• Published 1st Feb 2020
  • 2,905 Views, 79 Comments

My Little Pony Friendship is Magic What If?: Volume 10 - SuperPinkBrony12



The tenth installment of What If series that involves the rewriting of episodes. This one involves rewrites of ten episodes from Seasons 1 and 2 and 4-8, and five from Season 9. (Warning!: Rewrites based on personal opinion. Please respect it!)

  • ...
4
 79
 2,905

S4 E12: Pinkie Pride (What If?)

Author's Note:

Considering I and just about everyone else adore this episode, you must be wondering why I would ever want to rewrite it or what I could possibly try to do different.

Well believe it or not, as strong as this episode is there are problems with it. Just about every episode of Season 4 feels like a first draft in the story department, and if you look closely you can find plot holes. This episode doesn't have ones that are as glaring as the likes of "Rainbow Falls" and "Twilight Time", but they are still worth talking about.

The biggest problem is how everypony in Ponyville sings Pinkie's praises one moment, and then the next they abandon her completely for a stranger that claims he can do more. Bare in mind that this includes even Pinkie's friends and even the Cakes (who are basically a second family to her), ponies who should at least not be so easily won over.

There is also Cheese Sandwich's explanation for his desire to compete with Pinkie Pie. It's sweet, but you do have to question why he never tried to explain himself earlier. The only real explanation is that like Pinkie he got swept up in the spirit of competition and explaining himself completely slipped his mind. It does feel in character, but at the same time it can feel like a retroactive "Freudian Excuse" (though it is leagues above the kind of flimsy justifications for some of the more infamous redemptions in the show).

And yes, I am an unashamedly CheesePie shipper who was more than happy to see it canonized in the finale (jury's still out on whether Lil' Cheese is a he or she, or if that's even his/her real name), so putting in some more ship fuel for it was something I couldn't resist.

Hopefully I've explained why you'll see the changes that are being made. They won't be as drastic as the previous chapters in this volume, but I'll understand if some of you prefer to skip this chapter and go to the next one. Also, I do wanna apologize for how I linked in "The Goof Off" and "Make A Wish" but those are songs I feel just work better as a visual thing, they're the kind of songs you can't really describe as happening in real time.

Fall Weather Friends
The Last Roundup
Putting Your Hoof Down
Pinkie Pride
Inspiration Manifestation
Slice of Life
On Your Marks (Bonus Chapter)
Marks and Recreation
Surf and/Or Turf (Bonus Chapter)
Sounds of Silence (Bonus Chapter)
Sparkle's Seven
The Point of No Return
Sweet and Smoky
A Trivial Pursuit (Bonus Chapter)
Dragon Dropped

The setting sun cast a hasty, orange glow over the town of Appleloosa that was in the middle of a glorious celebration! A celebration that had brought even the native buffalo tribe to town.

All were laughing, dancing, and playing. And all were seemingly unaware as a stallion with a coat of light brilliant gamboge watched them from afar. He was decked out in black cowpony attire, including a hat and a vest. "Well, Boneless," He spoke in a low, somber tone to the rubber chicken on his back. "Looks like our work here is done. Reckon it's time we mosey along, now."

The rubber chicken said nothing, but the stallion just trotted away anyways with a party blower in his mouth. "Yup, those ponies never partied so hard in all their life. And those buffalo too for that matter. All thanks to me, the second greatest party pony that ever was: Cheese! Cheese Sandwich!"

Then suddenly, Cheese Sandwich's entire body began to wiggle and shake, his cutie mark (fittingly, a cheese sandwich) moving and squeaking like an accordion. He leaped into the air as he happily exclaimed "Hoo hoo hoo hoo! Now that was a doozy if I ever felt one!" Regaining his composure and again downing his cowpony hat, he spoke to the rubber chicken. "Well, Boneless, looks like our next's party gonna be in..." He paused briefly to be sure he had interpreted the signals just right. "Ponyville!" A faint smile crept onto his face. "Yes, how fitting. At long last, I'll get to see her again. I can't wait to show her just how far I've come."

So Cheese Sandwich set off, it was a long walk to Ponyville but such was the burden of a traveling party pony. His destination was Ponyville, where an unaware Pinkie Pie would soon face the greatest challenge to her title as the greatest party pony of all time.

For Pinkie Pie the day started out like any other, with a party to plan. Of course, as any party pony will tell you a party doesn't just happen. There are supplies to be gathered, guests to invite, and a whole host of other things that have to be just right if the party is to be successful. But when one has been at the party planning (and throwing) game for as long as Pinkie, it all comes naturally. So she went about her work as usual, with a smile on her face and a spring in her step. And as she went along she was singing to herself:

Every single day there's something new that you can plan for.

Every single day there's something wonderful to do.

But nothing makes me happy like a day that I can say:

"Today I've planned a party, and it's just for you!"

Her first stop was a stand selling streamers. The stallion recognized her right away since few ponies were as frequent a customer as the pink coated party planner in his midst. "How's it going today, Pinkie?" He cheerfully greeted.

"Going great, thanks!" Pinkie happily replied. "Got any streamers today? Particularly big ones?" She plopped down the bits to pay for them.

"You betcha!" The stallion replied while he rolled the biggest roll of streamers he currently had into Pinkie's saddle bag, and while he needn't have asked he still did anyway. "Big party planned?"

"Don't you know it!" Pinkie Pie told him. "Stop by Sugarcube Corner later for a bash you won't forget!" Then she set off again.

There was still a lot of stuff to gather on short notice, as Pinkie checked over her list and kept an eye on the clock. But she wasn't worried for a second, she was more than up to the challenge. So she just bounced away while continuing to sing:

Don't have much time to gather all of the things I need,

If I'm really gonna make this party fly!

For today's another day that all of Ponyville will say:

"There goes the super party pony, Pinkie Pie!"

While the party pony was busy gathering her supplies, she couldn't help but overhear other ponies in town singing her praises. First up were the Cakes, the ponies who knew her perhaps better than anypony else in town. And they were singing (while pushing a stroller carrying their twin toddlers):

She planned our first foal shower where we played all sorts of games.

Having so much fun as we chose Pound and Pumpkin's names.

Even Diamond Tiara could be heard praising the party planner, albeit in her own backhoofed kind of way:

She planned my cute-ceañera. My dad made me, I won't lie.

I demanded all the best, and I suppose she passed the test.

Sure it was pretty good all thanks to Pinkie Pie.

Having overheard this Pinkie stopped briefly in her tracks and blinked. "Thanks, I think?"

She was snapped out of this pondering when a painter asked her. "Excuse me. What kind of paints did you say you needed again?"

"Oh, I'm gonna need the full rainbow!" Pinkie told the painter.

The painter poured all the colors he had into one of Pinkie's saddle bags while asking her. "You want a paintbrush too?"

Pinkie nodded. "Yes, if you please!"

"And what from me?" A unicorn mare running a banner stand asked.

"The biggest banner you've got!" Pinkie told the mare! "This party's gonna be the best!"

"Oh, I don't doubt that!" The mare laughed, especially once she had a party hat placed over her horn.

With all her supplies gathered, the party pony raced back to Sugarcube Corner to get everything ready! By now word had gotten out to the whole town about Pinkie's party, and an excited crowd had started to form. As they were making their way to Sugarcube Corner they could be heard singing in chorus:

Every single day there's something new that we can plan for.

Every single day there's something wonderful to try.

But nothing makes us happy like a day that we can say:

"Today there'll be a party planned by Pinkie Pie!"

Pinkie was already hard at work, pouring out all the paints onto the banner that she'd set down on the ground. Her friends were all nearby and were watching in excitement! "I don't know how she does it, she makes it look like child's play." Rarity commented.

"Wow, look at her go!" Twilight happily added.

"Oh boy, this is gonna be good! You bet your boots!" Applejack chimed in.

And Fluttershy shouted! "Go, Pinkie, go!"

The crowd was watching too, and they were all singing:

There's no other pony like her, no pony that could ever be.

As great! As fun!

As our super party pony, Pinkie!


With everyone gathered, Pinkie loudly declared to all who would listen! "Ooh, I am so, so, SO excited because today I'm officially planning the birthday bash of..." She paused briefly to build tension before concluding! "Rainbow Dash!"

Rainbow Dash wasn't far above, she was flying next to the painted image of her on the banner. "Yeah! A birthday bash by my favorite party pony! I couldn't ask for anything more!"

Pinkie smiled as Rainbow Dash fluttered down. "Of course you couldn't!" Then she pulled her friend close and told her in a dramatic tone. "Rainbow Dash, listen very carefully."

"What is it, Pinkie?" Rainbow asked in blissful unawareness.

With a determined and rather serious look on her face, the party planner told her pegasus friend. "You realize that, by officially enlisting me as your party planner, I guarantee you that this is going to be the funnest, most fantabulous, superbial party in Ponyville, right?"

Rainbow blinked. "Uh, yeah? I guess so."

Pinkie shook her head. "I'm not joking! There's no guessing on this! Parties are no picnic and don't ever let anypony tell you otherwise."

Fluttershy spoke up. "Oh, I like a nice picnic," When Pinkie turned and growled at her the pegasus fought back an eep as she added. "Um, forget I said anything."

The party pony promptly declared by glaring down at Rainbow Dash. "Listen and listen good: Parties. Are. Serious! And you have my certified Pinkie Party Promise," She repeated a series of familiar motions and then stuck a cupcake in her right eye. "That you will have the best birthday party in the history of ever!"

Rainbow wasn't sure what to say, so she just replied with a somewhat uncertain. "Okay."

Pinkie got off of Rainbow and then smiled as she announced! "Great, glad we understand each other! Alrighty then, who's ready to join this here super duper party pony to plan this super duper pa-rty?"

"I am." An unfamiliar, gruff sounding voice suddenly called. And all eyes suddenly turned to spot an unfamiliar earth pony stallion with a coat of light brilliant gamboge. He had a party blower in his mouth and wore a black cowpony hat and poncho while he leaned against an alley wall. His eyes and cutie mark were hidden from view.

Most ponies were unsettled by the newcomer's appearance, but not Pinkie. "Oh, hello stranger," She innocently greeted. "You're just in time for the party."

"Good, a party planned by you is something I wouldn't miss for the world." The stallion ominously declared.

"Uh, excuse me?" Fluttershy asked the stallion. "Just who are you? Uh, if you don't mind me asking."

The stallion spit out the party blower as he trotted forward. "The name's Sandwich, Cheese Sandwich to be exact. And let's just say that I plan parties." It was now possible to make out a pair of green eyes and a brown mane and tail that looked eeriely similar to Pinkie's, as well as what looked a cutie mark depicting a cheese sandwich that appeared to be in the shape of an accordion.

"Wow! What an amazing coincidence!" Pinkie said with a giggle! "Because I'm Pinkie Pie, and I'm planning a party!"

Cheese Sandwich answered in a somewhat cold tone. "Oh, it's hardly a coincidence, my little pony. You see, I have a thing called a 'Cheesie Sense' that lets me know when a party's about to go down. And my 'Cheesie Sense' was definitely a tingling, telling me that a party was in the works here. As usual, my 'Cheesie Sense' is correct."

"A 'Cheesie Sense'?! Wow, double amazing!" Pinkie Pie exclaimed in an impressed tone! "I have a 'Pinkie Sense', though it doesn't work exactly the same way your 'Cheesie Sense' does."

Cheese Sandwich nodded. "Yes, I already sensed you did. Though it seems your 'Pinkie Sense' can't sense my 'Cheesie Sense', not that it matters," Then he added. "I've been looking forward to meeting you for a long time, Pinkie. But I had to wait until my 'Cheesie Sense' told me the time was right. Which it finally is," He proceeded to explain. "Now I know you're a fine party planner, but give credit where credit is due. I'm a traveling party pony, and I just so happen to be the premiere party pony in all of Equestria. If there's a party of kind that needs planning, I'm the one they call on when the chips are down and nopony else can do the job. Be it wingding, hoedown, hootenanny, or shindig, I'm your pony."

Pinkie somewhat dismissively declared. "Well that's very nice of you, Cheese Sandwich, but this party's already been planned. Though if you want to help me plan the next party, I'd be more than happy to work with you."

"Sorry, but I can't stay for that long. I go wherever I must, wherever there's a party in need of planning," Cheese Sandwich protested. "I know you weren't expecting me, but I really want a chance to show you what I can do. Your parties are fine and all, but did you ever wonder what you could do if you had another pony on your level? A pony who could think like you, act like you, and replicate what you do?"

The pink party pony blinked. "Already tried that with the mirror pool, didn't work out for me."

Cheese blinked briefly in reply. "Oh, I see. Well, what I'm offering is more of a team up if you will. Two party ponies can throw a bigger bash than one party pony, wouldn't you agree?"

"Goodness, a pair of party planners in Ponyville?! What could possibly be more perfect?" Fluttershy smiled. "I think a team up sounds lovely." And several other ponies nodded their heads in agreement.

"Hey, I don't care either way. All I care about is making sure this party's epic!" Rainbow boasted. "Because after all, this isn't just any old birthday. It also happens to be the anniversary of when I moved to Ponyville."

"Good heavens, Rainbow Dash!" Rarity exclaimed in realization. "That would make it your birth-iversary! I had no idea!"

Pinkie blinked a bit. "A birth-ivesary, huh? That's going to require a little bit of last minute adjusting."

Cheese Sandwich promptly offered. "My suggestion of partnering up still stands, Pinkie. It would be an honor to work alongside you, even just for this birth-iversary bash."

"Thanks, but I've got it all under control. I haven't met a party yet that I couldn't plan and pull off!" Pinkie boasted. "But if you don't believe me you're welcome to watch me work my magic!" Some ponies in the crowd began to whisper to each other in concern, this was rather unusual behavior for Ponyville's number one party pony. She was acting not unlike she viewed Cheese Sandwich as a threat even though he gave no such indication.

Cheese Sandwich just sighed. "Well that's too bad, Pinkie."

"Why is that?" The pink party pony questioned. "You think you can do better than me when it comes to throwing parties?"

Cheese just replied. "Oh, I don't think so!" He promptly threw off his hat and poncho as he loudly declared! "I know so! After all..." He then began to break out into song and dance:

The super-duper party pony–that pony is me!

I always knew that was the kind of pony I would be.

"Hey, me too!" Pinkie pointed out, but Cheese didn't acknowledge her. He was too busy singing about himself:

Oh, when I was but a little colt, I just wanted to play.

But everypony always told me: "Cheese, that fun just wastes the day"

Pinkie scoffed. "Pah, as if!"

Cheese continued to sing:

But when I threw a party and I busted out some moves!

The ponies finally saw the light, and got into the groove!

The super-duper party pony–that pony is me!

You'll never meet another party pony quite like Cheese!

Suddenly sensing that she was overshadowed, Pinkie tried to speak up. "Uh, and Pinkie?"

But Cheese Sandwich only kept on singing, paying Pinkie no attention whatsoever:

My parties are all off the hook.

And I never plan them by the book.

I start out fun, and then whoopsie-daisy!

Everypony just gets crazy!

Bored of snacks made by your mom?

How about a giant party bomb?

Huge piñatas filled with cake.

Or dive into my fruit punch lake!

The super-duper party pony–that pony is me!

You'll never meet another party pony quite like Cheese!

He paused briefly while singing to kick open a huge present, revealing a hippopotamus that already had a saddle for riding placed on its back. "Here, kid, take it for a spin! Don't worry, he doesn't bite!" Cheese Sandwich offered a random colt from the audience a chance to ride on the tamed hippo.

The colt obeyed and was placed upon the saddle as he happily replied. "Golly! Thanks, Mr. Sandwich."

Cheese then went back to singing, now openly boasting about his talents:

Oh, when I throw my Cheese parties, be sure to not be lame.

And miss my pie fights, wacky kites, and streamers in your mane!

Fizzy drinks, Haywaiian shirts, and brie fondue delight.

You know that with Cheese Sandwich, you'll be partying all night!

Before Pinkie had a chance to realize what was happening, several ponies were rushing over to the newcomer and leaving her behind! Even some of her friends were doing so. "Sorry, Pinkie, but Cheese Sandwich's parties are loads more epic than yours! And if there can only be one party between you, it's go big or go home!" Rainbow Dash told Pinkie.

Fluttershy, meanwhile, was asking Cheese Sandwich. "You're really a traveling party pony?"

Cheese Sandwich nodded. "Yes sir, that's my guarantee. Looks like I got here just in time!" And as loud as he could he sang:

The super-duper party pony, that pony is me-e-e-e-e!

A dejected and downtrodden Pinkie could only watch as just about everypony she knew raced over to join Cheese Sandwich, leaving her behind and all alone. Only the Cakes bothered to stay. In vain, Pinkie called out in song to the fleeing crowd:

But what about the super party pony named Pinkie...?


Having decided on who she wanted to host her birth-iversary party, Rainbow Dash excitedly declared! "Aw yeah! Now that's what I'm talking about! I'm so stoked that you're here, Cheese Sandwich!"

Applejack commented. "You sure did come on the right day. We're happy to have ya here, even if it is just for a day or two. Not sure why Pinkie's gettin' so defensive all of a sudden, ain't like we're lookin' to replace her permanently. We just wanna try somethin' a little different is all."

"And you can bet your bottom bit that this party will be different from Pinkie's in all the right ways! Even she will be impressed!" Cheese Sandwich boasted even while in his mind he was thinking. "I was really hoping to work alongside her. But if this is the only way to get her to see how good I've gotten then I'll go along. I'll be sure to save her an invitation, just as I would've been willing to accept one to her party."

"Well, no offense to Pinkie, but I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do!" Rainbow commented as Cheese Sandwich was being carried away by an excited crowd of ponies. "I mean, Pinkie Pie's parties are fun and sweet and all, but now that you're on board this party's gonna be--"

"Epic?" Cheese questioned.

Rainbow nodded. "Yeah! It's like you can read my mind, Cheese!" Then she added. "But be sure to let Pinkie know I meant no offense. If it were any other party I'd probably still let her plan it, but a birth-iversary only comes once a year. So something like that calls for the big guns."

"Speaking of which, I hope you'll be pleased with the additions I'll be making to your party," Cheese Sandwich told Rainbow Dash. "As a party pony, nothing's more important to me than the satisfaction of my clients. What I want is to make you smile."

The brash speedster just declared. "You kidding?! With you in charge my birth-iversary is already looking way cooler! Forget twenty percent, you're definitely going to make it at least fifty percent more epic and cool!"

The party planning stallion happily replied. "You sure got that right, Rainbow Dash!" And then he announced to the crowd. "Listen up, party goers. I've got some serious party planning to do, and I need your help to make this birth-iversary celebration the best it can be. So can I count on all of you to help me out?"

"Yes sir!" The crowd of ponies eagerly and happily responded!

"Alrighty then," Cheese said with a smile. "First order of business: Somepony please check on Pinkie Pie and let her know I'm willing to offer a chance to work for me. I'm sure I can find a way to put her skills to good use, and I'd rather have her as a friend than a rival."


Back at Sugarcube Corner, all Pinkie could do was sit there and stoop as she looked at the remnants of her abandoned party. She refused to say a word even as she was silently wondering where it had all gone wrong.

"Pinkie, there's no need to be so glum," Mrs. Cake tried to encourage the party pony. "There'll be other parties to plan for your friends. And I'm sure Cheese Sandwich has his reasons for showing up and taking over the party planning from you. Even you could use a break from it every now and then."

But Pinkie said nothing, she just continued to stare at the ground in silence. "Was it something I said? Or maybe something I did?" She thought to herself.

Just then, Twilight came trotting by and called out to her party planning friend. "Hey, Pinkie!"

