• Published 31st Aug 2012
  • 7,348 Views, 566 Comments

PonyFall: Leather and Lace - Dusty the Royal Janitor



It was another one of those days. You know the type... the kind where an omnipotent tomfool decides

  • ...
20
 566
 7,348

Ch9: Friends will be Friends


I called Triple-A to come and help us pull Elvira’s rear out of the cornfield. She was fully functional and, save for some easily fixable superficial damage, the only problem was the shredded tire. That was phenomenal given what she had just been through. By all rights, everything should have gone a whole lot worse. My arm wasn’t exactly in a state to change a tire myself, though, and I doubted that Rarity would know how to put the spare on. Even if she did, she wasn’t exactly in a proper state either. I cleaned up the mess in the passenger seat with some napkins from the glove compartment and then went to bandage up my arm with a first aid kit from the trunk. I may have been a crap Scout back in the day, but I still remembered to be prepared for a few things.

The two of us sat on the grass by the side of the road out in the rain. The violent storm had died down into nothing more than a light drizzle. Rarity was hunched over, her knees to her chest and wrapped up in the blanket. Meanwhile, I was going at my arm with a pair of tweezers, wincing and grunting from the pain. The bleeding wasn’t particularly bad, astonishingly enough. I’d bled worse one time when I cut my thumb on a piece of jagged metal. It hurt a hell of a lot more than any other cut I’d had though. It didn’t feel like there was anything broken, but I could feel the intruding pebble lodged in there. I could go to a hospital later if I really felt like I needed it, but for now I just wanted to get the wound properly cleaned and bandaged and a new tire on my car so we could get home.

I fumbled with the tweezers, not used to doing delicate work with my left hand, until I finally managed to grab onto something. My stomach twisted at the sight of pulling a stone right out of my own body. It was a tiny thing, only about the size of my little fingernail. It was crazy how dangerous it was when it got caught in hundred-fifteen mile-an-hour winds. I tossed the pebble away and put the tweezers aside, trading them for some disinfectant. I dabbed it at the wound, applying some styptic and then bandaged it up with a roll of cloth.

The wound taken care of for the time being, I replaced the first aid kit and stepped over to Rarity. I sat down next to her, putting my uninjured arm on her shoulder. I didn’t say anything; I wasn’t exactly sure what to say. A few moments later, Rarity shrugged her shoulder away from me.

I sighed. On the one hand, I felt practically invincible. Barring my aching, tingling arm, I was on top of the world. I’d just outrun a twister; one of my longest, deepest childhood fears. In a sense, I’d definitively proven to myself that they weren’t worth fearing and that I could beat them as long as I had enough moxie and a reliable car.

At the same time, though, I felt entirely helpless. I couldn’t stand to see Rarity like this. I had promised to help her find her friends and get home. But my attempts to do so had, in less than a day, done little more than probably crush her hopes of finding her friends again, and led her right into the heart of a deadly storm.

I leaned against the car, massaging my temples with my good hand. I couldn’t believe how fast my attempts to help Rarity had fallen apart. I mean, what were the odds that of all things a tornado would drop out of the sky directly on top of us? While I was carrying an interdimensional alien in the car, no less? At the exact time when we were at our least prepared? It almost seemed too good to be a coincidence. I shrugged it off though. After all, that’s exactly what a coincidence is. And pondering over the freak storm wasn’t going to help us move forward any.

I glanced over at Rarity, who still sat there with her knees to her chest. There had to be some way to make this better, but how I could do so eluded me. What could I say or do to fix this?

Well for starters, you could ask her what’s wrong in the first place, dummy, I thought to myself.

I took another step back towards Rarity, clearing my throat. “Rarity?” I started. “What’s got you down?” It was a stupid question, admittedly. She was in about as bad a situation as she could be in. Still, maybe if she vocalized what was bothering her it’d be a good step towards making her feel better about it. Help her get it off her chest, you know?

Rarity, on the other hand, didn’t seem particularly on board with my plan at the moment. She didn’t say anything, instead opting to turn her head away from me in silence.

