• Published 29th Aug 2012
  • 9,073 Views, 301 Comments

Sunshine and Rainbows - Saro0fdemonz



Nopony would've believed it unless they had seen it, Rainbow Dash, the Princess.

  • ...
46
 301
 9,073

A secret revealed(Revised)

The ponies in the room stared in shock at the two before them.

"Uh...so...when were you planning on telling us about this?" Rarity asked, wincing as Applejack punched her shoulder gently.

"Don't mind her none, but uh...this is kinda suprisin Dashie, why didn't ya say anythin t' us sooner?" Applejack asked.

"Well would you guys have believed me?!" The rainbow maned pegasus demanded of them. Four of them glanced at each other, realizing Rainbow Dash was right. None of them would have believed her. They turned their attention to the fifth pony who had frozen in shock as the announcement had reached her ears. Twilight Sparkle had been known to overreact on several occasions, though this one could be somewhat justified.

"Hey look, i'm really sorry I didn't say anything sooner but...you guys wouldn't have believed me and I woulda just looked stupid. I don't like talkin about it anyway." They could tell it was hard for her to speak of it even now.

"But...but..." Pinkie Pie mumbled trying to find the words to say and failing. Rainbow lowered her head, surprised as the figure beside her rested a wing over her shoulder comfortingly.

"So why tell us now Dashie? After all this time, what would make ya spill yer guts?" Applejack asked softly.

"Well...ya see...Theres this big family reunion coming up...all of my relatives and their friends are gonna be there...and...well...I kinda HAVE to go and..."

"But first, somepony should help Twilight"

"I got it!" Pinkie Pie walked up to the frozen mare and gave her ear a slow lick, making the pony shiver and blush, quickly shaking her head. She stared at Rainbow Dash for a moment, opening her mouth to speak, only to have it slam shut on her, open again and once again slam shut.

"Twi..." Rainbow bit her lip.

"No, I'm not mad at you Rainbow Dash. I understand your reasons. But you..." Twilight turned her attention to the figure beside Rainbow Dash.

"Why didn't you tell me Rainbow was your daughter Princess?"


It was just like any other day in Ponyville. The cutie Mark Crusaders crashing into a bush together and laughing as if they hadn't almost broken their necks yet again, Pinkie Pie bouncing about merrily, delivering happiness and sweets to any who passed by her, Rarity working on a 'fabulous' new dress, Applejack preparing for Cider Season and Rainbow Dash taking a nap. Twilight smiled as she turned her gaze away from the window, letting it fall upon the rows and rows of books that lined the walls of the Library in which she resided.

She wasn't the tallest of mares but she wasn't quite the shortest either, her purple bangs broken by several stripes of lighter shades near the middle. A soft smile touched the lavender mares lips as she walked through the Library. Today was just like any other day, though unlike most days Twilight had no schedule for today, due to her excellent planning and time management skills she had finished ahead of schedule by two whole days. The thought made her smile grow even wider.

To think that she was getting ahead of even her own schedules, it was foalish of her but it excited her to know she was doing so well that she could even outdo herself.

"Look at me, boasting like Rainbow Dash." she thought aloud with a small chuckle. Twilight blinked as a scroll appeared in front of her.

"Huh? A letter from the Princess? But...why didn't she send it through Spike?" she thought aloud as she unwrapped it in her magic.

Twilight Sparkle, you are cordially invited to the Royal Family Gathering in Canterlot one week from Today. As an honorary Member of the Royal Family we look forward to seeing you and your friends there

That was all it said. It didn't have The Princess' signature, nor the writing Twilight had come to recognize as that of her mentor. This wasn't from the Princess herself, this was most likely sent by somepony under her though.

"Wait, Royal Family Gathering? Honorary Member? Friends?!" Twilight screamed and rushed out the door, bumping into Pinkie Pie and her friends.

"See?! I told ya she was gonna freak out!" Pinkie Pie said, helping Twilight to her hooves.

"Pinkie! Letter! Canterlot!" Twilight's thoughts were moving faster than her mouth could and thus instead of a well thought out explanation she appeared to be babbling nonsense. Pinkie put a hoof to her mouth and nodded.

"Deeeeeeeeeeep Breath Twilight" She said soothingly. Twilight took a deliberate slow breath and let it out to calm herself.

"Good, now tell us whats going on" Twilight nodded and quickly explained the letter, showing it to them.

"Hey, this looks kinda like that paper ya'll threw away Rainbow. Did ya'll get an invite too?" Applejack asked. Rainbow coughed and shrugged.

"Uh, well, I dunno. Maybe they just gave it to the wrong pony." She said quickly, keeping her gaze focused anywhere but the eyes of her friend. She jumped in surprise as a letter appeared in front of her in a poof of magic fog, landing at her hooves. The letter carried the seal of Princess Celestia herself.

"Uh..." Dash looked at her friends and lifted up the letter, opening it and reading over it slowly. Pinkie Pie slowly peeked over shoulder, only to be shoved away. Rainbow's face paled as she read over the letter, quickly crumbling it up.

"What was that about Dashie?" Pinkie asked.

"Its nothing! Geez! Why won't everypony just leave me be!?" she huffed.

"Rainbow Dash, that was a letter from the Princess herself, I know it was. I get letters from her all the time. If she sent it then it must have been important. What did it say?" Twilight asked.

"Its none of your business!" she yelled, flaring out her wings and taking off. The five remaining friends all looked at one another in confusion. Just what did Celestia say in her letter to Rainbow Dash?


