• Published 1st Feb 2020
  • 2,904 Views, 79 Comments

My Little Pony Friendship is Magic What If?: Volume 10 - SuperPinkBrony12



The tenth installment of What If series that involves the rewriting of episodes. This one involves rewrites of ten episodes from Seasons 1 and 2 and 4-8, and five from Season 9. (Warning!: Rewrites based on personal opinion. Please respect it!)

  • ...
4
 79
 2,904

S2 E19: Putting Your Hoof Down (What If?)

Inside Fluttershy's cottage, a bell was being rung by the pegasus to alert all her animal friends. "Lunch time!" She loudly called out. "Who's hungry?"

Animals big and small alike started to chitter as they rushed over, while Fluttershy poured food into their bowls. Many of them were so hungry and impatient that they didn't even wait until all the bowls were filled before they started eating their portion. It quickly devolved into chaos, with animals trying to get whatever they could.

Fluttershy tried to convince her animal friends to stop. "Now now, there's plenty for everypony. No need to rush. Slow down, sweeties. Save some for the others." She said with a giggle, but her pleas were ignored for the most part. Oh well, she had plenty of animal food for when the current amount ran out.

But there was one animal who had yet to be fed, and he was making this fact known in no uncertain terms. Fluttershy spun around and confronted Angel, her pet bunny. "What is it, Angel? I'll make your salad in a moment."

Angel just glared at Fluttershy, pointing to a picture of a rather lavish salad that was topped with whipped cream and a cherry as it was depicted in a cook book.

Fluttershy let out a gasp! "My goodness! Did I really forget that today is the day I promised to make your special salad exactly the way you want it?!"

Angel's response was to stomp a paw and glare at Fluttershy. His pegasus master sighed. "Oh, I'm so sorry, Angel. I forgot to pick up the supplies when I went shopping yesterday. I know I promised, but can't you take a rain check just this once? I can't go shopping on such short notice. Not on today of all days, the market place is sure to be busy."

The not so sweet little bunny only glared further at his pegasus master and gestured again to the picture of the special salad.

"Oh, you're right, Angel. A promise is a promise and I can't back out on it because I forgot," Fluttershy realized. "I suppose if I go now I can still pick up everything I need to make that salad exactly like it is in the book. That is, unless you're absolutely sure I can't tempt you with a nice, crisp piece of lettuce."

But Angel swatted the leaf of lettuce away and shoved the book into Fluttershy's face as if to hammer home the silent promise.

With a sigh, Fluttershy folded. "Fine, you win. But if I make it you have to promise to behave yourself." She told the bunny. In her mind she thought to herself. "I've really gotta learn not to let him walk all over me all the time. Ponies always say I give in too easily." She couldn't have known at the time that she was soon going to be given a way to do exactly what she'd always wanted. But the results were not going to be what she or anypony else would ever expect.

The pegasus' hunch turned out to be right, the market place was indeed busy. But she couldn't turn back now even if she wanted to. She'd promised Angel his special salad and a promise was a promise.

So reluctantly, Fluttershy looked over a list of the ingredients she would need in order to make the salad the way Angel wanted it. The first item on the list was asparagus. She trotted over to the stand, delighted to see that there were still several stalks available.

But she hadn't gotten far when all of a sudden a stallion seemed to cut right in front of her and without even noticing. "Excuse me, um, I think you just stepped in front of me?" Fluttershy blinked even as the stallion just went ahead and made a purchase. Fluttershy tailed him, forgetting momentarily about her place in line. "Sir, I think you made a mistake? You see I was actually here first and–"

"Oh, sorry, didn't notice you there. What with you being so quiet and all," The stallion apologized. "Try speaking up next time."

"I thought I did," Fluttershy muttered under her breath as she got back in line, only to be cut off by another stallion. "Oh, pardon me, sir." She tried to speak up.

But it seemed the stallion had a hard time hearing what Fluttershy was saying as he pressed a hoof to his ear. "Yes, what is it, ma'am?"

The timid pegasus tried to explain. "Um, I think you just cut in front of me, on purpose."

"What? A cut of celery?" The elderly stallion replied. "No, this is the asparagus stand! I'm sorry, could you repeat that? My hearing ain't what it used to be." And he pulled out a trumpet small enough to fit around his ear.

Fluttershy spoke into said trumpet. "I think you just cut in front of me."

But the elderly stallion just laughed. "Nonsense, I'm already in front. My hearing may not be so good but my eyes are still as sharp as ever. I know I didn't see you, the line was empty."

Deciding it best not to argue, Fluttershy sighed and trotted towards the stand. Unfortunately, it seemed that two earth ponies wearing lavish outfits and wigs decided now would be the perfect time to step in front of Fluttershy and cut her off. "Hey!" Fluttershy tried to shout, though it didn't sound like one.

One of the earth ponies just rudely replied. "Um, would you mind moving back? You're in my personal space."

"But-" Flutttershy began to protest.

The other earth pony just rolled her eyes. "Seriously, do you need your asparagus so badly? Get a life or something."

The pegasus reluctantly obeyed, again deciding it best not to escalate. "O-oh, okay. I mean, there's no rush."

However, as Fluttershy was retreating two of her friends happened to witness the display. Rarity and Pinkie Pie had been watching, and the looks they exchanged with each other conveyed more than words how not amused they were by their pegasus friend's refusal to stand up for herself.

Rarity was the first to make this concern know. "Fluttershy, you really mustn't let them treat you in such a way. You're just as much a pony as they are. Are you really gonna let them walk all over you?"

"Well, no, but it's-it's really no big deal," Fluttershy tried to protest. "I don't usually go shopping on days like this anyway. And this is why."

Pinkie Pie just frowned. "What are you talking about? It doesn't matter what day it is or when you do what you do. It's bigger than big, Fluttershy! It's double big. You are a pony with a problem."

Fluttershy blinked. "What kind of problem?" Seconds after she asked she felt Pinkie Pie zip past her and stand in a line. "Oh, go right ahead, Pinkie Pie. You first."

Pinkie just frowned again. "See? Right there, that's your problem! You always let everypony do whatever they want."

Rarity added. "Pinkie Pie's right, Fluttershy. You know it's bad if even she can see it. And if our other friends were here right now I'm sure they'd agree too. You've really got to stop being such a doormat."

"A doormat?" The timid pegasus blinked anew.

"A pushover, darling," Rarity explained. "You simply must learn to stand up for yourself every once in a while. It's for your own good. Don't tell me you've gone through your whole life letting others tell you what to do."

Fluttershy fought back a gulp. "W-well no, not always. But..." She trailed off as her lips seemed to tremble.

Rarity just shook her head. "But nothing, Fluttershy. Promise us that you'll at least make more of an effort to stand up for yourself. Promise us."

Fluttershy stood up. "Okay, I promise," Then she rushed back to the asparagus stand, relieved to see that there was still one stalk left. "Oh! Good!" She declared and got ready to plop down a bit to pay for it. Unfortunately, somepony else did it before she could, and the pegasus sighed in defeat. "Oh, nevermind. Easy come, easy go."

