• Published 15th Sep 2020
  • 3,978 Views, 415 Comments

Flash Sentry, Defender of the Peace S6 - Banshee531



A new series of adventures will begin as Flash and Twilight learn to grow into their new roles as teachers. They and their friends will now find themselves in even more crazy adventures than ever before, but can they handle them?

  • ...
9
 415
 3,978

Flutter Brutter

Cloudsdale, the floating city of pegasi. Within this is a suburb filled with homes of those working at the Weather Factory or any other profession in the place. It is in within one such home that Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash were sitting down with Fluttershy's parents on the other side of a table. Fluttershy's mother Posy Shy, smiled as her husband Cirrus Breeze, placing a gelatin dish on the table.

"We're so happy you could come have lunch with your father and me, Fluttershy."

"I'm so glad you asked," Fluttershy replied, "I'm just sorry Iron couldn't come."

"So are we." Despite Iron's gruff demeanor, the two did like him, both happy when the two got together. "Were you not able to get that spell cast on him so he could come?"

Fluttershy shook her head, "No, he just had patrol duties. I think he said something about a band of thieves or something."

Rainbow sighed at this, "Yeah, the defenders are tracking some thieves that their sources told them were gonna try and sneak through Ponyville."

"Oh dear," Posy gasped, "Then maybe it's a good thing you came to lunch."

"And it was super awesome of you to invite me too!" Rainbow giggled as Cirrus walked up to the table carrying a plate of salad. "Things have been so busy with the Wonderbolts lately, it's great to get a chance to relax someplace quiet."

"That's exactly what I intend to do now that I've retired," Cirrus added as he put the plate down. "In fact, I converted the back house to showcase my cloud collection." He pointed to a window, all turning to see a small building that was filled with tiny jars of cloud pieces. Around the building were several long flower pots filled with different plants. "I have my clouds, your mom has her flowers, you've got your animals, and your brother..."

Everypony shared a glance at this, Posy letting out a tiny laugh, "Zephyr Breeze has his...interests."

"I'll say!" Rainbow exclaimed, "Remember when he was convinced square clouds were gonna be the next big thing?!"

She let out a cackling laugh at this, the others grimacing as Posy muttered, "He's matured a lot since then."

Cirrus moved over to her, "Actually, it's funny you bring Zephyr up..." The older pegasi shared a smile before pointing toward their daughter, Fluttershy's gaze shifting between them.

"Oh no!" She cried in horror and annoyance. "Not again!"

Posy did a slow nod, "It's just for a little while, dear. 'Til he gets back on his hooves."

Rainbow's eyes went wide, "Wait...you don't mean-"

"Guess who's home!" yelled a voice as the sound of a door slamming open rang out. They all turned to the noise, now seeing a tall, greenish blue pegasus stallion with messy blonde hair and a bunch of wavy lines for a cutie mark. He had a five o'clock shadow and a large dufflebag over his shoulder. "That's right big sis, it's your one and only favorite little brother, moi!"

The four other pegasi had very different reactions. His parents showed shaky smiles, Posy even waving, while Rainbow rolled her eyes and Fluttershy slammed her face into the back of her chair.

Zephyr threw his bag onto the table, causing it to land in the gelatin before turning to Fluttershy. "Hi, Flutter-butter!" He pulled her in for a hug, "How's the bestest big sister ever?!" But Fluttershy didn't return the hug, making him frown. "Hey, where's the love? How about a little excitement to see your baby brother?" He battered his eyes before ruffling the top of her hair, causing it to go messy and cover her face.

"I'm just surprised," Fluttershy hissed as Zephyr moved over to hug his parents. "When you left, you said mane therapy was your calling."

"Oh, it is sis, it is." He let his parents go, "You would not believe how much stress ponies hold in their manes." He ran up and held up her mane, "Everything gets limp and unmanageable." He began kneading her mane into bun like the one he had. "No offense, but brushing alone won't solve the problem. " But once he was done, he let go of her mane, the hair falling apart and covering the mare's face.

She pulled her mane away, glaring at her brother, "What went wrong?"

Zephyr's eyes twitched, glancing away, "Nothing went wrong...per say." He reached into his bag and pulled out a book, which he plopped in front of her and opened up. "It's just the powers that be were so locked into their required styles." Fluttershy saw it was pictures of different mane styles, "And you know me." He shut the book, "I've got my own style, and I think they were a little threatened." He reached into his bag again and pulled out a mannequin, placing it on the table.

They all looked at it, seeing the horror show that was Zephyr's mane-style creation. Despite the clearly terrible work, Posy and Cirrus forced a smile. "O-Oh, this is...lovely, dear."

Rainbow couldn't resist looking away, sticking out her tongue while making a sickened sound. This caught Zephyr's attention, making him smile at her. "Welllll, if it ain't Rainbow 'The Best Flyer There Ever Was' Dash!"

She let out a long sigh, "Oh, this ought to be good."

Fluttershy raised a wing in front of her brother, "Zephyr, don't. Rainbow's in a committed relationship, so don't even think of trying anything."

This made him gasp, pushing the wing away as he stared at Rainbow, "Oh Rainbow, how could you be so cruel?! I hope this colt's in on your plan to make me jealous or you might end up breaking his heart! Even though you don't have to go to such lengths to try and impress me." Rainbow went fully wide-eyed, horror striking in her face as Fluttershy let out an infuriated groan. "Still, thanks for showing up for my homecoming." He patted her hoof, "Its so sweet."

"Her-rururu," the Wonderbolt shivered in disgust as Zephyr looked away.

"You know, I kinda thought there would be more ponies here. I mean, what about your party planner friend, um...Sprinkle Pie! She could've turned this into a real house part-aye, am I right? I mean, this place could use it. So drab!" That last word was spoken in a singsong way, Fluttershy glaring at him before turning to her parents.

Both were shrinking back, showing they were upset at his words, "Heh. I-I, eh..." was all Posy could say.

"We have been meaning to redecorate..." Cirrus added, Fluttershy and Rainbow frowning at this.

Zephyr, who had been sticking posters of himself up on the walls, let out a laugh, "Dad, please." He headed for the living room, "When I get all my stuff back in here, you won't even remember what this boring old place looked like!" But as he did this, he came to a stop and turned to Fluttershy, "Though uh...that reminds me. That scary dude isn't around...is he?"

