• Published 20th Dec 2019
  • 758 Views, 19 Comments

Beyond My Grave: Nightlight - AnnEldest



In part three of the series, Luna must help an old friend with supernatural powers of his own.

  • ...
2
 19
 758

A Furry Ending

Two Days laters

Discord and I roamed the night streets of Canterlot. I was personally trying to find a way to delay going back to the castle. If things weren’t already bad enough with Celestia, I know I just made it a million times worse. I didn’t even try to defend myself. I just stood there as she yelled at me. I had no good reason for my actions. I wanted to tell her but I couldn’t.

It was hard keeping quiet but it was better this way. For now at least. “Ready to deal with your sister?” Discord joked.

“No…” I sighed. “But I know that I must.”

“Good luck.”

“Thanks. I mean for everything. I know I don't show it but I am grateful for all that you've done for me the last few months. I know that I have troubles with letting people in and pushing them away I have no idea where I would be had you not came and helped me. You have been through so much and I never took the time to think about it unless it affected me. I was being selfish and I'm sorry. You truly are the best friend anypony can have.” I went up to him and gave him a small hug before pulling away.

Discord only stared at the ground. There was guilt in his eyes “Yeah well don’t thank me too much.”

I laughed. “It’s okay to be a softy sometimes, Dizzy.” I started making my way to the castle. It was going to be a very rough morning when Celestia got up.

“Luna.” I stopped and stared back at Discord. “I need to tell you something. Now I didn’t say anything before because first I needed to think about it before telling you then everything with Cadance happened and you said it could wait.”

“I recalled that,” I remembered.

“But it’s time you know the truth…”

I stared blankly at him. I wasn't for sure what's he was referring to. But by the change of his demeanor, it seemed that he had something he was holding onto it for a while now. I trotted close to him. “What?”

“You know when Shredder sends me into your nightmares when my evil clone took you?”

I scoffed. “How can I forget?”

“Well, Shredder was testing me.”

I tilted my head, confused. “Testing you for what?”

“To see who I would save,” he answered.

“What? I don’t understand.”

“It wasn’t a coincidence that you and I ending up at the cemetery that night,” Discord said with a sigh. “You see, there is this bond that we always had. It never makes sense but somehow we always just worked. There's always a connection between us ever since you were sent to help me with my nightmares. And when all of this started, I just felt like I needed to protect you at all costs. But it wasn't like it was something I had to do as a friend but I needed to do it as a desire. It was the same thing I had with Silver Blitz. but in the end of the day, I just saved you. I didn't want to choose…” He put his head down. He was trying not to cry. I grabbed his paw and he looked up at me.

“I never blamed you for that, Discord. And you shouldn’t either. You did the absolute best that you could. More than anyone could have done,” I tried comforting him.

“I think is that it was always going to be you. Shredder knew or at least he was trying to prove that. It's not a coincidence that when your power started so did mine.”

I thought about it for a moment. “I never realized that.”

“The test was to see how far I would go to save you and I did. Apparently, there's a deeper connection between Soul Dreamers and Psychics. There are similarities in which we both can see these things. The difference is my lies in my sleep when I physically go there and yours is when you're awake. I can’t see them from out here nor can I do anything to stop them. You can. But when I’m sleeping and go to their world, I can see them and interact with them but you can't go to them in your sleep,” Discord kept explaining.

“So what does this have to do with us?”

“When you saw the spirit that attacked Cadance, I dreamt about it. We already were connected before we knew it. Soul Dreamers are meant to protect the Psychic. They're like a little guardian or bodyguard to help them in this world.”

I nodded my head slowly as I was processing everything. “So what you're saying is that you are meant to protect me while I help the living and the dead here in this realm?”

“Yes and the test was to see if I meant to protect you,” Discord finished.

I put a hoof on my head as it all came together. “It does explain a lot. But why wait to tell me this?”

“There’s more...The thing is that a psychic can go on without a Soul Dreamer but a Soul Dreamer needs a psychic to protect. If they don't their powers get weaken and if it does-”

“Then you lose all connection to the Nethers. Which means you can't help me anymore or will be too weak to,” I finished for him. I almost sounded excited to hear this. Knowing everything he went through, he deserves to be free from this. It shocked me that he kept going on with it when he knew there was a way he could get away. “But you could get away and not have to deal with any of it anymore. You would be free from this life.”

“But not you…” He quietly said.

