• Published 18th Aug 2020
  • 1,477 Views, 92 Comments

Books, Bats, and Bad Mojo - Yuri Petrovitch



Desmond's luck has run out, but will he find it in a dusty old bookstore? And why does everyone who works there seem really into horse puns?

  • ...
3
 92
 1,477

Bad Brunch

"So at last, we meet again!" The breakfast had arrived as usual, and as usual the bowl of bland porridge didn't make any witty quips back. Despite the warm bowl of oats inanimate nature it's silence mocked him, egging him on, taunting him with his inability to even hold a single spoon!

Not even the plate of toast would provide asistance, only the tempting aroma of freshly reheated bread with a healthy dollop of Melody's mango jam, the fruity sweetness made Desmond's mouth water... If only he wouldn't get all sticky after he ate it.

It wasn't his fault he had to eat straight out of the tray like a dog for the past week. What was crazy was for a whole society of fingerless creatures to somehow use cutlery! How do they even grab things without hands?!

The silverware only glistened as the sun continued to rise outside the window, it wouldn't share it's secrets to pony etiquette so easily. Slamming a hoof down on the spoon only served to jostle the TV tray table and spill a bit of water sitting in a paper cup. "I'll master your dark arts one day, and then you shall rue the day you slipped from my grasp!"

All the while as Desmond faced off against his arch nemesis with a heated glare Nurse Jubilee rolled her eyes at the foalish display.

It had become fairly common knowledge that meal times were a... unique experience with this particular unicorn. They usually involved a mop afterwards too.

"I hate to repeat myself... but what exactly are you doing?" The teal unicorn was busy jotting down notes in her magic grip. Observing her patient had cost her several notepads filled with Desmond's antics already.

Snapping his head to where Jubilee sat in the far corner Desmond let his emerald green eyes blink back owlishly; he obviously had forgotten about his room's current company. Minus his neighbour in the other bed, that poor stallion was in the middle of getting his wing bones reset in a different section of the hospital.

Didn't help that Blooming Jubilee's teal light blue fur coat seemed to blend in with a lot of the hospital's colour pallet.

"...Sorry, keep forgetting this isn't all a weirdly lucid dream I'm stuck in." Desmond had the decency to at least look a bit embarrassed.

Jubilee slowly nodded back, never leaving eye contact. Note, patient still believes he's in a sort of dream state and has vague connection with reality. Ask local therapist if they can take on an extra case.

As the nurse continued to jot down notes Desmond continued to watch the glow surrounding the pen and paper floating in mid air. The gravity defying magic enthralled the stallion, he watched with great interest and a bit of jealousy as the mare didn't so much as flinch with her use of magic.

"How do you do that by the way?"

The sudden question caught Bloom off guard, she flicked her eyes back to her patient. "How do I do what?"

"Y-you know... Uuh..." Desmond waved his hoof in a vague motion of someone casting a spell with an imaginary wand. "Do magicaly stuff?"

...magicaly stuff

Oooh Jubilee was so not going to go through this right now! It was bad as it was already with Desmond's messes, adding magical damage to the hospital's insurance bill was NOT something they could afford. Blooming Jubilee was patient, accepting, and willing to put up with a lot more nonsense than her sister Tulip, but there was a limit to everything, and that was with helping an amnesiac accident prone patient become a serious health liability to themselves and her job.

"Nope..."

"Nope nope nope!" Jubilee shuddered at the scenes of carnage that might ensue as a fully grown adult pony goes through their magical surges all over again. "NO! Desmond, don't even THINK about it! Magic isn't a toy you can just pick up willy nilly! It takes YEARS of practice and with an untrained hoof at it you'll cause so much chaos and destruction, even if you don't mean to!"

Desmond's anxious expression morphed into shock at the outburst before lowering his gaze to stare at his hooves like he had just asked if it was alright to trample a puppy. His light tan ears folded back as he slumped deeper into his sheets.