"Scary dude?" Rainbow asked with a raised eyebrow.

"If you mean Iron Core," Fluttershy added, now seeing his scared expression increase along with some sweat pouring down his face, "He's not here."

"Phew," Zephyr wiped his forehead, only to shine a small grin, "I mean, oh. Finally got rid of him, did yah? I figured he'd scare you away eventually. Though I hope he wasn't too mad when you broke up with him...but I also wouldn't be surprised if he got carted away by the guard or something."

"Iron is a guard," Rainbow deadpanned, "He's actually the highest class of guard one could get. Because he actually did something meaningful with his life."

"And we haven't broken up," Fluttershy chimed in, "He's just busy...working."

"Oh," Zephyr's scared expression returned, "Well that's...too bad. The he's busy part, and not the you haven't broken up part. Anyways..." He ran out of the room, Fluttershy letting out another cry of frustration before taking a deep breath and turning to her parents.

"Mom, Dad, can I talk to you for a second?" Her parents nodded and the three walked into the kitchen.

"What is it, honey?" Cirrus asked, Fluttershy giving them a serious glare.

"I'm not so sure letting Zephyr move back home is a good idea," Fluttershy instantly replied, "I know you both want to help, but don't you remember last time?"

Posy shined a small smile, "Zephyr's just trying to find his place, dear."

"I know he is." Fluttershy leaned up to them, "It just seems like his place, always ends up being your place! And then he...sort of makes...you do everything for him!"

Cirrus slightly looked away, "Well, we may not be as bold as you Fluttershy, but don't you worry. We know how to stand up for ourselves."

Fluttershy sighed at this, the three soon walking back into the living room to find Rainbow and Zephyr sitting in an armchair. Though mainly Rainbow was sitting in it reading a book while Zephyr was sitting on the arm...until Rainbow pushed him off after he said something.

Rainbow then turned to Fluttershy, "Zeph was just telling me all about the ins and outs of mane therapy school."

"It's all so political," Zephyr whined as he got up. "I just could not take it!"

Fluttershy couldn't help but glare at Zephyr, "Well, maybe if you stuck with it for more than a few weeks..."

Her parents shared a glance, gulping at an incoming argument as Zephyr moved over to the fireplace, "Sorry sis, but when something's not the right fit, this pony's gotta fly!" He then took out a framed picture of...himself, which he put on the fireplace while knocking off several nick-knacks. He then let out a yawn while moving over to the sitting Wonderbolt. "Anyways, good talk Rainbows. I am so touched you came to see me, really. I hate to deprive you of my presence, but this breeze needs his Z's."

Rainbow raised an eyebrow, "You know it's the middle of the day, right?"

"I know," Zephyr replied before saying the next word in such a way that they could almost hear the maracas in the background. "Siesta!" He zipped up to the stairs before turning to Posy, "I'm just gonna assume you made up my room the way I like it, right, Mom?" He trotted up, only for his head to poke back downstairs. "Oh, I almost forgot! All my stuff is out front. Wanna grab that for me, Pops?" He let out a short laugh, "Thanks." His head shot back up as Rainbow let out a sigh.

"Same old Zeph." This statement got Fluttershy to groan, knowing the next few weeks were gonna be a nightmare for her parents until Zephyr found something else to get him out of the house...for a month or so. Then it would all start over again.


Later...

Iron Core was now trotting through Ponyville. He was keeping his eyes open, glancing around as he tried to find anything. However, the criminals they had been tipped off about had yet to arrive, or weren't even coming. As such, he walked out into the main square, seeing Lightning talking to some locals as they shook their heads.

"Anything?"

"Nopony's seen anything," Lightning replied as he turned to Iron.

"Alright. Let's do another round."

"Sure." Lightning responded before waving the townponies off. After this, they trotted down a street, only to see an approaching Pinkie, Wild and Applejack.

"Yo!" Wild waved, "What's up you two? Found those crooks yet?"

"They don't appear to be in town yet," Lightning replied. "Either that or they decided to skip us."

"Well if yah need any help," Applejack responed before a pair of pegasi flew overhead.

"Rainbow Dash! Fluttershy! It's me, Pinkie Pie!" Pinkie exclaimed at the passing ponies, "YOUR FRIEND!" However, they didn't seem to hear her, making Pinkie tear up. But as she did this, Applejack let out a whistle loud enough to catch Rainbow's ear, making her come to a stop before Fluttershy ran into her.

They both looked down, gliding to the ground as Fluttershy said, "Oh...um, sorry about that."

"You okay?" Iron asked as he saw the giant frown on her face, "You look a little...upset."

She looked away, Rainbow speaking up next, "We just had lunch with Fluttershy's parents, and you'll never guess who showed up."

"Ooh!" Pinkie reached into her mane and pulled out a wallet full of photos. "Mayor Mare?

"Cranky Doodle Donkey?" Wild added.

"Cheese Sandwich?" Pinkie guessed before she and Wild yelled together, "Ms. Harshwhinny?!"

Rainbow smirked as Pinkie threw the photos right in her face, "Zephyr Breeze."

That name got an exhausted groan from Iron while Pinkie began to frown, "Oh...that makes more sense."

Lightning and Wild raised an eyebrow, "Who's that?"

"He's a lazy, selfish, annoying waste of space that always takes advantage of ponies and makes them do all the work while he sits back and does nothing...and he's also Fluttershy's brother." Iron commented, both surprised Fluttershy wasn't speaking up saying 'he wasn't that bad'.

Instead, Applejack sighed as she spoke up. "And from the look on yer face, ah'm guessin' it's for another one of his 'extended stays?'"

She gave Fluttershy a smirk as the pegasus facehoofed, Rainbow nodding before speaking as quietly as she could. "She's a bit peeved." Despite trying to be quiet, her statement was heard by a mother and her foal. The mother shot them a glare before pushing the foal away.

Fluttershy let out a long, moaning sigh, "Zephyr's my brother, and I love him, but he's never learned to do anything for himself! I don't know why my parents keep letting him trot all over them!"

"Because they're more mild mannered and timid than you were when I first met you," Iron added as Lightning turned to her with wide eyes.

