• Published 11th Jun 2020
  • 3,222 Views, 43 Comments

The Magic Of Mermaids - Lonely Fanboy48



When Fluttershy and her friends arrive at the Aris Aquarium, they’ve encountered Equestrian Magic that turns the divers into mermaids.

  • ...
4
 43
 3,222

Sides Of Land And Ocean

At the end of the day, all the customers in the aquarium head to the room they’ve been looking forward to since they saw it advertised online. The show where they see the handlers with their fully trained dolphins show off their swimming talent and their close bonds. But little did they know, there’s a big change that will only happen once in a lifetime.

Fluttershy and Spike sat at the closest section to the pool, with all the seats taken from all the rows, they’re lucky the show wasn’t sold out. “Man, look at all these people.” Spike pointed at the people sitting down.

“I know.” Fluttershy responded. “That’s because they love seeing the dolphins perform, just like me.”

“Do you think your friends are gonna watch the show with us?”

Fluttershy turns her attention to the door where all the people came in. The show is about to begin in five minutes and as of now, she hasn’t seen her friends in the past five hours. “I get there’s a surprise but...I just want them to be with me on my birthday.”

She sat back down in her spot, waiting for the show to begin momentarily while feeling lonely other than a puppy that kept her occupied for the rest of the day.

With all the customers waiting patiently. The doors were closed with the lights slowly dimming. The windows showing the sunset over the lake, being covered by the blinds with the aquarium’s logo on it along with dolphins around it.

Then silence in the room grew, with the audience waiting for something to happen. When a spotlight from the ceiling turned on, it shined on Marline who just came out from the door to the back. She has a headset with a microphone attached, about to do her job in front of a crowd since her beginning as a tour guide.

“Ladies and gentlemen.” She spoke to the audience. “My name is Marline Caper and thank you for coming to the Aris Aquarium.” She received applause from the audience which she accepted. She notices that Fluttershy is sitting in the front row, giving her the chance to make the birthday girl really satisfied.

“What you’re about to see are some of the most talented handlers swimming with the oceans' cutest sea creatures.” Upon hearing the cue, Silverstream, Skystar and the other handlers came into the room with multiple spotlights on them. “However there’s an addition we added to the show for this occasion. Handlers, release the dolphins.” She requested.

The Handlers opened the slide, allowing all the dolphins to take off in the pool. The audience cheered when they saw the dolphins they knew and loved swimming in the water. “Now what addition am I talking about? I’m talking about...mermaids.”

Then six of the Rainbooms came out, wearing swimming gear like the other divers except Sunset with the pearl around her neck, being more responsible, without losing control when talking to the sea creatures. The crowd, including Fluttershy began to get confused, even with the appearance of her friends on stage. When they’re by Skystar and the other divers, they wait until Marline gets back to her commentary.

“Rainbooms.” She turned to Fluttershy’s friends. “Dive!”

After hearing the instruction, Sunset and her friends jump into the pool and so do the other divers. The crowd saw the Rainbooms swimming close to each other, the pearl around Sunset Shimmer activated, causing a transformation with all six girls.

The crowd took a back from the sudden flash from the pool. They never expected that from their previous trips to this aquarium. Once the transformation is complete, the crowd becomes speechless from what’s happening in the pool. Rarity and Applejack in their mermaid forms again swam towards one dolphin, holding on to the adorable mammal as it began to take off around the tank.

The other Rainbooms and divers hold on to the other dolphins as the tour guide returns back to her speech. “We all know that mermaids don’t exist, but that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be rejected. Especially if they can do poses like this.”

The dolphin came out with Rarity and Applejack still hanging on without a grip. The fashionista moved her hair, posing in front of the crowd, who are taking pictures with their phones. The country girl smiled, while lifting her tail with her strength geode, impressing the audience before diving back into the water.

“That was amazing!” Spike commented. “Did they spend all that time as mermaids practicing?”

“You may be right.” Fluttershy smiled.

As another dolphin came out of the pool with Twilight and Sunset posing, the water accidentally splashed on the kids, but they were cheering from the presence of the six mermaids. As for Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash, they found themselves at the apex of the dolphins speedy swimming.

“This is so awesome!” Rainbow cheered. “Why couldn’t Sunset ask Twilight to bring more small pieces of the pearl?”

“Maybe because they’re from a queen, who mainly gives them to her subjects?” Pinkie added.

“Yeah, guess the COO and the queen are the same other than the fact that Equestria doesn’t have aquariums.”

“Hey, it’s a way of life there!”

Pinkie and Rainbow popped out of the water, posing like her friends did before. Even in the split second, they noticed Fluttershy in the front row who’s loving the performance. As they get back in the water, all the mermaids let go of the dolphins.

“If there’s one thing I know about these creatures, is that if you ever meet them, they’re friendly when they’re in the mood.” Marline said. “And let’s not forget how much they love being adored by all of you.”