Pinkie frantically picked up a watering can and forced a smile onto her face, trying desperately to seem like she wasn't upset. "O-oh, hey... Twilight. What a... nice surprise." She chuckled.

Twilight couldn't help but feel uncomfortable and worried looking at the painfully obvious fake smile her friend was wearing. She wanted to say something, but a quick look at the Cakes told her it was probably best not to. Especially not considering what she ended up saying instead. "Cheese Sandwich wanted to ask if you'll come work for him and help him plan the party. Isn't that nice of him?"

"Yes, very nice." The pink party pony retorted while continuing to pretend to water the flowers.

"Well, aren't you gonna join him? It sounds like he really wants to impress you, although he won't say why," Twilight commented. "I think it'd be nice, you could probably learn a thing or two from working with another party pony."

Pinkie wasn't interested, she didn't even shake her head as she rejected the offer. "Oh, that's okay. He doesn't really need me, he's just trying to be nice. You can tell him thanks but no thanks, he obviously has what it takes to plan the party all by himself. He doesn't really need me to pull off an epic birth-iversary bash."

"Are you... sure?" Twilight pressed her friend, hoping to crack her forced, cheerful facade.

But Pinkie only kept up the forced smile even though she was now just pouring water on the ground. "Yes, indeedy!" She chuckled nervously and waited for Twilight to leave. Only once she was certain that her alicorn friend had left did she let the fake smile fade away. An unhappy sigh escaped her lips as she softly whimpered. "After all, if Cheese really is the super duperiest partying-est pony of them all, then maybe that means... I'm..." The next word was slow to leave her mouth as her lips quivered. "Not."

"Pinkie, where are you going?" Mr. Cake called out to the pink earth pony as he noticed her trotting away.

"To be alone with my thoughts, and my dreams." Pinkie vaguely replied with an unhappy sigh.

Mr. Cake tried to stop her as he shouted! "Pinkie, wait!"

But Mrs. Cake stopped her husband with a shake of her head. "Let her go. This is something she needs to work through on her own."

"Sugar plum, are you sure that's a good idea? You remember what happened the last time she got like this, right?" Mr. Cake questioned his wife. He had been out of town when said incident had happened, but having learned of it afterward had left him concerned for quite some time.

"We both know Pinkie is made of stronger stuff than she appears. It won't be easy, but she'll find a way to get through it," Mrs. Cake insisted. "And we'll be here for her if she ever feels like she needs to talk."

So the Cakes did nothing and just watched as the pony they considered family to them trotted away, her head hanging low to the ground.


Pinkie passed by several ponies, pretending to smile at them. Only when she was certain she was alone did she sing to herself in a sad tone:

For all my life, all I've ever wanted to do.

Was make my friends want to smile true.

But... maybe I was wrong.

And Pinkie Pie... shouldn't plan parties at all!

Not willing to let other ponies see her so upset, Pinkie decided to look for other possible areas of work. They didn't last particularly long, she just wasn't suited to them. Yet even while she was trying to find work she sang to herself:

I'll try to get up on my hooves!

And try a different task.

I'll find something new to do.

There's gotta be more to me than planning a party or two.

When all possible job opportunities dried up, an unhappy Pinkie returned to Sugarcube Corner and passed by the Cakes without saying a word. Her mane and tail were starting to deflate, as if someone had sucked out all the energy keeping them in their natural, poofy state of appearance. She started to put her party planning supplies into storage as she unhappily sang:

I put away my party cannon, I deflated all of my balloons.

The bubbles have all burst, now, Pinkie, what is next... for you?

For you...

Suddenly, a portrait hanging on the wall by the staircase caught the party pony's eye. She looked at it more closely, seeing a picture of herself as a filly just after she'd gotten her cutie mark. Her entire family was present, including all of her sisters (her favorite one had joined the party late, not that Pinkie had minded). Suddenly, the memory attached to the picture began to come back to her. "Oh, I remember this one," She fondly said to herself. "My first party ever. My whole family was there."

A quick glance across the staircase wall revealed several more pictures, each depicting a party or celebration of particular importance to Pinkie. "And that's Twilight's 'Welcome-to-Ponyville' party. She didn't even expect that one!" She giggled briefly at the memory before moving on to the next picture. "Oh, look at Gummy! He just looks so excited for his birthday party!" The last picture brought a smile to her face. "Shining Armor and Cadance's wedding sure was special, especially once I got a hold of the music. DJ-PON-3 was great!" And then as she put the first picture back on its frame she started to sing to herself:

Oh, just look at those happy faces!

All the parties that I had thrown!

I made them laugh, had such a blast.

A smile that's all their own.

They loved seeing me, the real Pinkie!

Show'd them the time of their life like they've never known!

Like they've never kno-o-own!

For a brief moment, Pinkie looked out over Ponyville from the balcony attached to her bedroom. Seeing it from this high up seemed to suddenly stir something inside of her, as she began to rush back down the stairs with renewed vigor! And as she did so she sang to herself:

I've got to get back out there, have to show them that I've tried!

For there's only one great party pony and that is Pinkie Pie!

I won't let Cheese Sandwich beat me, won't let him get me down!

