• Published 25th Aug 2012
  • 2,098 Views, 51 Comments

Strangers in a strange land - Snowy Flanks



Andy and his newphew are some how sent to Equestria, how will they adjust to their new lives?

  • ...
2
 51
 2,098

It was a uneventful day

It was a tranquil day. The kind of day you do not write about, or even remember. The sun was shining and the birds were singing. A few leaves danced across the grass; a typical mid-spring day. The wind was just strong enough to move the curtains in the open window and bring a slight breeze into the room. In the room Andy had his feet up on the coffee table doing one of the things he usually got to do since he stayed home all day; babysitting his nephew Jermaine while Alexis and Ethan took the twins to school. Finding Nemo was playing on the television but the volume had been turned down low so Jermaine wouldn’t wake up. The little tyke had fallen asleep right in Andy’s lap, his little head was resting on his chest and was letting out a little string of drool on Andy’s shirt but Andy didn’t mind, he just gentle rubbed Jermaine’s hair and wrapped his arms around Andy in a soft hug. This was the first time Jermaine had ever even wanted to sit next to him and he was not going to mess it up by making him cry.

Thinking back, Andy remembered how when he arrived Jermaine had been playing with his cars while everyone was getting ready for school. With a hug from Alexis and Ethan, Jermaine was left alone with him. Andy popped in the movie, got a cup of ginger ale and waited for his sister to get back. It was no big deal, just a typical watch the kid for a few minutes request. Jermaine came over to see the movie, Andy had patted to cushion beside him hoping for once Jermaine would sit next to him. To his surprise Jermaine climbed right up a sat down giggling at Dorry’s antics. When Bruce showed up Jermaine scooted over next to Andy and climbed up on to his lap. Slowly Andy began to drift off to a light sleep.

A noise woke Jermaine up and the little guy looked over at his parents then nuzzled back into Andy’s chest. Andy stood holding Jermaine in his arms as he walked over. Alexis put her keys down and turned to Andy.

“Did he give you any trouble?”

“Nope, put a movie in and the little guy fell asleep” said Andy patting Jermaine.

Leaning close to Jermaine and giving him a little kiss on the forehead Ethan asked “Did you enjoy spending time with Uncle Andy?”

Jermaine smiled.

“Well he still won’t talk to me, but he is letting me hold him so I’m happy” sighed Andy squeezing Jermaine a little.

“Thanks again for this Andy” said Alexis

“No need to worry, I love doing this, I get to spend time with him and every time he gets a little more used to me. It’s great, you know as long as I don’t have to change his diaper”

“So he didn’t go yet?”

“Nope”

“And you really don’t mind?” inquired Ethan

Chuckling a little, Andy replied “I live right up stairs, and I have a lot of time on my hands, why not spend as little with my favourite nephew, or either of my nieces, or all three? They like me and I like them. Plus you know they are family, and you have got to take care of family. I just glad you trust me enough to leaver me alone with them. To be honest I’m not sure what I would do if something went wrong.” Said Andy with a smile

“Don’t worry Andy, you would figure out something” said Ethan

“Yah you’re probably right, but it’s the panic time that worries me” said Andy looking down at the little boy still in his arms.

Ethan went over to his computer to check his email account and found that he could not connect to his account.

“Hey when did the internet cut out?” he asked turning to Andy.

“I don’t know it was working fine when I last used it. You’re the computer guy I’m sure you will figure it out.” Said Andy

The ceiling lights began to flicker and the three looked up.

“That’s strange the wind isn’t nearly strong enough to be doing that”

“Maybe the AC just kicked in, that sometimes makes the lights flicker”

The three are interrupted by a loud noise and the TV screen that was still playing Finding Nemo suddenly cuts to static

“Huh? That was a DVD, it shouldn’t even be able to play static, what’s happening?” said Andy taking a step back. The room began to get a little brighter “Now what?”

The light began to get brighter and brighter until in hurt Andy to keep his eyes open, Jermaine was pushing himself tightly into Andy and crying. The light seemed to becoming from all directions.

Alexis and Ethan were shielding there eyes from the glow that was surrounding Andy and their son until finally it was so bright that they had to cover and close their eye or risk being blinded. When they felt it was safe there eyes they looked around. The movie was back on, the ceiling lights were steady and the internet icon on the computer was showing a connection. But neither Andy nor Jermaine were anywhere to be seen.