• Published 1st Feb 2020
  • 2,894 Views, 79 Comments

My Little Pony Friendship is Magic What If?: Volume 10 - SuperPinkBrony12



The tenth installment of What If series that involves the rewriting of episodes. This one involves rewrites of ten episodes from Seasons 1 and 2 and 4-8, and five from Season 9. (Warning!: Rewrites based on personal opinion. Please respect it!)

  • ...
4
 79
 2,894

S7 E22: Marks and Recreation (What If?)

Inside the clubhouse at Sweet Apple Acres, the Cutie Mark Crusaders were currently working one on one with a blank flank earth pony filly with a yellow coat, sap green eyes, and a mane and tail two shades of light pink with purple ribbons in them. The filly was currently painting away at an easel.

Apple Bloom trotted forward. "Okay! Let's see how your still life's comin' along, Kettle Corn!"

Kettle Corn stepped back, revealing that she had painted a red circle on the canvas. Sweetie Belle blinked. "Well, that certainly is... round."

Kettle Corn smiled. "I can make it rounder! Would you like me to make it rounder?" She offered.

"Er, no thanks, Kettle Corn," Apple Bloom nervously replied. "I'm afraid that's all the time we have today. We'll try somethin' else tomorrow."

Kettle Corn frowned. "Aw, but I like circle painting."

"Yeah, but trying the same thing over and over again can get boring!" Scootaloo shooed the filly out to the door. "And on the way to figuring out what it is that you're meant to do, you'll find a ton more stuff that you might like to do. That's what makes looking for your cutie mark so great. Right, Crusaders?"

Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle nodded as the door opened and Kettle Corn trotted away. Apple Bloom then looked at the long line of gathered colts and fillies and told them. "Sorry, everypony. We're closin' up shop for the day. We'll have to help you out tomorrow."

The colts and fillies all let out a chorus of whines. "Aw!" But they all went away just the same.

The clubhouse door was closed as the Crusaders pondered the dilemma they were now facing. "Business sure has been boomin' lately," Apple Bloom commented. "We owe Diamond Tiara a huge debt of thanks for her suggestion that we turn our club into a business."

"Yeah, but now it seems we can't really help everypony who wants our help," Scootaloo nervously pointed out. "Working with blank flanks one at a time takes forever. You saw how long it took us to work with Kettle Corn, a few more ponies like her and the line will stretch all the way to the horizon."

Apple Bloom began to ponder. "If only there was a way we could help a whole herd of them all at once."

Sweetie Belle smiled. "That would be perfect! We'd save time and they could help each other! It's a win win!"

"Yeah! It worked for us, so it'll totally work for them!" Scootaloo declared while buzzing her wings in excitement! "It'd have to be somewhere big enough to handle all those blank flanks, though, and any more that might wanna show up."

Sweetie added. "Somewhere outside, with tons of activities to try. Spread out over multiple days of course."

"Are you two thinkin' what I'm thinkin'?" The farm filly suggested to her fellow Crusaders.

All three shouted together! "Cutie Mark Day Camp!"

"Yeah, glad we agree," Apple Bloom smiled. "And I know just the place, Applejack used to go there with Rara when she was little."

"Camp Friendship!" Scootaloo shouted at the top of her lungs and then apologized. "Oh. Sorry. I thought we were all gonna yell that one too," Then she added. "But if we're going to do a camp, we're going to need a camp counselor. There's no way they'll just let us run the camp all on our own."

Sweetie Belle beamed. "Well, I think I know a pony who would be perfect for the role! A pony who used to tutor us and is still the hottest new princess in all of Equestria! I'll bet if we ask her she'll say yes."

"What a great idea!" Apple Bloom happily declared. "Gettin' Twilight on board will be a great publicity boost! What are we waitin' for? Let's go ask her!" The three fillies then rushed away to do just that. But none suspected that their planned Cutie Mark Day Camp was going to run into a rather unexpected development that would upend everything. And it was going to come from an unlikely pony.

The CMC all but burst down the front doors of Twilight's castle as they rushed inside to look for her! "Twilight?! Twilight?!" They called out, expecting to find her but suspecting nothing out of the ordinary when they couldn't.

The three fillies were quite surprised when Starlight Glimmer showed up in the main hallway of the castle instead. "Oh, hey girls," She greeted the Cutie Mark Crusaders. "You looking for Twilight?"

The Crusaders all nodded as Sweetie Belle explained. "We're going to host a Cutie Mark Day Camp at Camp Friendship, but we need somepony who can be the camp counselor. We were thinking of Twilight because she used to tutor us one on one during special sessions. She called it 'Twilight Time', but after we got our cutie marks she said there wasn't anything left for her to teach us."

"I guess that would explain where she got the idea to make me her student," Starlight commented in brief contemplation. "But couldn't you have just asked one of your big sisters or even somepony in your family to do it?"

"They're all too busy," Scootaloo protested with a shake of her head. "Besides, if Twilight's our camp counselor then everypony will want to come."

Starlight frowned. "Well, I'm sorry, she's currently in Canterlot working to finalize plans for the upcoming Festival of Friendship. I don't know when she'll be back."

Just then, who should come trotting out into the hallway but Diamond Tiara? "What's all this about a camp counselor?"

"We're plannin' on havin' a Cutie Mark Day Camp at Camp Friendship so we can work with a whole herd of blank flanks all at once, and so that they can help each other," Apple Bloom told the headgear wearing filly. "But we need a camp counselor if we're gonna rent out the camp space."

Diamond Tiara's eyes lit up as she exclaimed! "I always wanted to go to Camp Friendship when I was younger, but Mother said my application kept 'conveniently' getting lost in the mail! You three simply must host that day camp! I know you'll be great at it!"

"Well there's not going to be one if we can't find a trust worthy grown-up to watch all the kids. Nopony's going to trust us, even after all we've done." Scootaloo glumly remarked.

It was then that Diamond got an idea. "Well, how about Miss. Starlight here? She'd be fantastic!"

