• Published 20th Dec 2019
  • 733 Views, 19 Comments

Beyond My Grave: Nightlight - AnnEldest



In part three of the series, Luna must help an old friend with supernatural powers of his own.

  • ...
2
 19
 733

One Claw-ver Cat

Shira woke in the morning in a stable. She breathed heavily as she tried to get her bearings. She looked around to see the beautiful nature scene that surrounded her. The trees provided a comfortable resting place for her. She smiled at the glorious sight laid before her. She had never heard such lovely songs from the birds, nor had she ever woke to such a peaceful breeze. The sun rose softly into the sky as the moon vanished. The morning horizon was truly a gift to witness.

She reached over and untied the rope that was holding up her stuff. She jumped down from the tree and looked around to see if she caused any kind of disturbance. The ground was still with only the sound of insects and birds chirping.

She had heard stories of the land of Equestria. It was said that it was a place full of mysterious wonders and powers. It was a rather peaceful place where predators were rarely known. Most of the animals lived in a peaceful balance. Magic flew through nature in a unique balance that bonded all living things. It was a place of mere myths.

Back home everything was dead; it was cold and desolate. The desert ocean laid waste to everything that didn't hide from it. To live was to be a predator, and to survive was to make everything else your prey. To see and to hear such a different world was unsettling to her.

She didn't know where she was, and she had no layout of the land. All she knew was that she had to find one creature in particular. She knew others would soon catch up to him if she didn't find him first.

She was in a large city that was heavily populated. Tall buildings lined the sky and towered over the small creatures below. She had never felt so little in her life. She was but a mere speck of dust compared the large metal "trees" and hovered over her head. She smiled a bit at the glorious city; the largest city she had ever seen.

Many stores lined the street and everyone one of them was filled to the roof with shoppers. A sign hanging off one of the stores read "best buys in all of Canterlot". She concluded that the sign must have been referring to the city. She was in Canterlot; the center of Equestria.

She walked along the street trying to figure out where she should start to look. She didn't know much about the creature she was trying to find. She only knew that he was somewhere in Equestria, but she realized that it was a much bigger place than she had anticipated. She needed some kind of database or locating device if she was going to have any kind of luck locating him. A guide seemed like a likely choice, however, it would be hard for her to ask anyone without knowing who she could trust.

She continued to think of a way as she walked down the street. The sweet smell of delicious food filled her nose. She froze in her tracks as she admired the divine aroma. Her stomach rumbled as it clawed for food. It had been several days since she had eaten anything. She had barely kept herself hydrated throughout her journey. It took a bit of will power but she managed to walk forward away from the smell of food.

She ended up finding herself at a ginormous library. She wasn't there to read, study or find out any info from a book or pony. No, she was there simply because it was a rather quiet place where she could try something. If she couldn't just walk all over Equestria and look for him then she was going to have to find an alternative. Magic had always come in handy for solving problems that seemed unsolvable. Of course to find him she would need something that was a part of him. Luckily she too had just the thing.

She pulled the item off of her back and onto the table. She looked around to make sure nopony was paying much attention to her. She seemed to draw no attention to herself and thus she continued. She put her hand on the wrapped item and took a deep breath.


Equestria was a land that brought curiosity to many outsiders. It was far more peaceful and put together than the surrounding lands. Besides, a few hot spots there wasn't much predator VS prey going on. Even the weather was controlled by the Pegasus. It was certainly a change of scenery for the clocked cat. His blue and gray fur blew steadily in the Equestrian wind. It didn't fight against it like he was used to. Instead, it flew calmly, in unison with it.

He walked aroused soothing grass, which beat the scorching sand any day, yet he made no changes in his approach. He didn't stop to admire the scenery, and he didn't seem to care much about the nature around him. His hours were few, and soon the enemy would find the cat he was looking for. He needed to find her before the enemy did.

He looked up at a tree and closed his eyes. He took a deep breath through his nose. Everything froze in time and started to move in reverse. The sun moved in reverse till the moon once again dominated the sky. He looked up and saw his target. She climbed the tree and tied her stuff to a branch next to her. Then she laid down. Time speed forward as the sun retook its rightful place. She took her stuff and jumped down from the tree. She then proceeded to walk off into the distance.

He followed her a bit until he came upon a large city. He looked down at his wrist. A panel rested on it and it powered up on command. A map appeared with a name in large letters, Canterlot. He was at the heart of Equestria. Time returned to the present and he took another deep breath. He continued his pursuit; he was a cat on a mission and no one would stop him.


