• Published 31st Aug 2012
  • 7,328 Views, 566 Comments

PonyFall: Leather and Lace - Dusty the Royal Janitor



It was another one of those days. You know the type... the kind where an omnipotent tomfool decides

  • ...
20
 566
 7,328

Ch4: Everything You Know is Wrong

I sat at the kitchen table, eating my Subway sandwich. It had gotten cold since I bought it a few hours ago, but it was still plenty edible. It was a good sandwich really. One of their Italian BMT’s but modified to my preferences. I had them load it full of black olives and ranch dressing. It was a salty, savory light in the darkness that was sure to come once the woman across the table from me finished up that episode she was watching.

Across from me, Rarity sat, wide eyed and seemingly struggling to breathe as she watched the episode of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic that I had put on for her. I sighed, wishing that there had been some way to break the show to her in a less world-shattering fashion. Honestly though, how do you break the news that the entire world you’ve always known is a children’s cartoon watched by five year old girls and a bunch of twenty-something males? That’s going to be pretty heavy no matter how you spin it.

Besides, she was about to break my face if I didn’t give her an answer immediately.

Luckily, I had a plan. There was a way I could spin the explanation that would hopefully make it so that her entire world didn’t come crashing down on her. It was complicated and involved tons of probably-inaccurate assumptions about quantum physics and parallel universes and alternate timelines and the sixth dimension and other impressive-sounding things that I didn’t understand at all, filtered through a fair bit of comic book logic, which ironically makes more sense than any of the actual things quantum physicists deal with.

In short, I was going to tell her about the multiverse theory as I had rationalized it. For all I knew I was completely wrong, but if anything Rarity’s presence here suggested that I was at least somewhat right.

I watched Rarity as I finished off my sandwich. I could tell she had gotten to the end of the episode as I heard Twilight’s voice dictate the letter to Celestia.

“Dear Princess Celestia,” she read, “this week my very talented friend Rarity learned that if you try to please everypony, you oftentimes end up pleasing nopony; especially yourself. And I learned this – When somepony offers to do you a favor, like making you a beautiful dress, you shouldn’t be overly critical of something generously given to you. In other words, you shouldn’t look a gift horse in the mouth!”

The sound of Spike sending the letter rang out from my computer’s speakers as I stood up from the table, bunching up the plastic Subway bag and tossing it in the trash can. I then pulled two mugs out of the cupboard and went about heating up some water and pulling out a few chamomile tea bags. I figured she would need something to help her relax pretty imminently. Luckily, chamomile tea doesn’t require the water to be too terribly hot and it was ready by the time the credits had finished rolling.

I brought the flowery mug over to Rarity, who still seemed to have a blank stare on her face, looking with glazed eyes at the finished youtube video. Her mouth was slightly open and it looked like she might start drooling if left much longer. I put my hand on her shoulder and gripped it calmly. “Rarity?” I asked, “Are you going to be okay?”

The subsequent wail nearly deafened me again, as Rarity practically tackled me, tears rolling down her face in torrents. Sliding out of her chair, she fell to her knees and hugged me tightly around my waist. I sighed, putting my mug down and stroked her hair, my heart breaking to see her like this.

“Come on, Rarity,” I said as soothingly as I could, “It’s not as bad as you think.”

“Yes it iiiiiiiiiiiiiiis!” she cried into my waist. “Of all the worst things that could happen, this is-”

“The worst possible thing?” I finished. She nodded and started wailing again. I hugged her around her shoulders. “Come on, Rarity, chin up. Everything is going to be fine.”

“No it’s not!” Rarity practically screamed at me. “You mean to tell me that not just all of Ponyville, but an entire planet saw those ghastly outfits that my friends had me make?!”

I blinked.

“...THAT’S what you’re fussing about?!” I gaped, releasing her shoulders. “Rarity, I don’t think-”

“Oh the humiliation! The scandal! The shame and disgrace of it all! I shall never be taken seriously again!” Rarity continued to cry into me.

I rolled my eyes. Figures she’d have her priorities skewed just a little. She brought a tiara up a mountain to fight a dragon, after all. I sighed and attempted to remove the woman from my person. “Rarity, it really isn’t that bad.”

“My reputation is tarnished upon not one, but two worlds!” she shouted.

“Rarity!” I snapped, managing to break her out of her spiral long enough to pay attention to me. “Your reputation is fine! I’ve seen you in later episodes. Remember how you got to hang out with high society ponies like Fancy Pants and such? And I can guarantee you that you’re in the clear here on Earth. You get plenty of respect from the people that watch the show.”

Rarity sniffled. “Well, yes... there was that time with Fancy Pants.” She looked up at me “You really don’t think I should be reviled here on your world?”

“Sure,” I said encouragingly. “Everybody knows you’re a great seamstress and that those outfits came about due to... extenuating circumstances.”

A relieved sigh left Rarity’s lips. “That’s certainly a relief. I’d hate to look like a fool in front of such a large audience.”

“Yeah, wouldn’t want that.”

Rarity tapped her chin. “Though that does raise questions about the show itself. ‘My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic’ is it?”

“Right” I said, sitting down and motioning for her to proceed.

She sat down across from me and stirred her tea. “I take it to mean then, that it is meant to be an entirely fictional show?” she said softly.

I nodded. “That’s right. It’s a children’s cartoon. It was made by a woman named Lauren Faust for a television channel called the Hub. It gained immense popularity for being a whole lot better than it was ever expected to be despite originally being meant for little girls.”

Rarity cocked an eyebrow. “Why should that matter?”

I shrugged. “It really shouldn’t, but for some reason a lot of people who make television shows seem to think that ‘being for little girls’ gives them an excuse to put absolutely no effort into making the show. Evidenced especially by a couple previous generations of My Little Pony especially...”

“Previous generations?” Rarity asked.

“Well, see, back in the 1980’s, there was a show called-” I blinked stopping myself. “You know, that really doesn’t matter right now, does it?”

The poor girl sighed. “No, I suppose it doesn’t.” she said, suddenly going quiet. We sat in silence for a couple minutes, just sipping the tea before she finally clearing her throat and speaking again.

“So... am I to take this to mean that... I don’t exist?” she said softly.

“No” I said, perhaps too quickly. “Don’t start down that train of thought. Don’t you dare.” She nodded solemnly. “You’re here now, and you definitely exist. Don’t you dare have an existential crisis on me, Rarity. That’s the last thing the both of us need.”

Rarity looked at my laptop, which had since gone to sleep. “But... the show. Does that mean Equestria... all of it?”

“I don’t think so.” I said. “I have a theory, if you’re willing to hear it. Though, it may take a while.”

Rarity leaned back in her chair and motioned for me to continue. I cleared my throat and started to explain.

“I think it’d be best if we started where Doc Brown did.” Rarity cocked her head at the name but I waved her off. “A character from one of my favorite movies. I’ll show it to you sometime if we get the chance.” I grabbed a nearby pad of paper and pen and drew a single straight line on it. “Now Rarity,” I began, “What if I told you that this line represents all of your history? Everything you remember and everything that ever happened in your world, up to the present, is represented in this line with here...” I made a dot on the left side of the line, “representing the beginning of time.” I labeled it appropriately.

Rarity nodded. “Alright,” she said.

“And this dot here...” I put a dot in the middle of the line “...represents a major event in history. Let’s say, when you and your friends purified Princess Luna of Nightmare Moon.”

“You know of that too?” Rarity said, stunned.

I nodded. “First episode.” I said offhandedly.

“Alright,” she said, motioning for me to continue.

“And this dot here...” I said dotting the right end of the line, “is the present. When whatever transpired to bring you here happened.”

“Where are you going with this, William?” Rarity asked me.

I held up a hand to calm her. “I’m getting to that right now. Rarity, what do you know of Alternate timelines?”

Rarity shrugged. “I’m afraid very little. I’ve heard Twilight mention them once or twice in passing but I’m really not familiar with the concept.”

I nodded. “Alright then, I’ll try to explain it to you then.” I said, drawing a line jutting off at an angle from the center dot representing the defeat of nightmare moon. “What if, and of course this is just hypothetical, but what if Twilight Sparkle never came to Ponyville and Nightmare Moon had won the battle at that Summer Sun Celebration?”

Rarity’s eyes downturned. “Well that would have been horrible. The world would have been thrust into eternal night, and Nightmare Moon would have taken over as queen of Equestria, forcing everypony to follow her tyrannical reign. Of course, that’s assuming that the planet didn’t freeze over from the lack of sunlight.”

“Good, good,” I said to her. “That’s what this second line represents, Rarity. A timeline where something changed and the world became entirely different as a result. In this timeline, Twilight never came to Ponyville and Nightmare Moon took over Equestria, enslaving ponykind and forcing them to do her every bidding.”

Rarity shuddered. “Well it’s a good thing that didn’t happen, then.”