"...I just wanted to try floating some things to make my life a bit easier, like writing or using a spoon..."

Seeing the crestfallen unicorn Jubilee felt a stab of guilt in her heart, maybe that was too harsh..."I-I mean, an untrained and inexperienced magic user would cause all that... But with enough training and practice you'll get the hang of it again."

Standing up the nurse quickly moved over to Desmond's bed, placing a comforting hoof on the stallion's shoulder. "I'll check to see if there are any way we can help you remember how to safely use basic magic... No promises though."

Glancing up at the mare through several locks of auburn mane Desmond allowed a bit of life back into his body. The half smile he gave back was reassuring at least. "...Thanks Bloom, I appreciate it a lot."

A comfortable silence passed between them, only broken as Desmond stared down at his breakfast one more "Could you at least teach me the magic behind grabbing things with these hooves?"


Elsewhere in Vanhoover two mares were taking turns at puking violently into a toilet.

Melody would have given a leg or three to stop the constant ringing between her ears as wave after wave of nausea came over her... and into the toilet bowl. The mare whimpered as she clutched her stomach as another cramp twisted her guts. Her brain felt much the same, like a sponge being wrung dry of all it's fluids.

"T-there there," Tulip gently rubbed the other pony's withers with one hoof while the other held back her midnight blue mane out of the way, "Just let it all out..."

Melody shuddered as another wave of vertigo swept over her. "Urp... N-n-never d-drinking again..." A choked sob came out of the young bat pony. How was she supposed to know her limit? She had barely had a sip of mango wine back in Hallow Shades, and since moving to the coast this had been the first time she had ever gone out drinking.

The previous night was still a bit hazy, but from the brief flashes of her memories... and the assortment of greasy tastes in her mouth, Melody and Tulip had found some other restaurant or bar to visit after... Melody felt her face heat up as the memory of Big Bill's Quesos resurfaced. Why the BUCK did I shriek like that?!

Tulip chuckled as she saw the expression on Melody's face, "Ah, reminds me of my days back in university. I swore off drinking several times in bathrooms like this. Obviously, 'never again didn't stop me from partying it up, much like how you did last night. Very impressed with how you kept slugging back those shots like a champ by the way."

"Arg... Please... Stop talking about drinking... uRP!" A fresh new orange stain was added to the basin, "I-I think I'm going to die..."

Tulip barked out a much too loud laugh and slapped the sick bat between her wings. "That's the spirit! Oh, how I missed those absolute benders, nice to have a friend that can keep up now!"

It took a moment for Melody to process what was just spoken, fighting another shooting headache and all, but a word clung to her mind. Friend...

It had been a chaotic week so far with ponies dropping in and getting books dropped on their noggins, hospital visits and sincere apologies, with making up with Desmond and having her first pen pal... To making her first actual 'friend'.

She had nearly forgotten why she had even moved out to Vanhoover to begin with: to make some friends.

It felt... Nice. The thought of Tulip considering her a friend, with hopefully her sister too, brought some warmth to her chest... Now if only it didn't cause her so much barfing and pain. Turning back to the pony next to her Melody beamed up at her, showing off her pearly white fangs in a massive genuine grin. "T-thanks Tulip! I'll-" Melody quickly turned her head back to the toilet to expunge more mango flavored alcoholic beverages.

For her part Tulip just laughed hard enough she burst her gut, following the Thestral in emptying last night's binge drinking.

An hour later, half a bottle of Advil, and some ice packs for their heads both mares laid on the large sofa in the Tulip's livingroom. An empathic silence followed hovered between them, as at the moment any loud noises would have been mutually painful.

Mug in hoof Tulip sipped at some herbal tea her sister gave for such hangovers. Glancing over to her company also enjoying a hot cup of tea Tulip couldn't help but feel like she was forgetting something in her tired mind, something important that had happened last night and was possibly the catalyst for everything... then it came to Tulip like a smack across the face: Desmond.

