• Published 20th Dec 2019
  • 752 Views, 19 Comments

Beyond My Grave: Nightlight - AnnEldest



In part three of the series, Luna must help an old friend with supernatural powers of his own.

  • ...
2
 19
 752

A New Paw-sibility

Capper watched as a golden flash rushed past his face. The light of a thousand suns pierced through everything in its path. The golden cat skirted to a halt as he dug his claws into the ground.

Capper shifted his foot ever so slightly and moved some rubble in the process. He looked down to see the pebbles crumbling away from his hands. A second ago he was holding an old cracked stone sword, but now before his eyes was a large white and gold sword.

Its double blades cut through every piece of dust that dared to fly too close to it. The light that illuminated from the hilt seemed to chase away even the light from the surrounding fire. Even the smoke dared not to enter the domain of the sword. It was the most beautiful item that Capper had ever seen; it was probably worth more than everything in the casino combined.

The cat's eyes locked onto Capper as the sword's light continued to grow. He knew the truth at that moment. The cat before him was truly the wielder of the sword. He stood up and put his sword to rest on his back. He shot a glare into Capper's eyes. The cat's stance lightened as he eased his body. The truth was always odd and often unexpected.

Capper on the other knew nothing; he hardly could remember what had happened. He remembers the cat running at him and drawing his sword. Then he remembered reaching out for the stone sword and, in panic, he used it in a sad attempt to block the cat's strike. After that, the picture of his memory went blurry. He was standing there with the golden sword and the golden cat was flung back. After that, he could hear Shira calling his name as everything went black.

Capper screamed as he woke from his slumber. He sat up quickly only to hit a wooden beam along the way. He groaned as he curled up and rubbed his head to ease the pain.

He looked around to get a grasp on where he was. The room was dark, but he could still make out some notable features with the little bit of sunlight that forced its way in. The ceiling was old and crumbling with water dripping from it. The floor was old and creaked every time he shifted in the bed. The door was rotting and hung on only one of its hinges.

He sat up slowly to avoid repeating his earlier mistake. He got up out of the bed and stood up. He then noticed that he wasn't wearing any cloth. This perhaps was his biggest worry. The jacket he was wearing had cost him a fortune, and it was a large sign of his status.

He walked towards the door and opened it slowly. The outside was calm and peaceful. The sun was bright as it ruined over the beautiful afternoon. The birds were chirping and the breath flew in harmony with the grass.

Capper walked out to see Shira with a bow. She was wearing a breastplate that was similar to the other cat's armor. The bow was sky blue and when she pulled the string back it emitted a blue aura around it. She swiftly drew an arrow from a pack that rested on her back. She rested the arrow calmly against the bowstring and proceeded to aim. Capper looked ahead to see what her target was and far off into the distance, almost unseeable, rested a small circular target.

Shira, in one smooth transition, pulled the string back and let the arrow fly. The distance must have been nearly 100 feet, yet the arrow found its exact mark. Capper dropped his jaw; perhaps he didn't know who Shira was.

"I see I'm not the only one who was hiding a few tricks."

Shira turned around to see Capper approaching. "Oh, you're finally awake."

"Ya? How long was I out."

"I don't know," Shira sighed. "Like a day I guess."

"A day?" Capper gasped. He stopped in front of her and looked out towards the target. "What the hell happened."

"I think it was because you never used the word before," Shira said as she took out another arrow. "Pretty sure it was just…."

"Not that," Capper interrupted. "I meant what the hell happened back there. As in what was that thing, and who was that cat, and most of all who are you?" Capper crossed his arms. "I feel like we should reintroduce ourselves, don't you?"

Shira looked at him and then back at her target. Without saying a word to him she repeated her previous act. The arrow flew and once again it perfectly hit its target.

"I see you are incredible with a bow, Capper said in annoyance. "Anything else I should know?"

"Ya I'm pretty good with a bow," Shira said as she drew another arrow. "But that's because I have to be."

Capper could see that she was going to take a different approach than he wanted, so he decided to humor her.

"Why?"

"Because of that thing you saw the other night." Shira let the arrow find its mark.

"And what in Equestria was that thing?"

Shira bent down on her knees as the wind picked up. "Well, we've been trying to figure that out actually." She pulled the string back and adjusted her aim. "They've just recently appeared, kind of out of nowhere."

"We?" Capper asked as he crouched down with her.

"Ya us, the Guardians." Shira let the arrow find its mark through the harsh wind.

"The Guardians?"

"We're an elite group of highly skilled worries that have fought off demonic forces and evil creatures for centuries."

Capper stood straight up as he watched her shoot another arrow. "Umm, come again."

Shira chuckled at his expression. "Like I said I didn't want to just lay this down one you like this. I was hoping I could ease you into it."

"Well… it's just… I don't…"

"Relax Capper," Shira said as she put her bow down. "I get you really can't fully grasp what happened back there, but I assure you that I can do my best to explain."

"It's just I...umm…demons?" Capper started to pace and rub his head.

"Yes, you see Capper the world you live in is kept from an awful world that is hidden in plain sight. Creatures like me have kept spirits and ghosts from invading your world." Shira pulled out a bag that was hanging from her waist. "We don't worry about the good ones, we only fight the bad ones."

Shira through the dust onto the ground and stepped back. The dust cloud formed a circular rift right in front of them. The sounds of uncanny echoes and whispers poured from the portal.

"Go on Capper you'll find some of the answers you seek." Shira sat down on the grass and began to clean herself.

Capper stood staring at the portal. He didn't know what to think. He had seen magic and magical creatures before, but ghosts and demons were just bedtime stories he feared as a kitten. Of course, the creature that had tried to kill him was certainly worth taking notice. He hesitated to walk forward as he didn't know what would happen. He hardly knew Shira and he knew less about what she wanted from him

"Curiosity killed the cat" is what many creatures say as a warning not to do stupid things. Capper was not one of those creatures; he walked forward and reluctantly walked into the rift.




Capper was bent over gasping for air. He puked and coughed as his mind tried to grasp onto reality. He could hardly make out what he saw in the rift. Its True name was the Nether. The Nether was a world behind the one he lived in every day. The lost spirits that roamed and drifted through his world, were all unseen by most creatures.

The truth was still unsettling, yet the fact that spirits had been drifting through his world all that time was somehow even more unsettling. Many of the poor souls cried out in pain and anger. He saw how some of them even rained their anger on the living. Spirits had killed in the past and the present was no exception.

Capper stood up as he splashed water in his face. Shira handed him a rag for him to dry off with. He slowly drew the rag from his face as his mind continued to race onward. The questions in his head had been replaced by confusion and near disbelief. Of course, he didn't think it was all a joke or a cruel prank, clearly what happened at the casino was all too real. The dry blood on his head was all too real.

"So that's it then?" Capper said as he dropped the rag on the ground. "All of this is...re…real?"

"Afraid so pal," Shira said as she put her paw on his shoulder.

"All this time…how…co...could no one has known about the...th...them?" Capper tried to stop shaking.

"Well, it's kind of our job to stop your world from knowing. I mean we care more about protecting it, but not knowing is kind of a good side effect."

"So wh...why m...me? Why the...e he…hell…are you...show...ing...me...the...this?"

"Cause I need you, Capper, we need you."

"Wh...why?" He asked as he almost slipped onto the floor.

"Capper the sword you wielded back at the casino was that of a guardian's. Only a guardian can wield such a weapon."

Capper took a large gulp of water before he stared back at Shira. "You're s...say...saying...that I'm a guar...guardian."


"Well to put it out there bluntly, yes." Shira leaned up against the door.

"No, no no no no," Capper said as he slowly shook his head. He kept whispering "no" to himself. "That can't be true."

"Why not?" Shira asked as she crossed her arms.

"It ju...just can't be."

"Why n...?"

"Because of my past!" Capper threw up as he yelled. He rinsed his mouth and spit into the sink. "It's what I am, who I am, the things I have done. It just can't be true, ok. I don't even believe in any of this crap."

"Capper it doesn't matter what you believe, because they believe in you."

"Who, the "guardians"?"

"No, those things that you saw in the casino. They only live to kill, and there's nothing more they want to kill but guardians."

Capper stood there and slowly shook his head. The whole idea of what he was, was simply too absurd to be true. Shira had no idea of the past. To Capper, that past was proof of what he was, and it wasn't a guardian.

"Look, Capper, it doesn't matter about what you were or who you were. It doesn't matter about what I did in the past or what you did in the past. You've seen the truth with your own eyes and whether you accept that truth or not is irrelevant. The fact remains that a lot of creatures want that sword, and only you should have the right to wield it." Shira put her paws on Capper's shoulders. "If you choose not to expect it, they will still pursue you. They will hunt you down and kill you."

Capper looked up at Shira. "Who?"

"The thing at the casino. There will be many more of his kind after you, and pretty much everyone and anything else you care about."

"But why, what did I do?" Capper finally got himself to stop shaking.

"Because whether you like it or not, whether destiny planned it out or not, you might just be the only thing standing between those creatures and the rest of the living world.

Author's Note:

Hope you liked it.

Till Next Time!!!:pinkiehappy: