• Published 20th Dec 2019
  • 756 Views, 19 Comments

Beyond My Grave: Nightlight - AnnEldest



In part three of the series, Luna must help an old friend with supernatural powers of his own.

  • ...
2
 19
 756

The Fur-ghtening Path Ahead

The two grown ponies open the door to let a large blue pony through. The father had a brown coat with an orange mane and his wife was yellow with green hair. They greeted the blue pony and offered her a drink. She respectfully declined and quickly sat down with them. Their letter seemed urgent and rather concerning so the blue pony wanted to waste no time.

"It happened a few nights ago," said the tall orange stallion.

"We were horrified. She just wouldn't stop screaming," The yellow pony whimpered. "She just kept screaming that it was going to kill her and she kept pointing at her window."

"I of course went right over to the window to see if there was anything," the orange pony shifted in his seat. " I saw…" he swallowed hard as his eyes trailed off in thought. "A large black figure running off into the trees. I didn't know what to make of it, or honestly what to do for that matter. I just picked up my daughter, grabbed my wife, and ran out of the house."

"Now, you said that this isn't the first time she has seen this thing?" The dark blue pony asked.

"It happened a couple of times but we thought it was just a simple nightmare or something… normal." The yellow pony fought back the tears that exposed her fear. " I don't know what the hell it was, but I know it was real."

"Why did you choose to come to me with this before anyone else?" The blue pony asked as she leaned forward.

"Well she's been having these, dreams lately," the orange pony stated. "And we know you're the one who deals with that kind of thing."

"What kinda dreams?"

"About the thing, she keeps seeing," the mother answered.

Light hoofstep could be heard as a filly trotted shyly into the room. The little filly looked up at the princess. Pink-haired white coat and beautiful bright blue eyes, her beauty was only matched by the lunar princess's. The filly shifted in her seat and swallowed hard. She looked up at her parents and then down at the floor as tears enveloped her eyes.

"Hello there sweetie, what's your name?" The blue pony sat down at a little purple table next to the little filly.

"Go on sweetie you can tell her, it's all right," The father reassured.

"It's Barry Blast."

She smiled. "Nice to meet you Barry Blast my name is Luna."

"I know..." her voice was timid. "That's a cool name, though," Barry Blast giggled.

"I know right. Thanks," Luna chuckled. "Can you please tell me what's been going on with you Barry?"

Barry Blast crossed her legs and looked straight down. "I don't want to talk about it."

"Sweetie you have to tell the princess. She's here to help you." He stepped forward and put his hoof on Barry Blast.

"Why don't you want to talk about it, Barry?" Luna got silence as a response. "Are you scared something bad is going to happen if you do?"

Barry nodded her head slowly as she continued to stare at the ground. "Please don't make me."

"Not even about the dreams?" Luna asked only to get a nod in response.

"Sweetheart you…" Luna put her hoof up, interrupting the stallion.

"It's alright, I'm not going to make you tell us." Luna leaned down to see Barry's face. "Can you at least tell me why you can't speak about what you saw?"

Barry looked up at Luna and started to cry. "He said if I told my parents… they would die." Barry began to sob as her father grabbed her and hugged her. "He said he wants my family dead, that all families are going to die."

"Please you have to help us, I don't know what to do or what's wrong with her." Her mother cried.

"There's nothing wrong with her," Luna corrected. "She's just scared."

"Well what are we supposed to do, can you help us or not?" She cried.

"I can try," Luna gulped. "But it means I need to see the thing that keeps going to her at night."


The orange cat sat in the damp breezed grass. The air chilled and calm, flourish through the crisp morning air. He breathed steadily in rhythm to the beat of the wind. Pages of his book swayed as the grass danced to the melody of nature. The wind whistled in harmony as it flushed through the autumn leaves.

The pages of his book spoke of the legend of the guardians. Mystical creatures that carried a deep and honing light. They could use this phone light to diminish any shadow or to kill any living creature before them. But they were peaceful creatures, gentle giants of the wind. It was said that when they sparred with each other they would not disturb you in a single leaf.

Capper took a deep breath in and opened his eyes. His stone sword laid in the grass before him. It's lightless aura sat still and dead in the atmosphere. It was his father's sword, his father's legacy, and his father's key. To hone its light he knew he would have to truly understand the weight of wielding the sword.

In one slick clean motion, he picked up the sword then pointed it at the horizon. The clash of purple and orange-yellow lights refracted off for the tip of the blade. The sword began to turn the light downward and reflected it off the crisp grass. The stone began to crack and it revealed the golden shimmer beneath its hide.

Capper swung the sword in the opposite direction and broke away the stone shell. Golden light rushed into the atmosphere then clashed with the sunrise. The light hovering above the trees and penetrated the ground. It truly was a work of art; a work of beauty.

Capper laughed as he stared at the jewel in his hand. It was his and his alone and that meant he said to do whatever his heart desired. He swung around and admired the perfectly balanced hilt. A sword was only as good as its ability to be used. It was beautiful but he wanted to know if it was deadly.

The cat ran over to one of the trees and held the sword up to the bark. He pressed the tip of the blade into the tree as it effortlessly cut through its center. He nearly fell forward as the blade went all the way through and emerged on the other side. He pulled it back to see the slit of sizzling light that was left behind. He laughed again as he realized the power he had before him.

With one clean motion, the tree was cut in half and fell to the floor in submission. Capper held the blade that had not bent nor faltered in any way. He walked forward to the next tree and repeated his actions. The chain of events repeated as the tree slammed hard against the forest floor. The joyful kitten jumped up and down as he cut his way through the forest. Trees after trees took pleasure in breaking his toys.

He walked back and kneel with the sword in front of him. All the power he had at his paws. He looked back at the trail destruction that he had left; it only brought amusement to the hungry kitten. He looked down at his claws and noticed their gold tint. He looked back at the blade and lifted his claws up. He ran his claws down the side of the sword and sparks flew in all directions. The crackling sound of two powers colliding with each other echoed through the trees. A child will always play with its toys.

"Are you sure he's not going to hurt himself?" Shira asked.

"He'll be fine," Arch assured. "He's a guardian; he cannot conceal his powers. Embracing them is all he can do now and frankly, it's going to be very useful."

"Well, he's not going to be useful because he's going to rip his freaking head off."

Arch laughed as he walked up the window. "Well, he's not going to make it back without getting into a fight so if he's not ready he's still gonna get his head cut off soooo…." A pony opened the window and asked them what they would like to order. "We're not always going to be there to protect him so we gotta teach him how to protect himself. What do you want by the way?"

Shira crossed her arms. "I don't care, just order something."

"You're stressing way too much over this, you know that?"

"Right, cause he's such a master at his weapon," Shira chuckled.

Arch rolled his eyes at Shira. "Come on I'm sure he's doing fine."

Capper yelled as he was flown several feet and landed hard on the ground. He groaned as he pushed himself up to his feet. He look at the tilted sword that was stuck into the ground. He walked over and drew the sword from the ground. Let's try this again,he thought to himself.

He climbed the tree till he was about 20 feet up off the ground. He looked down as he creeped his way out onto the branch. He held up his sword and turned it upside down so that it was pointing towards his target. Third time's the charm, he thought. He took a deep breath and screamed as he leaped off the branch. He met the ground quickly at an abrupt stop. The sword penetrated the dirt as a large wave cracked the ground. The branches of the trees were sent flying off into the sky. The trees closest to him were stripped of many of their leaves as the wind was disturbed by a sonic boom.

Capper tried to hold onto the sword but was sent flying. He skidded across the ground but managed to keep to his feet. His sword remained in the ground.

He laughed as he walked back to his relic and drew it from the ground once again. He held the sword up and twisted it letting the light bounce and shimmer off of it. He felt as if he had all the power in the world at his paws. The area around him was decimated as the ground was cracked and the trees were stripped.

He sat down and admired the golden light. He still couldn't believe that this was his reality; that he was truly something more in the world. Of course, all of this power only meant that a great responsibility would fall upon him. He also started to think. With all his power, what power did his enemies have?


Barry Blast's parents kissed her goodnight and turned off the lights. They walked out of her room and told her that they loved her. The stallion slowly shut her door as he promised that nothing would happen to her. They walked down the hallway and into their bedrooms where they sat on their bed. They had been instructed to leave things alone as the princess of the night worked. They were only to intervene if needed.

Luna flew down and landed softly on the roof. She looked up at the crescent moon that shined above. She laid down on the roof as she waited for the creature. It was more intense than most of the other times she helped ponies with their dreams. It seemed more real and far more threatening than usual. In the back of her mind, she had the simple thought that perhaps her situation was more than unnatural. A creature seen in the night but also seen in the filly's dreams. It threatened the filly and seemed to be pure evil. Most creatures had a purpose, a motive for being corrupted. Their presence was natural and recognizable, but this creature set off vibes that were far more disturbing. It seemed to be made of pure hate and violence. Her fear wasn't that it was unnatural but rather if it was supernatural.

Author's Note:

Yes. Finally, I got Luna in this story. Let's see what she is going through. A lot is happening to our heroes but what does it all mean?!!! Find out soon.

Till Next Time!!!:pinkiehappy: