• Published 25th Nov 2020
  • 501 Views, 10 Comments

Victory Over the Light - Star_Shade



With Nightmare Moon now in power, what would it take to start a rebellion? How much are those that seek to dethrone the Queen willing to risk?

  • ...
1
 10
 501

Chapter [4] Battle between Horn and Blade

Being the bearer of bad news was never good, especially when it came to something that Silver Moon didn’t even understand. As a castle maid, Silver has diligently worked for Celestia for almost all of her life. In her humble status quo, she had been tasked to keep the castle in peak condition. Along with maids and butlers, she had been busying herself with preparation for the Summer Sun Celebration. But when that went to chaos, everything else seemed to follow. Thankfully she had been able to retain her position under Queen Nightmare Moon. She had been polishing a vase when a figure had snuck up behind her.

“I want you to give a message to the queen, ‘The three have escaped.’ Can you do that for me?” it had hissed in her ear, causing her to jump quite considerably. When she had turned around to face the intruder, he was nowhere to be seen. She gulped, losing control of her brush. As she bent down to pick it up, she contemplated whether or not to listen to the words. Maybe she had just imagined the voice. “Quickly now, no time for delay,” it hissed again, echoing all around her. Thoroughly spooked, the mare shakily looked around again before sprinting off in search of the queen.

Following the direction another maid had graciously provided her with, Silver Moon nosed open a door to find the pacing alicorn inside. Gulping again, the maid wondered what happened to those that had previously delivered bad news. Hesitation played across her mind again, and she was about to turn around and return to her station. Yet before she could, a wing slapped her flank and sent her forward into the room.

“Yes, what is it, maid? I had asked to not be disturbed,” stated Nightmare Moon, staring at her intently.

“Oh! Please forgive me, Your Majesty,” squeaked Silver Moon, bowing immediately. “B-but I had received a m-message from somepony. He said to t-tell you that ‘the three have escaped.’” The Queen seemed to ponder the statement for a moment before tossing her mane indifferently.

“Very well, thank you. You are dismissed,” the alicorn said, returning to her thoughts and leaving the other mare to quickly shuffle out the door. Nightmare Moon was impressed. So they have managed to evade one of my assassins. Perhaps Moon Melody was not as weak as I had first thought. “Canopus, you may step out now,” she called, turning to the figure that quickly revealed itself from the shadows. To the untrained eye, he seemed to have simply appeared from thin air.

“Yes, my Queen?” he declared, bowing.

“Next time, tell me yourself of your failures instead of sending a hapless mare in your wake. I do not treat failure as a death sentence, and I would like that you make that known amongst yourselves. However, I have two tasks for you,” began Nightmare Moon, stepping closer to him. “First, notify Valgro that a new hunt has begun. That should sate his desire for a good chase. I want him after the trio and to eliminate any threat they should pose. Second, I want you to locate Dawn Lighter and--”

“My Queen!” exclaimed Dawn Lighter, bursting through the doorway. Two sets of eyes immediately trained on her. She breathed deeply for a moment before relaxing her features. “I must speak with you urgently and privately.”

“Very well. Canopus, please complete the first task that I had given you. And don’t fail me again,” dismissed the dark alicorn, turning towards Dawn Lighter and pointing a hoof. “And what, pray tell, has got you so excited? And what do you have there?”

“I believe I have found something that could either spell our downfall, or secure our reign forever.”


All was calm in the Everfree Forest, if calm was a suitable word for such a vicious area. Eyes of various colors and sizes kept watch over their respective domains. Any creature that crossed those boundaries was either eaten or brutally torn apart. There was a balance of both peace and chaos around the region, as few of the stronger animals dared challenge each other. However, on this particular day, that balance was broken. A surprisingly bright light illuminated a patch of grass, displacing three bodies on the ground.

Shining Moon was the first on his hooves, checking around the area for any potential enemy. Satisfied that there was no immediate danger, he returned to find Blue Moon shaking his mane free of loose dirt and checking to make sure his hooves had stayed in peak condition. Rolling his eyes at the former prince's antics, Shining Moon drew closer to the heaving form of Moon Melody. He ignited his horn and ran a much more extensive scan, slowing the flow of her blood and checking for any other internal bleeding.

