• Published 11th Jun 2020
  • 3,231 Views, 43 Comments

The Magic Of Mermaids - Lonely Fanboy48



When Fluttershy and her friends arrive at the Aris Aquarium, they’ve encountered Equestrian Magic that turns the divers into mermaids.

  • ...
4
 43
 3,231

Aris Aquarium

The Rainbooms took a thirty minute drive from their neighborhood to one of Canterlot City’s largest aquariums. Novo’s Aris Aquarium. Rarity parked her RV at the parking lot that’s at the other side of the building. “We’re here darlings!” She smiled.

The girls headed outside of the fashionista’s RV as they looked at the aquarium itself. The big sign with two beautiful mermaids representing the signature style of the aquarium. The walls show many different sea creatures in a wonderful mural the employees worked so hard on. And finally, the famous Dolphin Show will take place tomorrow night where all the handlers and the adorable dolphins give the patrons a memorable send off for the tour.

“This is going to be awesome!” Rainbow commented.

“Can’t wait to study all the animals of the ocean.” Twilight added.

“And I’m so thrilled to meet those dolphins with their squeaky fins!” Pinkie squealed.

“Alright, calm down everybody.” Applejack turning around at Rarity’s RV. “We’re only here, because Fluttershy’s birthday is tomorrow.”

“That’s right.” Sunset chiming in. “She wanted to see the many kinds of fish that live in the ocean, so I asked her if she would spend her birthday at this aquarium, to which she happily agreed.”

Fluttershy was the last girl to come out of the RV with Spike in her arms. She had never been so excited to have the best birthday she’ll ever have tomorrow, not to mention the most unforgettable.

“I really want my birthday to be amazing. Seeing so many sea creatures and watching the dolphin show is nothing I could have back at the animal shelter.” She said while looking at the aquarium.

“It’s true.” Spike added. “You have no idea what ocean life is like.”

This made Twilight roll her eyes with her hand on her hip. “Yeah...like talking dogs who never went in the ocean, because they’re just animals.”

“Hey, you know I don’t like getting wet in the tub.”

The girls made a chuckle while getting back on topic. “Anyway, we would argue about what ocean life really is, but we should head inside to what the aquarium has to offer.” Sunset replied.

“Yeah, let’s go meet the COO, that’s what I’m looking forward to.” Fluttershy finished.

The Rainbooms head inside of the main hallway of the aquarium. They see aquarium tanks filled with angel fish, Zebra Danios, Mollies and so many types of fish in other tanks. When they look at the ceiling, they see another painting of whale sharks, beluga whales and of course, dolphins.

“Well I’ll be!” Applejack commented. “No one told me these folks have a passion for sea animals.”

“Then this my cowgirl darling, is definitely your first ever aquarium trip.” Rarity said, adoring the decor.

Fluttershy made her way to one of the aquariums tanks. She saw clownfish, betta fish, Pacific regal blue-tangs, and then her attention was hooked with five rainbow fish. “Rainbow, you have to look at this!” She smiled.

“Yeah, those fish look like you with all the colors.” Spike added.

Before her friends would head across the aquarium floor, they saw a grown woman wearing a uniform representing the establishment. When she saw the Rainbooms, she stopped in place, and backed away. “Woah! Watch where you’re going!” She reacted.

“Sorry, it’s just the aquarium we’re excited for.” Pinkie responded.

Upon hearing the positive reception, it made the woman happy. “Really huh? Then I'm sure all of you girls want to know who I am. I’m Novo, the Chief Operating Officer of the Aris Aquarium.”

“Wait!?” Fluttershy reacted as she came up to Novo. “You’re the COO?”

“You got that right, I’m in charge of all the creatures and staff in this building.”

“Well, it’s a pleasure to meet you.” Sunset lifted her hand up as Novo accepted the handshake. “We’re here because our friend’s birthday is coming tomorrow.”

“And this is the soon to be birthday girl, Fluttershy!” Pinkie wrapping her arm around Fluttershy’s neck.