Rainbow sighed heavily as she rested on a cloud, another letter appearing out of the air in front of her. She glared at the closed letter, knowing full well another would appear as soon as she destroyed this one. She had run away from this for her entire life and even with her speed she couldn't run from it forever. With a sigh of defeat she opened the letter.

Rainbow Dash, I know you don't want to read any of these letters and I know you don't want everypony to know the truth. But this is important and time is short. There is more to this reunion than everypony knows. I am sure you remember the changelings and the threat they posed to Equestria, they have sided with the Gryphons and are planning to return. I have received word by way of Gryphons still loyal to us that the Gryphons will be joining us on the day of the reunion to talk peace terms. They will be bringing with them their Crown Princess and expect us to do the same and be on equal terms with one another. Luna and I cannot do this as the Gryphon King sees us as more than Princess'. You are my only option Rainbow Dash, I know I promised I would leave you be to live your life, but I need you. Equestria needs you, now more than ever. I'm sorry and I hope you will help me. If not for me, then for your friends, for Equestria. With Love.


Signed - Your Loving mot. Mom. Princess Celestia


There were bits and pieces of the letter that had been scratched out. As she squinted to make out the scribbled words she could just barely make out 'with love' and 'my daughter'. Things that upon reading over them Celestia must have thought would only anger the pegasus. As she thought of it, seeing such things might have made her angry, though after having read the entire letter, a small part of herself wished she hadn't removed them. She rolled the letter up and stood up on the cloud she rested on.

She didn't have a choice anymore. She had to help, she had to go. She wouldn't be the Element of Loyalty if she abandoned Celestia to the Gryphons. Though she was dreading meeting a certain Gryphon again, as well as revealing her darkest secret to her friends. A deep breath and a slap to the face later, she dove off her cloud and took off towards canterlot, her Sonic Rainboom loud enough to draw the attention of her friends and lead them right to her.


Twilight gasped as a massive boom outside threw her off her ladder, Spike quickly snatching her out of the air and setting her down gently on the ground. She sighed in relief, grateful for the growing drakes wings for once.

"Heh, and you said all these were good for was knocking over books and lamps" he said proudly, standing upright, his left wing knocking over a lamp, which he deftly caught in his claw with a sheepish chuckle.

"Well they are good for that and for saving my neck." The unicorn said with a small smile, though it faded away as her gaze fell outside the window behind Spike. Through it she could easily see a rainbow trail headed towards Canterlot.
Twilight zipped downstairs, her friends already heading for the door. Rainbow Dash was hiding something from them, and they were going to find out what.


Guards rushed into the garden where a large crater sat, smoke drifting up from it. From the crater came a single Rainbow Maned pegasus, a bit dazed, but otherwise unharmed.

"Stand down." Celestia commanded her guards, smiling a little.

"Have...have you decided to help me?" Celestia asked, fearing she would say no.

"Well...to be honest...I don't feel like I have a choice." Rainbow admitted.

"Guards, leave us, let nopony disturb us." Celestia ordered the guards, keeping her gaze on the young pegasus before her. The guards nodded, quickly leaving. Celestia waited a moment longer to be sure everypony was gone before pulling Rainbow into a gentle hug.

"I've missed you..." she whispered. Rainbow grumbled something under her breath and sighed.

"I guess I missed you too...Though I really really really don't want anything to do with all this princess stuff."

"I know...I hate to break my promise..."

"But who knows Gilda better than me huh?" Rainbow asked halfheartedly.

"My reports tell me her father intends to cause a war between us, she seems to have kept him from doing so, but I cannot be sure what HER intentions are. Perhaps you and your friends can turn the tide of this." She said with a smile. Rainbow Dash froze.

"M...My friends? Y...You aren't gonna tell them are you?"

"Well...as the Elements of Harmony they are all invited to the Reunion. Twilight would come anyway, being my student and Royalty by way of her brothers marriage to Cadence. She is as much family as any of us."

"Oh please don't say that..." Rainbow mumbled. Celestia smiled a little to herself.

"Oh? Could it be you have a crush on Twilight?" Celestia mused, earning a quick glare from the pegasus.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said that." She sighed and sat down.

"Rainbow Dash..."

"I might care about her but thats none of your business...i'm just here because I can't just walk away. I can't leave anypony to face something this big alone. It just wouldn't feel right."

"I understand..." Celestia said softly. Rainbow sighed and stood in front of her stretching her neck up enough to rub her cheek against Celestia's. The elder mare smiled returning the gesture.

"I know you think I hate you. But thats not true. I just hated the thought of being a Princess or being like Blueblood...I just wanted my own life." Rainbow said softly, never leaving the embrace.

"I know...I wish it hadn't come to this. You seemed so happy in Ponyville." they sat there for a while together in silence, Rainbow Dash eventually speaking up.

"Well...we might as well get started. I dunno the first thing about being a princess and the reunion is only so far away." That wasn't completely true. She had been primped and pampered as a filly and had a basic understanding of what would be expected of her. Though a refresher course couldn't hurt.

"Then we should hurry and get you ready."

"Ready fer what?" Applejack asked. Celestia and Rainbow Dash turned to find four ponies out of breath, the fifth still bouncing slightly with a serious look on her face.

"Um...hey guys...uh...how long ya been there?" Rainbow asked.

"Jus' got here actually, mind tellin us whats goin on here?" the work pony asked, speaking for the others as they tried to catch their breath. Rainbow Dash looked up at Celestia who gave her a small nod. The pegasus sighed and took a deep breath.

"I'm...a princess..."