• Published 17th Aug 2012
  • 1,140 Views, 23 Comments

For Science! - treco89090



What happens when your friend creates a portal? You test it, for science

  • ...
5
 23
 1,140

Chapter 3: The Science of Teleporting

Chapter 3: The Science of Teleporting

So our story begins right where it left off: in a carriage, going to Manehattan, with seven ponies, one of them a prince, on board. Oh joy.

“So tell me: how did you get here again?” Twilight asked quizzically.

“Well, first my friend called me then I stepped into a portal…” I began.

“Scientifically speaking!” said an unamused and monotone purple pony.

“I’m no scientist!” I replied “I’m a bucking historian, get off my balls, dang” I say.

“Watch your mouth, your highness!” said Rarity “my YOU need some manners” she then began muttering to herself.

“Hey lay off, he can talk how he wants!” Rainbow shouted “if that’s okay, your highness” she quickly recovered, red in the face.

I chuckled a little. “Please, Rainbow, it’s fine, and call me Alex at informal events, I hate this royalty tag crap.” I said.

I’m not sure why, but something about Dash’s behavior seemed… Odd to me, but I decided to ask her about it later.

“If you’re no scientist, why does the title say Science of Teleporting?” asked Pinkie clearly breaking the fourth wall.

“Um… ANYway, like I was saying I’m a historian. I could tell you an in-depth history of World War II in about hours if I wanted to” I say giving Pinkie an estranged look.

“What was this World War II?” asked Twilight.

“Well, it all started in 1919 with the Treaty of Versailles…” I began. I then began a spiel about WWII, only getting to about D-Day when Rainbow chimed in.

“OH MY GOD SHUT UP!!!!” She yelled. “Sorry for yelling” she quickly replied before covering her face, which was clearly blushing fiercely.

“Hey, it’s cool, I’m used to that response.” I told her, placing a comforting hoof on her shoulder and an equally comforting smile on my face. I knew something was up, I was definitely going to talk to her about it.

We then arrived in Manehattan and found our spots behind the princess, quietly, back behind her on the stage they set up.

“And THAT is what happened” said the princess, finishing that long explanation of events. “And now, Prince Alex”

I got up and walked forward. “Um, hi. You can rise now, I guess” I said because they had bowed, they rose quickly. “Um, I hate public speeches so um, yeah, nice weather, thank your friendly neighborhood weather pegasi for that, and yeah bye.” I said before walking back to my seat. The princess stepped forward again to end the assembly.

“Goddess I hate talking the crowds” I said after the crowd dispersed. The others kind of murmured and I was confused, then I saw the shadow. “Yes mom?” I said, turning “Be careful what you say and to whom, it could save your life. Now, back to Canterlot.”

We began the long ride to Canterlot in separate carts because there wasn’t a lot of room, so I was with the other girls, while Celestia was with the guards.

When we returned from the rather uneventful trip home we were summoned to the great hall.

“Alright Alex, listen up; your duty will be to manage the tides and currents as well as wave height and any tropical storms you deem fit. You start tomorrow morning. The tide times are in your room and please, try to avoid many storms” she then dismissed us and left.

“Rainbow, can you come with me to my room please? I want to talk to you.” I said after the others dispersed to their rooms for the night. “Um, okay sure” she replied nervously.

We walked in silence, only the occasional greeting to the guard here and there, until we reached my room, then I opened the door and let her go in first. After I entered I closed the door behind me.

“Are you okay Dashie? You’ve been acting really strange today.” I asked her after I closed the door.

“Um yeah, totally cool” she said nervously. “I don’t believe you.” I said “Please, I’m your friend, tell me what’s up” I said taking a step towards her.

“I’m fine okay! Sheesh.” She said angrily, but her voice quickly changed. “I’m sorry, please don’t hate me.” She finished.

“Why would I hate you over one little outburst? You’re really tense” I said as I walked up and hugged her with my wings. “Please, go to bed and get some rest, then we can talk in the morning. Dismissed.” I said after releasing her.

“Thank you” she said before kissing me quickly on the snout and running out. “I knew it” I thought as I lied down in my bed. “Aw crap, here come the dirty thoughts” I said as I put my head against the pillow.

Thankfully, the night passed without any hitches, just a dream about going home. In the morning I looked at the tide schedule and saw that the tide needed to be changed in about 10 minutes so I got myself ready for the day. Thankfully the tides were easy to change, with some help from Luna since she originally did it, I learned I didn’t even need to leave the palace I just looked at the ocean and, with a bit of magic, changed the tide to it’s proper stance. Although the magic part was a little difficult, so Luna helped me focus.

After that was done I had to check the fishing reports to make everything was in line, then the pollution reports because of those gosh darn factories, then I had royal court to go to.

After the long and boring court Luna and I were released for the time being (Luna would be needed at 1400 for a second court, but that was only land based things.) I quickly called a messenger dragon to write to Rainbow to tell her to meet at the Rising Tide Bar at 1500.

At 1445 I gathered my things and headed out. Even though I was only14 in my own world I well over the drinking age in Canterlot, as was Rainbow, and I got there at about 1455 and waited. Several people asked me water related questions, which I answered to the best of my abilities.

At 1500 I turned to see Rainbow come through the doors and I waved her over. When she sat down she ordered a shot of vodka and I got a glass of moonshine, not the illegal kind.

“So why did you ask me to come here?” She asked after taking her shot.

“I just came to talk for a while, I guess” I replied taking a sip from my glass. The liquid seemed incredibly strong, probably brewed at the last full moon last night.

“Is that all?” She asked again.

“You are full of questions aren’t you?” I asked back, and she blushed. I just laughed and said “It’s cool, I ask a lot of questions too”

After about three hours of banter between us and the bartender we decided to leave, I covered it all, and then some, and we left the bar. On our way back Rainbow took me off the road and by an old willow tree.

“Listen, Alex, I know we haven’t known each other for long but there is something I want to tell you.” She said sitting down, patting the ground next to her, and I sat.

“Yeah, what would that be?” I asked, expecting an obvious answer, but it is was still unexpecting

“Alex I- I love you” she said and she quickly leaned over and kissed me, deeply at that.

As much as I wanted to say it back, I really couldn’t. I mean heck, I’ve only been here for TWO DAYS!! That’s not exactly a long time to get to know someone, unless it’s in The Sims 3, then that’s more than enough time, but this isn’t The Sims 3!

“I’m sorry but it just hasn’t been enough time for me to say the same back to you” I replied and I saw Rainbow’s face go from nervous to sad in a few seconds. “Oh okay.” was were only response.

I saw how bad she felt so I pulled her close anyway and said “listen, if we hang out more, I could probably give you an answer within the month, but now, after two days, I can’t” I stood up. “Now, come on, we supper at the castle waiting, unless mom ate it all. Fat ass” I say standing up.

This merit’s a light chuckle from Rainbow who is standing up beside me. We begin walking back to the castle and we talk the whole way there, and despite what I said, I couldn't help but feel… warm inside, when around Rainbow, and I figured I’d probably have her answer before the moth was over.

Author's Note:

Well that was fun, I was up from about 11 PM to about 1:30 AM EST writing this, then again from about 8 later that morning, but it was fun, I hope you enjoy it.