• Published 8th Oct 2019
  • 2,747 Views, 87 Comments

True Harmony - Saturni_Rose



Third installment to my AU where Luna is the protagonist; now, new shadows lurk in her quiet life.

  • ...
4
 87
 2,747

Part 2: Go for a walk.

Luna took a long sip, mindful of the heat, and set her cup down. She eyed the small plate of toast she’d made. But her stomach was in knots, so it remained untouched, butter melting away into the crevices it coated. As her eyes darted over what she had so far, the bags underneath began to feel so apparent. So reaching up, she tugged on her cheek.

“That bad, huh?” Hope-Heart caught the scene as she passed by with a cart. She levitated a few books from within to replace upon the far shelves nearby, waiting on an answer as she peeked through the doorway.

Glad for the distraction, Luna slid the papers away like she had the plate, looking up to meet Hope’s expectant gaze. “One would think, having been a princess, I should readily be able to address a crowd.” She took another sip from the coffee Hope had brought, striking of deja vu. “Yet here I am, a whole day later, and I’ve nothing to show.”

Hope took the cart under hoof and smirked. “So you’re a little rusty. Happens to the best of us, boss. I don’t think, like, beating yourself up over this is gonna help, though.”

“Right.” agreed Luna out of obligation. She took the pencil back into her magic grip and stared at the papers once more. Still nothing came.

Grimacing, Hope looked on with unease, sparks practically flying between Luna’s harsh concentration, and a page that defiantly remained blank. Drawing a sharp breath, she said: “Say, you’ve given me run of the library the next few days.”

“And I promise I shall make this up to you.” said Luna, unknowingly interrupting Hope’s train of thought. “I cannot thank you enough, Hope. You have really come through for me on this, for which I intend to compensate you extra.”

“What I was trying to say is…” She tried to say, but the look she got gave her pause. Luna’s concern was palpable, as though she could reach out and grab it. “You certainly don’t have to be here, you know? Like, you can go somewhere else and clear your head?”

Luna sat with this a moment. “Yes.” she said, resolute. “You’re quite right.”

“Yeah I am!” said Hope in a mix of encouragement and self satisfaction. “You get out there, girl, and seize the day.”

“I’ll get out there and get some fresh air.” proclaimed Luna, standing up from her chair. Her magic’s blue aura thoughtlessly stuffed the papers and pencil alike into a nearby shoulder bag.

“Heheh, that’s the spirit, girl.” proudly said Hope, watching her snatch up the toast and coffee and bag to head for the door.

Pausing by the exit to don a scarf, Luna peered back and told her: “And I know just the pony who can help me relearn to rub elbows with the upper crust!”

Hope blinked at those words, turning to add: “Okay, not really wh--” Ring-a-ding, click. The door shut firmly, and the bell swayed back into rest, quiet once more. Gawking, Hope watched her silhouette pass by the far window, and just like that, she was gone. With a sigh to herself, she said aloud: “Well. Whatever works, I guess.”


Click, ring-a-ding. The noise perked a flickering ear of marble white. When the head followed after, silky locks of purple bounced to one side. Rarity took the needle from her tightly pressed lips and stuck it into a miniature cushion strapped round her nearest ankle. She picked up into a trot and announced: “Welcome to Carousel Boutique! How m--ah, Luna, darling!”

Luna loosened her white scarf and none too gracefully wiped the last few crumbs of toast off on her ankle. “Hi, ahem, so sorry to show up unannounced like this.”

“Oh you’re not a bother at all.” cooed Rarity. She gestured further into her work area and added: “I was just putting the needle to some of the commissioned work I got via the gala.” She turned back to Luna and smiled up at her. “Thanks ever so much again for bringing me along.”

A soft, if somewhat bitter chuckle let out, despite Luna’s best hopes of not seeming untoward. “I’m very glad the trip worked out well for all my other friends.”

Unable to help it, one drooping ear betrayed the fall in Rarity’s mood. Trying to maintain her eager-to-please smile, she said: “That certainly was most unfortunate, but, well… was there something I could help you with today?”