"Wait..." He pointed at Fluttershy, "Did you just say that in her family...she's the bold one?!" The others nodded back, "Mind...blown."

Applejack shook her head at this, "Well, if yer parents won't stand up for themselves, maybe you need to stand up for them."

Fluttershy blinked at her, only for a serious look to appear on her face. "You know, you're right!" She shot into the air and flew back in the direction of Cloudsdale, Iron smirking as he watched her go.

"Oh yeah. That's a look you don't want to be on the receiving end off."

"I haven't seen her this determined since she befriended Discord," Rainbow added. "Zephyr's gonna see just how Fluttershy defeated a dragon."


Fluttershy soon got back to her parent's house, landing at the door and taking a deep breath. But before she could knock, a crashing sound from the backyard made her run around the side. And when she got there, she gasped at the sight before her. Her brother was in the back house, throwing their father's cloud jar out the windows and letting them loose while crushing some of their mother's flowers.

"ZEPHYR BREEZE!" she screamed, the pegasus turning to the window before shining a smile.

"Oh hey, sis!" He stepped out the building, "Come to see me work...my...magic?!" He came to a stop as he saw his sister suddenly grow to the size of an elephant. His now big sister, in all cases of the word, glared down at him with a look of disgust. "Wow. Mom and dad told me you'd gotten this power, but I didn't really believe it until now."

"Can't you see what you're doing?!" The giant pony asked, pointing to their parents.

"Yeah!" Zephyr moved back into the small shed, "I'm getting rid of this old stuff so I can turn the back house into my art studio!" He pushed several more jars outside, "I've decided I'm gonna be a sculptor!"

"I'm talking about Mom's flowers!"

Zephyr glanced back, "She's gonna move them so I can have my meditation patio here. She loves replanting stuff." He turned to Posy, "Don't you, Mom?" He gave her his best puppy-dog eyes, Posy looking at one of her bent flowers as the head fell off before smiling at her son.

Fluttershy shrank back down to normal, picking up one of the surviving cloud jars. "And Dad's been collecting his favorite bits of cloud from the factory since before you were born."

Cirrus nodded as he managed to trap one of his escaped clouds in another jar. "The very best from every production run since my first day on the job." Unfortunately, he accidently dropped the jar again, the container shattering. The sight made him sigh and turn back to them, "But why hold onto the past, really?"

Fluttershy shot her brother a glare, trotting up to him with the same tone that had once caused a dragon to cry. "You can't just fly in and change everything Mom and Dad have built here."

"But this is the only place big enough for my studio slash meditation garden. Ooh! Unless I do it in the living room!"

Fluttershy facehoofed while her parents shared a glance, only to see her daughter look back at them, "I know speaking up for yourself can be hard, believe me, but Zephyr will never stand on his own if he can lean on you."

Zephyr, who had been making his way over to the house, rolled his eyes. "Don't be so dramatic, sis!" He put his hooves around his parents, "Mom and Dad just wanna let me be me, right? I can do plenty on my own."

"I agree," Fluttershy nodded before flashing a hoof into his face, "Which is why you should move out."

"Oh. Well...I mean, I-I totally would, but...I don't think that's what Mom and Dad want!" He gave them both another puppy-dog look, "It's not, is it?"

"Ehhh..." was all Posy could say before she and Cirrus pulled away from him.

"You know we love you son, but your sister has a point."

To their surprise, Zephyr actually began to tear up, speaking up as he muttered out, "Sure...I mean, I really just came back here to keep you all company, but...whatever's best for the family." He started picking up some lawn ornaments. I just...I just gotta grab a few essentials."

Posy Shy grimaced at this as she asked, "And...y-you definitely have somewhere else to go?"

Fluttershy shook her head at her, mentally telling her not to open that window.

"Of course!" Zephyr replied. "There's plenty of ponies who'd love for a little breeze to blow their way..." He headed back inside, their parents now beginning to tear up as Fluttershy let out a sigh.

"Oh, I really hope this doesn't come back to bite me."


Several hours later...

As the sun slowly set, Iron Core was making his way towards Fluttershy's house. Due to the possibly criminal incursion, the defenders had chosen to take up a day and night watch. Flash and Springer would be taking the night shift while he, Lightning and Grand would be on the watch during the day.

He arrived at his girlfriend's house, walking inside as the many animals of the house chirping, purring and whatever other happy sounds they made when seeing him. "Hey everypony, you know if Fluttershy's-WHOA!" He suddenly found himself tripping on something.

The defender let out a groan before getting up, "What the-" He now saw he had tripped on one of Fluttershy's hoof-stools, which she usually kept near the couch. "What's going on?" It was then he heard the bathroom door open, Iron now seeing Zephyr Breeze walking out while wearing a robe and a towel wrapped around his mane.

"Zephyr's so great," he sang as he began to descend the stairs, only to go wide-eyed as he saw Iron.

The two were silent and blinked at one another until both yelled out in unison, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?!"

"Breaking and entering's illegal pal!" Zephyr barked back, only for Iron to growl at him, making the pegasi stumble back, "J-j-just get out of here before I call the authorities."

"I am the authorities, Zephyr." Iron hissed, "Would you like me to arrest you for breaking and entering?!"

"Y-y-you can't do that!"

"I can, and-"

"Iron?" said a small voice, making him look down and see a shrunken Fluttershy, the mare staring up at him as she flew out of a mouse hole. "You're early." She returned to normal size, "I wanted to explain everything to you before you arrived."

"What's going on?" He asked before pointing at Zephyr, "What's he doing here?!"

Fluttershy let out a long sigh, "My brother's going to be living here for a while."

"WHAT?!" Iron's eyes went wider then his mouth could open, making Zephyr laugh.

"You heard her," he smirked, only to be on the receiving end of his sister's scowl.

"Don't." She turned back to Iron. "I've agreed to let him stay here-" She put a hoof on Iron's lips at this, "But with some conditions. He has to get a job." Iron raised an eyebrow at this while Zephyr shot him a childish grin behind her back. "Just...give this a chance."

Iron glared at him, only to see conflict on Fluttershy's face. Sighing at this, he replied, "Fine. But I'm not happy about this."

