• Published 25th Mar 2020
  • 332 Views, 11 Comments

Holy and Hellish brothers - NinjaTurtle



Brothers unknowingly become warriors of God and Satan sent to a new world to stop eachother. They hope to go home, but when up against each other, who will fall and who will stand afterwards?

  • ...
11
 11
 332

16 Day of travelling

Chapter 16
Day of travelling

---------------------
Charles
---------------------

Charles had no idea what time it was, but he was rudely being woken up by his internal clock. Said clock being his stomach and/or his bladder.

He flung the covers off the top part of his body as he pulled his legs out from the covers and over the side of the bed. He then sat up, rubbed his face with his hand and then opened his eyes.

He semi-consciously got up, dressed and out without a second thought. Behind him, he could hear the light tapping of stone on wood as his new pet golem followed behind.

By the time he was outside, he was now mostly awake, stretching to loosen his stiff muscles. On his back, he could feel the golem climb up to perch on his shoulder like a weird parrot.

He gave one final yawn before speaking his first words of the day.

"Good morning. How are you? " he said, turning his head to look at his golem. It looked back before nuzzling its face into the side of his face.

"I should really give you a name. " Charles said, mostly to himself.

He thought of giving it a normal human name, but he didn't know which to choose. He tried thinking of pet names but again, there were too many. Then he thought of playing with words.

It was a spider, or arachnid if you want to get technical. The golem, while not really having a gender, just felt like it should be male for some reason. So, after much thought, he came up with…

"Hey, how's the name Aaron. " Charles said to his golem. The name was a simple butchering of the first part of the word arachnid, but it would do. It looked at him and bobbed its head, signaling a yes.

Charles played with Aaron for most of the morning as he took mental notes as to what his golem could do. Especially because, without anyone else noticing, he had added an extra battery rune to his golem.

It could somehow climb the walls of the cart without scratching it and could produce magical string, just like Charles. Aran could hang from the string like a spider and Charles could already picture the glowing web that Aaron could form with it.

He was sitting on the roof of the cart when he heard the door open. From the sound of the steps, he could tell it was Jesse, even without looking.

"Morning, Jesse. " Charles said.

Jesse looked up at Charles. "Oh, hi. You're up early, aren't you? " she asked.

Charles shrugged. "This is normal for me. " he said. He jumped down and walked over to her as Aaron scuttled next to him.

"So, what are you doing? " she asked.

"I was just playing around with Aaron here. " Charles said, gesturing at the spider golem that was hiding under Jesse.

"Oh, so you named it. What does Aaron mean? " Jesse asked.

"I don't know, it's just a name. I just took the word 'arachnid' and changed it. " Charles answered.

"Oh. Well, that was anticlimactic. ".

Charles chuckled. "Yeah. I don't know what you expected. Some deep meaning behind words or something. ".

"Well yeah, kind off. " Jesse said, looking a bit embarrassed.

"Well, once you give me a gem to work with, I can make you a golem and you can name it whatever you want. " Charles said as he turned to Aaron and petted him.

Jesse then turned her attention back to Aaron as well. "So, what can he do? " she asked.

"I'm not fully sure. So far I know he can make magical strings to make itself a web, like spiders can. I also noticed it was able to climb the side of the cart and it was hanging from the underside of Harry's bed. " said Charles.

He continued by saying "I've only had him since yesterday so I'm not sure of everything. ".

"Do you have anything like this where you're from? " Jesse asked.

"Umm...sort of, not really. We have spiders, but this would probably be more related to a drone. They are super complicated and have to be controlled. They also need recharging and are quite expensive. " Charles said.

"Oh. I guess some things are easier with magic then. " she said.

"True, true. But some things are also easier with science. Each of them have their uses. " Charles said as he shrugged.

There was a second of silence as they had nothing to say before Charles spoke up.

"Well, I guess we should get a move on. I'll get ready to pull. Can you check on dumb and dumber. Thanks. ".

It didn't take long to get the harness on. He waited for Jesse. He saw her pop her head around the corner with her thumb up. Weather that meant they were awake or they were good to go, he didn't care as he pulled.

---------------------
Half an hour later
---------------------

Charles and Jesse were walking together. Aaron had made himself quite comfortable on Charles's back. It had been quiet since they started.

"So, you've heard us talk about our world, now can we talk about this one? " Charles said.

"Oh, sure. What do you want to know? " Jesse asked.

Charles shrugged. "I don't know. How about...your work? " he suggested.

"Oh, OK. As I said, I work as a seamstress. I work with animal and monster skins and make coats, hats and boots. " she said.

"Monster skins? What do you mean by that? ".

"Well, you see, we have hunters that go and hunt animals and monsters. The remains are then brought back to be cut up into furs, meats and any special materials, which are then sold. " Jesse explained.

"Oh, like in games back home. Go out, hunt monsters then loot. Rinse repeat. ".

"Well, sort of. They only go hunting at certain times of the year or if they start getting too close to our towns. Mainly because the monsters help keep other, more dangerous ones, out and away. " she said.

