• Published 15th Jul 2020
  • 1,922 Views, 59 Comments

A Hogwarts Overtale - Tums Festival



After having a falling out with Princess Celestia, Sunset Shimmer volunteers to become the first Equestrian Elf to attend a human magic school. However, she quickly finds that she isn't the only unusual individual Hogwarts bound.

  • ...
8
 59
 1,922

Parallels

“It appears McGonagall is more distrusting of us than I originally believed,” Missy said, gazing intently at Sunset in the dark, single-torch lit room. “I suppose I can’t really blame her. The last ‘government’ representative to grace this castle wasn’t exactly the most… amicable."

Sunset shifted nervously.

Missy merely laughed. “Don’t worry, dearest, I’ve already deduced Hermione’s motives for this trespass. You don’t need to explain her actions to me.” She then cocked her head slightly. “Though do wonder as to your reasons for being down here.”

Sunset took a deep breath. “We were just worried about Hermione.”

“Now that is curious,” Missy smiled. “A lot to put on the line for someone you’ve only known for… what, a day? And why would you believe she’d be in such grave danger?”

‘Hoooo boy’, Sunset thought. ‘Should I tell her the truth? That we thought you might be some kind of monster? The bad kind, that is.’

Then, something happened Sunset wouldn’t have expected in a thousand years.

That was actually my bad,” Flowey said, a hint of reluctance in his tone.

“‘Your bad’?” Missy blinked. “In what way?”

“I may have sort of convinced these idiots that the Federation was… a little evil,” Flowey said, smiling innocently. “You in particular.”

“I see,” Missy said. Sunset could practically see the wheels turning in her head. “So heeding your warning, they came down here to save Hermione from us. Is that it?”

“Yup,” Flowey said bluntly.

It took all of Sunset’s will to keep her jaw from hanging open. Was Flowey… actually keeping them out of trouble?

“How did you know she would even be in such horrible peril-” she giggled the last part. “-in the first place?”

“Cus…” Flowey said. “We… saw her go through the barrier.”

Missy’s face was drenched with skepticism. “You… ‘saw’ her?”

“She wasn’t wearing the cloak at the time,” Flowey said, managing to keep his voice fairly smooth.

Missy glanced at him pensively.

Flowey put on his best poker face.

Missy narrowed her eyes, raising a single eyebrow.

Flowey made a face practically screaming, 'Come at me, bro'.

Finally, Missy shrugged, and in a cheerful tone, said, “Whelp. Good enough for me.”

Sunset’s eyes widened to the point she was sure they were going to burst out of their sockets. “W-What? Really?”

"I see no need to press the matter further," she said pleasantly. "If anything, this may be my fault for not being more open with McGonagall when we first started. An error I will soon correct."

"So… Hermione isn't in trouble, either?" Sunset asked.

Missy chuckled heartily. "No, I don't believe that will be necessary. Though I don’t believe she was technically acting under McGonnagall’s orders, the influence the headmistress has on the young lady speaks for itself." She tapped her chin. "In fact, I’d almost like to thank her. This whole incident has presented a rather interesting opportunity."

She glanced at Flowey with a coy smirk. And for a brief second, her eyes flashed a brilliant shade of cyan.

"A very interesting opportunity."

For the first time since she had met the potted Monster, Flowey actually looked a little unnerved.

"Uh…" Sunset said, raising a finger.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to sound so ominous," Missy giggled. "I just believe that Flowey, is it? Might be able to help with the experiment we've been conducting down here."

"Yeah, not happening," Flowey said stubbornly.

Missy then turned back to Sunset, seemingly ignoring him. "And perhaps you as well, Ms. Shimmer, if you can master the fine art of SOUL magic."

Sunset shot her a confused look. "What exactly is this 'experiment', if you don't mind me asking?" she asked. "And why do you need our help?"

"Flowey here, being a Monster, is a natural at SOUL magic, and we haven't yet had an Equestrian Elf try their hand at what we're trying to do," Missy explained. "Both I and Dr. Alphys would like to mix and match every variable possible within reason. However, until you're in a position to help, no offense, let's just consider further information an incentive."

Sunset glanced away from her. “I guess that’s fair.”

“I knew you would understand.” Missy then cleared her throat. "Anyway, I'm sure your friends will like to hear the good news. Why don't we let them know? Then, Sergeant Undyne can escort you back.”

Then, throwing Sunset off her guard even further, as she walked towards the door, she began to sing. The tune was somewhat… haunting.

“Come along with me,
And the butterflies and bees.
We can wander through the forest,
And do so as we please.”

Sunset shook her head in dismay, before Flowey cast her a glare. “Before we leave, Knife Ears: a word of warning.” He made a slitting action across his ‘throat’. “You tell anybody that I helped you out, especially Frisk, and you’ll wake up one day with vines wrapped around your neck. Got it?”

“You don’t want me telling them that you’re not actually a completely horrible person?” Sunset said, raising her eyebrows, and not phased at all by his threat.

“It’s a weakness, not a strength,” he spat. “Just remember what I told you, friendo.”

--

“Hah, I told you Director Who would go easy on you,” Undyne grinned, leading Sunset and her friends out of the Federation’s research zone. “She’s a little off her rocker, but there’s no genius without a little crazy, right?”

“You think she’s a genius?” Luna asked hopefully.

“Alphys does,” Undyne said. “And her word’s good enough for me with that kind of stuff.”

Luna smiled brightly at that. Everything that had happened seemed to only further develop Missy’s status as an idol in Luna’s eyes. Sunset couldn’t exactly blame her, either. She was just happy she hadn’t said ‘I told you so’ yet. Not that it was really in Luna’s character to do so, from what she’d seen so far.

When they finally got to the barrier, they quickly crossed it, and Undyne stood before the group, between them and it. “Alright, punks, end of the line. Just want to say I’m glad none of you got in trouble. Especially you, Frisk - your mom would kill me.”

“Can you please not tell her I was down here?” Frisk begged.

Undyne rolled her eye. “If I did, we’d be the ones getting an earful. She’s actually been on McGonagall’s side when it comes to this whole deal.”

“And what side are you on?” Hermione asked, a distrustful look on her.

“Nobody’s,” she shrugged. “I’m just following orders for now.”

Frisk raised her eyebrows.

“Not like that, kid,” Undyne sighed. “I’m not some brainwashed grunt with no sense of right or wrong. I’ve learned the hard way that that’s a stupid philosophy, and so has MACO. If I thought what we were doing wasn’t in our best interests or overly dangerous, I’d report it. It’s what we’re supposed to do. Alphys thinks it’s fine, though, and I’d trust her on anything.”

Frisk thought for a second, then smiled warmly. “Sorry. I know that’s how you roll now.”

“Darn right,” Undyne grinned. “Just don’t try this again, okay? Minister Who would probably give you detention or something. And believe me, that is just the worst. Writing crap on chalkboards, sitting still for long periods of time? Ugh!” She then glanced about. “Though speaking of ‘detention’… Where did Slyvanas and Tarquin go? We need to have a little…”

She paused. The two of them had just rounded the corner, and upon seeing Undyne, they paused like a deer confronted with a flare spell. This was despite one of them being a six foot tall High Elf and the other a rather intimidating bird-like being.

“Oh crap,” the latter muttered.

Undyne grinned wickedly. “... Talk.”

--

On the way out of the dungeon, the group walked in near silence for a few moments. Sunset knew this wouldn’t last long, however, as Hermione looked like she had something to say, but couldn’t seem to find the words for it.

Though eventually, with her apparently giving up on tact, they came forth with the force of a freight train.

“I’m sorry, but I can’t hold my tongue any longer,Hermione cried. “Just what in the world were you all thinking?!

“Implying they’re capable of that,” Flowey chuckled.

Not now!” Hermione roared, actually leaving the monster stunned. “Entering a restricted Federation area? Risking getting expelled--” She nodded at Frisk and Luna, before turning to Sunset. “--Or even deported in your case! And all for what? My safety?

“Yes,” Sunset nodded, trying to keep herself cool. Hermione meant well, but it was never fun being dressed down by anyone.

“Well, that’s just great!” Hermione snapped. “And nice job with it, by the way. A bloody perfect, ten out of ten rescue! How did you even know I’d be in danger in the first place?!”

“Because Missy knows SOUL magic!” Frisk blurted out.

A beat of silence.

“And what does that matter?” Hermione said, calming slightly but still folding her arms.

“We guessed she might be able to see you underneath even Harry’s cloak,” Luna said softly. “And we guessed right.”

Something shifted in Hermione’s eyes. She was quickly calming down, but there were certainly more questions she needed answers to. “But… how did you even know I’d be going to the dungeon in the first place? With the cloak, no less?”

“A friend told us,” Frisk said, before quickly adding: “Though they didn’t know we would go after you. We just wanted to know where you were.”

“Ironically, because we wanted to talk to you about Missy’s SOUL magic abilities in the first place,” Sunset said.

Hermione’s expression grew softer. Though via passing a torch, Sunset could see the barest hint of hastily wiped off mascara beneath her eyes.

‘Has she been crying recently?’ Sunset asked herself solemnly.

“That… that makes sense, I suppose,” Hermione nodded, taking a deep breath. “I’m… sorry. I didn’t mean to blow up at you for this. You meant well, after all.” She smiled slightly, a warm look upon her. “In fact, to be honest, it reminds me of another time a few friends rescued me. In the very same dungeon, no less.”

“Er, attempted to rescue you in our case,” Sunset corrected.

Hermione laughed. “It’s the thought that counts, I suppose.”

“Was that when you, Harry, and Ron, fought the cave troll?” Luna asked.

Fighting it would be giving us far too much credit,” Hermione chuckled. "We had the grace of a dancer with two left feet going up against it. Or as Headmistress McGonagall put it, ‘sheer dumb luck’."

“Then what happened?” Frisk asked eagerly.

“Woo, yeah, tell us,” Flowey said, mostly sarcastically, though with an undercurrent of genuine curiosity in his tone.

Hermione smiled warmly, and Sunset would soon find out why.

“Well, it all started on All Hallow’s Eve, almost a decade ago…”

Deep into the evening, much to the delight of the group (even Flowey to a certain extent), Hermione began regalling them with tales of the many adventures she had partaken in in her early years at Hogwarts. Everything from fighting the cave troll in her first year, to finding the legendary Chamber of Secrets in her second, to fending off a werewolf in her third. Despite the peril she was frequently put in, she recalled the tales in the same tone someone would talk about a happy childhood.

Though notably, she never spoke of anything beyond her third year. Apparently, that perilous though exuberant first start only went up to a certain point, and then the simpler times came to an end.

Sunset couldn’t help but think back to Hermione’s ability to see thestrals, the many students calling her a ‘war hero’, Luna’s speech on bad moments sticking with a person, and the caked mascara on Hermione’s face.

The poor girl was still hurting - badly - and it was likely due to her seeing people she cared about pass. Luna, too, was likely hurting as well - she just wasn’t showing it as much.

‘I’ll need to find out more about the war… and its casualties,’ Sunset noted.

After they parted, and Sunset walked the corridor to the Hufflepuff dormitory with Frisk, and her thoughts turned to her, memories flashing before her eyes.

“And the one holding him is Frisk, the Hero of the Underground.”

“I’m not sure if hero is the right word…”

***

“You’ve never seen death before, have you?”

“Not in this timeline, anyway.”

***

"…Most of whom I sit upon have not started their stories, but you, on the other hand, already have quite the tale to tell. Many tales, in fact, separate but coinciding. Some so dark they would chill my bones if I had any."

***

“And don’t look down on me, by the way. You’re not any better, Ms. ‘Where Are The Knives?’I know you don’t want to remember what happened, but I do. And I don’t care if Chara had a helping hand, I don’t care if those things technically ‘never really happened’. They were still real to both you and me and you know it.”

Something terrible had happened during her time in the Underground. Something that only she and Flowey knew about. Whatever haunted her wouldn’t be as easy to find out as Hermione’s, but that didn’t matter.

All that mattered is her new group of friends needed help. And though Sunset knew nothing about how to console someone who lost a loved one, or who went through a dark journey, a newfound determination had sparked inside her. A determination to do what she could for them, even if she didn’t know exactly how to go about it just yet.

'I guess I was wrong,' she thought to herself. 'Maybe there is more for me here than just an education, after all.'