"I know." She turned to her brother, "And you have to stay out of Iron's way. Don't do anything to try and get a rise out of him."

"Moi?" Zephyr asked, "I wouldn't try anything of the sort. Though why is he here?"

"Iron is allowed to be here whenever he wants," Fluttershy replied.

"What?! Why?!" Zephyr yelped, "You're not...living together, are you?!" This question got a blush out of Fluttershy and a scowl from Iron. "Do mom and dad know about this?!"

"We're not living together. Iron lives in a hut down the road."

"But he might spend the night?"

"If he wants to stay, that's none of your business. Just stay out of his way and he'll stay out of yours, understand?!"

Zephyr did a small nod back before running upstairs, Fluttershy letting out a groan. "Are you sure this is such a good idea?" Iron asked as Zephyr left, "Do you actually think he's gonna go looking for a job? He'll probably just go out tomorrow and come back saying nopony wanted to hire him, even though he didn't try anything."

The question made Fluttershy blink, sighing before doing a small nod, "You're right. If that's the case...I'll have to help him."

Iron raised an eyebrow at this, the royal knight now seeing her rarely used scheming face. "Oh, this'll be fun."


The next day...

Iron had been trotting through the town on patrol for almost three hours now, having started at sun up. He had been surprised when Fluttershy had gotten up at the same time, telling him she had plans for her brother which required being up early.

He had left the house, fighting the temptation to roll the sleeping Zephyr off his couch bed, and began his search for the criminals. But as the ponies of the town started waking up and opening their stores for the day, Iron had yet to find anything remotely suspicious.

"Hey Iron!" He spun around, half reaching for his weapon until he saw the voice's owner was Fire Heart. The apprentice knight smiled up at him while Ace sat beside him, using his back leg to scratch behind his ear. "What's up?"

"Nothing. Shouldn't you be in school?"

"It's Saturday."

"Eh, that's just an old excuse. What do you want?"

Heart shinnied a big grin, "Well, Flash and Springer are sleeping, so there's no training for us today. So we thought maybe we could help you guys catch the criminals."

"You thought that," Ace corrected him, "I wanted to use the free day to sleep in and read a comic." He let out a yawn as Heart rolled his eyes.

"What did he say?" Iron asked, only for Heart to shake his head.

"Nothing. Anyways, can we help out? I could fly up and do some aerial recon-against?" He did a small cough, "Uh...re-consequence?"

"Reconnaissance?" Iron asked, getting a nod from Heart. "Fine. But if you see anything, don't intervene. Just tell me, Grand or Lightning. Whoever's closest."

Heart nodded again and was about to say something else, but Iron spotted a pair of mares in the distance. It was Fluttershy and Rarity, both walking through the town while carrying some shopping bags. He also noticed a particular lack of one annoying pegasi, making him wonder where Zephyr had weaseled off too. "Hey," he trotted over to the pair as they turned to them, "So how's the job hunt going?" He asked as Heart and Ace joined them.

"Hopefully, it's going well."

"What's he doing?" Ace asked, Heart translating.

"I asked him to die some fabric. It's so easy a child could do it. In fact, it's one of the jobs I give Sweetie whenever she want's extra allowance. If she can do it, it shouldn't be any issue for a grown pony like Zephyr."

"I don't know about that," Iron grumbled. "He may be a grownup in the physical sense...but mentally, I think your sister's got him beat." Heart and Ace laughed while Rarity rolled her eyes, Fluttershy sighing at this. "I just hope you've got a backup plan if this goes badly."

"You could always send him to the castle," Heart chimed in, "There's always a bunch of chores Twilight gets us to do. Like washing the windows. She usually has me, Flash or Soul do that because we can fly."

"I'll keep that in mind," Fluttershy replied as they got to the boutique before turning to Rarity, "But thanks for giving my brother a job. I just hope he's up to the task."

"Oh, darling," Rarity laughed while opening the door. "Dyeing fabric is the simplest thing!" They both headed inside, and as much as Iron wanted to see the undeniable disaster that was awaiting them, his own work took precedent.

"Alright kid," he turned back to Heart. "Let's get to work." He pointed at Ace, "Can he scan for negative auras?"

"Um...kinda." Heart replied, "Springer says Ace needs more training."

"No I don't!" Ace pouted back.

Heart then leaned up to Iron, whispering, "Honestly, I just want Ace to get out more. He's been getting really lazy recently."

"Reminds me of somepony…" Iron sighed before pointing upward, "Alright, fly him up and see if he can scan anything."

Heart put Ace on his back, taking to the air. As he did this, Iron heard the sound of the boutique's doors open, turning back to see Zephyr trot out of the store looking satisfied with himself. Iron wasn't sure at first if that look was for a job well done, or finding a way to get out of a considerably easy job.

He soon got his answer when Fluttershy flew out store, chasing after him as he growled at his girlfriend's wasted efforts. "Maybe I should get him signed up for the guard. Then when he gives up, he'll be arrested and won't be a bother to anypony." He chuckled to himself as he imagined Zephyr wearing a guard's uniform, knowing something like that would never happen.

The hours soon passed as Iron continued to patrol, questioning several local ponies, but still not finding anything. He had also spotted Fluttershy and her brother heading for the castle an hour ago, now guessing his lover was taking up Heart's suggestion to get him a job there. While he wanted to see how things were going, he had to met up with Grand, Lightning, Heart and Ace to compare notes. But so far, there was nothing to suspect.

"So what do we do?" Heart asked Grand, "How long will it be until it's decided they're not coming?"

"Protocol dictates we continue our patrol until we get word that the criminals have been seen. If they're spotted somewhere out of the town's way, we can determine they aren't going to head to Ponyville. But if they're located close to the town, then we'll continue to up our security until we know anything new."

"Is the furball sensing anything?" Lightning asked, getting a head shake from Ace. "Dang it."

"Cut him some slack," Grand told his grandson. "Ace is still young. It'll be a while before he's able to sense auras to the level Springer can. For now, we just need to focus on doing this the old fashioned way."

They nodded and broke apart again, Heart taking to the skies while Iron trotted through town. It was around one PM by the time his stomach told him it was time to fill it, quickly grabbing a roll of bread from a bakery and snacking on it while continuing his march. And as he did this, he saw Zephyr strolling through town with a smirk on his face.