"Does that mean the ponies have hunters then? " Charles asked. Jesse just laughed hysterically.

"Pony hunters, hahaha. Oh, that's a good one. They're more likely to befriend the damn things. Either that or the princesses will blast it with the RBB. " Jesse said, still chuckling.

"RBB? ".

"Rainbow Banishing Beam. It's what Griffin's call the Elements Of Harmony. " Jesse clarified.

"Ha, that sounds fitting from what limited knowledge I have of them. I take it this RBB banishes bad guys. " Charles guessed.

"Yep. It banishes villains away for a thousand years, unlike us Griffin's that prefer a more... permanent method. ".

"Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure humans would prefer the permanent module more. I mean, what's the point of locking them away just for them to come back when most of the threats it knew are long dead? " Charles asked.

Jesse shrugged. "We've told the ponies this but they keep saying that it's fine. At this point most Griffins have a weapon for self defense just in case one of these villains makes their way over to us. I mean, I have a few weapons back at the shop. " she said casually.

Charles raised an eyebrow to this. "Are the ponies really that bad? ".

"Depends on who you ask. But, most will say no, their worst. " Jesse said, smiling.

Charles shook his head. "At this rate, being banished from Equestria might look like a good thing. " he said with a chuckle.

Charles looked up as he went to talk more, but ended up quickly shutting up as he saw some Griffin's in armour. What was worse, was that they were heading straight towards him.

"Excuse me, are you one of the creatures that were recently banished from Equestria? " said one of them.

"Umm...yes? Is there a problem sir? " Charles asked.

For fuck sake! Can we go more than a day without something happening? Charles thought to himself.

"No. We are simply patrolling this road and happened to see you approach. " said the other Griffin before he looked at Jesse. "And who is this? ".

Jesse replied before Charles could get a word out. "Im Jesse Straightwing. I was simply traveling along with them since we are heading the same way. ".

"And where would that be? " said the first Griffin.

"Huntington, sir. " she said. This caught Charles attention, but he kept quiet for now.

"Ok. Stay safe. " said the Griffin's before they walked off behind them.

"Huh, well. That went better than expected. " Charles said.

"Meh, the patrol Griffins usually are since they get bored walking up and down the same road. Anyone walking these roads is usually nice to them as well since they help keep thieves and bandits that used to cause problems off the roads. " Jesse said as they both continued.

"Nice. " simply replied Charles.

Jesse nodded and continued. "Yeah, it is pretty nice. Besides, the king was looking for a way to keep his soldiers active so they don't become useless like the pony royal guards. ".

Charles gave a raised eyebrow at this. "You have a king? I thought this world only had princes and princesses. ".

"No, that's just a pony thing. Griffins have the proper system. " she said.

"If the ponies are this bad, how do they rule most of this world? Like seriously, they sound as if any decent army could walk straight in and take the place with no problem. " Charles said.

Jesse just shook her head. "A: because their princesses rule the sun and moon. B: they have the Elements of harmony which, although we joke about it, is the most reliable way to lock away a villain. And C: the ponies are good at 'sharing' with us. " she said.

"Well, that must suck. I mean, they are...oh, hi ginge. " said Charles as he felt someone approach from behind. He could see that it was Harry's shadow on the ground.

"Morning. " he said bluntly with as little enthusiasm as possible.

Charles looked behind him to see Harry walking behind him with his cat golem walking next to him. Harry stretched a bit as he looked to be fully awakening.

His golem pet cat also appeared before jumping impressively high and climbing onto the roof of the cart. It quickly layed down and went back to sleep.

"So, how are you, ginge? " asked Charles as Harry caught up, now walking to his side opposite Jesse.

He yawned before responding. "Tired. ".

Charles chuckled at Harry. It could be midday and it would still be too early for Harry.

As Harry continued along with them and became more awake, him and Jesse started talking together. Charles became more quiet as he simply listened in, only adding in a comment every now and then.

Quill eventually came out as well. He was a lot more awake and looked a lot more happy. Apparently, a good night's sleep on solid ground did him some good.

On Quills back was the humanoid golem, riding him like he was a horse from Earth. Looks like I'm not the only one with a golem on their back.

Charles and the others continued to walk and talk, only stopping to have a break or to swap out the puller of the cart. That job had now gone to Quill.

During their conversation, Jesse had asked Harry and Quill what their golems were called. Quill's golem was called Solem because it rhymed. Harry's golem was called Sid because it sounded like the middle part of obsidian.

I'm not the only one that chooses a simple name for my golem.

When the day finally came to an end, it took no time at all to set up a campfire with Harry's hell magic being able to light just about anything on fire. That is where we stayed until, one by one, we went to bed.

Charles smiled to himself, being the last to fall asleep as he read his rune book in bed. It had been a boring, peaceful day and he wouldn't want it any other way.

Author's Note:

I don't know why this took so long, but here it is.
Enjoy.