“Whoa, what a doozy. You sure got us out of there lickety split, Moon Melody,” stated Blue Moon, inspecting his surroundings. “Where do you think we are?”

“I don’t know yet, but keep quiet and help me pull out this bolt. Once it's out, I can heal her better without any more tissue damage,” remarked Shining Moon as he braced his hoof against the prone body of the pink alicorn. “Now, when I say pull, I want you to take it out. I will keep her insides from resisting and make sure nothing breaks off. Got it?”

“I-I don’t think I am really qualified for that kind of--” began Blue Moon, his eyes growing wider at the blood that now coated Shining Moon’s hooves.

“Trust me, I am doing all the hard stuff. Just pull. It’s easy, okay?” Shining Moon said again.

“I-I, what if I mess up or pull too fast or too slow or in the wrong direction or--” mumbled Blue Moon as he shook his head and leaned away.

“No, you will do fine. Just do it nice and smoothly, okay?” assured Shining Moon as he beckoned the other stallion to sit. “Alright. One, two, three!” And with a sickening squelch and a moan from Moon Melody, the arrow was pulled free. Quickly dressing the wound in magic, Shining Moon began to knit some of the flesh together so that she wouldn’t bleed out.

“I was never good at this, and Moon Melody is going to tan my hide as soon as she finds out how messed up her coat is now. But no matter. She’s alive now and resting. That’s all that matters.” Shining Moon sighed, placing her sleeping form to the ground before standing up. “Our next priority is to find civilization and see if--”

“Is that a good idea?” cut in Blue Moon, tapping his chin in thought. “I mean, if we appear in some town, we’ll attract attention? We would definitely be killed in our sleep. Maybe somewhere more quaint?”

“I… well, hmm,” began Shining Moon, trying to rack his brain for a stable defense, but coming up empty. “You know, you are right. For a snobbish noble I had presumed you too be, you can have some pretty decent ideas once in a while.”

“Not all nobles are power- and money-hungry jerks that only want to please themselves. And I do have my moments.” Blue Moon winked, giving Shining Moon a signature smile before taking another look around. “How deep do you think we are in this forest?”

“Good question, let's find out,” announced Shining Moon dryly, beginning to scale a nearby tree. Shimmying to the top, he was met with multiple leaves to the face. Pushing past more of the foliage, he was finally able to stand somewhat balanced above the treeline. Peering around, he noted the distinct outline of smoke in the distance, as well as an opening between the trees that probably signified a river. Dropping back down to the ground, he dusted himself off.

“See anything useful?” wondered Blue Moon.

“Nope, we are completely and truly lost in an endless sea of trees. We must now fight for survival in this new and infinite wilderness of wood and grass,” deadpanned Shining Moon. Blue Moon simply raised an eyebrow.

“I didn’t know that the royal guard had a sense of humor. I thought you all had to remain calm and stoic, unfazed by the potential danger around you,” quipped Blue Moon. “Maybe we both judged each other too quickly. Since it seems like we are about to spend a whole lot of time together, shall we start over?” He offered a hoof. Shining Moon bumped it with his own.

“Now then, what are we going to do with Moon Melody? Do you think she can walk?” Blue Moon turned his gaze to the mare.

“Well, she should…” began Shining Moon, before swiftly moving to her side and inspecting her muzzle. He swore loudly. “This is not good.”

“What, what is it?” wondered Blue Moon as he took note of the green and blue trails of… something running down Moon Melody’s mouth. Shining Moon simply shook his head in anger.

“She's been poisoned.”


Seven days. That had been the allotted time Nightmare Moon had given her greatest assassin. And Valgro was up for the hunt. He lived for the chase, to pursue a target and claim his victory as the greatest tracker and killer. All that he had to do to impress his Queen was to bring back a trophy, whether that be a horn, wing, or something else of his liking. Valgro didn’t care too much for trophies though. Useless artifacts that collected dust. They did little in strengthening him against newer and more challenging adversaries.