"What are you looking so happy about?" He spoke up, catching the pegasi's attention. "What happened? Weasel your way out of another job?"

"Zephyr Breeze doesn't weasel his way out of anything," the stallion replied, "But if you must know, I managed to find a shortcut to finish a job Fluttershy gave me. Not my fault they're jealous they didn't think of it."

"What did you do?" He groaned.

"Nothing you need to worry about. All that matters is I finished the job and now, I can get back to what I'm truly meant to be doing."

"Lazing around doing nothing until something catches your eye, only to get bored with it five minutes later?!"

Zephyr glared back at him, "You know, I think it's high time you started showing me a little respect!"

This statement got Iron to laugh, making the pegasi growl at him. That is, till Iron shined a long glare at the stallion, "You want me to show you respect?! Why should I?! What have you ever done to earn respect from...anypony?!" He then pointed up, "You see that pegasus up there? The red one in the hoodie that's looking around." Zephyr stared up at Heart, seeing him hover around, "That's Fire Heart, an apprentice knight. Usually he would be spending this day training to one day become a knight."

Zephyr let out a huff, "Foal cruelty much?"

"The point, is that he got the day off today. He could have done anything he wanted to do, but you know what he decided to spend the day doing?" Zephyr shook his head, "Helping us track down criminals. He didn't have to help. He's under no obligation too help, and if he quit right now, he wouldn't face any punishment because he originally volunteered. But he's not going to quit for the same reason he offered his services, because he cares about other ponies aside from himself. That kind of dedication has earned him my respect. Because that's how one gets respect, by earning it. What have you done to earn it?"

Zephyr frowned as he continued to stare at the young colt in the sky.

"I'll admit Heart has a long way to go, but earning respect is one of the first steps. If you want ponies to respect you, give them a reason. Because nopony's gonna respect a lazy, arrogant, selfish do nothing that only ever cares for himself and doesn't care that he's making other pony's lives harder with his attitude." Zephyr remained quiet, Iron unsure if his words had sunken in or if he was just coming up with some excuse.

"IRON!" The two were pulled away from their conversation to see Heart pointing in one direction. "Grand's chasing somepony!" Iron quickly ran off, telling the pegasi to find Lightning. He ran as fast as he could, eventually jumping out onto a street in time to see the Great Mountain chasing after a trio of unicorns.

And as he charged, Grand saw him and yelled, "It's them!"

"Got it!" Iron pulled out his Celestic Gear, spinning it in his hoof. The three unicorns turned back at this, now seeing they weren't getting away.

"Out of our way!" One yelled before they all started firing magic blasts, Iron dodging them with the slightest of movements.

However, a girly scream made him look back, now seeing Zephyr taking a strange pose with scorch marks on the wall behind him. Iron let out a sigh, mentally asking why he had followed and why he wasn't running. And as another wave of magic came barreling at them, Iron began to swing his weapon around to deflect those attacks. As this happened, Zephyr stared at him, gasping at the sight of Iron's skill.

But as the last blast was deflected, Iron quickly slammed the end of his spear into the ground. Seconds later, a large wall of metal shot out of the ground right in front of the criminals. The three couldn't stop themselves in time, all crashing into it, all groaning as they bounced off the wall. Seconds later, Grand slammed his hammer into the ground, making three more walls that trapped the three.

"Hey!" One of the unicorns cried, "Let us out!"

"Don't worry," another said, "I'll blast us out."

"Oh, I don't think so." The three looked up to see Lightning atop the wall. His horn sparked before he sent a bolt of lightning flying into the prison, zapping them all. Once he was done, he hopped off the walls as they retracted back into the ground.

The three criminals were laid out now, twitching with smoke coming out of their ears. The defenders smirked as Heart and Ace landed beside them, Lightning ruffling the colt's hair while Grand thanked them for their hard work. "Let's get these three behind bars." the older pony told the rest.

And as they worked to get them over to the jail, Zephyr continued to stare at Iron until he noticed, "What?!"

"That...was so cool!" He exclaimed, "How the heck are you able to do something like that?! You dodged those blasts like they were nothing and then deflected them with barely a look at what you were doing." He shined a big smile, "If I was able to do stuff like that-" He didn't get to finish as Iron bonked him on the head, "Ow!"

"You're a million years away from doing something like that."

"Really?"

"Yes. You know how I'm able to do that?" He shook his head, "Because I worked hard, failed a ton, and I kept trying. And even when I failed all those times, I didn't give up. It took years of time and discipline."

Zephyr let out a long sigh, "Then what's the point?! Life's too short to waste it like that!"

"Waste it?!" Iron yelped before pointing at the criminals they had caught. "I wouldn't call my time training as a waste. Because of that time, I'm a Royal Knight, and have the respect of many ponies."

"I could be a Royal Knight if I didn't have to waste all my time with that silly training all those other ponies would have to do! Seriously, why can't the less talented ponies get it that they're dragging us truly skilled ones down?!"

Iron sighed while rolling his eyes, "That's another thing. I don't blame other ponies for my shortcomings."

"Shortcomings?!" Zephyr barked, "I don't have shortcomings!"

"I'd call always giving up without even trying a pretty big shortcoming."

"Maybe I'm just smart enough to realize something isn't worth doing."

"You'd think breathing wasn't worth doing if you could survive without it!" Iron almost yelled before letting out a huff, "I'm done. Go annoy somepony else. I've got more important things to worry about than you."

"Now who's the one giving up!" Zephyr smirked before another voice caught his attention.

"Zephyr!" They both turned to see Fluttershy, "Are you bothering Iron again?! He doesn't have time to waste with you!" Both ponies now saw the glare on her face as she continued, "It's bad enough you made Spike do the work you were supposed to do!"

"Seriously?!" Iron yelled, "What are you, Hoofleberry Finn?!"

Zephyr shrunk back at this, "Oh, come on sis. I had to ask Spike to make sure I was doing it right."

Fluttershy jabbed a hoof into his chest. "You didn't do it at all!" Iron could see she was seconds away from going supersized, only for her to take a long deep breath before looking away, "Well, I guarantee there won't be any fooling around on the next job."