Starlight blushed. "Diamond, you know you don't have to call me Miss. Starlight. We've known each other long enough," Then she added. "Besides, working with you isn't the same as overseeing an entire group of colts and fillies."

Tiara only insisted as she threw herself onto Starlight's back left leg. "Please, Miss. Starlight? You've always been fantastic with me whenever Twilight's busy. I'm sure you'll do just as fine as a camp counselor. I'm sure Princess Twilight would say the same thing if she were here right now."

"Well..." The unicorn began, uncertain of how to respond.

"Please?" All three Crusaders pleaded at the same time as they adopted the best pleading, puppy dog eyes look they could muster up.

Try as she might Starlight simply couldn't resist such looks, so she sighed and folded. "A-alright, I guess if you want me that badly I can't say no," But she quickly cautioned to the Crusaders. "However, it's your camp, so you three need to help out too."

"Don't worry, Starlight, we will!" Apple Bloom declared. "Looks like Cutie Mark Day Camp is a go!"

"You can count Silver Spoon and I in too," Diamond announced. "We'll be more than happy to help you keep the camp running smoothly. Plus, in a way we'll finally get to go to Camp Friendship after all these years!"


So it was that later that day, with a camp counselor lined up and use of camp grounds authorized, the CMC set up a small stand in the middle of Ponyville to announce their plans and draw customers. They'd even made their own promotional flyers and balloons, which proudly bore their cutie marks (as it was the closest thing they had to a group symbol). "Attention, all blank flanks!" Apple Bloom called through a loud speaker.

"And blank flank affiliates!" Scootaloo announced. "The Cutie Mark Crusaders are pleased to announce our first ever Cutie Mark Day Camp! Come and discover what it is you're truly good at, with the help of Ponyville's cutie mark experts!"

Sweetie Belle added with a smile. "Bond with other blank flanks and find out what you're meant to do together! Better hurry, camp begins tomorrow! So sign up now if you have any interest!"

Various ponies came by the stand, having been drawn to it by the colorful displays and the announcing.

But one pony was trying to avoid it all, quite unsuccessfully as Scootaloo recognized the pony as a familiar pegasus colt and called out. "Hey, Rumble!"

Rumble flinched even as he tried to play it cool. "Oh, hey Crusaders. Um, sorry I can't stop but uh... I've gotta go meet my brother for... something. Something really important."

Rumble's apparent concern was ignored by the Crusaders as Apple Bloom approached him and hoofed him a flyer. "No problem. Just wanted to make sure you heard about our first annual Cutie Mark Day Camp. The first session's tomorrow and it's takin' place at Camp Friendship."

The little pegasus nervously replied. "Um thanks, but I don't think I can attend. I'm not from Ponyville."

"Doesn't mater where you're from," Sweetie insisted with a smile. "Camp Friendship is accessible for everypony. And there'll be plenty of other blank flanks, probably some pegasi if that's what you're worried about."

"It isn't, but thanks anyway." Rumble commented as he took the flyer and trotted away. When he was certain no one was looking he began to crumple up the flyer.

"Hey, what'cha got there, little brother?" Thunderlane asked as he came upon the scene.

Rumble nearly flinched in surprise! "What? Oh, nothing. Nothing you need to worry about, big brother," He tried to change the subject. "Come on, I've got a cool new dive I've been trying out and I want show it to you. You're gonna love it!" He zoomed away as fast as his little wings would let him. In his haste to leave the colt forgot all about the crumpled up flyer in his possession.

Thunderlane happened to notice this flyer as it lay upon the ground, and uncrumpled it. He could see that it was a very well crafted flyer that was advertising a day camp.

Scootaloo, meanwhile, was barking out to the crowd. "Come one, come all! Cutie Mark Day Camp is for blank flanks of all kinds! Just make sure you get a parent or guardian's permission!"

Upon hearing those words Thunderlane put a hoof to his chin. It seemed that an idea had come to him. "This little day camp might be just what the doctor ordered." He thought to himself.


The next day, hundreds of colts and fillies happily showed up at the old grounds that had once been Camp Friendship. The Cutie Mark Crusaders' logo was displayed on a flag that hung high overhead on a flagpole.

Apple Bloom was the first to greet the gathered crowd. "Welcome, cutie mark campers!"

"Who's excited to be here?" Sweetie Belle asked the foals.

All of them started shouting in delight all at once! "We are! We are!"

Sweetie beamed. "Well, we're excited too! We're glad so many of you showed up for this new experience we decided to host. And with Camp Counselor Starlight here to make sure everything is safe," She gestured a hoof to the aforementioned unicorn who just waved to the colts and fillies. "Here at Cutie Mark Day Camp, you'll be able to try all kinds of things in pursuit of your special talent!"

"Kayakin'!" Apple Bloom gestured to a set of kayaks out by the docks.

"Horseshoe-tossing!" Scootaloo chimed in as she pointed to a rack with several horseshoes nearby.

"And even circle painting, right?" Kettle Corn asked while showing off her skill with it.

Sweetie Belle commented. "Er, right, we'll... work that in at some point. We've also got archery, jam making, dancing, and a whole lot more planned for the next several days!"

Apple Bloom told the foals. "You can try 'em all! But the most important thing is that you'll all be tryin' them together."

"After all, it worked for us." Scootaloo smiled.

"Then I bet it'll work for these little guys too!" An unfamiliar and unexpected voice called out. All eyes suddenly turned to see Thunderlane in a Wonderbolts flight suit, with Rumble by his side. Many of the foals were amazed to see a Wonderbolt in their midst, especially the newest member of the team!

Rumble arched an eyebrow upward at his older brother. "Hey, wait a second. You set me up!"

Thunderlane grinned. "I did no such thing."

Rumble grumbled. "Come on, you won't get away with that! You said we were gonna go practice for the Wonderbolts Ponyville Extravaganza show, not come to camp."

