queen’s quarters and entered after a single knock. Finding the room to be empty, Dawn Lighter peered around until she noticed that the queen was standing on the balcony. The dark monarch was staring into the beautiful night sky, looking up to her moon.

“Ah, Dawn Lighter, I am glad you received my summons,” began Nightmare Moon, not even turning from her position and beckoning her over with a hoof. “Come, sit.” Dawn Lighter hesitantly stepped over to the queen and perched next to her.

“You called for me, my queen?” asked Dawn Lighter, perplexed by her mistress’s serene state. Nightmare Moon sighed into the night’s cool air.

“I wish for your opinion on a matter. It seems that the nobles have grown restless with my moon. Unsatisfied by its position, they demand I move it, or at least give some balance so that they may tell time. At first I was able to stave off their desires, yet their nagging has persisted to the point of halting the night court’s progression,” explained Nightmare Moon with a huff.

“And are you inclined to humor their wants? If you succumb to this, what else may they try and force upon you? You alone control the moon, my queen, it is your decision to do with it as you please,” offered Dawn Lighter after a moment of thought, gesturing to the inhabitants below. “If you think it will make the ponies happy, then by all means. Perhaps offer them their passage of time, but only through the moon can they witness it.”

“Yes, only the moon,” stated the alicorn, as she closed her eyes in bliss. “I have an idea in mind, but it requires your help in the making. Are you willing?”

“Of course, my queen, I would lay down my life for you in a heartbeat,” Dawn Lighter said, bringing a hoof to her chest.

“Very well. Link your magic with mine. Channel your power into me, and I shall direct it upwards,” commanded Nightmare Moon, lighting her horn and encasing the moon with a soft glow. Power rushed through the dark alicorn as she wavered under the complexity of the spell. The queen was impressed by Dawn Lighter’s magic, feeling its full power wash over her and into the spell. Soon, the moon began to inch across the night’s sky, sluggishly throwing off the tether that Nightmare Moon had placed on it previously. “There. That should do it.” She gasped as she completed the spell. Dawn Lighter was breathing heavily as well, as she felt the aftereffects of the powerful magic wash over her.

Leaning her head over a rail, Nightmare Moon smiled at her ponies below. She watched as they pointed in the sky, cheering and clapping their little hooves as they watched the moon move through the night. “Now onto the other reason that I have called you here,” announced Nightmare Moon, turning back to Dawn Lighter. “Since a new prophecy has befallen us, I am placing you in charge of locating and eradicating any resistance that pops up. You will have full authority of the crown behind you in your actions, and I support and endorse any decision you make. That being to recruit ponies to your side in your endeavors, by whatever means necessary. I also offer you ponies that are already loyal to our cause, as I am sure you have seen a few already.”

“I am honored, Your Highness. If you do not mind me asking, why have you now placed this upon me?” wondered Dawn Lighter.

“Because I have attempted to make strategies of my own, but must also balance the responsibilities of being a ruler. Yet, under your care, I can oversee and offer assistance when needed rather than lead the investigation myself. Through you, we can achieve peace and prosperity among my little ponies. I want you to crush this prophecy and kill any thoughts of rebellion against me,” stated Nightmare Moon coldly.

“It will be done, my queen. You can rely on me.” Dawn Lighter nodded, grinning as thoughts of the book she had read earlier came to mind. Dastardly plans began to form as she considered what she could do next.


Dawn Lighter ran different schemes and ideas through her head as she made her way towards the Canterlot Library. First she wanted to see if there were any books that were similar to the one she already had by her side. Perhaps she could advance ponykind to the point that Nightmare Moon had first dreamed of, and she wanted to find all of the knowledge that could help her in that endeavor. Next she considered her mistress’s offer of assistance from those hooded guards that she had seen. Who were they, and how useful would they be in helping her? She also pondered what the queen meant when she said to recruit ponies to her cause.

Finally reaching the library, Dawn Lighter made her way towards where the hidden room was located. She was halfway there, when a small figure blocked her way. “Please, miss, can you help my mommy?” asked a surprisingly young voice below her, as a colt no older than maybe eight or nine tugged on her fetlock. Dawn Lighter attempted to turn away, yet the foal was persistent and latched onto her hoof. “Please, miss, she’s sick and isn’t feeling well and has to carry a lot of books. Can you help her, pretty please?”

“Moon Gnar, honey, where did you go?” came a nasally call of a mare as she stepped around a corner, weakly lumbering around with a large stack of books piled on her back. “There you are, I told you not too…” The mare gulped as she saw who her son was holding, and quickly did her best to bow before Dawn Lighter. “M-my apologies, esteemed one. My colt can b-be impulsive when he is trying to help.”