“Aw, I didn’t mean to show up merely to level more sour feelings at you.” With nervous reserve now setting in, Luna produced the papers from her shoulder bag, briefly glancing over the notes she had put down so far. “You see, I’m due at a conference in Canterlot tomorrow morning, to publicly discuss my status in renouncing my crown and what have you.”

Hunching over her counter, Rarity’s hooves squished in her cheeks with a groan. “Oh, dear, I really wish you’d told me about this sooner. I could have thrown something together for you and still had time for my commissions.”

Luna blinked. “Wh… Wait, no, you misunderstand. I’m not asking for another outfit, I-I was hoping you might have some advice?”

Rarity trotted off, insisting that: “Confidence is important when addressing a crowd, which a smart look can help one achieve aesthetically.”

Brushing her own cheek, Luna admitted that: “Confidence isn’t exactly something I have abundance in these days.” She followed along, though, dutifully enough. “And what about my gala dress? I could wear that again, it is quite fetching.”

“That it is.” agreed Rarity with pride, which quickly vanished for the sake of practicality. “But it’s simply far too fun of an outfit, dear, it simply wouldn’t do.”

Luna scratched at the bridge of her nose as she watched Rarity fling open a door into a long closet and wheel out a cart of shirts. “Is this really necessary? I simply need a little advice on regaining some of my confidence.”

“Ha,” scoffed Rarity as she clicked through the hangers of some old rental tuxedos she had lying around, “try killing your evil monster self, bringing sunlight back, making new friends, and gingerly working your way into a new life all your own. Sounds fairly confident to me, anyway; here, try this on.” She plucked a white dress shirt from its hanger and tossed it across Luna’s shoulders. “Honestly, how could you have accomplished all this, and still not feel like your old haughty, high and mighty self again?”

Luna gulped, pondering the fragmented shadow that still seemed to loom over her even now. Mayhaps now was not the best time. Instead, as she thoughtlessly slipped into the shirt, she droned on. “My girlfriend betrayed my trust, one of the princesses had it out for me all summer, and now a press conference was thrust upon me out of the blue yesterday.”

Rarity pursed her lips, though she seemed far more focused on the fit of the shirt. “I suppose that would explain why you didn’t come to me sooner.”

Luna pulled away the sleeve she was examining. “Pardon my tact here, but that is rather not the point. A-and at any rate, what am I doing? I cannot let you give me a shirt, you’ve already done too much for me as it is.”

“Funny, you seem to understand pride just fine when it comes to charity.” grumbled Rarity, adjusting the bright red frames as her glasses began to slip. “But this is not that, I am letting you borrow a shirt and tie, alright?”

“Oh.” mewled Luna, abashed. “It fits nicely. Thank you. B-but--”

“If you are so insistent on earning this small favor, as I am willing to do for you, because we are friends…” Rarity glowered, pointing at a few packages resting by her desk beyond the main work area. “Then you can return the favor by making a delivery for me.”

“Oh, certainly.” agreed Luna right away. “Where are they going?”

“Sweet Apple Acres.” explained Rarity. She waltzed over to a wardrobe, opening it to reveal a hanging assortment of neckties. They were mostly generic, solid colors; rather dull for her likes, but custom orders cost extra on commission. “My own sweet apple asked me to mend some older winter clothes that were a little beyond simple sew ups.”

Luna let a few sample ties get compared to each other against her borrowed shirt and less than borrowed dusky complexion. “I can gladly do this for you and let you get back to your actual work.”

“That would be swell.” Rarity ended up with a tried and true solid black tie. Sometimes, it was hard to argue with the classics, even if they might seem a bit mundane. Especially when one’s pressed for time. She took the shirt back and returned it to its hanger along with a new friend of opposite hue. “I was going to head out that way later on, but now you’ve saved me a trip in the cold and being out past sunset.”

“Only happy to help.” Luna beamed, cheerily following along as Rarity ushered her on.

“As to your actual inquiry, though…” She peered back to the order she’d paused working on. A little chuckle escaped her.

“Hmm?” Luna hoisted the old cardboard boxes onto her back, steadying them with her wings as they folded in ever so slightly. This might well be the last winter they saw any use. All the same, she waited for Rarity to continue her thought.

