• Published 21st May 2020
  • 2,721 Views, 490 Comments

Fly Like You - Jinzou



What do you get when you cross a neurotic princess, an impulsive pegasus, blossoming romantic feelings, and trying to co-parent a mentally unstable twelve year old?

  • ...
7
 490
 2,721

Unrequited?

Rarity’s eyes shot wide open with glee as she pulled Twilight’s head into a tight hug, pulling her neck and putting Twilight in a blood choke.

“Twilight dear that’s FANTA-”

Rarity paused, dropped Twilight’s head, and let out of a small cough.

“I mean, that’s fantastic. I’m so glad you’ve finally come to terms with your feelings, darling.”

Twilight rubbed her neck. “Yes, well… I don’t know what to do about it. I mean, what with the whole timing being as it is. And what if I try to talk to her about this and she doesn’t think of me that way? What if asking her that ruins our friendship?! And then we’ll have to co-parent and she doesn’t even want to SEE me! And what if I don’t actually love her? What if this is all my negative thought processes latching onto the closest being portraying positive behavior to me, and all my emotions are just attempts to have her not leave me? Oh Celestia, what if me asking breaks up our entire friend group? We’ll all break apart and grow apart and it’ll be ALL MY FAULT!”

“Twilight, you’re yelling.” Rarity chuckled.

Twilight’s face turned pink. “Oh. I’m sorry.”

“It’s quite alright darling. Now let’s break this down. I want you to sit back, close your eyes, take a deep breath, and tell me exactly how you would describe your feelings about Rainbow Dash to anybody else.”

Twilight leaned against the backrest of the chair and sank into it as she closed her eyes.

“Rainbow Dash is… well, ever since she broke into my library all those months ago, panicking about Scootaloo, she’s been somebody completely different. She’s always been a reliable friend and a free spirit, but since then she’s had some kind of… something holding her down. And holding her to me. And she’s been growing as a pony, and helping me and Scootaloo to grow too.

“She has such an infectious, great personality and even when we’re not around each other I can’t get her out of my mind. She’s so nice and amazing and can so easily put me at peace, and that smile… Oh Celestia that smile. Everytime I see that cute little smile of hers I feel butterflies in my belly.

“And through Scootaloo I’ve seen a whole new side to her. Before all this, the most I’ve seen her break out of her ‘tough tomboy athlete’ façade was her actually admitting to liking to read. But she’s become a whole new pony to take care of her and I just… I love the pony she’s become. I mean, like personality wise, not just… yeah.

“And most recently, after the… incident at the farm, she’s been my anchor. Even with how recent it was… I don’t think I could be doing it without her. She has such a way with words and comfort, and after what she and I did last night…”

Twilight looked up at Rarity, whose eyes were wide open and cheeks were growing pink.

“Uh darling… What did you do last night? Did you two...”

Twilight blinked and cocked her head to the left before realizing what Rarity was implying. “Wha- No! Nonono! Not that! It’s just… I may have been crying in her bed and she came up and… cuddled me to sleep. She was just really warm and soft and…”

Twilight took a moment to sigh and rub her eyes.

“When we went to go visit my parents after adopting Scootaloo, Rainbow Dash was joking around, full of bravado as always, she pulled me into a tight hug, and I guess my mom saw the face I was making. She took me aside and basically told me that my dad and her approved of us and… well, that kind of brought my feelings to that light.” Twilight rubbed one of her forelegs with the other. “And since that, that thought, and thoughts of her have been bothering me every day. And… yeah.” Twilight finished lamely.

Rarity gazed at Twilight with a half smile and half lidded eyes. “And you think these feelings grew as a result of grief? Come now, Twilight, you’re smarter than that.”

“Well… okay. I guess I can’t deny that I might… have an interest in Rainbow Dash…”

Rarity smirked. “Darling, let’s call it what we both know it really is. I want to hear you say it.”

Twilight took a deep breath and exhaled slowly, unable to contain the words any longer. “I love her. I love Rainbow Dash.”

Twilight’s heart soared as she finally uttered those words, and she noticed Rarity clapping her hooves together, her smile growing wider.

“But…” Twilight protested. “That doesn’t change the fact that Rainbow Dash may not return the same feelings. I don’t want to put our friendship at risk trying to act on this elaborate romance I’ve planned out that she definitely doesn’t want any part of.”

Rarity rolled her eyes and huffed, but fixed Twilight with another half grin. “And now it’s time for Rarity to make what is obvious to everyone else clear to you. Twilight, how often are you and Rainbow Dash physically intimate?”

“Rarity I already told you we haven’t-”

“No darling, I don’t mean like that. I’m speaking hugs, nuzzles, cuddling, that sort of thing.”

Twilight tapped her chin. “Hmm. I’d say… at least every other day at minimum. Usually every day.”

“Well, isn’t that just so dear?” Rarity swooned. “And pray tell, when is the last time you saw Rainbow Dash hug somebody other than you or Scootaloo?”

Silence pervaded the room until the tension was thick enough to cut through.

“We all hugged after you guys fixed up my castle. And before that, the day I got my wings…”

“One on one darling. When was the last time you saw Rainbow Dash hugging only one other pony?”

Twilight didn’t answer.

Rainbow Dash,” Rarity continued. “Is not a very physically affectionate pony. In the entire time I’ve known her she’s hugged me once, and that was just because I was clearing her name in front of the Wonderbolts and she got a bit excited, as is her wont. But if you get physical affection from her almost daily, you have to admit she probably sees you differently. Not only that, but she shows her sensitive side to you all the time. The only other pony she does that around is Scootaloo, who is her daughter, and I promise you that aside from you, the pony she cares about most in the world. She still puts on her pretense of a tough, almost emotionally distant athlete around the rest of us. Just think about that for a while.”

Twilight took a few minutes to consider what to say.

“But… I mean, it’s easy to interpret what I’ve done as... attraction. But Rainbow Dash doesn’t blush much. She doesn’t get all jumbled up around me like I do around her. She doesn’t show the same signs as me.”

Much to Twilight’s surprise, Rarity let out a laugh at this.

“Darling, haven’t you ever read a romance before? Do all of those ponies show attraction in the same way?”

“I… no. They don’t.”

“My final point is,” Rarity finished. “Remember a couple months back when Applejack said one of her distant relatives passed? If I told you I went to her house to cuddle her to sleep that night, you would assume me interested in her, would you not?”

Twilight nodded mutely.

“So how is this any different?”

Twilight stared out the window, chewing gently on her bottom lip for several moments. She turned back to Rarity, a ghost of a smile on her face.

“So what do I do now?”