When Novo looked at the shy girl with a dog around her arms, she usually doesn’t do celebrations at her aquarium, but for the sake of her authority and image, she’s willing to make a birthday perfect for the individual.

“Well. For the honor of your friend’s birthday,” She then reached into her pocket and took out a backstage pass. “Consider this as my birthday gift for today and tomorrow only.”

Fluttershy became speechless that she had the opportunity to see the employees backstage, caring for the critters. Not to mention the handlers who are part of the dolphin show tomorrow.

“How come she gets an out of nowhere gift during her birthday?” Rainbow groaned.

“Probably because she has a kind perspective on animals just by her looks.” Twilight replied.

“It still makes me confused and a bit jealous.”

While Novo gave Fluttershy the backstage pass, she’s too excited to go around in this aquarium, despite her being with her friends. “Thank you so much! I can’t wait to see the dolphins!” She jumped up and down which made her feel a bit embarrassed. “Sorry.”

“Don’t mention it, I’ve seen so many people react this way during their birthdays.” Novo said, closing her eyes.

“So...where should we go first?”

“You should meet the handlers while we look at the aquariums.” Twilight replied.

“Yeah, I bet the dolphins would love to see you in person.” Applejack added.

“What makes you girls think that?” Novo asked as Sunset whispered into her ear. After hearing everything about Fluttershy’s favorite activity, this made the COO lid her eyes. “Then go right ahead, my welcome birthday guest.”

When Fluttershy saw her friends allowing her to take her own lead, she knew she could handle herself during fairly normal times like this. “Okay, see you all later.” She cheered as she headed to the dolphin aquarium while taking Spike with her.

“Cute dolphins, here we come!” Spike cheered.

“As for all of you, would you be happy to see one of the most dangerous predators in the sea? The Great White Shark?”

“Did you just say Great White Shark!?” Rainbow squealed. “I would definitely love to see those!”

“Well, at least Fluttershy won’t be scared, since she’s on her own.” Rarity feeling uncomfortable seeing such fierce predators in person.


Fluttershy and Spike walked inside the aquarium hallway where they saw hundreds of different fish above them, and to their left and right. Fluttershy loved every bit of it to the point she had one thing on her mind.

“Spike.” She responded while still looking at the sea creatures. “Would it be better to work here to help these wonderful animals?”

This made Spike blink from hearing Fluttershy’s question. “Would you give up on your job at the animal shelter?”

“Maybe. Land animals, sea creatures, they’re similar, except for the land and ocean.” Fluttershy being mesmerised.

Spike felt unsure of Fluttershy’s choice. He spent most of his time watching her taking care of animals, he knew it’s the perfect job for her. While he does like sea creatures, he won’t see Fluttershy again if she is employed at the aquarium.

“You should probably think about it before we leave tomorrow night. We just got here and we haven’t seen the dolphins yet.”

“Oh that actually reminds me.” Fluttershy waking up to reality. “Let’s go to the pools where the dolphins and handlers are at.”

The two head out of the hallway and enter a room with three pathways. One that leads to the octopus, the other leads to the seals outside of the building, and while the other leads to where all the dolphins are located. Fluttershy and Spike pick the third pathway as they open the door and enter inside. As they walk up to the room, they see a large glass window holding gallons of water.

“Oh! This must be where all the dolphins are at!” Spike wiggled his tail.

“Yeah but...I don’t see any dolphins.” Fluttershy walking up to the tank. “I think they’re being taken care of.”

As Fluttershy and Spike continue to look at the tank itself, they hear a door being pushed open, revealing one of the employees. “Hey you.” She spoke which caused Fluttershy to turn around. “The COO told me to find you.”

“What, is she in trouble already?” Spike reacted.

“No, Novo ordered me to take you to where all the handlers are, which is in the dolphin room.”

“Oh thank you.” Fluttershy smiled. “What’s your name?”

“My name is Marline Caper. I’m responsible for checking the sea creatures' health and safety. I’m also in charge of giving tourists everything they need to know about every creature in the various tanks.”