For I am Pinkie, the bestest party pony around!


The Cakes were more than a little surprised to see Pinkie exit Sugarcube Corner all of a sudden, a look of firey determination reflected in her blue eyes!

"Pinkie, is everything alright?" Mr. Cake asked.

Pinkie rushed right past the Cakes, though not without answering Mr. Cake! "Never better! I've got to find Cheese Sandwich and get my title back! I'm not beaten yet, not by a long shot!"

And it didn't take long for Pinkie to find the party planning stallion. He was currently basking in the praise as everyone else admired his hoof-crafted ice sculptures, and custom made search lights. The party had been moved to the park, and the stage was now party planning central.

Suddenly, Pinkie stepped out from the shadows and shouted! "Freeze, Cheese!" A series of gasps echoed through the crowd as Pinkie locked eyes with the stallion and told him. "I challenge you... to a goof off!"

Several more gasps escaped the crowd as Fluttershy exclaimed! "Oh no, not a goof off!"

"Er, what's a goof off?" Applejack asked Fluttershy.

Fluttershy nervously replied. "I don't know, but it doesn't sound good."

Cheese Sandwich wasn't concerned, he just glared back at Pinkie while he told her. "Oh, so it's come to this? Very well. But fair warning, this cheese has stood alone for a long time, Pinkie. You seriously think you can out-goof me?"

"Oh, I don't think so," Pinkie shook her head. "I know so!" She trotted towards Cheese Sandwich and told him. "Why don't we make this interesting? Raise the stakes a little?"

Cheese replied in a somber tone. "Fine by me. What did you have in mind?"

"Simple, the winner of the goof-off is not only crowned the ultimate super duper party pony but will also headline for Rainbow Dash's birth-iversary bash!" Pinkie announced the wager.

"And the loser?" Twilight asked with concern.

"Doesn't!" Pinkie growled. "This town ain't big enough for the two of us! So the loser hits the road and never comes back!" Then with a smirk she taunted. "So, are you in, Cheese? Or are you... boneless?"

The stallion growled back. "Hey, nopony calls me boneless! Right, Boneless?" He questioned the rubber chicken on his back, only to get no reply.

With a satisfied smile, Pinkie declared. "Good, then we're all set. The goof off is on for high noon!"

But Twilight protested. "Um, Pinkie? Hate to break it to you but it's already three o'clock."

"Oh, okay then," Pinkie blinked. "Then we'll make it three ten to goof off!"

And Cheese roared! "You're on!"


The two party ponies arrived in the center of town a short time later, both prepared for a serious goof off.

Mayor Mare stepped forward to make an announcement before the start of the competition. "Everypony, Princess Twilight was able to find a goof off rule book. So we'll be following the guide lines the book suggests."

"There's an actual goof off rule book?" Rainbow Dash blinked in amazement.

Spike replied with a boast. "Are you kidding?! Twilight can find a rule book for anything! If it exists, she'll find it!"

Meanwhile, Twilight cleared her throat and told the gathered crowd. "Okay, everypony, this is how the goof off will go down," She read from the book. "It says here that the two competitors have free range to goof about -- be it by singing, dancing, playing, prancing, joking, or performing -- all to make the judge chortle, chuckle, giggle, guffaw, hoot and holler, whoop it up, and party down. The funnier, sillier, wilder and goofier, the better," Then she closed the book while scanning through the crowd. "Now, the book mentioned that the judge needs to be a certified expert in partying and goofing. Since we don't have anypony like that we'll have to improvise," She declared. "Rainbow Dash, since the winner of this goof off will headline for your party, you shall be the judge."

Rainbow gulped. "Great. I mean, a big, tense competition on my birth-iversary. What could possibly be better?"

Twilight ignored the comment as she instead looked at the two party ponies and asked them both. "Pinkie Pie, Cheese Sandwich, are you ready?"

"I was born ready!" Pinkie declared as she narrowed her eyes at Cheese Sandwich.

"And I was ready before I was born!" Cheese Sandwich replied as he narrowed his eyes right back at Pinkie.

"Okay then," Twilight smiled. "Let the goof off begin! May the best party pony win!" She promptly flew away and the goof off began!


The goof off was in full swing when Pinkie's eyes just so happened to catch sight of six colored streamers that matched the coat colors of herself and her friends. As she looked at them, a sudden rainbow shimmered and reflected off them, and into her eyes. A realization struck the party planner all of a sudden as she realized that she had gone too far! "Oh no! Rainbow's not having the best party ever!" She thought to herself in great horror! "I... I broke the Pinkie Party Promise! I have to make this right!" And that meant there was only one thing to do.

"Stop!" Pinkie shouted at the top of her lungs! "No more! The goof off is off!"

Various ponies exchanged looks of confusion and murmured to each other, unsure of what to say or think.

Rainbow Dash protested. "What do you mean it's off? I haven't actually named a winner yet."

"You don't have to, I forfeit!" Pinkie told Rainbow Dash and then gestured a hoof. "Which means... Cheese Sandwich is the winner. He is the ultimate super duper party pony."