“Except it did.” I said, causing Rarity to look at me in shock. “It did happen Rarity. It just happened on a different plane of existence. An alternate timeline or universe if you will.”

“But-” Rarity tried to protest, but I cut her off.

“Just as you are in an alternate universe now. You couldn’t perceive me or any other humans or our world before you jumped universes.”

Rarity went silent before pointing at the lines again. “So you’re saying, that there’s a world out there where Nightmare Moon took over and enslaved ponykind and we just can’t perceive it?!”

I nodded. “That’s right.”

“That’s terrible! Oh those poor ponies!”

Shrugging I continued. “It’s true, but there’s nothing you can do about it so it’s not worth worrying about. You’ll go insane if you try to fuss about it. Besides, there’s always this universe here,” I said, drawing a third line off of the point where Nightmare Moon was defeated.

Rarity stopped for a minute before asking in trepidation, “And... what does that line represent?”

“A universe where Twilight did show up and help you cure Princess Luna of Nightmare Moon on the Summer Sun Celebration. Except in this universe, the Elements of Harmony had a strange effect upon the six of you when you used them and all of you managed to ascend to nigh-godhood, becoming alicorns in the process. The six of you were crowned new Princesses of Equestria and alongside Celestia and Luna you all managed to lead the nation into a new age of peace and prosperity.” I spoke frankly.

She gaped at me for a minute before her eyes started to sparkle at me. “You mean to tell me there’s a universe out there where I’m a princess?!”

I chuckled lightly. “That’s what I’m saying. It’s the theory of the multiverse,” I said, giving her the piece of paper. “The basic idea of the theory is that every time even a single atom vibrates differently, a new timeline splits off. As a result, you get an infinite number of universes seemingly identical to each other. You get a greater number of infinity number of universes however, that are vastly different.”

Rarity blinked. “Now you’ve lost me, darling.”

I scratched the back of my head. “Sorry, I guess that was a little much. What I’m trying to get across is the idea of infinity. Basically, the multiverse is endless. Anything you can imagine, anything at all, has happened on another plane of existence. Everything from the worst thing you can imagine, to the most beautiful.”

Rarity looked down at the table. “So... is there a universe out there where... I’m dead?”

I sighed. “Yeah. Yeah there is. In fact, there are an infinite number of universes out there where you died. Horribly for that matter.” I sipped my tea. “There’s an infinite universe where I died horribly too. That goes for everybody that’s ever existed in any universe for that matter.”

She shuddered, looking like she was about to cry again. I reached across the table and grabbed her hand softly. “But at the same time, there are universes out there where you’re the happiest person in the world. Where you’ve achieved all your dreams and are the pinnacle of ponykind. And that goes for everybody else that’s ever existed as well.”

Rarity looked to the side. “It’s a lot to take in.”

I nodded. “That’s infinity. It’s not just a lot to take in, it’s downright endless by nature. There’s no way we’ll ever chart all of it. As a result, it’s best not to dwell on it, unless you want to end up in a padded room.”

“But getting around to the point finally...” I started. “You come from a different universe. All you’ve done in this case is hop universes somehow. And now you’re here in my universe.”

Rarity scratched her head. “But that still doesn’t explain the cartoon, though.”

“Why not?” I said, leaning back. “After all, if everything you could think of is, in fact an alternate universe, then why not fiction?”

She stared at me for a minute. “So you mean to tell me, that every fictional story I’ve ever read or watched in the theater... I’m basically looking at a window into an alternate universe? That in some universe, Daring Do is leaping over pits as we speak and robbing ancient temples?!”

I grinned. “Correct!”

Rarity shivered. “Suddenly my stash of romance stories seems highly voyeuristic...”

I looked at her. She looked back. And then the both of us burst out laughing. We laughed for several minutes as Artemis jumped up on Rarity’s lap and got her to scratch her ears. Our laughter eventually died down and I took another sip of tea. “Heheh... No, you really shouldn’t look at it like that. I mean, by all probability, given infinity, somebody out there is probably reading about us right now.”

Rarity stopped laughing suddenly. “Wait, really?”

I shrugged. “Probably. But again, that’s not something to dwell on unless you like straitjackets. It’s really best to just get on with your life.”

“Honestly, I use it as a way to keep hope,” I said. “The knowledge that there’s a world out there where things are in every way better than mine gives me hope that maybe someday our world will achieve that level as well. In fact, I know that it will. It’ll also go to hell simultaneously, but again, if you dwell on the negatives, you’ll only hurt yourself.”

She nodded. “So then, the long and the short of it is...”