Shira opened her eyes and realized she was still at the library. She looked down at the item and recalled what she had just seen. It was hard to sort through with all the noises and bright lights. Where he was it was one hell of a party going on. She didn't quite catch any name of the city or him, but she was fairly certain she could find a match.

She opened a book and looked through a list of city names in Equestria. She came across Canterlot, the heart of Equestria, but it seemed more of a Regal place with preppy ponies. Then she came across the Crystal Empire; it seemed far too north and way too small to be the right location. She continued to look around in search of a perfect match.

After she checked for a few more cities and towns she finally came across something that caught her eye. It was large and it wasn't a preppy place. It certainly was a huge party place and it seemed to have a matching description, " A Place Where the Party NEVER ENDS". She knew without a doubt that she had finally located the city where he was at. She then came across one thought. He was supposed to be a strong-hearted witty creature. He was unmatched in his bravery and courage. So with all of the awesome abilities and courageous outlook, what great things could he be doing in such a place.


The Equestrian breath blew swiftly across the land. The Celestial sun rose calmly to take its throne in the sky. The moon retreated to its slumber; waiting for it's time to come again.

The breath blew across trying to take dominance over the land, however, it was not to be, the loud sound of hooves and chatter planted the ground. The large city was anything but calm. The streets were packed with ponies pulling wagons and many rushing to their destination. Advertisements roared high above the crowd; making sure nopony could miss them. The city was a huge party in itself. The city of Las Pegasus was certainly a sight to see.

The Blue Diamond Cocino was the shining star of the city. As a new addition to the ever-growing festival, it certainly was the place to be. Anyone who was anyone went to the Blue Diamond Cocino. The ceiling stretched so high that ponies claimed that the famous Rainbow Dash could perform her legendary sonic rainboom without disturbing anyone below. The rides stretched from one end of the building to the other. The water slides were some of the largest in all of Equestria.

Among all of the glory, there was a large area dedicated to slot machines and gambling. Yes, the place where ponies went to get rich and love, and where pony's wallets went to die. Very few creatures were skilled enough to make an actual living through gambling, of course, there's always the minority.

His hands moved fast and swift; every motion and movement had a secret intention behind them. His glaring green eyes were soft yet sharp; they revealed nothing about him. He wore a nice black cloak matched with a black hat. His brownish-orange fur sat calmly against his body. The tense situation seemed to not have any impact on the player.

Across the table sat an earth pony with a black mane and gray coat. He wore pitch-black shades, a matching suit, and a matching crew behind him. The pony sat with a hand of cards and a huge pile of money in front of him. A small stream of sweat silently ran down his face. No one else seemed to notice except for the ponies opponent. The green-eyed player across from him sat with an equally large amount of money. It was an all or nothing situation. The tension brought a humongous spectating crowd to incircle the two.

The player yawned and stretched a bit. He casually put his feet on the table and leaned back; he was comfortable. He looked down at his cards and then right back into the pony's eyes. The pony didn't get it. The situation was incredibly dire and deserved stress, but the player didn't seem to even notice the money at stake. Either the player was incredibly stupid, or he wasn't stressed because he knew he already won. The pony feared this above all, of course, it could have been just a bluff. Perhaps the cool-guy act was just to cover for a terrible hand. The pony smiled a bit as he started to convince himself of this conclusion.

The player saw the doubt in his eyes and responded accordingly. He took his feet off of the table and pushed forward the rest of his money pile.

"I'm all in," said the player causally. His timid soft voice seemed to rattle in the pony's head a bit.

The sweat that ran down the pony's face became more apparent. The lifeless eyes of the player seemed to drill into the pony's soul. He couldn't read the player and it killed him. He ground his teeth wondering if he should risk so much. Their gazes were locked in a ferocious war. Of course, the pony's walls were made of strong durable titanium, however, the player's walls had reached a new level of pure vibranium. At last, the walls of titanium came tumbling down.

"Damn you, I fold," the words of the pony flushed through the crowd.

The crowd went wild and raised in a mountain of cheers. The player stood up and walked over to the pony.

"Damn it, you must have had an ace on you," said the pony.

"Eh, you win some and you lose some. Good game though," replied the player.

"Well, I see that you have quite the talent, sir."

The player turned to see a rather dashing mare standing and admiring him. She had a long light blue mane with a white coat. She wore a black dress with a matching scarf. Her bright blue eyes showed her interest in him.

"You sir, are quite the charmer."

"Well Capper's the name, and charming IS my game."

Author's Note:

Yeah. Look who is here. Let's see how this plays out now.

Till Next Time!!!:pinkiehappy: