• Published 25th Mar 2020
  • 331 Views, 11 Comments

Holy and Hellish brothers - NinjaTurtle



Brothers unknowingly become warriors of God and Satan sent to a new world to stop eachother. They hope to go home, but when up against each other, who will fall and who will stand afterwards?

  • ...
11
 11
 331

15 A good start

Chapter 15
A good start

---------------------
Quill
---------------------

Quill stacked his last plank against the wall which was covered in the slanted patch work of wood and nails. The other waĺls around him didn't look any better with them being just as bad or even worse.

He sat down and watched as Griffins and Minotaurs helped lift crates and boxes, stacking them in rough piles.

Just as he turned his head, he saw Jesse approach.

She had bits of cloth wrapped around her fore legs but, other than that, didn't look too bad. But that was just what he could see.

"Hey, you done? " she asked.

"Yeah, I've finished. You OK? " he asked.

"I'm perfectly fine, just a few bruises. " Jesse said.

With that short interaction done, the two walked together to the top deck. They passed lots of the crew patching themselves or others up with bandages.

As they reached the top, they started to see wounds that were a lot worse than the cuts they had seen downstairs. Gashes, missing limbs and other sickening sights.

Jesse didn't seem as affected, but made an attempt to ignore the more silent and unmoving ones.

Aside from that, the ship itself didn't seem too badly damaged. The mast was mostly untouched while the boxes were tied down before the fighting, meaning that they were still safely secured. The worst of the damage seemed to be holes in the floor which were only now being repaired.

They continued to the other side of the ship until they found the brothers.

They were sharing a roll of bandages, probably taken from the box of medical supplies the crew had opened up. They were covered in cuts and bruises as they spoke to each other.

It took a second before Harry and Charles recognised that they were looking at them. They used their magic as the glow reappeared, signaling that they had their translators on.

"Hey Quill. Hi Jesse. " Harry said as he continued wrapping a bandage around his leg. Charles just gave a slight wave of acknowledgement as he focused on tying off a bandage on his arm.

Jesse replied first. "Are you two OK? You both look like you fought a dragon. ".

"Feels like it. " Charles groaned.

"Oh, stop moaning. " Harry said.

Charles simply replied with "Harry, shut up. ".

Harry smirked, clearly not bothered by Charles's rudeness.

"Do you two need any help? " asked Jesse.

"Nah, we're fine. " Harry said.

"Got anything to eat? " Charles asked.

"Oh, of course you would think about your stomach first. " Harry quipped quickly. Before being told to shut up again.

Looking at Quill, Jesse asked "Do they always argue like this? ".

"Not as much, but yeah. " he answered.

"Am I interrupting something? " came a gruff voice from behind Quill. He turned around and was only a few hooves away from the face of the Captain.

"And you are? " Harry asked.

Despite the rudeness of the comment, he smiled. "I'm the Captain. I just came over here to thank you for your help defending this ship. " he said.

"Oh, umm, your welcome, I guess? " Charles said.

"Thank you. While I'm here, as a reward for your actions, I was wondering if you needed anyone? " the Captain asked.

The brothers looked at each other for a second. Charles then spoke.

"Would it be possible to just pay us a reasonable sum of money. The Equestrians didn't give us much and we're running a bit low. " he said.

The Captain nodded. "That's what I expected. You'll be paid once we get to shore. Now, if you will excuse me, I must tend to the rest of the ship. ".

With that, the Captain turned and walked off.

"Thanks! " shouted Harry. The Captain didn't reply.

"Well, that solves one of our problems. " Charles commented, going back to his last bandage.

Jesse raised an eyebrow at that. "One of your problems? What else do you need? " she asked.

"A home, a job, better clothes, stuff like that. " Charles said.

"I can help with some of those things. " Jesse said, gaining the boys and Quills attention.

"Really? " Quill asked.

She smiled. "Of course. I work as a seamstress. I usually make fur coats and stuff for Griffins that go hunting in the north. But I'm sure I can make you two something. ".

Charles and Harry both turned and high hoofed. Or was it high handed?

"Thank you Jesse. " they both said simultaneously.

"Ah, ah ahhh. I'm not one of those pretty little pony's. I do expect something in return. " she said, which only slightly dampened their mood.

"Meh, we'll be getting some reward money once we are off the ship. We could all go out for a good meal. Then, me and Charles could let you stay in the cart for the journey to your place. " Harry said as he was clearly not bothered.

Charles nodded at this. "Seems fair. We give you a free meal and a free trip in exchange for some clothes and a place to stay till we can get our own place or something. Deal? " he asked.

Jesse smiled. "Deal. ".

For the next two days, nothing much happened. Quill spent the time just relaxing and talking with anyone. The brothers spent their time together, rarely separate but always talking or arguing over something.

When they finally arrived at the Griffin docks and they had got off the ship, the first thing that Quill did was stretch his legs on solid ground. Charles and Harry weren't far behind, taking in a breath of air as if noticing a difference.

Jesse came out a little later with her sadle bags on. It took another half an hour till the cart was unloaded from the ship and handed to them. Along with the cart, a Griffin crew mate came out and handed a hefty coin bag to them.

"That everything? " Charles asked.

They all answered positive as Charles put the harness on and started walking.

"Where are we going? " asked Harry.

"There's a 'no parking sign' here. We need to park the cart somewhere else. " Charles said.

"Even in another world? Some things just don't change, do they? " Harry commented with a smirk.