"Ah, I remember now..." Tulip smacked her lips, placing her mug down on the table. She tilted her head to look directly into Melody's eyes with a mischievous grin, "You never gave me a proper answer for what you think about a certain somepony."

It took Melody all of two seconds to make the connection to whom she was referring to, it only took her half that amount of time to spit out her tea. Luckily this time the hyper anxious mare didn't blow out everypony's ear drums within a five mile radius. Instead she merely squeaked as she covered her reddening face with her forehooves. Her longish ears flattened against her head as the tuffs on each end quivered. Tulip had to admit, if she wasn't already attracted to stallions she'd have found the display of shyness incredibly cute.

"Out with it already girl! It's painfully obvious you've got some sort of bad crush on the weirdo, just tell me why already!"

"...I-I-I dunno..." her words were nothing more than a whisper, if Tulip wasn't already sitting right next to her she would barely have heard it at all.

"You... 'dunno'? No past connection, no love letters, no confessions from him? You just... Caught some feelings at first sight? Straight out of a fantasy story book? As if that EVER happens!" Tulip was starting to feel her blood pressure rise. Not even when she was a foal did she ever believe such bedside story nonsense, loving somepony off the bat (pun not intended) wasn't something you just DID, it took whole lot more time and effort. So something had to be going on here, Tulip knew it.

"F-fine!" The bat threw off the ice pack from her head and gave a hot glare. Tulip had been repeatedly asking something that wasn't even her business, but running away from the topic hadn't solved anything. As much as she would hate to open herself up like that to a pony she just met the constant pressure was too much. "I-it's just... each time I th-think about that poor stallion my heart starts racing! I keep picturing him smiling one moment, and then the next I see him crushed under all those books again!" Melody screwed her eyes shut as she imagined the painful experience all over again.

"D-Desmond is a nice pony, and I'll... I'll admit he's handsome in his own adorable way even, but there's nothing going on! I like him, but that's it!" By the end Melody was panting with how much the shouting and effort of suppressing her twisting social anxiety which threatened to tighten around her throat like a noose.

Suddenly two warm limbs wrapped themselves around Melody's barrel in a gentle hug. At first Melody tensed up and thought about breaking from the contact... But the embrace was pretty comforting. "Shhh, it's okay. It's okay." Tulip gently stroked her hoof through the long strands of dark indigo mane. "I'm sorry for pushing you outside of your comfort zone like this... And for all of what happened last night; I was trying to figure out if Desmond was a just a clueless moron or something dangerous to ponies around him... Turns out I'm the monster here..."

Melody decided then to break out of the hold, though gently as Tulip seemed to understand and let the young mare go. With a fetlock the grey night pony wiped away some fresh tears.

"Thanks for being honest Tulip... And I am a bit mad you were trying to trick me into giving you a confession about Desmond." Melody's golden eyes were bloodshot, dark bags hung under her eyes, but there was a warmth to them as she looked at her friend, "...But I guess I can forgive you if you promise to just be up front with me next time instead of dragging me across the city getting me drunk."

Tulip reached out a hoof and Melody looked at it for a moment before it clicked that she was supposed to reach out as well, "I promise on my sister's prize winning germaniums that I'll be more forward and honest with you." They both shook on it.

The mares sat back down on the couch, sipping their now cold tea. "By the way Melody... Do you think we're forgetting about something here?"

"No? I don't think so, why?"

"Well... Didn't you technically skip work last night?"

"OH BUCK!"

Author's Note:

Hey ho, hey ho!
How many errors did I make today?
More than a few in a row I can say!
Fiddle fiddle fe, fiddle fi, fiddle fo!

Hey ho, hey ho!
The plot progress is too slow!
The characters, they didn't grow!
Fiddle fiddle fe, fiddle fi, fiddle fo!

Hey ho, hey ho!
The writing is just bland!
The story I cannot stand!
Fiddle fiddle fe, fiddle fi, fiddle fo!

Away to the writters gulag I go!
Fiddling all the way!