• Published 20th Jan 2020
  • 593 Views, 18 Comments

The Lost Secret of Twilight - Dark Rose 777



Discoveries of a old scroll, written before it's time, and within it lies an ancient magic of old.

  • ...
1
 18
 593

The Other Sides (Part 2)

Sweat poured down her face. She shook her head vigorously to get her hair out of her eyes. Then she turned around, her back to the tree. She leaped forward, away from the tree, and landed on her hands, swinging her legs up. They hit the trunk with tremendous force, sending golden-red apples raining down. She grabbed a basket and darted around the tree, catching, dodging, and picking fallen apples. She spotted her older a few trees up father than she was on her row. She growled in frustration, and, letting competition get to her, moved on without a second thought.

The filly's name was Applejack, first daughter of Bright Mac and Pear Butter, with emerald eyes and golden locks, separated into loose pigtails that draped over her shoulders and down the front. It had been two years since her return from Manehattan, and she almost missed the city life. . .just a little bit. To be clear, the one thing she'd actually liked about that place was the fact that there was no work to be done. Like, ever! Home is home, she thought, an' even if I have chores. I wouldn't have any other way.

"Applejack, I done!" Her little sister, Apple Bloom, bounced around the trees Applejack had finished, the basket on her head wobbling, scattering apples everywhere. Applejack smiled. Since she'd returned, her sister had begged and begged to help out on the orchard. She had, apparently "convinced" Granny Smith that she was old enough, but Applejack hadn't bought it. At that at age, she hadn't been old enough. Even though she wasn't much help, she was still a lot of fun to be around.

"Focus, AB. Look around you. Pick up those apples ya dropped!"

"Oh, sorry!" She bounced away, picking up her fallen apples. Applejack turned around at the sound of footsteps. Her older brother lumbered over to her, a strand of wheat dangling from his mouth. He glanced and Apple Bloom, frowned, and turned to her.

"AJ, remind me why she's out here again?"

"Aw, Mac, she's makin' the time passed faster. An' don it do ya heart good ta see her so happy?"

"Hmm," was all he said. He watched his baby sister jump around and fall over herself in excitement over the fallen apples. A smile broke the corners of his mouth and his eyes softened. "Just keep 'er safe, will ya?" He shook his head before quietly returning where he left off.

Applejack smirked. Although he disliked it, he hadn't made a move to stop her or refute her decision. The big softy.

"I aim ta please," she muttered. Her mood suddenly turning dark, she glared at the tree before her and swiftly twirled, her leg rising up to give the trunk a swift kick. Her sandal slammed against the bark, a few pieces breaking off and falling. The movement sent apples tumbling down. Applejack circled the tree while bright green leaves drifted around her, gathering apples and putting them into stick-woven baskets; before moving on to the next tree.

A few rows away, Big Macintosh watched her with a calm and careful eye. He frowned as he watched his little sister kick the trees with awful ferocity. Her eyes were dark, and he knew she was just barely holding in the tears. He shook his head again. 6 years. 6 years had passed and she'd never gotten over it. He, of course hadn't either, but she was so bipolar. A temper like no other. One would think Apple Bloom would be more angry, seeing as how she'd never met them. But what's done is done, and there wasn't any changing it.

~

The sun hung lazily over the horizon, revealing a light yellow and deep orange beneath it. Clouds drifted overhead, tinted with a faded pink. The leaves slowly changed from green to yellow and red, as they stretch beyond the farm. The birds chirped here and there, and Applejack could just barely make out the spring peepers. She sighed in contentment and stretched out comfortably on the red and white checkered picnic blanket. Her chores were done. All she had to do now was wait for the dinner bell. Macintosh was inside, helping Granny, she supposed. Her little sister was still gathering the apples she'd dropped. Applejack was a little bummed it had taken her this long, and she had complained to Big Mac, but he'd assured her that'd it had taken her just as long when she was about that age.
Oh, well. The day was nearly over. She could finally relax for the evening.

"Applejack! I done!" Apple Bloom walked carefully towards her older sister, two small baskets cradled in each arm, and three apples nestled in her hair. Applejack burst laughing when she saw the sight.

"Wha?" Her little sister sat down beside her, losing a couple apples in the process.

"Oh nuthin'," came the response.

"Aw, c'mon, tell me, what's so funny?" Apple Bloom asked, her eyes bright.

"You."

"What about me?"

"Ya lookin' like an apple princess," Applejack replied, smiling.

Apple Bloom smiled uncertainly for a second, then frowned. "I don't get it."

Applejack waved it off. "Aw, never mind."

"Alright."

"Ya did good taday, AB."

"Thanks!"

"Why don't you go put them apples where they belong?"

"Okay!" She scampered off.

The smile faded off Applejack face as she thought back to earlier. She frowned. She had messed up, of that she was sure, but she was just so. . .ANGRY all the time!

She just wished she had someone to talk to.

Someone who would understand.

Someone her own age.

Sure, she could talk to her own folks, but Granny would give her advice a century old, Macintosh wouldn't say much of anything, (And why would he, he wasn't a boy!) and Apple Bloom would ask question upon question, if she confided.

But they would have.

They would have totally understand- They had been in the same situation. And no matter what, they'd always made her feel better. But ever since. . . then, she'd told them to leave. To her shame, they had. She wished she could start over to that fateful day. She was sure she could've done something differently. But what's done is done, and there wasn't any changing it. . .

Unless you when back in time.

Back in time. . .

Such wishful thinking, my little one. . .

Author's Note:

Hey guys!