“Long and the short, basically, you’ve jumped universes.”

She pursed her lips. “That was a rather hefty exposition for such a quick answer.”

I snickered. “Well, I didn’t want you to have a meltdown, assuming you didn’t actually exist like the Crimson Chin did.”

“Who?”

“Another cartoon” I said, waving her off. “Doesn’t really matter.”

The pony-turned-human sipped down the rest of her tea. “So... why then do you suppose I turned into a human like you?”

“That...” I began, “I have no idea!” I said, giving her an exaggerated shrug.

She didn’t seem to see the humor in that as she sat there grumbling. “Well, it really is quite annoying. Your center of gravity isn’t right for walking on all fours, but it’s incredibly difficult to balance on two legs. How on earth do you humans do it all day?”

I shrugged. “Practice.”

“Yes, I suppose you would get a lot of that...” she said softly. “Though I must admit, these fingers are very useful. I can really see why Spike is such a great helper now. They’re almost as good as magic!” She suddenly went silent before crying out. “Oh goodness, Spike! My little Spikey-Wikey! And my other friends, and Sweetie Belle! My parents! What do you suppose happened to them?!”

I grimaced. I should have known that question would be coming. I downed the last of my tea and sighed, gripping her hand again. “Rarity... I don’t know. It’s entirely possible they could have made the jump to this universe with you. It’s also possible that they landed in another universe entirely. And it’s also possible that they’re still safe in Equestria looking for you. At the moment, there’s really no way to know.”

It looked like Rarity was about to cry, so I grabbed her other hand and looked into her eyes. “Hey,” I said, softly. “There’s no reason to give up hope yet. We don’t know enough to do that.”

She shook her head. “But that almost makes it worse! Not knowing what could have happened to them... it feels like I’m about to throw up again.” She sniffled.

I sighed again and squeezed her hands. “Hey, come on. Why don’t you tell me how you got here. Maybe that will give us a clue?”

She nodded and told me the story of how she had come to wake up in my house. Apparently, Discord broke out once more back in Equestria and started causing trouble again. And this time, it didn’t go quite so well. The Elements of Harmony and the Princesses of Equestria fell to him this time and in a last ditch effort to stop him, Luna had charged him, only to he hit with some sort of magical anomaly. The anomaly in question then spread outwards like a bubble and engulfed not only Discord and Luna, but Celestia and the rest of the mane 6 as well. Rarity tried to outrun the magical explosion, but ended up tripping and hitting her head on a rock. I figured that was how she fell unconscious for so long, because from there, the next thing she remembered was waking up to see a bunch of cartoon dogs talking on the TV and a strange, hairless monkey-cow thing sitting across the room.

“Hmmmm...” I paused for a minute. “It sounds like you were all caught in the same blast, so it’s entirely possible that they’re all here on Earth, Rarity.” She seemed to light up at that. I didn’t bother to tell her that seventy percent of the world was covered in water, or that places like Africa or China or the Middle East would be very much less than friendly to a girl like her. It would have been cruel to let that slip at this point. “I’ll tell you what, Rarity, I’ll do my best to look into it and see if I can find your friends somewhere.”

I could barely keep track of her as she leaped out of her chair and grabbed me around the shoulders in a tight hug. “Oh thank you! You have no idea how much this means to me, thank you so much!”

I patted her hand gently. “Don’t get too excited yet. I’m not in a very good position to go looking for people who may be anywhere in the world. But I will do my best for you.” She smiled at me, her eyes watering. I really thought she was going to cry again.

I stood up, breaking free of her hug. “In the meantime, why don’t you get cleaned up and rest for a while? It could be a while before we find them, so... I guess you’re welcome to stay here for now.”

I found myself caught in a hug again. “Oh thank you, William. You’re very generous to do all that for me.”

I smiled at her. “I’d have to be cruel to toss you out on your own right now. It’s only civil.”

She grinned right back at me. “Yes, I suppose that would be true.”

“And Rarity?”

“Yes, dear?”

“Call me Will.” I said softly.

“Of course, Will.”

After that, I led her to my bathroom and let her draw a bath. I figured, given how unsteady she was on her feet, it wouldn’t be a good idea for her to take a shower. Wouldn’t want her to slip and crack her head open. I pointed her to the guest room, which was right next door to my bathroom, for her to rest in when she was done bathing.

Once I heard water running, I left her to her own devices in the bathroom. I turned only to see my sister standing directly behind me.

“I heard you talking to her. You told her that she could stay here as long as she had to.”

I cringed. “...I’ve got some explaining to do, don’t I?”

“You think?”

I sighed. “Okay, sis. You’re not gonna believe me, but-”

“She’s actually Rarity?”

I gaped at her. “How did you-”

“Oh I’ve been eavesdropping on you the whole time.” She said, a little too casually.

I pinched the bridge of my nose. “Dani, you know that isn’t polite.”

“Whoever accused me of being polite?” she said, raising an eyebrow. “Besides, you hear some of the most interesting things while doing it.”

I grumbled. My sister had had this eavesdropping problem ever since she was a little girl, and it had gotten her in a lot of trouble in the past. When she was only six, she heard my mother drop a swear or two into a conversation, then saw fit to repeat her in kindergarten. Another time, she accidentally failed a test when she stood behind a teacher’s desk “just for kicks” as she described, and looked in a drawer, only to find the answers to the upcoming test. Of course, she’d barely even noticed them when the teacher walked in. Didn’t get a chance to read them, but the teacher assumed she’d been cheating and failed her on the spot. We both hated that teacher, but there was no denying it was a bad move on her part.

She never really grew out of it, obviously.

I eyed my sister. “So... do you believe her?”

She sighed, glancing aside. “I’m not sure. She definitely puts on a convincing act if she isn’t.”

I cocked an eyebrow. “You think it’s all an act.”

“I don’t know.” She admitted. “She doesn’t seem dangerous, and she seems like she needs help, but it seems more likely than what you’re suggesting.” She crossed her arms. “And if it is an act, then I don’t want to know to what end.”

I considered that for a moment. “Well, if she’s violent, you could certainly handle her.” Dani nodded. “It could be, though, that she’s putting on an act to try and mooch off of us or rob us or something.” I sighed “But she really doesn’t strike me as the sort. I think she’s on the level.”

“You’re too trusting, you know that?”

I rolled my eyes. “One of my many flaws.” I pondered the possibility a little. “I really don’t think she’s up to something, but if you want to keep an eye on her go ahead. You’re good at sneaking around anyway.”

Dani nodded. “Alright, then that’ll be the plan. You go ahead and try to help her, assuming she’s on the level, and I’ll make sure she doesn’t try any funny stuff.”

“Also,” Dani said, “I assume you’re going to try and get her out of here before mom and dad get back from the Outer Banks?”

I sighed. “I’m going to try, Dani, but if she’s telling the truth, we’re dealing with interdimensional chaos magic here. I’m in way over my head here. But I’d guess if I try to talk to any quantum physicists or anything like that, they’d probably ignore me.” I shrugged. “So basically, I’m the only person she has to rely on in this world.”

“...Welp, she’s doomed.”

“Ha ha ha ha ha ha” I mocked, rolling my eyes. “You should be a comedian.” I started walking down the hall back downstairs. “In any case, I don’t know if she’ll be out of here by then. I’ll do what I can to see if I can find or friends or anything that might be described as magical or ‘Chaos-y’ or whatever and see if I can get her home but... if worst comes to worst, then we may have to help her find a more permanent residence.”

“We’ll do our best, Dani.” I said. “That’s all we can do.”

Dani nodded. “Alright then.”

I nodded back and finished my descent. Wandering back into the kitchen I sat down at my computer.

“Okay...” I said to myself, booting it up. “Let’s see what we can find...”

Author's Note:

Again, I have to apologize for taking so long. After the last chapter I assumed this would be out in only a couple of days. That said, I didn't anticipate that I would sink back down into those feelings of depression once again. I guess you never really get over it.

And then I got turned off of ponies completely for like a week after the Alicorn Twilight announcement and the fandom erupted into civil war. (I'm less bothered about the change itself than the fact that it seems that nobody can stop talking/fighting about it. Really turned me away from all brony projects for a bit)

And then I got sick. That wasn't fun.

But, here I am again, with the fourth chapter ready for you all. Sadly, it's probably the most boring chapter so far, given that it's mostly exposition and speculation about the nature of the multiverse. I feel I should stress that I am not a physicist, so I have no idea if the way I present it is at all a valid way that it might work, and I'm not sure what Draequine and Slorg are really up to, with their multiversal theories, so it might end up being wrong in the course of the story as well.

Let it be known, though, that if I ever DID meet a fictional character, that this is basically the pep talk/explanation I'd give them. I think it'd mostly work. Probably.

Yeah, it's late and I'm tired. Maybe this song'll make this awful chapter better. Everypony loves Weird Al.

I could listen to that song all day.