"Well we're going to do both," Thunderlane insisted. "I'm going to Wonderbolt practice. You're going to cutie mark practice. It's not up for argument, Mom and Dad agree that you need to get out of the house and try more stuff. And it'll make practice much easier for me if I know you're somewhere safe."

The pegasus colt frowned. "I'm not three, I can take care of myself!"

"Sorry, Rumble, but this works out for the both of us. Please, just give it a chance," Thunderlane pleaded with his younger brother, before looking across to the Crusaders and Starlight. "I hope it's not too late to enroll my brother."

Starlight shook her head. "Of course not, Thunderlane. We're more than happy to have another camper join us." She smiled down at Rumble, who in turn looked like he'd rather be anywhere else.

Several foals crowded around the Wonderbolt, and a unicorn colt with a bluish-gray coat, blue eyes, and a green and yellow mane and tail (who was named Skeedaddle) exclaimed to Rumble! "I can't believe your own brother is a Wonderbolt, Rumble! You're so lucky!"

Scootaloo naturally couldn't help but brag. "Well, Rainbow Dash is practically my sister, and she's a Wonderbolt too!"

Diamond only ribbed Scootaloo in response (with Silver Spoon standing by her side). "Yes, yes, you've told us so many, many, many times already."

Silver Spoon added. "Face it, Scootaloo, your honorary big sister is old news. Thunderlane's the popular one now. But don't feel too bad, I'm sure Thunderlane's newbie status won't last forever."

Meanwhile, Pipsqueak was asking Thunderlane. "Do you know Spitfire, Mr. Thunderlane?"

Thunderlane nodded. "Yeah, she's my captain. And I know she'll be pretty upset with me if I'm late to practice, she'll probably blow a fuse. Sorry I can't stay as a chaperon, this day camp looks like fun," Then he patted his brother on the head as he told him in a reassuring tone. "Now you have a good time and try some stuff. Who knows what you'll be good at?" Before leaving though, he picked up a horseshoe and effortlessly tossed it so that it would land right on the pike.


"Well all right!" Apple Bloom proudly declared as she saw how so many campers were amazed by Thunderlane's skill. "I reckon we've found the first activity of the day – the horseshoe toss!"

As the foals all cheered Thunderlane announced. "Well, wish I could stay and play, but it's time to fly. Have fun, everypony!" Then he took the skies and soon he was out of sight.

Shortly after Thunderlane departed, Sweetie Belle tossed a horseshoe to Rumble and encouraged him. "Come on, Rumble! We need a volunteer!"

"Who better than the brother of a Wonderbolt to show 'em how it's done?" Apple Bloom encouraged. "Don't be shy."

Rumble picked up the horseshoe as several foals gathered around to watch, one whispered. "No way he's as good as his brother. You can't be better than a Wonderbolt."

Rumble didn't seem to bother to put much effort into his toss, his horseshoe landed nowhere close to the pike or the pit surrounding it. "Whoops," He flatly observed. "Oh no, it looks like I won't be getting my cutie mark in the horseshoe toss..."

Starlight Glimmer trotted over to Rumble and quickly told him. "Oh, don't feel bad. You did fine for a first attempt. Hardly anypony's an expert at something the first time they try it. And if it makes you feel any better, I'm not that good a horseshoe tosser either."

"Eh, I wasn't really worried." Rumble commented under his breath.

Scootaloo came over and told her fellow pegasus. "Good, glad to hear it! That's just the sort of can do attitude a Cutie Mark Camper needs to have! There's plenty of other things to try. I'm sure we'll find something you're good at before this camp is done."

Rumble just sighed. "I didn't even want to be here. But I guess I'll have to play along and humor them for today." He thought to himself.


A day's worth of camp activities following: Kayaking, archery, and even dancing. Everypony seemed to be having a great time, except for Rumble. It seemed like everything he tried he ended up doing very poorly in. Strangely enough he kept playing it off with unconcerned comments of "Whoops." and "Whoopsie." The Crusaders were too busy working with other blank flanks to take much notice, but Starlight and Diamond and Silver began to suspect that Rumble wasn't nearly as bad as he seemed to be (though they had no way to prove it).

The last activity for the day involved something the Crusaders had learned about only recently in school, but they had felt inspired to make it part of their day camp.

Skeedaddle explained it while counting something aloud: "The first and last lines, have five sy-lla-bles but the,
mid-ddle has sev-en. It's called a haiku."

"We learned about it in Miss. Cheerilee's class, and we felt it was too good not to include," Scootaloo explained. "It's actually easier than it looks."

But Rumble ended up scribbling on his paper so hard that he broke his writing quill. Just like with the other activities he'd failed to do good in, he replied in an unenthusiastic tone (albeit in an unintentional haiku): "Whoops. I've tried it all. Time to tell my brother this, camp isn't for me."

"Aw come on, Rumble," Scootaloo tried to reassure her fellow pegasus. "So you didn't get a cutie mark on the first day, so what? Isn't it fun just trying stuff for the heck of it?"

"Not really." Rumble weakly replied and then excused himself from the writing table.

Just after Rumble left there came a shimmer of light, and all eyes were drawn to Kettle Corn who gained a cutie mark: A writing quill and a piece of paper. It was clear to all what she'd gained it in, and the poem she delivered left no doubt: "Haiku cutie mark! And I never would have tried, without Skeedaddle."

The Crusaders clapped their hooves along with the crowd. "See? This is what Cutie Mark Day Camp is all about." Apple Bloom encouraged.

"Working together and helping each other discover your talents or new things you like to do." Sweetie Belle happily explained as the foals all cheered.

Kettle Corn then cleared her throat as she sheepishly asked. "But I can still come back, right? And maybe paint some circles? I like painting circles."

Scootaloo nodded her head. "Of course! Nopony has to drop out just because they got a cutie mark, you can stay for however long you want."

Starlight Glimmer then trotted up. "But that's enough for today, I'm afraid. This isn't an overnight thing," As the foals all unhappily sighed she told. "Come on, no sad faces. You can come back tomorrow and every day after that. There's lots more fun activities to try. Meet back here first thing tomorrow, alright?"