“Rarity,” I sighed, “I can’t help you if you don’t talk to me.”

The purple-haired girl chuckled darkly. “Help me? Very droll, William.”

I blinked. “What do you mean?”

She turned her head toward me, giving me an askance look. “I’m sure you know. You needn’t try to hide it anymore.”

“Hide what?” I was genuinely perplexed.

Rarity rolled her eyes at me in response. “You can’t exactly help the dead, William.”

I took another step forward, cocking an eyebrow. “You think you’re... dead?” I shook my head. “Rarity, we made it out of the Twister. We’re fine! Incredibly lucky, actually.”

“Don’t be so dense, William,” she snapped at me, making me take a step back. “The twister didn’t do us in. We’ve been dead all along. I take it you just haven’t realized it yet.”

“Rarity,” I said slowly. “What are you trying to say?”

She stood up very suddenly, throwing her arms in the air and whipping around on me in fury. “Is it not obvious, William? How can you not tell where we are? How could you not have figured it out, especially since you’ve apparently been here much longer than me?!”

I paused. She was starting to sound more than a little off kilter. “Rarity, I already told you. You jumped realities.”

“Oh and doesn’t that just sound so plausible?!” Rarity snapped. “Reality jumping. Bah! That sounds like something from one of Rainbow Dash’s science-fiction books.”

“Rarity, you need to calm down,” I said, starting to feel a little annoyed myself.

“Calm down?!” Rarity shouted, advancing upon me. “Tell me, how am I supposed to calm down?! I’ve been ripped from my home and twisted into some flat faced monkey minotaur! Everypony I’ve met here so far save for you has been an utter brute. I’ve been separated from my friends and family, and Celestia knows what they’re going through. I’m told that my entire life has been little more than a broadcast cartoon. I’ve been shown images of myself engaging in horrendous acts with friends and complete strangers. And the moment it seems like there’s a glimmer of hope on the horizon, a cyclone drops upon me! Tell me just how, dear William, I’m supposed to be calm right now?!” Rarity panted heavily, her tirade coming to a close.

My eye twitched. “What does any of that have to do with me?” I said, trying to stay calm. “I’ve been trying to help you through all of that. Why are you taking it out on me?”

“Because,” Rarity began, her teeth gritting, “I’ve either never met a pony so dense as you are, or I’ve never met such an astoundingly silver-tongued liar!”

“Now that’s just not fair,” I said, my voice raising a little. “I may not have all the answers, and I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I’ve been doing my best!” I waved my bum hand towards the sky. “And heck, I just outran a friggin’ tornado! With a rock lodged in my arm no less!”

“And it doesn’t even matter in the slightest, William!” Rarity snarled.

“How can you say that?!” I shouted, that comment finally making me lose my temper. “I’ve been nothing but nice to you since you got here, and there were a lot of times that I could have lost it before now. How about when you hit me in the face? Or when you puked all over me? Or when you jumped on my computer without permission? Or when you hit me in the face again? How about just now when you pissed all over my car?” Rarity’s eyes widened in rage at that, but I wasn’t finished yet. “But I’ve been nothing but nice to you, and now you’re calling me either stupid or a liar! What have I done to deserve that?

Rarity growled in my face. “You should have to be pretty stupid to not figure out where we are!”

“Where are we, Rarity?!” I yelled. “Tell me where you think we are.”

The dam finally broke. “We’re in HELL!” Rarity screeched, the dam finally breaking. Tears rolled down her face as I stepped back in shock, my anger dissipating.

“W-what?” I stammered.

“We’re in Hell!” Rarity sobbed. “I... I died back there, in the fight with Discord. That blast of energy... or maybe it was when I hit my head on the rock, I don’t know. I died, and I was sent to Tartarus!” The poor girl collapsed to her knees and sobbed into her hands.

“Rarity...” I said softly, bending down onto one knee.

