• Published 11th Jun 2020
  • 3,222 Views, 43 Comments

The Magic Of Mermaids - Lonely Fanboy48



When Fluttershy and her friends arrive at the Aris Aquarium, they’ve encountered Equestrian Magic that turns the divers into mermaids.

  • ...
4
 43
 3,222

The Talk For Sea Nature

Fluttershy and her friends head inside the only room they haven’t checked in the aquarium. “This has to be where the pearl went.” Fluttershy looking around.

“Yeah, this is much harder than I thought.” Silverstream added.

“This is like the scavenger hunt my mom did when I was so young. But never inside an aquarium like this.” Skystar retorted tiredly.

“Come on girls, at least this is the last room we need to check.” Spike smiled.

“But why hasn’t Marline texted back yet?” Silverstream taking out her phone. “She hasn’t responded in hours.”

“She’s probably double checking everything outside.” Fluttershy said, looking in one of the tanks. “Let’s keep searching.”

The three girls continue to check all over the place as Spike heads inside the aquarium hallway. When he looked up, he stopped in place, and his jaw dropped. What he saw is four of the Rainbooms underwater, but just like Twilight and Sunset, they’re not gonna be leaving any time soon.

“Spike?” Fluttershy asked, looking at the sitting puppy.

“What’s with him?” Skystar added with Silverstream by her side.

When they entered inside the hallway, they saw four shadows covering the puppy. When they look above, all of their eyes shoot open in utter shock. “Rainbow Dash!?” Silverstream shouted.

“Rarity!?” Skystar shouted, stunned into silence.

“Applejack!?” Spike responded.

“And Pinkie Pie!? Also as mermaids!?” The birthday girl finished.

When they saw four of the Rainbooms, they became helpless on what just happened to them. Rainbow knocked the glass several times while Rarity pointed at the exit of the hallway.

“It looks like they want to talk to us.” Silverstream replied.

“From above the tank.” Fluttershy added.

When Skystar sees where the fashionista is pointing at, it reveals to be a restricted door for employees only. “Come with me!” She picked up Spike. “We can go in here, there’s a staircase.”

Fluttershy and Sliverstream soon followed from behind as Skystar unlocked the door with her key. As they arrive at the top of the tank, Rainbow and the others pop their heads above the surface of the water. “What happened?” Fluttershy asked, placing her hands on the bars.

“Marline Caper turned us into mermaids!” Applejack moved her hair out of her view.

“Marline!?” Silverstream shouted.

“Our tour guide!?” Skystar said, in complete shock.

“Yes!” Rarity cried.

“Why would she do that!?” Spike added.

“Because the pearl can also give her the abilities to talk to sea animals.”

“You mean...like I do?” Fluttershy replied. All that Rarity and the others did was nodded from the birthday girl’s confusion. But unlike them, Fluttershy might find a way to set things straight with Marline. “What is she gonna do?”

“For all we know, she’s about to set all the creatures in the aquarium free into the ocean.”

While Silverstream and Skystar are shocked, Fluttershy on the other hand wasn’t. “She’s gonna what!?” Silverstream shouted again.

“My mother is gonna freak out if she finds out about this!” Skystar shaking in fear.

“Girls.” Fluttershy getting the attention from her friends. “I think there’s a way we can stop her.” As her friends waited to hear the solution, she closed her eyes. “I’ll talk to her.”

The Rainbooms are dumbfounded, while the handlers are simply confused. “Just...talk to her?” Spike replied.

“You mean...not fight her?” Pinkie added.

“You do know that Fluttershy isn’t a fighter right?” Applejack commented.

“But how is that gonna work?” Rainbow being serious. “I’ve tried that and all I got out of it is being turned into a mermaid.”

“Don’t worry, I have everything under control.” Fluttershy heading to the door with a straight face. “You four just stay here, I’ll get back to you later.”

“Does...she sometimes act this way?” Skystar asked, taking a backstep from Fluttershy’s serious attitude.

“We don’t see her like that all the time...but we can tell when she’s not happy.” Rarity finished.


In one of the largest rooms of the Aris Aquarium, Marline Caper just used her pearl necklace in front of a tank filled with a variety of fish. She heard that some of them desperately want to head back to the ocean, which made her concerned.

“Ohh my friendly sea creatures.” She praised the tank in front of her. “I promise I will take you back to the ocean in no time. Sea nature is all you deserve in life.” She hugged the glass with fish swimming up to her. “The aquarium just isn’t the place for you.”

Fluttershy went out of the hallway as she turned to her left. She saw the tour guide, hugging against the tank while seeing the pearl glowing. She didn’t bother to even consider getting her into trouble after what she heard from her friends. However, she’s still not happy about it in the slightest. Skystar, Silverstream and Spike stopped behind Fluttershy until they saw Marline after so many hours. They didn’t speak a word, allowing Fluttershy to put her plan into action.

“Marline.” Fluttershy called.

“Fluttershy?” Marline opened her eyes.

The birthday girl walked up to the tour guide with her friends following from behind. “You really need to give us the piece of the pearl, this is getting out of hand.”

Marline knew she would not keep the pearl away from her for too long. But at the same time, she still wishes she could get more time for herself. “Fluttershy...this pearl is all I’ve ever wanted.”

“Do you even realize that you turned my friends into mermaids?” Fluttershy yelled softly. “They’re just trying to help.”

“But do you have any idea what I can do with this on?”

“Yes I know and you're going about it the wrong way.”

Marline backed away, but Fluttershy walked up to her while still keeping a straight face. “But the animals need a place to live.”

“If that was the case, you wouldn’t have got your job at this aquarium.” Fluttershy responded.

While Skystar and Silverstream allowed their friend to make a statement, Spike was surprised. “She’s really on a fresh start, isn’t she?” He commented, until Skystar covered his mouth and shushed him.

“But I talked to the fish and they don’t like the fish food.” Marline pointed.

“Do you wanna know what you're doing right now?” Fluttershy placed her hand on her hip. “You’re overthinking the negatives and not considering the positives.” She then walked up to the tank, watching the sea creatures swimming in pairs. “When I see animals behind strong gates in the wilderness, I fully understand they want freedom. But that doesn’t mean we are terrible people.”

“How do you know much about animals, especially sea creatures?”

Fluttershy then turned to Marline to give her the answer. “Because I love animals. And even on land, in the sea and even the sky, they are all the same to me. Before I got my powers, I adored what they eat, how they slept and most of all...how they can handle living with humans.”

Skystar, Silverstream, and Spike are stunned by Fluttershy’s inspirational words. If there’s anything they don’t know a lot about animals, she has the answer to every question they could ask.

“I know how it feels, because year after year on my birthday, I learn more about the nature of their lives.”

“It’s true.” Silverstream added. “We just put those fish in that tank a few days ago, so they will not like staying here already.”

“And you did much more research about sea creatures than the rest of us.” Skystar added.

Marline stopped herself and took what her friends were trying to say. She got employed at the aquarium years ago when she proved to the COO that she was a professional at explaining and describing sea creatures. And what she’s doing is getting herself fired after she found the pearl just hours earlier. She lowered her head, while also taking off the necklace.

“Here.” She said and handed the pearl to Fluttershy.

“You did it!” Spike cheered.

“Now we can change your friends back to normal.” Silverstream smiled.

“Not to mention stopping the weather.” Skystar added.

Fluttershy didn’t respond to her friends as she saw Marline sit down next to the tank behind her. She knew this would happen at some point, but she’s relieved it didn’t get any worse. As the tour guide became ashamed of herself, the birthday girl sat by her while placing her hand on her’s.

“It’s okay, we’re not going to tell Novo about this.” She smiled.

“You’re not?” Marline blinked.

“Yes.”

“We’re friends right?” Skystar smiled.

“And we want you to be with us.” Silverstream added.

“But what I did was…”

“We know.” Fluttershy putting her hand away from Marline. “But you hadn’t taken any animals out of their tanks, so that’s fine.”

“And trust us.” Spike, being truthful. “We’ve met so many people who took things way too far, we would list them and be here for hours.”

“Okay, but I still don’t feel good about myself.” She lowered her head. “From the way I talk to sea animals, turning your friends into mermaids, and spend all my time staying away from you…I learned how immature I was.”

The tour guide had no words after confessing with her friends. And with all this happening on Fluttershy’s birthday, she took matters into her own hands in the worst way possible.

However, this didn’t make Fluttershy disappointed in the slightest. She got off the ground which took Marline by notice. “You’re not immature. And you didn’t ruin my birthday.” She spoke with kindness from her heart. “I would have done the same thing, if I didn’t have friends who watch my back.”

“You think so?” Marline getting on her feet.

“Yes. That’s how much I love animals and it helps me learn from my mistakes. And for how much you wanted to talk to animals, it’s always a miracle that could only happen once in your life.”

Marline never imagined she would ever get out of a situation she put herself in. Since finding the pearl, it took until almost two o’clock for the others to find her, wearing the necklace they need to turn today around for Fluttershy. She grew a smile and wrapped her arms around the birthday girl.

“Fluttershy. Thanks for teaching me something about animal nature.”

After receiving the gesture, Fluttershy also smiled, whilst also wrapping her arms around Marline. As for Spike and the handlers, they are not only happy that all of this is about to be put to rest, but adored the moment between Fluttershy and Marline. Not because of what Fluttershy discussed, but what she sees in animals unlike anyone they meet.


Fluttershy and the others changed the Rainbooms back to their normal selves while pulling them out of the tank. Then they head to the dolphin room where Sunset and Twilight are still at, turning them back to normal as well.

Sunset’s first objective is to stop the weather above the aquarium before it turns more people into mermaids. She heads outside of the emergency exit with Twilight holding the door. She lifted the pearl in the air as it radiated magic. The clouds slowly, but surely disappear with the remnants of equestrian magic fading away.