Skystar, Silverstream and the other divers begin to hold on to one of the mermaids to perform another stunt. With all the dolphins in formation around them, they moved their bodies into position, with their tails facing the handlers. The Rainbooms landed at the bottom of the pool with the handlers holding their breath. With the amount of time they had to practice, this was the stunt they worked on to make Fluttershy very excited.

They jumped off the floor of the tank, heading to the surface and lifting their bodies out of the water. They made various poses with the handlers hanging on, the dolphins then popped their tails above the surface while keeping their balance in the pool. The audience managed to take their pictures at the right time, including the birthday girl.

“Magnificent, just magnificent.” Fluttershy thought, looking at her phone.

The show continued for another ten minutes with the Rainbooms performing many different tricks with the dolphins and handlers. It was a show that people would never forget, beautiful, one of a kind, and an experience that no other aquarium would ever have.


When everyone left the aquarium after the show concluded, the Rainbooms and the handlers took Fluttershy back to the dolphin room so they could celebrate her birthday party properly. So many gifts were brought and the birthday girl opened every single one of them, loving the support and respect she received from her best friends.

Afterwards, they sang happy birthday as she blushed, blowing the candles while getting applause. Pinkie cut the cake in slices, handing them to her friends and including the handlers. The birthday girl along with all of her friends continue to eat their piece with a scoop of ice cream alongside.

“This is the best birthday I ever had.” Fluttershy eating her piece of cake.

“I knew you would say that.” Pinkie giggled.

“And thanks for saving our dolphin show, or should we say mermaid show,” Skystar smiled.

“Magnificent.” Silverstream added.

Fluttershy couldn’t say anything more and anyone would appreciate her gesture. “Thanks. It just surprised me how you all pulled it off so perfectly.”

“It’s called teamwork, right?” Rainbow eating her ice cream.

“Another lesson that requires friendship.” Rarity smirked.

“Practice makes perfect is one thing, but there’s always more when we’re all getting along.” Twilight closed her eyes.

The birthday girl couldn’t agree more after she saved the aquarium. If it wasn’t for her help, her birthday would have been a pit of nothingness. Then an idea came to her, she knew the pearl would be heading back to Equestria by the time she returned to Canterlot High. She’s the only girl who wasn't transformed from the whole situation, but that doesn’t mean she shouldn’t let her chances of becoming a mermaid swim away.

“Um...Sunset.” She spoke to Sunset’s attention. “When we’re done eating, can I use the pearl, so I can turn into a mermaid for a while?”

Sunset isn’t against the idea since she knows Fluttershy is smart enough to handle these magical artifacts. “Sure, after all the birthday girl should earn the experience after helping us.”

After hearing her best friend, Fluttershy is eager to feel what it’s like to be a mermaid like her friends went through. She may adore the show she just saw, but knows full well it’s really a one of a kind experience, all thanks to the pearl that appeared in this world.


After eating the rest of the cake and ice cream, Fluttershy changed into her one piece swimsuit in the changing room. Silverstream and Skystar are always willing to join since they know they won’t be able to see the Rainbooms anytime soon when they leave. When Fluttershy headed out, she jumped into the pool along with her two handler friends.

Sunset put the pearl necklace around Fluttershy’s neck, giving her the opportunity to change into a mermaid. Fluttershy closes her eyes and uses the magic from the necklace, Marline and the others look at the birthday girl as the transformation ensues. Magic swirls around her with no feeling in her legs, now that she has a tail like her friends had.

When the birthday girl opened her eyes, she saw that her tail color is pink, not to mention like every other mermaid, it shines in the light. “Oh...my...goodness.” She placed her hands on her face, adoring her tail.

She begins to swim in the pool with Skystar and Silverstream in complete amazement. “She looks beautiful with that tail.” Skystar commented.

“If mermaids do exist, she would definitely be fit to be a ruler of them.” Silverstream added.

“Then she’ll have to learn everything to become a princess.” Sunset said snarkily, placing her hands on her hips.

“Touche.”

The birthday girl made twirls, seeing the bubbles she created in her wave, feeling like what her friends felt during the whole show. “This is more than I can ever imagine as a mermaid.” She thought. “Today was anything I didn’t really want but now, I’m happy it happened. I guess Equestrian Magic isn’t always a bad thing.”

As the Rainbooms and Marline continue to watch Fluttershy having fun, the COO comes inside the dolphin room. She’s too happy after the performance the Rainbooms and her talented handlers put on. And knowing that Fluttershy is the one who saved the aquarium, she’s about to give Fluttershy another gift before she leaves.

“Excuse me?” She called.

“Mom?” Skystar quipped, popping her head out of the water.

“There’s something I want to show to Fluttershy.” Upon hearing her, she tapped on Fluttershy's shoulder after she finished playing with the dolphin. The birthday girl also popped her out of the water as she saw Novo smiling. “I wanted to thank you for saving my aquarium from cancelling the show. Granted I’ve gone through worse situations in the past, but still.”

“You’re welcome.” Fluttershy giggled.

“And I can see you love being a mermaid just like your friends.”

“Well she’s the only one who didn’t turn into one from before.” Rarity added.

“I see that.” Novo then presented a job application form to the birthday girl.