The foals all nodded and disappeared.

Diamond and Silver came trotting up a short time later. "You never cease to surprise me, Cutie Mark Crusaders," Diamond commented with a smile. "I can see now why Princess Twilight thinks there's something truly special about your cutie marks and the way you got them. You truly do seem to have a knack for knowing what ponies are meant to be doing with their lives."

"Guess we're just lucky," Apple Bloom commented. "Besides, as Gabby can attest we can't do the impossible. And you know what Miss. Cheerilee told us: Cutie marks appear when they appear, nopony can do anythin' to make them appear before their time."

"Still," Silver Spoon observed as she adjusted her glasses. "A cutie mark from one of the campers? And on the first day to boot? That's gotta be a good sign!"

Sweetie Belle nodded. "It sure seems that way. I never would've guessed we'd get a cutie mark so soon."

"Just goes to show how swell of an idea this day camp was," Apple Bloom chimed in. "Everypony's really enjoyed it so far."

Scootaloo sighed. "Everypony except Rumble. He didn't have much luck with anything. I know he wasn't showing it but I think it was really getting to him."

Sweetie remarked. "Trying to find out what you're meant to do in life can be frustrating. You remember how long it took us to get our cutie marks?"

Apple Bloom shuddered. "Oh, I remember the nightmares. Figuratively and literally. If it weren't for Princess Luna I don't think I would've ever gotten over them."

"Which means we can't let Rumble quit camp just because he didn't find something he's good at," Scootaloo firmly declared. "The Cutie Mark Crusaders never deem anypony to be a lost cause, and it's time he knew that!" Then she smiled. "And I have a pretty good idea where we can find him."


Scootaloo's hunch involved a practice field that the Wonderbolts had set up not far from Ponyville so that they could train close to where their next show was to take place. Several Wonderbolts were currently flying overhead in different formations, though Thunderlane was currently nowhere to be seen.

Sure enough, Rumble was there and was sitting up in the stands while watching the bolts fly past overhead. A faint sigh of longing escaped his lips, but the Crusaders were too far away to hear it.

"Hey, Rumble! You got a minute to talk?" Scootaloo called out, causing the colt to nearly jump in surprise.

"Oh, it's you girls," The little pegasus remarked, trying not to sound annoyed. "What did you wanna talk about?"

Scootaloo explained. "Look, we just wanted to apologize for not being able to find anything you liked to do today. We were working with a lot of blank flanks, and I mean a lot."

Rumble shrugged. "Oh, that's all? Well, thanks for the concern but I wasn't worried. I'm fine."

"You don't have to lie, we know you're not really fine," Apple Bloom insisted as she got up in Rumble's face. "It's frustratin', and we all know what it's like."

"I'm not frustrated! Stop getting on my case!" Rumble demanded! "I didn't even wanna go to your little day camp, my big brother forced me to go because he's annoying like that! I don't need him or anypony else trying to control my life!"

"Rumble, it's okay, you don't have to take it out on anypony else," Scootaloo pleaded. "Please, just calm down. Not getting a cutie mark isn't the end of the world even if it seems like it is. We're not gonna give up on you."

Sweetie Belle added. "We can help you get your cutie mark no matter how long it takes."

But Rumble snorted. "I don't want or need your help. I don't want to get my cutie mark!"

The Crusaders all flinched as Apple Bloom remarked. "I must have hay in my ears or somethin', 'cause I'm pretty sure I just heard Rumble say he-"

Rumble interrupted. "You heard right! I don't want my cutie mark! That's the whole reason I didn't want to go to your camp in the first place. Now please leave me alone!"

"But Rumble, are you nuts?!" Scootaloo questioned the colt. "Everypony gets a cutie mark eventually. Not wanting a cutie mark is like... like... like not wanting to breath or something like that."

"Why would you even not want a cutie mark? Don't you wanna know what it is you're good at?" Sweetie Belle inquired of the colt.

Rumble narrowed his eyes. "I already know what I wanna be and what I want to do with my life. I don't need a cutie mark to tell me that. In fact, I think cutie marks are silly! They force you into doing one thing for the rest of your life whether you want it or not, even if you'd rather do something else entirely!"

Apple Bloom rolled her eyes in response. "Now that's just crazy talk, Rumble. You know that's not how cutie marks work. Take the three of us for example," She gestured to each shield as she explained. "Sure, we all got them at the same time and dedicated our lives to helpin' others. But there's still lots we do that don't involve our cutie marks. Scootaloo rides her scooter or goes bungee jumpin' whenever she's not helpin' us out. And it wasn't too long ago that Sweetie Belle spent a day with her big sister with cutie marks only slightly bein' involved. Heck, I still like to make potions with Zecora sometimes."

"Really? And when was the last time you did that?" Rumble questioned.

Apple Bloom fought back a gulp. "Well, it's been a long time. Zecora is very cautious about what she lets me work with. I was one of her first friends after all."

Rumble wasn't convinced. "And in the meantime you've been doing exactly the thing you got your cutie mark in, the thing you're stuck doing for the rest of your life!" Then he sighed and took a deep breath. "Look, it's fine if you wanna spend your days helping other blank flanks figure out their purpose, but this is one blank flank who's just fine without your help. He already knows what his special talent is going to be, so why should he bother with stuff that's not going to get him his cutie mark? I'm not gonna be put in a box! So thanks, but I'm not going back to your camp. And you can tell my brother the same thing if he finds out."

When Rumble flew off after making such remarks, the Crusaders were left to ponder this unusual development. They weren't sure what exactly to make of Rumble's staunch opposition to cutie marks. "Wow, that was... unexpected," Scootaloo commented. "Have you ever heard of anything stranger than a pony who doesn't want a cutie mark? I sure haven't."

"It's like Granny always says:" Apple Bloom declared. "'Someponies have to find their own hay.'"

Scootaloo shot Apple Bloom a skeptical look. "Are you sure she didn't mean 'Find their own way.'?"

