• Published 21st May 2020
  • 2,736 Views, 490 Comments

Fly Like You - Jinzou



What do you get when you cross a neurotic princess, an impulsive pegasus, blossoming romantic feelings, and trying to co-parent a mentally unstable twelve year old?

  • ...
7
 490
 2,736

One Big Happy Family

"So I was just thinking..." Twilight started mysteriously. It had been a few days since Tirek had been defeated. In the meantime, Twilight and Spike had gotten around to exploring and drawing a map of the castle, and Scootaloo and Rainbow had spent most of their time outside, working on Scootaloo's flight. Scootaloo was a little worried that she was such a wobbly flier, considering maybe she was just a naturally terrible at flying even with functional magical passageways. Rainbow had quickly shot her down, reminding her most fillies her age had been flying for years, and she was starting from the beginning.

At the current moment, all four family members were sitting in the castle's surprisingly comfortable lounge.

"Thinking? Oh that's never a good sign." Rainbow winked at Scootaloo. Scootaloo giggled in response. Twilight just huffed, but even she let out a smile at that. Recently she had it found surprisingly much harder to get annoyed at Rainbow's antics. She might be impulsive, crass, and sometimes a bit oblivious to other's feelings, but strange as it was, Twilight found herself to feel anything but content and at ease around her. She had found a way to make this strange, makeshift family of theirs something that felt new and fresh every day. Twilight had never had a friend that... oddly disarming before.

"Ignoring that little comment..." Twilight chuckled. "Do you think it may be time to get out for a bit? Maybe take a break? We could go see our parents. You could introduce Scootaloo to yours, Rainbow Dash, and I know my parents would love to see me again considering I got... married."

Rainbow Dash grinned. "You finally said it!"

Twilight tittered. "Yes well, you were correct Rainbow Dash. If everyone else is just gonna call it that, why bother even fighting it any more?" Twilight put her hoof to her chin in mock consideration. "Besides, I guess I could do worse than you. Maybe."

Rainbow gave off a cocky laugh. "You sure could. Try everyone else in Equestria! You should consider yourself lucky I agreed Twi, you made a great catch." Rainbow batted her eyelashes in a very Rarity-esque fashion.

Scootaloo lifted a hoof up to her open mouth, making retching sounds, before elapsing into a giggle fit. "Aw gross, are you guys really flirting in front of me? Get a room!"

The two mares laughed and settled into a companionable silence.

Rainbow spoke up. "I think you're right Twi. We barely spent any time with your parents when we were in Canterlot. And if we're going to visit my parents, I think we should probably do that at the end of the trip. I've told you what they're like, haven't I?"

"What's wrong with your parents?" Scootaloo asked.

"Well nothing's wrong with them..." Rainbow rubbed the back of her neck with a hoof. "Nothing's wrong with them. I'm very close with them and I love them very much, but... Scoot, have you ever heard of the term helicopter parents?"

Scootaloo shook her head.

"What it basically means is that Rainbow Dash's parents are a little... overbearing." Twilight explained.

"Yeah, and they're unpleasantly overpowering." Rainbow agreed.

Twilight glared at the back of Rainbow Dash's head. "Rainbow, that's literally exactly what overbearing means."

Rainbow Dash shrugged.

"But... surely they can't be that bad?" Scootaloo questioned.

Twilight and Rainbow Dash shared a look.

"Scoot, they... they hung up the diaper I was wearing when I took my first steps. And they bronzed the apple I bit into when I had my first tooth."

Scootaloo let out an involuntary snicker.

"If I come by with not only a wife, but a daughter... I don't even know what would happen, but I'm sure it'd be embarrassing. And I don't think any of us want that over our head the entire time. At least I know I don't." Rainbow finished.

"Okay, I see your point." Scootaloo chuckled. "And I thought I was bad with the Rainbow Dash fanclub."

"Nah, there's a line between whatever my parents are, and a fan club." Rainbow laughed, elbowing Scootaloo lightly. "One is clearly deserved, and one is a bit too much."

Twilight tapped her chin, lost in thought. "Actually Scootaloo, you should bring your scooter for when you come visit my parents. I think you may get along better with my mom than you thought."