Regardless, he was on the move again. This moment, the stalking of his prey, was what he lived for. He already wasted one day tracking down a unicorn who then helped pinpoint the magical residue that matched Moon Melody’s. After being given a rough estimate area, he had simply jumped into the air, deciding to fly his way to this ‘Everfree Forest’ and begin his chase. Another day had been spent traversing the countryside towards his destination. A forest was one of his favorite regions to track in, with a lush environment and easy spots to hide. Plus the constant noise of critters would help mask his pursuit.

He had been notified that one of the trio had been hit with a poisonous dart. It’d most likely slow his prey and give him plenty of time to find the best killing spot. Few knew of the poisonous Targelas plant, and fewer knew of its origin from the San Palomino Desert and its antidote. Thus, Valgro was confident that at least one of his targets would go down without a problem, though he wished she would have been slain at his hooves. Regardless, the other two stallions would most likely hold a burial for the pink alicorn, further slowing their progress and increasing his chances of killing them.

Sweeping through the forest on the third day, Valgro wiped a bead of sweat that had formed on his forehead. He had picked up their tracks an hour ago and was surprised to find only two sets of hooves. Had the pink one already died off, and they had simply buried her and moved on? It was a conclusion he made, until he noted a feather caught between a brush four hours later. Sniffing it hesitantly, he figured that they were carrying their fallen friend through the trees. He smiled as he now knew that it would slow their company even more, he doubled his pace.

Three hours later, he huffed as he realised that his prey too had increased their speed. At this rate he wouldn’t be able to reach them until the end of this day, and he hated delays. Surprisingly though, he came across fresh tracks that gave him pause. A third party had met with the trio, and it seemed that this pony was much better at masking its trail. Scratching his head at who this new mysterious pony was or what they were doing in the forest. Had a hiker or explorer come across his prey by chance, deciding to assist them? Or had they coordinated with somepony ahead of time to meet up with once they had reached a particular spot? If so, he would have to prepare himself in case his target had placed a trap ahead.

More confusion fell upon him as he bent down to inspect more tracks which showed the trio deviate from their original direction. Unsheathing a knife, Valgro prepared himself for what lay ahead. Something didn’t sit right in his mind, and the cold feeling of steel against his flesh calmed his nerves. Another fresh pair of tracks signified that they were not far off. He was close, he could feel it. Now he needed to find the best spot to kill them.

Obviously the ponies suspected nothing, it seemed they didn’t even bother to mask their journey. It was like they almost wanted to be found, but Valgro knew they weren’t smart enough for that. Though his confidence was beginning to break as he found himself walking along a path. And if there was a path, there definitely would be civilization. He was quite surprised, thinking no sane creature would live in such a bleak and eerie forest, but to each their own. Yet this made his job even harder. If there was a town ahead, he wouldn’t be able to blend in with the small populace.

He decided to deviate from the path, it would be too easy for his prey to simply turn around and discover him. He stayed well back from the clear walkway, but never truly lost sight of it either. Eventually, he came to a bigger clearing, where he noticed a quaint home built into a tree. Various vines hung from the branches, supporting vases and jugs of different sizes. Moving closer to hear, he picked up three distinct voices talking. He raised an eyebrow as he listened to one individual that seemed to rhyme with each sentence. Certainly an interesting way to converse. He shrugged before choosing to draw farther away.

He scoped out the surrounding area and noted quite a few particular spots that caught his eyes. The small hut had numerous patches nearby devoted for different uses. One section it seemed was dedicated to growing a small garden, which yielded quite a variety of vegetables. Another place he focused on was another building. Cocking his head, he attempted to figure out its purpose before shrugging and labeling it a greenhouse or something else. Nothing that seemed to be of use to him, and he wasn't here to congratulate a pony on surviving in a forest.

Moving on, he began to draw a mental map, taking note of different tree patterns and looking for a potential spot to strike the small party. Confident that he had the upper hoof, he wanted to make sure he picked the best place to hide and wait. Positive that he had stayed hidden behind them, Valgro smiled at another job well done. And though he had successfully stayed concealed against his targets, the forest had not missed him. And its inhabitants had been quick to announce his presence to their caretaker, a certain exotic zebra.