Rarity had to resist the urge to put a hoof to her face. "Darling, what did we just get through discussing? It's not that hard to be assertive," With a sigh the fashionista declared. "Here, I'll show you," She approached the lanky, glasses wearing stallion who had just purchased the last asparagus stalk and cleared her throat. "Hold it right there, Mister small, lean and handsome."

"The name's Gizmo," The stallion replied as his bowtie fluttered a bit. "And you think I'm handsome?"

"Why of course. Has nopony ever complimented you like that before?" Rarity commented while laying on the charm.

Gizmo shook his head. "That'd be a big no. Most ponies just look at me and think I'm weird."

Rarity laughed as she flicked her mane. "Weird? You? Don't be absurd, you're not weird at all. I'd say anypony would be jealous to be as strong as you. Go on, flex those muscles," She watched as Gizmo did exactly that. "Oh, my heavens! You're quite strong!" She then proposed. "So, do you think a strong, handsome stallion such as yourself could give my friend the last asparagus? You don't really need it more than she does, do you?"

"I suppose not. Sorry for the trouble," Gizmo apologized as he let Rarity take the asparagus. "Sometimes I buy stuff I don't actually need, it's a bad habit I'm trying to kick. Thanks for the help."

"Don't mention it, darling," Rarity replied and gave the asparagus to Fluttershy. "See? It's that easy."

"For you, maybe. I don't have your charms." Fluttershy lamented.

Rarity just winked. "You mustn't sell yourself so short, Fluttershy. Don't forget, you were once a model for Photo Finish of all ponies," Then she changed the subject. "Now then, what else is on your list today?"

Fluttershy pulled the list, checking off the asparagus and moving down to the next item. "Tomatoes." She told her friends. And as luck would have it there was a tomato stand nearby. So the pegasus trotted over, plopped a bit down onto the counter, and scooped the tomatoes into a bag.

But as the pegasus was trotting away the tomato merchant cleared her throat. "Sorry, miss, prices are goin' up. That'll be two bits."

The timid pegasus spun around. "What? But last week it was one bit."

The merchant just narrowed her eyes. "That was then and this is now. So, you gonna pay up or should I just take back those tomatoes?"

Fluttershy fought back a gulp as she deposited another bit onto the encounter. "Oh, okay. I don't wanna argue about it."

Pinkie Pie wasn't about to let this price gouging go unaccounted for, however. She zipped over to the stand and glared at the tomato merchant! "What do you think you're doing, driving up the price on my friend like that?! If it was one bit yesterday then it's one bit today!"

"Sorry, yesterday isn't today. So it's two bits," The tomato merchant growled. "I'm mindin' my own business, why don't you try it sometime?"

"I know your game, you do this all the time," Pinkie protested. "Two bits for tomatoes is outrageous. One bit is the right price."

"Well I say it's two bits!" The merchant snapped back.

Pinkie pulled a bit back. "And I say it's one bit."

"No, it's two bits." The merchant insisted.

A back and forth argument ensued between Pinkie and the merchant as they kept insisting on one bit or two bits respectively. Eventually, however, Pinkie seemed to make another offer. "Two bits!"

The merchant countered. "One bit!" Apparently she didn't realize what Pinkie had just done.

Pinkie, for her part, just pushed two bits to the counter and shouted! "I insist it's two bits and nothing less!"

"One bit and that's my final offer!" The merchant roared.

With a grin, the pink party pony took the extra bit back. "Well, have it your way then, one bit it is." And she giggled.

Fluttershy was amazed! "Wow! I didn't know you could do that!"

Pinkie just waved a hoof. "Oh, that's nothing. Just goes to show that asserting yourself is not only easy, it's also fun!"

"So, Fluttershy, do you feel like giving it a try with the next item?" Rarity suggested.

Fluttershy nodded. "I guess so."


As it turned out the next item on the list was a cherry, and there was currently one on sale! Fluttershy zoomed over to it as she said to herself! "I need that cherry!"

The merchant behind the counter just grinned. "Oh, is that so?"

Apparently not cluing into the hint, Fluttershy just replied while pulling out her list. "Yes. You see, I'm making this special meal for my bunny Angel. He's a very picky eater, and the recipe calls for a cherry on top. I promised him I'd make it for him and I kind of forgot until now," She plopped down a few bits. "So, here you go. That should be enough."

But the merchant just commented as his grin grew wider. "Oh, so you need this cherry, huh? Do you really need this cherry?"

"Yes! I'm desperate for it!" Fluttershy declared!

"Ha, well in that case it's ten bits!" The merchant insisted. "Now pay up!"

Fluttershy blinked in shock! "Ten bits?! But..." It took her a moment to look across to her friends and remember what she had promised them. She would have to be assertive. So she cleared her throat, trying to look directly at the merchant as she first tried Rarity's approach. "Oh, hey, mister handsome, I know you wanna do the right thing because you're handsome and strong. Uh, did I mention how big and handsome you are? And uh... big, handsome, strong guys are always nice to everypony, right?"

The merchant wasn't moved for a second. "Nice try. It's ten bits. Stop wasting my time, either pay me or get out of my sight!"

Fluttershy dug in her heels, deciding to try Pinkie Pie's approach. "Ten bits for one cherry's outrageous! I insist on paying you... eleven bits!"

Pinkie Pie and Rarity were rendered speechless at the bad attempt! It only got worse as Fluttershy ended up dropping her price to nine bits, only to then raise it back up to twelve bits. Naturally, they intervened and dragged Fluttershy away before she could make the purchase.

"Don't give him your money! One cherry is not worth twelve bits!" Pinkie Pie protested.

The pegasus whimpered. "But I was only trying to do what you girls did. You made it look so easy."

"Well you made one fatal mistake I'm afraid," Rarity unhappily sighed. "You're never supposed to let the pony you're trying to bargain with know how much you need something. You always want them to think you can get it somewhere else, even if you really can't. If they know you can only get it from them they can do whatever they like and you'll be powerless. I'm sure we can find another stand that has a cherry or two. Just refuse to do business with this stallion and walk away."

"But I promised Angel to make that special salad just the way he wanted!" Fluttershy protested. "As his owner I can't betray that promise. It's not his fault I didn't remember it when I went shopping yesterday. I'm sorry, but I need that cherry no matter what it costs!"

"No you don't!" Rarity argued back. "He'll drive up the price so high you won't be able to afford it. Just let it go."

Just then, a unicorn happened to come strolling by and told the merchant. "Hey, I'll give you five bits for that cherry."

The merchant smiled and accepted the offer. "Sold!" Then he looked at Fluttershy as he told her. "Tough break, kid. Next time, don't be such a doormat."


"Come on, Fluttershy. Let's go see Applejack, she should know where we can find another cherry seller," Pinkie Pie suggested to her pegasus friend. "Why are you so bad at being assertive? Didn't Rainbow Dash tell you to be like that for the Best Young Flyers Competition?"

