• Published 21st May 2020
  • 2,748 Views, 490 Comments

Fly Like You - Jinzou



What do you get when you cross a neurotic princess, an impulsive pegasus, blossoming romantic feelings, and trying to co-parent a mentally unstable twelve year old?

  • ...
7
 490
 2,748

The Final Chapter

"Twiiiiiilight.” came a voice from the aether.

“Mmn.” came Twilight’s subdued reply, nuzzling deeper into the warm body next to her.

The warm body squirmed and broke out of Twilight’s grip. This could not stand. This would not stand.

“Noooo, warm.” Twilight commanded sleepily. Rainbow Dash’s body was grabbed in Twilight’s magical aura and dragged back down to her. Twilight grabbed Rainbow Dash again and snuggled deep into her coat.

“Twiiiiilight,” Rainbow teased. “If you don’t let me go I’m gonna have to use my secret weapon on youuuu~”

“No.”

Twilight's face screwed up and ears flattened as Dash breathed a burst of hot, rancid, horribly citric air onto her face. Her tail swished as she struggled to get the horrid smell out of her nose.

“Okay, okay. I’m up.” Twilight complained, cracking open her eyes and staring at Rainbow blearily. “You couldn’t give us five more minutes?”

“Nope!” Rainbow replied enthusiastically. “And this is my reason why!”

Twilight suddenly found herself face to face with a giant rainbow colored cake with a violet trim.

“Happy anniversary, Twilight!”

Twilight blinked a few times, rubbing the sleep from her eyes. Her gaze flickered from the cake to Rainbow’s face. Rainbow was biting her lower lip and looked as though she wanted nothing but to release a bout of laughter. There was nothing but pure joy flowing in her eyes.

After a moment, Twilight’s brain fully booted up. She shook her head a few times to clear the haze, then promptly jumped into her lover’s embrace.

“Hold on, you… you baked me a cake? Aw, I love you. Happy anniversary!”

Rainbow took her opportunity to pepper Twilight’s face with kisses.

“Well… I helped. Truth is, this was made by me and the kids. Remember the last time I tried baking a cake alone? Neither you or the kids would eat my charcoal cake.”

Twilight giggled. “Cake isn’t supposed to be crunchy, Pookie. Imagine Pinkie’s face if she saw that. She’d call it an insult to baking.”

“Hey, at least I tried.” Rainbow grumped.

“Aw,” Twilight leaned over and met Rainbow’s lips. “I eventually had a slice for you. It’s the thought that counts.”

Rainbow chuckled and gazed at Twilight’s face.

“Gosh Twi, even with horrible bedmane, you’re still the cutest pony alive. That’s so unfair.”

Twilight blushed and buried her face in Rainbow’s chest floof. A moment later, she resurfaced.

“So Dashie, you wouldn’t let me know any of your plans for our one year-anniversary. What are we doing?”

“Well first.” Rainbow smiled, grabbing two plates and placing them on the bed. “I’m feeding you breakfast in bed. Now grab some cake and let’s dig in!”

The next hour passed quickly with the two mares eating, showering, and preparing themselves for the day. They happily spent their time bantering and teasing each other, and the first interruption, a very welcome one, found them on their way down the hallway.

“Uh oh, here comes trouble.” Rainbow smiled.

“Mom!” Scootaloo shouted gleefully, tackling Rainbow Dash and sending them both into a laughing pile on the floor. Scootaloo popped up to her hooves and threw a tight hug around Twilight too. “It’s so great to see you guys!”

“Jeez Scoot,” Twilight chuckled, squeezing her daughter. “You saw us just last night, what are you so excited about?”

“Well, because my parents are celebrating an anniversary and actually happy and I’m so happy because today is gonna be awesome and…” Scootaloo ran out of breath, choosing to just hug Twilight harder. “I just love you guys so much!”

Rainbow hugged Scootaloo from the other side and threw her wings around the pair. “We love you too, kiddo.”

“We certainly do.” Twilight cooed, giving Scootaloo a quick peck on the forehead. Scootaloo gave off a sound that was somewhere between a giggle and a happy squeal.

“Okay!” Scootaloo announced, dropping out of the hug, a giant grin stuck on her face. “You two have a great day to have! I’m gonna go play with the Crusaders on the farm!”

“You bet, squirt.” Rainbow bumped hooves with Scootaloo. “See you tonight!”

“Of course!” Scootaloo scampered off.

The two mares were silent for a few moments before Twilight piped up.

“She was really excited for other ponies to celebrate an anniversary. Did you tell her something?”