“It is fine,” stated Dawn Lighter, waving her hoof to try and dislodge the colt before noticing the state of the mare. It was strange, as the grey and green-coated unicorn seemed to emit a low glow from her body. Dawn Lighter recalled that the colt had said his mother was sick, but this seemed far stranger than any disease that she could think of. “If you don’t mind me asking, what ails you?” Dawn Lighter drew closer to take a better look.

“To be honest, we don’t know. My husband and I have contracted this illness together, and have been desperately searching for any potential cure in these books,” she said, beckoning to the pack on her back. She swayed slightly and opted to sit down with her heavy load. “Oh, where are my manners. My name is Moon Blossom, and this is my son, Moon Gnar.”

“Fascinating,” muttered Dawn Lighter, as she ran a quick spell over the mare. Tapping her chin in thought, Dawn Lighter withdrew the book she had been reading earlier with her magic and flipped through a few pages. Rereading a spot that came to her mind concerning this case, she traced the text until she found where she remembered reading about something familiar to this. Closing the book with a snap, Dawn Lighter nodded her head in satisfaction.

“What is it? Did that book have an answer?” wondered Moon Blossom, leaning closer to the book.

“Perhaps, I just have one question to ask. Were you or your husband sick when you came to the renaming ceremony?” queried Dawn Lighter, placing the book back into her saddlebag.

Moon Blossom had to think for a moment before answering. “In fact, I think we were, both he and I had the common cold. But what does that have to do with anything?”

“That’s probably the answer. It’s extremely rare, but it is possible for a spell to backfire and for the bacteria in your system to disrupt its process. I don’t have time to explain the science right now, but I suggest you and your husband be checking into the Royal Hospital. I will swing by sometime and explain to the doctors what to do,” offered Dawn Lighter, about to continue on her way.

“Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you! This sickness has been such a burden on our family. We’ve been under so much stress lately. I don’t know what I would do if something horrible befell our little colts. ” Moon Blossom sighed in relief.

“You promise you’ll come?” squeaked Moon Gnar, looking hopefully at Dawn Lighter.

“Yes yes, I promise. Now move aside, I have other business to attend to,” huffed Dawn Lighter. Overjoyed, Moon Gnar rushed up and hugged her leg, before Moon Blossom ushered him away.

“Thank you!” he exclaimed, waving at her as the two departed. Shaking her head and rolling her eyes, Dawn Lighter continued on her way, promptly forgetting about the promise she just made.


Meanwhile, a certain rainbow-maned pegasus had been dozing off on the upper levels of the library. The loud snap of a book awoke her as she yawned and stretched. She smacked her lips in thirst as she looked around her surroundings before recognition dawned on her. She was supposed to be keeping watch! Smacking herself, Dasher Moon fluttered her wings as she looked around. She let out a sigh of relief as everypony else seemed to be minding their own business, and all seemed calm. Had Flutter Moon come yet? How late in the night was it? Mentally berating herself, Dasher Moon looked down and spotted Dawn Lighter walking below her. She was supposed to warn Flutter Moon if she was here! Hyperventilating and not knowing what to do, Dasher Moon froze in shock as the dark unicorn below drew closer to the entrance.

Beneath, Dawn Lighter stepped towards the classified section confidently. Future plans in mind, the dark unicorn blinked in surprise as she noticed a pegasus leaving the secret chamber. “Guards! Thief!” she cried as she galloped over to the pony with her horn sparking. Immediately two hooded sentries stepped out of the shadows and stood in between the nervous yellow pegasus, blocking off her escape.

Flutter Moon jumped in surprise and looked about in panic for any way to flee. Dawn Lighter stepped closer and scrunched her face in disappointment at the timid mare as she drew closer. “Who are you, and why are you here? Wait, I know you…” Dawn Lighter said as recognition flashed over her features. “Flitter? No... Flutter Moon, was it?”

“Erm, I just stumbled upon it and was curious where it led,” offered Flutter Moon weakly, her worst nightmare playing in front of her as Dawn Lighter scowled.

“And you just happened to pick up a certain book, say Predictions and Prophecies, aye?” Dawn Lighter growled as she grasped the book that had been tucked underneath Flutter Moon’s wing. “Do you have anything to defend yourself?” Suddenly a rainbow swirl landed before the group, and the pegasus protectively flexed her wings in front of Flutter Moon.

“She didn’t do anything wrong!” exclaimed Dasher Moon in defense. “I pushed her to explore the room when I discovered it, and was too cowardly to do it myself. So I asked Flutter Moon to take a look instead.”

“I highly doubt that,” stated Dawn Lighter, narrowing her eyes and looming over the cyan pegasus. Turning to Flutter Moon, she pondered what needed to happen next. “Did you read anything in that book?”

“N-no,” mumbled Flutter Moon, shaking her head vigorously. The dark unicorn nodded, realizing the timid pegasus was telling the truth. “Very well. Take these two away. I will punish them later,” Dawn Lighter finished, beckoning the two guards to escort their prisoners away.