Fluttershy nodded very slowly. "I tried, but it seemed like all that did was make things worse. It seems like every time I want to be assertive it just never works."

"Sounds to me like you're afraid of being assertive," Rarity commented. "Like there's something inside you that keeps stopping you. But you weren't always like this, right?"

"Not really, but after a while it was always Rainbow Dash who did the talking for me," Fluttershy explained. "She was always the more confident one, especially when it came to flying or anything related to it. It just felt nice to have someone who got everypony's attention, so they wouldn't pay any attention to me. I guess I got too used to not being in the spotlight."

Rarity pondered. "Why I do feel like that's not that the whole truth? It's something more, isn't it?"

"It is," Fluttershy unhappily commented. "But I... don't like talking about it. Besides, it doesn't change the fact that trying to be assertive like you girls were didn't work out for me. You make it look so easy. I just wish I could find a way that works for me."

At that moment, Pinkie Pie happened to mention. "Well, how about this?" She presented a flyer to her pegasus friend that read: "The incredible Iron Will turns doormats into dynamos. Assertiveness seminar today, hedge maze centre".

"So?" Fluttershy questioned.

"Maybe this Iron Will is just what you need. Maybe he can teach you how to be assertive in a way that works for you." Pinkie Pie explained.

Rarity blinked. "Wherever did you find such a thing, Pinkie?"

"In the mailbox at Sugarcube Corner, it was inside there when I checked it this morning," Pinkie explained. "I thought I'd hang onto it and take it to Fluttershy later on, but now works fine too."

The fashionista couldn't help but put a hoof to her chin. "How interesting. I seem to recall noticing a similar flyer in my mailbox at Carousel Boutique this same morning. He must be hoping to draw a crowd."

"I can't worry about that right now," Fluttershy protested to both of her friends. "I don't want Angel to starve! I'll just have to make the special salad as best I can without the cherry on top. Oh, I hope he won't mind."

But Angel did mind. When he realized his special salad wasn't exactly the way he liked it he threw a fit. Poor Fluttershy tried her best to calm him down, only for him to throw her right out the front door of her cottage.

By a stroke of luck, Fluttershy happened to spot a flyer just like the ones Pinkie Pie and Rarity had mentioned getting. Sure enough, it was a promotional flyer for Iron Will's Assertiveness Seminar. Now realizing just how badly her lack of a backbone was hurting her, something began to stir deep inside the pegasus. Almost as if someone or something had lit a fire in her heart. "That's it!" She stood up and boldly declared! "Celestia as my witness, I'm never gonna be a pushover again!"


The hedge maze that the seminar took place in turned out to be very recognizable to Fluttershy. It was the same hedge maze where she and her friends had taken part in Discord's "game" after he'd stolen the Elements of Harmony. "It's really too bad he was such a poor sport and played dirty. He really was like a child who never learned how to get along with others." She thought to herself, briefly wondering where that thought had come from.

The thought was dismissed as quickly as it had arrived, especially since Fluttershy found herself facing a new dilemma: The hedge maze was crowded and since a stage had been set up in the center of it there was not much room to go around. She tried to squeeze into a front row seat in between some ponies she thought she recognized. But with an angry shout of "Back of the line!" she was knocked all the way back to the farthest row possible.

Suddenly, loud music began to blare from speakers on the stage as a spotlight shown on the center of it. A moment later came an explosion of fireworks, and then there on the stage stood a minotaur. He had one of his goat assistants take off a robe he had been wearing, and ponies cheered loudly!

The minotaur spoke up as a small microphone carried his deep, booming voice through the entire hedge maze. "Welcome, friends! The name's Iron Will, and today is the first day of your new life as an assertive, confident creature! A creature who's not gonna let life walk all over them anymore! Now then, I wanna hear you all stomp if you're tired of being a pushover!" The crowd obeyed, stomping their hooves and cheering loudly. "Now stomp if you're tired of being a doormat!" The crowd stomped and cheered even louder. "And stomp if you wanna pay nothing for this here seminar!"

The stomping and cheering stopped as the crowd remained silent for a moment, some in it exchanging nervous glances or whispers before all burst into laughter (except for Fluttershy who didn't know what to think).

Iron Will just snorted a bit as he declared. "Who said you could laugh?! Iron Will didn't tell you to laugh!" Then he cleared his throat. "What Iron Will said earlier is no joke, friends, because Iron Will never jokes! You see, Iron Will is so confident that you will be absolutely, one hundred percent satisfied with Iron Will's assertiveness techniques, that if you are somehow not one hundred percent satisfied, then you. Pay. Nothing. Oh, but I pity the fool who doubts Iron Will's methods! I pity 'em!" Glaring at a random pony in the crowd he asked. "You don't doubt me, do you?"

The earth pony stuttered. "Uh-uh, no sir..." And everyone else in the crowd seemed nod and share in the sentiment.

Iron Will flashed a toothy smile. "'No sir' indeed. And that, my friends, is your first lesson: Don't be shy, look 'em in the eye. Make sure they can't pretend not to notice you," Then he added. "Now, to demonstrate that Iron Will's techniques will indeed work for anypony, Iron Will's gonna need a volunteer. Who's going to be the lucky pony?"

No one would volunteer, but that didn't stop Iron Will. His goat assistants had been scanning the crowd from the moment the seminar began, and it had come to their attention that there was a pony who looked particularly meek. Just the sort of example Iron Will needed. So they passed word along to the minotaur and he called out to Fluttershy. "You, in the back row!"

Fluttershy gulped as the crowd parted and all eyes suddenly fell upon her. "Who, me?"

"Yes, you!" Iron Will demanded. "Iron Will wants you onstage! Pronto!"

"O-okay." Fluttershy replied with a whisper and did as she was told. Immediately upon getting on the stage, Iron Will shoved one of his goat assistants directly in front of Fluttershy.

"Ooh! Look at that! He's blocking your path and he's not going away!" Iron Will narrated the scenario he'd set up. "So, what are you gonna do about it?"

The timid pegasus gulped. "Um, just politely walk around him?"

Iron Will shook his head. "No. Try again."

Forcing back another gulp, the pegasus answered. "Maybe gingerly tip-hoof around him?"

"No." Iron Will protested.

Trying to back away Fluttershy answered in a defeated tone. "Go back home and try again tomorrow?"

"No!" Iron Will roared at the top of his lungs! "When somepony tries to block, show them that you rock!" He roared so loudly and so forcibly that the goat assistant he'd pushed in front of Fluttershy fell over.

Fluttershy was immediately stricken with concern. "Oh my goodness! Sorry."

But Iron Will insisted. "Don't be sorry! Be assertive! Remember: Never apologize when you can criticize," Then he cleared his throat and shouted at the goat assistant. "Why don't you watch where you're going, fool?!" He proceeded to instruct Fluttershy. "Now, you try it. Do exactly as Iron Will taught you."