Rainbow chuckled. “Let’s just say I have a little surprise for you tonight, and Scoots helped me plan it.”

“Ooh, what kind of surprise?”

“You,” Rainbow booped Twilight’s nose. “Are just gonna have to wait and find out.”

“Aw,” Twilight’s lower lip drooped. “Not even a hint?”

“You’re gonna love it.” Rainbow smiled.

“Well that doesn’t surprise me.” Twilight returned the smile, pressing up against Rainbow’s side. “You do know me pretty well at this point.”

“Pfft, yeah, it’s almost like we’ve lived together for over a year.”

Rainbow went silent for a moment, staring at the ground.

“Rainbow, what’s wrong?”

“I… well, I do have another surprise for you, but it’s uh… it’s not great.”

Twilight shrugged. “I’m sure I’ll still like it.”

“O-okay. Be right back.”

Rainbow trotted over to one of the unused bedrooms and moments later, came out carrying some kind of case. With a sigh she set it on the floor and opened it, pulling something out.

“A guitar?” Twilight questioned. “You can play?”

“I… well…” Rainbow trailed off. “Sort of. You know how I’ve spent all those extra hours helping Applejack out on the farm?”

“Yeah? I thought it was because you two had grown closer after the fight and the crowd and such.”

“Well, I mean we have, but… She’s been teaching me. I’m not great yet, but I wanted to play you a song on our anniversary. And well, here we are.”

Twilight blushed and sat down, eagerly awaiting Rainbow’s performance.

Rainbow sat down too, cradling the guitar. She set herself around it and started awkwardly tuning it, slightly shaking.

“O-okay. So this is a l-love song that Applejack taught me. I hope you like it.”

Rainbow set to playing. It was a slow, melodic tune, frequently interrupted by sour notes or missed strings. Rainbow flinched every time she made a mistake, but soon started singing in a nervous, quiet voice.

We’re far apart, in every way
But you're the best part of my day
And sure as I breathe the air
I know we are the perfect pair

On a prickly path that goes on for miles
But it's worth it just to see you smile

And I cannot be pulled apart
From the hold you have on my heart
And even if the world tells us it's wrong

You're in my head like a catchy song

Twilight clapped a hoof over her muzzle as her eyes misted up. Rainbow took a moment to clear her throat and snuck a glance as Twilight. A ghost of a smile appeared on her face and Rainbow’s confidence grew, her voice now louder and clearer as she sang.

The seasons change and leaves may fall
But I'll be with you through them all
And rain or shine, you'll always be mine

On a prickly path that goes on for miles
You're the only one who makes it all worthwhile

And you should not blame me, too
If I can't help falling in love with you…

With a flourish, Rainbow ended the song, looking at Twilight anxiously.

“So what do you thi-”

Rainbow found herself cut off as Twilight threw herself into her, tightly hugging her.

“It was beautiful. Thank you so much, Dashie.”

“Y-you liked it? I thought it kinda sucked.”

“Well, the playing could use some practice,” Twilight teased. “But everything else was beautiful. Just like you.”

Rainbow’s cheeks turned pink as she returned the hug.

"Applejack told me she found her dad playing that the night after her mom died. She asked him to teach her it, and after her dad died, it became her lullaby for Applebloom when she was having trouble sleeping. Always settled her right down. Apparently her mom singing it is the only memory Applebloom actually has of her.”

Rainbow rubbed the back of her neck.

“So I figured, most special song I can think of for the most special pony I can think of."

“I didn’t get you anything as amazing as that.” Twilight broke the hug, staring at the floor. “I’m sorry.”

"H-hey, it's okay. I'm just happy to spend the day with you."

"Well, let me grab your present anyway." Twilight responded, subdued.

Twilight took a couple deep breaths, and shut her eyes tightly. She lit up her horn and a moment later there was a soft pop as she teleported a wrapped gift to her. She placed it down in front of Rainbow.

Rainbow put her guitar away and eagerly ripped off the wrapping paper, taking in the sight of her present.

It was a book with a hornwritten title.

"Twilight Sparkle's Compendium of Advanced Aerial Tricks" Rainbow read.

"It has all sorts of tricks I came up with just watching you fly and doing some research. I even have a section on co-op stunts for ponies the exact size and weight of you and Scootaloo! I factored in flight speed too, and have additional parts for when Scoots grows taller!" Twilight spouted, a smile returned to her face.

"Holy… Twilight, this is awesome! This is way better than my present!" Rainbow grinned, throwing a hug around her lover.

"Nah, it was nothing." Twilight chuckled.