Rarity turned to her, teeth shining bright in a great big smile. “Lie to yourself.”

Slowly, as though it took every moment for the words to process, Luna’s eyes narrowed at her. “Beg your pardon?”

“Don’t beg, dear, it’s demeaning.” teased Rarity, lifting her hoof to trace along her jaw all the way to the end of Luna’s chin. Trotting off to get back to work, she added: “But I am serious when I say that confidence is something you absolutely can fake until it feels real enough to count. So get up tomorrow, look in the mirror, and say ‘I am a confident mare.’”

“‘I am a confident mare?’” Luna emulated poorly, because she wasn’t one. But deep down and far away, at the back of her vaults of memory, she recalled being one. Bloody victories on the battlefield, heated shouts at the royal court sessions, and why, yes, even approaching her sister, teeth clenched, they all echoed across the cavern walls of deepening centuries past.

“No, that won’t do.” tutted Rarity. Her magical grip swept her work table, scooping up several spools, the thread flying out to hook effortlessly into the needles of her wrist-bound pincushion. Leveling her gaze, sapphire eyes practically flaring with the command, she told her: “You’re allowed to leave now if you can give me one good one. Come now, dear.”

“Maybe you’re right, Rarity.” Luna rose into a firmer stance. When drawing a deep breath, so too were drawn up all those images she’d recalled. Had she not always been able to stand up for herself? Had it not felt so much better to go from letting some sunny little upstart verbally push her back over a chair to rising up nice and tall to eclipse her? “I am Luna of Equestria, and I am a confident mare.”

“Ah, there you are.” Rarity was nicely pleased with the results. “I’m sure we’ve all missed this Luna. So why don’t you head out there and show the world?”

“Thanks ever so much for the chat, Rarity. I think this is exactly what I needed.” Head held higher than it might’ve been for some time, she pushed open the boutique door.

“Just don’t forget to swing back by later to borrow the shirt and tie, darling. Ta for now.” She sighed as she watched her go and finally returned to her work.


Luna’s hooves tread along a familiar path, skirting the long laid indents of wagon wheels leaving the premises. Why, she hadn’t been up this way since the night after the Summer Sun Celebration. At the time, a kind new friend was guiding her as a different mare entirely. But she remembered the way well enough.

A funny sight caught her attention. So Luna left the trail and propped herself upon the wooden fence. She eased off a little bit when it creaked under her weight, though, and set down the boxes. A good view was easy enough to maintain, though, and she couldn’t help herself but grin, watching Trixie go.

Great beads of sweat formed heavy upon her straining brow as Trixie lifted with all the might her magic could muster. The big rolled bale of hay, possibly twice her own size, rose to meet the other two, gingerly setting down upon them as the cart creaked. Huffing, she sidled along and knocked the side, signalling to Big Mac, who nodded back at her and pulled away. She collapsed onto a nearby stump to catch her breath, drying her face on a patchy purple neckerchief, possibly a borrowed rag belonging to the Apple family.

“My, my, look at you.” cooed Luna.

“Gak!” yelped Trixie, stumbling back over, prompting a howling bout of laughter out of Luna. Pulling herself up, Trixie groaned. “Ugh, how is it I keep managing to embarrass myself in front of you?”

Luna waved it off as she began to walk over. “Nonsense, Trixie, it’s fiiiiine, it’s fine! Aw, stop pouting so much.”

Trixie didn’t know it, but she helped Luna feel like less of a princess. By disobeying this order rather flagrantly. In fact, she began to pout even harder. “I don’t see why I should. What are you, my mother?”

“I’m certainly old enough to be.” teased Luna. But then she pondered that line of thinking more than not at all. “Which is, admittedly, something of a scary thought.”

She who had yet to cease her pouting now showed she had yet to begin to frown. Her cheeks went flush, and in a tinny whine, she asked: “Would that really be so bad?”

“No!” pleaded Luna, now being the one to nearly fall back. “No, no, not at all. I-I meant, rather, that I don’t think I’m ready to be a mother. That’s all. Honest.”