My eyes widened at the realization he was right. There was nothing that could be done for me. I was stuck with this. It all makes sense now. If he left, I would be alone to face it and no one could help me. I felt bad. it was like he was forced to keep going on because of me. I couldn't do that to him. Not again.

“Discord, I know you feel like you have to help me but you don't. You've done so much already. I understand if you're tired and you want to call it quits. I won't fault you for any of it.” I felt a lump in my throat. It hurt me to say it. I liked that I had Discord to help me when I needed it. But I didn't want to force him either.

Discord looked at me confused then started laughing. “You kidding me, Luna? My life has become far more interesting and exciting since it all started. Yeah, it's definitely not what I had in mind but I don't regret it. There's a whole world that needs help and seems that we're the only ones who can. It's kind of exciting when you think of it.”

“It’s also life-threatening,” I reminded him.

“True but I think we have gone down too far to back away.”

“Discord-”

“Luna, it’s going to be okay,” he assured me. “I want to help you and I want to see where this goes. I have a feeling that our story is only going to get bigger and I wish to not stop it all because I'm afraid. Besides, there are some things me and you can do with our new abilities. Soul Dreamers and Psychics have a few tricks that they can do with each other.” He leaned in closer to me. “If you are willing to let me in.”

I didn't know how to respond or react to any of it. I wanted to yell but cry at the same time. I didn't want to force people to help me but I do not want to face this alone. And I was so happy that there was someone who is willing to be there for me. now maybe it was my turn to return the favor and help others.

“Okay,” I simply said.

Discord was shocked but none the less smiled as he hugged me this time.

“Just don’t leave me,” I begged.

He pulled away and smiled brightly at me. “Never.”

“Good.”

“You’ll be okay now?”

For the first time in a while, I smiled with a confident answer. “Yeah, I think so.”

“Good,” he said. “So what will you do now?”

I glanced over to the castle. Morning would be coming in a few short hours. “I’m going to ask Shredder to help me with my powers.”

He looked confused at me. “I thought he did.”

“He taught me how to control me seeing them but there is so much more I can do,” I said as my hoof lit a blue orb, only lasting for a few seconds.

He nodded as he looked down at his paw. “So this is it then? We are really going to do this?”

“I thought we said this back at the Crystal Empire,” I pointed out.

Discord nodded. “Yes, we brought the idea up but we didn’t fully agree to it.”

I looked up at the moon and chuckled. “Well, are we now?”

Discord laughed. “We really are just filled with surprises, Lulu.”

“What can I say?” I laughed with him. “You changed me, Dizzy.”

“No, Lulu.” He put his paw on my cheek. “You changed me. You showed me that is it okay to care and to fight for the ones you care about.”

I never thought of it like that before. I always thought about all he has done for me, thinking I didn’t do much for him in return. But it felt nice to know that I helped him, even if it was just a little. It seemed that we helped each other in more ways than we thought.

I chuckled in defeat. “You sure about this?”

“I have always been sure. So what do you say?” He reached his paw out to me. “Panthers?”

I stared cautiously at his paw. It was more than just a simple handshake. It was a contract for a whole new life. Once I agreed, there would be no turning back, no thoughts or doubts. It was a commitment and one we both would have to stick to. Even if it wasn't by choice. I thought about everything that I've been through from the start. It was so much but yet it changed me for the better. It was made me into somepony stronger.

Yeah, it was causing corrals in my life but I also was helping others and there are so many more ponies and creatures out there like us that would need help. And just like I was as a child, they wouldn't have helped unless someone stepped in. It was time not to be afraid and to accept it. I knew I had thought about this before when Discord first brought the idea up but I wasn't sure if I was ready to make that jump. However, I knew now. I grabbed his paw and with determination, shook on it.

“Panthers.”

The End

Author's Note:

In other words, one chapter ends another begins. I have big plans for what will happen next and am so excited about it. Yes, this story took longer than excepted but I never thought of giving up on it. Which is a first. Hopefully, the way I plan the next part will make it easier for me.

Well, I hoped you all enjoyed this part, and thanks to all who stuck around and read it. You all rock. Still can't believe this is the third book I finished for this series. Never thought I would get this far. And this is just the beginning. I guess we'll have to see what is next for the gang here. As Always:

Till Next Time!!!:pinkiehappy::pinkiesad2::twilightsmile::ajsmug::pinkiehappy: