• Published 9th Mar 2022
  • 806 Views, 68 Comments

A Blackened Sunset - MLPSolarDash1907



A humbler and anti-social Sunset, convinced by Celestia, goes out to look for friends and gets more than what she'd anticipated.

  • ...
4
 68
 806

Introduction

Author's Note:

WARNING! Due to people on this site not being into OCs as much as the mainline characters, this story is connected to the Wherever the Light Shines story and whatever happens in this story might be upsetting to some of you if you're not interested in reading that particular story and its separate parts. So, to try and avoid people being a little upset, turn back now, or if you're willing to give this one a shot, go ahead and enjoy the story. :)

Second, this thing has been written for years now, so expect some errors and this one not being as polished as my other stories on this site.

Third, new chapters will be out every Wednesday until finished. :twilightsmile:

Getting into Celestia’s School was a dream come true for anypony. Ponies from all across Equestria knew of it and the fascinating lessons the students learn about unicorn magic, the history of Equestria, potion making, and many other topics. Many ponies desire to attend the school, many don’t stay due to their inability to stick with the lessons, goofing around, bullying ponies while thinking they’re above them, and because they fear the Princess on what she might do to them if they fail or some other drama caused by gossip. The Princess was a very kind soul and won’t do any of the tall tales spread by those who began them many years ago, but that doesn’t stop ponies from fearing her to some capacity.

Those who do manage to stay are very talented, fast learners and are willing to push through anything to get their work done. While Celestia encouraged them to push through, she also encouraged them to make friends. Which they did and have learned valuable lessons about working together. There was one student that stands above them all, Celestia’s own personal pupil, Sunset Shimmer.

The talented fiery-maned filly arrived and began learning a few years ago. She slowly made her way up to the top where Celestia, seeing her raw talent, took her in as her own pupil and she’s been excelling ever since.

Normal ponies would expect Sunset not to be close to her family at this point, however, she and her parents, Sun Glow and Apollo Cyrus, were very close ever since she was born and had a good relationship with them. They even visited her at the school from time to time to check on her progress, Sunset sometimes would surprise them with visits to catch up with them. However, as time went on, the lessons demanded more and more of Sunset’s time so she couldn’t see them as much as she wanted, but they did write to one another, and when they did see each other, it was all the more special.

However, this year, the last time they saw each other was Hearth’s Warming Eve, and that was over three months ago, plus her parents were busier with their jobs after they got their promotions. Apollo had been going across Equestria designing and helping build hotels, casinos, and designing his own art projects he works on himself. Sun Glow is a co-business manager and provides intel to a powerful pony named Mr. Bullion.

Sunset’s been checking her mailbox every day for a letter but only walked away disappointed, more so each time she checked. After checking it again, she went to study some more.

Now, as she sat in the nearly empty Canterlot library studying more of Starwirl’s ancient spells and theories on other dimensions, her thoughts couldn’t help but drift back to her parents. Sunset would be at the school’s library, but she enjoyed the walk and the library’s selection was more excessive than the school’s library. She lightly groaned as she squinted her eyes to focus on the words of the book. It didn’t last long and she let out a snort before shutting it with an audible thud.

“Miss Shimmer? Are you okay?” a voice Sunset knew as Dusty Pages asked.

Sunset sighed, “I suppose if you want to call being unable to get mail from your mother and father for the past three months okay, then I guess I’m just peachy...” She slightly sulked.

Frowning and feeling sympathetic, Dusty made her way over to Celestia’s prized pupil, “Dearie, I’m truly sorry to hear such a thing.”

“Wouldn’t be the first time I heard that,” Sunset mumbled, shuffling her hooves.

Dusty pulled out a chair and sat down next to Sunset. “Did you try to go visit them yourself?”

Sunset nodded, “I did, but they were out for the day. Plus, with the new promotions that both got in their jobs, they aren’t at home as much as they used to be.”

“Oh, I...”

“I get it,” Sunset cut her off, holding up a hoof, “You’re sorry. Others have told me that, but I don’t need any more sympathy.”

“I was just going to ask if you’d gone to Celestia about this,” said Dusty.

Sunset looked at her, “Where’re you going with this?”

“I think you know; did she encourage you to come to know ponies and get acquainted with them?”

“You mean making friends?” Sunset sighed, “Look, I don’t dislike the idea of making friends, I’ve seen all kinds of ponies working together.” She smirked, “But for me, I’ve been able to do all kinds of magic alone.”

“Are you saying you don’t have any friends?”

“More of acquaintances than friends, partners in magic studies, though that’s not as common as it was in elementary classes.” She looked back at the book, “Besides, I can’t really find the time to make friends.”

Dusty smiled, “Go to Celestia.”

Sunset looked at her again, “What?”

“Go to Celestia and explain what you just told me,” Dusty patted her hoof, “She’ll know what to say.”

“What about you? Weren’t you about to give me an encouraging talk? Isn’t that how things go?” Sunset asked.

Dusty giggled, “What you’ve told me isn’t my place to discuss with you, but I believe that Celestia will steer you in the right direction.”

Sunset thought for a minute, but she eventually smiled a little bit.

“I’ll do that, thanks Dusty,” she said.

“Anytime for a friend,” Dusty smiled.

Sunset rolled her eyes, “Sure.”

Sunset left the library and made her way back to Canterlot Castle. The thought to teleport entered her mind, but she just kept walking as she knew as a form of procrastination.

Later, she entered her tower containing her living quarters. She went up to the second floor containing a massive hourglass and a large window giving her a view of Canterlot. Sunset settled her checked out books onto her a nearby stool.

Letting out a huff, she made her way out of there, through the Castle again, and to the Throne room’s doors. She stopped, taking a moment to compose herself. It’s not that she’s nervous, it’s just Celestia’s brought up making friends multiple times, and while she didn’t hate the idea, Sunset just thought she’d study magic.

“Working together on projects can really help you excel at this school,” the Princess’s words echoed through her mind, “It’s what I always encourage here. I believe you will see that, Sunset.”

Dang it, Celestia is right as always. Sunset thought, lightly chuckling to herself. Sunset opened the door to see the majestic signing some paper documents as a brown-haired and mustached Kibitz stood there with a few extras in his hoof. As quietly as she could, as to not disturb her mentor, the pupil eventually stopped close by. Celestia finished signing the documents, nodded at Kibitz before he left to take care of business.

Without looking, Celestia spoke, “What can I do for you Sunset?” She turned to face the mare, smiling at her.

Sunset chuckled, “I’ve really got to make sure you don’t know it’s me all the time.”

“I know you too well, my pupil,” Celestia winked, “Anyway, did you have something to talk to me about?”

Sunset awkwardly pawed at the throne room’s rug, “I... yes...”

“What is it then?”

Sunset sighed, “Well, you know about my parents not being able to contact me, and vice versa...but...I was thinking maybe...” She sighed again, “Maybe I could start to get acquainted more with the students?” She said that part quickly.

Celestia felt her heart leap for joy, “You’re serious?”

Sunset looked at the ground, slightly embarrassed, “Yes.”

“Oh, Sunset, this is wonderful,” Celestia said excitedly, “I knew you’d see why I encourage friendship in this school though.”

“I... I just don’t want it to take away from my studies,” Sunset said in a concerned voice.

“Sunset, you’re smart and I know you look specific qualities in everything,” said Celestia.

“So, it’s possible I can find a friend that won’t take me away from my studies?”

“Yes, I believe there are magical students here that even have time for friendship. Friendship is, in a big sense, a big sense is like magic itself.”

Sunset inwardly rolled her eyes, before thinking to herself, Friendship as some kind of magic? I’m not sure of that.

“Where do I even begin?” Sunset asked, “I mean I am the personal protégé of the ruler of all of Equestria.” She gave a knowing look towards Celestia.

“Oh, Sunset, just because you’re my personal protégé, doesn’t make you any different from anypony else,” Celestia explained, “You can make friends just like anypony else.”

“I’m not so certain about that...”

Celestia looked somewhat surprised, Sunset wasn’t the most social pony with the student body, but she knew her student was always so confident in everything that she did. Casting a sympathetic look, she stood up from her throne and began walking down to her protégé.

“Sunset, why are you hesitant about this?” she asked.

Sunset sighed, “I don’t know...”

Celestia sat down next to Sunset and wrapped a comforting wing around her, “I have no intention to push you, but I think you do know why.”

Sunset gave Celestia a slightly hesitant look, “I guess I’m just uncertain because, if I do try to make friends, if I’d somehow screw up and cause them not like me anymore? What if I, being as well-known as I am, cause ponies to want to stay away from me?”

“That will happen if you let it,” Celestia said softly, “But if you truly want friendship and find those you can relate to, show any form of kindness, it’ll eventually flourish into friendship.” She smiled, “It does take some time from pony to pony, but if you want to be friends, it will happen.”

Sunset listened to her mentor, she began thinking that having a friend or two may not be so bad, but again, there’s that fear of being distracted.

“And remember,” said Celestia, “Just try to be a pony like everypony else. Take the first step, Sunset.”

Sunset thought some more, The first step... she still felt somewhat embarrassed having not considered this concept until now.

“O-Okay, I will not fail this,” she said.

Celestia chuckled, “It’s not a test, Sunset, remember, you’re just to get to know ponies better by doing things you love. I’m sure there’s somepony who’ll be your friend.”

“I’ll try to keep that in mind.”

Celestia looked to see her clock on the wall, telling her it’s time to lower the sun and make way for the night, a slight pain in her heart came to her as she remembered Luna. She turned back to Sunset, happy to have somepony close to her again.

“Hey, Sunset,” she smiled, “How about after I lower the sun, we can have some of your favorite tea to celebrate your decision tonight?”

Sunset cracked a smile, “That sounds good.” She looked hesitant again but Celestia gave her an assuring look that helped her regain some of her confidence. But first, she wanted that tea.