• Published 14th Feb 2020
  • 4,745 Views, 121 Comments

Anon-A-Miss Aftermath: The Day After - CapNTilfy



The day after the Anon-A-Miss incident, life goes on as usual... except for a select few people.

  • ...
12
 121
 4,745

Eighth Period

Author's Note:

I added the "Death" and "Suicide/Self-Harm" tags to this story after completing this chapter. You have been forewarned

Ever since Sunset sat down at her desk, she had been unable to stop thinking about that vision of her tombstone.

Her death. One of her few fears. Reminders of her own mortality, let alone anyone else's, always chilled her to the bone.

Sunset couldn't help but flash back to the times she felt she was truly at death's door. When she hadn't gotten used to the food of this world, and nearly died of starvation. When she willingly ended her life out of guilt, only for that to be part of the rainbow's illusion.

She shuddered, and her heart began racing.

Mortality was one of the biggest reasons why Sunset enrolled in Princess Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns. If the Princesses could be immortal, why couldn't she? Why shouldn't she? She was gifted, so it only seemed right!

"Sunset", Princess Celestia said solemnly. "It's true that Princess Lu-..." She paused, and for the briefest of moments Sunset could have sworn she saw an expression of deep regret. "...It's true that Princess Luna and I have lived far longer than anypony, but I'm afraid there is no 'secret' or 'immortality'. Someday, we too will pass away. Nothing can, nor ever will, change that."

Sunset, being as selfish as she was back then, believed that she was being lied to and that Princess Celestia was keeping the secret of immortality to herself! She decided to give that matter a rest though, as she had found a mirror…

But once Sunset entered the forbidden Dark Magic Library in her search for knowledge about the mirror, she could not resist looking for spells for immortality. She spent countless hours poring through every book whenever she wasn’t being mentored by Princess Celestia.

After having read nearly all the books in the library, Sunset had found nothing. She had just a few books left to read when she found information on the mirror… then got caught.

Just before Sunset ran through the mirror, she began to suspect that Princess Celestia kept the secret of immortality for herself. Well, she’d get it out of her one way or another… but the mirror came first.

Sunset sighed heavily as she covered her forehead with her hand. Why in Equestria was all of this running through her head now?!

Sunset weakly held onto a low-hanging tree branch as she heaved and vomited on the ground. She had been in this strange new world for about a week now, and no matter what she ate she'd throw it back up within minutes. She let out a weak moan, then threw up again as she felt a bout of dizziness. Tears fell from her eyes as anxiety took hold of her, causing her to finish emptying her stomach. Am...am I going to die? She sniffled weakly as she felt her legs give out. "I-I don't want to die...alone..." she fell to the ground as she lost consciousness.

Please.

Sunset opened her eyes slowly as she found herself in what looked to be a hospital room. She felt tired. So very tired. The beeping of the monitor near her kept her attention until a nurse walked in and gasped, then ran out. Sunset blinked in confusion, then realized in shock that that was about all she could do. She began to panic until a doctor came in and stuck with a needle. Waves of calm slowly made their way through her body. She sighed, then fell back asleep.

She didn’t want this. Not now.

With each person she passed, she remembered their feelings and the guilt it brought her. By the time second period rolled around, she caught sight of a particular student. The way Sunset shattered her heart. The anguish nearly consumed her, and she screamed. Unable to take any more, she ran to the roof of the building and stepped to the edge. She turned around to see Twilight's friends, who looked at her with grave concern.

Sunset sniffled. "This is for the best," she said, then jumped.

Sunset took a shuddering breath, then closed her eyes.

Sunset jolted awake with a scream, startling all of her new friends awake.

Here lies Sunset Shimmer

She is in a much better place now

Sunset shook her head rapidly, and she began to seriously question if coming was such a good idea after all.

“You’re a monster!”

Sunset grit her teeth. She was a stubborn woman, she could beat this! She thought of the warmth and friendship between herself, Rarity, Applejack, Princess Twilight, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie. A wave of calm washed over her, and she felt better. She didn’t know why she hadn’t done that sooner!

Sunset sniffled. "This is for the best," she said, then jumped.

Because it didn’t work, that’s why. “Dammit,” Sunset muttered under her breath.

Sunset woke up screaming, drenched in a cold sweat.

Sunset fell to the ground as she lost consciousness.

Sunset felt her mind beginning to race as she clutched her head. “Stop…”

Sunset plummeted from the rooftop of Canterlot High, then woke up screaming.

“You’re a monster!”

Pushed far, far, beyond her limit, Sunset Shimmer took a deep breath...

...and shrieked in mental anguish, causing everyone to stop.

Then everything went black.

Sunset plummeted to her death, then woke up screaming.

Constant cycles of her snapping screaming dying played in endless loops death rebirth cycles too much for her to handle-

Sunset felt a hand touch hers, and she realized that she had been clutching her desk tightly. She looked to see a light gray hand atop her own, then followed the arm to gaze into violet eyes.

Marble Pie closed her eyes, then took a deep breath and exhaled as she opened them. “Sunset… I-I believe in you. You’re going to be okay.”

Sunset’s eyes widened. For someone as shy and introverted as Marble Pie to speak out in support like that was a big deal!

Marble gave Sunset a sincere smile, and that was when she was struck with an epiphany.

Curly Winds. Cherry Crash. Cranky Doodle. Scribble Dee. Pixel Pizzazz. Tennis Match. Vinyl Scratch. Derpy. Torch Song. Fuschia Blush. Lavender Lace. Soarin. Diamond Tiara. Silver Spoon. Snips. Snails. Flash Sentry. Marble Pie.

They all weren’t just being nice to Sunset out of pity. They all cared. Genuinely!

“Oh…” Sunset whispered as a tear fell. “Oh, wow…” She now understood that her circle of friends had gone beyond just her six girls. It was comforting. It was heartwarming. And it was overwhelming.

The bell rang, and Sunset shot out of her seat to hug Marble.

“Thank you,” Sunset said between sniffles. “You have no idea how much that means to me coming from you.”

Slowly, Marble returned the hug. The warmth of her embrace soothed Sunset, and she wanted it to last as long as possible.

The sound of a throat clearing caught both Sunset and Marble off-guard, and they broke the hug.

A light gray middle aged woman stood before Sunset and Marble. She adjusted her glasses, and her orange eyes twinkled expectantly.

Sunset blinked in surprise at the appearance of Ms. Raven Inkwell, one of Principal Celestia’s personal aides.

“Sunset?”

“Y… Yes, Ms. Inkwell?”

“Come with me. I’d like to talk to you.”

Sunset nodded, then walked away, but not before turning around and mouthing ‘thank you’.

Marble smiled. “Mmm-hm!”

Sunset left the classroom with Ms. Inkwell.