"Oh, yeah, that would make more sense." The farm filly realized.

Sweetie Belle just sighed. "Well, if Rumble really doesn't want a cutie mark then we can't force him. Let's just focus on the camp full of ponies who do want their cutie mark," And she added. "I'm sure somepony will talk some sense into Rumble eventually. Nopony can stay a blank flank forever even if they want to."

Unknown to Sweetie Belle or the other Crusaders, Rumble had overheard. And that gave him an idea. "A blank flank forever? That might not be such a bad idea." He thought to himself as he got an idea. A rather awful sounding one if you were to ask anyone else. But in his mind he was convinced it was the only way to make his point known and guarantee that cutie marks wouldn't bother him.


The next day dawned bright and early for the attendees at Cutie Mark Day Camp. And as luck would have it the first activity of the day was one that all the foals could do without the need of a grown-up to watch over them: Jam making. The Crusaders showed them what to do and everypony had a great time.

No one really wanted it to end, but the ringing of the bell meant it was time to move on to another activity even as several jam filled colts and fillies complained. "This is fun, and I didn't get my cutie mark yet," Pipsqueak complained. "What if I'm not good at anything else?"

"That's just crazy talk, it can take multiple sessions before you know if you're really good at something or not," Scootaloo explained. "Besides, you don't get your cutie mark just because you're good at something. If that was the case ponies would get their cutie marks so fast the tree of us would be out of work!"

Kettle Corn spoke up while splattering some jam. "Take me for example, Pipsqueak. I'm real good at painting circles, but I got my cutie mark in haikus."

Skeedaddle chimed in. "Which is what I like!" Then he looked at his flank and unhappily sighed. "But I'm still a blank flank."

"So, what," Pipsqueak blinked, trying to understand the concept. "You can't get a cutie mark in something you like? Is that it?"

Apple Bloom protested. "Now, we didn't say that."

But at that moment the cabin door swung open as Rumble declared! "You don't have to! You Crusaders like to think you know what everypony needs to be doing with their lives, don't you? But maybe you didn't stop to think that not everypony needs or even wants a cutie mark."

"Rumble, you came back?!" Scootaloo blinked. "But I thought you didn't want to come back."

The pegasus colt simply declared. "I came back because I wanted to offer your campers a chance to truly be free. The kind of freedom you can't get with cutie marks," He gestured to Kettle Corn as he told her. "Hope you like haikus and not circle painting, because that's what your life is going to be like from now on. You'll be way too busy writing haikus to do any circle painting."

Kettle Corn flinched as she looked down at her flank. "But... I like painting circles."

Apple Bloom stomped a hoof down. "Rumble, stop tryin' to scare our campers. You know that's not how cutie marks work."

"Can you really be so sure?" Rumble questioned the farm filly. "Or did you stop to think that maybe you don't know as much about cutie marks as you think you know?"

"Was I speakin' old ponish or somethin'?" Apple Bloom snorted at Rumble as several other campers started crowding around him. " I just said it wasn't!" But before she or the other Crusaders had a chance to react, Rumble began to burst into song and dance about how he viewed cutie marks.

Rumble's little performance drew just about everypony in the cabin, and they all followed after him as he appeared to be leading them away.

"Rumble, what do you think you're doing?" Diamond Tiara questioned the colt. "Those are campers for Cutie Mark Day Camp."

Silver Spoon added. "I don't get what your problem with cutie marks is, but you shouldn't be dragging others into it."

Rumble snorted. "I thought you two would understand, your cutie marks have forced you to uphold your family's legacies even when it brought you nothing but pain and sorrow. And not everypony's lucky enough to have friends who can bail them out," Then he declared. "These campers have finally seen the light, so now they're my campers and I'm starting a new camp!" He dug a line into the dirt with a hoof as he declared. "From now on, everypony on this side of the line is in Camp Blank Flanks Forever!"

"Blanks Flanks Forever!" The colts and fillies all cheered!

Scootaloo stuttered. "B-b-but you... you can't be a blank flank forever!" Her words caused all the foals to gasp quite audibly!

Rumble just shook his head. "You just don't get it, do you? I'm giving these campers a chance to live their lives free from the pressures of having to get a cutie mark. A place where they can appreciate their blank flankiness without being pressured to get a cutie mark!"

In vain, Scootaloo tried to plead. "Now hold on, everypony. Let's be reasonable about this."

But Rumble only loudly shouted and chanted! "Blank flanks forever!" And he led a chorus of similarly cheering colts and fillies away.

The Crusaders, along with Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon, could only watch in stunned silence.

"So, does anypony wanna tell me what the heck just happened there?" Diamond questioned. "Because I'm still trying to understand it."

"I don't know. I'm still trying to figure it out for myself." Sweetie Belle commented.

Scootaloo questioned. "What I wanna know is: Has everypony gone mad?!"

Apple Bloom could only gaze out towards the fleeing blank flanks as she glumly remarked. "In a word: yes."


The Crusaders glumly moped about in the empty cabin where the jam making had been taking place just a short time ago. Now, they and Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon were the only ones still in it.

At least that was until Starlight Glimmer happened to come trotting in. She blinked in surprise at how empty the cabin was. "Hey, where is everypony? Weren't you supposed to be making jam? I know I was busy with Thunderlane over whether Rumble could come back, but I thought things were under control," Looking around she asked. "Where is Rumble, anyway?"

"He's gone and started his own camp," Apple Bloom commented. "He showed up, started talkin' about how bad cutie marks were, and everypony started believin' him."

Starlight couldn't help but shudder. "That's what I used to think, until Twilight and her friends showed up and made my village see otherwise." She thought to herself, but instead of saying it out loud she asked. "So, what exactly are all the campers doing now?"

Scootaloo, who was looking out at the camp through a telescope, commented. "It looks like whatever they want whenever they want."

"It doesn't sound all that different from they were doing with us." Sweetie Belle commented in a puzzled tone.

"Really? Then what was the point of it all?" Silver Spoon questioned.