Unimpressed, Trixie crossed her hooves, setting down with an angry little plop, turning away from her. “As if.”

“Hrm.” Luna came over the fence now, with a single beat of her wings, setting down gently by her side. Ginger but firm, not unlike gingerbread in fact, she placed one hoof upon Trixie’s shoulder. “Hey, come now. If anything, I’m quite proud of you.”

This brought her head about so fast, Luna was certain she might have heard a crack. Though, that might have been her hair whipping around. Finally wearing a sweet face to replace the sour one, Trixie said: “Really?!”

“Alright, calm down a tad, first of all.” chuckled Luna, patting her across the back. “Second, yes, actually. Last I was told, you weren’t handling a life of labor too well.”

“O-oh, well--”

“Worse yet,” interrupted Luna, leaning in closer now, “you were allegedly acting rather rudely to my good friend, Applejack, who had welcomed you into her home out of the kindness of her heart.”

“Ah, yes.” said Trixie plainly. “That.”

“Have you sorted that out yet?” asked Luna. Easing her hooves a spell, she sat on down next to Ponyville’s latest rancher.

“Applejack had a little chat with me, yeah.” Trixie practically shivered at the thought. Despite being a few inches taller, she knew that denser build of hers was serious business. “But you know, it’s strange.”

Now that got Luna’s attention. Raising one brow, she asked her: “How do you mean?”

“It’s just that what really got to me was when she mentioned you.” Trixie rotated her hoof about, her eyes rolling off the other way. “Don’t get me wrong, I know AJ could trounce me. But somehow… the thought of disappointing you hurt more?”

Luna leaned back, and her wandering gaze found the listless clouds of sleepy autumn already trawling past. Her eyes glazed over somewhat. “Do you really look up to me that much?”

“I mean, yeah, I guess.” Trixie fiddled with a pebble between the blades of grass. She hadn’t gotten a response like that since she showed her father her first routine.

“I don’t mean to seem ungrateful, Trixie. It’s… touching.” Tentative, Luna put one wing over Trixie’s shoulder, tender, but not too much so. “I suppose I’m still not used to the idea that anypony might think highly of me, given my messy past.”

Tapping her chin, Trixie conceded. “Hrm, I can totally see that.”

“Also, the last pony who said she looked up to me turned out to be rather infatuated with me as well.” A nervous little laugh got through. She shook her head, leaning down to say: “It was a tad awkward.”

Although she had since cooled off from moving those heavy bales, Trixie’s cheeks went flush again. Meeting Luna’s searching eyes, she grimaced. She fiddled her hooves together and told her: “I wouldn’t worry about that with me. I think I’m… still figuring myself out?”

A stray hoof of Luna’s found its way to scratching at her jaw before running past and over side then back of her neck. She sighed and said: “Um, you know, I think I am too.”

“I dunno, Luna. You seem pretty collected to me.” Trixie’s face tightened up as Luna looked at her with this exasperated air. Shortly, her eyes opened up like a pair of blooming lilacs in the sun. “Oh, you meant it like that, duh.”

Gaps in the lazy clouds overhead ran shimmers of light over Luna’s face, and her expression warmed with a little more of an easiness. “Way back so long ago, things seemed so obvious and straightforward. But maybe they never were. Maybe I was just going along with what was expected of me, meeting with handsome knights and nobles. Now I come back, and the norm has changed. I can finally decide for myself what it is I want.”

Sheepish and incredulous all at once, like a skeptical lamb, Trixie grinned at her. “And what is it you want, Luna?”

Luna covered up her warm little smile. Fleeting by on soft feathered wings, her heart nearly slipped away, as the timid flutter became almost tangible. Shy reluctance kept the words at bay for a moment, but she felt she could trust this magician who she’d watched mature, even if the slightest bit. “Cute girls.”

“Well ain’t you two chummy.” The daunting drawl cut the giggles short. Applejack smirked as the two clambered to their feet to stand up straight before her. For Trixie, she understood the desire to seem proper and on top of things. The funny one was Luna, back straight and chin high.

“Sorry for slacking off, miss Applejack.” said Trixie in the best mixture of stern professionalism and sincere apologia she could manage. “I hadn’t had the chance to catch up with… my good friend, Luna, here.”

Luna’s ears perked to the sound of that. “Yes, quite. It’s my fault for distracting her, Applejack.”

“Aw now, I didn’t come round just to harangue ya none. If anything, I am pleasantly surprised at how much you’ve gotten done today. Why don’tcha head on to the house for some lunch, Trix?” She beckoned and Trixie excitedly darted past her like a bolt of blue lightning. AJ scoffed, shook her head, and smirked. This was still an improvement. Peering back at Luna, she said: “Would you care to join? I’m sure there’s enough cornbread.”

“I do enjoy your cornbread, Applejack, but I didn’t intend to stay long.” Luna pointed over to the fence. “Rarity sent me to drop those off for you, along with her warmest regards.”

“That’s mighty fine, long as you don’t kiss me on the cheek for her.” teased Applejack. She began to make her way over to the boxes lying beside the fence post.

Luna followed along, saying: “Ha, don’t worry, she didn’t request anything more personal than that.” As they walked, Luna nudged her. “I might have if she asked me, though, just to watch you hide your face behind that hat of yours again.”

“Oh hardy har har.” whickered Applejack. She presented her shoulders and let Luna’s magic place her boxes across them. She glanced back across the gentle rolling hill. Granny Smith was beckoning her to get some food. But another thought occurred. “Say.”

After landing on the other side of the fence, Luna debated hopping back. She stayed where she was, though, and sidled up to speak over the wood. “Yes?”

“We had a slip up with a couple cases of cider earlier, and that’s gonna take some time to replace. But I was gonna take a basket of apples out to Fluttershy’s cottage today.” AJ frowned the frown of a prideful worker, none too fond of her mistake this morning, or asking for help. But with an uncomfortable gulp, she swallowed some of that pride. “Would mind too terribly saving me a trip so I can get things done here?”

“AJ.” cooed Luna. She leaned upon the fence post, finding it sturdier, and simply smiled. “You needn’t sound so ashamed of requesting a small favor. Why, I’d be happy to help.”


Running errands for her friends wasn’t exactly how Luna pictured her day going. Briefly, she pondered again the pages of notes she’d meant to work on, so she might readily answer relevant questions with greater coherency. Though perhaps that was less necessary than she feared. If nothing else, the bright sun and fresh air had done wonders for clearing her worried head, just as Hope suggested.

Her hooves skipped across the grass as she came to a stop, right before the cottage door. Luna reached out and gave a light rap-tap-tap. “Hello, Fluttershy? Are you in by chance?”

“Here, lemme get that for ya.” came a voice more brash than that of the owner of the humble abode. When the door swung in, it was Rainbow Dash beyond the frame. “Well hey there, Luna. Thought that was you.”

“Ah, Dash.” Luna sheepishly presented the basket. “Don’t let me interrupt you two, Applejack sent these.”

Fluttershy’s head appeared further in, beyond the corner of wall separating the kitchen. “Rainbow, did you say that was Luna? Luna, hi!”

“I won’t keep you, I’m just dropping off these apples and I’ll be on my way.” Luna let Rainbow take them off her hooves and began to turn about.

“Nonsense, it isn’t any bother.” bade Fluttershy, stepping out into full frame beyond the veil of cutlery and an old wood burning stove. The word “rustic” certainly came to mind, and Luna felt the fuzzy memories of the Apple family kitchen tickle the back of her head.

“You’re treating guests.” noted Luna, nodding to Rainbow who set the basket of apples down on a table in the back near that frame which led to the kitchen.

“We did just finish our lunch.” admitted Fluttershy. “But I have some tea on, if you’d like a cup.”

Luna peered at Rainbow, locking eyes with her. In a brief, silent moment, she attempted to gauge how private an affair this was, and if Fluttershy was simply being polite. When she got a churlish grin and a flick of the head to beckon her in, Luna said: “Well, since you insist. One cup won’t hurt.”

And hurt it didn’t. Fluttershy had even dived into the far back of her pantry for the nicest tea at hoof, just for her friends. “Dragon pearl tea.” she explained to Luna, placing curious little tightly wound balls in to steep. “It’s a little on the pricey side, since the ‘pearls’ are manually rolled up like you see. But it’s worth it for special guests.”

It was a rich delight, something Luna hadn’t experienced for a decent little while. The taste, with just a touch of sugar and milk, was smooth and bold, with an almost chocolate like quality. Halfway through, Luna deeply considered asking for a second cup. Then again, she didn’t want to impose upon Fluttershy and take from her more expensive stock. Especially since her arrival and being given a drink was duly unprompted.

“By the way.” Rainbow got Luna’s attention. She scratched at her cheek, uncertain about how to proceed with this line of thought.

“Mm? Yes, Rainbow?”

“Well I mean, it’s just, like, you’re already running around today. Doing errands, and such.” Dash swirled what remained in her own cup and downed it.

Quirking one brow, Luna asked: “Oh? Did you have one you needed help with?”

“There’s one I was gonna run for Fluttershy before getting back to the weather team, yeah.” She leaned over to Fluttershy who seemed rather disapproving of her pawning this off. Nevertheless, a blue hoof went over that yellow shoulder. Batting her lashes, Dash said: “Buuuuut if you’d be a pal, I could hang with Flutters just a little bit longer.”

Chuckling, Luna nodded. “I don’t see why not. What needs doing, Fluttershy?”

Fluttershy looked at Rainbow, seeping zero confidence. Her grimace was met with a look of hope. So she turned to Luna and said: “I keep chickens, and, well, I send some spare eggs when I can to…” She bit her lip, nervous to continue on. “To Pinkie Pie for her baking job.”

Luna’s smile faded in an instant. Her eyes swiveled in place to affix Rainbow Dash in a look of pure dagger thrusting spite. But her fury faded as rapidly as it arrived. Sighing, she resigned herself. “I understand your trepidations. But refusing to be around her isn’t going to improve…” She gestured vaguely. “This whole situation.”

“You really don’t have to do this, Luna.” Fluttershy firmly nudged Rainbow Dash, who let out a mild “oof,” and let go. “I’m sure Rainbow won’t mind keeping her original promise to me. Isn’t that right, Dash?”

“Okay, okay, yeesh.” Rainbow rubbed at her ribs in a small circle.

Luna watched them bicker a moment, Fluttershy insisting she hadn’t meant to hit her that hard. They talked about Luna and Pinkie, and that maybe now wasn’t the best time. While that went on a tiny bit longer, Luna enjoyed the last of that wonderful tea Fluttershy had made. Pondering the cup, and the kindness of its offering, she made up her mind. When setting the cup into the saucer with a firm clink, she told them: “Girls, it’s quite alright. I’ll be happy to make another delivery for a friend of mine.”


With a wholly new basket in the crook of her hoof, Luna found herself landing gently upon that familiar intersection. There, as its name suggested, sat the bakery on the corner. A couple patrons were just leaving, as noted by the bell, which felt as though it chimed for her. The clanging silenced the world around her, beckoning on like the siren’s song. And Luna was about to go crashing upon the rocks.

The bell rang once more, announcing her arrival. The counters were unran, betrayed by the din and clamor further in. No doubt, the kitchen was a busy place today. From beyond the doors which led into them, a voice rose. “Pinkie, can you check on that?”

“Of course.” whispered Luna under her breath. But that thought shook right out of her when she saw Pinkie. Her hair was straight, she slouched when she walked, and horrible bags had developed under her eyes.

“Welcome to Sugarcube Corner, how can I help… you?” Pinkie’s tired eyes widened.

Without even thinking twice, Luna reached across the counter that separated them, cupping Pinkie’s surprised cheek. “Are you feeling alright?”

Pinkie reflexively pulled away. “U-uh, yeah, I’m fine. I just haven’t been sleeping well lately, alright?”

Luna withdrew her hoof, mouth growing tight. “I’m… sorry if I offended you? I was simply concerned for… Well, perhaps I shouldn’t have touched you like that.”

“Yeah, and I also don’t need your pity.” Pinkie huffed, clenching her teeth up tight, lest any more venom dribble out like that. Her searching eyes darted uncertainly, though, as it surprised even her. Gripping at her cheek, where Luna had touched it, she spoke up again. “A-anyway, how I can I help you?”

More reserved now, Luna referred to the basket. “Fluttershy sent you some eggs. There you go.”

As Luna turned to go, Pinkie weakly held out her hoof, reaching out. But it was too late. The bell chimed once more, and she was gone. She slumped behind the counter, meeting her reflection in the sliding glass pane between her and the cupcakes display. “Ughhhhhhhhh, what was that? What came over me just now?”

Her reflection in the glass answered her, bitingly. “Isn’t it simply exasperating how they all condescend to you? Poor little Pinkie, they don’t think you can take basic care of yours--”

“Nope.” Pinkie bolted away from the glass and snatched up the basket. “I-I don’t have time to be dozing off and talking to myself in my dreams again. Got a bunch of work to catch up on.”


Luna was still trying to calm herself down as she descended the hill back home. Not having had lunch was of little help. As the pangs finally settled over her stomach, all she could think about was that aggressive snipe from Pinkie. How could she?

“Hrm, m-maybe I shouldn’t have stormed off, though.” Luna’s hooves scuffed along the cobbles. Pinkie clearly wasn’t in a good place, so perhaps she could have insisted on staying to see about that. Could it be that Sunset wasn’t the only one in need of a lesson in patience?

That’s about when she noticed the two strangers loitering by her front door. They seemed to be wearing light piecemeal armor, and had what looked like heavy bags on the ground beside them. One saw her, she was a tall unicorn with broad shoulders; she pointed Luna out to the squat pegasus beside her, who was the vaguest bit familiar.

“Luna, hi!” beamed the pegasus, picking up into a trot. Her identity became a bit more apparent when that shade of reddish pink finally became apparent in the gaps between her armor. It was--

“Officer Ruby Glade!” spat the taller of the two, and Ruby halted immediately. Her coat was white with veiny thin lines of gray, like the immaculate stone statues of old were oft rendered from. Her experience-lined eyes of onyx met Ruby’s tangerine irises as she lowered. With a mere grimace, she shaped Ruby into a proper soldier’s posture. “You are addressing the lady who is to be our charge, and I expect you to be respectful.”

There was a lot there to address all at once. “Charge?” Luna sized this soldier up. She wasn’t as tall as her, but she definitely looked a bit sterner. While no doubt, she could likely best her in a contest of magic, she didn’t want to pit her strength against hers. “Excuse me, who are you, and what are you two doing here?”

The stout unicorn mare clicked her hooves together and raised her chin high. “Knight captain Marble Glade, at your service my lady.”

“Say what now?” Out of the corner of her eye, Luna spotted Hope in the window of the library. Seems this Marble woman got her attention with that little shout. She gave Hope a questioning look, but all she got in return was a hapless shrug, just as confused as she was.

“Lady Luna,” added Ruby in her best (but still lackluster) attempt at warrior’s barking, “w-we are hereby assigned to the protection of your person, until such a time as the existential threat which you have previously discussed with the princesses Twilight and Sunset is no longer a risk to you.” She peered up at Marble, who bequeathed the tiniest of smirks and a nod. Anything further would break their formation of two, which is unacceptable.

Luna blinked in silence a moment, piecing this all together. She could feel a sense of pressure building behind the temples of her skull. An errant hoof of hers began a form of worship at one of those temples, rubbing softly in small circles. Exhausted in the very way one might be after running around town all day, she sighed. “Aw, you have got to be kidding.”

Author's Note:

I live. And am exhausted. I should give this another pass but here it is for now. But alas I must pause again. I'm in the grocery business and it's that time of year, folks. So work has been hectic to say the least of it.

Anyway, I think that scene with Trixie is my most favorite thing I've ever written. I laughed at my own jokes, and hey. Isn't that what really matters? Now I'm going to go fry some eggs and maybe have a stout.