In front of the aquarium, the outside employees saw the sun shining, without the rain pouring down. They placed the open sign on the glass door, officially allowing anyone to come in to see the sea creatures again.

As Sunset headed inside of the dolphin room, Twilight closed the door behind her. “I still don’t understand how a small piece of pearl can change the weather that easily.” She looked at the pearl.

“I don’t know, but at least it wasn’t like what happened back on the cruise.” Applejack commented.

“That pearl would have demolished the ship, if that’s all we had.” Rainbow added.

“Well at least I can take this back to Equestria and give it to Twilight.” Sunset responded.

“And now, the dolphin show will be uncancelled!” Skystar cheered, while hugging Silverstream.

The dolphins from the pool splashed in delight. “And I bet those dolphins would love to swim in front of a crowd tonight.” Twilight smiled.

As for the birthday girl, right after her friend changed the weather back to normal, she heads back to Rarity’s RV to get her lunch. She was so hungry, she was surprised Marline did the right thing earlier, otherwise she would have missed lunchtime. When she heads to the front door, she returns back to the dolphin room.

The fashionista turned around and upon seeing Fluttershy, her eyes lid. “And let’s not forget our hero and birthday girl of the day, Fluttershy.” She presented which made the shy girl blush. The girls inside the room gave Fluttershy an ovation.

“And I can’t wait to show her the birthday cake I made!” Pinkie showing the box to her friends. “Not to mention the gifts she’s yet to unwrap.”

Fluttershy continued to blush in the center of attention, something she isn’t used to from her friends. “Just look at her, she can’t even find the words.” Applejack giggled.

“Alright girls, give her some space.” Novo said, getting in front of Fluttershy. “She isn’t the type who enjoys the attention she earns.”

“Actually Novo, I had that back at the Starswirl Festival.” Fluttershy popping her head behind the COO.

“Yeah, she sometimes gets in the mood when she enjoys it.” Rainbow crossed her arms with style.

“Oh...so she isn’t that shy huh?” Novo looking at the birthday girl.

“They’re always right.” Fluttershy replied.

“If that’s really the case, I should really make the dolphin show really interesting.” The COO looked back at Twilight and Sunset, winking at them after they made an agreement.

“What are you talking about?”

“You'll find out tonight.” Twilight smiled.

“Let’s just say it’s the perfect birthday gift from a place like this.” Sunset added.

Novo left the dolphin room, ready for her employees and handlers for the show their customers are looking forward to seeing. The birthday girl sat on the chair while placing her lunch on the table. “What do you mean by that?” Fluttershy wondered.

“Yeah, we still have her gifts in the RV.” Applejack said.

Twilight and Sunset walked up their friends and whispered into their ears about Fluttershy’s gift, including the other handlers. When they heard about the idea, they liked it. Sunset knows the pearl can change them back to mermaids before she can return it back to Equestria.

“Ohh...I see what you’re talking about.” Marline smiled. “But we really need the time we have to make it work.”

“So true.” Rainbow smirked.

“Spike, keep our birthday girl occupied.” Rarity placed her palm on the puppy’s head. “We’re gonna be working on her best birthday present ever.”

The little dog thought they would be throwing a birthday party right away, but considering the aquarium has only just reopened, he can understand what is going on. “Okay, but I’ve been doing that for the last twenty four hours.”

“Don’t worry, you’ll get the best treats we’ve got when we get back.” Twilight smiled. “Let’s go girls.” She led the Rainbooms and divers to the door, leaving the birthday girl alone with only a dog to keep her company.

“Wait!” Pinkie reacted. “Are we supposed to be in here while practicing!?”

The group just stop just before they exit the door, remembering that the dolphins are also in the room. “Ohh, that makes sense.” Skystar blinked.

They pushed Fluttershy and Spike out of the dolphin room so they could organize their plan. “Sorry Fluttershy, but even birthday people like you shouldn’t spoil the surprise.” Sunset responded while closing the door. Fluttershy felt a little upset that she won’t be able to hang out with her friends.

“Are you feeling alright?” Spike looking at the birthday girl.

“Not really, just wish I have someone to keep me occupied on my birthday.” Fluttershy lowered her head.

“You have me, not as a best friend, but a buddy to play with you.”

The birthday girl looked at Twilight’s puppy, looking at his eyes from before. “Okay.”

“And remember, it’s a surprise, on your birthday. That should make up for everything by tonight.”

“I couldn’t agree more.” Fluttershy and Spike decided to head back to the RV where all of Spike’s toys are at. But before they left, they heard the door pushed open.

“Fluttershy, you forgot to take your lunch.” Rainbow lifted the birthday girl’s lunch.

“Oh...thanks.” Fluttershy turning around and getting her lunch. “At least I don’t have to starve.”

“Don’t mention it.” Rainbow smiled as she closed the door.