“Is he gone? Why don’t we chase him off now?” wondered Blue Moon as he peered out a window. The two stallions had been seated on two cushions, facing their host who was busy concocting a potion.

“Patience, my friend, finish the drink I gave to calm your nerves. In due time my brew will be complete, and then we will soon deal with what that pony deserves,” hummed the zebra as she continued to mix and add different powders and ingredients.

“Can you save her, Arocez? I won’t be able to forgive myself if I brought her all this way and she died. I knew I should have double-checked the perimeter before we left,” mumbled Shining Moon, continuing to sip his tea.

“I assure you the cure can be found. But the antidote is not something we simply find on the ground. Yet we must deal with our outside enemy first,” replied Arocez, stepping away from her pot. “You two must defeat him, then Moon Melody can be properly nursed.”

“Us? How are we supposed to defeat a trained assassin?” exclaimed Blue Moon, aghast. “I am a noble, not a killer.”

“But I think when it comes down to it, we might have to kill him anyway. What if he escapes? He will come back and bring reinforcements. If he succeeds, then we will all be dead,” muttered Shining Moon, shaking his head.

“You can’t be serious!” continued Blue Moon, stomping a hoof in agitation.

“Deadly.” Shining Moon sighed, bringing his hoof up to rub his forehead. “I mean, what choice do we have? It’s either us or him. When I was captain of the guard, I had to make these hard decisions. Now we have little to no choice.”

“I do not support the ending of any creature's existence, and I hope you may find an alternative way. But I fear we have little time, as Moon Melody will not survive another day,” stated Arocez, downcast.

“Very well, goodbye, Arocez. Thank you for your hospitality. Keep her safe for me, if I do not return,” declared Shining Moon, drinking the last of his tea and exiting the house. Blue Moon followed close behind a little more hesitantly.


The two stallions walked quietly through the forest. One was contemplating if he could really do it, be personally involved in ending another pony’s life. The other strode in determination, willing to do anything for Moon Melody. Previously the two had decided to take on their pursuer on open ground. They had been notified that the nearest clearing was southwest, towards the Ghastly Gorge.

“Arocez said that a potential cure could be found near one of the hills towards the Ghastly Gorge,” stated Shining Moon sincerely, hoping that he was loud enough to alert the assassin that they were on the move.

After two hours of trudging in that direction, they came clear of the treeline and viewed the hills before them. Shining Moon was surprised to find Blue Moon pointing him towards a direction. “If I remember my geography right, there should be train tracks this way. We can make our stand there, and he won’t be able to take us by surprise,” he stated.

“Good idea,” confirmed Shining Moon. The two diverged in that direction. The rusted rails came into view as the stallions reached the crest of another hill. Long ago, there was a giant bridge spanning the gorge so that the railway could pass smoothly around the edge of the Everfree and into Appleloosa and Dodge city. The bridge still stayed well-maintained, with only the cracked paint hinting at its age.

Stopping about an eighth of the way across, the two sat and mentally prepared for their enemy. They didn’t have to wait long, as a prone figure stepped over the same hill, coming into view. “So! You have decided to fight me on your own terms, ey? No matter! The Queen will be happy to know I finished you off quickly and efficiently this night. One week was too generous of her to give me to find you!” called their adversary as he calmly walked towards the two.

“You sure speak a lot for somepony hidden behind a hood!” retorted Shining Moon, digging a hoof into the wood below him and moving into a battle stance. The hooded figure simply shrugged and charged. Both Shining and Blue Moon ignited their horns, prepared to fight with only magic by their side. Yet the assassin was more prepared than them, with many razor sharp knives at his disposal. Valgro had decided to take out the weaker of the two, sending two blades through the air to impale Blue Moon’s chest. The stallion had been able to flick away the first, but the second had landed home. Dropping to his knees, he yanked out the knife and covered the wound with a hoof before toppling to the floor.

“I am impressed, being able to throw knives like that requires much honed skill. But are you able to fight off a unicorn that has had years to deal with your kind?” announced Shining Moon as the two began to circle each other. Valgro was the first to strike, sending another three blades into the air. Shining Moon flicked the first two, before dodging the third and charging the pony. His hooded opponent simply jumped into the sky, sending another two blades down. Yet Shining was ready, twisting out of the way and sending one of the knives back to its thrower.

Surprised by his enginuity, Valgro dove to the ground before launching a few more knives into the air. “How many of those do you have!” exclaimed Shining Moon, wiping away blood from a gash across his muzzle.

“As many as it takes to bring you down!” yelled Valgro, sending six more. Shining Moon wasn’t able to dodge them all. One sunk into his shoulder, another sliced across his front leg. If he didn’t finish this fight soon, he wouldn’t be able to walk away even if he did win. Briefly glancing over the edge, an idea began to form in his head as he raised two knives into a defensive position.

After a few more bouts, the two momentarily paused and both nursed their wounds. “How… about...” huffed Shining Moon as he gritted his teeth, placing a third healing spell upon himself, “...we just fight like real stallions, no weapons, no magic, just you and me with our hooves?” He hoped his adversary would take the bait, or else they both would die that day.

After a pregnant minute, Shining Moon feared his opponent would refuse and send another knife. “Very well,” the hooded figure said, raising his head and shrugging off his robes. “Few have seen my body and lived. And I hope to keep it that way. You have proved to be a formidable foe.” The pony was unlike anything that Shining Moon had seen before. A dark pony stood before him. At first Shining had mistaken him for a standard pegasus. However, instead of feathery appendages, thin, leathery wings protruded from his back. He glared at Shining with strange slitted pupils and bared his dark fangs. Numerous scars plagued his torso and chest, previous victories embellished onto his frame.

The two circled each other again, albeit much slower and both limping. This time though, Shining Moon chose to spring forward first, hoping to pin down his target. The darker pony slipped from his grasp and attempted a swift right hook to the jaw. Rubbing the pain away, Shining Moon switched tactics, sweeping the other pony’s hooves from under him and sending him sprawling. He followed up with a tackle from above, the two wrestled around on the ground.

Slowly pushing towards the edge, Shining Moon noticed a fallen knife to his right. Pushing with all his willpower, he brought the knife over with his magic and plunged it into his opponents wing, making a deep gash across its base. “Cheater!” cried Valgro, but it was too late. He was launched over the edge of the bridge.

Letting go of the blade, Shining Moon collapsed to the floor, breathing heavily as he tried to cover up his wounds. He had done it, he had won. But could he keep going in this state? His mind began to fade. He chuckled to himself. Was this his end? Dying forgotten in the middle of nowhere?

Yet as he began to close his eyes, one image pushed itself to the front of his mind. It was Moon Melody, smiling at his silly antics as he had brought her flowers on a whim. The other guards had pressured him into trying something as they too wanted to try to score the princess of love. Slowly that imagine burned within his mind, awaking a second wind in him as he shrugged off the cold tendrils of death. No, he would not die today, not like this, not this far away from his love. Getting up, he stumped a couple times before moving over to the fallen prince, nudging him with a hoof. The other unicorn groaned in pain before opening his eyes to look at Shining Moon. “Yeesh, you look terrible,” he mumbled, raising an eyebrow.

“Get up, I need you to help support me back to Arocez’s hut,” muttered Shining Moon, kicking the prone form.

“Did you get him?” Blue Moon asked as he moaned in pain, slowly getting up and looking around.

“No thanks to you though. But yeah, sent him over the edge and cut his wing. Nothing survives that fall,” declared Shining Moon, peering over the side. The two supported each other and began to limp back to the forest.

“Do you think Arocez has something that would keep my mane in pristine condition?” pondered Blue Moon after a moment. The other stallion just shook his head in amusement.

Down below, a broken, mangled, but very much alive pony began to slide its body across the floor of the gorge, cursing revenge on the pony that had ended his hunt.