Fluttershy remembered meeting several zoo guides who gave her a tour of each animal enclosure that they were able to go into at the zoo. She’s more than happy to meet another guide who’s taking care of all the animals who once spent their lives in the ocean.

“Really?” Fluttershy asked. “I always like meeting someone who has a heart towards animals because I do when it comes to land animals.”

“That’s always good to hear. No matter what animal it is, I always adore the offers they have to make me happy.” She then looked at the dolphin tank itself. “All the dolphins are in one of the safety pools so we can keep them clean and healthy after the aquarium closes for the night. Come on, I’ll show you where they are.”

Marline takes Fluttershy and Spike up to the outside of the hallway where they see the most popular sea creatures in the aquarium. When they headed outside, Marline saw several girls inside one of the dolphin pools. “The dolphins are over there.” She pointed.

When Fluttershy and Spike look at the handlers helping the dolphins drink their milk, they can’t wait for what surprises they will perform tomorrow night. “These girls look really talented.” Fluttershy commented while still walking. “Excuse me, do you girls have a moment?”

When one of the two girls got out of the pool and looked at Fluttershy, she didn't usually expect a guest the day before the show. “What’s your name?” The light blue hair girl asked.

“My name is Fluttershy.”

“Fluttershy? That’s a nice name. My name is Silverstream.” Fluttershy blushed from hearing a kind gesture from someone, who isn’t one of her best friends. “So anyway, why are you allowed back here?”

“Novo gave her a backstage pass because her birthday is coming tomorrow.” Marline said, while showing Silverstream the pass Fluttershy has around her neck. “She’s allowed to be anywhere in this building until she leaves tomorrow night.”

“Wow, that’s really nice of my friend’s mother to do something so...wholesome.”

Spike blinked several times upon hearing Silverstream. “Wait, you mean to tell me that your mother is the COO?”

“Woah! Did that dog just speak!?” Silverstream exclaimed.

Everyone besides Fluttershy backed away from hearing a talking dog in front of their eyes. “Am I dreaming or is this how real life works?” Marline commented awkwardly.

“Well...I, for one had been in this bizarre situation years ago and I was too...excited to witness this.” Fluttershy looking at Spike.

Spike didn’t expect such a huge reaction from others who aren't from where he lives. “Was that too unexpected?”

Silverstream is still stunned, while Marline is witnessing a talking animal. Something she never had never seen in all her years of working in this aquarium.

“Hey Skystar, you might want to take a look at this.” Silverstream heads to the pool where Skystar is still feeding her dolphin milk. “Did you listen to everything that just happened?”

“I’m sorry, but she loves it when I give her milk.” Skystar turned her attention to her friend.

“Will you please give me the milk bottle and get out of the pool. There’s something you have to see.”

After taking her friend’s suggestion, Skystar gets out of the pool and just before she handed her milk bottle, she saw Spike. While she loves swimming with the dolphins, her view on other animals on land is the same, but when it comes to puppies, she couldn’t resist.

She rushed up to Spike in a close view. “Aww...is that a puppy?” She squealed while pitching his cheek. “He’s so cute.”

“Yeah, he is cute but...you don’t know half of him.” Fluttershy smiled while handing Spike to Skystar.

“What do you mean by that?”

“Because no other puppy has the ability to talk.” Spike smirked which caused Skystar to take notice. “Yep, you’re witnessing one of the planet's only talking animals!”

Skystar didn’t react hard like the others did a moment ago. Instead, she shook in excitement while still holding on to Spike. “Ohhhh! A talking dog is like a gift from nature!” She begins to nuzzle on Spike’s head while wrapping her arms around him tightly.

Fluttershy and the others felt surprised from Skystar’s overexcited reaction. “Has she always felt this way?” Fluttershy asked.

“We felt like this when something new happened. But in a bizarre moment with a talking animal, not much for me.” Skystar replied.

“But I’m actually impressed and I’m not kidding.” Marline added which made Fluttershy giggle.