• Published 25th Nov 2020
  • 501 Views, 10 Comments

Victory Over the Light - Star_Shade



With Nightmare Moon now in power, what would it take to start a rebellion? How much are those that seek to dethrone the Queen willing to risk?

  • ...
1
 10
 501

Chapter [10] Trial of the Butterfly

Flutter Moon was quietly escorted to a holding cell. It was a small room with a simple metal bed and a tiny sheet of a mattress. A toilet in the corner, and a mirror against a wall facing towards the door. Shuffling over to the glass, Flutter Moon gazed into it. Her reflection stared back at her, haggard and fretful. It seemed like everything was falling apart. How long would she have to wait here? Should she tell the truth? How much of it? Would all of her friends be considered traitors?

With those thoughts eating away at Flutter Moon, she awkwardly paced around her cell. Opting to lie down on the bed, she stared at the designless ceiling. After what felt like an eternity, she finally heard the telltale sound of the lock tumbler sliding open. Stretching her legs, she looked over to the pony that entered and immediately shied from her gaze. Closing her eyes, she breathed in and out a few times to steady herself before opening them again. Facing her fears, Flutter Moon hesitantly stepped over to the waiting Dawn Lighter.

“So, you were found to be in the possession of the book of Predictions and Prophecies. Did you read any contents of the book?” asked Dawn Lighter coldy, not a hint of emotion in her words as she squinted at the squirming pegasus.

“No. I did not,” stated Flutter Moon, attempting to keep her voice steady.

“What were you going to do with the book? Why did you bring it out with you?” continued Dawn Lighter.

“Well… I remembered you had talked about--Er, the old you, that is, about the book before, and was curious about it now. I wanted to read it for myself, so that was why I brought it with me…” answered Flutter Moon diligently. Dawn Lighter’s face twitched at the mention of her past self. She scowled, staring down at the yellow mare.

“And that was all that you were doing there? How did you discover the place?” Dawn Lighter pressed on.

“I actually discovered it by accident.” Flutter Moon blushed. “I was perusing the sections when I stumbled upon it. Curious, I ventured further until I came across the bigger room. There I found the book lying on a table.”

“I am surprised you were able to get as far as you did and boldly chose to go down a place you presumably had no knowledge of in the first place. Why is that?” wondered Dawn Lighter, raising an eyebrow.

“I don’t know, I was just curious, I guess?” Flutter Moon shrugged, feeling her heart rate increase.

“Quite interesting indeed. Perhaps your compatriot will be as forthcoming as you are,” concluded Dawn Lighter, before leaving the room.


Dasher Moon glared at the door, not moving as she waited for Dawn Lighter to come. She was mentally kicking herself at her laziness and was desperately trying to think of a way out of their situation. Stupid Dasher Moon. You should have stayed more attentive, especially for Fluter Moon! Growling to herself, she tried to run scenarios in her head of what she wanted to say. That all went into shambles when Dawn Lighter strode in confidently.

“Is Flutter Moon alright?” sputtered the cyan pegasus.

“I will be the one who is asking questions here, not you. Tell me, why were you and Flutter Moon at the library today?” asked Dawn Lighter, looming over her.

“Well… Um…” Dasher Moon blanched. “I discovered the entrance, and Flutter Moon was with me, so I asked her to take a look while I watched for anypony to notice.”

You discovered it? Interesting. And how come you weren’t on the same floor as her when I found her leaving?” stated Dawn Lighter.

“I, uh… I wanted to get a better view! A higher vantage point to see if anypony was coming! Yeah,” declared Dasher Moon, rubbing her hooves.

“Well, it seems that your compatriot got a little too curious when it came to stealing that book. The law will decide the punishment for your crimes against the kingdom.”

“Crimes?! We haven’t broken any laws!” exclaimed Dasher Moon.

“The decision will be up to us. A court has been assembled for you two and will proceed in three hours. You and your compatriot will talk with a public interest lawyer beforehoof and establish your case,” finished Dawn Lighter before turning and leaving.


A few minutes later, Dasher Moon was moved into another room where she saw Flutter Moon talking with another pony. She quickly went over and hugged the shy pegasus. “Are you alright?” she asked.

“I am fine. Though things aren’t looking good for me,” mumbled Flutter Moon dejectedly.

“She’s right, Dawn Lighter gave me a list of the laws that you broke in your escapades,” stated the lawyer mare, indicating a scroll with her hoof.

“Is there anything we can do to get out of this? And are you with the…?” wondered Dasher Moon suspicion in her tone.

“Hello, my name is Frothic Moon. I am the lawyer assigned to assist the two of you in this case. Your case, Dasher Moon, will be easier for me to clear, since you haven’t done anything wrong. I can plead that you didn’t plan on doing anything and were simply curious. Flutter moon, on the other hoof, I am very worried about you,” started the unicorn mare, shaking each of their hooves. “She’s been charged with breaking and entering, stealing national security, criminal and specific intent, intentional conduct, and a few more terms that you probably won’t know or understand.”

“What are we planning on doing? You are helping us, right? asserted Dasher Moon.

“I am doing my best, but this is a pretty open-and-shut case. I can potentially worm you out of this, Dasher Moon, but I don’t think I can do anything for you, Flutter Moon.” Frothic Moon sighed.

“Should I immediately plead guilty to everything? I could accept whatever my sentence is,” proposed Flutter Moon.

“I wouldn’t recommend that. I can try my best to dismiss as many charges as possible, before you plead to anything,” countered Frothic Moon. “That's the only possibility I can offer you for now, unless by some miracle the queen presents something else.”

“Thank you so much for all that you have done for us,” murmured Flutter Moon graciously, her mind a bit worried at what the court had planned.

“I will go over the details of the court hearing and presentation, since most ponies don’t have much knowledge of the proceedings of the high court,” began Frothic Moon.


As the court was called into session, Flutter Moon could feel all eyes on her. Hundreds of ponies she didn’t recognize were staring at her. She retreated into her mane with a quiet eep. Some seemed sympathetic, while others were indifferent to her case. Flutter Moon turned back to face the judge podium. There, Queen Nightmare Moon sat, overlooking the event.

The whole process was more of a blur to Flutter Moon. Dawn Lighter would read the charges, Frothic Moon would do her best to try and gain some ground on her part, but every accusation was harder and harder to dismantle. When finally, the verdict was held. “All rise to hear the judgement of Flutter Moon,” commanded Nightmare Moon. As everyone rose, fear stabbed at Flutter Moon’s heart as she waited for the conviction. “Flutter Moon, I find you guilty with treason against the crown, possession of national security, and the intent of sharing said knowledge with others. Because of your crimes, I sentence you to a swift and painless death,” declared the queen. The crowd mumbled with surprise and fear, yet quickly quieted with a commanding stomp from the dark alicorn’s hoof.

“As for Dasher Moon, who was also at the scene of the crime," Nightmare Moon continued. "She is found guilty. Though she was not in possession of any illegal material, she attempted to abet the accused, lying in an attempt to convince the accuser. She also conspired with Flutter Moon and persuaded her to enter the restricted section. Dasher Moon will not suffer the same fate as Flutter Moon. Instead, she shall be exiled from Canterlot, stripped of her lunar heritage, and never to set hoof in this city again. This is my final verdict for both. Case closed.”