"Next job?" Zephyr yelped, only for something to shoot past them.

"That's right, Zeph!" They looked up and saw Rainbow, "You're coming with me!"


At Wonderbolts headquarters, Soarin was sitting on a cloud with both a stopwatch and a clipboard.

He looked down at Fleetfoot as she shot through the air, passing a checkpoint as Soarin quickly wrote down the time. But as Misty Fly began her run through the course, Soarin restarted the stopwatch before seeing something else that drew all of his attention.

It was his girlfriend flying to the base with somepony else in tow. A stallion to be precise.

Now Soarin didn't consider himself a jealous stallion. Rainbow could hang out with anypony, whether male of female, and he would be perfectly fine with it. But the look this stallion was giving her as he followed Rainbow was sending a shiver up the Wonderbolt's spine.

"So how'd I do!?" Soarin yelped out in surprise, almost falling off the cloud before turning to Misty Fly, "I think that was my best time yet."

"Err..." Soarin looked down at the watch, only to see the clock still going. His eyes then shifted between her and Rainbow, then passed the watch and clipboard over to Misty. "Do me a favor and take over."

"Wha-" Was all she could say as he flew off.

He glided over to Rainbow as she landed with the stallion. "Now remember what I told you. Don't think I wasn't bluffing when I said it."

"Alright alright..." the stallion replied while waving his hoof, "No need to get your mane in a knot Rainbows. Can't you see this is destiny at work?" He suddenly put a hoof around the mare and pulled her up close, "You and me, together like nature intended."

Rainbow's face scrunched up at this, only for her heart to stop when she heard a voice. "Rainbow?" She looked up to see Soarin floating down.

"Soarin!" Rainbow slammed Zephyr in the chest, making him stagger back, "This is not what it looks like!"

"I don't even know what it looks like," Soarin replied before pointing at Zephyr. "Who's this guy?"

"Zephyr Breeze, Fluttershy's little brother. We've been trying to get him a job, so I thought maybe he could do something here."

"Don't let her fool you," Zephyr responded while trying to get up, "Dashy here just can't stand being away from me for too long. Ain't that right Rainbows?" He was about to lean against the mare, but she quickly stepped out of the way, making him fall down with a yelp.

"Zephyr..." Rainbow growled before pointing to Soarin, "Let me introduce you to Soarin...my boyfriend."

This statement made Zephyr gasp, only to start glaring at the Wonderbolt, "Him?! Doesn't look like much."

"Neither do you," Rainbow barked back, "Now enough of your games and let's get to work."

"Any idea what you want him to do?" Soarin asked, "I'm guessing something simple."

"Super simple," Rainbow sighed, "And I know this sounds stupid, but I need it to be something so basic that even he can't find a way to mess it up."

"I think I have a few ideas," Soarin replied with a smirk.

"Good. I'm gonna go grab a storm cloud." Soarin raised an eyebrow as she saw her fly off, only to look back at Zephyr...and see him now making an armchair out of clouds.

"Alright boring," he chuckled. "What's the first job?"

"It's Soarin," he deadpanned, "Now get off that chair and follow me."

And before Zephyr could reply, he was dragged off to the first job. It was trash pickup, Soarin showing him where they kept a large wheelie-bin and claw stick. Zephyr looked horrified at the prospect of picking up trash, but when Rainbow arrived carrying a large storm cloud with her, he quickly grabbed the items, but refused to wear the jumpsuit Soarin had offered.

And so he started lazily pushing the bin around and picking up the trash, putting in just enough effort so Rainbow wouldn't zap him. The bin slowly filled up with more trash that somepony had either dropped, or which had blown onto the runway by the wind. Soarin had returned to taking speed notes, but kept an eye out to make sure Zephyr didn't slack off. But after an hour, he seemed to almost be done...only for a new problem to occur.

"Hey ladies," Zephyr smirked as Blaze and High Winds trotted past him, "You two were flying pretty well out there," he tried to show his 'sexy' smile while pushing the bin forward. "But why don't we meet up later so I can give you some flying tips?"

"ZEPHYR!" Rainbow yelled, "Look out!" Zephyr turned his head, only to now see another pony pushing a bin full of freshly cleaned uniforms. The pegasus had just pushed the bin in front of Zephyr, trying to go faster but Zephyr was going too fast.

The sound of two bins hitting each other came next, trash flying everywhere along with freshly cleaned uniforms, "Oops." Blaze and High Winds gasped at this while Soarin and Rainbow facehoofed.

"Eyes on where you're going!" Rainbow screeched before threatening to electrocute him.

Once they had cleaned up the mess and apologized, well...Rainbow and Soarin did, they had Zephyr do a less messy task. The job was to collect any cloud that was blown away by the Wonderbolts as they shot by and return it to the circuit, since they acted like cushions in case a pegasus flew out of control and needed to be stopped.

However, Zephyr soon found himself molding the clouds instead of returning them. He was so busy making rabbits and ducks that an area he was supposed to reinforce wasn't strong enough when Silver Zoom took a turn to sharply and slammed into it.

"GYAH!" He cried as he flew through the air, crashing into the side of a building, Soarin and Rainbow gasping at the sight.

"Somepony get him some ice!" Soarin screamed before he and Rainbow shot Zephyr a scowl.

"HIGH-AYE-AYE!" Zephyr screamed as he was zapped by Rainbow's storm cloud as the medics ran over to check on Silver.

Once they made sure the Wonderbolt wasn't to badly hurt, a mild concussion and some bruised ribs, the two put Zephyr on one more job. One so simple that they were convinced he couldn't mess it up: Dish washing.

They threw Zephyr into the kitchen, where a mountain of dirty dishes, pots and pans were waiting to be cleaned. They locked him inside, telling him he wasn't leaving until every pan dish was spotless, then went to go check on Silver Zoom. That took about an hour, plenty of time for Zephyr to do a proper job.

"Ten bits says he's not even half done," Rainbow commented as they returned to the kitchen.

"We both know that's a sucker's bet," Soarin laughed as they opened the doors. And when they walked inside, they found the dirty dish mountains...were completely gone. And on the other side of the sink were stacks of clean dishes.