The timid pegasus tried, clearing her throat. "Uh... next time, get out of the way before... I bump into you, 'cause..." Suddenly, she felt a rush of confidence overtake her as she declared. "I definitely won't be sorry if I do! You understand?!" The goat nodded very slowly.

Fluttershy didn't have time to fully process the emotions surging through her as she felt herself be scooped up by Iron Will (he sensed that this pegasus was just the sort of pony who could help him market his seminars all across Equestria, making him a lot of money). "Now do you see, my friends?!" He told the crowd! "If Iron WIll's techniques can work even for this shy little pegasus, then they can work for you and for anypony! So when others ask you how you gained control of your life, make sure you tell them about Iron Will and his assertiveness seminars!"

The crowd burst into thunderous applause, which Iron Will basked in while Fluttershy tried to process her feelings. "Hm, so this is what it feels like to be assertive. It feels... kind of nice, actually." She thought to herself.


The next day, Fluttershy was giving herself a pep talk as she stared at her own reflection in a mirror. "Okay, I feel good. I feel ready to 'attack the day' as Iron Will says," She said to herself. "You've got this, Fluttershy."

Fluttershy trotted outside, and immediately encountered a problem. The gardener she had hired, an earth pony stallion named Mr. Greenhooves, was watering her petunias a bit too much. She immediately approached him and tapped him on the shoulder to try and inform him of this. "Excuse me, Mr. Greenhooves, but I-I think you might be over-watering my petunias," With a sigh she added. "Again."

But Mr. Greenhooves just laughed as he kept on watering. "Nonsense, just let the professional handle it. I know what I'm doing."

Fluttershy was about to leave, when suddenly she remembered Iron Will's teachings. She wasn't about to let herself be pushed around and told what to do. "Treat me like a pushover, and you'll get the once over." After making sure no one was around she put a hoof on the hose, causing water pressure to build up behind the blockage.

Mr. Greenhooves stopped when he noticed his hose had stopped working. He held it up for a closer inspection, which was when Fluttershy released her hoof and let the water flow back through the hose like normal. Mr. Greenhooves was hit by an unexpected shower, leaving him completely soaked. "Well, perhaps that is enough water. Sorry about that."

"Thank you," Fluttershy said with a smile and then trotted away while giggling to herself. "I can't believe that worked. That was so easy, and fun! Oh, I can't wait to tell all my friends. Won't they be surprised?" And that was just what she decided to do, right after she took care of some unresolved business from the day before.


On the way to the market place, Fluttershy found her path blocked by two carts full of trash. The ponies pulling the carts were a sea green colored unicorn and a cream colored earth pony. And the two seemed to be having a conversation.

"I tell you, Bon Bon," The unicorn commented to the earth pony. "Showpony business is tough."

Bon Bon said in reply to the unicorn. "Well go ahead, Lyra, try one of your jokes on me. I'll laugh at anything."

"Well yeah, because you're my best friend," Lyra told Bon Bon. "And how come you're talking so funny again?"

Bon Bon blinked in reply. "What are you talking about? I'm not talking funny, I'm fitting in," And she quickly changed the subject. "Go ahead, tell me the best joke you've got."

Lyra gave Bon Bon a glance before clearing her throat. "Okay, okay, okay. Here goes. So a donkey and a mule are stuck on a desert island..."

But Fluttershy interrupted. "Excuse me?! Do you mind moving?! Your carts are blocking my path!"

"Yeah, yeah, in a minute." Lyra rudely remarked.

Fluttershy snorted. "You're a unicorn, you can use magic. Move the carts."

Lyra shouted back. "And you're a pegasus, you could fly over us. Or better yet, go the other way. Now stop interrupting me! I'm just trying to tell a joke!" Then she went on talking to Bon Bon. "So the donkey says to the mule: Why don't we build ourselves a boat to get off this island?" And she giggled as Bon Bon did the same.

Unfortunately, Fluttershy had grown impatient. And she most certainly didn't like being told off by somepony else. She'd been about to turn around and leave, when she remembered Iron Will's lessons. "When somepony tries to block, show them that you rock!" So she not so secretly kicked the carts, making them tip over and dump their contents onto the ponies hauling them.

Lyra and Bon Bon gagged as Bon Bon grumbled. "Okay, okay, we get the message! We're moving, lady!"

Fluttershy just smiled as she watched the two trot off. "That's better. Now I think it's time some other ponies learned that there's a new Fluttershy in town, and she's not going to be so easily intimidated."


Compared to yesterday the market place was nowhere near as busy. But there were still several merchants who were out there, trying to sell their products to ponies.

The stallion running the cherry stand was most surprised when he happened to look up from the back of his stand and find himself face to face with a pegasus mare he could've sworn he'd seen before. "Uh, can I help you with something, miss?" He inquired in a seemingly innocent tone.

The pegasus mare growled. "Don't play dumb with me, you know who I am! Or do you not remember how you tried to swindle me out of my bits for a single cherry?!"

The cherry merchant blinked. Suddenly he remembered his last encounter with the pegasus now staring right at him. "Oh yes, it's all coming back to me. You're that doormat who needed a cherry for her pet bunny. Well if you need more cherries you've come to the right place. I've got all the cherries you need, provided you've got enough bits that is."

Fluttershy pressed her snout toward the merchant. "I don't want or need more cherries! I want you and everypony else in this rotten market place to know that I'm not going to keep doing business with greedy jerks like you. My bits will go to ponies I know will give me a fair price, instead of driving it up just to take advantage of helpless ponies."

The merchant just laughed. "You think your threats scare me, kid? You'll come back to me in due time, everypony always does."

Fluttershy shook her head. "I wouldn't be so sure if I were you. Just take a look around. Notice anything different about the market place today?"

The merchant obeyed, suspecting nothing. But as he looked all around he was surprised at how inexplicably empty it seemed to be. "Hey, where is everypony? It's like they all fled town or somethin'!"

The formerly timid pegasus mare replied. "That was me," And she explained in a low tone. "You merchant ponies are all the same. You like to talk a big game, but the moment ponies stop coming to you you're desperate to lure them back. And it turns out I'm not the only pony who's been unfairly cheated out of bits with your price gouging ways. It's amazing what a little word of mouth can do."

The cherry merchant gulped hard as he began to break out into a nervous sweat and tried to shrink away from Fluttershy. Fluttershy refused to let him do so. "Don't be shy, look 'em in the eye!" She shouted at the merchant! "You won't get away from me."

"P-please, kid, I don't want any trouble!" The merchant nervously whimpered. "Take whatever you want, just leave me alone!"

"Not until you tell all the other merchants around here that they need to stop taking advantage of their customers, or else." Fluttershy ended her sentence by ominously glaring at the stallion.

The stallion nodded his head very slowly. "A-alright, alright. I'll tell 'em!"

"And make sure you tell them who warned you! There's a new Fluttershy in town, and nopony better get in her way!" Fluttershy threatened. Then in a normal tone of voice she added. "You can do that, right?"

"Y-yes ma'am." The merchant whimpered again, watching as this "New Fluttershy" strolled away with a confident look in her eyes. She was not a pony to be trifled with.