“I’ll never see m-my friends or my sister again. I don’t know if they died as well or if I’m all a-alone here. If they’re here, surely they must be going through the same sort of thing I am. And I don’t want that. They don’t d-deserve that.” She sniffled. Tears were flowing freely down her face in small rivers. “I j-just want to see my sister again. I just want to see Twilight and Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash and Applejack and Pinkie Pie again. I want to see my parents and Opal again. But now, I’m caught in this hellish nightmare with no escape!”

I put my arms around her, ignoring the sharp pins and needles that went through my injured arm. “Rarity, shhhh...” I said, trying to console her. She kept going, though.

“And n-now I’m doomed to have to deal with... with who-knows-what every day for the rest of my unlife! Boorish folk and twisters and frightening imagery can only be the tip of the iceberg!

“And you!” Rarity continued, somehow giving me a dirty look through the tears. “I don’t even know what to make of you. You act all gentlemanly one moment and then start belting out the foulest language the next. You tell me that this place isn’t terrible and show me wonders like your ‘car’ over there one moment, and then bring me to terrible ponies and drag me into terrifying forests and storms the next! What am I to make of you?!”

I cleared my throat. “Rarity, please.”

Rarity shook her head. “I can’t keep this up, William. I can’t take this. I’m not strong enough to take any of this! I’ve only been here a day, and look at what I’ve been reduced to!” she said, motioning to herself. “I’m an ugly, flabby, flat-faced, mutant thing that was found in a ditch, covered in mud and grime, dressed in the worst clothes, and crying like a mere foal! Only two days ago, I was a respected fashionista with a life, friends, and a career. I had a place to live, a family that loved me and a future to look forward to! Now all of that has been taken from me and more!” She shifted, bringing her knees to her chest again. “I can’t imagine what things will be like for me in a week. Let alone the rest of eternity. What else can this be but Hell for everything to completely fall apart on me so utterly?” Finally, her tirade seemingly done, she broke down into unintelligible sobs again.

I sat there for a while with her, taking a seat next to her. I knew when somebody needed a good cry. I’d needed one or two in my lifetime myself. She continued to sob for another ten minutes or so, when her weeping started to turn into sniffling and reason started to reassert itself in her brain. “Any better?” I asked softly.

She nodded, her nose still running and her eyes still red and puffy, but the tears no longer actively falling.

“Alright.” I said, “I don’t know how I can convince you that I’m not some spirit in denial of my own death or some silver-tongued demon or anything.” I sighed. “But I will say this: there is no way somebody like you would ever be sent to Hell or Tartarus or the Pit or anything like that.”

Rarity sniffled and looked at me with her big blue eyes. I continued. “You’re sitting here, and you have every right to feel sorry for yourself. And naturally you do, but first and foremost in your thoughts is your friends and family. You worry for Sweetie Belle and the other Elements of Harmony and Cutie Mark Crusaders. I don’t see how a person who loves their family and friends so much could ever be sent to such a place. Certainly not with everything they’ve done for their world.”

I wrapped an arm around her shoulder again. “You’re a good person who’s been put in a really bad situation. It happens. It happens far too often. And no, it isn’t fair, and yes, a lot of bad things have been happening really fast.”

“It’s a big, crazy, chaotic world out there,” I went on. “Bad things happen. I know you’ve experienced your share of crazy, bad things back in Ponyville, am I right?”

I expected her to nod and agree with me. I didn’t expect the shudder she gave as well. “Yes...” she answered softly. “Some very bad things happened in Ponyville from time to time.”

“Earth is much the same,” I said. “Good things happen and bad things happen. A lot of it is left up to chance. We’ve just been rolling nat-1’s for the past day or so.”

Rarity looked up at me. “What does that-” she started but I cut her off.

“It’s not important,” I said. “The point is that you’re not in so different a place. There are dangers here just as there were dangers there. You’ve just had a bad first day,” I said, standing up. “And let me tell you this,” I continued, reaching down a hand to help her up to her feet. She took it cautiously. “You are strong. You are not weak in the least. A weak person would have just laid down and died. A weak person would not have been able to handle being carted to a whole new world in the first place. You, on the other hand, braved that new world, all in an attempt to find your friends. That’s not the mark of a weak person. That’s a strong one.” I patted her arm.