Zephyr was sitting next to the sink eating a bag of popcorn that he had gotten out of the fridge. "Finally." he moaned, "Can I go now?"

The Wonderbolts shared a glance, Rainbow guarding the door before he could escape. "Hold it. We need to check these dishes first." Zephyr sighed as Soarin moved over to grab a plate off the top of the pile and inspected it, seeing not a spot on it. The same were said for the pans and cutlery.

"You see? Spotless. So can I go now?" Rainbow and Soarin shared a look again, only for Soarin to turn back to the sink. "What are you doing?" Zephyr asked as the Wonderbolt moved several dishes aside to get to the ones at the bottom, the lazy pegasus sweating as Soarin picked one of the plates up...and turn it over to reveal dried bean sauce on it.

"Zephyr..." Rainbow growled, "Did you really think you were gonna get away with this?"

"Um...maybe?"

"Do them all again," Rainbow hissed while pointing at the dish mountain.

"Again?!" Zephyr yelped before glaring back at Rainbow, "You know what, no! I've got better things to do then slave away doing something so pointless."

"How is this pointless?!" Soarin replied, "The dishes need to be cleaned!"

"They're only dirty because you Wonderbolts ate off of them! Same with those other tasks! There wouldn't be any trash to pick up or clouds the grab if you weren't wasting time doing this silly Wonderbolts stuff. There are a million things more important then flying really fast, and I refuse to be apart of such pointless things!"

"Zephyr..." Rainbow growled as she and Soarin glared at him.

Seeing this, Zephyr pushed past Rainbow and took to the air. "I'm leaving!" He yelled back, only for Rainbow to zip right past him, pulling out the thunder cloud at the same time. But before she could use it, he then barked, "Here's what I think of your stupid Wonderbolts!" With that, he slammed his hooves into the cloud, trying to bust it. Alas, he had no clue how to properly buck a storm cloud, and his hooves were still wet from the sink, making him now get zapped, "GYAH!"

Rainbow and Soarin flinched at the sight, both looking away until the sound of lightning faded and Zephyr's screams died down. They looked back at the pegasus, now seeing his mane and tail going frizzy, while also being burnt at the ends. "You okay?"

Zephyr didn't say anything back, simply flying off as Rainbow let out a sigh. As she did this, Soarin asked her, "That guy is really related to Fluttershy?"

"Unfortunately."

"Is he...adopted?"

"Nope. I asked that very same question and then had to suffer through an hour of photos from his birth." The pegasi both shivered in horror.

"So what do you think's gonna happen to him now?"

"Best guess, Fluttershy's gonna either find another job for him or she's gonna throw him out of the house. Maybe being homeless will finally teach him to be self-reliable." She turned to Soarin, "Wanna go see what happens after practice?"

"Only if you make a bet on it."

"Oh, you are so on!"


When the pegasi arrived at Fluttershy's house, they discovered Fluttershy had done the latter and kicked Zephyr out. Iron Core was also there, and together the three helped Fluttershy clean up the mess Zephyr had made in the twenty-four hours he had stayed there. Iron and Soarin were moving Fluttershy's furniture back where it was supposed to be while Rainbow helped Fluttershy sweep up the kitchen. But as Fluttershy emptied her dustpan into the garbage, Rainbow saw the big frown on her face.

"Aw, cheer up Fluttershy. I know it was hard, but you did the right thing." She pointed at her with the broom, "You couldn't let Zephyr pull the same stuff on you that he's always pulled on your folks!"

"She's right," Iron added, "He's had plenty of chances to straighten up and fly right, but instead of doing the right thing, he chose to do the Zephyr thing. Well these are the consequences for it."

Soarin nodded in agreement while Fluttershy sighed. "I guess so...I just wish I could straighten him up."

As she said this, a tweeting sound caught her ears, making her turn to an open window. There a red bird landed and continued tweeting. "Oh, hello Constance!" She held an ear to the bird as it chirped, Fluttershy gasping, "Oh?" She spun around to the others in the room, "Oh dear. That's not good."

"What now?" Iron asked with a sigh, Rainbow and Soarin raising an eyebrow.


It turns out that after Zephyr was kicked out of Fluttershy's house, the only place he could find that would let him stay rent free...was the Everfree Forest. Despite only being there for maybe an hour or so, Zephyr wasn't looking so great. He was covered in mud, his mane filled with sticks and leaves, and strangest of all, he was talking to his mannequin head.

"See, Wigford?" He told the mannequin, "The Breeze needs nopony!" He turned to his camp, which consisted of a poorly made shelter, a bowl of salad and an unlit fire-pit filled with rocks, leaves and sticks. "We've got food, shelter...just need to put the old kettle on." He grabbed a pot and put it onto the fire-pit, then started throwing rocks into the pit.

Those watching him weren't sure if he expected that to actually light the fire at first, but Zephyr's impatient face soon answered that question. "Come on, sticky-sticky," he told the fire-pit. "Make with the sparks!" He grabbed a stick and tapped it onto the pan, only for the stick to break and knock over the pan. "Ugh!" He groaned as the water spilled out, "What's a pony got to do to find a decent stick around here?!" He then kicked the stick, only for it to rebound off a rock and hit him in the face.

This seemed to be the last straw as he started ripping his camp apart with yells of frustration.

"Is it wrong that I'm enjoying this?" Iron whispered.

"Why didn't I bring a camera?" Soarin laughed while Rainbow and Fluttershy shared a glance.

"I know he needs to learn to do things for himself, but..." Rainbow added.

"Oh, I can't let him live like this." Fluttershy moaned as Zephyr cried out in pain, his shelter collapsing on him after kicking one of the supports. It was only leaves and sticks, but it was enough.

Rainbow turned back to Fluttershy. "Actually, I don't think he'd make it through the night."

Fluttershy sighed before walking into Zephyr's camp, the mare knocking a pile of leaves over as Zephyr's head poked out. "Fluttershy!" He gasped, "Hey! I was just um...cozying up in my sleeping bag!" He pulled the leaves and sticks around him, "Ready to call it an early night!" He let out a mock yawn. "Such an exhausting day, y'know?"

"The sun's still up," Soarin added while Zephyr smirked at the girls.