Meanwhile, Fluttershy thought to herself. "Wait until my friends get a load of the new and improved Fluttershy. They're going to love her!"


So it was that the formerly timid pegasus decided to pay a visit to Sugarcube Corner, hoping to have a chance to show off her new, assertive self to her friends.

A line had already formed stretching all the way to the door as the familiar voice of Pinkie Pie called. "Who's next, please? And what can I get for you today?"

Fluttershy trotted forward, only to feel a hoof tap on her shoulder as a pale pink coated earth pony cut right in front of her! Unlike yesterday she wasn't going to take this insult lying down! "Excuse me!" She growled at the mare. "What do you think you're doing?! Didn't you see me?"

The mare shrugged off Fluttershy's angry remarks. "Uh, I don't know. Maybe I did and maybe I didn't."

"Oh, is that your answer? 'Maybe'?" Fluttershy replied as she locked eyes with the earth pony. "Maybes are for babies!" With a growl she added. "Now go to the back of the line where you belong! And don't ever cut in front of me again!"

The mare obeyed, and several ponies who were nearby did the same as they did not want to risk angering this new Fluttershy.

Fluttershy didn't mind, she strolled straight up to the front line with a smile upon her face. "Why did I ever doubt myself? Asserting myself is way easier than I thought it would be, I shouldn't have been holding back for so long." She thought to herself.

"Wow, Fluttershy!" Pinkie Pie exclaimed as she saw her friend approach. "I almost didn't recognize you with how confident and assertive you sounded! Though you really shouldn't be scaring the customers, the Cakes won't like it."

"Sorry, but someponies need to know not to mess with me. If I have to raise my voice at them, so be it." Fluttershy declared.

Rarity (who was nearby) commented. "Fluttershy? Is that really you? I must be dreaming."

"Oh no, your eyes don't deceive you, Rarity," Fluttershy told her fashion friend. "You're looking at the new and improved Fluttershy. Iron Will's assertiveness seminars really paid off!"

Rarity couldn't resist cracking a smile as she fondly exclaimed. "Oh, your attitude is so feisty, it's fabulous. Although I must agree with Pinkie Pie, there's no need to be so aggressive all the time."

"I don't mean to be, but sometimes you have to be loud in order to be heard," The pegasus confidently declared. "Iron Will is a true inspiration. His techniques really work. Take his seminars if you don't believe him: Satisfaction guaranteed or you pay nothing. And everypony is always satisfied."

The fashionista simply replied. "Well, I have no need for such seminars. But they've certainly made a difference in the way you carry yourself. You truly are a whole new Fluttershy."

Fluttershy nodded her head. "Glad you noticed. Because New Fluttershy feels pretty stoked about New Fluttershy."

"Well, Old Pinkie Pie feels really proud of New Fluttershy," Pinkie Pie said with a smile. "Proud as pink punch to be precise," She promptly pushed a bowl of the aforementioned beverage toward her friend. "Here, want some?" Then a snort escaped from her lips as she tried (and utterly failed) to prevent the giggles from slipping out.

But instead of laughing alongside her friend, Fluttershy declared in a low tone. "You laugh at me, I wrath at you!" She pushed the punch bowl off the counter, making it shatter on the ground.

Pinkie and Rarity blinked. They had not been expecting such a reaction.

Not appearing to notice the looks her friends were giving her, Fluttershy simply exited Sugarcube Corner as she called. "Bye, girls. Make sure to tell all our friends about New Fluttershy," Upon stepping outside she called for a taxi. And when another pony jumped into the seat of said taxi, she responded. "Cut in line, I'll take what's mine!" She lunged into the seat like a wild animal, and after a short struggle tossed the seat stealing pony out with the greatest of ease! "Listen up, ponies!" She shouted as she raised a fist! "Nopony pushes New Fluttershy around! NOPONY!" Then she sat down in the taxi seat as the taxi driver took off as fast as he could!

Pinkie and Rarity exchanged frightened and shocked glances, having witnessed the entire display. As Pinkie looked across to Rarity she nervously commented. "Old Pinkie Pie is not so sure New Fluttershy is such a good idea after all. Not if she's like this."

"Old Rarity agrees. We've gone from one extreme to the other." Rarity could only comment in reply.


The next day, Fluttershy was again giving herself a pep talk with the most confident (and evil if you were to ask anypony else) look on her face. "You got this, New Fluttershy. This day is yours and yours alone! And nopony's gonna take it away from you! Am I right?!" Her unusually loud voice frightened all the animals around her, but none more so than Angel who whimpered in fright and ran away like a scared child! Any desire he might have had to cause trouble had left him, now he too trembled before this new Fluttershy.

"Serves that troublemaker right! He's always been a thorn in my side!" Fluttershy thought to herself! "And if it wasn't for me he wouldn't last five minutes! The least he could do is be a little bit more grateful every now and then."

But Angel was the least of Fluttershy's concerns at the moment. The day was young and she was determined to seize every possible moment of it. There were still ponies she felt had wronged her in the past, and now she was going to get even. The first of them soon presented themselves to her when she checked her mail box. The usual mail delivery pony had been on a leave of absence for about a month now, and the relief pony had an unfortunate reputation for not only being late but also getting his deliveries mixed up. Today was one of those days. "Ugh! The mail pony's delivered the wrong mail, again!" She roared! "This will not stand!"

Fluttershy caught up with the pony a short time later. He was easy to spot due to his blue mail carrier outfit. "New Fluttershy does not want the wrong mail delivered to her cottage. Not anymore!" She told him.

The stallion stuttered a bit as he realized he'd forgotten to put on his reading glasses earlier. "O-oh dear," He realized as he dropped one of the mail sacks he'd been carrying. "Did I mix 'em up again? So sorry about that."

Fluttershy just replied. "You apologize, I penalize!" When the mail stallion tried to run away, she shoved him into the mail box and slapped a stamp on his rear end. She took the letter meant for her as she watched a mail wagon come along and take the stallion away.

Another stallion (this one a tourist wearing a camera around his neck) approached Fluttershy only seconds later. "Uh, excuse me, miss?" He questioned her. "Do you know how to get to the Ponyville clock tower?"

Fluttershy nodded even as she was holding the letter in her mouth. "Sure," She replied in a muffled tone of voice. "You just-" But speaking caused her letter to fall out of her mouth, and unfortunately it ended up in a puddle. The mare gasped and started to growl!

"Oh, that's too bad. Really." The tourist stallion commented in a sincere tone.

Fluttershy, however, just yelled at the stallion! "You make me lose, I blow my fuse! Get over here!" She promptly grabbed the stallion by his camera and flung him as hard as she could! By a strange stroke of luck she ended up tossing him into a pile of hay not far from the clock tower (which his camera struck, causing a bell to chime).

By coincidence, Rarity and Pinkie Pie had come upon the scene. It was now clear to them that their friend had changed for the worse, and it was time to give her a rather stern talking to if they hoped to correct the problem. "Fluttershy! Just what in the name of Celestia do you think you're doing?!" Rarity called out to her friend with a scowl. "That's no way to behave!"