“And for the record,” I said, starting to finish up, “even covered in grime, you make for a very pretty flat-faced mutant thing.” Rarity chuckled at the joke. I smiled. “Things look bad now, I’m sure. But it’s not all so bleak.”

Rarity smiled for a moment, but her face slowly fell. “But... how can I know?” she asked. “How can I know for sure if I’m really...?” she trailed off.

I shook my head. “I can’t say that for sure. Heck, philosophers for eons have been wondering if we truly exist or if life is merely an illusion. And with everything you’ve said, I suppose there’s no way to definitively prove that you’re not in some hell dimension or something like that.” I put my hand on her cheek. “I suppose all I can tell you is to have a little trust.”

“You mean...” she started to ask.

“I’m not necessarily talking about in me,” I said, shrugging. “I suppose after all that’s happened, I can’t blame you if you don’t trust me. I’ve been trying to help, but admittedly so far I’ve done a pretty piss poor job at it.

“I’m telling you to trust in yourself,” I said slowly. “You have five great friends, seven counting the princesses, a wonderful family, and a lot of strength. You built yourself up from nothing and made your mark on the world. You’ve got the brains to outsmart a gang of diamond dogs and the guts to kick a manticore in the face. You are NOT weak,” I declared. “You’re an Element of Harmony. You’re a sixth of a magical artifact that I could only speculate about. And I meant what I said back in the woods. I can’t even begin to imagine how the Elements of Harmony work and I wouldn’t be surprised at all if a portal opened and your friends stepped through it at any time. Or if they are here on Earth, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if you soon find yourself together with them again.”

“But...” Rarity said, still uncertain, “But what if they don’t turn up?”

“If they don’t turn up then you’ll make the best of it that you possibly can,” I said with finality. “Like I said, Rarity: you’re strong. The moment you find your footing and learn how it works here you’ll take this world by storm. I know you can do it. I trust that you can do it. But you need to trust yourself, or it’ll never happen.”

Rarity sighed. “I’ve always had my friends to help me before, though. Now I don’t have anypony.”

“I resent that,” I said, cocking an eyebrow. “I may not be a pony, and I may be a boob sometimes, but I hope that I’ve at least made some sort of impression upon you.”

She chuckled, “I suppose you have.” Rarity said, letting out a breath. “Thank you, William.”

“Feeling any better?” I asked.

The girl before me nodded. “Somewhat. I shall... require some time,” she said slowly. “Thank you though. I think I can go on now.”

“That’s all I needed to hear,” I said, stepping forward and hugging her gently. She smiled and returned the hug, finally relaxing a little. We stayed there for a few moments not saying anything, the crushing weight of the world finally off of our shoulders.

"Oh, but William, dear," Rarity said, turning to face me. "Should you ever find it necessary to reveal to anyone the details of my, ahem, accident in your car..." Her eyes narrowed. "Well, let's just say that you're right. I did kick a manticore in the face.”

Rarity smiled at me sweetly. I crossed my legs.

Author's Note:

Boy, I've been using a lot of Queen in this story. Then again, save for Meat Loaf, they are my favorite musical artist.

Man, this chapter kicked my ass. I wanted to make sure that there was a sufficient cooldown after the last chapter, but getting it to work at all right was really really difficult. It was also difficult to balance the serious, legitimate trauma of that chapter with the hamminess and overdramaticism of Rarity's character. It was a fine line between too hammy, rediculous and over the top, and not hammy and over the top enough for Rarity. I think I managed to get it to work out pretty well in the end, but I'd be interested to know what y'all think.

So, anyway, this is the slow chapter after the big blowout of the last one. Rarity's not 100% yet. This sort of thing can't be fixed with just one cheesy, sappy speech. She'll still be feeling this for a while yet, but at least she still has the strength to go on now, eh?

Anyway, that's that for this chapter. Hope y'all enjoy and stick around for the next one! :raritywink: