• Published 9th Mar 2022
  • 807 Views, 68 Comments

A Blackened Sunset - MLPSolarDash1907



A humbler and anti-social Sunset, convinced by Celestia, goes out to look for friends and gets more than what she'd anticipated.

  • ...
4
 68
 807

Chapter 10 - Aftermath

In the next few weeks, Sunset fell into a deep depression, not interacting or socializing with anypony. Celestia allowed her to skip school for however long she needed and visited her as much as she could. When Sunset’s depression got worse, Celestia had her admitted to a therapist. Sunset suffered continuous nightmares and hearing her daughter’s cries through the night. The therapy helped some as time went on, but it didn’t take away the reality of what happened. Sunset’s parents came to visit her and explained they heard what happened but Celestia wouldn’t let them visit until she saw fit.

Sunset didn’t approve of Celestia letting her parents seeing her, but she sort of figured Celestia was trying to get familiar faces Sunset knows and talk to them, only to learn they managed to force themselves to go see their distraught daughter. She still resented them for getting angry at her and trying to control her when they’d been away so long and only apologized via a letter without visiting her themselves. Sunset let them have it and angrily told them, through tears, how it made her feel.

Both parents apologized profusely and wished they could’ve been there. Sunset didn’t forgive them, but after more yelling from her and convincing from her parents, she allowed them to hug her and comfort her in this dark time.

Both parents treated her to her favorite foods, desserts, and parental love while sacrificing time at their jobs to help their daughter recover. Both realized that their jobs have been far too time-consuming and that they should’ve been more with her sooner. So, after going through the processes, both parents quit their jobs for their daughter and promised to get jobs with better times and more time for family.

That development surprised Sunset, she thanked them for taking her into so much consideration, however, she didn’t really forgive them just yet, but they didn’t blame her for it. They just wanted to be there and help her. Sun Glow sang her lullabies from when Sunset was a filly, and her dad read bedtime stories every night.

As for Copper, Apollo did try to find his whereabouts and confront him about his actions. However, he never was heard from or seen again, both by his parents and friends. Apollo did everything he could by searching every inch of Canterlot and Vanhoover, to where he was said to have been recently, only to come up empty hooved every time. Eventually, he gave up and went back to Sunset to be the father he should’ve been.

In the third week, Sunset felt a little bit like her old self but was still unable to move on from losing her daughter. Celestia offered her some time out of the house and to walk around the Castle some. It took some convincing, but Sunset eventually obliged. She did get some sense of what she’s supposed to be doing by learning magic and being Celestia’s personal protégé, but that didn’t stop her from feeling hurt. What more could they do? Sunset’s visiting therapy and they’re helping her in every way they can. It’s just a very difficult situation.

In the fourth week, Sunset began getting back on track and even began to research magic and other lessons she’d left unattended for so long. She began being more proactive and better in her therapy sessions, much to the relief of her parents and Celestia. One night, she talked with her parents and asked them not to speak of this incident anymore because she’s progressing and is moving on. Any mention would just re-open wounds and cause some more pain, so things can go back to normal. The parents agreed and hugged their daughter. Sunset approached Celestia and requested the same thing, that all evidence of her having the baby would not be remembered and erased. Celestia was very understanding but still hated the idea. She asked not to mention what happened with her specifically and to figure something out when it came to her absence for ten months. Eventually, Sunset returned to school and many ponies welcomed her back. Some asked her questions but she pushed them away saying she was away at a magic training program and that she was sick after she’d gotten back. Not magic-induced sickness, just some flu and later a cold. Things slowly turned back to normal, well, as normal as they could be.


If you have somepony you love, and they’re taken from you, what kind of pony do you become? A broken heart can reamend, but in a jagged, messed up way.

So much for the ‘special child.’

So much for the Light, Harmony, and friendship.

So much for loving somepony you’d get to watch grow up.

Slowly over the next five years, Sunset became much more into her studies, not having time for anypony else. She became cruel, spiteful, greedy, and wanting power. She felt as if she were above everypony else. These feelings came, as a result, to protect herself and be in control after what transpired. She, her parents, and Celestia became much more distant and eventually led to Sunset learning about the Crystal Mirror into the other world, betraying and snuffing Celestia, leaving her strained relationship with her parents behind and into the world over.

For the next ten years, she spent learning the world’s ways and becoming a popular, snide high school girl in an attempt to start over in life, but eventually learned of a new princess in Equestria. She hated Celestia for not giving her what she so rightly deserved, but now the hatred went through the roof.

What she didn’t know, is that after she made her move to steal the Crown, is that her path would soon take another sharp turn into a better life and filled with friendship.


Years later

Sunset chuckled as she opened the door to her house. She put her phone against her ear, “I’ll see you, girls, in a few days for Granny Smith’s birthday.”

“All right, Sunset!” Sci-Twi answered from over the phone. “Bye!”

“Bye Twilight,” replied Sunset as she placed her backpack onto the couch. She hung up and placed her phone in her pocket, walking up the stairs to her bed.

“Okay, Princess Twilight, have you responded yet?” she asked herself, spotting her magical journal on top of the blankets and sheets that had yet to be made. Almost on cue, the journal glowed pink and vibrated. Sunset beamed, opened it up to the most recent page, and grabbed her pen.

Hello Sunset! I finally managed to get to writing a message to you! Twilight had written, Things have been really busy with the upcoming Gala in about a week.

Sunset smiled and wrote back, It’s no big deal, Twilight. I’m just glad you got to me and extended an invitation to me.

Of course! With the leaders of the other kingdoms coming, I figured this would be a great opportunity for all of us!

I can’t wait! Sunset wrote back, but the thought of Twilight mentioning bullies and plumbing problems crossed her mind. Sunset decided to push that thought aside and continue writing, So, are all of your friends going to be there?

There was a brief pause before Twilight began writing again, Starlight plans to be there on the night of the Gala, but she went to go visit Sunburst concerning new magic and hypotheses.

Sunset smirked, Oh, okay. My schedule is still free and I believe I will be able to make it.

I look forward to it! But I need to leave in about half an hour for a conference. But I’m glad we caught each other.

Likewise, Sunset wrote, Good luck and goodbye, for now, Twilight.

Bye Sunset!

Sunset closed her journal as a warm feeling rose within her chest. She laid on her bed, happy and grateful for a second chance. She remembered all of the wonderful adventures since her horrible self, transforming into a demon, redemption and how she and her friends helped her grow throughout the times beyond them.

It was as if she had found her way in life and won’t back down from helping and seeing everyone through because of the lives that changed hers.

“Thank you,” she said, smiling as a small tear rolled down her cheek.

One more thing Sunset didn’t know, is that on the other side of the mirror, was that her long-lost daughter was making her way into Equestria.


The moment Mystic stepped across Equestria’s border, it was almost as if a switch had been flipped in the atmosphere. It felt lighter and peaceful. She unrolled the map she had acquired from the lion last night and deterred she was going in the right direction. When she rolled it up and put it in her satchel, she got a glimpse of the lion medallion as well. Mystic shut her satchel and swung it over her shoulder.

Mystic brushed some dirt off her sharp orange coat, flicked her black mane, and looked at her reflection in a puddle with her sapphire eyes.

“You’re one step closer to your goal,” Mystic told herself, looking out onto the horizon, seeing the luscious green fields, forests, and a couple of mountains in the distance.


The End (?)

Author's Note:

The story continues in Wherever the Light Shines and Wherever the Light Shines: Part 2