"What are you talking about?! This is awesome! I can't wait to try some of these out tomorrow!"

"Ye- wait, why tomorrow?" Twilight blinked.

"Because it's our anniversary and I'm not doing anything without you."

Twilight nuzzled the underside of Rainbow's chin. "Aw, what a sweetie. So what's next, Pookie?"

Rainbow nuzzled her back. "Well, I made dinner plans for about… four hours from now. I don't actually have anything planned for in between."

Twilight dragged herself along Rainbow's side, pressing herself against her. Rainbow kept her chin against Twilight's coat until her head was raised with a flaunt by Twilight's tail.

"Well Scoots is gone, it's a very special day, and Spike probably won't be up for a few more hours. I'm sure we can figure it out." Twilight purred, walked up behind Rainbow and nipping one of her ears.

"I'm sold on that." Rainbow grinned.


"Alright, I'm showered and dolled up in Rarity's dress. Now will you tell me where we're going?"

"Bistro del Hay." Rainbow smirked, pulling on her saddlebags.

"Wha- Rainbow! Last time I was there, I embarrassed myself in front of everyone! Why would you want to go back?!"

Rainbow placed a hoof over Twilight's shoulder. "It's also the site of my greatest triumph, finding myself with you. Besides, it's nice, and seems poetic considering that's where we got together a year ago today."

"Well…" Twilight hesitated. "Fair argument."

"Just try not to get food poisoning again. And maybe stay away from the mushrooms." Rainbow chuckled.

Twilight bumped flanks with Rainbow. "You're gonna hold that over me forever, aren't you?"

"Pfft, yeah. Obviously."

Twilight chuckled. "You're lucky you're cute."

Rainbow winked. “Only on occasions.”

"Alright you, let's get going. You wanna fly or is your wing still messed up?"

“Yeah, it’s healing, but I’d like to walk with you anyways."

"Well maybe you wouldn't have pulled a muscle if you weren't pushing yourself so hard at three in the morning."

"I don't see the correlation there."

"Then you're an idiot."

"Yeah, but I'm your idiot and you love it."

Twilight gave Rainbow a quick kiss on the cheek. "This is true."

And all too soon, the two were out the door and on their way to the restaurant. The familiar din of the music, the chattering couples, and the soft rose themes raised unpleasant memories for Twilight.

The two mares were seated and made their orders.

"So, Twi." Rainbow fidgeted with her wings. "You uh, having a good time?"

"Well the memories aren't great, but the company is… okay, I guess." Twilight winked.

“Pfft, bite me.” Rainbow scoffed.

“You do look like the tastiest snack here~” Twilight cooed.

Rainbow choked.

“Twilight! We’re in public!”

“I know.” Twilight winked, closing the distance between her and Rainbow. “They can watch.”

Twilight watched as Rainbow’s face flushed red before breaking out into a loud spurt of laughter.

“Oh that was perfect! Remind me to thank Pinkie for advising me to say that.”

“W-what?” Rainbow sputtered, face bright pink, wings flared widely out. “That was a prank?”

“And you said I couldn’t prank!” Twilight chuckled.

“You suck.” Rainbow moped, folding her wings back into her sides.

“Ask me nicely enough and I might.” Twilight winked seductively.

Rainbow’s wings flared out again.

“Twilight!”

Twilight fell into another fit of laughter, her hoof gently slamming on the table.

Rainbow crossed her forelegs grumpily. "You're mean."

"Love you."

"Yeah, yeah."

Twilight tittered as the waiter brought two steaming plates of food out, laying them in front of Twilight and Rainbow. With a deep bow, he left the mares to their food.

Eyeing Twilight’s dish, Dash stifled a laugh.

“I see you didn’t get mushrooms. Well, there goes my plans for some dinner entertainment down the drain.”

Twilight made a face and flicked some of her rice at Rainbow. Rainbow chuckled and wiped it away.

“Better watch it Dashie,” Twilight smirked. “I swear I’ll kick your cute butt.”

“Oh yeah?” Rainbow tossed back. “You’re a pony who reads books all day, what can you do? Bore me to death?”

“I only look at the books because they’re nicer looking than you.” Twilight laid an elbow on the table, and rested her head on the front side of her foreleg.

“Ooh!” Rainbow chuckled. “Fuck you.”

Twilight raised an eyebrow and smirked.

“Behave yourself and I'll consider it.”

Rainbow's face turned red again.

“Is this really an appropriate conversation for a public place?” Rainbow asked awkwardly, rubbing a foreleg. “I know you don’t have the best image in the papers this last… year.”