Scootaloo gasped. "Does she have a scooter too?"

Twilight shook her head. "No, but you are both some crazy adrenaline junkies from what I've seen." She scrunched up her nose as she turned to face Rainbow Dash. "I seem to have an odd proclivity to attract those kinds of ponies for whatever reason."

Rainbow Dash grinned and waggled her eyebrows in response.

"But... Rainbow Dash, didn't you take a ton of leave days to take care of me earlier, can you get away with leave for that long?" Scootaloo felt a pang of guilt.

"Luckily, leave days don't have a limit, and I've been working there so long I still have a lot of time left." Rainbow Dash scoffed. "Besides, considering I've been key in saving Equestria on at least a half a dozen different occasions, I can easily get away with a lot of stuff."

Twilight turned to Spike, who had thus far been quiet. "And of course, this time we can actually bring Spike! So it'll be even better! Feel up to sending a couple letters?"

Spike nodded confidently and pulled a quill and parchment out of thin air.

"Hey Twilight..." Scootaloo hesitated. "Not trying to pry too much here, but what exactly is your relationship?"

Twilight blinked in confusion. "Oh. Well, it's not really clearly defined. I did technically hatch him and raise him, and he definitely grew on me quickly when we were both young, but I'm only like... six years older than him. So..." Twilight looked a little uncomfortable, and shot a quick look at Spike. "Hybrid of sister and mother I guess."

Spike nodded, causing Twilight to give off a relieved sigh. "I mean, we've never really discussed it, but considering Twilight hatched me but didn't lay me, that sounds about right to me. Anyway Twilight, one letter to your mom and to..." Spike looked between Twilight and Rainbow Dash.

"Bow Hothoof." Rainbow replied tersely.

Spike turned to Twilight, quill at the ready.


"So we've got the date set." Twilight chirped. "Now all that's left is the next big mystery. This." Twilight waved a hoof around the throne room of the castle. "I've asked the girls here to see what we can find out. And considering these thrones all have our cutie marks..." Twilight paused a moment to think as she sat in her designated throne, missing the small flash of light that emitted from the throne itself. "I think we're supposed to figure this out together."

Scootaloo watched Rainbow Dash take her own seat, and Spike his. While Spike didn't have a throne as big as the rest of them, he had a smaller one right next to Twilight. Scootaloo had nothing. Seeing this, Twilight bit her lip in contemplation. A moment later, she teleported off. The three remaining creatures heard some sort of magical impact, then Twilight teleported back into her throne with several chunks of crystal. As she got to work arranging a smaller throne to match Spike's, but set it between hers and Rainbow Dash's, the rest of the friend group had arrived.

Taking her new seat, Scootaloo beamed up at Rainbow Dash and Twilight. Twilight rubbed her forehead as her friends started taking their respective seats. "Okay, so let's figure this thing out." She sighed.

"We've been over it like a million times, Twilight! We found all six keys, defeated Tirek, and got this sweet castle! End of story!" Rainbow moaned.

"Yes, but why?"

"I dunno, sugarcube. Maybe it's just your new house and there ain't nothin' more to it than that." Applejack piped in, taking her seat.

"I must say, speaking strictly on aesthetics, there really doesn't need to be more to it. It's all simply divine!" Rarity added, climbing into hers. She missed Rainbow Dash rolling her eyes at her.

"I agree with Twilight. And Rarity. And Applejack. And Rainbow Dash. And Pinkie Pie. Oh, and probably Spike and Scootaloo." Fluttershy said, taking her own seat then letting out a frightened squeak when each of the large thrones began to glow and hum magically.

From the side of each throne came a row of crystals making their way to the center, and when they converged, a large flat table grew in front of their eyes. As soon as the table stopped growing, a holographic display of a map of Equestria sprang up upon it. And just as suddenly, the cutie marks of all the mares began glowing. A small representation of each cutie mark started floating above a mountain range quite a distance from Ponyville.

"Is that uh... supposed to happen?" Asked Scootaloo, staring at the gaping expression of everyone there.

Author's Note:

Mission success! Acquired one (1) happy family! Also received: one (1) season 5 opener getting in the way of vacation plans. Friendship problems are so inconsiderate.