Scootaloo turned to the others. "The point is that Rumble is a mad pony who must be stopped!" She closed the telescope quite ominously.

Starlight protested. "Now now, there's no need for... whatever it is you're thinking of," She tried to caution. "I'm sure Rumble didn't really mean what he said earlier. Before anypony does anything they'll regret later, why not try to talk to him again? Remember, the key is to remain calm."

Sweetie Belle nodded. "Remain calm. We can do that."

But it wasn't long before Sweetie Belle and Rumble were getting into a shouting match with each other! "Cutie marks... make you... special!" Sweetie roared!

"By putting you in a special little box!" Rumble growled back!

"Special!" Sweetie shouted!

"Box!" Rumble shouted back!

Starlight quickly intervened to break up the fighting. "Okay, okay, that's quite enough," And she told Sweetie Belle. "I think you've 'remained calm' long enough."

But just then Sweetie Belle noticed something that she hadn't before, Kettle Corn had crudely painted over her cutie mark with yellow paint. It didn't really match her coat, but the intent behind it was still obvious. "Kettle Corn, you covered your cutie mark?! Why would you do such a thing?!"

Kettle Corn stepped forward and answered. "I'm blank flank again, keeping my options open. I'm more than haikus."

Diamond blinked. "But... you just haikued right then! We all heard you! Covering up your cutie mark won't make it disappear. Believe me, I tried."

But Rumble said to Kettle Corn. "Don't listen to them, they already have their cutie marks and they'll say anything to make you join them. But you're with us now, you're an open-ended question, Kettle Corn. That's something that those cutie marked ponies can never take away from you! Right, blank flanks?!"

"Blank flanks forever!" The crowd cheered, prompting Rumble to smile.

Scootaloo shut the telescope, making it click rather ominously.

Sensing that things were escalating rather quickly, Starlight looked at Rumble and told the colt. "Rumble, I'd like to talk to you. Alone if you wouldn't mind."

"What? Are you taking the side of the Cutie Mark Crusaders now?" Rumble questioned as he was picked up by Starlight's magic and carried away. "No fair using your magic! Put me down!"

Starlight obeyed once the two were indeed alone in a remote part of the camp grounds. "Rumble, I know what you're going through, I've been where you've been."

"No you haven't!" Rumble growled! "You don't know the kind of trouble cutie marks can bring! And I don't need you telling me what to do."

The mare insisted in as calm a tone as she could. "Actually, I do. You've probably heard rumors about my past, about how I used to be evil."

The pegasus colt shrugged his hooves. "Maybe I heard it once or twice, what does that matter? It's not true, is it? If you were really evil you'd have gone to jail or something. That's where Mom and Dad say all the bad ponies end up."

But with a slight gulp Starlight confessed. "Well, not always, though some might say that's where I should've ended up. The rumors you've heard are true: I once hated cutie marks as much as you do now. I even tried to run an entire village where everypony had to give up their cutie marks and serve me, though I still kept my cutie mark and merely 'pretended' to have gotten rid of it."

"So, what's your point?" Rumble questioned, only half heartedly paying attention.

Starlight paused, taking a deep breath. The truth about her past was still a delicate subject for her. "My point is: In the end it didn't work. Twilight and her friends came to my village, exposed my lies, and forced me to flee. The villagers all got their cutie marks back, and eventually I had to realize that I was blaming cutie marks for something I couldn't control. When my friend moved away I thought it was the end of the world, I closed myself off and couldn't make any more friends. I started looking for something to blame besides myself because I couldn't handle the fact that I was in a situation where I didn't have control," Looking Rumble in the eyes she told the colt. "I have a feeling it's the same thing with you."

"You think this is about control, don't you?" Rumble coldly retorted. "I have control of my life, I know what I want to be. Why do I need a cutie mark to tell me that?"

"Rumble, cutie marks don't control your life or make you have to give up control," Starlight protested while shaking her head. "A cutie mark is what you make of it. We aren't defined by our cutie marks, no matter what they may be. Surely you noticed it with Kettle Corn who got a haiku cutie mark, even though she likes circle painting way more."

"Yeah, and you saw how it forced her to haiku," Rumble growled. "And I'm not taking any chances! I don't need some mark on my flank limiting my destiny, keeping me from what I'm meant to do! Now let me go, I've wasted enough time talking to you when I've got a whole camp of blank flanks to manage."

Reluctantly, Starlight watched as the little colt trotted away. "Well that could've gone better," She unhappily thought to herself. "Between Rumble and Pharaynx, I think I'm starting to lose my touch when it comes to giving pep talks."


Rumble returned to Camp Blank Flanks Forever just in time to see Skeedaddle and Pipsqueak competing in a friendly game of horseshoes. Skeedaddle managed to get his horseshoe to land right on the pike.

"Wow, Skeedaddle! You're cracking great!" Pipsqueak exclaimed! "Just as good as Mr. Thunderlane!"

"Thanks," Skeedaddle replied before he gasped in horror! "Oh no! What if I get a cutie mark in it?!"

Rumble trotted up. "Then you'll be stuck doing it for the rest of your life!" And he shouted out! "Blank flanks, no more potential cutie mark activities!"

And all activity in the camp ceased at that very moment, all except for Kettle Corn who just went back to circle painting without a care in the world. She already had her cutie mark, so she had nothing to fear from getting another one.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the camp ground, the Cutie Mark Crusaders were sitting on the docks and wondering where it had all gone wrong. "So much for Cutie Mark Day Camp." Sweetie Belle glumly remarked.

"It was a swell idea! Everythin' was goin' great," Apple Bloom declared before she narrowed her eyes. "Until that pesky Rumble showed up. Seems like we can't talk any sense at all into him."

Just then there came a loud whooshing sound! The Crusaders looked up in time to see the Wonderbolts zooming overhead. And seeing the Wonderbolts gave Scootaloo an idea. "Well maybe we can't, but I bet I know somepony who can. Come on!"


Thunderlane was more than a little surprised to learn just what his little brother had been up in such a short amount of time when the Crusaders told him. "So, let me see if I got this straight. My little brother somehow up-ended your entire camp, and in less than a day? How in Equestria did he do that? I didn't think he had nearly that much potential."

"Well," Sweetie Belle began as she inhaled and then started rapidly explaining. "It all started when he couldn't toss a horseshoe or paddle a kayak or shoot an arrow or use a pencil, and we felt bad that he wasn't good at anything, but now we know that he doesn't want a cutie mark at all because he's afraid he'll get stuck doing something he doesn't like forever, you know?" She stopped only to gasp and catch her breath.

Thunderlane blinked, having somehow understood every last part of that sentence. "Actually, no I don't. I know my little brother better than anypony, and I know he's not bad at those activities. He used to love doing all those things with me when he was younger and before I became a Wonderbolt."

Apple Bloom blinked back. "Well that doesn't make even a lick of sense. Unless..." Suddenly it came to her! "He was bein' bad at stuff on purpose! I thought there was somethin' odd about the way he messed up on dancin'."

Thunderlane just sighed. "Oh, I was afraid of this. I should've seen this coming."

"Um, afraid of what, exactly?" Scootaloo asked him.

Thunderlane explained. "When I became a Wonderbolt it was quite a shock to the whole family, but Rumble especially. I think it's because he looks up to me so much. Ever since I became a Wonderbolt, Rumble's either watching me or trying to fly like me. He won't do anything else, no matter how hard I try to convince him. That's why I thought your camp was such a good idea for him. He's gonna have to grow up and get his cutie mark eventually, but he shouldn't live in fear of that. He should be willing to make the most of the time he's got now and try to find what he wants to do best."

"But if he really wants to be a Wonderbolt like you someday then what's the problem with that?" Scootaloo questioned. "I kind of wanna become a Wonderbolt too someday."

Thunderlane shook his head. "There's nothing wrong with Rumble wanting to be a Wonderbolt eventually, if that's really what he wants to do with his life then that's fine. But right now he's not even giving anything else a chance," He sighed. "I tried to talk some sense into him by telling him that being a Wonderbolt takes more than just being a good flyer, and that it's not always a full time job. I even told him that the only way he can join the team right now is if he's willing to be the mascot, and we don't even have a mascot. But he just doesn't wanna listen."

"Yeah, even Starlight couldn't talk sense into him. She tried." Sweetie Belle commented.

Apple Bloom grinned. "That's because we've been goin' about this all wrong. What Rumble has isn't a cutie mark problem. He's not afraid of bein' put in a box or growin' up. He thinks he already knows what he wants his destiny to be. He's just worried he'll get a cutie mark that'll keep him from it. It's too bad we can't invite Troubleshoes to talk to him, we were able to convince him not to give up on his dream because of his cutie mark. And I'll bet the same could work with Rumble."

Thunderlane simply smiled. "Well, I think I know of a way that'll help him understand. It's something I started doing once I joined the Wonderbolts, something I never would've imagined I'd ever end up doing." And he whispered his plan to the Crusaders.


Back at the camp grounds, all the blank flanked colts and fillies were finding it hard to just sit around and do nothing. Pipsqueak yawned. "Rumble, I don't know how to say this, but Camp Blank Flanks Forever is... well..."

"Boring!" Skeedaddle protested. "What's the point of having a camp to ourselves if we can't do anything?"

Rumble shook his head. "I know it's not very fun, but we can't risk doing things that'll get us our cutie marks. If we want to stay blank flanks forever then that's what we need to do. You all don't wanna get a cutie mark that'll force you into something you don't want, right?"

"No, but I wanna have some fun. That's why we all signed up for this camp," Skeedaddle complained as he fell out of a tree he'd been hanging upside down in (fortunately, not very far off the ground). "What if I get a cutie mark in being bored? Can you even get a cutie mark in being bored?"

"Don't know, mate," Pipsqueak yawned again. "But I do know that if this keeps up we're all going to die of boredom."

Just then, over the loudspeakers came the familiar voice of Starlight Glimmer! "Attention, blank flanks of Cutie Mark Day Camp! Please come to the docks for a special surprise!"

The foals all rushed to the specified location, only to stop short when they saw the line Rumble had drawn the day before. None dared to cross it.

Sweetie Belle smiled as she looked at the foals and announced. "The Cutie Mark Crusaders are pleased to announce today's special guest – Thunderlane!"

On cue the pegasus stallion swooped in, still clad in the blue flight suit of the Wonderbolts! "Hey, everypony, it's me!" H called before landing on the ground, prompting a chorus of oohs and ahhs from the crowd.

"Y'all know who you can thank for this!" Apple Bloom declared as she gestured to Starlight Glimmer. "She made all the arrangements, includin' gettin' Thunderlane away from the Wonderbolts for the day!"

Starlight then encouraged. "Now, everypony's who interested, gather 'round for a day of activities with a genuine Wonderbolt!"

The ranks soon broke as Skeedaddle looked to Rumble and said. "Sorry, Rumble. But cutie mark or not, I'm not missing out on this! It's not every day you get to hang out with an actual Wonderbolt!"

Rumble unhappily sighed as he watched the other blank flanks abandon him one by one for various activities with Thunderlane: Tug of war, horseshoe tossing, and even making a replica of Twilight's castle entirely out of popsicle sticks. Even Kettle Corn left, removing the paint that had been covering up her cutie mark. And she soon forgot all about haikuing and circle painting (at least for a little while).


The day flew by in the blink of an eye, and soon Starlight Glimmer announced. "Alrightly, campers. I know you're having fun but Thunderlane can't be here forever. So it's time for our last activity of the day."

"And we've saved the best for last!" Sweetie Belle said with a smile as she then gestured a hoof. "Behold: A Wonderbolt obstacle course! Just like the one they'll fly through in their upcoming show!" It consisted of a series of hoops and tunnels in a circular layout.

Scootaloo pointed out. "But since not everypony has wings or can fly, we set it on the ground. But you'll have so much fun you won't care. We'll even run the course with you!" And the foals all cheered.