Twilight scoffed. “The tabloids will always be full of garbage, and honestly? If ponies have a problem with my flirting with my girlfriend, they can get over it. I don’t care if it’s a sexual joke or not, I’m enjoying time with you, regardless.”

Rainbow stuck her tongue out at Twilight. “Damn Twilight, you’re really horny today. Get it?” Rainbow gestured at her own forehead. “‘Cause you got the… horn?”

Twilight snorted into her hoof.

“Rainbow, even by your standards, that was an awful joke. Three out of ten, and that’s being generous.”

Rainbow harrumphed. “Remember when we first got together and I was the one embarrassing you?”

“Yeah?”

“Can we go back to those days?”

“Absolutely not.”

Before too long the couple was done eating, paid their bill, and left. Rainbow took Twilight around the back of the restaurant and began walking toward a small hill.

“So is this the surprise you’ve been building up? Stargazing?” Twilight teased, before looking over at Rainbow to see her shaking. Her ears were flattened against her head and she kept ruffling her wings.

“Rainbow Dash, are you okay?” Twilight asked, dropping the sarcastic tone. She laid a wing over the pegasus, who pressed herself deep into the alicorn’s warmth.

“U-um, yeah. You will see the surprise soon, this is just a nice place I wanted to sit with you.”

At the top of the hill, there was a simple picnic blanket and a lightningbug glass attached to one of the lower branches, softly illuminating Rainbow’s form with a golden glow.

“So... alright, here it is.” Rainbow mumbled, dropping her saddlebags before letting out a loud whistle.

Instantly, a group of uniformed pegasi burst up from the ground. They were decked in the familiar blue and yellow Twilight had seen countless times since dating Rainbow Dash.

“Is this… a private Wonderbolts show?” Twilight asked. Rainbow nodded in response.

As the Wonderbolts ducked and dived, pulling off crazy stunts and near misses, Twilight found herself entranced. Before long there were fireworks, and the stunt ended with six of the Wonderbolts releasing purple dust from a small bag and crossing, painting Twilight’s cutie mark in the sky where it was perfectly framed by the sunset.

Twilight blinked a few times and stared and Rainbow Dash. “Oh my goodness Dash, that was… incredible!”

Rainbow Dash took a deep breath and turned to face Twilight, picking up and holding one of Twilight’s forelegs in both of hers.

“Twilight, I know I’m not good at sappy, but I just need you to know you’re the light of my life. The brightest star in the night sky. You’re the very image of perfection and I… I love you more than I even thought was possible.”

"So that was your surprise?" Twilight wiped away a tear from the corner of her eye. "Impress me with a Wonderbolts show then compliment me until I cry?"

"W-well… no" Rainbow replied nervously, dropping Twilight’s hoof. "None of that was the surprise."

Twilight blinked and cocked her head slightly to the side. "Then what is?"

Rainbow took a deep breath and pointed at the sky behind Twilight.

"That is."

Twilight turned around to find a large message written in the clouds.

TURN AROUND

Twilight slowly turned around and immediately a gasp escaped her lips.

Rainbow Dash was kneeling down, one forehoof in the dirt and one holding a box with a shining gold ring sticking out of it.

"Twilight Sparkle, will you marry me?"

Twilight gazed between Rainbow and the ring, eyes brimming with tears and mouth agape. Her entire body spasmed, and she took in a deep shuddering breath, her hoof shooting up to cover her muzzle. Twilight found herself unable to respond for a few moments.

A few moments too many.

Rainbow’s hopeful smile slowly died, replaced with a frown of dissapointment.

“Was it too early? I co-”

Rainbow found herself cut off as a purple feathery mass threw itself around her, clinging to her as if her life depended on it. Rainbow felt Twilight nodding furiously into her coat.

“Ohmygoshohmygosh YES!” Twilight screamed out, her enthusiasm pushing Dash over and sending the pair rolling down the hill where Twilight found herself pinning Dash to the ground, pulling her into a deep, passionate kiss. The pair stayed like that for a moment, then Twilight broke out to pull Rainbow into a rib shattering hug.

Twilight released the hug after a few moments and levitated the ring over to her. She gently placed it on her horn and looked back at Rainbow.

Both of them had rushes of inexplicable emotion raging through their body. They were united. They were connected. They were… complete.

Twilight could have gone on for hours about the elation she felt staring into her lover’s eyes. Her fiancée's eyes. The pure, concentrated, unadulterated happiness. But at that moment she knew she could sum it up with three little words.

“I love you.”

“I love you, too.”