Fluttershy scoffed. "So now you're taking your his side?! Didn't you see what he tried to do to New Fluttershy?! He thought New Fluttershy was a pushover like the Old Fluttershy!"

"He did not, we saw the whole thing," Rarity protested as she gestured a hoof to Pinkie Pie. "He just asked for directions. After yesterday, Pinkie Pie and I had a talk and we've come to the agreement that you're taking these assertiveness lessons a little too far. Applejack agrees as well, she told us what you did to the merchants at the market place before you showed up at Sugarcube Corner."

The pegasus just snapped! "What?! You traitors! New Fluttershy sees how it is! You just want New Fluttershy to become a doormat like Old Fluttershy! Fat chance!"

Pinkie Pie nervously retorted. "New Fluttershy? Old Fluttershy? What are you talking about? You're not making any sense!"

"Whatever happened to the nice Fluttershy we used to know?" Rarity asked. "We want that Fluttershy back."

"Wrong!" Fluttershy retorted as she narrowed her eyes. "What you really want is 'Pushover Fluttershy', 'Do whatever you want to her and she won't complain Fluttershy'! Because that's what the old Fluttershy was like!"

Pinkie put her hooves to her head as she groaned. "Oh, there's too many Fluttershys to keep track of! You're not making any sense anymore!"

"Aw, what's the matter?" Fluttershy taunted in a cruel tone. "Things getting too complicated for that simple little brain of yours, Pinkie?" She promptly gave her party planning friend a shove.

Rarity caught the party planner and immediately glared up at her friend. "That's quite enough of that, Fluttershy. We may have our differences but that's hardly a reason to start stooping to petty insults."

But the pegasus only turned her cruel wrath on Rarity instead. "Why not? Isn't petty what you're all about, Rarity? What with your petty concerns about fashion and all?"

Pinkie immediately stood up and stepped forward! "Hey, you leave her alone! Fashion is her passion!"

"Really? And what are you passionate about?" Fluttershy coldly retorted. "Birthday cake? Party hats?"

The pink party planner fought back a whimper. "You... you know there's more to them than that! You don't mean what you say!"

"Oh but New Fluttershy does!" Fluttershy shouted at the top of her lungs! "She can't believe that her so called 'friends' are trying to tell New Fluttershy how to live her life when they are throwing their own lives away on pointless pursuits that nopony, and I mean nopony else gives a flying feather about!"

Those words moreso than anything else Fluttershy could've said or done reduced both of her friends to tears. It was clear now that they couldn't get through to their assertive, jerkish friend. "Well, it looks like Nasty Fluttershy is here to stay." Pinkie declared with tears in her eyes.

Rarity nodded, her eyes also welling up with tears. "I can't believe what that monster has done to you!" Then she and Pinkie Pie ran away while crying.

Fluttershy only roared! "Iron's Will not a monster, he's a minotaur!"


But before Fluttershy could even think of going somewhere else, she found herself unexpectedly snout to snout with her fellow pegasus and childhood friend, Rainbow Dash. The very same Rainbow Dash who had once tried to encourage her shy friend to come out of her shell and be assertive.

"Fluttershy, I don't believe it! I can't believe it!" Rainbow Dash growled at her friend. "When I heard from Applejack that you'd become more assertive and were acting like this, I thought for sure she was mistaken. But I know what I just saw and heard. How can you say such things to our friends? They didn't do anything to you!"

Fluttershy just narrowed her eyes. "So now you're getting on New Fluttershy's case, Rainbow Dash?! She thought you of all ponies would support New Fluttershy. It was you who first told New Fluttershy to be more assertive."

"Not like this! Not by becoming exactly like the bullies you used to despise so much!" Rainbow protested. "You're acting just like Gilda was at the party Pinkie Pie threw for her. I'll be darned if I let another friend walk the wrong path in life!"

"As if you really care. You certainly didn't bother to lift a hoof to help New Fluttershy once while she was Old Fluttershy," Fluttershy snapped. "All you ever cared about was trying to be the best at everything, or napping! When the bullies switched their targets from you to Old Fluttershy you didn't care a bit."

Rainbow shook her head. "That's not true and you know it! You're being unreasonable, Fluttershy!" And she desperately pleaded. "It's great that you're standing up for yourself, but this is not the way to achieve it! I don't know what that Iron Will taught you, but you're going about it all wrong if this is what you think it means to be assertive! Picking on others doesn't make you assertive, it makes you a bully! You're no different than Gilda, and that's saying something."

But Fluttershy only retorted. "And where were you when Gilda was picking on Old Fluttershy, your oldest and dearest friend? You knew Old Fluttershy before you knew Gilda, but all you cared about was palling around with her. And now, just like everypony else, after you told Old Fluttershy to be assertive and she did, you decide you don't like New Fluttershy! Well too bad, because the Fluttershy you knew is long gone and she's never coming back, and nothing you say is gonna change New Fluttershy's mind. So back off, unless you want to end up with more than a bruised ego."

The brash speedster could only gasp as those words slowly sank in. "Fluttershy... I don't know how or why, but you've changed. You really are a New Fluttershy..." The next words were spoken not from a position of confidence but from one of personal feelings as she somberly declared. "I don't even recognize you anymore." She promptly flew away, though not without shedding a few tears.

Seeing this caused something to stir inside the formerly timid pegasus, a realization seemed to strike her all of a sudden! "Rainbow, wait!" She tried to call out, but it was all in vain. Dejected, she landed on the ground and gazed deep into her own reflection. What she saw only deepened her guilt. "I'm the monster." She said to herself. And so she did the only thing she could think to do after everything that had transpired. She trotted back up the path to her cottage, went inside and locked the door shut behind her. She vowed to herself then and there to never come out again.


Days passed without a word from Fluttershy and by now cooler heads had prevailed among her friends. They felt sorry for having let everything escalate the way it had, and they were growing concerned over not having seen her at all or hearing from her.

They approached her cottage one gloomy morning, only to discover that the entire cottage had been boarded up with no natural light allowed to poke through.

Their concern growing, Fluttershy's friends decided to knock. Rarity being the volunteer. "Fluttershy, are you in there? Please say something if you are."

But from the other side of the door Fluttershy called. "Go away! Leave now, before Nasty Fluttershy strikes again and says something she'll regret!"

"Fluttershy, all of us said things we regret. I think," Pinkie Pie commented. "But we're worried about you, and so are the rest of our friends. Even Twilight's growing worried, and if she's worrying you know it's bad."

Rarity put a hoof to Pinkie's mouth and shushed her. "Pinkie, I appreciate the sentiment but that isn't going to help. It's not necessary to involve more ponies than were involved in the original dispute."

But Fluttershy called back. "No, Pinkie Pie's right, I'm the only one who's to blame. I was the one who said all those hurtful things," What her friends didn't know is that she was currently inside her cottage, sitting in the dark while tied to a chair. "But don't worry, I'm never coming out of my house again. Everypony will be a lot safer with me and my mean mouth locked away for good."

"Fluttershy, that's not going to work and you know it," Rainbow Dash protested from the other side of the door. "Yelling at each other wasn't the right way to solve things," Then she added. "I told the others about your bullying problems at flight school. About how you internalized it all."

"And because of that I became just like them," Fluttershy argued back. "You're not going to get me to change my mind. This is what's best for all of us. Please, you must understand that my way is the best way. It's the only way we can still be friends. Trust me, I'll be fine."

Rarity spoke up. "Fluttershy, sweetie, Pinkie Pie doesn't blame you, and neither do I for that matter. I'm not sure what exactly Iron Will taught you, but I highly doubt his lessons justify you turning into what you were. It seems to me like his methods might be questionable."

"Besides," Pinkie argued to her friend. "There are lots of other ways to assert yourself besides yelling at everypony."

"Yes!" Rarity nodded in agreement. "You can stand up for yourself without being unpleasant about it."

Fluttershy gulped as she looked at her reflection in a mirror. "I-I'm not sure I can. I'm already too far gone. Whenever I try to assert myself, I become a monster."

Rarity sighed and shook her head even though she knew Fluttershy couldn't see her. "Oh, sweetie, that's nonsense. You're not a monster."

"No, but he might be." Pinkie gestured a hoof and all eyes fell upon a sight they would rather not have seen in the current circumstance.

There stood Iron Will, perched atop his two goat assistants. He stepped down from them as he declared. "Greetings, ponies. Iron Will's the name and training ponies is my game." He flashed a toothy smile.

Rarity, Pinkie Pie, and Rainbow Dash were all speechless for a moment before Rarity found the courage to speak. "My, what a... darling catchphrase," She nervously complimented the minotaur. "What... er, brings you here, Mr. Iron Will?"

"Just Iron Will if you please," Iron Will declared as he cleared his throat. "And Iron Will is here because of your friend, Fluttershy. She absolutely loved Iron Will's assertiveness seminars. Word on the street is that she doesn't take no gruff from no one anymore! To Iron Will that's the sound of a satisfied client, which means Iron Will must collect his dues. After all, these assertiveness seminars aren't cheap, Iron Will needs the contributions of Iron Will's satisfied customers to stay in business. Surely you can relate." Then he walked away.

Rainbow whispered to the others. "Fluttershy's in no position to deal with this creep. We gotta find some way to send him away."

"Don't worry, I'm on it," Rarity insisted as she quickly rushed up to Iron Will to try and plead with him. "I'm sure a big, brave, powerful, and rich monster– I mean, minotaur like you doesn't need that money right away. You can afford to come back later. Like say, a few days? Maybe a week?"

Iron Will was not persuaded for a second. "Are you kidding? Fluttershy is overdo as it is. Iron Will already granted her one extension while Iron Will dealt with other clients, but Iron Will will grant no more extensions. Iron Will collects now." He tossed Rarity aside with little fanfare.

Rarity looked at Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash and shouted at them. "Don't just stand there, do something! And make it quick!"

Pinkie took Rarity's suggestion and rushed up to Iron Will, telling him. "Um, we're not even sure Fluttershy is home right now. Uh, she might be off frolicking with some woodland creatures or something. So uh, why don't you give us some time to track her down for ya? Don't you have something else you could do?"

The minotaur briefly pondered and then told Pinkie. "Well, Iron Will does have some grocery shopping to do. But Iron Will will come back this afternoon for Fluttershy."

"But that's only half a day!" Pinkie protested. "We need one full day at least."

Iron Will protested right back. "Iron Will will delay for half a day and no longer!"

Pinkie promptly began to argue with Iron Will, eventually tricking him into requesting a full day instead of half a day. "We need half a day and no more!" She shouted at him.

Iron Will roared in reply! "Well you'll get a full day and no less!" He had managed to grab Pinkie by the tail as he said this.

With a content smile on her face the pink party pony started trotting off in mid air. "Okie-dokie. See you tomorrow, then."

"Wait a minute..." Iron Will began, apparently realizing he'd been deceived. Before he could say anything about it though, he heard a sneeze. A sneeze that unmistakably belonged to Fluttershy, proving to him that she was home. "Well, sounds like a search won't be required after all. Which means Iron Will collects now."

"But... but we had an agreement! You were gonna come back tomorrow!" The pink party pony tried to protest as she stood in the minotaur's way.

Iron Will was not amused. "When somepony tries to block, show them that you rock!" He roared, tossing Pinkie over his shoulder and over the hillside! She landed in a mud puddle as one of the goat assistants starting chomping on her tail.

Rainbow Dash now flew forward, immediately pressing her snout up against Iron Will's! "Alright, mister, I didn't wanna have to do this but you leave me no choice!" And she told him. "Fluttershy's not in a mood for company, because of you. It was your seminar that made her turn into a heartless bully. You don't know just how assertive she became, she started acting like the whole world was out to get her. Like it was either push or be pushed. And that made her do all kinds of things that I know she wouldn't willingly do if you hadn't put the thought in her head!"

The minotaur only growled. "How is any of that Iron Will's fault? Did Iron Will specifically tell Fluttershy to attack others or say what she said to her friends?"

"W-well, you weren't around when she did them..." Rainbow stammered. "But if she hadn't gone to that seminar you hosted she never would've gotten the idea that being assertive meant being a jerk!"

"Iron Will is not a jerk! This is the first time Iron Will has ever received any such complaint about his teachings!" Iron Will roared! "Don't blame Iron Will for what your friend chose to do of her own free will! All Iron Will wants now is what Iron Will is rightfully entitled to because of his teachings. Now stand down, Iron Will will be delayed no longer! Iron Will does not wish to us more force than necessary."

Rainbow was about to protest, when she heard the sound of the cottage door unlocking. Out strolled Fluttershy, looking surprisingly calm and confident given the circumstances. "It's okay, Rainbow Dash. I can handle this on my own." Sh told her fellow pegasus.

Rainbow wanted to protest, but something in the way her friend's eyes looked convinced her that Fluttershy could in fact resolve this matter peacefully and without the help of others. So she reluctantly backed down.

Iron Will, for his part, just looked at Fluttershy and told her. "Your payment is overdue, Fluttershy! Don't forget that you were nothing but a doormat, and Iron Will turned you into a lean, mean, assertive machine! Now, pay Iron Will what you owe Iron Will!"

But Fluttershy looked the minotaur firmly in the eyes and calmly answered. "No, I won't."

The two goat assistants gave off panicked bleats as Iron Will stumbled back ever so briefly. "What did you just say to Iron Will?!"

"I said 'No.' Was I not clear? I've been told I need to speak up." Fluttershy answered, sounding surprisingly confident while at the same time not displaying a hint of the jerkish behavior she had displayed with previous assertive attempts.