It wasn't long before the entire camp was running through the obstacle course, and getting quite dirty in the process.

Rumble was about to join in, when he noticed Thunderlane working over a bubbling pot that had some kind of stew cooking in it. "Thunderlane, aren't you gonna run the course?"

Thunderlane shook his head. "The Crusaders have everything under control, and I think you owe them an apology. Miss. Starlight sure seems to think so."

"Believe it or not, Rumble, we arranged for Thunderlane's visit today specifically for your benefit," Starlight instructed. "He told me everything. About why you really don't wanna get a cutie mark."

Rumble gulped and swallowed hard. "But so's wrong about me wanting to be a Wonderbolt? It's what every pegasus dreams of being."

"Not every pegasus," Thunderlane protested. "I know lots of pegasi who haven't given any thought to joining the Wonderbolts even briefly. And I certainly didn't set out initially to audition for them. But after they heard about my incredible skills during the Equestria Games, they told me there was an opening and they wanted me to fill it. I think it helps that Rainbow Dash put in a good word for me, though I think she also wanted somepony lower on the totem pole to take all the attention away from her," Then he gestured to the pot. "I may be a Wonderbolt now, and my cutie mark may be about speed and control, but you know what I really like to do?" When his little brother shook his head he explained. "Cooking!"

Rumble blinked. "You? Cook? Since when?"

Thunderlane answered. "Since I became a Wonderbolt. It turns out we all have to take turns cooking the meals at HQ. I didn't want to at first, but now I love it! I just wish I'd tried it sooner. Maybe I'd become a professional chef instead of a Wonderbolt."

"You really think so? Even in spite of your cutie mark?" Rumble pondered.

Thunderlane nodded his head as he offered a spoon to his little brother. "Of course! There's more to me than just flying, and I bet there's more to you, too. Now come on, give it a try. Cutie mark or not, I'm sure you'll like it."

"And don't forget, the next time the Cutie Mark Crusaders come by you need to apologize to them." Starlight declared.


That opportunity wouldn't come for quite a while. The Crusaders were too busy running the obstacle course to take much notice of what Rumble was doing, especially since all the campers were enjoying the obstacle course too.

Kettle Corn even declared. "Obstacles are fun! Running free through mud and dirt, beats circle painting!"

Apple Bloom nodded. "That haiku just about sums it up. And I promise, tomorrow we can spend time doin' circle paintin'. You'll like that!"

"Yipee!" Kettle Corn cheered.

Just then, Sweetie Belle noticed Rumble with Thunderlane and Starlight and called out to him. "Hey, Rumble. Aren't you gonna do our Wonderbolt course?"

Rumble replied. "Nah, I'm busy cooking today. But if you leave it up I might try it tomorrow."

"So, you're gonna come back tomorrow, then?" Scootaloo asked him. "You're not worried about getting your cutie mark at all?"

The pegasus colt smiled. "Nah, I've finally come to realize that cutie marks are inevitable, but they don't have to define you. I was worried about the wrong thing. I'm sure I'll grow up to be a great flyer, seeing as it kind of runs in the family and what not. For now, it's time to see what else I'm good at it while I still have the time," Then he told the Crusaders. "Sorry about yesterday, I didn't want you to feel bad for doing what you like to do. You truly are every bit as great as they say you are."

"Hey, we're just glad to have you and the rest of our campers back," Scootaloo commented. "And whether you get your cutie mark during this camp or sometime down the road, you can always count on us to be there to help you figure it out if necessary."

Rumble nodded his head. "I'll take that advice to heart, Crusaders. And just wait 'til you see what Thunderlane helped me make. You're gonna love it!" And just like that, Cutie Mark Day Camp was back on and guaranteed to be better than ever.

Author's Note:

First and foremost, Diamond Tiara being at Twilight's castle and being tutored by Twilight and Starlight is something I've had set into motion since my rewrite of "Celestial Advice" (which I split into two parts). You can find it here.

Now onto the episode proper, the main problem many people have with it is how much of a jerk Rumble is and how much he gets on the CMC's case for no reason. They don't force him to attend or get a cutie mark, but he treats them like they're the worst ponies ever for doing what their special talent requires of them and what they like doing. And while he does realize he was wrong later on, he never really apologizes or is held accountable for his actions (it doesn't help that his voice was provided by Vincent Tong, which for me is just really distracting outside of the singing. There's a reason why boys in animation aren't usually voiced by men, they can't do the kind of voices that sound natural).

The second is that the Cutie Mark Crusaders don't make very convincing arguments against Rumble, the narrative basically has them admit defeat and let Rumble do whatever and believe whatever he wants. It feels like the episode wants us to side with them just because Rumble is obviously wrong, but it forgets that the protagonists need to have a convincing counter argument and the only example it uses is one that it ends up poking holes in.

And finally, while this is probably just a personal nitpick, I can't help but find it odd that the CMC get to run a day camp all on their own without any adult supervision until Thunderlane shows up. Considering Rumble was drawing parallels to Starlight Glimmer, I feel like this was a golden opportunity wasted by not having her in the episode. Her as a camp counselor here can even be interpreted as foreshadowing to her becoming a guidance counselor in Season 8 (it turned out to be a logical step forward for her character, but when it was first announced it seemed kind of jarring for her to get the role). I also felt that Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon deserved to be in this episode, even just a little.

Again, I wanna apologize for how I included the song but I feel like "Blank Flanks Forever" is something that is hard to describe, it works better in a visual medium.

Fall Weather Friends
The Last Roundup
Putting Your Hoof Down
Pinkie Pride
Inspiration Manifestation
Slice of Life
On Your Marks (Bonus Chapter)
Marks and Recreation
Surf and/Or Turf (Bonus Chapter)
Sounds of Silence (Bonus Chapter)
Sparkle's Seven
The Point of No Return
Sweet and Smoky
A Trivial Pursuit (Bonus Chapter)
Dragon Dropped