"You know me! Siesta..." But before anypony could say anything, one of the branches fell down and conked him on the head. Zephyr flinched in pain, tears now appearing in his eyes, "Ugh...I can't do this." He covered his face with his hooves, "I can't do anything."

Fluttershy sighed as he removed the branch from his head, then started stroking his mane. "Zephyr, you're smart and talented. You could do anything if you just tried!"

"And what if I give everything I have and still fail?!" He asked before looking away. "Honestly, I think it's better to not try at all."

"But then you won't ever do anything," Rainbow added.

Zephyr just growled back, "I don't expect you to understand. I mean, when have you ever failed?! You've literally helped save Equestria like, a dozen times."

"And I was worried that I'd fail every time!" Fluttershy instantly replied, "Sometimes you have to do things, even though you might fail."

"But failing is the worst!" Zephyr groaned.

"And quitting doesn't feel much better, does it?"

"I..." Zephyr tried to say before glancing away, "No."

"And failure isn't always a bad thing," Soarin responded, "I've failed tons of times, but I didn't let it stop me. In fact, I used those failures to help me realize what I had to do to get better. I've never failed at the same thing twice because I learned from the first failure."

Iron nodded in agreement, "You only ever really fail if you give up. Being good at something isn't just doing it right every time. Its also about picking yourself up after you mess up and trying again."

Fluttershy smiled at her friends before looking back at Zephyr. "Zephyr...I'm going to help you, so here's the deal: You can come back with me, but you have to do exactly what I say. No exceptions."

Zephyr glanced back at his new home, only to stare at his sister and say, "I will literally do anything you ask of me if it means I don't have to stay here."

They all nodded back, smiles on their faces as they thought they had finally gotten through to him.


The group soon returned to Fluttershy's house, the yellow pony leading her brother to an empty room where he could finally do something on his own. The plan was simple: Get Zephyr to complete a proper mane-style on his mannequin. If he could do that, he could do anything.

"Okay," Fluttershy turned to Zephyr and pointed to the door, "You know what you have to do, right?"

Zephyr put a hoof to his chin in thought, "Beg for help, then quit when I get frustrated?" They all glared at him at this, the pegasus chuckling. "Just kidding! Total opposite of that. Got it." He opened the door and headed inside, putting his mannequin on a table.

Rainbow let out a sigh, turning to Fluttershy. "You think he can do it?" As she asked that, the inbuilt music maker all ponies appeared to have started playing.

(Fluttershy)
Everypony has times in their lives
When their hearts are filled with doubt

(Zephyr Breeze)
Frustration builds up inside
And it makes you want to shout

Rainbow and Fluttershy walked into the room and put a supportive hoof around him.

(Rainbow)
But if you just take that first step
The next one will appear

Before either of them could sing anything else, Iron shut the door so all he and Soarin could hear were their muffled voices. "Hey!" Soarin yelped, "Watcha do that for?!"

"I don't sing, and you can't sing," he grumbled before leaning against the wall. "Probably best to let them deal with this." Soarin pouted and listened at the door, the song going on and on until Zephyr let out a mighty cry.

(Zephyr)
I can do it on my own

Soarin took this as the cue to open the door, poking his head inside. There he found Zephyr holding his mannequin, this one sporting an actual mane-do. And Zephyr was more shocked than anypony. "I did it!" He exclaimed, "I actually finished something! By myself!"

"And it looks exactly like it's supposed to," Rainbow added.

Fluttershy almost smiled and patted his shoulder, "I knew you could do it, Zephyr."

"I didn't!" The tall pegasus replied, his face softening at this, "But I do now. Thanks for believing in me, sis."

The two shared a hug as she responded, "That's what big sisters are for."

"So Zeph..." Rainbow commented once they had pulled apart, "Now that you've accomplished this, what's next?"

"Anything I want!" Zephyr yelled, "I mean, the sky's the limit, right?" The four glared at him, Zephyr letting out a chuckle. "But, y'know...I've got some baby steps in mind."


A few months later...

Fluttershy's parents had invited Rainbow and Fluttershy to dinner again. This time, Iron and Soarin had joined for the meal. Rainbow was the first to finish, the mare letting out a delighted moan and licking her lips. "Thanks for dinner, Mr. and Mrs. Shy! It was great as usual."

"Of course." Posy replied before turning to the rest, "And thank you all for not giving up on Zephyr. I know he seems to be more trouble than he's worth but-"

"That's an understatement," Iron chimed in while the others laughed, Fluttershy giving them all a hopeful smile.

"Have you heard from Zephyr? Is he doing well?"

"I tell you," Cirrus smirked. "He's a brand new pony! So full of drive and determination."

"Heh, that's great." Rainbow replied while putting her hooves behind her head. And as she said that, the door was suddenly thrown open as Zephyr trotted in wearing graduate's clothing.

"Guess who graduated from mane therapy training?" He sang before throwing his cap over to Rainbow, the mare laughing as it landed on her head.

"Awesome!"

"Congratulations, son!" Cirrus and Posy moved over to hug him as Rainbow placed his cap back on his head.

"You look so handsome!" Posy added while tearing up as Fluttershy stood up.

"I'm so proud of you, Zephyr."

"Yeah," Iron nodded, "Now you actually have something to boast about."

Zephyr let out a small laugh, "It was only a matter of time before they recognized my true genius!" Fluttershy and Iron both gave him a glare at this, Zephyr backpedaling, "But...actually doing the work probably helped, and I wouldn't have if it weren't for you."

Fluttershy waved her hoof with a blush on her face, "Oh, I just gave you some encouragement. You did this on your own."

Zephyr nodded back, "And honestly, right now I feel like I can do anything...except find a place." He chuckled before pulling his folks in for a hug. "I can still crash here for a few days, right?" Everypony rolled their eyes while Soarin let out a laugh.

"You know, the royal guards always have a spare bunk to share if you want to place that's rent free. I'm sure they'll let you stay if you help them out with a few things." Everypony let out another laugh at that, all happy Zephyr had finally found his place in the world. And who knows what crazy adventures await him in his future, along with everypony else. Only time would tell.

Author's Note:

This one was hard to write. Not because it was a tricky chapter. Zephyr's just a character I have trouble writing because he reminds me so much of...me. Hope you enjoyed it.