Cheese Sandwich was overjoyed for a moment (he had been dressed in a conductor's outfit and was about to direct a seal to perform a song), before suddenly he realized what this meant. "Wait? I... am?"

Pinkie nodded. "Yes. So congratulations, Cheese Sandwich. You get the honor of planning and throwing the Rainbow Dash birthiversary bash."

Then Twilight trotted up and asked. "But what about you, Pinkie?"

Fighting back the tears Pinkie sadly answered. "I... I don't. A deal's a deal, so I have to move away," She got up and went to pack, sadly adding. "Sorry to leave you like this, everypony. It was nice knowing you while it lasted. Don't worry, I'll try to write."

A short time later, the pink party pony had packed up all her things into a cart that shouldn't have been possible to move. Yet she was going to tow it anyway, facing to the outskirts of Ponyville with a look of not just sorrow but also uncertainty.

"Pinkie, please! It doesn't have to be this way!" Mrs. Cake desperately pleaded! "If you leave..." She tried to think of a compelling argument. "Who's going to be our go to foalsitter for the twins?!"

"You'll find somepony else, I'm sure," Pinkie answered while not bothering to look back. "I can't go back on my promise now. Just because it's not a 'Pinkie Promise' doesn't mean I can break it."

Mr. Cake tried to insist. "Pinkie Pie, there'll be plenty of other parties to plan and goof offs to win."

The pink party pony just shook her head. "It's not because I lost, it's because I made the ultimate no no for any party pony. I'm sorry, but this is the only way I can make it right. Now I must go before I change my mind!"

But the earth pony had only gone a few steps when suddenly a frantic Rainbow Dash swooped down in front of her! "Pinkie, wait! Don't go!" And she tried to apologize. "Look, I'm so sorry I got swept away by Cheese Sandwich! I didn't mean for you to think I was replacing you or anything!"

"We really don't want you to go, Pinkie!" Twilight protested. "Just because you can't throw the party doesn't mean you have to leave. The whole bet with Cheese Sandwich was silly, nopony should have to leave town."

Pinkie only replied. "I'm sorry it had to get to that point. I could've taken Cheese Sandwich's offer to help, but all I could think about was my own status as a party pony. I let my pride get in the way of what was most important, the wishes of the birth-iversary pony. Cheese Sandwich really is a super duper party planner, and he'll be a terrific headliner. I should've been a big enough pony to admit that."

Rainbow responded by swooping closer to Pinkie. "But don't you get it? You're both super duper party ponies. The town is big enough for the two of you," She proceeded to explain. "I mean sure, Cheese Sandwich is a great guest party pony, but you're Ponyville's permanent party pony. You belong here! Nopony could ever take your place, Ponyville wouldn't be the same without you. And I'm not just saying that because you're a great party planner, I'm saying that because you're a great friend! After all we've been through, you think something like this is going to tear us apart? I think not! We could never have a party without you, Pinkie Pie."

As the friends embraced each other in a tight hug, Cheese Sandwich cleared his throat. He had been silently watching from afar, but now he came forward with his black cowpony hat clutched in his hooves. "Rainbow Dash is right, and I owe you an apology, Pinkie Pie," As he approached the mare he told her. "I never meant for things to get to the point where we had to hold a goof off. It certainly wasn't my intention to take your place or anything like that. I wouldn't dream of uprooting you from the place you call home. The whole reason I came here wasn't to pose a challenge to you, but because I wanted to show you what a great party pony I am, Pinkie Pie."

"Well, thanks, but why me?" Pinkie Pie wondered.

Cheese fought back a gulp as he paused briefly. "Well... it's... it's complicated," A sudden spark of inspiration came to him though as he explained. "Maybe it'll be easier if I put in a way we'll both understand." He then cleared his throat as he started to sing:

I fear that I told a little fib about my pony past.

I hope that when you hear the truth, you will not be aghast.

For I wasn't quite the super party pony like I claimed.

The fact is that I was so shy, nopony knew my name.

As he sang Cheese reflected back on his true past, as a shy little colt in Manehattan with the funny glasses. A pony that was practically invisible to everypony else. And a pony who decided the only thing to do was to pack up his things, and leave town.

He kept on singing, recounting what happened after he'd been on the road for a while:

I stumbled into Ponyville one afternoon by chance.

And found the biggest ever celebration party dance.

Everything was perfect, cheer was filling up the place.

And I saw that everypony had a smile upon their face!

Cheese Sandwich remembered how a rubber chicken had hit him in the face, and that had sparked a realization. He knew then and there what he wanted his life to be! And that's what he sang about:

Oh, I vowed that day to change my life! The past I did set free!

For now Cheese Sandwich was a party pony full of glee!

Yes sir! A super duper party pony, that's what I became.

I traveled all over Equestria, and all did know my name!

But that never could have happened on my own, I'll tell you why.

For the one who threw that party, it was you, Pinkie Pie!

Cheese ended the song as he remembered having looked up briefly from his party hat to spot a pink coated earth pony filly on a ball, juggling rubber chickens with practiced precision.

Pinkie quickly clued in to this as the realization dawned on her! "Me?!"

Cheese happily nodded. "Yes, really! The day I stumbled into that party of yours, was the day my life changed. I haven't looked back since."

"Well why didn't you just say so, you big goof?!" Pinkie half teased/half asked as she booped her fellow party planner briefly on the snout.

"I kept thinking what the best way to do that would be. I got it in my head that if I came to Ponyville for one of your parties and helped you plan it, you'd see what a great party pony I was. Then I would tell you," Cheese explained before he gave a bit of a nervous chuckle. "Obviously, things didn't go quite like I'd hoped. But it's not too late for us to start over, is it?"

Pinkie grinned! "Of course not! I'm more than happy to have you on my side, Cheese Sandwich!"

But Rainbow intervened to break up the discussion. "Alright, that's enough of the warm fuzzy stuff, you two! It's still my birth-iversary, which means you've gotta throw me a bash! Think you can handle that?!"

With a grin that rivaled Pinkie's Cheese Sandwich declared. "You forget who you're talking to?" He looked across to Pinkie Pie. "Shall we?"

Grinning back at the stallion, Pinkie nodded. "Totally! After all, when it comes to party planning, two heads are better than one!" So the party planners forged an alliance, eager to combine their ideas for an ultimate birth-iversary celebration the likes of which had never been seen before anywhere in Equestria! And as they set off they could be heard singing happily together:

Super duper party ponies: That is me and you.

A party thrown by one is good, but not as great as two.

Come on and let's join forces, have twice the expertise.

Now let's all go to the party planned by Pinkie Pie and Cheese!


The celebration was held at sundown in the park, everypony in town had gathered. Music was playing, rides were going, and everywhere you looked you could see ponies enjoying themselves.

As the spotlight shone on the stage, Cheese Sandwich stepped out with a small speaker in his hooves as he announced. "All right, everypony! We are here to celebrate the birthday..."

"...And anniversary..." Pinkie added.

"...Of Rainbow Dash!" The two party ponies said together, as Rainbow appeared in a shower of confetti!

The pegasus wore a party hat and the spotlight shone directly on her. Amidst the roar of the crowd she declared! "Hey, everypony! Who's ready to get their party on?! Hit it!"

A short time later, with the party in full swing, Rainbow stopped briefly to talk to Cheese Sandwich and express her gratitude. "Cheese Sandwich! Oh, I just gotta tell ya, you and Pinkie have totally made this the best birthday/anniversary super combo ever! Hah, it's totally-"

"-Epic?" Cheese guessed.

Rainbow nodded. "You bet it is! Are you psychic or something?"

Cheese just chuckled. "Nah, I just have a knack for these sort of things," Then he looked out at the party and spotted Pinkie Pie by herself. With his cowpony hat and poncho back on he declared. "If you'll excuse me, I have some unfinished business to take care of."

Pinkie Pie was currently writing down her lesson in the friendship journal. It was going to be about how important it was not to let your pride get in the way of letting others enjoy themselves, how you shouldn't automatically view somepony else as a threat or a challenge to your title or position. The only problem she faced was how to write it in a way that would make it easy to understand.

She was surprised to be interrupted in the middle of her writing when Cheese Sandwich pushed a box towards her with Boneless inside it. "Here," He told her. "Just a little memento of my visit. I believe this is yours."

Pinkie blinked. "You're giving me your special rubber chicken friend?"

Cheese said with a grin. "Well technically, he was yours to begin with when you tossed him at me all those years ago. I just sort of 'borrowed' him. I meant to give him back sooner but I never really got around to it."

"But, who's going to keep you company on the road?" Pinkie pondered.

The party planning stallion just laughed as he replied. "No need to worry yourself, Boneless has lots of brothers and sisters," He placed a rubber chicken on his back that had a red number two painted on it. "A party pony must always come prepared for any emergency."

Before Cheese could leave, however, Pinkie protested. "Wait, you're not leaving already, are you?! It feels like we just got to finally know each other. Do you really have to go back on the road so soon? At least you should stay the night, I'm sure I could find something suitable."

"It's nice of you to offer, Pinkie, but I'll be fine. I've been living on the road for as long as I can remember, so I've gotten used to it," Cheese Sandwich explained. "We'll still keep in touch, just forward all your letters to Boneless Two. And who knows, I might come back to Ponyville some day. It does seem like a nice little town, I can see why you've chosen to live here," With a tip of his hat he declared. "Until then, Miss. Pie," And he trotted off into the sunset as he talked to Boneless Two. "Well, Boneless Two, another job well done. But I reckon it's time we mosey along now. Another town, another party. another day."

Pinkie watched the poncho wearing stallion disappear into the sunset, a faint sigh escaping her lips as she commented. "Just who was that mysterious party pony?"

"Uh, Pinkie, he told you his name." Applejack corrected.

With a series of giggles Pinkie replied. "I know that, but it still feels like there's two sides to him. When he puts on that hat it's like he becomes a different pony all together." She was so busy talking to Applejack that she didn't notice Boneless give off a rainbow colored glow.