• Published 31st Oct 2019
  • 8,210 Views, 222 Comments

Growth - Mister E



Twilight Sparkle re-emerges from her seclusion. Her studies of the powers Discord forced upon her complete. Now as a newly formed creature of Chaos, how will she contend with daily life in Equestria.

  • ...
25
 222
 8,210

Prologue

“Twilight?”

Somepony was speaking my name. Unless, I am hearing things now as well. Very possible considering how loud that dry raspy whisper of cloth decaying right next to my ear has gotten.

“Twilight!”

No, that was definitely somepony speaking my name. I had been trying to blot everything out. Trying to focus on the darkness. Darkness induced by the rotting cloth tied over my eyes. Tied in desperation to shield me from the truth of the world.
I was finally beginning to calm myself, my tears slowing to a trickle.

“TWILIGHT SPARKLE YOU WILL GIVE ME YOUR ATTENTION THIS INSTANT!”

Oh my Goddess that was loud. Wait, that WAS my Goddess. Celestia was here. And she didn’t sound at all pleased with me.

I had a feeling that was going to get worse.

“S-sorry Princess.” I managed miserably to say, my throat still sore from puking so much earlier.

“Twilight,” she said once more, her voice softer and filled with concern. “Tell me what happened. All that Spike’s letter said was to come as quickly as I could, that something was wrong with you. When I arrived, I saw neither he, nor your student Starlight Glimmer, and then I found you on the floor with your eyes covered up, and tears running down your cheeks.
Twilight, you need to tell me what happened. I can’t help you if I don’t know what’s wrong.”

I wasn’t up to this. My body was shaking, my head pounded, my nerves were frayed, and my throat was raw. But I had to tell her. I decided the simplest truth would be the best place to start.

“Discord did me a favor.”

As it turns out, that was the wrong thing to say.

DISCOOOOORRRRRRD!!!

Her shout rang through the entire castle. Literally. It was so loud the crystals of the castle itself began to vibrate. I can only hope that none of them cracked.

“Well you don’t have to SHOUT Celestia, I’m right here. I have been the whole time.”

“Wha-?” I managed.

“Well you don’t think I’m going to just leave you alone do you? Whole new set of powers potentially at your disposal, new way of seeing the world. What? You think I’m the kind of being would would give a baby a beaker full of azidoazide azide, and then a good tickle? I’m surprised at you… (and that only happened once).”

“Wh-” I began, but was cut off.

“DISCORD! Undo whatever it is that you have done to Twilight, RIGHT THIS INSTANT!”. Celestia orders, her voice holds more anger that I have ever heard before, even with that strange dying off effect that sound does now.

“Well, there’s just a few little problems with that Celly. First, and most importantly, you can’t make me. Second, but still high on the list, Twilight wanted this, so even if I were foolish enough to TRY and undo what I did, SHE is the one that gets to ask me, not YOU. And number three… I don’t actually think I could. Well… not with any guarantee of success that is. I mean it’s VERY difficult to modify perceptions and get it right. Altering them to my way of viewing the universe is sightly easier, because I can use myself as a template. But how you ponies normally see the world? I haven’t a clue. I mean, I can deduce from inference that it must be horribly dull and boring, but how does one tune an eyeball to ‘boring’? You really should put dials on those things.”

“Modify percept- No! Discord you didn’t! Not again! You wouldn’t!” Celestia sounded horrified.

“Hey, SHE wanted to know. I TRIED to talk her out of it, just ask her. Besides, I think we all learned quite a bit, since the last time. I’m sure if we all just calm down, maybe have a drink, perhaps a snack...”

{Uuuurp!}

“Or not, or not. Deep breaths Twilight, deep breaths… My point is Celly, that what’s done is done. We just need to make the best of it and move on.”

“I shall wrest the Elements from the Tree, turn you back into stone, and cast you into the deepest pit in Tartarus!” Celestia says in fury.

I can feel her next to me, she’s crackling with power. It’s getting warmer, I can feel her solar fury on my coat. I couldn’t stop her if I wanted to. Did I want to? Did I not?

“Aaaand if you DO all of that, then I won’t be around to help Twilight adjust to her altered state. I mean, I’m sure you’ll do the best you can without me… oh, but then we both know how well THAT worked out last time.

“S-stop. Please. Both of you.” I manage to say. “Discord may not have given me all the details, but I asked for this. I wanted to know, I WANTED to understand. And… I still do. Please Celestia, don’t hurt him.”

“Twilight,” she says quietly.

“Oh Twilight, such compassion,” Discord says in a tone I can’t identify. Gratitude? From him? “Not that she could have hurt me anyway, but the gesture IS appreciated. All right Celestia, obviously things have gotten off on the wrong hoof here, let’s just adjourn to someplace more comfortable and we can talk this all out.”

“Fine.” Celestia replies, her voice filled with steel. No, she is not pleased, not pleased at all.

I hear Discord snap his claw. I can tell we are somewhere else. For one thing, the whisper of rot is gone, as is any lingering scent of it.

“It’s alright Twilight, you can open your eyes here.” He says, cheerily.

I reach up to remove the scarf, but it isn’t there. Slowly, I open my eyes. Although blurry from the tears that had filled my eyes, my vision quickly clears. I’m in… white. No, I’m not dressed in white, everything around me is white. I can’t tell if I am in a room or in a void. Everything is completely white. I see Discord and Celestia, neither of them show any sign of rot, although Celestia isn’t wearing her armor or her crown.

“Welcome,” Discord says grandly, his arms thrown wide, “to the White Room.”