The minotaur didn't seem to take kindly to Fluttershy's answer, as he started shaking the fence surrounding her cottage like it were the ropes in a wrestling ring. "What do you mean 'No.'?!" He roared and then ominously declared. "Ooh, I'd hate to be you right about now, Fluttershy! You've made Iron Will very angry, and no one likes to see Iron Will when he's angry! So listen and listen good! Iron Will is about to rain down a world of hurt unless Iron Will gets his money, pronto!"

Despite the momentary ringing in her ears, Fluttershy just trotted past Iron Will as she explained her answer. "As I recall, during the seminar I attended you promised one hundred percent satisfaction guaranteed, or else you pay nothing. Well, Iron Will, I'm sorry to tell you this but I'm not satisfied."

The goats belated again in stunned speechlessness! No client in the history of their boss' seminars had ever given this answer before.

"What do you mean you're not satisfied?!" Iron Will roared and snorted! "How could you possibly not be satisfied?! Everyone is always satisfied!"

"I guess I'm the first, then," The pegasus calmly replied. "Don't get me wrong, your methods were quite helpful. But I don't like what they made me do. I know that's not your fault, you didn't tell me to say or do the things I said and did. However, I do believe that your methods are simply not the kind of advice I needed to hear. My friends were right, there are other ways to stand up for yourself that don't involve being mean. Therefore, I'm not satisfied and I refuse to pay. Simple as that."

Iron Will blinked in surprise. "Oh... you are?" He promptly tried to offer. "Well, are you... sure you're not maybe just a little bit satisfied? B-because maybe... we could still cut a deal. I-I mean we're both reasonable creatures, aren't we?"

Fluttershy only shook her head. "I'm sorry, but no means no, Mr. Iron Will. Now please leave."

"Huh, 'No means no.' huh?" Iron Will blinked again. "That's a new one. Gonna have to remember that for Iron Will's next seminar. Perhaps it might be time for Iron Will to take another look at his methods, maybe what works for Iron Will doesn't necessarily work for everyone." He left with his goat assistants following behind him, the two of them taking notice that he wasn't riding on top of them like he usually did.


Fluttershy's friends were speechless for but a moment as the shock of what they had just witnessed slowly settled in! Rainbow Dash was the first to break the silence when the moment had ended! "Wow! That... was... amazing! If I didn't see and hear it myself I wouldn't have believed it!" She exclaimed with wide eyes.

"It's totally amazing, alright!" Pinkie exclaimed as she and Rarity happily threw their hooves around their formerly timid friend! "You managed to stand up to that mon... er minotaur!"

"And you didn't change at all as you did so!" Rarity proudly added! "You were the same old Fluttershy that we've always loved!"

"The one we missed! But now she's more assertive, which is a nice bonus!" Pinkie declared with a bright smile!

"Now you've definitely changed, Fluttershy," Rainbow happily commented to her fellow pegasus. "So it looks like that Iron Will was good for something. I just hope this change isn't temporary, because I could get used to a more assertive you."

Fluttershy nodded her head. "Don't worry, old Fluttershy's back for good. You can be sure of that," Then she looked at her friends as she apologized to all three of them. "I'm sorry I took the whole assertiveness thing too far. Friends?"

"Friends." Pinkie Pie, Rarity, and Rainbow Dash all declared together as they all joined with Fluttershy in laughing.

When the laughter faded, Rarity spoke up. "You know what, Fluttershy? I think this would make a pretty good lesson to write to Princess Celestia about. If Twilight were here right now, I have a feeling she'd agree."

"I probably should, this was a lesson that was long overdue!" Fluttershy boldly declared. "But first, I think a certain bunny needs to be taught a lesson. If he's going to act like a brat, he can expect no more favors from here on out!"

Still, Fluttershy found the time the next day to write a letter to Princess Celestia about what she had learned. And it went something like this:

Dear Princess Celestia,

Sometimes it can be hard for a shy pony like me to stand up for myself, and when I first tried it, I didn't like the pony that I became.

But I've now learned that standing up for yourself isn't the same as changing who you are. Now I know how to put my hoof down without being unpleasant or mean. Being assertive doesn't have to mean being a jerk. And neither does having a backbone give you a license to be cruel. Even if the world itself is cruel, being cruel right back won't change anything.

As for Angel Bunny, Fluttershy found that her patented glare known as "The Stare" worked wonders on him. Every time he would try to act up or have his way with his pegasus master, he would be intimidated into silence by the harsh, unforgiving glare of her eyes. He soon learned that he could no longer take charge the way he was used to, not he or anyone was going to push Fluttershy so easily ever again.

Author's Note:

Now we come to what many will probably say is the first episode on this list that deserves to be rewritten. One that many would argue has been long overdue for a rewrite since I haven't really seen anyone in the fandom give this episode anything close to a positive rating (the best I've seen was The Firey Joker in a collab with The Mysterious Mr. Enter, where he gave this episode a below average grade. Mr. Enter actually considered this the worst episode of the show when he was just a pony reviewer, though I have no idea if he still holds that view).

It's unclear how much of this episode's problems can be chalked up to the changing of the guard that occurred in the writing department (Charlotte Fullerton had recently lost her husband at the time and Merriweather Williams was brought in to help), but many cite Fluttershy chewing out Pinkie Pie and Rarity for their special talents to be a particularly low point for the episode and perhaps Season 2. I do think that the episode does a good enough job of showing that Fluttershy went too far, but I can also see why it rubs so many people the wrong way.

There's also the fact that we never see Fluttershy go after the ponies who had previously wronged her, Angel Bunny basically committing domestic abuse while not really facing consequences for it (they were going for comedic but the slap killed that intent), and for me the character of Iron Will being unfairly blamed and scapegoated when it wasn't his fault that Fluttershy lashed out. Yes, his methods were questionable, but he never told Fluttershy to be a bully. And not only was he well within his rights to demand payment for his services, but when told no he respected Fluttershy's wishes and went away without getting paid. Bringing him back as the antagonist for "Once Upon A Zeppelin" was a really cheap move in my opinion, but you can check out my rewrite of that if you want to know more.

At least one fanfic published shortly after this episode originally aired involved a sort of "What If?" scenario for Rainbow Dash, who I think would've been a strong addition in this episode considering what continuity we had at the time. The bullying bit was an inspiration from a more recent rewrite that caught my attention some months back, though I've already hypothesized that it makes sense for Fluttershy to lash out the way she does in the original episode given what we know about her past.

The bit about Twilight is referencing a somewhat popular headcanon about this episode, how some think it takes place before Twilight came to Ponyville despite Fluttershy having no real reason to write a friendship lesson to Princess Celestia otherwise.

Fall Weather Friends
The Last Roundup
Putting Your Hoof Down
Pinkie Pride
Inspiration Manifestation
Slice of Life
On Your Marks (Bonus Chapter)
Marks and Recreation
Surf and/Or Turf (Bonus Chapter)
Sounds of Silence (Bonus Chapter)
Sparkle's Seven
The Point of No Return
Sweet and Smoky
A Trivial Pursuit (Bonus Chapter)
Dragon Dropped