“What’s this?” Fluttershy wondered.

“This is an application for employment at the Aris Aquarium. You would be able to take care of the sea animals in their tanks. Not only that, if you’re good enough, I might take you to the Pacific Ocean so we can go diving, studying more fish and seeing how they live.”

When she handed Fluttershy the form, Fluttershy had no words to describe the chance to work at an aquarium filled with so many interesting sea creatures. Not only she’ll able to learn everything about them, but also hang out with Silverstream, Skystar and Marline and get to know them more.

“Wow, that’s actually a really great deal.” Twilight smiled.

“The sea animals would love to be occupied by her.” Sunset added.

The birthday girl began to smile, starting to like the application Novo gave her. It was a job she was thinking about wanting upon arriving yesterday. But then, she stopped herself before making her final decision. Her smile went away, when she found out about her true purpose in her life.

“Novo.” She responded. “Thank you for the opportunity, but I don’t want a job here.” All of her friends gasped while the COO stood, utterly speechless. “It’s not that I don’t want to work here, it’s a great job but…”

“Yes?” Novo replied.

“I’ve been working with animals who have lived on land since I was a kid. And I already have a job to take care of animals.”

“Ohh…” Both Skytar and Marline said.

“I know you want me to work here and I have no problem with it.” She then looked at the form in her hands. “But I shouldn’t abandon the animals I love so much. Land and ocean animals are the same in some ways, but not completely. I’m sorry.”

She handed the form back to her, officially making her decision final. As much as Novo is disappointed, everything she heard from Fluttershy is true. As for the others, they liked how the birthday girl made a choice for herself.

“There’s no need to apologize.” Novo said, while accepting Fluttershy’s choice. “For me personally, I’m not that interested in animals that live on land, but from someone like you who loves them unlike anyone I’ve met, everyone has their choices for their future. Including you.”

Fluttershy approved from the feedback from the COO, but then she heard crying to her left. When she turned her head, she saw the dolphin sobbing at the corner of the pool. “Oh my goodness.” She reacted from the animal’s reaction.

“Looks like that fella really wanted you to get employed.” Applejack commented.

Fluttershy, still in her mermaid form, swam to the dolphin in order to cheer the animal up. She placed both of her hands under her mouth, giving her a sweet and charming look to make any animal happy.

“Don’t cry, I understand it’s sad, but I might consider coming back when I get the time. And I’ll make sure I’ll play with you to make you happy.”

She then wrapped her arms around the dolphin, giving her a hug like what the other handlers do. The dolphin stopped crying and made a squeak sound, filled with happiness.

“Well that’s something we can look forward to.” Silverstream said, looking at Skystar.

“Keep in mind, we should teach her how to take care of dolphins.” Skystar added. “Since it’s the only sea creature she seems to enjoy.”

“Should I give her a guide on how to play with dolphins?” Marline asked.

“Sure, if she’s really coming back.” Novo looking at the tour guide.

“Be right back.” Marline heading to the library where all the guides of ocean creatures are located.

The Rainbooms all stare at Fluttershy giving the dolphin a hug, while still as a mermaid. Ever since arriving here to celebrate her birthday, it wasn’t what they planned once this day came around, but they found a way to make it better than they could’ve imagined.

“I really think Fluttershy can handle anything this simple on her own.” Twilight commented.

“And we can all agree with one thing.” Sunset added. “She’s a natural to any animal in this world, whether they be from the land or the sea.”

Comments ( 14 )

A sweet, fairly true to the spirit of the show story.

Thanks for sharing it.

This feels like it could've been a good EG special.

10289060
Yes but sadly it won't happen.

Great way to end it, now Fluttershy has a turn to be a mermaid. If this became a EG special, i would watch it.

Great to see that this finally took off.

There is one think that is lacking is a better description of the tails. You only gave color. So some not know much about equestria girls could assume the tails are costumes and they can willingly get out.

You should have done a little scene before Fluttershy wakes up.

Something along the line like this:

Those tails don’t look attached could you remove them? Applejack asked.

Twilight tried. That was painful.

Sunset swims around and see the scales are fused with the skin.

Sorry there is scales infuse with the skin. You should check my tail too to just confirm it.

Twilight does and confirms that sunset tail is also attached.

Face it we’re permanently mermaids.

10331123
That’s something that could work as deleted scenes. Plus I want the 3rd chapter to have a reveal when Fluttershy finds out about that’s happening with her friends.

10331264
Well they could keep it a secret trying not to ruin Fluttershy’s birthday more than it was

How old is Fluttershy? it was her birthday

My Little review & Feedback your fiction has now been reviewed.... prepare for a belt.

I wonder what their top halves would look like as mermaids...

10997265
Probably seashell shaped bikini tops.

Comment posted by Kcharos deleted May 31st, 2022

Thinking about it, do they really need to give the pearl back to Queen Novo? I mean as long as it's with the Rainbooms things will be fine.

Whenever they go to the beach they can swim in the ocean as mermaids & turn back when they're done.

Login or register to comment