It didn't take long before they parked the cart and headed off to look for somewhere to get dinner. While Quill was hoping for a fancy restaurant, the others had something else in mind.

After a short five minute walk, they arrived at a simple fish and chip shop. He could smell the fish and other meats wafting out of it.

Looking at the two humans he saw that they were holding back the erg to drool. Charles seemed the most affected as an audible grumble came from his stomach, though it didn't look like he cared that we heard it.

"Right, what do you want? " Charles asked.

"Cod and chips. " said Jesse.

"Sausage or pie and chips. " Harry said not a second later.

"And you? " asked Charles, a bit impatiently.

"Umm...I'll have a vegetable pie and chips. " he answered.

Charles gave a very quick nod before disappearing into the shop.

"He seemed eager. Do you have shops like this where you're from? " Quill asked Harry.

"Yeah, of course. Britain's known for its love of fish 'n' chips. We're also known for our bad weather, tea and crumpets, our Queen and being posh, but that's beside the point. " Harry said.

"Wait, what? Your posh. Yeah right. " Jesse said laughingly.

Harry smiled before he started changing his posture. In less than a second, he went from his normal slouched posture to that of a highly respected noble. If it wasn't for the clothes, he could easily think of him as one.

"Why, I'm sorry, my lady. I hope this is more to your standards. " he said, his accent changed and his voice proper.

Quill could see Jesse's face burn red in embarrassment as Harry looked at her. Harry then started laughing, Quill following suit as Jesse looked away to hide the blush.

Charles came out with two bags not long after, the white greasy paper visible inside.

"Ok, let's get back to the cart so we can eat. " Charles said as he took off at an impressive speed walk. Harry walked next to Charles while Jesse and Quill strolled behind.

At their pace, it took less than three minutes to get back to the cart. Quill and Harry stayed outside as Charles sorted the food and Jesse went to go find a restroom.

"Dinners done! " called Charles from the cart.

"Coming " Harry said.

The door of the cart opened as Charles picked up and gave Harry his food. A second later, and Quill walked away with his balance on his muzzle.

He sat down opposite Harry, who was using his magic to create a dark platform to sit on. Quill picked up his dinner off his snout, opened it and started eating.

Jesse returned not longer after Charles got out with his dinner in hand. He copied Harry and sat next to his brother on his own magic platform.

Quill saw Charles take one bite of the fish before sighing in delight, a smile across his face. Harry was much the same as they both chewed, taking in the taste.

"You two seem happy? Has it really been that long since you had a good dinner? " Jesse asked. Both boys just nodded.

"I don't think you're going to get much out of them now. " Quill said, chuckling as both boys looked at him, then each other, shrugged and went back to their dinner.

"Must be some good fish then. " she said as she bit into her own fish.

They all ate in relative silence, with Quill and Jesse occasionally trying to start a conversation. The first one to finish, to Quill's surprise, was Charles.

"Finished already? " asked Jesse, a tad bit surprised.

"Yeah. I've always been a fast eater. " Charles replied as he walked towards the nearest bin. Quill looked at Harry for answers but got a shrug in return.

Harry was the next to finish, with Jesse not far behind. Quill was still eating his as it was much harder to pick the chips up without the claws or whatever the Griffins, Humans and most other races had.

After they all came back to sit and talk, Charles came out the cart with three small bags he had somehow got.

"Whatcha got there? " Jesse asked as she saw the bags.

"These are the golems I have been working on for the last week or so. " said Charles before turning to Harry. "Ginge, catch. ".

Charles tossed a bag to Harry, who caught it, and then put another next to Quill.

"Aww, don't I get one? " Jesse asked sadly.

"Bring me a gem of your choice and I'll make you one. " Charles offered. He opened his bag and emptied the runed stones and diamond onto the ground.

Charles sat on the dirt as he looked nervously as a glow appeared around his hand.

"I hope this works. ".

Quill saw bits of Charles's magic flow into the stones. They slowly started levitating and spinning around the central diamond. Other nearby stones were pulled into the swirl till there were about fifty tiny pebbles and stones.

Once there was enough, the spinning slowed as it started to take form. Once it had stopped, a cat sized spider golem stood where a pile of stones had been.

The diamond glowed from within the body of the golem. Any runes that weren't in the main body were in the abdomen. It turned its 'head' to look around, its legs shifting like an actual spider.

While everyone looked at it stunned, it took its first steps towards Charles. When he didn't move, the spider simply climbed up on him and perched itself on his shoulder.

"It...worked? It worked. HA, IT WORKED! " Charles shouted happily, standing up as the golem clung to him.

Harry didn't wait as he emptied his bag and copied Charles' actions. Like before, it spun, collected more stones from the surroundings and then started taking shape.

What was left was a golem cat, the obsidian positioned where the heart would be. Like the other golem, it looked around before walking to Harry.

It started rubbing up against his leg, just like a normal cat, and had a rough approximation of a purr.

"This is awesome. " Harry said as he started stroking his golem.

Now it was Quills turn. He emptied his bag onto the floor, put his hoof to the gem and waited. He was very surprised when the gem took magic from his hoof and started to build itself.

Once the process was done, Quill was left with a typical golem. It looked very much like the humans, just without the head.

"Huh, that's weird. " Charles said as he looked at Quills golem.

"It sure is. " said Quill as he petted his new pet golem.

Author's Note:

This will be it for a while. Depending on the vote on the blog I made, I might come back to this.

Hope you enjoyed.